Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Suggestion on Political Reform – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited February 2021 in General
A Suggestion on Political Reform – politicalbetting.com

1) An elected executive based on defined positions such as Education, Health, Police, Immigration etc. where each position is directly elected after:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting piece thank you.

I've often thought the executive should be split from the legislature.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Wouldn’t the proposed restriction of the franchise run counter to the UN Charter and get us expelled?

There is a reason why even corrupt dictatorships like China and Iran have theoretical democracies and elections,
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,994
    fpt for NPXMP

One of the few times I entirely agree with you. I've been amazed at how much Lockdown some of my most freedom-loving friends are willing to tolerate. A lot of people want the government to go full on Wuhan. No more flights. Sealed off neighbourhoods. Staple the doors of the obstinate. Use giant nets to catch quarantine-dodgers.

It's made me realise just how much Most People don't want to die, or even risk dying. And fair enough.

That's why I believe Covid vaccination will become compulsory, in fact or in practice. The large majority will demand it, some government will therefore enact it
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

fpt for NPXMP

One of the few times I entirely agree with you. I've been amazed at how much Lockdown some of my most freedom-loving friends are willing to tolerate. A lot of people want the government to go full on Wuhan. No more flights. Sealed off neighbourhoods. Staple the doors of the obstinate. Use giant nets to catch quarantine-dodgers.

It's made me realise just how much Most People don't want to die, or even risk dying. And fair enough.

That's why I believe Covid vaccination will become compulsory, in fact or in practice. The large majority will demand it, some government will therefore enact it

I think we should have closed the borders completely last March. Because its common sense that if the virus was in China and Italy at that time, and we shut the borders, it would have been pretty darn hard for it to get into the UK.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Very interesting, I'm not sure restricting the franchise is a good idea. People who are jmae to find jobs or unable to find jobs that meet the threshold need their voices heard as much as someone who pays a six figure sum in taxes per year. In fact I'd say the lower income/jobless person needs their voice heard more becuase they're living in the shit.

Some interesting concepts otherwise, a directly elected mutli-executive body is something I think I like the sound of but wouldn't work well in practice as the health president may have ideas that conflict with the education president but both win their respective elections.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,843
    ydoethur said:

Wouldn’t the proposed restriction of the franchise run counter to the UN Charter and get us expelled?

There is a reason why even corrupt dictatorships like China and Iran have theoretical democracies and elections,

All countries restrict the franchise in some way. My suggestion for income tax threshold would be about 2k including ni which is about an 18k salary....or the equivalent amount in volunteering hours if paid at minimum wage circa 200 a year
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

oh my it got published....ah well I expect I raised a few hackles but I was asked to submit it

I'm glad you did, it's a completely different take on how we can tackle the problems this country is facing. It's not something I'd pursue based on what you've written but I'm absolutely interested in some of the concepts.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

oh my it got published....ah well I expect I raised a few hackles but I was asked to submit it

Good on you and interesting
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Very interesting, I'm not sure restricting the franchise is a good idea. People who are jmae to find jobs or unable to find jobs that meet the threshold need their voices heard as much as someone who pays a six figure sum in taxes per year. In fact I'd say the lower income/jobless person needs their voice heard more becuase they're living in the shit.

Some interesting concepts otherwise, a directly elected mutli-executive body is something I think I like the sound of but wouldn't work well in practice as the health president may have ideas that conflict with the education president but both win their respective elections.

I did point out there would be other ways to earn the vote than purely tax. You arent excluding people merely saying you can have it but you have to give something back
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530
    Thanks to Pagan2 for the header.
  • Options
    Interesting thoughts, thank you for contributing.

I would reject them all, but good for you for putting them forward.

Your franchise idea makes me think of Heinlein's Starship Troopers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Well, it's innovative and imaginitve compared to most proposals.

I'm not sure about the conclusion for 1) though. Why could you not still end up with some rabble rousing idiot with no thought out proposals? Who is winnowing the candidates down?

On 2), that would be quite the change - in my experience people hate performing the role of scrutineer.

Agreed most law is gibberish, but making everything guidelines seems extreme.

On 4) what about proposals between elections? - Things will happen that need addressing presumably

Tax rises?! Hahahaha

Earning the right to vote is an interesting one, though I'm in favour of every yahoo voting.

But really, I suppose its easy to comment, and harder to speculate, and everyone should come up with their own ideas here.

This will take time.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Sweepstake on when the HoC is next that full?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
    Pagan2 said:

Interesting piece Pagan, quite thought-provoking and quite a lot in there I disagree with but good on you for having a go.

On the the tax threshold for voting, have you considered that anyone who spends on anything beyond food and clothes pays taxes (VAT and other duties)?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    No chance on the idea that you pay to play as a natural born citizen. Right there you are going against the liberal democratic foundations. The potential to disenfranchise is all too easy. Volunteering is all well and good but you think that would encourage the non tax paying to vote? Not a chance. They may well be the ones with the lowest participation rates to start with. Unless they take themselves out of normal society the right to vote is there even if they do not use it

The idea that people need to be clear on the tax makes sense because it will hopefully balance the 'government, do something' approach with the reality of paying for it. This, perhaps, fits it very well about how it may go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chMCU5VSuqw
  • Options
    One thing I think this would do is take the tribalism out of politics and political parties which was one of my aims
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

I did point out there would be other ways to earn the vote than purely tax. You arent excluding people merely saying you can have it but you have to give something back
    It does exclude full time mothers, my mum didn't work when my sister and I were kids and definitely didn't have time to volunteer because she was also looking after my grandmother who had cancer for long periods of time.

As I say, I understand where you're coming from that voting is something that should be earned by contributing to society either by tax or other means, it just starts to get dicey when you have to actually implement such a system because what is and isn't included in "other means".
  • Options
    Stopping unemployed and poor people voting by tying the franchise to income tax might encourage a Conservative Chancellor to raise the personal allowance!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Thanks Pagan2 - no 6 sounds a bit like Starship Troopers!
  • Options
    Bravo Pagan for a well-executed debut
  • Options
    I'm not exciting enough to think of radical reform suggestions. Changes to electoral systems and incremental institutional changes is more my speed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    Pagan2 said:

A radical rethink of how western democracies do government isn’t necessarily time wasted.

The big practical problem with your proposal is that there isn’t nearly enough ‘scrutiny’ work in Parliament to keep 600 plus MPs gainfully occupied, yet there is more than enough casework coming up from constituencies to justify that number of representatives.

This circle is squared currently by creating ranks of junior ministers and bag carrying roles to co-opt large numbers of MPs into supporting the executive. It isn’t clear from your proposal how the executive side, below the directly elected leads, is to be staffed.

If the directly elected executive positions are elected separately, it isn’t obvious how a coherent government with a programme emerges.

If the local representatives are elected from constituencies using the current crooked voting system, you would perpetuate the current failure to adequately represent large swathes of public opinion.
  • Options

"Join the Mobile Infantry and save the United Kingdom. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?"
  • Options
    Rishi has just sent me a tax demand for underpaid income tax in 2018-19, so that must be how he is planning to balance the books post-Covid. The annoying thing is he wants the money by the end of the month, yet in a few more weeks he will be writing me a cheque as I was made redundant so will be due a refund (assuming Amazon does not snap me up to replace Jeff Bezos).
  • Options
    CH4 news report on France...

https://youtu.be/4w7SKrHL8Bw
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, it's innovative and imaginitve compared to most proposals.

I'm not sure about the conclusion for 1) though. Why could you not still end up with some rabble rousing idiot with no thought out proposals? Who is winnowing the candidates down?

On 2), that would be quite the change - in my experience people hate performing the role of scrutineer.

Agreed most law is gibberish, but making everything guidelines seems extreme.

On 4) what about proposals between elections? - Things will happen that need addressing presumably

Tax rises?! Hahahaha

Earning the right to vote is an interesting one, though I'm in favour of every yahoo voting.

But really, I suppose its easy to comment, and harder to speculate, and everyone should come up with their own ideas here.

This will take time.

1) They have to put forward proposals for what they change to stand, the winnowing would be done preelection where everyone with an idea could put it forward maybe a year ahead. Public debate would be held and the public could select the three to go forward.

2) yes people hate being scrutineers and maybe I didnt explain it well you arent setting guidelines. The legislature would be settiing test cases and how the proposed law is meant to cope.
    An example is the firearms legislation currently it is a statutory offence to possess a gun with a 5 year sentence. That takes no account of someone dumping a shotgun in your garden....it is now in your possession.

4) Most things carry on as before, they only have a mandate to do what they proposed. In case of emergency they act as our current cabinet does
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Interesting piece Pagan, quite thought-provoking and quite a lot in there I disagree with but good on you for having a go.

On the the tax threshold for voting, have you considered that anyone who spends on anything beyond food and clothes pays taxes (VAT and other duties)?
    I didn't but that was more because I considered it more a discussion point in that to get a say you put something into the country as well and also in some ways it expands the franchise as many would get a vote that dont currently
  • Options

Technically wrong that they have not procured enough vaccine. They just haven't received enough of it soon enough.
  • Options

I read that a Macron's Vaccine Slowdown initially. 🤭
  • Options
    Yokes said:

No chance on the idea that you pay to play as a natural born citizen. Right there you are going against the liberal democratic foundations. The potential to disenfranchise is all too easy. Volunteering is all well and good but you think that would encourage the non tax paying to vote? Not a chance. They may well be the ones with the lowest participation rates to start with. Unless they take themselves out of normal society the right to vote is there even if they do not use it

The idea that people need to be clear on the tax makes sense because it will hopefully balance the 'government, do something' approach with the reality of paying for it. This, perhaps, fits it very well about how it may go.

I talked about the franchise on the principle that something not earned is not valued mostly. Something I think many would accept, I am not ultra set on conditions
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,947
    Scott_xP said:
    It's only $2.7bn to go with the $1.6bn one the other week.
  • Options

"Join the Mobile Infantry and save the United Kingdom. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?"
    I admit the idea of earning the right to vote was influenced possibly by the book as I read it as a teenager
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Very interesting, thank you. And well done. I thought, when you mentioned this earlier that you were still some way from ready to publish. It will take me a while to put the parts together but right now your vision seems quite attractive.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

https://youtu.be/zPYuV_jGk7M
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Very interesting, thank you. And well done. I thought, when you mentioned this earlier that you were still some way from ready to publish. It will take me a while to put the parts together but right now your vision seems quite attractive.

Good evening, everyone.

Thank you and I am happy for people to pick holes in it as well it is how we refine things and make them better
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited February 2021
    Removing the franchise from low/non-earners?

I’m amazed more posters aren’t outraged by that.

The Universal franchise is a right, not a privilege
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

"Come on you apes! do you want to live forever?"
  • Options
    As stocky predicted most so far have picked at number 6, my other thought for that is you get the vote as now but then can gain an extra vote for either paying over a certain threshold of ni and income tax or volunteering. Would mean a citizen could have up to 3 votes and a non citizen up to 2
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Removing the franchise from councillors who won't pay the council tax they have set.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,635
    Foxy said:

Just looking at the way they cluster together under fire. So 1805.
  • Options
    ping said:

My suggestion was about 2k combined tax and ni circa 18k income....or volunteer work and yes you can mix and match so 1k combined plus 100 hours a year....didnt think it that onerous....if I had said 10k or 2000 hours yes and its more the principle something not earned is not valued
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Removing the franchise from councillors who won't pay the council tax they have set.

They already cannot vote on setting council tax if in arrears, seems harsh to go further.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    How would the candidates be reduced to three in section 1?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    Like an oasis in a desert. An AV thread!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

As stocky predicted most so far have picked at number 6, my other thought for that is you get the vote as now but then can gain an extra vote for either paying over a certain threshold of ni and income tax or volunteering. Would mean a citizen could have up to 3 votes and a non citizen up to 2

Maybe an additional vote for being a university graduate, and so building up the corporate intellect? It's not so long (historically) since that happened.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Just looking at the way they cluster together under fire. So 1805.
    "Starfleet do the flying, we do the dying"

I love Verhoeven films. Every one of them gets better with repeat viewing, even Showgirls.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ping said:

My suggestion was about 2k combined tax and ni circa 18k income....or volunteer work and yes you can mix and match so 1k combined plus 100 hours a year....didnt think it that onerous....if I had said 10k or 2000 hours yes and its more the principle something not earned is not valued
    So someone on benefits due to say, permanent disability, is excluded from the vote. As are most pensioners.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

A year before the election I would have all that want to submit proposals be able to post them on the ministry website where they can be discussed by all and the 3(an arbitray number which could be different) would eventually be selected by public interest in them
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

I talked about the franchise on the principle that something not earned is not valued mostly. Something I think many would accept, I am not ultra set on conditions
    I get it and its got its attractions and indeed could be said to be populist, a term that gets a unfair branding. If someone, for example, is a lazy fleckless bollocks who takes without contribution then why should they have the rights? But therein lies the problem on that one, its all too easy for it to be utilised to create the idea of the acceptable citizen and by earning power being a possible starting point of elitism. You only have to look at the total headers post Brexit referendum concluding that some people shouldn't have the franchise because they were effectively not educated enough. The entire motivation was they didn't like the result.

Certain things do & should come with societal contribution and I think as a concept that needs more focus in politics & society. But the basic franchise is a bit too much of a pillar to remove.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Like an oasis in a desert. An AV thread!

Grins indeed the individual positions would probably make av the goto method for selection
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Spurs are poo
  • Options
    ping said:

I think it's just too silly an idea to be taken seriously. I would say that those down on their uppers are actually in greater touch with reality than the pampered rich, making them more qualified, not less, to shape the political direction of the country. You could label them the 'expert poor'.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Spherical, rather than round.

I thought lawyers were supposed to be sticklers for detail.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    How about votes based on IQ, one vote per IQ point? The intelligent vote!

Or age related, one vote for every year under 125 you are. Thus the young have more influence than the old, which seems only fair as they are generally paying most into the coffers and have most time on average to endure the consequences of decisions made.

(For the avoidance of doubt these are not serious suggestions.)
  • Options
    ping said:

Spurs are poo

Scheisse!

Surely Jose is next in the sack race? The stadium would be toxic if there were fans in.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

So someone on benefits due to say, permanent disability, is excluded from the vote. As are most pensioners.
    Pensioners and the disabled are obviously cases that need to be thought about. This don't forget is a thumbnail outline not a complete blueprint and no we would not want to disadvantage them. Pensioners for example as an off the cuff thought and not one I have thought about deeply so bear with me would get an automatic vote if they had earned it in say 4 of the last 7 elections once retiring
  • Options

ping said:

I think it's just too silly an idea to be taken seriously. I would say that those down on their uppers are actually in greater touch with reality than the pampered rich, making them more qualified, not less, to shape the political direction of the country. You could label them the 'expert poor'.
    The opposite of a plutocracy?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Spherical, rather than round.

I thought lawyers were supposed to be sticklers for detail.
    Er ... the figure of the earth is an oblate spheroid, not a sphere. Indeed, that was hot science news in the C18. 'Round' is an acceptable approximation.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Interesting ideas. Might lead to rather an uncoordinated govt. Departments are not so easy to disentangle.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

They already cannot vote on setting council tax if in arrears, seems harsh to go further.
    Yes, that always used to be an amusing part of the budget cycle, when those councillors whose financial affairs were somewhat slapdash got their reminder letters from the Finance Director.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MikeL said:

A year before the election I would have all that want to submit proposals be able to post them on the ministry website where they can be discussed by all and the 3(an arbitray number which could be different) would eventually be selected by public interest in them
    In theory, it sounds as though people could be elected without being themselves eligible to vote.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

I get it and its got its attractions and indeed could be said to be populist, a term that gets a unfair branding. If someone, for example, is a lazy fleckless bollocks who takes without contribution then why should they have the rights? But therein lies the problem on that one, its all too easy for it to be utilised to create the idea of the acceptable citizen and by earning power being a possible starting point of elitism. You only have to look at the total headers post Brexit referendum concluding that some people shouldn't have the franchise because they were effectively not educated enough. The entire motivation was they didn't like the result.

Certain things do & should come with societal contribution and I think as a concept that needs more focus in politics & society. But the basic franchise is a bit too much of a pillar to remove.
    I dont intend it to be about earning power. I see it more as people who contribute to the public well being get a say. People that don't contribute don't. How that is done is a subject for debate and I threw out some obvious ones to start the debate
  • Options
    Excellent piece, thought provoking and different, think 1 & 2 could become part of the solution if not the whole shebang, 3, 4 and 6 also have merit but probably need significant change to be practical. Would be against 5, govts can borrow cheaper than individuals and also can balance the economy during recessions.
  • Options

Or age related, one vote for every year under 125 you are. Thus the young have more influence than the old, which seems only fair as they are generally paying most into the coffers and have most time on average to endure the consequences of decisions made.

Well for one IQ neither contributes to common sense nor is it a fair measure as it is skewed towards white europeans
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ping said:

As a very high earner in the additional tax band I'd be one of the people to benefit from such a system but I find the idea quite disturbing. Money shouldn't be able to buy more of a say in who governs the country. The donation system is already a mess of influence buying, this directly links wealth to having more of a say.

One of the great things about this country is that I have exactly the same amount of votes (1) as someone who has a billion pounds in a bank or someone who is on the dole (1).

I can see merit in some of the other ideas and I think a more direct democracy like Switzerland can be beneficial, I don't see any merit in restrictions on the franchise for citizens.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    First, congratulations on @Pagan2 for his debut piece. It's always good to see new thinking on this forum and this should serve as an encouragement for more of the regular contributors to put up a thread.

Some thoughts on the ideas: - one or two of them are certainly interesting 4) - the notion of a wholly independent evaluation of each party's manifesto proposals is an excellent idea. The IFS has offered something similar in the past.

As for 5), I'm not convinced we should outlaw non-infrastructure borrowing. There have been times of late when it's been quite useful to borrow with rates historically low and obviously unforeseeable events such as global pandemics stretch financial resources.

I need to think more about 2) and 3) as they aren't without merit but I question their practicality.

As for 1) it cuts right across the "party" system and weakens the power of the Prime Minister (as well as his/her patronage) so I can see some pros and cons.

I'm wholly opposed to 6).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Well for one IQ neither contributes to common sense nor is it a fair measure as it is skewed towards white europeans
    True on both counts. I retract my foolish suggestion. :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

But I have not tried to exclude those down on their uppers I have explicitly said there are other ways to earn your vote. I merely suggested 2. The point I was bringing to the debate by something I knew would be contentious is that people who contribute in whatever way we decide get to earn the privilege to have a say
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I like option 2 but the limit is retirement age. Once you are drawing a pension your vote is now worth zero.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,706
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

As a very high earner in the additional tax band I'd be one of the people to benefit from such a system but I find the idea quite disturbing. Money shouldn't be able to buy more of a say in who governs the country. The donation system is already a mess of influence buying, this directly links wealth to having more of a say.

One of the great things about this country is that I have exactly the same amount of votes (1) as someone who has a billion pounds in a bank or someone who is on the dole (1).

I can see merit in some of the other ideas and I think a more direct democracy like Switzerland can be beneficial, I don't see any merit in restrictions on the franchise for citizens.
    You might have the same number of votes but the relationship between the wealthy and the governing parties of all flavours shows that is irrelevant, money buys policy already.
  • Options
    I just think government is too fluid to bother selecting people on the basis of specific individual proposals (manifestoes barely count). Ok, they'd be costed, so it's not like the Californian situation that rcs1000 has mentioned where people vote in a bunch of proposals and also not to raise taxes to pay for any of it, but the day to day stuff doesn't seem possible if people are essentially deciding on policies, not a representative who can respond flexibly. After all, they technically could do so, but having been selected for a set of concrete proposals, how good will they be at reacting to things which go outside their plans?

How to ensure they different people don't clash? The people will select contradictory people for different roles, things cross cut too much.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Maybe an additional vote for being a university graduate, and so building up the corporate intellect? It's not so long (historically) since that happened.
    At least an additional 2 for Oxbridge please! Well maybe not Oxford :smiley:
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I'd restrict the vote to white male house-owners, over 40. Who are able to bring women aged 20-25 to orgasms so intense it requires plastic sheeting beforehand

I may pitch this idea to TSE, when I have finished my new oolitic butt plug
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Your upper tax band wouldnt earn you more votes it would be more a strict...pay more than low amount in tax and ni you get a vote. I suggested about 2k which is an 18k salary. You dont get more votes for paying more
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I like option 2 but the limit is retirement age. Once you are drawing a pension your vote is now worth zero.
    It's one of the things that disturbs me about matters such as Brexit that the most vehement on one side have the least involvement in the consequences of their actions, as a matter of wealth or, especially, of age. Why shoiuld people within a few years of death (on actuarial averages) have the same sayayin Brexit and Scottish independence as those who are 17 or 18?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

I dont intend it to be about earning power. I see it more as people who contribute to the public well being get a say. People that don't contribute don't. How that is done is a subject for debate and I threw out some obvious ones to start the debate
    I think the idea is on its head.

The problem of democracy in this country is that too many feel disenfranchised, whether Purple Wall Brexiteer, or youthful Corbynite. Such a system adds more to the toxic mix, to the point that revolution rolls out the tumbrils.

Universal adult suffrage should not be up for debate, even if that lets capricious voters with the attention span of goldfish decide things.

I would also say that we need less dictatorship of the executive rather than more.
  • Options
    I think it may be telling that in fantasy, when people can come up with any type of governance they want to explore a setting if they want, they usually fall back on philsopher kings, tyrannical despots, and chaotic republics. It's hard to imagine brand new systems.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

You might have the same number of votes but the relationship between the wealthy and the governing parties of all flavours shows that is irrelevant, money buys policy already.
    One of the things about what I proposed is there are no politicians to buy. The executive got elected only to enact their proposals. They dont get to arbitrarily change other stuff. The legislature have a single term and don't get to bring in laws
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

The problem of democracy in this country is that too many feel disenfranchised, whether Purple Wall Brexiteer, or youthful Corbynite. Such a system adds more to the toxic mix, to the point that revolution rolls out the tumbrils.

Universal adult suffrage should not be up for debate, even if that lets capricious voters with the attention span of goldfish decide things.
    I remember my politics class at school - at the time of the previous, Brexin, Common Market debate, about 1974. One of the other masters had been talking in the staff room about his cleaning lady who didn;t want to be in the EEC because it was all about the "black market". Our master asked us whether we thought she should be allowed to have a vote ...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

If the directly elected executive positions are elected separately, it isn’t obvious how a coherent government with a programme emerges.

That's one of the major issues with @Pagan2's proposals. One can easily imagine that a collection of magistrates rather than a single presidency would lead to both irreconcilable conflict and inevitable cakeism. People would in all likelihood vote for socialist public services and libertarian economics. And how on Earth do you create discrete jurisdictions in policy either? It's a recipe for fragmented Government and turf wars. You can only resolve that by electing an adjudicator - i.e. a president - with the power to break up arguments and knock heads together, which only results in a collection of cabinet ministers that are at once impotent and immovable. It's entirely impractical.

These thought experiments do, however, help one to understand why the hierarchies of power in the nations of the world tend to conform to a narrow range of established patterns in most cases. Nearly all states have a head of government drawn from and answerable to the legislature, and a largely or entirely ceremonial head of state (e.g. the UK,) a full separation of powers with an executive president elected directly to govern, and a discrete legislature (e.g. the USA,) or some hybrid of those two systems (e.g. France.) These systems aim to avoid, insofar as possible, the problems which other theoretical models might lead to.

I have taken note downthread of the suggestion by @Pagan2 that one of the aims of their ideas is to loosen the grip of political parties on the decision making process. One can understand the motivation for this: parties are by definition comprised of narrow sects of the most politically motivated individuals, advance platforms and ideologies that are not wholeheartedly embraced by most electors, and mitigate against compromise. But when one considers the likely alternative - an assembly of independents that might take forever to rationally debate every issue without necessarily reaching a consensus - then one is forced to contemplate whether the party political system is to forms of democratic governance what democracy is to forms of government itself: the worst form, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Pensioners and the disabled are obviously cases that need to be thought about. This don't forget is a thumbnail outline not a complete blueprint and no we would not want to disadvantage them. Pensioners for example as an off the cuff thought and not one I have thought about deeply so bear with me would get an automatic vote if they had earned it in say 4 of the last 7 elections once retiring
    I do sense from the header and other postings that you have a very deep dislike of the idea of people receiving benefits.

It's a view you are fully entitled to hold of course but my view is very different.
  • Options
    stodge said:

First, congratulations on @Pagan2 for his debut piece. It's always good to see new thinking on this forum and this should serve as an encouragement for more of the regular contributors to put up a thread.

Some thoughts on the ideas: - one or two of them are certainly interesting 4) - the notion of a wholly independent evaluation of each party's manifesto proposals is an excellent idea. The IFS has offered something similar in the past.

As for 5), I'm not convinced we should outlaw non-infrastructure borrowing. There have been times of late when it's been quite useful to borrow with rates historically low and obviously unforeseeable events such as global pandemics stretch financial resources.

I need to think more about 2) and 3) as they aren't without merit but I question their practicality.

As for 1) it cuts right across the "party" system and weakens the power of the Prime Minister (as well as his/her patronage) so I can see some pros and cons.

I'm wholly opposed to 6).

On the point about 4 - the IFS used to offer good insight on the offering's of both parties. Now with Paul Johnstone it's a joke. His comments on Labour's bankrupt the nation plan as "ambitious" were completely ridiculous. The IFS used to be about sound money and good economics now it seems to think it's remit is to call for more spending all the time in any situation. The whole leadership needs to be upended.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I just think government is too fluid to bother selecting people on the basis of specific individual proposals (manifestoes barely count). Ok, they'd be costed, so it's not like the Californian situation that rcs1000 has mentioned where people vote in a bunch of proposals and also not to raise taxes to pay for any of it, but the day to day stuff doesn't seem possible if people are essentially deciding on policies, not a representative who can respond flexibly. After all, they technically could do so, but having been selected for a set of concrete proposals, how good will they be at reacting to things which go outside their plans?

How to ensure they different people don't clash? The people will select contradictory people for different roles, things cross cut too much.

Take health for example, the individual elected only gets to enact the proposals elected on. He doesn't get to decide to wholesale restructure the nhs which is what happens currently. The day to day stuff already enacted merely carries on if not affected by the proposals under the civil service
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,909
    What do we all reckon to the 27 dead in one swoop care home incident in France. Virus endgame mutation ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Penetocracy? Arguably, as the rich have so much influence through other means, they should be excluded from the democratic process to even things up a bit.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That's one of the major issues with @Pagan2's proposals. One can easily imagine that a collection of magistrates rather than a single presidency would lead to both irreconcilable conflict and inevitable cakeism. People would in all likelihood vote for socialist public services and libertarian economics. And how on Earth do you create discrete jurisdictions in policy either? It's a recipe for fragmented Government and turf wars. You can only resolve that by electing an adjudicator - i.e. a president - with the power to break up arguments and knock heads together, which only results in a collection of cabinet ministers that are at once impotent and immovable. It's entirely impractical.

These thought experiments do, however, help one to understand why the hierarchies of power in the nations of the world tend to conform to a narrow range of established patterns in most cases. Nearly all states have a head of government drawn from and answerable to the legislature, and a largely or entirely ceremonial head of state (e.g. the UK,) a full separation of powers with an executive president elected directly to govern, and a discrete legislature (e.g. the USA,) or some hybrid of those two systems (e.g. France.) These systems aim to avoid, insofar as possible, the problems which other theoretical models might lead to.

I have taken note downthread of the suggestion by @Pagan2 that one of the aims of their ideas is to loosen the grip of political parties on the decision making process. One can understand the motivation for this: parties are by definition comprised of narrow sects of the most politically motivated individuals, advance platforms and ideologies that are not wholeheartedly embraced by most electors, and mitigate against compromise. But when one considers the likely alternative - an assembly of independents that might take forever to rationally debate every issue without necessarily reaching a consensus - then one is forced to contemplate whether the party political system is to forms of democratic governance what democracy is to forms of government itself: the worst form, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time.
    I think sortition could play a small part in parliament, perhaps 10% of independents in the Commons, or 20% in the Lords. That would also remove some of the frustrations of FPTP and weaken the power of the whips and parties whilst still leaving them in charge.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

Pagan2 said:

Yokes said:

I would also say that we need less dictatorship of the executive rather than more.
    Where does what I suggest imply dictatorship. You get elected to education on the proposal that we are going to start teaching Sumerian in all schools. That is the proposal you get to implement. You don't get to reorganise the entire department or impose a new maths curricula
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

What do we all reckon to the 27 dead in one swoop care home incident in France. Virus endgame mutation ?

Or a Macron love triangle ending in tragedy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

It's one of the things that disturbs me about matters such as Brexit that the most vehement on one side have the least involvement in the consequences of their actions, as a matter of wealth or, especially, of age. Why shoiuld people within a few years of death (on actuarial averages) have the same sayayin Brexit and Scottish independence as those who are 17 or 18?
    It's a very slippery slope. Parliaments can institute changes which will have ripple effects for decades to come, should we deny the vote to people who are predicted to live less than a full parliamentary term?

It's just too complicated to decide which issues have which effect the longest and so deny some people people the vote as it won't affect them. It's disproportionate.

Many older and wealthy people did not support Brexit or do support Sindy - better to try to persuade them of the correct course, whatever that is, than just decide they'll be dead soon so why even ask them.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Firstly influence buying is completely different to receiving more votes by virtue of income, secondly a person would need to choose to buy influence with large donations to parties, this would be automatic and reward higher earners and very high earners with much more of a say over public life than lower income earners.

It would completely break the current social contract this country maintains between the wealthy and less wealthy. It's already at breaking point with tax evasion and avoidance by billionaires which the government turns a blind eye to.
  • Options
    Who would be elected to lead this government? They couldn't put forward much detail if they had to stitch together whatever departmental policies won other elections. Yet when two or more departments' priorities clash, someone needs to have a casting vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Unless we know the denominator of residents and time period, it is a meaningless number. There were similar stories from Spanish, American and British care homes in this epidemic.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Which is why I said before election each proposal had to be costed and that people should be able to see how it would effect tax. People cannot select give everyone 20k up front because that will be costed and they will have to pay the tax. Policy and cost are linked. Select the policy, pay the tax for it
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,947
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Firstly influence buying is completely different to receiving more votes by virtue of income, secondly a person would need to choose to buy influence with large donations to parties, this would be automatic and reward higher earners and very high earners with much more of a say over public life than lower income earners.

It would completely break the current social contract this country maintains between the wealthy and less wealthy. It's already at breaking point with tax evasion and avoidance by billionaires which the government turns a blind eye to.
    Come on, pagan is suggesting earning £18k or volunteering or retired or disabilities or other things. It is hardly about restricting voting to the wealthy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We need a lot more information about the circumstances.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I was hoping that video clip posted earlier was about that, I haven't seen anything further and it's very worrying.
This discussion has been closed.