Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sporting Index have Biden on 281 Electoral College Votes in th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sporting Index have Biden on 281 Electoral College Votes in their opening spread betting markets

The Spread Betting firm SportingIndex has now got up its WH2020 markets and the early prices have Biden on 281 ECVs which is 11 above the number required.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited September 2020
    First?

Goodness, seems like it - anyway, 281 for Biden = rather too close for comfort. An honest assessment of his chances, or just a load of punters expecting something unrealistically close to 2016? I'd still be very surprised if he didn't win more comfortably.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Second, like Biden in the EC?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    If the election were today, I would buy Biden 284. But the volatility means this is too big risk.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    glw said:

For sheer, unbridled incompetence, the Johnson government is now well set to outperform even Attlee's Tanganyika groundnut scheme, previously the gold standard. They are taking us into a massive mess on 1st January, whereby 80,000 trucks a day carrying four-fifths of our food imports will be expected to comply with a bureaucratic nightmare of customs declarations using no less than ten brand-new computer systems, none of which has been tested, and - wait for it, this is the best bit - three of which are still in the design phase. Yes, you read that right: in just four months, our food supplies will depend on computer systems which don't yet exist.

Note that this is all true irrespective of whether there is a last-minute trade deal with the EU.

This really is utterly staggering, but it's not a surprise. Experts have been warning about it for many months. To have any chance of avoiding chaos, by now we should have been months into large-scale testing by the haulage industry. Instead the systems aren't yet written.

How on earth did we end up with a government - a Conservative government, for heaven's sake - so utterly out with the fairies?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-03/u-k-races-to-fix-critical-gaps-exposed-in-brexit-border-plan

What's really inexplicable is that a pandemic is the perfect excuse for a delay. Boris could even plausibly say he didn't want a delay but the pandemic made it impossible to leave just yet. It baffles me, only a tiny fringe of Brexiteers are really going to worry about us taking a bit more time given the circumstances.
    I am sure Johnson believes his own rhetoric that Brexit will set Britain free. If it's such a good thing, why delay?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2020
    Good summary from OGH, more from Sporting Index on how politics spreadbetting works here
    https://www.sportingindex.com/training-centre/politics-spread-betting

I would be tempted to sell Biden at 278 with a small stake
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    edited September 2020
    Ooh, spread betting on the election result, that’s one for those with the big boy pants on!
    I’m still not over buying Tory seats at 380 in 2017 :cry:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    EPG said:

If the election were today, I would buy Biden 284. But the volatility means this is too big risk.

But if the election were today his price would be higher than 284.

I'm in anyway - I'm long of Biden EC supremacy at 28.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    EPG said:

Agreed. There is the fear of this election being rigged Belorussian style on the back of stopping the USPS from doing its job.
    There is the fear of Biden going even more gaga.
    There is the possibility of an early vaccine giving Trump a boost.

Odds are none of these will happen and Biden will win relatively comfortably but the uncertainty is high.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    'Hearing the alarm'? Sometimes I'd give a thousand quid to be able to ignore it and go back to sleep. As for 'Not having to make lunch' - my option usually entailed trudging to a nearby garage in the driving rain to spend £7 on an M&S Meal Deal. Fuck that.
    I haven't had to worry about an alarm in 6 months.

Not that I sleep in anyway with a baby but my zone can be between 6.15-7.30am every day and I never know which. Plus I can have a leisurely breakfast and shower from 8.15-9am once I get back from the nursery.

I love that.
    Worth remembering that you are part of 20% (and shrinking), WFH full time

Surprised that the proportion of workers who are back in at least part-time is evidently as high as it already is. Also a reminder that, even back in mid-May, about half of working-age people were going into work at least some of the time (bearing in mind that this chart is described as being of adults, and about a fifth of those are retired.)

A great many of us do not have, and have never had through all of this mess, the luxury of working from home.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited September 2020
    Fpt
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a bizarre appointment. I realize he's Australian and this tinkles the ivories like nothing else for many Brexit supporters - but c'mon.
    This is my favourite Abbottism.

"No one," said Abbott, "however smart, however well-educated, however experienced … is the suppository of all wisdom."

I feel he'll fit in very well with the operation currently inserting unpleasant and ineffective medicine up the British bottom.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Liz is not having a great day...

ttps://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1301509210765692929

Complaining about more government transparency?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, spread betting on the election result, that’s one for those with the big boy pants on!

Ouch.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    What was the secret medical condition Hilary had again?

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1301505935475724290?s=19
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Complaining about more government transparency?

No complaints
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Meanwhile, today's NHS England Covid death count is 15 - although only four of these are from the last week, owing to the ongoing uselessness of public sector record keeping. One of the newly-reported deaths happened on March 27th.

Oh, and the latest English hospitals summary for the pandemic so far is also out:

Younger (under 40): 235 (0.8% of total deaths)
    Middle-aged (40-59): 2,299 (7.8%)
    Older (60+): 27,051 (91.4%)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Scott_xP said:
    Fat chance of them giving up the chauffeur driven limos
  • Options
    Mango said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch.
    That’s what happens when you get cocky and think you’re good at something which in reality is unpredictable. To make things even worse, a certain Mr Smithson was on pretty much exactly the other side of the same bet!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:

Good summary from OGH, more from Sporting Index on how politics spreadbetting works here

I'll do a fun bet with you at mid market - 281 - if you like. So we both get better than we would with SPIN.

281. I buy, you sell. 50p unit stake.

I win, you pay Mermaids. You win, I pay your chosen charity - which could be you.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I believe the PB experts (non qualified) had some strong opinions at the time. Perhaps they can chime in on this diagnosis.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    If you buy at X, the market moves in your favour and you sell at Y (Y>X), does SI return your money? Or does it keep both bets for the time being?
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

If you buy at X, the market moves in your favour and you sell at Y (Y>X), does SI return your money? Or does it keep both bets for the time being?

You get the cash.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2020
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I'll do a fun bet with you at mid market - 281 - if you like. So we both get better than we would with SPIN.

I win, you pay Mermaids. You win, I pay your chosen charity - which could be you.
    OK but with election result spreadbetting yes you do not really want to spend much, 50p or at most a few pounds is probably enough unless you have really big pockets
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

For sheer, unbridled incompetence, the Johnson government is now well set to outperform even Attlee's Tanganyika groundnut scheme, previously the gold standard. They are taking us into a massive mess on 1st January, whereby 80,000 trucks a day carrying four-fifths of our food imports will be expected to comply with a bureaucratic nightmare of customs declarations using no less than ten brand-new computer systems, none of which has been tested, and - wait for it, this is the best bit - three of which are still in the design phase. Yes, you read that right: in just four months, our food supplies will depend on computer systems which don't yet exist.

Note that this is all true irrespective of whether there is a last-minute trade deal with the EU.

This really is utterly staggering, but it's not a surprise. Experts have been warning about it for many months. To have any chance of avoiding chaos, by now we should have been months into large-scale testing by the haulage industry. Instead the systems aren't yet written.

How on earth did we end up with a government - a Conservative government, for heaven's sake - so utterly out with the fairies?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-03/u-k-races-to-fix-critical-gaps-exposed-in-brexit-border-plan

What's really inexplicable is that a pandemic is the perfect excuse for a delay. Boris could even plausibly say he didn't want a delay but the pandemic made it impossible to leave just yet. It baffles me, only a tiny fringe of Brexiteers are really going to worry about us taking a bit more time given the circumstances.
    I am sure Johnson believes his own rhetoric that Brexit will set Britain free. If it's such a good thing, why delay?
    Alternatively, he has no choice. He can't afford to be the apostate, the weakling who Betrayed Brexit By Blinking Before Barnier.

How does the proverb about riding a tiger go?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mango said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch.
    That’s what happens when you get cocky and think you’re good at something which in reality is unpredictable. To make things even worse, a certain Mr Smithson was on pretty much exactly the other side of the same bet!
    I lost on GE17 too. That hung parliament came as a huge surprise to me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Alistair said:

Dunno, remember her collapsing in front of that car though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbDZXoA78k

Wasn't a good look right before the election, this time round Trump has definitely had more episodes like that than Biden (Whose gaffes have been entirely verbal). Let's hope Joe doesn't 'overheat' any time soon.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Meanwhile, today's NHS England Covid death count is 15 - although only four of these are from the last week, owing to the ongoing uselessness of public sector record keeping. One of the newly-reported deaths happened on March 27th.

Oh, and the latest English hospitals summary for the pandemic so far is also out:

From my perspective, it would be very nice to have that 60+ number broken down a bit as that is where the shape of the curve is most interesting.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    I should know the answer to this (I'm guessing I do but have forgotten). What is to stop you voting by post and in person. Are the postal voters scored through on the register in each polling station already? If so presumably if you want to vote in person, but have a postal vote you have to take that along with you?

How does it work in the USA? I think Trump's suggestion of voting both ways to test the system (although illegal) is an inspired way to really screw up the election. Presumably it will be a nightmare to unravel and presumably it won't just be Republicans that do it. I think this is his best attempt to mess it up. He could win illegitimately or lose and have a serious complaint about the validity of the election that could take forever to resolve.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

FF43 said:

glw said:

Alternatively, he has no choice. He can't afford to be the apostate, the weakling who Betrayed Brexit By Blinking Before Barnier.

How does the proverb about riding a tiger go?
    The man who would ride anything discovers it's the tiger who does the riding?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    TimT said:

From my perspective, it would be very nice to have that 60+ number broken down a bit as that is where the shape of the curve is most interesting.
    Me too. I'm just approaching 66!
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

You get the cash, but, you have to beat the spread.

If you buy a X, you need to sell at X+Spread to break even

If Y<Spread you still lose money
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Besides which, this presupposes that terror of the Tube is the main problem here and that this can be solved by politicians doing photo-ops on it. In point of fact, you would've thought that commuting was being held back by the fact that so many people like working from home much or all of the time, that they don't want to hand their money over to TfL or shitty commuter train operators, that socially distanced offices can only handle a fraction of their former capacity, and that if everyone tried to get back on public transport again then they'd have to queue for hours and hours to do each leg of the journey, again because social distancing.

Oh, and FWIW, I reckon people being jammed in like sardines on these horrible disgusting trains was probably the single biggest source of transmission in the early phase of the pandemic, which goes a long way to explaining why London got clobbered so hard. Turning the clock back would therefore seem to be the pinnacle of stupidity.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TimT said:

Approaching 62 for me, but still thinking and feeling (except my knees) that I am in my 40s.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

OK but with election result spreadbetting yes you do not really want to spend much, 50p or at most a few pounds is probably enough unless you have really big pockets
    Right, so we're on with that. Yes, just 50p, cannot get too serious at that level.

I have rather plunged with SPIN on EC supremacy though. I think the big Biden win is being underestimated.

I think with me, because I thought Trump would lose even a year ago when things looked ostensibly rosier for him and he was a clear betting favourite, this is rather buttressing my confidence now. Of course I could be in for a shock - and with the spread bet on that would include financially!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    TimT said:

That's just for hospitalisation, right? Not for deaths?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I bought Tory seats in 2009 when they were forecast a majority. :cry:

Never again. Just not worth it. I managed to reduce my losses that time from what they could have been but still it was scary.
  • Options

First?

Goodness, seems like it - anyway, 281 for Biden = rather too close for comfort. An honest assessment of his chances, or just a load of punters expecting something unrealistically close to 2016? I'd still be very surprised if he didn't win more comfortably.

My best guess if the election were today is Biden at 324 with most of the risk on the downside for him.
  • Options

TimT said:

That's just for hospitalisation, right? Not for deaths?
    I read it as hospital-reported deaths, but I could be wrong ...
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    One problem with SI is they tend to suspend the market whenever new news comes out. There's a huge rake to pay if you want to trade out at any point too. I can't see any Biden value here above the fixed odds markets.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TimT said:

Ditto
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Wasn't a good look right before the election, this time round Trump has definitely had more episodes like that than Biden (Whose gaffes have been entirely verbal). Let's hope Joe doesn't 'overheat' any time soon.
    Come on, get your unfounded slurs right. The word I kept hearing was that she was a barely functioning alcoholic.
  • Options
    TimT said:

The breakdown is 11,242 (38% of total) for the 60-79 age group and 15,809 (53.4%) for those aged 80 and over.

I seem to recall reading elsewhere that the median age of someone dying from Covid-19 was 84 which, accounting for the fact that the bulk of non-hospital mortality will have taken place in care homes, sounds plausible. This is also approximately the same as the median age of death for the English population as a whole, according to recent ONS data (broken down as 82.7 years for men and 86.1 years for women.)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Come on, get your unfounded slurs right. The word I kept hearing was that she was a barely functioning alcoholic.
    Where exactly is the slur in my post.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

Not only that but the pandemic makes delaying even more fruitless than it ever was.

If there is going to be a disruption then getting it over and done with while we are already disrupted is entirely logical. If there's going to be issues at the border then doing it while the border is quiet is logical.

What is the purpose of delay? If there's still going to be disruption anyway what purpose does it serve to get through COVID19, get border traffic back up to normal and THEN to have the disruption? It's illogical.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Besides which, this presupposes that terror of the Tube is the main problem here and that this can be solved by politicians doing photo-ops on it. In point of fact, you would've thought that commuting was being held back by the fact that so many people like working from home much or all of the time, that they don't want to hand their money over to TfL or shitty commuter train operators, that socially distanced offices can only handle a fraction of their former capacity, and that if everyone tried to get back on public transport again then they'd have to queue for hours and hours to do each leg of the journey, again because social distancing.

Oh, and FWIW, I reckon people being jammed in like sardines on these horrible disgusting trains was probably the single biggest source of transmission in the early phase of the pandemic, which goes a long way to explaining why London got clobbered so hard. Turning the clock back would therefore seem to be the pinnacle of stupidity.
    A huge number of people in politics and media, most of whom probably live in Kensington or Islington, seem to think that people living further out enjoy the commute, and can’t wait to lose three or four hours out of their day compared to working from home.

Meanwhile, those actually working from home are quite happy to set their alarm for 8:30, and not pay out a four-figure sum every month on travel, food and drinks. Their employers are happy enough not paying a four-figure sum every month for an expensive office desk and all the infrastructure that goes around it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708

I assume these numbers are the number of total covid-related hospital admissions back to the very start?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Just googled and then went onto the Mermaids website. Interesting and no doubt vital.

Sad and indicative of the challenges people face, yet sensible that they have an actual panic button on the website.
  • Options
    Biden can't remember his lines but also can't use cue cards properly.

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1301000306625515520
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Fpt

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a bizarre appointment. I realize he's Australian and this tinkles the ivories like nothing else for many Brexit supporters - but c'mon.
    This is my favourite Abbottism.

"No one," said Abbott, "however smart, however well-educated, however experienced … is the suppository of all wisdom."

I feel he'll fit in very well with the operation currently inserting unpleasant and ineffective medicine up the British bottom.
    He sounds like an enema of the people.
    Enema of the State, surely?
  • Options
    Of course the Evening Standard has a financial incentive to get people back on the Tube. That's how they get the bulk of their readership. They're not a disinterested party here, nor are they serving their readers, they're putting themselves first. Ignore them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Hence why Pelosi wanted no debates......
  • Options

FF43 said:

glw said:

Not only that but the pandemic makes delaying even more fruitless than it ever was.

If there is going to be a disruption then getting it over and done with while we are already disrupted is entirely logical. If there's going to be issues at the border then doing it while the border is quiet is logical.

What is the purpose of delay? If there's still going to be disruption anyway what purpose does it serve to get through COVID19, get border traffic back up to normal and THEN to have the disruption? It's illogical.
    You lot are funny. I am about to have open heart surgery so while I'm in there I might as well have a liver transplant and my right leg amputated.
  • Options

Of course the Evening Standard has a financial incentive to get people back on the Tube. That's how they get the bulk of their readership. They're not a disinterested party here, nor are they serving their readers, they're putting themselves first. Ignore them.

Very good point. Some huge percentage of their print circulation is handed out at Waterloo and Paddington.
  • Options
    Galloway displaying the moral and intellectual consistency that has become his signature.

https://twitter.com/YourWullie/status/1301516015319293953?s=20
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Hey it wouldn't be a Biden campaign without a gaffe or twenty.
  • Options

"strong message here"
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

A huge number of people in politics and media, most of whom probably live in Kensington or Islington, seem to think that people living further out enjoy the commute, and can’t wait to lose three or four hours out of their day compared to working from home.

Meanwhile, those actually working from home are quite happy to set their alarm for 8:30, and not pay out a four-figure sum every month on travel, food and drinks. Their employers are happy enough not paying a four-figure sum every month for an expensive office desk and all the infrastructure that goes around it.
    Well, it all comes back round in a circle again to this supposed duty of people not inhabiting central London to waste their time and money keeping the commuter infrastructure in central London alive. As has been said time and again in recent months, asking people to go back to full-time commuting when it is no longer necessary is a bit like asking a motorist in the 1930s to go back to using a horse-drawn carriage in order to keep shit-shovellers and blacksmiths in gainful employment.

A relatively small percentage of the workforce will go back full-time. Many will end up coming in one or two days a week. Many others will wave goodbye to the drudgery altogether. And so the value of office space will decline, and businesses catering to commuters will shrink in scale and number until the survivors match the remaining demand for their services. To attempt to browbeat and cajole people into resuming redundant ways of working and living is to try to reverse time and undo progress. It is a futile endeavour.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Poor man
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Who would still be sleeping at 8:30, think I have done so about 1 day in last 10 years maximum. Up in the morning is the game and no alarms needed.
  • Options
    Oh goody, the spreads are where the real action is. I need to do some detailed research on the ECV probability distributions...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Very good point. Some huge percentage of their print circulation is handed out at Waterloo and Paddington.
    It should really be called the Home Counties Evening Standard as it's not read by people who actually live in London.
  • Options

Galloway displaying the moral and intellectual consistency that has become his signature.

You always know when Agent Pish is tweeting that unionists are bricking it about something. Carlotta's last line of defence every time.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So America, is it going to be the demented septuagenarian with the red rosette, or the demented septuagenarian with the blue rosette?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

Oh goody, the spreads are where the real action is. I need to do some detailed research on the ECV probability distributions...

Agreed. There are some very interesting opportunities in this market - especially when combined with Betfair.

I shall be doing some research and getting some money on before I share my conclusions.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Who would still be sleeping at 8:30, think I have done so about 1 day in last 10 years maximum. Up in the morning is the game and no alarms needed.
    As you get older it's harder to sleep in...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I assume these numbers are the number of total covid-related hospital admissions back to the very start?
    It's a summary of the total number of people known to have died in English hospitals with a confirmed Covid-19 positive test. NHS England publishes a weekly report with totals broken down by age group and also by gender, ethnicity, and the presence or otherwise of an underlying health condition. The most recent issue was released today.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Probably the moment the election was lost.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

You lot are funny. I am about to have open heart surgery so while I'm in there I might as well have a liver transplant and my right leg amputated.
    If you need a heart and liver transplant then they can happen simultaneously. It's very rare but combined transplants do indeed happen.
  • Options
    On topic, I think I'd buy Biden at 281.

The reason is not that I am massively confident in Biden winning the Presidency (he's favourite but only narrowly) but that, in the context of spread betting, the downside risk seems lower because there are more delegate-rich states within Biden's grasp to gain than that he risks losing.

A 5% uniform national swing towards Trump would only deprive Biden of 49 delegates Clinton won (taking him to 183), whereas a 5% swing towards him would give him an extra 161 (taking him to 393).

I'm not saying either of those results is probable, but the latter seems more likely in light of current polls and a President whose divisiveness is unlikely to go away over the next couple of months. And even if they were equally likely, it gives more upside than downside if you buy Biden.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

When your children are born it becomes much harder too.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

And a bit of botox to lift morale on discharge.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Its a great idea to let some ISIS nutter know that people at the top of our Government travel on the tube.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

If you need a heart and liver transplant then they can happen simultaneously. It's very rare but combined transplants do indeed happen.
    What about the amputation?

I mean listen to yourself.

We're about to go through an event which will cause a world of pain so let's put ourselves through two events which will cause a world of pain. Do you think we will still only get one set of world of pain?

It's like those investors who forget that just because a stock has gone down by 90% doesn't mean it can't go down by another 90%.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hey it wouldn't be a Biden campaign without a gaffe or twenty.
    Priced in - like his opponent's racism, misogyny and contempt for democratic norms.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Agreed. There are some very interesting opportunities in this market - especially when combined with Betfair.

I shall be doing some research and getting some money on before I share my conclusions.
    As well as the markets Mike shows, SPIN also has a pair of ECV handicap markets.

Win by greater than the handicap = 25 points
    Win by exactly or less than the handicap = 10 points
    Any other result = 0 points

Current prices:

Biden - 20: 11-12.5
    Biden -30: 10.5-12

It seems a bit surprising that the prices are so similar, but more research needed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Phil is trying to make sure "He didn't hide in a fridge" isn't the stupidest thing he posts today...
  • Options

Don't forget to report back.

Too late for me though - I've jumped.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

We're about to go through an event which will cause a world of pain so let's put ourselves through two events which will cause a world of pain. Do you think we will still only get one set of world of pain?

It's like those investors who forget that just because a stock has gone down by 90% doesn't mean it can't go down by another 90%.
    There’s little point arguing. They may end up being mugged by reality. The rest of us are busy preparing for it.
  • Options

I genuinely cannot believe the hill Unionist have decided to die on is advanced horoscope reading.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, it all comes back round in a circle again to this supposed duty of people not inhabiting central London to waste their time and money keeping the commuter infrastructure in central London alive. As has been said time and again in recent months, asking people to go back to full-time commuting when it is no longer necessary is a bit like asking a motorist in the 1930s to go back to using a horse-drawn carriage in order to keep shit-shovellers and blacksmiths in gainful employment.

A relatively small percentage of the workforce will go back full-time. Many will end up coming in one or two days a week. Many others will wave goodbye to the drudgery altogether. And so the value of office space will decline, and businesses catering to commuters will shrink in scale and number until the survivors match the remaining demand for their services. To attempt to browbeat and cajole people into resuming redundant ways of working and living is to try to reverse time and undo progress. It is a futile endeavour.
    Where's King Canute when you need him to educate the political class?
  • Options

A mistake by Team Trump to continually talk down Biden's ability to think on his feet, I think, as it sets him up to outperform expectations in the forthcoming debates.

If I were them, at this stage I'd be saying Biden's been part of the Washington swamp long enough to know a few oratorical tricks, but the American public can't be fooled so easily (etc).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

Listen to yourself first. What is the purpose of delaying this so called world of pain?

What you really mean is you want to cancel it. You don't want it in the first place. But you're not saying that, so you're talking of delay instead.

What advantage does delaying, not cancelling, your so called world of pain serve? How are people best served by going through not just one but two disruptions?

Be honest and say you want Brexit cancelled even though that debate is lost. Delaying is absolutely pointless. It would make the pain dragged out and worse not better.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

Second, like Biden in the EC?

Sorry for being grumpy, but does anyone else hate the 'first' 'second' nonsense? I find it teeth-grindingly awful.

Writing "first, like" etc makes it even worse!!
  • Options
    Oh and as for amputations I am not a doctor but my understanding was they're only done if necessary and if they are necessary then delaying them is not normally a good idea.

Delaying the end of transition serves no purpose whatsoever it just drags out any so called pain and makes it worse. Get on with it and get over with it already.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Anyone even considering tax hikes at this stage in the game needs their tiny head looking at.

As a surefire way to choke off aggregate demand, there is little better.

Madness that it is even being talked about.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

Listen to yourself first. What is the purpose of delaying this so called world of pain?

What you really mean is you want to cancel it. You don't want it in the first place. But you're not saying that, so you're talking of delay instead.

What advantage does delaying, not cancelling, your so called world of pain serve? How are people best served by going through not just one but two disruptions?

Be honest and say you want Brexit cancelled even though that debate is lost. Delaying is absolutely pointless. It would make the pain dragged out and worse not better.
    I don't really know how to say this without seeming to be offensive, but actuall, nope there is no way.

Philip, you are a moron.

Soz but sometimes you just have to call it as it is.

I don't want to cancel Brexit. I didn't want it in the first place but you know, democracy and all that, so we have Brexited (don't forget).

What I do think is lunacy of the first order is the absurd fixation on this date or that. Can you remember or do you know the month that we joined? No of course you don't because we were reaching a settlement which was to stand for the next several decades. It's the same thing now. This settlement will set us up for the next generation or five. But no. It has to be done by January. Why not a six or 12-month delay? What on earth is the rush?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

I genuinely cannot believe the hill Unionist have decided to die on is advanced horoscope reading.
    I predict that there will be even muddier, less defensible hills before May next year.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Yet again we are tending to the all or nothing.

The nine-to-five is dead.

The office is certainly not dead.

Blended working will become the new normal, eventually.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2020
    Odd that the ECV Supremacy spread (which is effectively just a restatement of the two total ECV markets, but with a factor of two multiplier on your unit stake) has a spread which is half as big in reality, and has a different mid-point. Weird!
  • Options

Biden has the inbuilt advantage that however bad his campaign, he will never, ever drop below California + New York + DC. So 87 is the worst he will do, even if he has a series of brain farts in the debates. Realistically, you can also add a bunch of states that he would have to be disastrously bad to lose. Spreads hold more upside than down on Biden I would suggest.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Crikey, that headline is a masterclass in mixing metaphors.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited September 2020

Scott_xP said:

Anyone even considering tax hikes at this stage in the game needs their tiny head looking at.

As a surefire way to choke off aggregate demand, there is little better.

Madness that it is even being talked about.
    Not quite - an attack on pensions now may encourage spending rather than saving or at least investments in other markets...
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

When your children are born it becomes much harder too.
    If you want to talk sleep-deprived - Exhibit A, the moth trap...
This discussion has been closed.