Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My 250/1 longshot for WH2024 showing a flair for publicity that could take him a long way – politica

124»

Comments

• Andy_JS said:

The Brexit result would have been Remain 51% Leave 49% if the Remain campaign hadn't been a complete and utter shambles. That would arguably have been the best result because it would have shocked the EU out of their complacency without the UK actually leaving.

Nothing seemed to shock the EU out of their complacency. That was the problem. If the UK had voted 50.0001% remain, it would still have been full steam ahead.

I mean, Ireland voted against Lisbon - the only country actually allowed a vote on it - and yet they sailed on unperturbed.
    You are missing the fact, as people like you usually do, that Ireland voted hugely in favour of Treaty of Lisbon in 2009. By more than two to one.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I can guarantee the end of the Union, if this is the pitch they are making to Scotland.
    https://twitter.com/JohnSpringford/status/1353103962514337793

Yeah, I don't think wokeness is really the biggest contributory factor here. If only it were that easy!
    "Woke" appears to be assuming the role of a magical incantation in Whitehall.
    No one quite knows what it means, or how it works, but there is deep faith in its powers to make all issues go away.
    Serious question, what does "woke" mean to those that bandy the term around, including on here?

The dictionary definition is:

alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

Surely no-one can object to injustice and racism being called out, even if privately they may be a bit that way themselves. So what are they really objecting to and why should the rest of us sign up?
    The socially regressive right is quite innovative and nimble in its adoption of new labels, because during the growth phase of their use, people are confused about what the words mean. Regressives use stories, both fictional and factual, of absurd or unjust situations and attach the new label to that situation in order to discredit all progressive movements. Eventually, the term becomes widely understood and people start to separate out the good from the bad and the regressives have to move onto a new label.
    We've seen previous iterations, with "pc" being the most famous, and "cultural marxism" being one that never really got far from its far-right origins.
    It's a label that's now used primarily with hostile meaning, but it's usually used too carelessly to actually divine any meaning from it. Every so often an enthusiast will try to deploy a coherent theory of the word, but these will usually be a little too tortured to be useful. It's best to think of it as meaning "all the progressive things I don't accept" in the same way as "pc gone mad" was used. The more important part to the user is the feeling expressed rather than any concrete definition.
    Thanks for the explanation. Seems plausible.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I can guarantee the end of the Union, if this is the pitch they are making to Scotland.

Yeah, I don't think wokeness is really the biggest contributory factor here. If only it were that easy!
    I am not sure Scotland throwing off of the yoke of (the British) Empire, is any more woke than the notion that Brexit threw off the yoke of (the EU) Empire.
    It's curious. Many, perhaps even all, Leavers, while conceding that there might have been a few rum episodes, tend to proclaim that the British Empire, which imposed itself upon a load of unwilling countries, was generally a thing of benevolence. Yet the EU, which we were free to leave any time, embodied the most hideous annihilation of sovereignty. What gives?
    "Many, perhaps even all, Leavers, while conceding that there might have been a few rum episodes, tend to proclaim that the British Empire, which imposed itself upon a load of unwilling countries, was generally a thing of benevolence."

Utter bollocks, trotted out time after time by Remainers.

"even all"? Wrong, cuz here's a Leaver that doesn't think that. I am delighted we had a very swift to end of Empire, granting independence rapidly and without any effort at kick-back to those that wanted it. And a fuck of lot more alacrity and grace than the EU showed in letting us leave their empire....
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    It's excellent news that almost 1% of adults were vaccinated in one day. Let's hope supplies are able to keep up.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

No one quite knows what it means, or how it works, but there is deep faith in its powers to make all issues go away.
    Serious question, what does "woke" mean to those that bandy the term around, including on here?

Surely no-one can object to injustice and racism being called out, even if privately they may be a bit that way themselves. So what are they really objecting to and why should the rest of us sign up?
    The socially regressive right is quite innovative and nimble in its adoption of new labels, because during the growth phase of their use, people are confused about what the words mean. Regressives use stories, both fictional and factual, of absurd or unjust situations and attach the new label to that situation in order to discredit all progressive movements. Eventually, the term becomes widely understood and people start to separate out the good from the bad and the regressives have to move onto a new label.
    We've seen previous iterations, with "pc" being the most famous, and "cultural marxism" being one that never really got far from its far-right origins.
    It's a label that's now used primarily with hostile meaning, but it's usually used too carelessly to actually divine any meaning from it. Every so often an enthusiast will try to deploy a coherent theory of the word, but these will usually be a little too tortured to be useful. It's best to think of it as meaning "all the progressive things I don't accept" in the same way as "pc gone mad" was used. The more important part to the user is the feeling expressed rather than any concrete definition.
    Uh huh. Whereas of course lefties would never come up with tendentious terms like 'progressive' to describe everything they do, and 'regressive' to disparage everything they don't like...
  • kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I am not sure Scotland throwing off of the yoke of (the British) Empire, is any more woke than the notion that Brexit threw off the yoke of (the EU) Empire.
    It's curious. Many, perhaps even all, Leavers, while conceding that there might have been a few rum episodes, tend to proclaim that the British Empire, which imposed itself upon a load of unwilling countries, was generally a thing of benevolence. Yet the EU, which we were free to leave any time, embodied the most hideous annihilation of sovereignty. What gives?
    "Many, perhaps even all, Leavers, while conceding that there might have been a few rum episodes, tend to proclaim that the British Empire, which imposed itself upon a load of unwilling countries, was generally a thing of benevolence."

"even all"? Wrong, cuz here's a Leaver that doesn't think that. I am delighted we had a very swift to end of Empire, granting independence rapidly and without any effort at kick-back to those that wanted it. And a fuck of lot more alacrity and grace than the EU showed in letting us leave their empire....
    You disagree with my claim that Leavers think the British Empire was benevolent then go on to say how benevolent you think the British Empire was. Nice one!

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Uh huh. Whereas of course lefties would never come up with tendentious terms like 'progressive' to describe everything they do, and 'regressive' to disparage everything they don't like...
    So "woke" is a synonym for "progressive" ? Like beauty which term you use is in the eye of the beholder?
  • kle4 said:

FF43 said:

If you think alacrity and grace are the best adjectives for British decolonisation then I would suggest you're missing important parts of the story.
  • Mary_BattyMary_Batty Posts: 630
    edited January 2021

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Well, yes, people of all political persuasions label things. I'm not really sure it's just "lefties" who would refer to social reationaries as regressives. Certainly, I use the term and I'm not on the left.

We could have a wide-ranging discussion about different contested terms if you think it'll be interesting (it won't), but I focused on that one term, "woke", because that was the question. You don't have to assume I was saying that it is only such term in existence.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited January 2021

Floater said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

BoJo will obviously deny a referendum

It's impressive that you started your nonsensical rant about politicians respecting the will of the people with that statement...

After illegally proroguing parliament, and "denying" a vote, you still claim BoZo as your champion for democracy.

Deluded doesn't begin to cover it...
    The Scots had a vote. In 2014. Democracy was honoured. Etc
    There is something deeply weird about Remainers seemingly egging on the Nats to have another vote, you would think they'd be against it logically.
    There is something deeply weird about Leavers wanting to deny Scots the right to vote on their own future.
    Specially the ones that get excited about sovereignty.
    This leaver is happy for Scotland to go their own way if they so choose.

I will be interested to hear why economic dislocation will not be an issue in this particular case and why Scotland should not foot their share of the bills.

Why there will be no downsides in this case

Why you think you will get to use Sterling and be supported by our central bank - assuming the EU even let you join without adopting the euro

Oh, and why being subsumed into the EU as a very small part of same equals freedom.......
    I’m happy you’re happy, just not sure why you’ve regurgitated the same weary stuff that’s been done a thousand times before. It’s just not very interesting that you’re interested.
    I understand that these sorts of questions are very tiresome, inconvenient and boring, but it would also be a good idea to have plausible answers to them if the pro-independence side want to make sure that they can bag the win at the second time of asking.

From down here, many of us appreciate that most Scots don't feel in the slightest bit British and care not one iota about the rest of the country. The twee little family of nations that some Tories persist in going on about still exists on paper but is dead in spirit and probably has been for decades. The relationship is rooted in bribery and, save perhaps for a mini-festival of Union Jack waving during the Olympic Games, is stone cold and entirely transactional in nature. It's one of the best reasons for getting rid of the Union.

The death through old age of much of the dwindling cohort of elderly sentimental Unionists should help to kill it off, but your government really does need to get its ducks in a row on some key issues, in particular the currency and the budget deficit. If the cost to middle class types in Scotland of being given a matching set of little EU flags and Saltires to wave at the independence fireworks is a massive tax bill, and a pension plan redenominated into devalued groats, then they will vote in their droves to keep on taking handouts from HM Treasury. Again.

This shit matters. If the SNP stuffs up the second attempt at independence like it did the first then we may be well and truly stuck with each other, and this limbo state of sharing a zombie confederation will continue for a very long time. We won't be able to move on to a more constructive state of affairs. The stale arguments about the balance of power and money will continue. That serves no-one's best interests.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

So "woke" is a synonym for "progressive" ? Like beauty which term you use is in the eye of the beholder?
    They are fairly close synonyms - both terms were popularized by those on the left wishing to praise themselves for their terribly bold uprisings against the status quo, no matter how illogical, unjustified, or historically illiterate their conceptions of progress or awakening happen to be.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

People have answered this a thousand times, and made distinction between people who don't care about injustice or racism at all, those who do but don't agree on ways to address that, those who say they do but don't do much other than police language and symbols without actually addressing the underlying issues, etc etc

I don't believe people really think it is a debate about people who care about racism and those who do not, nobody can think that it is a binary issue like that. Some people are alert to these issues and are therefore woke by definition but don't agree with those labelled (by themselves or others) as woke when it comes to actions, and some will say they are woke by are only really focusing on trivial things.

It's certainly a lot more complex than 'oh, people object to calling out racism?'.

So in short, I think what most people are objecting to the treating of such matters as binary good or evil, when it is a lot more nuanced than that. (And yes some people will simply be racist and injust, but that is not the whole of it, and should not be treated as the whole of it anymore than treating the most irritating woke steretype as indicative of the whole).
    Thanks for answering my question (and in detail!) I am afraid I am still unclear what "woke" as a derogatory term really means. I think you are saying, people can call out racism and injustice, but they may be insincere or tokenistic when they do so - in the view of those offended by their wokeness. But it seems to me pejorative "woke" is more than just misguided talk about racism and there seems to be an element of disrespecting the values of people you don't agree with. But it all seems vague to me.
    It is meant to be vague. Which is why no one in government can/will define it.
    It means "people who don't think like me."
    The loony Left example shows it has a demographic shelf life.
  • felix said:

tlg86 said:

His Tweet above sends out powerful messages that should resonate in a country that has been created by immigration.

Hmmm

Yes - I imagine the indigenous folk there might find that a bit irritating.
    Even they - or rather their ancestors - were immigrants, from Siberia, most likely via the Bering Sea/Land Bridge.

Of course, Will Rogers was fond of pointing out, that while his people were NOT on the Mayflower, they met the boat.
  • FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

They are fairly close synonyms - both terms were popularized by those on the left wishing to praise themselves for their terribly bold uprisings against the status quo, no matter how illogical, unjustified, or historically illiterate their conceptions of progress or awakening happen to be.
    I would put David Cameron firmly in the progressive camp, and I don't think many people would describe him as "left".
    I mean, he was the PM who introduced equal marriage in England. That's progressive.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Interesting Mail front page:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

It is more that "progressive" does have real meaning for me. Given that the Johnson regime keeps going on about how progressive they are ( I don't think so), it's not a copyright term of the Left, I would say. If by "woke" people really mean "I disparage progressive people", that does make some sense to me.
    edited January 2021

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I would put David Cameron firmly in the progressive camp, and I don't think many people would describe him as "left".
    I mean, he was the PM who introduced equal marriage in England. That's progressive.
    That WAS progressive. Too much so for New Labour. It isn't considered so now. Time moves on. As does demography.
    Any votes in repealing it? No. They all already vote for you.
  • felix said:

tlg86 said:

His Tweet above sends out powerful messages that should resonate in a country that has been created by immigration.

Hmmm

Even they - or rather their ancestors - were immigrants, from Siberia, most likely via the Bering Sea/Land Bridge.

Of course, Will Rogers was fond of pointing out, that while his people were NOT on the Mayflower, they met the boat.
    If you go back far enough, I think you'll find ALL human populations outside of Africa are descended from a small population of Homo sapiens from the Horn of Africa roughly 200,000 years ago.

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Hmmm

If you go back far enough, I think you'll find ALL human populations outside of Africa are descended from a small population of Homo sapiens from the Horn of Africa roughly 200,000 years ago.
    Yeah. We couldn't be more inbred if we were in a sandwich.
  • Leon said:

I can offer an initial, provisional report on the Crown season four episode Fagan.

Remember: this is the 1960s proto-PIRA, or, if you prefer, Alan Sked-led UKIP, or even Scott P's 2021 Rejoin Party (which exists solely in his own shrivelled and tiny testicles), of televisual critique, but:

The Crown has absolutely nailed what it was like to be Michael Fagan in London in about 1982. Superb

So can you tell us a bit about your experiences with Mr. Fagan?

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

You can analyse that particular policy in more than one way. I'd just as soon take it as a right-libertarian move, in that the state has no business forbidding adults from entering into whatever legal partnerships with one another they choose.
  • felix said:

tlg86 said:

Hmmm

Perhaps that may by why "having the horn" is so stereotypically human?
  • dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

That WAS progressive. Too much so for New Labour. It isn't considered so now. Time moves on.
    Any votes in repealing it? No. They all already vote for you.
    Well, yes, that's true enough. I'm judging him by the standards of the day. All this is, of course, context-dependent.
    My only point for bringing Cameron up is to put a wedge between the false coupling of "left" and "progressive". Of course, left and right are also context-dependent terms.
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

The exiled Chagos Islanders, a number of elderly Kenyan gentlemen who are minus their balls, and of course absolutely everyone from the Indian Congress movement backwards who ever resisted British colonisation, might have something to say about these assertions.

But yes, the general point concerning lazy, blanket generalisations about Leavers and Remainers stands. And it's all so very, very tired. The near-complete smothering by coronavirus of Europe-related mudslinging on media outlets for most of 2020 was one of the few positives of a truly dismal year.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

You can analyse that particular policy in more than one way. I'd just as soon take it as a right-libertarian move, in that the state has no business forbidding adults from entering into whatever legal partnerships with one another they choose.
    What about serfdom?
  • FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Yes, that's also a fair description. Equal marriage fits very comfortably in both. These things overlap.
  • Floater said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It's impressive that you started your nonsensical rant about politicians respecting the will of the people with that statement...

After illegally proroguing parliament, and "denying" a vote, you still claim BoZo as your champion for democracy.

There is something deeply weird about Remainers seemingly egging on the Nats to have another vote, you would think they'd be against it logically.
    There is something deeply weird about Leavers wanting to deny Scots the right to vote on their own future.

I will be interested to hear why economic dislocation will not be an issue in this particular case and why Scotland should not foot their share of the bills.

Why you think you will get to use Sterling and be supported by our central bank - assuming the EU even let you join without adopting the euro

Oh, and why being subsumed into the EU as a very small part of same equals freedom.......
    I’m happy you’re happy, just not sure why you’ve regurgitated the same weary stuff that’s been done a thousand times before. It’s just not very interesting that you’re interested.
    I understand that these sorts of questions are very tiresome, inconvenient and boring, but it would also be a good idea to have plausible answers to them if the pro-independence side want to make sure that they can bag the win at the second time of asking.

From down here, many of us appreciate that most Scots don't feel in the slightest bit British and care not one iota about the rest of the country. The twee little family of nations that some Tories persist in going on about still exists on paper but is dead in spirit and probably has been for decades. The relationship is rooted in bribery and, save perhaps for a mini-festival of Union Jack waving during the Olympic Games, is stone cold and entirely transactional in nature. It's one of the best reasons for getting rid of the Union.

The death through old age of much of the dwindling cohort of elderly sentimental Unionists should help to kill it off, but your government really does need to get its ducks in a row on some key issues, in particular the currency and the budget deficit. If the cost to middle class types in Scotland of being given a matching set of little EU flags and Saltires to wave at the independence fireworks is a massive tax bill, and a pension plan redenominated into devalued groats, then they will vote in their droves to keep on taking handouts from HM Treasury. Again.

This shit matters. If the SNP stuffs up the second attempt at independence like it did the first then we may be well and truly stuck with each other, and this limbo state of sharing a zombie confederation will continue for a very long time. We won't be able to move on to a more constructive state of affairs. The stale arguments about the balance of power and money will continue. That serves no-one's best interests.
    I realised after the first time round that trying to persuade people who don't have a vote, particularly ones who adopt a snippy, passive aggressive tone when they ask their 'questions', is an utter waste of time. Bickering on the internet with such people otoh can be put in with the largely non essential stuff you can do to pass the time until you die, like CoD, pulling out nostril hairs and going on PB.
    edited January 2021

Floater said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

I realised after the first time round that trying to persuade people who don't have a vote, particularly ones who adopt a snippy, passive aggressive tone when they ask their 'questions', is an utter waste of time. Bickering on the internet with such people otoh can be put in with the largely non essential stuff you can do to pass the time until you die, like CoD, pulling out nostril hairs and going on PB.
    CoD?

EDIT: never mind, just realised how bloody late it is. Been passing a bit too much time doing non essential stuff, obviously. Goodnight.

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

What about serfdom?
    Sure, I'm always on the lookout for good people, and you are an excellent punster...

Anyway, I knew you were going to say that. In practice, you'd have to put some statutory limits on what contracts can be agreed, which is why I'm not a pure libertarian.

Come to think of it though, some progressives have been telling us for a long time that marriage is itself a form of serfdom, so perhaps extending marriage equality was ultimately a regressive thing to do... Cameron, you sly old fox.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    I liked what I saw of Ossoff, but he strikes me as a more liberal version of Buttigieg (who Mike also likes). I thinhk we both tend to pick more cerebral favourites than the US electorate. Obama and Clinton were both intellectuals, but Clinton disguises it well with his folksy manner and people focus on Obama being the first black president.

Currently reading Obama's book - nothing amazing so far, but thoughtful and pleasantly modest and given to self-doubt at times.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021

I liked what I saw of Ossoff, but he strikes me as a more liberal version of Buttigieg (who Mike also likes). I thinhk we both tend to pick more cerebral favourites than the US electorate. Obama and Clinton were both intellectuals, but Clinton disguises it well with his folksy manner and people focus on Obama being the first black president.

Currently reading Obama's book - nothing amazing so far, but thoughtful and pleasantly modest and given to self-doubt at times.

"more liberal version of Buttigieg" - Is that possible?

"Obama's book - nothing amazing so far, but thoughtful and pleasantly modest" - Kinda of like his presidency.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No answers then - thought not
  • Floater said:

Floater said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No answers then - thought not
    Not for uninteresting people.
    edited January 2021
    This is disgraceful reporting on so many levels...

Care home residents dying after first jab as Boris Johnson gambles on vaccine delay

Those in care homes – where residents who have had the first dose are dying before they get the second – are once again being thrown to the wolves.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/care-home-residents-dying-after-23373801

They have no idea if they died because of COVID, no idea of how many weeks since they had the first jab and none of these vaccines are 100%. Very old frail people in care homes unfortunately die on a regular basis regardless of COVID and very few people are more than 3 weeks out from their first jab. Before Christmas hardly any care homes residents were getting vaccinated.

Furthermore most care homes residents aren't getting the Pfizer jab, so the argument about changing the dosing strategy is not relevant. AZN, the evidence is much stronger to leave the second dose and the BMI are calling for the government to change for that vaccine.
    edited January 2021
    Four vaccination centres have been shut as Wales braces for more snowy weather.

Appointments at the Bridgend, Rhondda, Abercynon and Merthyr Tydfil centres for Sunday will be rescheduled for safety reasons, the Cwm Taf Morgannwg health board said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55764501
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Leon said:

From Brexit on, we British get to directly elect, or deselect, those who govern us. This is not the case in the EU, and there are no signs of it reforming.

Under FPTP? Dream on.

We will get our permanent ruling class, ever failing upwards. And their cheerleaders in the media. You might know some.
    edited January 2021
    The EU may approve the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine at the end of the month. Because we're not in any sort of hurry to get people vaccinated in Europe and around the world. 😔

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55780431
    edited January 2021
    Andy_JS said:

The EU may approve the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine at the end of the month. Because we're not in any sort of hurry to get people vaccinated in Europe and around the world. 😔

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55780431

The Dutch are carrying on like there is absolutely no rush at all...10k jabs a day. They haven't even done 1% of their population yet.
  • Historical Scenarios - Democratic Presidential First Terms

In evaluating the prospects of Joe Biden in potentially running for re-election in 2024, it is worth considering the experience of fellow Democrats over the last century who have preceded him as first-term POTUS elected in place of OR in succession to a Republican incumbent:

> Woodrow Wilson, one hotly-contested Democratic nomination; elected 1912 versus one-term Republican incumbent William H. Taft (who came in 3rd behind Republican former president and defector Theodore Roosevelt but ahead of Socialist Eugene V. Debs); re-nominated without difficulty in 1916, re-elected narrowly versus Charles E. Hughes.

> Franklin D. Roosevelt, won hotly-contested Dem nomination; elected 1932 versus one-term incumbent Republican Herbert Hoover, renominated without difficulty in 1936, re-elected by landslide versus Alf Landon.

> John F. Kennedy, won hotly-contested Dem nomination; elected 1960 versus incumbent VP Richard M. Nixon; assassinated 1963, likely he'd have been re-nominated without difficulty, same as his VP and successor Lyndon B. Johnson was; LBJ was elected in 1964 by a landslide over Barry Goldwater, which suggests JFK likely would also have defeated AuH2O.

> Jimmy Carter, won hotly-contested Dem nomination; elected 1976 against non-elected, 3/4-term Republican incumbent Gerald R. Ford; re-nominated after hotly-contested primary campaign (versus Ted Kennedy); defeated for re-election by Ronald Reagan (with independent Republican John Anderson coming in distant 3rd).

> Bill Clinton, won hotly-contested Dem nomination; elected 1992 versus one-term Republican incumbent George H. W. Bush (who was also challenged by conservative independent Ross Perot who came in respectable 3rd); re-nominated without difficulty; re-elected in 1996 versus Bob Dole.

Of the five Presidents listed above:

> Four out of 5 defeated incumbent Republican presidents, while the 5th (JFK) beat incumbent 2-term GOP VP.

> Four out of 5 were re-nominated without difficulty AND re-elected to a 2nd term (the odd man out being Carter)

> Two out of 4 who were elected were aided by independent candidates that took more votes from Republican incumbent than them.

> Four out of four who served out their full 1st term ran and were re-nominated for a 2nd.

Looking forward, perhaps the question re: Joe Biden is this: which of the examples above will he most closely resemble, and why?

edited January 2021
    The 32 sites will prioritise health and social care staff on Monday, and other priority patients from Tuesday.

They will bring the number of mass vaccination sites across England to 49 as well as 70 pharmacies, more than 1,000 GP surgeries and 250 hospitals offering the jab.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55784199
    Root has 88 out of 130 so far.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    There's a new thread, folks.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Leon said:

For the sake of all four UK nations, Her Majesty's Govt in Westminster, where Scots are wholly and democratically represented, must say No to another vote.

As a Scot, a Conservative and Unionist, respectfully, Fuck Off.

If people want a vote they should have a vote.
This discussion has been closed.