Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rating Boris and Keir – from the latest Lord Ashcroft research – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited October 2020 in General
Rating Boris and Keir – from the latest Lord Ashcroft research – politicalbetting.com

From latest @LordAshcroft research. pic.twitter.com/1Rc9m4smDB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Goodnight
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Ave atque vale
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    "Smug" and "out of touch" are bigger for Starmer than Johnson.

If one word could define Johnson it is "smug."

As for "out of touch". Wearing the hi-viz every day must be doing the trick for Johnson.
  • Options
    I must admit that I'm dismayed by the story in the FT (behind a paywall, but people are quoting excepts) that the vaccine won't be available to under 50s, apparently at any stage. I find this a bit difficult to understand, since otherwise keeping R below 1 would be incompatible with ever returning to halfway normal life. Am I missing something?

I'm not given to despondency but this news, late at night, is the last I wanted to hear.

--AS
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

I must admit that I'm dismayed by the story in the FT (behind a paywall, but people are quoting excepts) that the vaccine won't be available to under 50s, apparently at any stage. I find this a bit difficult to understand, since otherwise keeping R below 1 would be incompatible with ever returning to halfway normal life. Am I missing something?

I'm not given to despondency but this news, late at night, is the last I wanted to hear.

--AS

Offering a universal vaccine at the next General Election would be a sure fire winner. Better even than offering an "in/out EU referendum" for 2015.
  • Options

--AS

Try googling ft vaccine task force head and clicking the top link

Relevant bit

“People keep talking about ‘time to vaccinate the whole population’, but that is misguided,” she said. “There’s going to be no vaccination of people under 18. It’s an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50, focusing on health workers and care home workers and the vulnerable.”

That is as coherent as a White House medical bulletin, and as honest. She isn't clarifying a point on which people are misguided, she is announcing a huge policy shift from vaccination as key to herd immunity, to vaccination as just one more weapon in the fight.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

--AS

Why do you assume that a target of keeping R under 1 would remain with vaccination of “high risk” groups? I would assume the plan in that case would be to adopt the “herd immunity” strategy, but without the need for shielding. “Let it rip” without the 250k deaths if you like.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Much more significantly from that ft article

David Nabarro, special envoy to the World Health Organization on Covid-19, also told the FT that addressing the coronavirus crisis was “not going to be a case of everyone getting vaccinated”.

“There will be a definite analysis of who is the priority for the vaccine, based on where they live, their occupation and their age bracket,” he said. “We’re not fundamentally using the vaccine to create population immunity, we’re just changing the likelihood people will get harmed or hurt. It will be strategic.”

Vaccine != herd immunity is completely new. The closer a vaccine gets the further away it gets and the less of a holy grail it turns out to be - just one more tool in the box along with masks and lockdowns.
    (FPT)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    alex_ said:

--AS

Why do you assume that a target of keeping R under 1 would remain with vaccination of “high risk” groups? I would assume the plan in that case would be to adopt the “herd immunity” strategy, but without the need for shielding. “Let it rip” without the 250k deaths if you like.
    We don't even know there is any kind of immunity.
    Let alone it lasting long enough for there to be herd immunity.
  • Options
    It is also possible that she is saying that there isn’t a target of vaccinating everybody in advance of Covid restrictions being released. Ie vaccination for all who want it could still be a long term goal, but it isn’t a necessary precondition of the resumption of normal life.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    #PrayForTrump'sDriver
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Overall 53% of voters would prefer a Starmer government and 47% a Boris government, not a million miles from the current Biden v Trump numbers.

90% of Tory Leave voters and 84% of Tory Remain voters and 69% of 2019 Lab-Con switchers would prefer a Boris government, 97% of Labour Remain voters, 86% of Labour Leave voters and 79% of LD voters would prefer a Starmer led government

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/A-NEW-POLITICAL-LANDSCAPE-Oct-2020.pdf
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Biden has hundreds of millions doesnt he? He could have his ads in the same place from now until Election Day if he wanted to. Wonder why he isn’t.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

--AS

If there’s no immunity then a vaccine is pointless, isn’t it? A vaccine just being a form of immunity.

But that’s not the point - which is to approach the virus as largely harmless to the mass of the population not prioritised for vaccine. People can point to some deaths, and the possibility of some ongoing health issues - but this is true of any number of illnesses that we live with.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

David Nabarro, special envoy to the World Health Organization on Covid-19, also told the FT that addressing the coronavirus crisis was “not going to be a case of everyone getting vaccinated”.

“There will be a definite analysis of who is the priority for the vaccine, based on where they live, their occupation and their age bracket,” he said. “We’re not fundamentally using the vaccine to create population immunity, we’re just changing the likelihood people will get harmed or hurt. It will be strategic.”

Vaccine != herd immunity is completely new. The closer a vaccine gets the further away it gets and the less of a holy grail it turns out to be - just one more tool in the box along with masks and lockdowns.
    (FPT)
    I think the point some are missing is that if the trials haven't proved safety for children then it can't be given to children.

It seems like the trials have been conducted on adults, so this will be a vaccine for adults.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

--AS

I'm not sure the NHS would cope. Certainly the risk of death is pretty low for under 50s (though as a man in his 40s with relevant underlying conditions, I don't feel too great about it). But the risk of hospitalization, as I recall from the first wave, is still non-negligible even for younger groups. And of course a vaccine isn't going to be completely effective for those vaccinated, so "letting it rip" means that quite a lot of older people will still catch and die from it.

(We don't yet know about long-term consequences of those younger ones who recover, but at the moment it's difficult to tell whether the anecdotes are overblown.)

Obviously vaccinate at-risk groups first, no question, but I don't see how society would permit a "let it rip" strategy when it's been expecting a "wait for vaccine" one.

--AS
  • Options
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

--AS

If there’s no immunity then a vaccine is pointless, isn’t it?
    QTWAIN.

Most vaccines don't guarantee immunity, they work by reducing the likelihood of you getting and passing on the virus, and/or reducing the likelihood of getting sick if you do. A vaccine which does that will be tremendously useful, even if it isn't perfect.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

(FPT)
    I think the point some are missing is that if the trials haven't proved safety for children then it can't be given to children.

It seems like the trials have been conducted on adults, so this will be a vaccine for adults.
    That's completely reasonable. But vaccine for adults is quite a way from vaccine for adults over 50.

--AS
  • Options
    alex_ said:

It is also possible that she is saying that there isn’t a target of vaccinating everybody in advance of Covid restrictions being released. Ie vaccination for all who want it could still be a long term goal, but it isn’t a necessary precondition of the resumption of normal life.

No it isn’t. Read the article. She couldn't be clearer.
  • Options

alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

--AS

If there’s no immunity then a vaccine is pointless, isn’t it?
    QTWAIN.

Most vaccines don't guarantee immunity, they work by reducing the likelihood of you getting and passing on the virus, and/or reducing the likelihood of getting sick if you do. A vaccine which does that will be tremendously useful, even if it isn't perfect.
    But in context that I wrote it, that’s likely to also be true of those who catch the virus. It’s possible it might not provide absolute immunity but it is likely that if it doesn’t any future infection will be less severe etc.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I can’t...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

(FPT)

No, Read the article. Yes, obviously under 18s are excluded for that reason, but she then promptly excludes 19-49 y.o.s as well

"There’s going to be no vaccination of people under 18. It’s an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50..."
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I can’t...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Yes it is what she says in the article.

Ms Bingham, who is also managing partner at fund manager SV Health Investors, said that if any vaccine proved to be 95 per cent effective, which is thought to be unlikely, then it may make sense to vaccinate more widely but any decision on this would be taken later.

Decisions on wder testing would be taken lately and based upon how effective the vaccine is.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

--AS

If there’s no immunity then a vaccine is pointless, isn’t it? A vaccine just being a form of immunity.

But that’s not the point - which is to approach the virus as largely harmless to the mass of the population not prioritised for vaccine. People can point to some deaths, and the possibility of some ongoing health issues - but this is true of any number of illnesses that we live with.
    Indeed we have never attempted a "herd immunity " strategy for flu. It simply isn't an option.
    I would like to see herd immunity dropped as a potential strategy until we have some decent evidence for it as a possibility.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I can’t...
    So she’s saying that the risk-benefit for under 50s (presumably not including those with underlying conditions who would get it as well) will probably be negative. That doesn’t say to me that we continue with masks and lockdowns. Just that the dangers to those under 50 don’t justify vaccinating them. Presumably if this assessment changes then the vaccination program can and will be extended.
  • Options
    And truly shockingly from Bingham in the FT

Ms Bingham said that vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis.

The chances of freak harm from a properly tested vaccine are the same as the chances of any other freak harm like being hit by a meteor - that's what freak means. The suggestion that they are higher from an authority on vaccines is a gift to anti vaxxers and is just a shit argument designed to disguise a u turn.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Ms Bingham said that vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis.

The chances of freak harm from a properly tested vaccine are the same as the chances of any other freak harm like being hit by a meteor - that's what freak means. The suggestion that they are higher from an authority on vaccines is a gift to anti vaxxers and is just a shit argument designed to disguise a u turn.

Why do you think we don’t vaccinate everyone against influenzas? Even though doing so would almost certainly reduce flu deaths?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    I think there's a fair chance that drive tonight may be one of Trump's biggest ever political mistakes.

Many middle of the road people are going to think it was unbelievably dangerous and unnecessary.

It might well be the last straw for some undecided voters.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks to all for your advice.

I am going to mention the articles because (a) I stand by every word and if interviewed would be very happy to explain why they show I’d be good in the role; (b) they show that I have thought about police matters and not just finance; and (c) if they don’t like the idea of a candid friend speaking truth to power, I wouldn’t want the role.

Also due diligence is mostly done very badly so there’s no guarantee that they’d read anything at all unless led by the nose. Anyway off to bed so that I get my personal statement ready tomorrow.

My first draft: “There should be at least one person near government who is competent and has integrity.” may need some amendment. 😂

Good luck. I'd also be upfront about it, I don't think there is anything in there that would make you less suitable for the role. The one downside is you might be told not to write for us going forward...!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I can’t...
    So she’s saying that the risk-benefit for under 50s (presumably not including those with underlying conditions who would get it as well) will probably be negative. That doesn’t say to me that we continue with masks and lockdowns. Just that the dangers to those under 50 don’t justify vaccinating them. Presumably if this assessment changes then the vaccination program can and will be extended.
    But there's the dangers posed by the under 50s to the over 50s, unless your vaccine works 100% which it doesn't. Anyway, the point is not whether the new policy is a good one but that it is a new one being dishonestly misrepresented as what we intended all along.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

The reason anti-vaxxers are loons is because the vaccination guidance is driven by science and not politics or economics. If the science says the cost-benefit means we don't recommend vaccinating the healthy then that is the science, overriding that would be a boon to antivaxxers.

Once care staff and patients, the over 50s and the vulnerable are vaccinated we should be able to head back towards normal even without everyone being vaccinated.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Why do you think we don’t vaccinate everyone against influenzas? Even though doing so would almost certainly reduce flu deaths?
    See above or below. It's not the policy, it's the dishonesty about the policy. Until this article the Holy grail was herd immunity via vaccine.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Surely “freak” in this context just means highly unlikely. How unlikely depends on the vaccine. We know that vaccines (or indeed most medicines) aren’t 100% percent guaranteed safe. There is always the risk that they can generate adverse reactions. In some people that risk can be predicted in advance and they don’t get vaccinated in the first place. In others it can’t.That is why you weigh the risk of adverse reaction against the benefits that accrue.

Inchildren mass vaccination is pursued to protect those who can’t take the vaccine.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I can’t...
    But there's the dangers posed by the under 50s to the over 50s, unless your vaccine works 100% which it doesn't. Anyway, the point is not whether the new policy is a good one but that it is a new one being dishonestly misrepresented as what we intended all along.
    Its not a new one, its a long-term one. The government have made it crystal clear for a long time that they were ordering 60 million doses of vaccine with 2 doses needed per person.

If anyone thought that we were vaccinating everyone from that then they couldn't do the most basic maths.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

alex_ said:

--AS

I'm not sure the NHS would cope. Certainly the risk of death is pretty low for under 50s (though as a man in his 40s with relevant underlying conditions, I don't feel too great about it). But the risk of hospitalization, as I recall from the first wave, is still non-negligible even for younger groups. And of course a vaccine isn't going to be completely effective for those vaccinated, so "letting it rip" means that quite a lot of older people will still catch and die from it.

(We don't yet know about long-term consequences of those younger ones who recover, but at the moment it's difficult to tell whether the anecdotes are overblown.)

Obviously vaccinate at-risk groups first, no question, but I don't see how society would permit a "let it rip" strategy when it's been expecting a "wait for vaccine" one.

--AS
    The article sounds like a load of balls.
    Sure, it makes sense to give priority to certain groups first - those who are older; healthcare workers etc - but given that the vaccine will be available, there seems no reason not to encourage the vaccination of all adults.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

See above or below. It's not the policy, it's the dishonesty about the policy. Until this article the Holy grail was herd immunity via vaccine.
    The policy is seeking a vaccine, not herd immunity via a vaccine.

Herd immunity via a vaccine requires vaccinating childrent too and safety trials for children haven't been conducted (AFAIK) so that is impossible. That's not politics, that is science.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    With the proviso that there may still, for now, be questions still to be answered about given vaccines’ safety.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I am going to mention the articles because (a) I stand by every word and if interviewed would be very happy to explain why they show I’d be good in the role; (b) they show that I have thought about police matters and not just finance; and (c) if they don’t like the idea of a candid friend speaking truth to power, I wouldn’t want the role.

Also due diligence is mostly done very badly so there’s no guarantee that they’d read anything at all unless led by the nose. Anyway off to bed so that I get my personal statement ready tomorrow.

My first draft: “There should be at least one person near government who is competent and has integrity.” may need some amendment. 😂

Go for it. I know next to nowt about it, but.
    If they are halfway competent they'll find out what you wrote anyways.
    And who wants to work for less than half competents?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

"If I have any faults, then perhaps they are that I am too humble and too principled for my own good."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,037
    Re vaccinations:

FWIW, I think the government is trying to make sure people get any vaccine in the right order, especially given we don't know yet how long it will be effective, and what degree of immunity it will confer.

That means, older people will get the vaccine first, as will people in roles where they might be exposed to CV19 (or who might also be likely to pass it on). This means doctors, nurses, care home workers, bus drivers, etc., are likely to be first in line.

If you able to protect those most vulnerable to it, or most likely to spread the disease, then you get the biggest "bang for your buck".

In the medium term, and once these people have been vaccinated, I have little doubt that - like the influenza vaccine - it will be available to all who want it.
  • Options

"Smug" and "out of touch" are bigger for Starmer than Johnson.

If one word could define Johnson it is "smug."

As for "out of touch". Wearing the hi-viz every day must be doing the trick for Johnson.

Seems that for many, fact that PM is "smug" and/or "out of touch" are the LEAST of his sins, thus tended to be under-reported.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

FWIW, I think the government is trying to make sure people get any vaccine in the right order, especially given we don't know yet how long it will be effective, and what degree of immunity it will confer.

That means, older people will get the vaccine first, as will people in roles where they might be exposed to CV19 (or who might also be likely to pass it on). This means doctors, nurses, care home workers, bus drivers, etc., are likely to be first in line.

If you able to protect those most vulnerable to it, or most likely to spread the disease, then you get the biggest "bang for your buck".

In the medium term, and once these people have been vaccinated, I have little doubt that - like the influenza vaccine - it will be available to all who want it.

Personally as a healthy young adult I'm not too fussed about whether I get the virus, I just don't want to pass it on to my loved ones especially my grandparents. Once they're vaccinated, I'm happy to get back to normal. I won't be waiting for 'my turn' to get a vaccine before I do.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m not sure it was, although i’m sure many were under that impression. But there has also been consistent polling suggesting that fairly significant numbers would refuse a vaccine if offered. And it has never been said that vaccination would be compulsory.

As far as I am concerned I have always assumed that the vaccination was seen as the key to allowing a return to normal life. If that required vaccinating (offering a vaccine to) everyone then that would happen, if it didn’t then it wouldn’t.

I think you are definitely wrong in seeing in this statement that vaccination is just seen as “one part of the fight alongside masks/lockdowns for the long term”. Vaccine is still the holy grail to get rid of everything else.

The context of the FT report seems to be challenging the idea that we can’t return to normal until everyone is vaccinated, and questions on how long that will take. She is saying that a return to normal will be quicker than people think, because the vaccination programme time will be shorter.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

The reason anti-vaxxers are loons is because the vaccination guidance is driven by science and not politics or economics. If the science says the cost-benefit means we don't recommend vaccinating the healthy then that is the science, overriding that would be a boon to antivaxxers.

Once care staff and patients, the over 50s and the vulnerable are vaccinated we should be able to head back towards normal even without everyone being vaccinated.
    No, you are wrong. There is no genuine cost-benefit argument being made, because "freak" prejudges the issue and sets the cost at nil or negligible: freak simply means too low odds to be worth accounting for. Nor can you rescue the argument by saying that the odds are higher than that, because that's an admission that vaccines really are inherently dangerous and the anti vaxxers were right all along. You shouldn't accept that things are "driven by the science" just because Boris Johnson says they are. It's profoundly anti scientific, apart from anything.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

No, you are wrong. There is no genuine cost-benefit argument being made, because "freak" prejudges the issue and sets the cost at nil or negligible: freak simply means too low odds to be worth accounting for. Nor can you rescue the argument by saying that the odds are higher than that, because that's an admission that vaccines really are inherently dangerous and the anti vaxxers were right all along. You shouldn't accept that things are "driven by the science" just because Boris Johnson says they are. It's profoundly anti scientific, apart from anything.
    Boris Johnson shouldn't have anything to do with the science here, he is a politician with a vested interest not a scientist with credibility on the matter.

I'll put my trust on this subject to the medical and scientific experts who are testing this and the approval process it goes through - not on party partisan politicians.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    No other leader, while contagious with a deadly plague and meant to be isolating and hospitalised, would go out to meet crowds in a confined vehicle putting other people's lives in danger for an ego trip?

Farage might actually be right on that one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Tit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The American people love Trump.
    Not long before we find out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up, because there is clearly a conspiracy to pretend that the article we are all talking about does not say what it unambiguously says. There is not a word about the fit under 50s getting it later on, in due course, when its their turn, etc. It says they are never getting it, not in a million years, sunshine, and anyone who thinks otherwise can kiss my lily white ass. OK not that last bit, but probably only because of the FTs editorial guidelines. Read it. Bingham says that, and then Nabarro says the same thing. Read it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up.
    Excellent. Go and start a blog of your own.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up, because there is clearly a conspiracy to pretend that the article we are all talking about does not say what it unambiguously says. There is not a word about the fit under 50s getting it later on, in due course, when its their turn, etc. It says they are never getting it, not in a million years, sunshine, and anyone who thinks otherwise can kiss my lily white ass. OK not that last bit, but probably only because of the FTs editorial guidelines. Read it. Bingham says that, and then Nabarro says the same thing. Read it.
    Clearly a conspiracy. Rather than you having misread it and others disagreeing with your misunderstanding.

It doesn't say "never getting it, not in a million years" it says that would be a decision taken later if the science justifies it.

Ms Bingham, who is also managing partner at fund manager SV Health Investors, said that if any vaccine proved to be 95 per cent effective, which is thought to be unlikely, then it may make sense to vaccinate more widely but any decision on this would be taken later.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

--AS

--AS
    The article sounds like a load of balls.
    Sure, it makes sense to give priority to certain groups first - those who are older; healthcare workers etc - but given that the vaccine will be available, there seems no reason not to encourage the vaccination of all adults.
    I'm glad it's not just me that thinks it sounds like balls. I wonder if it was an off-the-cuff comment that's being reported as policy. I expect some kind of clarification in the next day or two.

I take comfort from the fact that Kate B is not a member of the JCVI that will suggest the policy to government, and that JCVI are pretty science-led.

It's certainly likely to be true that the risk balance is different for less-at-risk groups, and phase IV testing (the old yellow card system for reporting adverse reactions after license) as the at-risk groups are vaccinated should give a wider evidence base for this. I also remember that the swine flu vaccine was available to buy privately not all that long after the NHS vaccination program finished, or in fact probably overlapped with it.

--AS
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    There are essentially two kinds of Roman Catholics in the United States:

1. Those who attend mass once a week or more often = these are the most religious, or at least most observant Catholics; they tend to be conservative theology, ideology and politics. In US they are more likely than most Americans to be Republicans, pro-life and Trump supporters.

2. Those who attend less than once per week, from a few times a month to never = covers rest of population that considers itself in some sense Catholic, from pretty frequent mass attendees (but sleeping in or playing hooky some Sundays) to totally non-observant but still culturally or tribally Catholic; tend to be LESS conservative in religion, more moderate to progressive in ideology and politics.

Biden will have a bit more support with group #1 in 2020 than Hillary did in 2016, mostly due to NOT to him but rather to erosion of support for Trumpsky even among (some) religious conservatives,

Where he stands to make gains, AND perhaps to win or lose the elections, esp in PA and Midwest, is with group #2.

ANY poll which gives subsets for "Catholic" without differentiating into two groups based on mass attendance is just the average of a VERY politically-split personality.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

Boris Johnson shouldn't have anything to do with the science here, he is a politician with a vested interest not a scientist with credibility on the matter.

I'll put my trust on this subject to the medical and scientific experts who are testing this and the approval process it goes through - not on party partisan politicians.
    Yes, that is my point. Having faith in science is as oxymoronic as it gets - faith in experts isn't how science works. I have pointed out a logical error which an averagely bright ten year old could spot, and you think it can't be an error because it says it's science. In fact you are being led by the nose by the politicians. What has happened is this: they have been blinded by talk of 100s of ms of doses being made to the fact that actually 100s of bns are needed, and are desperately dressing up the necessary rationing as what was intended all along. I am not making this up: Google ft vaccine availability for the relevant stories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Amazing Nige can still fit his tongue up there, what with the UV lamp and bleach enema already inserted.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    rcs1000 said:

I have little doubt that - like the influenza vaccine - it will be available to all who want it.

Eh ? Flu vaccine isn't available generally this year.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up.
    OK. Still think Boudicca was a Welshman?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    edited October 2020

--AS

You can nearly always read FT articles if you put the title into a Google search, whereas a direct link usually hits the paywall.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up.
    Man?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

Yes, that is my point. Having faith in science is as oxymoronic as it gets - faith in experts isn't how science works. I have pointed out a logical error which an averagely bright ten year old could spot, and you think it can't be an error because it says it's science. In fact you are being led by the nose by the politicians. What has happened is this: they have been blinded by talk of 100s of ms of doses being made to the fact that actually 100s of bns are needed, and are desperately dressing up the necessary rationing as what was intended all along. I am not making this up: Google ft vaccine availability for the relevant stories.
    There is no mistake you are the one who is ignorant it seems. Stated policy has for months been to get 60m doses of vaccine with 2 doses per person.

If it is news to you only today that 60m doses, given out 2 per person, won't vaccinate everyone that might be news to you. It is not news to me.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

I give up.
    Man?
    Welsh?

I am not the expert here.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

There is no mistake you are the one who is ignorant it seems. Stated policy has for months been to get 60m doses of vaccine with 2 doses per person.

If it is news to you only today that 60m doses, given out 2 per person, won't vaccinate everyone that might be news to you. It is not news to me.
    That is just thoroughly embarrassing. The 60m is just one of four deals. Of the most promising one, the AZ vaccine, we have a deal for 100m which is 2 doses per head with some to spare if you leave out the under 18s. And a deal for vaccines is not the same as vaccines.

"The UK has signed a deal with GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi Pasteur for 60 million doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine, as it races with other world powers to secure supplies.

It’s the fourth deal of this kind the British government has signed in recent months, for a total of 250 million doses secured so far."

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/29/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-signs-new-deal-for-60-million-doses-of-potential-covid-19-solution
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

That is just thoroughly embarrassing. The 60m is just one of four deals. Of the most promising one, the AZ vaccine, we have a deal for 100m which is 2 doses per head with some to spare if you leave out the under 18s. And a deal for vaccines is not the same as vaccines.

"The UK has signed a deal with GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi Pasteur for 60 million doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine, as it races with other world powers to secure supplies.

It’s the fourth deal of this kind the British government has signed in recent months, for a total of 250 million doses secured so far."

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/29/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-signs-new-deal-for-60-million-doses-of-potential-covid-19-solution
    That doesn't sound like they want to restrict who gets it. Why would they order 100m doses of one candidate if only half were going to be used?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

It's up to 340 million now: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53772650

Which is why I thought the FT article had to be not as it seemed.

--AS
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry you're wrong.

It's up to 340 million now: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53772650

Which is why I thought the FT article had to be not as it seemed.

--AS
    The Gov't should do vulnerable/health care first of course, but as the various vaccines (hopefully) roll through phase 3 trials succesfully it can be rolled out to everyone.
    If people don't want it, that's their watch but most will I expect.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    There are essentially two kinds of Roman Catholics in the United States:

1. Those who attend mass once a week or more often = these are the most religious, or at least most observant Catholics; they tend to be conservative theology, ideology and politics. In US they are more likely than most Americans to be Republicans, pro-life and Trump supporters.

2. Those who attend less than once per week, from a few times a month to never = covers rest of population that considers itself in some sense Catholic, from pretty frequent mass attendees (but sleeping in or playing hooky some Sundays) to totally non-observant but still culturally or tribally Catholic; tend to be LESS conservative in religion, more moderate to progressive in ideology and politics.

Biden will have a bit more support with group #1 in 2020 than Hillary did in 2016, mostly due to NOT to him but rather to erosion of support for Trumpsky even among (some) religious conservatives,

Where he stands to make gains, AND perhaps to win or lose the elections, esp in PA and Midwest, is with group #2.

ANY poll which gives subsets for "Catholic" without differentiating into two groups based on mass attendance is just the average of a VERY politically-split personality.
    I'm a practicing Catholic and an American (though I live over here.)

From what I've seen, in a lot of parishes you can split the first group into two main sub-groups. Those who are old. And those who are at death's door.

The abuse scandals really did a number of the Church in America. Middle class parents not being able to afford tuition at Catholic High Schools (with many of them subsequently disappearing) didn't help.

Biden will probably get more support from both groups simply he is Catholic and resembles someone you might see in the pews. A big step down from JFK (or Al Smith... or Tim Kaine....) but whatever.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,037
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Re vaccinations:

It can say it all it likes: I would be staggered if - by the end of 2021 - there aren't people under the age of 50 getting it. Maybe not en mass, but it will certainly be an option.

One of the main drivers of this will be that some countries (like Australia or New Zealand) will, I'm sure, simply not allow people to enter without proof of vaccination.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    There must be a chance the virus will just disappear naturally, before the need for mass vaccinations.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There must be a chance the virus will just disappear naturally, before the need for mass vaccinations.

As this thread has done.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Go for it. I know next to nowt about it, but.
    If they are halfway competent they'll find out what you wrote anyways.
    And who wants to work for less than half competents?
    Someone who wants a wide choice of jobs?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

I have little doubt that - like the influenza vaccine - it will be available to all who want it.

Eh ? Flu vaccine isn't available generally this year.
    It’s American speak. He means, anyone who can pay for it.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,246

HYUFD said:
    Amazing Nige can still fit his tongue up there, what with the UV lamp and bleach enema already inserted.
    If Trumplestiltskin does disappear up the chimney in January, then perhaps we can hope the loathsome Farage is also taken into the flames. A bonfire of fatuofascists would be a magnificent catharsis.
This discussion has been closed.