Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Supreme Court rejects the move by Texas to overturn Biden’s victory – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited December 2020 in General
imageThe Supreme Court rejects the move by Texas to overturn Biden’s victory – politicalbetting.com

Overnight (UK time) the Supreme Court in Washington rejected the bid by the State of Texas to overturn President-elect Biden’s election win in what must be seen as a devastating blow to the long-shot legal efforts by Trump and his supporters to stave off his electoral defeat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited December 2020
    The damage caused by Trump and mini-Trump is incalculable.

The removal of both from office is only the start of ironing out the mess they have created.
  • Options
    It's not over until Betfair says it's over
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.04
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.04
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.03
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.04
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.01

AZ Dem 1.03
    GA Dem 1.04
    MI Dem 1.03
    NV Dem 1.03
    PA Dem 1.04
    WI Dem 1.03

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.1
    Trump exit date 2021 1.08
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Father Christmas will come down the White House chimney in the early hours of 25th December and deliver Trump a coupon. This should have been a coup on time but Giuliani and the Texas lawyers wrote the letter to Santa for the President and now Trump has a $50 coupon to spend in Walmart.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Podtwas
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    ‘This comes ahead of the meeting of the Electoral College on Monday where Biden’s victory will be confirmed and hopefully be a trigger for Betfair to settle its £1.6bn market on the election.’

The triumph of hope over experience!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020

The damage caused by Trump and mini-Trump is incalculable.

The removal of both from office is only the start of ironing out the mess they have created.

Unforrtunately it may be too late, on this side of the atlantic.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:
    Although that’s a bit of a spurious stat. After all, by that logic every defeated candidate since 1796 has got more votes than George Washington.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:
    Although that’s a bit of a spurious stat. After all, by that logic every defeated candidate since 1800 has got more votes than George Washington.
    OK.

In 1992, Bush and Clinton (between them) garnered the votes of 32.7% of the US population.

In 2020, Biden and Trump managed almost 50%.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:
    Although that’s a bit of a spurious stat. After all, by that logic every defeated candidate since 1800 has got more votes than George Washington.
    OK.

In 1992, Bush and Clinton (between them) garnered the votes of 32.7% of the US population.

OK, you got me there :smile:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    JACK_W said:

Father Christmas will come down the White House chimney in the early hours of 25th December and deliver Trump a coupon. This should have been a coup on time but Giuliani and the Texas lawyers wrote the letter to Santa for the President and now Trump has a $50 coupon to spend in Walmart.

I'd always wondered what a coup on election was......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:
    OK.

You need to respond with "yeah, but in 1992 there was a viable third party candidate, so the numbers aren't comparable."
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:
    OK.

Good morning, fellow larks. (Or night-owls from across the pond!)

This seems a sad commentary on the turnout in American Presidential elections. Or would be if Perot hadn't picked up around half the number of votes Buch did.
    A minor thought on this election; there was no third (or fourth) party candidate who took anything like a significant share of the vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:
    OK.

You need to respond with "yeah, but in 1992 there was a viable third party candidate, so the numbers aren't comparable."
    But in 2020 the third party Democratic Republican candidate actually came second, so that doesn’t work.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I was assured by cool rational bettors who do not allow their emotions to cloud their betting decisions that this was serious!
  • Options
    I hope TSE doesn’t have Amazon Prime.

They’ve just offered me a collection of Christmas movies including Die Hard 2.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Sounds like the 126 sedition seeking congress critters are on final warning by Pelosi.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    Pretty noteworthy that seven judges booted it immediately and even Alito and Thomas felt they had to say “I’d have let it be filed on procedural grounds THEN booted it immediately”.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    The Electoral College session on Monday could be popcorn-worthy. Do the candidates normally turn up to it?
    Of course, presumably this year it will be by Zoom or similar.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

The Electoral College session on Monday could be popcorn-worthy. Do the candidates normally turn up to it?

Nope, each slate of electors votes in person (normally at the state capitol). The electors are brought in and they vote with some ceremony. This year they’re meeting up in secret, being driven to the location by state troopers and voting in an abbreviated manner because of Covid according to politico.
  • Options

Well, no, because it takes place in 51 different locations. Although this year they could in practice meet remotely as a body I’m assuming they’ll still ‘meet’ on a state by state basis.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,896

This thread so far poses more questions than it answers.

Does Boris really believe in Brexit?

The rest of the Parris article provides the answer.

BoZo tapped into English exceptionalism to win. The Little Englanders voted for him, and he is intent on keeping them onside. Pike's comments about the vaccine illustrate this sentiment is alive and well among the Brexiteers in cabinet.

It was English exceptionalism that made Johnson’s career as a Brussels-bashing newspaper columnist. He saw early what so many on my side of the argument have been slow to understand. Tens of millions of people in Britain really believe that we British are much, much better than the rest and that, since the Second World War, history has been selling us short. They have persuaded themselves that it is the European Union that has shackled us and that, unbound, we shall leap.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    The price is directly equivalent to percentage chance. So the nutters on there were betting Trump had a 12% chance of winning.

Put's the Betfair prices in a new light.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

BoZo tapped into English exceptionalism to win. The Little Englanders voted for him, and he is intent on keeping them onside. Pike's comments about the vaccine illustrate this sentiment is alive and well among the Brexiteers in cabinet.

It was English exceptionalism that made Johnson’s career as a Brussels-bashing newspaper columnist. He saw early what so many on my side of the argument have been slow to understand. Tens of millions of people in Britain really believe that we British are much, much better than the rest and that, since the Second World War, history has been selling us short. They have persuaded themselves that it is the European Union that has shackled us and that, unbound, we shall leap.
    Quel surprise - Matthew Parris continues to peddle the same arguments which lost the referendum 4 years ago - based on blaming the voters for not despising their own country like all right thinking middle class chatterers.
    Does it really have to be pointed out that saying that the UK, like France and Germany, is as an economically-developed democracy, and hence a desirable place to live, is not despising one’s own country?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Quel surprise - Matthew Parris continues to peddle the same arguments which lost the referendum 4 years ago - based on blaming the voters for not despising their own country like all right thinking middle class chatterers.
    Parris is right though isn`t he. I don`t think that "middle class chatterers" despise their own country - rather, they see equivalence with others.

That translates, for some, as "not patriotic" I agree.
  • Options
    On topic: ha ha ha. What a fucking surprise. Even Kavanaugh stayed sober long enough to recognise this as the crock of shit it is. Trump loses again, what a beautiful sight.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

They don’t believe in it. The tragedy and the ignominy of this cabinet is they don’t even believe in it themselves. They don’t believe in the painless Brexit or the sunlit future they’ve promised to deliver. You can hear it in their voices as they tour the studios and TV sofas ducking the words “no deal” and babbling about Australia. You can see it in their eyes as they try to reconcile their pledge to strain every sinew to get a deal, with their assurance that it will be fine if they don’t get one. You can sense it in their body language as swagger teeters on the edge of fear. That photograph of Boris Johnson standing beside Ursula von der Leyen said it all.

Whole political careers have been built on selling Brexit by men and women who don’t, in their guts, buy Brexit. And now, in the days ahead, they must make the sales pitch of their lives.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/were-heading-for-a-true-believers-brexit-xgkmhvl6x

We know that MPs, on balance, don`t believe in it. We had a referendum though didn`t we. That was the mistake.

My anger is placed on those MPs who voted for there to be a referendum, when they did so out of fear of their particular electorates rather than because they really thought that there should be one regardless of the result.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited December 2020

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Does it really have to be pointed out that saying that the UK, like France and Germany, is as an economically-developed democracy, and hence a desirable place to live, is not despising one’s own country?
    Not at all but he doesn't say that - nor did the remain campaign. He denigrates the fact that millions of voters have pride in their country and prefer to govern themselves than be governed afar from Europe. I was happy to vote remain but like many am less than fond of the way the EU operates. I have lived in Spain for many years and the attitudes of many Spanish to central government in both Spain and the EU are very similar. It is the way lots of people think. For a multitude of reasons - not least an inept and patronising campaign - the vote in 2016 was lost. We need to move one from blaming 'gullible' voters and dealing with the consequences. The plain fact is that many on the liberal, left centre are to put it mildly unconvincing when selling their version of what the UK should be - the last one to do so effectively was T. Blair and it didn't end well.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Parris is right though isn`t he. I don`t think that "middle class chatterers" despise their own country - rather, they see equivalence with others.

Ahem - try Roger of this parish's comments about those who live in Hartlepool as just one of many examples.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Why does condemning supine Tory ministers who claim the UK will thrive after a no deal Brexit when they know what harm it will cause equate to despising the country?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Was that the one which Labour and others voted down when they had the chance? I mean I agree but the failure of so many to accept the result in 2016 and try to reverse it has contributed to the mess.
  • Options
    felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Ahem - try Roger of this parish's comments about those who live in Hartlepool as just one of many examples.
    See your point. Sounds like we are both "reluctant remainers". This used to be the majority position I think. The referendum, on reflection, was impossible to win when everything we said was categorised as "Project Fear".
  • Options
    felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

How is your contempt for middle class, Remain-voting liberals any less hate-filled than Roger’s contempt for working class, Leave voters in Hartlepool?

• Options
    edited December 2020

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Why does condemning supine Tory ministers who claim the UK will thrive after a no deal Brexit when they know what harm it will cause equate to despising the country?

Felix clearly subscribes to a Trumpian school of logic.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

I love the country of my birth, Scotland. I love my adopted city, London - especially the southern region thereof. I have enough affection for England to put up St George bunting and support their football team every four years. I hate Brexit, and think it shows England in a rather unflattering light. My feelings are more like sadness than anger, though.
    The feelings of one middle class person (not really a chatterer, I tend to leave the small talk to my wife).
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,246
    Jonathan said:

British exceptionalism is the best exceptionalism in the world.

Everyone likes the smell of their own farts.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Jonathan said:

You are Rudi Gulliani and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Jonathan said:

Ha ha, not always.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

As you know my reference was to his attitude to the voters because they have views about their country with which he disagrees. And I believe he is wrong. I do not like Brexit but I do not think tens of millions of voters believe the British are 'much, much better than the rest'. Nor do I think criticising them in this way will help to move things forward any more than that approach helped in 2016. Every day this site is littered with those who bemoan the 'ignorance' of millions who voted for Brexit - often denigrating their provincialism, lack of education etc, etc. Frankly it is not a good look.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

But is there any real evidence that British exceptionalism was a significant factor? I favour austerity; others blame immigration; the old Tory buffers on the backbenches bang on about sovereignty. Exceptionalism though?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Not at all but he doesn't say that - nor did the remain campaign. He denigrates the fact that millions of voters have pride in their country and prefer to govern themselves than be governed afar from Europe. I was happy to vote remain but like many am less than fond of the way the EU operates. I have lived in Spain for many years and the attitudes of many Spanish to central government in both Spain and the EU are very similar. It is the way lots of people think. For a multitude of reasons - not least an inept and patronising campaign - the vote in 2016 was lost. We need to move one from blaming 'gullible' voters and dealing with the consequences. The plain fact is that many on the liberal, left centre are to put it mildly unconvincing when selling their version of what the UK should be - the last one to do so effectively was T. Blair and it didn't end well.
    Yep, the Tory-led and Tory-fronted campaign to Remain in the EU was inept. The Tory-led and Tory-fronted campaign to Leave was much more effective. Now we await the thrilling prosperity, low taxes, low borrowing, high public spending and global British leadership this Tory government has promised to deliver for us. It’s going to be great.

• Options
    On topic: ACB seems to have failed badly in her first mission against the Deep State?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. JohnL, quite agree. Some people like attributing fictional causes for the result to help them evade having to engage with genuine arguments or people's real concerns, whilst also allowing them paint Leavers as weird or otherwise flawed.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't usually have much time for the "you are an expat" argument, but these people at least do not despise their country too much to live there. We here are facing, and you are not, a period of real discomfort and uncertainty and perhaps worse. You are not. That being so, could you just put the whole being a complete prick thing on hold for a month or so? Thanks.
  • Options
    OT I've been working my way through the Lovejoy box set and they seem to have had an eye on the US market, with references to Donald Trump and the War of Independence, and the American pronunciation of Moscow. There's even been a character called Nick Palmer. A useful reminder (to me) that it can be hard to distinguish trends from coincidences.
  • Options
    F1: had a quick early look at Perez for points, as he starts at the back. Only 1.36.

Not interested at those odds. Every chance he'll do it but also of getting caught up in lap 1 shenanigans.
  • Options

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

How is your contempt for middle class, Remain-voting liberals any less hate-filled than Roger’s contempt for working class, Leave voters in Hartlepool?

Different not least becuase I voted remain - but they massively dominate the media and I cannot easily forgive them for the fact that they manged to lose what should have been an easy win. I am middle-class but I do not despise the lives and views of those who aren't.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

As you know my reference was to his attitude to the voters because they have views about their country with which he disagrees. And I believe he is wrong. I do not like Brexit but I do not think tens of millions of voters believe the British are 'much, much better than the rest'. Nor do I think criticising them in this way will help to move things forward any more than that approach helped in 2016. Every day this site is littered with those who bemoan the 'ignorance' of millions who voted for Brexit - often denigrating their provincialism, lack of education etc, etc. Frankly it is not a good look.
    Maybe you should spend more time in the UK, Felix. There is undoubtedly a strong strain of exceptionalism here that is perfectly encapsulated by the likes of the Mail, the Telegraph, the Express and the Sun. I do agree it’s not tens of millions of people, though. But it doesn’t need to be.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,595
    Scott_xP said:
    That Twitter thread is well worth a read. I remember the shortages in the shops in the early Seventies, including toilet rolls at one point.

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1337529833346265090?s=19
  • Options

On topic: ACB seems to have failed badly in her first mission against the Deep State?

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1337551360909332484
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Felix clearly subscribes to a Trumpian school of logic.
    The abundance of foodbanks in ' eastern European' France is clearly still hurting I see.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

But is there any real evidence that British exceptionalism was a significant factor? I favour austerity; others blame immigration; the old Tory buffers on the backbenches bang on about sovereignty. Exceptionalism though?
    In an election where 2% swings the vote wouldnt there be many factors? More than 2% think the UK is better than its neighbours so shouldnt have to follow the collective rules. It is less of a factor than austerity, immigration or even PTs favourite sovereignty but it exists to a significant level given how close the vote is.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep, the Tory-led and Tory-fronted campaign to Remain in the EU was inept. The Tory-led and Tory-fronted campaign to Leave was much more effective. Now we await the thrilling prosperity, low taxes, low borrowing, high public spending and global British leadership this Tory government has promised to deliver for us. It’s going to be great.

Lol. Nice try.
  • Options
    felix said:

they manged to lose what should have been an easy win.

OK, what should they have done that they didn't do to convince the Little Englanders that staying in was better than BoZo's sunlit uplands?
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, disagree.

Lots of pro-EU people see us as more European in identity terms compared to sceptics. I think the exceptionalism you see isn't there, it's just how you read people who think the UK/its people/its culture are more substantially different and separate to the EU.

Our different approaches to law are just one example of this.

Wanting to control our own policies isn't exceptionalism, it's the norm for democratic nation-states. There is an argument to give away slices of sovereignty, losing control by degrees in exchange for greater bargaining power, but that is a trade-off. And the emotional attachment to the EU is something that very few British people have.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Tony Blair might have been an exceptionalist: This country is a blessed nation. The British are special. The world knows it; in our innermost thoughts, we know it. This is the greatest nation on Earth.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Scott_xP said:
    I thought it was covid-related, and worldwide?
  • Options
    It's funny seeing people refer to British exceptionalism just because some don't want to be in their larger federation neighbour.

Don't hear much talk about Canadian exceptionalism for not want to be states of the USA.
  • Options

And the emotional attachment to the EU is something that very few British people have.

True. Most people who voted remain have no emotional attachment to the construct. It was cold hard economics (see Thatcher upthread) and self interest (we had more opportunities inside than out)
  • Options
    Mr. Nichomar, although the Andromeda sci-fi series was, er, not great, the idea of a Nietzschean race was pretty interesting (unified more by philosophical outlook than anything else).

The problem is practicality. You can't slice and dice a landmass into a billion tiny pockets of difference that co-operate on some matters and not others. That'd be chaotic. Stability and cohesion requires larger scale political bodies, hence the nation-state.

The EU's problem is the tension between democratic nation-states with coherent national identities and the ever increasing pressure for greater integration and (usually) permanent ceding of national power from an electorate to a bureaucracy.

Verhofstadt's[sp] open federalism has its drawbacks but it does at least recognise the problem...

Mr. JohnL, he was projecting Americanisms. Rather akin to BLM dimwits.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't usually have much time for the "you are an expat" argument, but these people at least do not despise their country too much to live there. We here are facing, and you are not, a period of real discomfort and uncertainty and perhaps worse. You are not. That being so, could you just put the whole being a complete prick thing on hold for a month or so? Thanks.
    Hello - I didn't realise you owned and moderated the site and decided who could post. Oh and btw all of my income is from the UK to which I pay taxes and also which has been impacted by the fall in the £ as a result of the Brexit uncertainty which I did not vote for. And I am not an 'expat' I am an immigrant in Spain and very content to stay even on a reduced income.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    That Twitter thread is well worth a read. I remember the shortages in the shops in the early Seventies, including toilet rolls at one point.

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1337529833346265090?s=19
    Perhaps this is English exceptionalism......but in terms of supermarkets we may have the best blend of price, range and quality in the world.

I have seen better on each individually elsewhere but not the combination.

We seem to be putting that at risk to avoid BJs political embarrassment.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,343
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Lol. Nice try.
    He's right though, isn't he? Tories led the Leave campaign and did, then and subsequently, promise sunlit uplands. For instance:-

Jacob Rees-Mogg: No-deal Brexit will boost UK economy by £1.1 trillion over 15 years
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/10/jacob-rees-mogg-no-deal-brexit-will-boost-uk-economy-11-trillion/
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Tony Blair might have been an exceptionalist: This country is a blessed nation. The British are special. The world knows it; in our innermost thoughts, we know it. This is the greatest nation on Earth.
    And to seal it, Gavin Williamson said similar a few days ago.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

felix said:

OK, what should they have done that they didn't do to convince the Little Englanders that staying in was better than BoZo's sunlit uplands?
    To start with could have tried making positive arguments for what was good with the EU. Given some sunlit European uplands.

Simply saying life will be shit under Brexit doesn't work for those of us who aren't afraid of Brexit.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    OnboardG1 said:

Nope, each slate of electors votes in person (normally at the state capitol). The electors are brought in and they vote with some ceremony. This year they’re meeting up in secret, being driven to the location by state troopers and voting in an abbreviated manner because of Covid according to politico.
    Are the votes public or do they get sealed until Congress counts them on January 6?
  • Options
    Mr. Scott, the Remain campaign remains bizarre because those things offer pretty clear strategies for positive advocacy (look at these advantage, ooh, shiny) whereas they focused on the alternative and overdid the woe and doom so much that the credible warnings were ignored.

If there's an Achilles' heel (currency, say...) hammering it makes sense. A general "everything will be terrible unless you vote for us" makes it feel extorted, and in a battle devoid of facts and reason (both campaigns were awful) complacent hope will usually trump fear and nagging.

That said, it was still pretty close.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes everyone who lives overseas despises their own country. Take a look in the mirror before you go calling others pricks.
  • Options

We are, but this is the bit that makes no sense.

He avoids political embarrassment for a week, but how does he avoid the political embarrassment of delays and shortages and closures in the New year?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

felix said:

I think they should have been more honest about the pros and cons, I think they should have tried to address the concerns of voters instead of denigrating them and calling them silly names. That would have been a start. But what's done is done - and they show little sign of having learnt a thing in the meantime - the Labour party abdicated completely with the Corbyn nonsense, the Liberals helped scupper the May deal and the Tories chose probably the worst leader for the job possible - yet he won easily despite 3 years of constant sniping about the 2016 vote. It's very frustrating - and to top,it all the EU has been less than stellar in its approach.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,595
    Scott_xP said:
    Isn't Honda Swindon due to close anyway?

I remember when it was Mrs T that got Honda here to help modernise moribund British Leyland. The first of the Japanese to have a car factory here.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited December 2020

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

The real mistakes were the Tory-led campaign to join the EEC in the 1960s and finally in 1972 and the Tory-led campaign to sign up to the European Union in 1992. Mind you, the Labour-led campaign to seal our membership with a referendum in 1975 was pretty shady too, as was the Labour-led campaign to give up much of our rebate in 2007 for nothing in return.

Gordon Brown's campaign to sign us up to the European Constitution by relabelling it to avoid a referendum is in a class by itself for deceit and treachery.

The whole history of our dealing with the EEC/EU since the 60s has been a sorry mess. The only person who really managed to change things for the better, however temporarily, was, inevitably, Margaret Thatcher, when she got most of our money back.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We are, but this is the bit that makes no sense.

He avoids political embarrassment for a week, but how does he avoid the political embarrassment of delays and shortages and closures in the New year?
    I am signed up to team Kinabalu on this, we do the deal in the end. Slightly wavering given the rhetoric and posturing but the logic flowing from your question is decisive.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Fishing, aye.

Consulting the electorate earlier would've presented the opportunity to get a democratic mandate to try and change things without leaving.

However, Cameron didn't have a huge amount of choice, and whilst he should've insisted on a prospectus put together by the official Leave campaign if he hadn't offered a referendum it could easily have led to a Con-UKIP coalition doing the same thing more tilted to Leave.

The PCP, however, deserves excoriating for backing the likes of Boris Johnson, a man unfit to be in Cabinet and a proven incompetent, to succeed May.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Ah yes.

The other guilty politicians. The Congress and state supporters of Trump's myriad desperate lawsuits, and the MPs who voted for a Brexit they believe will harm this country.

Whatever you think about Peter Bone or Bill Cash, at least they've given the matter some thought. They might be deluded, they probably are wrong but they do believe what they say about Brexit. Hand on heart, can you say the same about Boris?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    1 Wind up liberal comedians.
    2 Got King Boris on the throne.
    3 Shown them foreigners who is boss.
    4 Fish!!!
    5 Sovereignty
    6 Errr....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    1) Blue passports (though personally I like the burgundy ones);
    2) Have to admit I’m struggling now.
    3) Err. I give up.
  • Options

They might be deluded, they probably are wrong but they do believe what they say about Brexit. Hand on heart, can you say the same about Boris?

The only thing BoZo believes in is BoZo
This discussion has been closed.