Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,728
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

If you’ve been Working 9 to 5, or longer, why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited June 2014
    BBC footie coverage shows new tv angle which proves suarez bang to rights, a clear bite and deffo not a failed butt...

TSE - what's the current position on Suarez vs England goals? If a tie, do you lose?

My unwelcome winnings on SL may yet secure Suarez as a belated spurs player! Will give his agent a bell and see if he bites.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited June 2014
    Nighthawks open early - Is this because we're all hacked of?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Nighthawks is now open
    Feck: I am still sober!

:other-measurements-may-differ:
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Smarmeron said:

"Theresa May: There is no surveillance state"

"She concluded by renewing a call to change the law to hand the security services more powers to scrutinise online communication - a bid that has previously been blocked by the Liberal Democrats."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28006739

Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

"There is no programme of mass surveillance and there is no surveillance state,"

Whatever you say, Theresa, whatever you say. And there's no problem with passport delays either, right?

Not a clue.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,735

BBC footie coverage shows new tv angle which proves suarez bang to rights, a clear bite and deffo not a failed butt...

TSE - what's the current position on Suarez vs England goals? If a tie, do you lose?

My unwelcome winnings on SL may yet secure Suarez as a belated spurs player! Will give his agent a bell and see if he bites.

Suarez has to score more than England.

A tie is no good.

You're all being very harsh on Luis, all because his goals knocked England out.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    COULSON for ENGLAND !

At least, he could have hacked a few Italians and Uruguyans !
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Tonight is date night for me, so I had get my piece up early.

Ahem.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040

A tie is no good.

What is the FIFA discliplinary procedure - can a red card be issued retrospectively ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2014
    GIN1138 said:

"Don't ask me. I couldn't give a monkey's about any of this rubbish.

If it was up to me Coulson would still be in Downing St and Hacked Off would be told to p*ss off."
    ......................................................................................

I do not want a government that I support knowingly employing criminals or condoning their activities and frankly neither should you.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A tie is no good.

What is the FIFA discliplinary procedure - can a red card be issued retrospectively ?
    Not sure.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Looks like the Comprehensive educated lad takes the rap for his superiors.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A tie is no good.

Not sure.
    I don't think red cards can but bans certainly can - but only if the referee either didn't see the incident or admits he was wrong.
  • Options
    Did any bookies have a market on Suarez biting someone?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

What's the bet that had he been to Eton or married a daddy's girl he would have walked away free ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,032
    Mr. Eagles, there are worse things than standing alone. Cameron's better off standing up for Britain, and failing, then ceding to Europe and being a friend of convenience to foreign leaders (cf Tony Blair and giving away half our rebate for nothing).
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

GIN1138 said:

Ahem.
    Premature posting?

Not a good sign.
  • Options
    19 is just stupid. If Scotland got independence, we wouldn't do it through repealing the 1707 Act. We'd just do a new Government of Scotland Act, like we did for Ireland.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

There was a tweet of someone with a bet on this in the previous tread. Not sure it was real or not!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, there are worse things than standing alone. Cameron's better off standing up for Britain, and failing, then ceding to Europe and being a friend of convenience to foreign leaders (cf Tony Blair and giving away half our rebate for nothing).

Indeed MD. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

''Your Prime Minister employed a criminal and brought him into No.10.'

Are you going to tell us which crime Coulson was convicted of prior to being employed by No 10 or is it just another of your idiotic comments?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    According to the Beeb. some one, or group, has just shot up a Saudi airliner in Pakistan.

This will not go down well in the noble house of Saud?
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

If it was up to me Coulson would still be in Downing St and Hacked Off would be told to p*ss off."
    ......................................................................................

I do not want a government that I support knowingly employing criminals or condoning their activities and frankly neither should you.

It's very sad when so-called conservatives abandon moral principles to make a partisan point.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

GIN1138 said:

Ahem.
    Premature posting?

Not a good sign.
    There's no such thing as premature posting, only perfect timing.

It's not my fault people can't keep up with my pace.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Socrates said:

19 is just stupid. If Scotland got independence, we wouldn't do it through repealing the 1707 Act. We'd just do a new Government of Scotland Act, like we did for Ireland.

Quite. You'd repeal or amend the relevant parts of the Act. Not repeal the entire thing. Sledgehammer and fly comes to mind.
  • Options
    RobD said:

There was a tweet of someone with a bet on this in the previous tread. Not sure it was real or not!
    yes, someone has sent me a screenshot of it.
    I wanted to check with the experts on obscure betting.
    Which is you lot. :-)

• Options
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

Are you going to tell us which crime Coulson was convicted of prior to being employed by No 10 or is it just another of your idiotic comments?

My belief is that the Tories did want to employ who would get dirty stories about opponents. People in the know did know what the Murdoch press was upto !
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, quite, although I'd prefer to live on my feet ;)

The fact is if we allow our sovereignty to be continually eroded on the excuse of economic benefit we've reduced ourselves to head of cattle to be bought and sold by those who know better. Democratic legitimacy and political accountability demand that Parliament be sovereign.

In an ideal world I'd agree with Cameron on renegotiation, but I have the firm belief that the European Union is a cabal of shysters, deluded idealists, fanatical federalists and outright crooks who would sooner eat their own feet than honourably deal with renegotiation. These are the same minds that brought us the economic wonder of the eurozone, and there is nothing to convince me they're any wiser when it comes to democracy and legitimacy.

The merry peacock Juncker received how many votes in this nation?

Mr. Smarmeron, to be fair it is entirely valid to be angered when some lunatics blow up an aeroplane.
  • Options
    Clarkson is at the Brooks party.

Hope they spare a thought for absent friends.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

It's very sad when so-called conservatives abandon moral principles to make a partisan point.
    There's nothing "partisan" about it. I just don't care about this and never have.

I did get a bit more concerned about the Milly Dowler side of things, but even that turned out to be not as The Guardian had been spinning it...

At least I'm consistent.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The cricket today was a lot more exciting than England's football match.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Yorkcity said:

To be fair, Yorkcity I too thought "Essex boy done over by the poshos". Solidarity and all that! But Rebekah turns out to have a similar background, although of course her (current) husband doesn't.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    I was thinking more in terms of the Sunni/Shiite problem, rather than it being a random target.
    It could of course be co-incidental.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I bet she throw's a great party...
  • Options
    Mr. Smarmeron, a fair point. Not sure which way Pakistan falls on that front.
  • Options
    @Yorkcity
    "Hope they spare a thought for absent friends. "

David and Samantha?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

There's nothing "partisan" about it. I just don't care about this and never have.

I did get a bit more concerned about the Milly Dowlerside of things, but even that turned out to be not as The Guardian has been spinning it...

At least I'm consistent.

God forbid anything unpleasant happens to you or those you care about and then hope those you rely on to rectify the situation don't share your "just don't care" attitude.

Yes you are "consistent". Pray that such consistency doesn't cost you dear.

• Options

Mr. Pubgoer, quite, although I'd prefer to live on my feet ;)

The fact is if we allow our sovereignty to be continually eroded on the excuse of economic benefit we've reduced ourselves to head of cattle to be bought and sold by those who know better. Democratic legitimacy and political accountability demand that Parliament be sovereign.

In an ideal world I'd agree with Cameron on renegotiation, but I have the firm belief that the European Union is a cabal of shysters, deluded idealists, fanatical federalists and outright crooks who would sooner eat their own feet than honourably deal with renegotiation. These are the same minds that brought us the economic wonder of the eurozone, and there is nothing to convince me they're any wiser when it comes to democracy and legitimacy.

The merry peacock Juncker received how many votes in this nation?

Mr. Smarmeron, to be fair it is entirely valid to be angered when some lunatics blow up an aeroplane.

We will get royally shafted in any renegotiation.
    We have a better chance of winning the World Cup
    It was summed up quite nicely in Yes Prime Minister
    Hacker: Do we ever get our way in negotiations with the French.
    Sir Humphrey: Well, sometimes.
    Hacker: When was the last time?
    Sir Humphrey: Battle of Waterloo 1815
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yorkcity said:

I bet she throw's a great party...
    I imagine she does gin.
    Must be a great weight of your shoulders knowing you are not guilty.

The thought of a prison sentence must be a nightmare, what ever the tabloids say about it being easy street.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited June 2014
    The News of the World illegally intercepted hundreds of private messages Mr Blunkett had left on phones belonging to close friends, including intimate voicemails that revealed an affair and would ultimately destroy his cabinet career.

"It was devastating in terms of my life's work," he said. "I'd given everything to become in a position to make a difference to people's lives, to become a cabinet member, to be able to carry out the things that I wanted to do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27885198

Save the water works and the BBC soft soaping. There are plenty of proper examples of press behaving truly appallingly, but this also involved more than just an affair.

If he cared so much about wrecking your life work that started with the People's Republic of South Yorkshire and finished as an appalling home secretary, you should have thought about all of this before he went shagging around. Same with Prescott.

Also, as only briefly mentioned in the soft soaping article there was more to this story than just getting caught with his trousers down.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Could it be....
    Twitter
    NHL EXPERT PICKS @NHLexpertpicks · 1h
    The Experts applaud this Norwegian who apparently put a bet on Suarez biting an opponent and cashed in!
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2014
    Coulson 'sentence' will unleash the "Wrath of Murdoch". And what will Wee { Ed / Eck } have as a defence...?

The next months will see! Lib-Dhimmies-for-DIM-ED-and-DUMMER-ECK will not swing the next election....

:already-placed-bets:
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

I did get a bit more concerned about the Milly Dowlerside of things, but even that turned out to be not as The Guardian has been spinning it...

At least I'm consistent.

God forbid anything unpleasant happens to you or those you care about and then hope those you rely on to rectify the situation don't share your "just don't care" attitude.

Well the folks at Hacked Off have got what they wanted (partially) justice is being done and being seen to be done. Ten's of millions have been spent investigating this. A newspaper was closed down. Murdoch had his wings clipped, Rebekah got away, but Coulson will be spending time at Her Majesty's Pleasure any day.

What's the problem?

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Alan Haynes ‏@Aphaynes mbp 3m
    Suarez should have waited for Uruguay to play Germany. I hear they do an excellent shoulder of Lahm
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

My belief is that the Tories did want to employ who would get dirty stories about opponents. People in the know did know what the Murdoch press was upto !

I dare say you also believe that Tories eat babies - it does not alter that fact that your claim is nonsense.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Hello everyone,

We're watching Colombia and Japan on Bbc3 - Yeah!-

I'm just here to pass on this advice from the ST on trying to cheer yourselves up after an Engexit

"[try doing] something different (eg fill in your wall chart with a different-colour pen)"
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

Well the folks at Hacked Off have got what they wanted (partially) justice is being done and being seen to be done. Ten's of millions have been spent investigating this. A newspaper was closed down. Murdoch had his wings clipped, Rebekah got away, but Coulson will be spending time at Her Majesty's Pleasure any day.

What's the problem?

The law has and continues to take its course. You seem to believe it's fine to pick and choose which criminal laws you or the press should obey.

It's a somewhat perverse position for a Conservative to take !?!

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Mr W that's a hoot.

I assume your defence is the word "knowingly" ?

Otherwise just about every post-war government has employed criminals. You probably know some.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

So, why did your Prime Minister apologise ?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'My belief is that the Tories did want to employ who would get dirty stories about opponents. People in the know did know what the Murdoch press was upto !'

So you are confirming it was yet another of your idiotic comments.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Language miscommunication can always be a problem.

Obviously someone told Suárez to give a nail-biting finish to the match...
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

The law has and continues to take its course. You seem to believe it's fine to pick and choose which criminal laws you or the press should obey.

I'm more "freelance" with my votes and opinions really. ;)

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    With regard to the Suarez biting,any action to be taken comes within the purview of the FIFA disciplinary code para 77 which states:

"77 Specific jurisdiction
    The Disciplinary Committee is responsible for:
    a) sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match
    officials’ attention;
    b) rectifying obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions;
    c) extending the duration of a match suspension incurred automatically by
    an expulsion (cf. art 18, par. 4);
    d) pronouncing additional sanctions, such as a fine."
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

What's the bet that had he been to Eton or married a daddy's girl he would have walked away free ?
    Are you questioning the intelligence and judgement of the jury, or suggesting something more sinister?

Rebekah Brooks was educated at a state comprehensive.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

That question's the wrong way round. It should be why do Labour never apologise for their screw ups ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    Only 3% think Ed M looks like a PM from a list of post war party leaders, Churchill came top, Foot, Gaitskill, IDS, Home and Howard tied last
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5711578/Mili-even-less-Prime-Ministerial-than-Brown.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

Probably because he unknowingly employed someone who made assurances to him which turned out to be false and that person is now a convicted criminal and will be going to jail soon...

• Options

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Mr W that's a hoot.

Otherwise just about every post-war government has employed criminals. You probably know some.
    1. "Hoot" is a word commonly associated with the Labour Party.

2. "Knowingly" is a cast iron defence.

3. I probably do.

• Options
    The Polish press suspect it was the Russians that leaked the Polish government comments about the UK:

http://www.pb.pl/3742120,80887,government-at-war-with-the-coal-mafia?dimension=305
  • Options
    @HYUFD

Interesting poll, would the top choices be prime ministers of recent times perhaps?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Mr W that's a hoot.

3. I probably do.

Care to name and shame?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2014
    Pleased George tapped Ed Balls on the nose(did a metaphorical Fabricant) Balls has been silent for months.(is he scheming to overthrow ED M?)
  • Options
    surbiton to be fair Aitken was jailed despite being an Old Etonian and ex girlfriend of Carol Thatcher
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Mr W that's a hoot.

3. I probably do.

Care to name and shame?

I hope Mike Smithson will continue to enjoy the fruits of his fine creation for many years to come.

• Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Mr W that's a hoot.

3. I probably do.

Care to name and shame?

I hope Mike Smithson will continue to enjoy the fruits of his fine creation for many years to come.

I thought we was going to get some juicy NOTW type gossip then! :(

• Options
    Smarmeron The top choices were Churchill then Thatcher then Blair, Cameron was sixth after Wilson and John Smith
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    HYUFD said:

Only 3% think Ed M looks like a PM from a list of post war party leaders, Churchill came top, Foot, Gaitskill, IDS, Home and Howard tied last
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5711578/Mili-even-less-Prime-Ministerial-than-Brown.html

Does anyone think there is an orchestrated media campaign against Miliband?

I don't just mean that the press is attacking him - rather that all over the press they are saying he doesn't look like a PM - ie exactly the same line of attack is being used.

Is it part of a co-ordinated strategy - ie in a few weeks time the press will all move on to a different line of attack.

So this is just the first stage if the exercise - a general softening up by means of a quasi personal attack - then next everyone moves onto a different line - eg that he'll raise taxes.
  • Options
    A highly enjoyable couple of hours of sport rather ruined by the Colombian manager resting my two Dream Team players.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

Probably because he unknowingly employed someone who made assurances to him which turned out to be false and that person is now a convicted criminal and will be going to jail soon...

Channel 4 news stated.

Gin

In his oral evidence at the Leveson inquiry, Mr Cameron said he remembered the meeting in his office in May 2007 and remembered seeking the assurances there. Quite a moment, you might think, and one that would stay in Andy Coulson’s mind. The prime-minister-in-waiting eyeballs you about your probity before hiring you to be No 10 press chief in-waiting. Funny, then, that Andy Coulson remembers no such thing happening. - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/coulson-verdict-blog-publish/28549#sthash.D0AsOYrk.dpuf

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/coulson-verdict-blog-publish/28549
  • Options
    [Does anyone think there is an orchestrated media campaign against Miliband?

I don't just mean that the press is attacking him - rather that all over the press they are saying he doesn't look like a PM - ie exactly the same line of attack is being used.

Is it part of a co-ordinated strategy - ie in a few weeks time the press will all move on to a different line of attack.

So this is just the first stage if the exercise - a general softening up by means of a quasi personal attack - then next everyone moves onto a different line - eg that he'll raise taxes.]

There's nothing orchestrated about it - *Ed is Crap* just pops into 80% of politico's brains whenever he opens his gob - It ain't *Pre-prepared*
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    so.. Suarez just wanted to prove his loyalty to Liverpool by fending off any of that unwelcome spanish interest...
  • Options
    @HYUFD

Did Thatcher look "prime ministerial" before her election? I seem to remember that some harboured doubts, even within her own party?
  • Options
    MikeL To be fair there was even a letter in the Guardian today by someone saying he could not listen to Ed M for very long regardless of how good his policies were and he did not look like a leader. The papers follow the polls, all consistently showing he does not look like a PM, the same was true with Kinnock, strong leaders can withstand what the papers throw at them
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MikeL said:

Does anyone think there is an orchestrated media campaign against Miliband?

Now who would want to do that...

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/06/theres-poison-in-the-shadow-cabinet-and-it-could-cost-ed-miliband-the-election
  • Options
    @SkyNews: FIFA To Investigate Suarez Incident http://t.co/ZWq4bCmXgb
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    JBriskin said:

[Does anyone think there is an orchestrated media campaign against Miliband?

So this is just the first stage if the exercise - a general softening up by means of a quasi personal attack - then next everyone moves onto a different line - eg that he'll raise taxes.]

There's nothing orchestrated about it - *Ed is Crap* just pops into 80% of politico's brains whenever he opens his gob - It ain't *Pre-prepared*

Well there was something similar against William Hague. As soon as Cameron was elected Tory leader there was endless comment about his so called 'posh' background (when at the end of the day he was just the son of a common or garden stockbroker)

The question to ask is why no one complains about posh boy Farage who went to a fancy private school and worked as a city slicker. Senior levels of UKIP are packed with Old Etonians. The abilities of people to have total blind spots on on hand and be total bigots on the other is an interesting point I think.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    HYUFD said:

MikeL To be fair there was even a letter in the Guardian today by someone saying he could not listen to Ed M for very long regardless of how good his policies were and he did not look like a leader. The papers follow the polls, all consistently showing he does not look like a PM, the same was true with Kinnock, strong leaders can withstand what the papers throw at them

Oh sure - I'm not complaining - I want him to lose.

My point is just that the message everywhere is the same and it's a very specific message.

But I don't think the message is going to be the same every week till next May - I think it'll change at some point.

I've always thought that the absolutely overwhelming line of attack is going to be that Labour = Tax Bombshell. With Waste / Welfare / Borrowing / Debt as the secondary issues.
  • Options
    Thought this was an interesting view, from a Labour supporter:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/crisis-labour-party-ed-miliband
  • Options

so.. Suarez just wanted to prove his loyalty to Liverpool by fending off any of that unwelcome spanish interest...

Shocking. He should get a 12 month global ban or a lifetime ban from FIFA competition. THREE TIMES?!?
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to three points: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 17s
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to three points: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Greeks looking promising.

I missed the snore draw earlier, should have gone all guns blazing and at least create some excitement.

And todays ursine forest revalation: Tabloid journalists have no respect for privacy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Tonights You Gov

LAB 341 CON 265 LD 18 Other 26 (ukpr)

Ed is crap is PM 10.5 MONTHS TO GO
  • Options

Shocking. He should get a 12 month global ban or a lifetime ban from FIFA competition. THREE TIMES?!?
    Fairly shocking, indeed. Only a matter of time before someone loses an ear. He just seems to be unable to control himself, on occasion. Its odd, I don't believe I've bitten anyone since I was about 3 yrs old. The again, I'm not a highly successful sportsman
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 17s

Ignore - Coulson and Suarez will see £d's army surging to 40% or more tomorrow.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MikeL said:

So this is just the first stage if the exercise - a general softening up by means of a quasi personal attack - then next everyone moves onto a different line - eg that he'll raise taxes.

I don't think the press works together - rather they pick up lines from each other. My former CLP chair had a call from the FT the other day and describes the conversation like this:

"What do you think of Ed Miliband?"
    "I think he's doing very well."
    "Oh. Well. Er. Well, what do the people you talk to think of how he's doing?"
    "They think he's doing fine."
    "Oh."

Presumably the reporter will ring 100 people who he thinks are CLP chairs (he's two years out of date in our case) and pick the two who say something critical. 'Twas always thus - I once had an interview lasting more than 2 hours for an "in depth" programme (the one with the Westmnister-as-crocodile sequence at the start): they used precisely half a sentence which fitted with their theme.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @FlightPath

"... posh boy Farage who went to a fancy private schoolposh boy Farage who went to a fancy private school..."

Didn't he go to Dulwich College? Same school as Alistair Campbell and I don't remember anyone moaning about it being a fancy public school when Campbell was bullying his way around Westminster.

This whole busyness of worrying about what school politicians' parents sent them to is really rather childish and pathetic.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    [The question to ask is why no one complains about posh boy Farage who went to a fancy private school and worked as a city slicker]

How many times do you people need to be told this????-

It's Because He Clearly Likes Drinking Pints In The Pub

As someone who likes pints in the pub he will always have an element of kudos points from me.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

If so why didn't it happen while he was in no 10? He had plenty of time.

Remind me who was caught making up lies about opponents wives and who employed him.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At least I'm consistent.

What's the problem?

Brookes has been found not guilty... thats really quite important since Charley Brookes (also not guilty) was a friend of Cameron's. I don't see this lasting much longer ... and Cameron as by all accounts made a fair and fulsome apology. These events occurred when Labour was in power and the NOTW was supporting Labour and the politicised Met had shut down its enquiry. There is not much linkage to Cameron at all.
    We should remind ourselves that Maria Miller was found 'not guilty' by the standards committee and only gained opprobrium for a backhanded 'non-apology'.

How strong was the case against Brookes... how much was the prosecution piling on the kitchen sink in the hope of getting something?

• Options
    [(the one with the Westmnister-as-crocodile sequence at the start): ]

On The Record!!!!!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    World cup factoid from foxinsox jr:

Iran are now the only team left who have not scored.
  • Options
    Smarmeron Thatcher was closer to Callaghan than Miliband to Cameron I believe, and in 1979 crucially the Tories led Labour on the economy, Labour presently trail the Tories on the economy
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited June 2014

I expect that at his next press conference, Suarez will be wheeled out in a straight jacket, strapped to a sack barrow and wearing a hockey mask. The man clearly has serious issues.

• Options
    James Murdoch to the right of his father Rupert, according to Tom Bradby, is it possible to be to the right of Rupert Murdoch?
  • Options
    Erm - is this a parody account or...

Retweeted by Louise Mensch
    Steven Gerrard‏@SG8Official_·1 hr
    Luis Suarez can be banned from international football for two years, according to FIFA reports
  • Options
    Abi Titmuss and Sienna Miller explaning their victimhood on ITV now, a script for mock the week and Hislop and Merton in the making
  • Options
    @camillalong: Isn't spontaneous biting some kind of completely bonkers sexual compulsion? Love, Dr Long

@docbloomfield: @camillalong And to answer that we have to ask "Was the bite in self-defence?" If the answer's "no" than that could imply it was more sexual
This discussion has been closed.