Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Latest COVID related polling and an excellent cartoon on Boris’s challenge – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2020 in General
Latest COVID related polling and an excellent cartoon on Boris’s challenge – politicalbetting.com

Our ?@Adamstoon1? ?@EveningStandard? pic.twitter.com/phc6PNeOH6

Read the full story here

Comments

• E pluribus unum.
  • If it works or not, it certainly looks a lot more feature rich than the thing they rushed out in the summer that was basically a webpage.

BBC News - NHS Covid-19 app: How England and Wales' contact-tracing service works
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54250736
  • Up Down!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

If it works or not, it certainly looks a lot more feature rich than the thing they rushed out in the summer that was basically a webpage.

BBC News - NHS Covid-19 app: How England and Wales' contact-tracing service works

The QR sign in thing seems very useful. Hopefully it's widely adpoted.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Assume this has been discussed? Solution to Irish border found by moving it to.... Kent.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/23/truck-queues-could-be-7000-long-when-brexit-transition-ends-ministers-warn
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

If it works or not, it certainly looks a lot more feature rich than the thing they rushed out in the summer that was basically a webpage.

It does look very good. I have it downloaded ready to go.
  • Friends in Belfast downloaded their version of the tracing app.

One person got notified that they had to isolate for 14 days, they went for a test and were negative, they still had to isolate for 14 days.

Everyone else they know has removed the app from their phones.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited September 2020
    FPT:
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Another trip out for Mrs Stodge and I to meet three friends at Surrey Quays.

A decent lunch but again the tube experience shows the inadequacy not of the rules but of the enforcement of the rules. The law-abiding are following the mask rules and I reckon that was about 90% of those we saw. The remainder (mostly young men and women) either wore the mask at half-mast or didn't have a mask at all.

[snippity]

How are the police doing in the UK at following the mask mandate themselves? In NYC, the NYPD are among the worst offenders at not wearing masks on the Subway etc.
  • rpjs said:

FPT:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Another trip out for Mrs Stodge and I to meet three friends at Surrey Quays.

A decent lunch but again the tube experience shows the inadequacy not of the rules but of the enforcement of the rules. The law-abiding are following the mask rules and I reckon that was about 90% of those we saw. The remainder (mostly young men and women) either wore the mask at half-mast or didn't have a mask at all.

[snippity]

How are the police doing in the UK at following the mask mandate themselves? In NYC, the NYPD are among the worst offenders at not wearing masks on the Subway etc.
    In Manchester there are more Metrolink staff than passengers on the trams, all wearing masks.

However, they are absolutely not stopping people from travelling without a mask (or checking tickets).

They simply do not approach any passengers, ever, presumably social distancing to protect the staff.

Probably about a third of passengers are not wearing masks.
    re: app - what are the criteria for being triggered? Simply passing by somebody? Or spending a reasonably prolonged period of time within 2m?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT

FF43 said:

Tricky for Labour in Scotland. They need independence to go away as issue so they can pick up Labour/SNP floating voters while hanging onto their federalist Unionist/Remain rump. The 20% or so British, not Scottish, voter block will stay Conservative and never go Labour anyway
    Starmer's first real tactical blunder and unnecessary

He has handed the union vote to the conservatives who will be merciless on him and labour and it hardly attracks indy voters who are all in with the SNP

Douglas Ross and Ruth Davidson's Christmases have all come at once
    https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/1308808431214755842?s=20
    To be honest I am astonished Starmer has made such a gigantic mistake on Scotland
    What is the mistake? There are a huge number of Lab-to-SNP voters.

A number of them have voted SNP since 2014 safe in the knowledge that Westminster will block a second IndyRef.

Starmer has said that if you want to block an IndyRef you cannot vote SNP.
    alex_ said:

re: app - what are the criteria for being triggered? Simply passing by somebody? Or spending a reasonably prolonged period of time within 2m?

The latter. It's described on the BBC article linked above.
  • RobD said:

alex_ said:

Why would anyone download an app that could feasibly lead to repeated enforced isolation, even if repeatedly tested negative or lead to a massive fine?

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Why would anyone download an app that could feasibly lead to repeated enforced isolation, even if repeatedly tested negative or lead to a massive fine?
    There's nothing compelling you to do anything.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Indeed

Hence the question as to why anyone would choose to do so.

RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Indeed

Because you asked why they would choose to do it if it would lead to enforced isolation. The answer is there is no enforced isolation.

RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Indeed

Doesn't the article explicitly state that it's can't lead to a fine, unless somebody applies for self-isolation linked financial assistance? Because it's anonymous.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

in Northern Ireland there is

If you have the app and are close to a positive person for enough time to trigger the alert you must self isolate for 14 days and track and trace ensure you do, or a possible fine.

Presumably the same in the rest of the UK?

So why bother ?

RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

in Northern Ireland there is

If you have the app and are close to a positive person for enough time to trigger the alert you must self isolate for 14 days and track and trace ensure you do, or a possible fine.

Presumably the same in the rest of the UK?

So why bother ?
    You aren't compelled to do anything after a notification in the app.
  • alex_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Indeed

Doesn't the article explicitly state that it's can't lead to a fine, unless somebody applies for self-isolation linked financial assistance? Because it's anonymous.
    Possibly my friend, who explained to me, does not know the full details.

But even so, if Joe Public have this understanding of the rules of the app in Belfast, it will replicate elsewhere.
  • Can the figure in Daily Mail be right? 80% of health and social services staff are furloughed or on partial leave?

Surely they have got that wrong?

If not, then no wonder the NHS is turning into the national covid service.
  • I'll show that to my son tomorrow. (Frankly, the Matt cartoon is the only reason I still get "The Telegraph".)

My son has learning difficulties and was uptight at the beginning of the week saying that he couldn't understand the new Covid regulations and found it confusing with all the changes. I tried to tell him he is not alone.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    That Evening Standard cartoon isn't very funny, and I don't mean in the normal way that their cartoons aren't funny.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    SandraMc said:

I'll show that to my son tomorrow. (Frankly, the Matt cartoon is the only reason I still get "The Telegraph".)

My son has learning difficulties and was uptight at the beginning of the week saying that he couldn't understand the new Covid regulations and found it confusing with all the changes. I tried to tell him he is not alone.
    Not the same since Boris stopped his column?

alex_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Indeed

Possibly my friend, who explained to me, does not know the full details.

But even so, if Joe Public have this understanding of the rules of the app in Belfast, it will replicate elsewhere.
    Yes, i suspect that in reality all the original arguments about the original NHS app, and how it was a massive invasion of privacy, and the current app model were basically pointless. Because whichever model of app you had, people would take negatively to it if they were a suspicious type.
  • Can the figure in Daily Mail be right? 80% of health and social services staff are furloughed or on partial leave?

Well my friend who works in that sector seems to be busier than normal so I'm guessing the Mail is spouting nonsense, do you have a link?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Well if we know who they are it should be easy enough for the police to find them, and perhaps a goverment minister might like to lean on the boards of the companies involved to fire the idiots.
  • glw said:

Well if we know who they are it should be easy enough for the police to find them, and perhaps a goverment minister might like to lean on the boards of the companies involved to fire the idiots.
    Perhaps they were out for an eye test?
  • The chap from Sainsbury's who just did our weekly delivery says its like March all over again.

Loo roll shortage in stores.
    tlg86 said:

That Evening Standard cartoon isn't very funny, and I don't mean in the normal way that their cartoons aren't funny.

Agreed. This is a deeply serious set of choices with quite deadly consequences being taken by a not particularly serious individual.
  • tlg86 said:

Surely the aim is satire rather than humour, with reference to Boris's oft-expressed preference for having his cake and eating it.
    glw said:

Personally I would favour everyone who has been self indulgent enough to enjoy foreign travel during a pandemic having to wear an electronic tag for 14 days on their return so we can tell exactly where they have been and what damage they have done.
    DavidL said:

glw said:

Personally I would favour everyone who has been self indulgent enough to enjoy foreign travel during a pandemic having to wear an electronic tag for 14 days on their return so we can tell exactly where they have been and what damage they have done.
    Just get the border guards to paint an X on your forehead in indelible ink as you head in.
  • The chap from Sainsbury's who just did our weekly delivery says its like March all over again.

Sainsbury's till staff yesterday were discussing panic buyers and stockpilers, though there were none I could see: no bare shelves and no over-filled trolleys. I wonder if a company memo has gone round.

Noticed that in Waitrose yesterday. I don't get it. I never did. Why loo rolls?!

Sainsbury's till staff yesterday were discussing panic buyers and stockpilers, though there were none I could see: no bare shelves and no over-filled trolleys. I wonder if a company memo has gone round.
    Well it appears to be happening across the country.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8763607/Asda-announces-1-000-new-Covid-marshals-make-sure-shoppers-wear-masks.html

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/23/loo-roll-rationed-to-one-pack-per-customer-in-iceland-store-13316137/

My friend who works for a major Northern supermarket says the supermarkets are well resourced and well planned, unlike the government they have been expecting a second wave and all the resultant issues that causes.
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

glw said:

Just get the border guards to paint an X on your forehead in indelible ink as you head in.
    I can see the argument but that won’t tell us where the selfish so and so’s have been.
  • OTTAWA - SPEECH FROM THE THRONE 2020

Speech by Governor General, on behalf of PM Trudeau and his govt, will begin shortly, opening Canadian Parliament

GG just inspected honour guard & taking salute. now entering Senate chamber.

https://www.cbc.ca/news
  • I said yesterday that was the major fear my father had.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

glw said:

I can see the argument but that won’t tell us where the selfish so and so’s have been.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4a7BrhlMTg
    The story of Abertay ordering hundreds of students to self isolate made the R5 Drive headlines tonight. Abertay is in Dundee and what in fact seems to have happened is that 1 (yes 1) has tested positive and everyone in his or her halls has been told to self isolate, roughly 500 students.
    I really can’t see this being taken particularly seriously by the students body.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The chap from Sainsbury's who just did our weekly delivery says its like March all over again.

Noticed that in Waitrose yesterday. I don't get it. I never did. Why loo rolls?!
    People are reassured by having Stuff, and loo rolls are the most Stuff for your £, measured by volume, you can get.

My problem is cooking oil; I buy 5 litre bottles at Tesco's, 4 at a time, as a feed additive for horses. It looks awfully hoarderish in the trolley.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited September 2020

The chap from Sainsbury's who just did our weekly delivery says its like March all over again.

It's fundamental.
  • tlg86 said:

Surely the aim is satire rather than humour, with reference to Boris's oft-expressed preference for having his cake and eating it.
    I thought it was a surprisingly even-handed cartoon for the Daily Osborne - accurately depicting the dilemma facing Boris and the rest of us.
  • DavidL said:

The story of Abertay ordering hundreds of students to self isolate made the R5 Drive headlines tonight. Abertay is in Dundee and what in fact seems to have happened is that 1 (yes 1) has tested positive and everyone in his or her halls has been told to self isolate, roughly 500 students.
    I really can’t see this being taken particularly seriously by the students body.
    From a herd immunity perspective, they should invite them to a super-spreader event first and then tell them to self-isolate.
  • IshmaelZ said:

People are reassured by having Stuff, and loo rolls are the most Stuff for your £, measured by volume, you can get.

My problem is cooking oil; I buy 5 litre bottles at Tesco's, 4 at a time, as a feed additive for horses. It looks awfully hoarderish in the trolley.
    Thank you, Ishmael.

I won't ask about the cooking oil and the horses. I fear I may not like the answer. :(
  • This is something I've noticed for a while, the Tories do like talking about Sir Keir Starmer.

https://twitter.com/ChairmanMoet/status/1308830133894209548
    I suspect by then most students in halls will have had it, mainly without symptoms, and will no longer be infectious. It’s the first trip home with the washing that’s going to be the issue.
  • Sprry, I'm too runk to reead everyth9inng.

WTF's happening??
  • DavidL said:

My son is at Dundee Uni. He has friends at Abertay. Siblings in flats in the town and at the Uni have been mixing socially with students in the Abertay halls over the last week. It will be across both Unis and in the town by now.

As for not letting students home for Christmas, good luck with that. Policing with consent will start to break down if that is tried.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8763607/Asda-announces-1-000-new-Covid-marshals-make-sure-shoppers-wear-masks.html

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/23/loo-roll-rationed-to-one-pack-per-customer-in-iceland-store-13316137/

My friend who works for a major Northern supermarket says the supermarkets are well resourced and well planned, unlike the government they have been expecting a second wave and all the resultant issues that causes.
    A mid rank supermarket manager would quite possibly outperform Dido.
  • Canadian Speech from the Throne to begin momentarily. Red Chamber two-thirds empty due to COVID restrictions.

Black Rod dispatched to summon House of Commons.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

glw said:

EITHER India, USA, Brazil, Russia, Israel, OR somewhere getting fewer new cases a day than the UK (per Worldometer). That is absolute, not per capita, and look at the population difference - not in our favour except with Israel.

So although people should obey the rules, not sure what the fuss is about.
  • twitter.com/RichardVaughan1/status/1308830306984759298?s=20

Going to uni at the moment has to be incredibly shit. Wouldn't be surprised if the drop out rates end up being very high.

It's fundamental.
    Fundamental??!!! Luxury, mate!

When I were a lad......etc etc

IshmaelZ said:

Thank you, Ishmael.

I won't ask about the cooking oil and the horses. I fear I may not like the answer. :(
    Just to put/keep weight on them. And makes their coats shiny.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738

There was no sign of panic buying when I was in Morrison’s last Saturday. Why, some people even looked askance at my second trolley.
  • Yes
  • IshmaelZ said:

Thank you, Ishmael.

Have heard about "runners" at the track, but perhaps I misunderstood?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2020
    ydoethur said:

There was no sign of panic buying when I was in Morrison’s last Saturday. Why, some people even looked askance at my second trolley.
    What papers like the Daily Mail do is find one superstore in the country where a small amount of panic buying has taken place and use that to build a story around. Totally disgraceful. All my local stores are fully stocked.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    tlg86 said:

I agree. I bow to no-one in my contempt for Boris Johnson, who is a feckless charlatan. But that cartoon doesn't reflect his character. Firstly, Johnson doesn't do choices and secondly that isn't a trade-off that any normal person would make.
  • Nigelb said:

Could it be that managers in business are shown to be more competent that managers in the Civil Service?

My father was a senior civil servant. His view is that the current lot are very poor by historic standards. He thinks that the 80's and 90's saw the best candidates go to into the City to earn money rather than work in public service. Looking at the government's performance through that lens, it could be that *any* government we had at the moment would be presiding over this sh**show because the mandarins are just not good enough. Could Cummings actually be right?

Nigelb said:

Could it be that managers in business are shown to be more competent that managers in the Civil Service?

My father was a senior civil servant. His view is that the current lot are very poor by historic standards. He thinks that the 80's and 90's saw the best candidates go to into the City to earn money rather than work in public service. Looking at the government's performance through that lens, it could be that *any* government we had at the moment would be presiding over this sh**show because the mandarins are just not good enough. Could Cummings actually be right?
    A comparison that would make sense if it wasn’t for the fact Dido Harding came from the private sector and had proven herself utterly and totally incompetent there too.

That said, when Christopher Wormald is touted as a possible head of the Civil Service, something is wrong. Man makes Dominic Cummings look positively intelligent.

Because it fulfils an essential role (no pun intended) and there are no real substitutes. You really don't want to run out of it.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729

This is something I've noticed for a while, the Tories do like talking about Sir Keir Starmer.

They're trying to make him sound posh, but his working class, one of the lads credentials are bang on - violin lessons at Private school are on every white van man's CV
  • Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

What papers like the Daily Mail do is find one superstore in the country where a small amount of panic buying has taken place and use that to build a story around. Totally disgraceful. All my local stores are fully stocked.
    Yes they had it on special offer in Sainsbury's today and the shelves were fully stocked.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Maybe we ought to ask them to form a government.
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

glw said:

EITHER India, USA, Brazil, Russia, Israel, OR somewhere getting fewer new cases a day than the UK (per Worldometer). That is absolute, not per capita, and look at the population difference - not in our favour except with Israel.

So although people should obey the rules, not sure what the fuss is about.
    Firstly they have been in high risk environments, airports, planes, etc.
    Secondly, they have been on holiday in “relaxed” circumstances. The average infection rate of the country is simply not relevant.
    Thirdly, we are spending a bloody fortune trying to track and trace sources of infection within our indigenous population. We just don’t need additional unlinked sources of infection scattered randomly across the country.
    Fourthly, arrogant pricks like this are probably a useful subset to identify when trying to trace rule breakers. They know better, apparently.
    edited September 2020
    isam said:

This is something I've noticed for a while, the Tories do like talking about Sir Keir Starmer.

They're trying to make him sound posh, but his working class, one of the lads credentials are bang on - violin lessons at Private school are on every white van man's CV
    The problem isn’t that. The problem is that you don’t want to be weaponising class when your own party leader is a thick posho transparently only there because daddy pulled the right strings.

I don’t buy Keir Starmer’s proletarian schtick, but compared to Boris Johnson or indeed Jeremy Corbyn he’s a veritable Worzel Gummidge.
  • Ottawa - small delegation of MPs now heading to Senate led by Speaker.
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A comparison that would make sense if it wasn’t for the fact Dido Harding came from the private sector and had proven herself utterly and totally incompetent there too.

That said, when Christopher Wormald is touted as a possible head of the Civil Service, something is wrong. Man makes Dominic Cummings look positively intelligent.
    Appointing people you like rarely ends well. The fact that in neither appointment was there an open process is rank stupidity in my view. It doesn't disprove my father's argument, just that the current people are panicking and want to be seen to be doing something fast rather than right. Government through Agile methodology is not what we are used to, but maybe it's the future. God help us.
    ydoethur said:

Yes, they do bang on about it morning, noon and Knight.
    They should simply refer to him as Keir. That's his Sir name.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

A very fine pun. I can’t even dub-ble down.

It's fundamental.

You clearly have NOT perused many naughty Victorian novels. Where the word "fundament" occurs with startling frequency.

Well my friend who works in that sector seems to be busier than normal so I'm guessing the Mail is spouting nonsense, do you have a link?
    It's one of the graphs in this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8764877/Rishi-Sunak-calls-autumn-Budget-prepares-new-winter-economy-plan.html

It's fundamental.

You clearly have NOT perused many naughty Victorian novels. Where the word "fundament" occurs with startling frequency.
    Out of curiosity, how do you know?

DavidL said:

My son is at Dundee Uni. He has friends at Abertay. Siblings in flats in the town and at the Uni have been mixing socially with students in the Abertay halls over the last week. It will be across both Unis and in the town by now.

As for not letting students home for Christmas, good luck with that. Policing with consent will start to break down if that is tried.

Yes quite a lot of the accommodation in the city is shared between the Universities. My son’s school is adjacent to Abertay. My nephew is moving into accommodation on Saturday. Not sure my sister will let that happen to be honest.

As I said Christmas will be too late.
  • ydoethur said:

It's fundamental.

Out of curiosity, how do you know?
    Extensive reading & literary research.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

A very fine pun. I can’t even dub-ble down.
    Pinched from Iain Banks.

But yes, I fear you have taken a Bath here.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729
    edited September 2020
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

The problem isn’t that. The problem is that you don’t want to be weaponising class when your own party leader is a thick posho transparently only there because daddy pulled the right strings.

I don’t buy Keir Starmer’s proletarian schtick, but compared to Boris Johnson or indeed Jeremy Corbyn he’s a veritable Worzel Gummidge.
    Maybe so, but Boris schtick is that he is a posho. I think that working class people are more inclined to be alright with that than a middle class, slightly woke, human rights lawyer. But maybe that's just the kind of people I know

• My friend who works for a major Northern supermarket says the supermarkets are well resourced and well planned, unlike the government they have been expecting a second wave and all the resultant issues that causes.

Maybe we ought to ask them to form a government.
    Indeed, they've also made more progress on no deal preparation than the government.

For the first part of 2021 we may have to practice juche.
    Not sure that’s what SKS said. He said they would go into the next Scottish election opposed to any such referendum. His position thereafter depends on the result.
  • DavidL said:

Not sure that’s what SKS said. He said they would go into the next Scottish election opposed to any such referendum. His position thereafter depends on the result.
    The Conservative line seems to be that any vote against the Conservatives is a vote for independence. It's a kamikaze strategy.
  • DavidL said:

I am shocked to see a Tory deliberately say something dishonest. So unlike them.

It's one of the graphs in this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8764877/Rishi-Sunak-calls-autumn-Budget-prepares-new-winter-economy-plan.html
    Thanks, sadly the graph doesn't cite any sources.
  • The tweet before says she can't understand how it has come to this.

Because we are being led by a ship of fools.
  • The tweet before says she can't understand how it has come to this.

Because we are being led by a ship of fools.
    The reason is because preparing for Brexit has been done for just over 12 months.

Under Theresa May and Phil Hammond no money for serious planning was put up and no decisions made. So now its all being done quickly, but its getting done.
  • The SKS show on BBC1.....

• isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Maybe so, but Boris schtick is that he is a posho. I think that working class people are more inclined to be alright with that than a middle class, slightly woke, human rights lawyer. But maybe that's just the kind of people I know
    Yeah a lot of working class English people like a posho. I've never seen the feeling being reciprocated much.
This discussion has been closed.