Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Majority of Brits support the ‘Rule of Six’ but few are ready to be “snitchers” – politicalbetting.c

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2020 in General
Majority of Brits support the ‘Rule of Six’ but few are ready to be “snitchers” – politicalbetting.com

New Ipsos-MORI polling on support for the "rule of six" pic.twitter.com/FmX7P2dZMO

Read the full story here

Comments

• That is interesting.

Perhaps those with good eyesight will in future be required to wear lab or welding goggles to protect their eyes from incoming viruses, or simply (as the study suggests) to stop people touching their eyes and thus transferring the virus from their hands. Anecdata: a friend remarked to me some time ago that he'd not caught a cold since using tissues to rub his eyes.

There was a suggestion at work (iirc -- now redundant so cannot check) that people use a clean hand/dirty system by using their non-favoured hand to open doors, press buttons and so on. The rationale was that it was hard to stop touching your face, and that the favoured hand was invariably used so keep it clean.
  • Third, like SLAB (is Mick Pork still GOTV?)

Fascinating study - small sample but big effect:

Findings In this cohort of 276 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Suizhou, China, the proportion of daily wearers of eyeglasses was lower than that of the local population (5.8% vs 31.5%).
  • Snitching is all very well but what are the rules? I've mentioned before the fish and chip shop seemed unaware of the changes coming into force today, presumably because they work 12 hour shifts rather than spend all day keenly observing politics like normal people.

And even I am confused this morning. The government has announced weddings will be limited to 15 people but the government's published guidelines have not yet been updated so still refer to 30.

15 limit: Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies and receptions will be restricted to a maximum of 15 people (down from 30).
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-what-has-changed-22-september

30 limit: Marriage ceremonies Must have no more than 30 people. Anyone working is not included as part of the 30 person limit.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-use-of-places-of-worship-during-the-pandemic-from-4-july/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-use-of-places-of-worship-during-the-pandemic-from-4-july (updated 17/9)

30 limit: No more than 30 people should attend a marriage or civil partnership
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-small-marriages-and-civil-partnerships/covid-19-guidance-for-small-marriages-and-civil-partnerships

Could it be this inconsistent messaging results from central direction by Number 10 (or wherever Dominic Cummings is holed up these days) without involving the normal departmental channels that maintain these pages?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2020
    [OT Admin] the site is still very slow and often will not reload on Firefox, leading to long and misleading display of the message that comments are closed. Perhaps after November the site might spend some of its winnings from the Biden/Trump landslide (delete as appropriate) on a Vanilla/Wordpress consultant to work with @rcs1000 for a day or two.

Or just move that line.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I wonder how these enormous groups of “self isolating” students on campus accommodation are getting access to food? From memory the amount of food storage space in campus accommodation was pretty limited - it’s not really possible for the maintenance of several weeks supplies and supermarket deliveries hardly an option. So even being careful local campus shops and supermarkets are likely to be pretty full and rendering self isolation measures pretty ineffective. Unless campuses are effectively treated as whole “bubbles” in which case you might as well just let it spread all over and hope it burns itself out.

Snitching is all very well but what are the rules? I've mentioned before the fish and chip shop seemed unaware of the changes coming into force today, presumably because they work 12 hour shifts rather than spend all day keenly observing politics like normal people.

And even I am confused this morning. The government has announced weddings will be limited to 15 people but the government's published guidelines have not yet been updated so still refer to 30.

15 limit: Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies and receptions will be restricted to a maximum of 15 people (down from 30).
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-what-has-changed-22-september

30 limit: Marriage ceremonies Must have no more than 30 people. Anyone working is not included as part of the 30 person limit.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-use-of-places-of-worship-during-the-pandemic-from-4-july/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-use-of-places-of-worship-during-the-pandemic-from-4-july (updated 17/9)

30 limit: No more than 30 people should attend a marriage or civil partnership
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-small-marriages-and-civil-partnerships/covid-19-guidance-for-small-marriages-and-civil-partnerships

Could it be this inconsistent messaging results from central direction by Number 10 (or wherever Dominic Cummings is holed up these days) without involving the normal departmental channels that maintain these pages?

Yes I’ve not remotely understood the justification of the centralisation of civil service press operation. It is a very “politician centric” view that treats all press releases and statements to be treated as political messaging to be controlled. When the reality is that a huge amount, probably the vast majority, of press office work involves the routine release of information to keep the public informed about Government actions and processes. The amount that needs actual sign off by ministers is probably pretty small.

And there’s nothing worse at all than having poorly maintained government websites giving inaccurate or out of date information. The public can’t be expected to make judgements over what is reliable and what is not. If they read it on a Government website, however obscure, they have to be able to trust it.
  • alex_ said:

I wonder how these enormous groups of “self isolating” students on campus accommodation are getting access to food? From memory the amount of food storage space in campus accommodation was pretty limited - it’s not really possible for the maintenance of several weeks supplies and supermarket deliveries hardly an option. So even being careful local campus shops and supermarkets are likely to be pretty full and rendering self isolation measures pretty ineffective. Unless campuses are effectively treated as whole “bubbles” in which case you might as well just let it spread all over and hope it burns itself out.

Especially with regard to students, are we talking about asymptomatic infection or full-blown Covid-19 and should we object to the former? Anecdote: a friend has just tested clean after three weeks of positive tests but no clinical signs; another friend's mother died last week from this plague.
    Of course it’s even more important when as we know, government guidance on websites doesn’t always align with the actual legal position. Do we know how the law on pubs closing at 10pm has been framed yet? “Last orders”? “Nobody in after a certain time”? “Everybody out before 10pm”?

And, dare I suggest it, what will be the legal position on old style “lock-ins” (limited to 5 customers and the landlord, obviously!)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    edited September 2020
    Some typically measured hypocrisy from the senator, who will still vote to give Trump another justice before the election to help fix it.

Romney: 'Unthinkable and unacceptable' to not commit to peaceful transition of power
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517935-romney-unthinkable-and-unacceptable-to-not-commit-to-peaceful-transition-of
  • Nigelb said:

Some typically measured hypocrisy from the senator, who will still vote to give Trump another justice before the election to help fix it.

Romney: 'Unthinkable and unacceptable' to not commit to peaceful transition of power
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517935-romney-unthinkable-and-unacceptable-to-not-commit-to-peaceful-transition-of

TBF you can still wait and see who he picks, in the event that it was someone less hackish than the current GOP judges it might help to seat them.

Nigelb said:

TBF you can still wait and see who he picks, in the event that it was someone less hackish than the current GOP judges it might help to seat them.
    Sure.
    I’m done being fair. This administration and its enablers have no respect for law or constitution except as tools of power; the evidence was long since overwhelming.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

That is interesting.

Perhaps those with good eyesight will in future be required to wear lab or welding goggles to protect their eyes from incoming viruses, or simply (as the study suggests) to stop people touching their eyes and thus transferring the virus from their hands. Anecdata: a friend remarked to me some time ago that he'd not caught a cold since using tissues to rub his eyes.

There was a suggestion at work (iirc -- now redundant so cannot check) that people use a clean hand/dirty system by using their non-favoured hand to open doors, press buttons and so on. The rationale was that it was hard to stop touching your face, and that the favoured hand was invariably used so keep it clean.
    It would be useful to know the balance between glasses giving protection against surface transmission by inhibiting people rubbing their eyes, as against protection against aerosol transmission by inhibiting airborne particles reaching the eyes?

Generally, when the crisis started everyone was obsessed with surfaces whereas now the science seems to point toward airborne.
    EDGC releases self-checkup kit for COVID-19 in US
    http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=296599
    CNN: the US has finally realised the damage done by keeping domestic flights running during the first wave:

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says thousands of passengers on board commercial flights may have been exposed to coronavirus since the start of 2020.

In a statement emailed to CNN, the CDC says it was made aware of 1,600 flights between January and August where a person on board may have had Covid-19, potentially exposing 10,900 people "within a 6-foot range for droplet transmission" to coronavirus.

Meanwhile I see that the town of Swastika, NY, has just voted to keep its name.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Does D. Cummings wear specs?
    Or is he blind in some way?
    IanB2 said:

That is interesting.

It would be useful to know the balance between glasses giving protection against surface transmission by inhibiting people rubbing their eyes, as against protection against aerosol transmission by inhibiting airborne particles reaching the eyes?

Generally, when the crisis started everyone was obsessed with surfaces whereas now the science seems to point toward airborne.
    It would, but how might that be demonstrated ?
    Quite a hard problem in getting enough clearly differential data, I suspect.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    I’m done being fair. This administration and its enablers have no respect for law or constitution except as tools of power; the evidence was long since overwhelming.
    Sure, I mean to be fair to Mittens, not to Trump. The Merrick Garland issue aside, if you were a consistent pro-democracy conservative you'd vote for a conservative pro-democracy justice, but not an election-theft-enabling Trumpist hack.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    Sure, I mean to be fair to Mittens, not to Trump. The Merrick Garland issue aside, if you were a consistent pro-democracy conservative you'd vote for a conservative pro-democracy justice, but not an election-theft-enabling Trumpist hack.
    No I don’t think you would do so just ahead of an election which the President has publicly committed to subverting.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    IanB2 said:

That is interesting.

The eyes are a very exposed mucous membrane surface for infection, and I would think the major source is aerosol infection rather than hands.

I have been routinely wearing my prescription aerosol resistant safety glasses at work since April. www.safetyspecs.co.uk have a great range and excellent service. When the virus goes, I will use them when cutting my hedge!

Take-up of the NHS Covid contact-tracing app being launched in England and Wales on Thursday – and once touted as key to controlling the pandemic – could be as low as 10% in some places, government sources believe.

International examples show take-up rates of similar apps at between 10% and 30%, a far cry from the NHS app target in April of 80% of smartphone users. Oxford University’s Big Data unit, which advised the government on its development, said that would be the equivalent of 56% of the population
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    Sadly, that is now an attitude on this side of the pond too.
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

That is interesting.

The eyes are a very exposed mucous membrane surface for infection, and I would think the major source is aerosol infection rather than hands.

I have been routinely wearing my prescription aerosol resistant safety glasses at work since April. www.safetyspecs.co.uk have a great range and excellent service. When the virus goes, I will use them when cutting my hedge!

Interesting; thanks.
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

That is interesting.

Interesting; thanks.
    They have a piece on droplet and aerosol transmission and glasses.

https://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/covid-19-keyworker
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    Police in Scotland have made it clear that they do not want to be bothered with alleged breaches of these regulations for anything short of a large scale house party. They have better things to do, apparently.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

alex_ said:

Especially with regard to students, are we talking about asymptomatic infection or full-blown Covid-19 and should we object to the former? Anecdote: a friend has just tested clean after three weeks of positive tests but no clinical signs; another friend's mother died last week from this plague.
    If you are having tests via the NHS you have symptoms.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Anneliese Dodds struggling to answer the Scottish Question on Sky News.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2020
    Well, there's entrepreneurial scope here:

1) A program that shows a blank face with the wherewithal for a customers to design their face mask pattern. I favour "flames" like some wide boys used to put on their souped up car bonnets.

2) A range of protective glasses. Those dentists' dark glasses that can go over one's own are quite sexy. Or it could be made to order specs with a surrounding sides with prescription lenses, or not.

Oh, wait a sec. We should all wear burkas, albeit customised.
  • @isam - see what I mean about the working class's love of a posho being somewhat less than reciprocated:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/23/durham-university-withdraws-freshers-place-over-abhorrent-online-posts
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    There is something of a difference, though.
    We are some way off our PM refusing in advance to accept the result if the election unless he wins. How anyone might think it appropriate to even consider appointing this man’s Supreme Court nominee before the election is quite beyond me.

Trump declines to commit to a peaceful transition of power after election
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/trump-peaceful-transition-of-power-420791

• Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    We are some way off our PM refusing in advance to accept the result if the election unless he wins. How anyone might think it appropriate to even consider appointing this man’s Supreme Court nominee before the election is quite beyond me.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/trump-peaceful-transition-of-power-420791

This quote from Trump is . . . bizzare.

"Get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won't be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation,” Trump said. “The ballots are out of control. You know it, and you know who knows it better than anyone else? The Democrats know it better than anyone else.”

Get rid of people voting and there won't be a transfer there will be a continuation. People voting are out of control. Yes Trump, you're not supposed to control what people do with their ballots that is the point of democracy.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

A vote for Trump is... essentially a vote for facism
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

I can't blame Trump. More likely than not when he stops being President, he will soon after, be wearing an orange jump suit.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    40 days until the US election and Biden remains 7 points ahead in the national poll averages. It makes me wonder, when is most early voting (in person or by mail) expected to happen this year? And how big will the percentages be given Covid-19 etc?

It seems to me Trump is running out of time for a swing back to him, especially once a meaningful proportion of the votes have been cast. So the debate on Tuesday is surely critical for him - the next Presidential one is 2 weeks later, by which point he'll be running out of time.
  • Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

I can't blame Trump. More likely than not when he stops being President, he will soon after, be wearing an orange jump suit.
    Or living in Moscow.
  • Hancock now blathering over whether hope exists without truth. R4.

• Hancock: "We have been working incredibly closely with Apple and Google"

Erm, only after you failed to build your own solution that didn't work with Apple devices mate. Wasting god knows how much time and money.
  • Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Which can only lead on to maskism.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Or living in Moscow.
    There is a village called Moscow not too far from Trump Turnberry so you could be right.
  • Must be a big dilemma for the BIden campaign right now. Do they focus their remaining efforts on shoring up the mid-west states, which look good-ish but may just slip to Trump if there are shenanigans? Or is it better to try to expand the map to IA, GA and TX?
  • The number of people catching and then dying of Covid at some of the worst-reputed hospitals in the country for superbugs is mysteriously on the rise.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/24/scaremongering-no-10-risks-repeating-deadly-covid-mistake/

This been fact checked? Worrying if true.

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Or living in Moscow.
    There is a village called Moscow not too far from Trump Turnberry so you could be right.
    I drove past the sign for it on my way to Kilmarnock yesterday. I wondered what the hell satnav had done to me now.
  • Must be a big dilemma for the BIden campaign right now. Do they focus their remaining efforts on shoring up the mid-west states, which look good-ish but may just slip to Trump if there are shenanigans? Or is it better to try to expand the map to IA, GA and TX?

Former I reckon.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    DavidL said:

The US election system has been not fit for purpose for a long time. Gerrymandering, restrictions on polling stations in black areas, very suspect machine voting, utterly chaotic postal votes which seem to drift in more than a week late, pathetic counting which drifts on for weeks, I could go on all day. It was inevitable that someone would eventually be explicit about challenging this. Hopefully it is a wake up call for Americans to take their democracy a bit more seriously.

Good morning everyone. Was raining here earlier, but cleared up nicely now.

I think, Mr L, that citizens of the US seem largely in denial about the faults in their system. Although I see that somewhere in New England AV is being introduced.
    May be progress; may be a blind alley, of course!

Hancock: "We have been working incredibly closely with Apple and Google"

Erm, only after you failed to build your own solution that didn't work with Apple devices mate. Wasting god knows how much time and money.

There is more joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth.........
    Or something!
  • eek said:

alex_ said:

If you are having tests via the NHS you have symptoms.
    Probably in most cases but remember the NHS also tests patients with other illnesses, which is what caught my mate (and delayed his treatment until he was clear).
  • Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Astonishing how many Americans don't actually want to live in a democracy. I'm not usually astonished by the bonkers carry on that happens in USA, but this takes it to a new level.

The 'Shining City on the Hill'?

Genuine hollow laughter.

Former I reckon.
    Saturation coverage of Pennsylvania should do it. After that it's Florida and Arizona, which would be nice but not essential as long as the mid-West States hold. On current projections Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota etc look pretty safe.

Must be a big dilemma for the BIden campaign right now. Do they focus their remaining efforts on shoring up the mid-west states, which look good-ish but may just slip to Trump if there are shenanigans? Or is it better to try to expand the map to IA, GA and TX?

Former I reckon.
    Agreed. Don’t want a repeat of Clinton’s mistakes.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited September 2020

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

I reckon that's what all this stuff is about: Get Biden to promise him immunity for prosecution in exchange for standing down the militias. Art of the deal etc etc.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    DavidL said:

The US election system has been not fit for purpose for a long time. Gerrymandering, restrictions on polling stations in black areas, very suspect machine voting, utterly chaotic postal votes which seem to drift in more than a week late, pathetic counting which drifts on for weeks, I could go on all day. It was inevitable that someone would eventually be explicit about challenging this. Hopefully it is a wake up call for Americans to take their democracy a bit more seriously.

I wholeheartedly agree that "The US election system has been not fit for purpose for a long time" but Trump's tactics are hardly "explicit about challenging this". He is attacking one legal form of voting, which as far as we can tell skews heavily to his opponents. He started this in an election year and increased the criticism as the election draws closer. These are not the actions of someone who wants to imporve the democracy system in the USA, but of someone who wants to skew the election his way.
    In words that trump would understand, he is not attempting to drain the swamp he is part of the swamp.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2020

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

"Get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won't be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation,” Trump said. “The ballots are out of control. You know it, and you know who knows it better than anyone else? The Democrats know it better than anyone else.”

Get rid of people voting and there won't be a transfer there will be a continuation. People voting are out of control. Yes Trump, you're not supposed to control what people do with their ballots that is the point of democracy.
    To be fair to Trump, it is clear he is talking about postal ballots there, and it is not unheard of for their veracity to be questioned even in this United Kingdom.

And is it that great a jump to our own government saying that it will abolish judicial reviews so it does not have to follow the law?

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

I reckon that's what all this stuff is about: Get Biden to promise him immunity for prosecution in exchange for standing down the militias. Art of the deal etc etc.
    Police at the bottom of the steps on Inauguration Day?
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

I wholeheartedly agree that "The US election system has been not fit for purpose for a long time" but Trump's tactics are hardly "explicit about challenging this". He is attacking one legal form of voting, which as far as we can tell skews heavily to his opponents. He started this in an election year and increased the criticism as the election draws closer. These are not the actions of someone who wants to imporve the democracy system in the USA, but of someone who wants to skew the election his way.
    In words that trump would understand, he is not attempting to drain the swamp he is part of the swamp.
    It would appear to be a law of physics that a swamp can only be drained into ground that is lower still?

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

To be fair to Trump, it is clear he is talking about postal ballots there, and it is not unheard of for their veracity to be questioned even in this United Kingdom.

And is it that great a jump to our own government saying that it will abolish judicial reviews so it does not have to follow the law?
    No. Sadly.
  • Hancock now blathering over whether hope exists without truth. R4.

Why is he doing 'Thought for the Day'?
  • Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

But almost no proof in the UK. You need evidence.
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

And has notably refused requests to help fund any improvements.
  • DavidL said:

Must be a big dilemma for the BIden campaign right now. Do they focus their remaining efforts on shoring up the mid-west states, which look good-ish but may just slip to Trump if there are shenanigans? Or is it better to try to expand the map to IA, GA and TX?

Former I reckon.
    Hillary's. Not Bill's. He told her to get out to wwc and rural voters in places like Wisconsin and use a new message for them specifically.

• eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

This is not binary. First shore up the Rust-Belt, and what resorces are left over cna be cahnnelled to the others. I would not include Texas in that second list though. It is unlikely to go Blue, but may well be with in a couple %. A Biden president and Texas being a toss up state will mean the Reps will have to spend a lot more on Texas next time round.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    I'm mournfully starting to believe that the tripe being paddled by the "lockdownsceptics" is, by percolating around the general population and convincing enough that covid isn't a thing, or not following restrictions magically makes it go away, or it's not actually around and all made up so that they ignore the restrictions, we'll continue having more and more of a surge so we do, in the end, find ourselves in another lockdown of some description.

It would be ironic if it wasn't so shit.

(The banging on about "It's false positives" was really illuminating as to how they can totally ignore any logic or arithmetic in favour of trumpeting a phrase they don't understand and haven't thought through:

1 - Conditional probability doesn't work like that; you can't bait and switch "random sample of entire population" with "sample of people who are symptomatic" when the latter has hugely greater positivity than the former. Of course, this bit does require understanding the use of the term and isn't instantly obvous

2 - Applying their claimed rate obviously meant that we would not only have had zero covid through much of July and August, it would actually have had to be a significant amount of negative covid (more false positives than the total of false and true positives, thus true positives need to be a negative number). I wonder how many covid-ill people landed in the UK and were instantly cured on breathing our air.

3 - The most obvious one, though - the larger the false positive number, the worse the surge in true positives had to be. If half the cases when it was 1,000 per day were false positives (500 false) and the testing rate was similar, then when it's 5,000 per day, it hasn't quintupled. It's gone up ten-fold. Choose a higher number of false positives (900 of those 1000), and it's gone up fifty-fold. Which probably screams for far harsher restrictions)

Yet they continued to bang on about it for days, obviously not actually thinking about it but clinging to it as the latest "proof" that it's all fine and an overreaction and let's please get back to normal it's all a Government conspiracy.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    App downloaded. Let's see how much battery life it destroys.

Hancock now blathering over whether hope exists without truth. R4.

It is high time that R4 put ‘Platitude for the Day‘ out to grass. Along with ‘Poetry, No Thanks’, the ‘No-one’s Listening Project’, and ‘Saturday Comatose’.
  • Nail, meet head.
  • DavidL said:

Former I reckon.
    Biden does have a fairly large lead in funding according to reports (over $100 million) so he could shore up the mid-west and force Trump to defend in the south. The $100 million Bloomburg is spending in Florida cannot be comfortable for Trump, I suspect he will have to start putting more resources into Florida as he is gone without Florida (assuming he plays fair after the election).
  • Nail, meet head.
    I dunno, I think he's punching well above his weight.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Careful now, you'll be getting people you are betting with your heart over your head and that you don't understand the noble endeavour of the American White Working Class.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836

I'm mournfully starting to believe that the tripe being paddled by the "lockdownsceptics" is, by percolating around the general population and convincing enough that covid isn't a thing, or not following restrictions magically makes it go away, or it's not actually around and all made up so that they ignore the restrictions, we'll continue having more and more of a surge so we do, in the end, find ourselves in another lockdown of some description.

(The banging on about "It's false positives" was really illuminating as to how they can totally ignore any logic or arithmetic in favour of trumpeting a phrase they don't understand and haven't thought through:

1 - Conditional probability doesn't work like that; you can't bait and switch "random sample of entire population" with "sample of people who are symptomatic" when the latter has hugely greater positivity than the former. Of course, this bit does require understanding the use of the term and isn't instantly obvous

2 - Applying their claimed rate obviously meant that we would not only have had zero covid through much of July and August, it would actually have had to be a significant amount of negative covid (more false positives than the total of false and true positives, thus true positives need to be a negative number). I wonder how many covid-ill people landed in the UK and were instantly cured on breathing our air.

3 - The most obvious one, though - the larger the false positive number, the worse the surge in true positives had to be. If half the cases when it was 1,000 per day were false positives (500 false) and the testing rate was similar, then when it's 5,000 per day, it hasn't quintupled. It's gone up ten-fold. Choose a higher number of false positives (900 of those 1000), and it's gone up fifty-fold. Which probably screams for far harsher restrictions)

Yet they continued to bang on about it for days, obviously not actually thinking about it but clinging to it as the latest "proof" that it's all fine and an overreaction and let's please get back to normal it's all a Government conspiracy.

On (3) - people are getting the wrong end of the stick on how the stats work and what it all means.

Toby Young, the latest of these.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Scottish App (based on same system) has been suprisingly modest.
  • DavidL said:

Police in Scotland have made it clear that they do not want to be bothered with alleged breaches of these regulations for anything short of a large scale house party. They have better things to do, apparently.

I can't say I disagree with that stance. I didn't like the police intimidating poor people trying to get some sun in a park, so I can't grumble if they say they'll only deal with the worst coronavirus offenders. It is those who need tackling after all.
  • Nail, meet head.
    This is one of the very rare occasions I agree with Trump

DavidL said:

Former I reckon.
    Biden does have a fairly large lead in funding according to reports (over $100 million) so he could shore up the mid-west and force Trump to defend in the south. The $100 million Bloomburg is spending in Florida cannot be comfortable for Trump, I suspect he will have to start putting more resources into Florida as he is gone without Florida (assuming he plays fair after the election).
    And, unlike the UK, where activists can easily be sent into nearby targets, in the US distance means that it’s almost entirely money that is moved about. If you have tons of money, less of an issue.
  • Nail, meet head.
    Whatever you think of his looks, 'Prince' has got to put him in the 'very eligible' category, even in this egalitarian age.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

Not insignificant so far, but not terrible. My battery needs replacing though.

• IanB2 said:

Hancock now blathering over whether hope exists without truth. R4.

It is high time that R4 put ‘Platitude for the Day‘ out to grass. Along with ‘Poetry, No Thanks’, the ‘No-one’s Listening Project’, and ‘Saturday Comatose’.
    Not to mention their 'Bad Racing Tips'.
  • Nail, meet head.
    Whatever you think of his looks, 'Prince' has got to put him in the 'very eligible' category, even in this egalitarian age.
    Probably. She's still a catch. Men like Trump just don't like women who speak out of turn.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    MaxPB said:

I think my phone is too old to support it.

I guess if he focusses on WI+PA+MI, but also AZ and that Trump-held seat in Maine, that secures him against theft by either PA (shady GOP House) or WI (shady GOP court). Add NC or FL and you're safe against both. This isn't very different from what you'd want for standard weird demographic swing insurance.

Getting TX too would be fun and decisive (especially as it doesn't do much mail voting) but if Trump can steal all the places needing smaller swings then I imagine he can steal TX as well. That said, it might be worth it for a different reason, namely that even without shenanigans, we don't really know what the impact of postal voting will be. On balance I think it's likely to favour the Dem side, but there's definitely a non-bonkers argument that a certain proportion get rejected because the voter used the wrong envelope or whatever, and that'll outweigh the gain from higher turnout and smoother GOTV.
  • Nail, meet head.
    Take a long hard look at yourself, and ask why you are agreeing with this sexist nonsense
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54275096

Covid-19: UK volunteers could be given virus to test vaccine

This is surpassingly odd. If we are comfortably beating the world in vaccine production, and not facing the problem that there's likely to be a shortage of virus in the wild to test on, why are we breaking ethical ranks like this to save ourselves a week or two? Answer presumably is that the government is even more shit scared than we thought.
  • Nail, meet head.
    Probably. She's still a catch. Men like Trump just don't like women who speak out of turn.
    I don't think you needed the last five words.
  • [OT Admin] the site is still very slow and often will not reload on Firefox, leading to long and misleading display of the message that comments are closed. Perhaps after November the site might spend some of its winnings from the Biden/Trump landslide (delete as appropriate) on a Vanilla/Wordpress consultant to work with @rcs1000 for a day or two.

Or just move that line.

It is the extra scrollbar that irritates me and the text of the replies seems to need both scrollbars as sometimes part of the first or messages are not visible depending on which scrollbar you last scrolled with.

I agree with the slowness of loading and on this version of Chrome the comments do not load at all unless the initial box with "Comments are closed" is visible on screen. If that is off-screen, loading does not start until you scroll "Comments are closed" back into view.
  • Nail, meet head.
    Take a long hard look at yourself, and ask why you are agreeing with this sexist nonsense
    Is it sexist against men to express pity for Melania Trump and wish her luck with her choice of partner (as happens frequently)? What a ridiculous accusation. It's rude certainly.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    kinabalu said:

On (3) - people are getting the wrong end of the stick on how the stats work and what it all means.

Toby Young, the latest of these.
    For me, the frustration is that my severely autistic son went through hell during the first lockdown. These denialist idiots are going to end up pushing us into a second one, aren't they?
  • We received the daily mail each day on their app mainly as my wife likes their crosswords and puzzles

I tend to flick through it but today I read it in more detail and page after page attacks Boris demanding he stops pandering to the experts and reject increasing covid measures and address the economic consequences.

In some ways the mail seems to want to lock and isolate away all of us oldies and let the disease have it's way.

I believe this is the 'herd' immunity theory but when expressed in the pages of the mail it is just repulsive and to be honest I am grateful Boris is following the science and not bowing to these idiotic right wing loons.

We experienced on this forum in the last couple of days the pain felt by Dura Ace when his 81 year old mother fell and on going to hospital for an X-ray picked up covid and dreadfully died 11 days later

Before anyone accuses me of being a Boris cheerleader I have not changed my mind that he is not the right PM for these times but he is at least trying to respect the lives of all of us

The daily mail should hang it's head in shame
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.
    I think it's always been the case. Certainly Blair, for example, trashed the constitution when it suited him, setting up a Supreme Court basically to stuff Charlie Falconer, or granting devolution only to those parts of the UK who he thought would vote Labour reliably. John Major prorogued Parliament for three weeks to delay a report into corruption. Etc., etc.

And it's happened in America too, Roosevelt's Supreme Court packing in the 1930s being an obvious precedent for what the Democrats are thinking of doing now.
    App downloaded. Somewhat surprised to see that 'Area risk level' is 'Medium'. Earlier in the week it was Low on the Gov.UK site. Two Uni's within about 20 miles, of course.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IshmaelZ said:

This is surpassingly odd. If we are comfortably beating the world in vaccine production, and not facing the problem that there's likely to be a shortage of virus in the wild to test on, why are we breaking ethical ranks like this to save ourselves a week or two? Answer presumably is that the government is even more shit scared than we thought.

No it has to be first to prove how great the UK is, no other reason.

We received the daily mail each day on their app mainly as my wife likes their crosswords and puzzles

I tend to flick through it but today I read it in more detail and page after page attacks Boris demanding he stops pandering to the experts and reject increasing covid measures and address the economic consequences.

In some ways the mail seems to want to lock and isolate away all of us oldies and let the disease have it's way.

I believe this is the 'herd' immunity theory but when expressed in the pages of the mail it is just repulsive and to be honest I am grateful Boris is following the science and not bowing to these idiotic right wing loons.

We experienced on this forum in the last couple of days the pain felt by Dura Ace when his 81 year old mother fell and on going to hospital for an X-ray picked up covid and dreadfully died 11 days later

Before anyone accuses me of being a Boris cheerleader I have not changed my mind that he is not the right PM for these times but he is at least trying to respect the lives of all of us

Strange, given the age of the people I see buying it.
  • Nail, meet head.
    I will do no such thing.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    nichomar said:

IshmaelZ said:

No it has to be first to prove how great the UK is, no other reason.
    It won't start until next year, so being first has nothing to do with it.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

We received the daily mail each day on their app mainly as my wife likes their crosswords and puzzles

Buying the mail for the crossword is like buying the Star for the football.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    IshmaelZ said:

Challenge trials are a thing, that AZ seem confident enough to use one is very positive news.
  • We received the daily mail each day on their app mainly as my wife likes their crosswords and puzzles

The Mail has always been a hate-filled rag. Glad you've seen the light.
  • Is HYUFD about? Earlier this week he was boosting a Scottish sub-sample which had the SNP on "only" 45%.
    Well, he who lives by the sub-sample, dies by the sub-sample. The IPSOS-MORI sub-sample has them on 60%!
  • Nail, meet head.
    So is the clap.
This discussion has been closed.