Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Can we talk about routers again :(

Speaking of which - while I was on the phone to TalkTalk the bloke wanted to do a test and asked me how many devices were connected to wifi at that point. I said just one as far as I could see.

He said there were six! The TalkTalk box, two phones, my laptop, and two Amazon Alexas!

That's probably one reason why people complain of slow speeds. Everything's connected and we just overlook it.
  • Options
    Their lives must be fucking awful to risk a trip where it's likely they die. Has nobody considered that yet
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Nigelb said:

I am absolutely convinced that this is true...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/10/brian-blessed-flash-gordon-is-the-queens-favourite-film
    ...Brian Blessed has claimed that the Queen revealed to him that her favourite film is Flash Gordon, the 1980 sci-fi in which he stars as Prince Vultan.

Speaking about the film’s 40th anniversary to Edith Bowman on Yahoo Movies, the actor said that whenever he goes, people demand he recite his character’s catchphrase.

“Everywhere I go, they all want me to say ‘Gordon’s alive!’,” said Blessed. “The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, horses and queens, and prime ministers, they all want me to say ‘Gordon’s alive!’, it’s their favourite film.”

He continued: “The Queen, it’s her favourite film, she watches it with her grandchildren every Christmas.”

The actor then assumed the Queen’s accent, quoting her as saying: “You know, we watch Flash Gordon all the time, me and the grandchildren. And if you don’t mind, I’ve got the grandchildren here, would you mind saying ‘Gordon’s alive’?”...

A family favourite perhaps, but HMQ is so far beyond such primitive nonsense that anyone that says otherwise is off to the Tower. (So maybe it's her 'official' second favourite)

I'd guess that perhaps the 'King's speech' would find its way to being the official favourite. It's a great film too.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I could tell you about Maltese’s and how you get a honeycombed middle!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The French should pay some of the cost because they have failed to provide a decent environment for the asylum seekers they have allowed into their country. Their control of this flow of people for a supposedly civilised and modern democracy leaves a huge amount to be desired

Why else would thousands of people risk a potentially deadly voyage over a treacherous strip of water?

That's got nothing to do with us. That's a matter for France.

Our borders, our problem.
    In which case we simply dump them back in France again.
    "dump them back"

language a great tell as always.
    All we are doing is returning France's problem back to France. Its up to them to deal with the problem.

Its simply not our fault that the French are not providing a welcoming environment for the people they are sheltering.
    No - per our resident libertarian liberal leaver Mr Tyndall we are "dumping them back".

Them being people.

As for your "point" - you are being tediously facetious.
    The trouble is you are so blind and bigoted in your views that there is no point trying to use anything other than the most basic of language when discussing this.
    That's a silly comment clearly meant to deflect and obscure.

You now realize that recommending we "dump them back" when talking about people rather than garbage was not great and you are embarrassed by it.

Which is to your credit.
    Nope no embarrassment at all. If people are trying to enter the country illegally then I have no reason to be embarrassed about my language. I have a proposal to deal with this. But it would prevent you making facile political points so you are unwilling to consider it.
    You ARE embarrassed and it IS to your credit.

I've had a 180 mood swing. I'm looking for the good in you now and I have found it in your (very commendable) embarrassment about talking of asylum seekers as if they were bits of garbage.

NB: Please note the sort of people who would not be embarrassed about such language - would approve of it even - and ask yourself if you have much in common with them apart from voting Leave. I sense it will be a No. Surely hope so.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    The left: The migrants are coming here because they stand a better chance of making a life than in very tolerant and wealthy countries like France and Germany.

Also the left: Britain is institutionally racist and ethnic minorities stand no chance of getting on, because BLM and Dawn Butler, innit.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

The left: The migrants are coming here because they stand a better chance of making a life than in very tolerant and wealthy countries like France and Germany.

Also the left: Britain is institutionally racist and ethnic minorities stand no chance of getting on, because BLM and Dawn Butler, innit.

“The left” is just a bogey man you’ve created in your head as an outlet for your impotent rage.
  • Options

I think Butler is a clown, I'm also on the left.

We're all one homogenous group don't you know
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,246

Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/10/brian-blessed-flash-gordon-is-the-queens-favourite-film
    ...Brian Blessed has claimed that the Queen revealed to him that her favourite film is Flash Gordon, the 1980 sci-fi in which he stars as Prince Vultan.

Speaking about the film’s 40th anniversary to Edith Bowman on Yahoo Movies, the actor said that whenever he goes, people demand he recite his character’s catchphrase.

“Everywhere I go, they all want me to say ‘Gordon’s alive!’,” said Blessed. “The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, horses and queens, and prime ministers, they all want me to say ‘Gordon’s alive!’, it’s their favourite film.”

He continued: “The Queen, it’s her favourite film, she watches it with her grandchildren every Christmas.”

The actor then assumed the Queen’s accent, quoting her as saying: “You know, we watch Flash Gordon all the time, me and the grandchildren. And if you don’t mind, I’ve got the grandchildren here, would you mind saying ‘Gordon’s alive’?”...

This is the man who punched the Dalai Lama and told Picasso who was a rubbish artist.
    Two points -

- Given the above (Dalai Lama & Picasso) I can imagine that the Duke of E is a fan
    - The Queen must like... Queen. The film is basically a giant musical by them.
  • Options

Refugees leaving France for the UK is a UK problem that needs French help to solve. That may mean paying for it. Unfortunately, we have got ourselves into a situation where politically there is potentially a significant cost in doing this. It is not a price that a populist government with the support base our current one has is going to be willing to pay unless it can be dressed up as a victory. That will take time.

In the great scheme of things, the issue is a minor one. There is no invasion. There is during, the summer months, a flow of sorts so that overall a few thousand people may land here illegally. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but if you take a step back, it is not coronavirus, it is not getting kids back to school, it is not a potential economic crash. Grown-ups could solve it quickly.

France and the UK might share the cost, I have no idea.

But France isn't going to pay, politically they won't do it and morally I can't see why they should either.

Of course France isn't going to pay. We will have to give the French some money. And, for a populist, right wing government such as ours, therein lies the problem.

• Options

Their lives must be fucking awful to risk a trip where it's likely they die. Has nobody considered that yet

Sadly in relative terms that probably applies to about 90% of the population of the world.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Refugees leaving France for the UK is a UK problem that needs French help to solve. That may mean paying for it. Unfortunately, we have got ourselves into a situation where politically there is potentially a significant cost in doing this. It is not a price that a populist government with the support base our current one has is going to be willing to pay unless it can be dressed up as a victory. That will take time.

In the great scheme of things, the issue is a minor one. There is no invasion. There is during, the summer months, a flow of sorts so that overall a few thousand people may land here illegally. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but if you take a step back, it is not coronavirus, it is not getting kids back to school, it is not a potential economic crash. Grown-ups could solve it quickly.

But France isn't going to pay, politically they won't do it and morally I can't see why they should either.

Of course France isn't going to pay. We will have to give the French some money. And, for a populist, right wing government such as ours, therein lies the problem.

Yup. In capitalism if you want something doing, you have to pay for it.
  • Options

You don't seem to understand that paying another country to police our borders is the very essence of the independent, sovereign*, strong-minded country that Brexiters had in mind when they voted to leave in 2016.

*which we always were, obvs.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2020
    Migration is a multinational issue.

Places like Poland are striped of the productive young by the west.

Desperation spreads through the populations of many african, middle eastern and Asian nations. The loss of the innovative determined fit members of their populations is detremental.

Our mission should be to eradicate the drivers of migration and the criminality profiting from it.

Guilt and emotion about a few thousand crossing 22 miles ofwater is irrelevant. There are millions suffering where they came from. That is where we should focus our emotions skills, finance, guilt and energy.

The mission should be to stop migration by removing the abysmal condition endured by so much of humanity.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    Watching the video of a boat crossing the Channel, when asked the occupants said they were from Syria- most likely many are, others will have been coached. Pritti took to the Channel today “with her personal photographer” as the BBC reporter somewhat acidly observed....but no questions from reporters
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    edited August 2020
    Dance to your Daddy my little laddie
    Dance to your Daddy my little man
    Dance to your Daddy sing to your mommy

You shall have a Rishi on a little dishy*
    You shall have a Rishi when the boat comes in
    You shall have a Big Mac on a little dishy
    You shall have a Big Mac when the boat comes in

Come here me little Jacky
    Now aw've smoked mi backy**
    Have a bit o' cracky***
    Till the boat comes in

Dance to your Daddy sing to your mammy
    You shall have a curry on a little dishy
    You shall have a curry when the boat comes in

Dance to your Daddy my little laddie
    Dance to your Daddy sing to your mommy

You shall have a nandos on a little dishy
    You shall have a nandos when the boat comes in

* (Monday to Wednesday's only, further T&Cs apply)
    ** Please note backy causes cancer even if it protects you from Covid
    *** the government does not endorse the use of crack cocaine under any circumstances.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Doesn't the UK Government already give money to the French in connection with this issue?

Regardless, why it would be such a big issue for them to chuck more money at the French to make the problem go away, I don't know. The priority, from a political point of view, is to stop the boats from coming, and only the French can do that. I seem to recall reading that France is asking for something like another £50m per year to tighten up security on their side of the Channel; relative to the gargantuan demands currently being made of the Treasury, that's chicken feed. Double that sum would still be cheap.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

"Likely" is a grotesque exaggeration. Anyway they aren't in a position to assess the risks which are probably downplayed to them. And we have no general obligation to rectify fucking awfulness in the lives of foreigners.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Migration is a multinational issue.

Places like Poland are striped of the productive young by the west.

Desperation spreads through the populations of many african, middle eastern and Asian nations. The loss of the innovative determined fit members of their populations is detremental.

Our mission should be to eradicate the drivers of migration and the criminality profiting from it.

Guilt and emotion about a few thousand crossing 22 miles ofwater is irrelevant. There are millions suffering where they came from. That is where we should focus our emotions skills, finance, guilt and energy.

The mission should be to stop migration by removing the abysmal condition endured by so much of humanity.

This will take centuries to achieve.

The next General Election takes place in just under four years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I see that Butler was in a BMW. That’s why it was checked. My sister was always getting grief from the police when she owned an M3.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You don't seem to understand that paying another country to police our borders is the very essence of the independent, sovereign*, strong-minded country that Brexiters had in mind when they voted to leave in 2016.

I never realised that two million heavily armed Germans sweeping through the low countries in 1940 was, in fact, France's responsibility. Because after all, it was France's responsibility to police its own border. What was going on in Germany at the time is irrelevant. It was up to France!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Nigelb said:

To be frank it is increasingly remarkable that Mr Blessed is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

Let's take the money we pay that country and give it to the NHS.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I never realised that two million heavily armed Germans sweeping through the low countries in 1940 was, in fact, France's responsibility. Because after all, it was France's responsibility to police its own border. What was going on in Germany at the time is irrelevant. It was up to France!
    I think that comparing young African gentlemen to the Nazis is somewhat rude.

From what I have sees of the young gentlemen in question their dress sense is not very Hugo Boss.
  • Options
    On topic, I am reading that a poll shows 59 per cent of likely voters do not think Joe Biden would serve out his first term as President (Rasmussen).

Can that be right? It strikes me as a massive number. Massive.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Wow that's quite a stretch! Kudos for getting that in!
  • Options
    The randomly generated adverts hosted across the banner at the top of this page are growing progressively more eccentric. Right now I'm seeing one for an Icelandic bank. In Icelandic.

I'd be fascinated to know how many Icelandic-speaking readers PB actually has...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

On topic, I am reading that a poll shows 59 per cent of likely voters do not think Joe Biden would serve out his first term as President (Rasmussen).

Yes, but if their vote is "anyone but Trump" how bothered are they by who is VP?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, but if their vote is "anyone but Trump" how bothered are they by who is VP?
    maybe, still makes the veep pick vvv important.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Wow that's quite a stretch! Kudos for getting that in!
    Fair point.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I see that Butler was in a BMW. That’s why it was checked. My sister was always getting grief from the police when she owned an M3.

Or perhaps she looks and is a little dodgy?

Who can possibly say.

Any 'normal' person getting stopped by the police would think of it as a bit of a pain. She sees it as an opportunity. I'm not black, and I do see that simply because you were and thus felt somehow second class would be the worst thing in the world.

I wonder how far Dawn Butler had to drive before she got stopped?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited August 2020

Go on then, Horse. Define "likely".

The G reports that 4000 migrants have crossed the channel this year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/09/number-migrants-crossing-channel-uk-passes-4000-this-year

How many have died? And does that meet your definition?

(I think you are exaggerating,)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I see Toby has entered the dating game. It brings to mind my mother's expression for when she met a couple who were equally obnoxious. "They make a lovely couple -they don't spoil another one"

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1292881043813470212?s=09
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Evening all :)

Glancing at the morning polls from the USA - the University of Wisconsin/YouGov polls put Biden ahead in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Arizona. Winning these four would be more than enough for the Democrats.

There's plenty of volatility in some of the State polling - last Friday, one poll put Biden eleven ahead in Michigan but today's poll has a 4-point advantage (47-43).

The only national poll is from GU Politics/Battleground and it puts Biden 13 points ahead (53-40) about which I'm more than a little cautious.

The Rasmussen Presidential approval is -3 (48-51) while GU Politics/Battlegorund has -13 (42-55). Those who think some pollsters over-sample Democrats and under-sample "shy Trump" supporters may or may not have a point - we'll see.
  • Options

Doesn't the UK Government already give money to the French in connection with this issue?

Regardless, why it would be such a big issue for them to chuck more money at the French to make the problem go away, I don't know. The priority, from a political point of view, is to stop the boats from coming, and only the French can do that. I seem to recall reading that France is asking for something like another £50m per year to tighten up security on their side of the Channel; relative to the gargantuan demands currently being made of the Treasury, that's chicken feed. Double that sum would still be cheap.

I totally agree. So you have to ask yourself why it hasn't been done. It's because Nigel Farage would play merry hell, as would the ERG. And therein likes the problem.

• Options
    Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Any 'normal' person getting stopped by the police would think of it as a bit of a pain. She sees it as an opportunity. I'm not black, and I do see that simply because you were and thus felt somehow second class would be the worst thing in the world.

Is that you, Constable Savage?

It is an undeniable fact that driving around in an expensive car in this country while being black means you get stopped. A lot. I have witnessed this on a personal level.

Driving an expensive car in a built up area is not yet a crime. Even if you are an offensive politician.
  • Options

I totally agree. So you have to ask yourself why it hasn't been done. It's because Nigel Farage would play merry hell, as would the ERG. And therein likes the problem.

If that's the reasoning then it's exceedingly foolish. Putting up with a bit of bellyaching over giving France some more money is vastly less problematic than the boats continuing to turn up and then having to deal with their occupants.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

So perhaps there were two strands of institutional police prejudice resonating here. Against black people AND against BMWs.

Viewed thus, what happened was inevitable and Butler can count herself lucky to remain a free woman.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

No.

I didn’t understand a word.
  • Options

There was a poll a while back which had a similar finding on the expectations for Trump serving out his second term.
  • Options

Nige has been on this for ages. It's the issue he sees as the best for him. He'll be delighted it's moving up the news agenda.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

So perhaps there were two strands of institutional police prejudice resonating here. Against black people AND against BMWs.

Viewed thus, what happened was inevitable and Butler can count herself lucky to remain a free woman.
    Do drug dealers favour BMW's with blacked out windows?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Ironically, the Metropolitan Police uses BMW estate cars fitted with (as is marked on the outside) ANPR. There was one by the fish and chip shop today.
  • Options

There was a poll a while back which had a similar finding on the expectations for Trump serving out his second term.
    From pricing discrepancies, the betting markets were not even convinced that both Biden and Trump will make it to August and then November.
  • Options
    Off the wall suggestion:

Take those in boats who reach our shores and send them to some of our overseas territories (the Falklands, St Helena etc). Allow them to live and work and be paid for it. Process their asylum claims there. If they don’t succeed they can return home or, if they’ve been good boys and girls and there is a need for them, stay in the territory. No locking up in camps. The opportunity to work and earn in a safe English-speaking British-owned territory. No abuse by those trafficking them or quasi-slave labour or worse in the black economy.

What are the downsides?

Over to you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

Take those in boats who reach our shores and send them to some of our overseas territories (the Falklands, St Helena etc). Allow them to live and work and be paid for it. Process their asylum claims there. If they don’t succeed they can return home or, if they’ve been good boys and girls and there is a need for them, stay in the territory. No locking up in camps. The opportunity to work and earn in a safe English-speaking British-owned territory. No abuse by those trafficking them or quasi-slave labour or worse in the black economy.

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

That's not where they want to be.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    To try to change the mood a little on this furnace of an evening (here in downtown East London).

I was musing on elections and electoral systems. Democracy isn't perfect and Churchill's observations notwithstanding, the point is it is open to abuse from those determined not to be ejected from their positions of control and power.

Lukashenko's outrageous vote-rigging in Belarus is reminiscent of Mugabe and those who claim to be "democrats" but disqualify opponents, threaten opposition supporters and stuff ballot boxes with fraudulent votes for their side while "forgetting" to count boxes for their opponents, have to be faced down whether friend or foe, ally or enemy.

That's the thing with democracy - it's founded on trust - the trust that elections can and will be conducted freely and fairly. They aren't of course - whether by direct intimidation or the advantage of money, it's regrettable too often democracy is subverted.

So, I was thinking about the proposed re-drawing of seats and the proposed overhaul of local Government. Newham has 350,000 people and in the new system would elect two or three MPs. I'd have thought a guiding principle would be to keep Parliamentary boundaries coterminous with local administrative boundaries wherever possible.

If that could be done, my proposal would be if 10% of the registered electors ask for it, a Council could call a referendum on how it wants its votes to be conducted. IF the electorate choose to have STV rather than FPTP, so be it. If Newham votes for STV, Hackney or Redbridge could still vote via FPTP.

We don't have one common electoral system for all elections now - why not empower local democracy by allowing each area to choose how it elects its representatives?

I'd also favour a much more powerful Electoral Commission with observers who would check the conduct of every election including the process by which electors are registered. We should be seeking to enfranchise not disenfranchise but we should also be cracking down on postal and proxy vote fraud.
  • Options

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

It is an undeniable fact that driving around in an expensive car in this country while being black means you get stopped. A lot. I have witnessed this on a personal level.

Driving an expensive car in a built up area is not yet a crime. Even if you are an offensive politician.
    It's an undeniable fact too that if you drive long enough you will get stopped.

I may be wrong but with the whole BLM thing in the centre stage I'd bet that Dawn Butler was just driving around. BLM, and Dawn Butler really matters!

Just a hunch. I might bet on such a hunch though.
  • Options

Foxy said:

maybe, still makes the veep pick vvv important.
    If there is a significant number of Never-Trump Republicans who will vote Biden but risk being frightened off if they think a radical VP will replace Biden after a year or so, then it might be a consideration. Will Harris, Rice, Whitmer, Duckworth or Bass frighten the horses? I doubt it, though perhaps Elizabeth Warren might.

Though on fundraising performance, it looks like Warren is the one who most enthuses the Democrat base, so it is swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,654
    CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/10/boris-johnson-hints-at-law-change-to-deport-migrants-who-cross-channel

"Home Office data shows that in 2019 there were about 36,000 asylum applications made in the UK. The vast majority arrived in the UK by other means than small boat crossings over the Channel.

The total compares with 165,615 asylum applications in Germany, 151,070 in France, 117,800 in Spain and 77,275 in Greece in the same period, according to Eurostat."

Above is the best post re the migrant "crisis" made here today.

The vast majority of asylum seekers thru the EU dont come to the UK, proportionally we are getting about a quarter compared to our big peers Germany, France and Spain. So questions of why they all come here are moot.

The vast majority of those that do come from northern France travel thru the tunnel, not boat. The road and rail journeys kill far more of the migrants than the boat journeys.

https://calaismigrantsolidarity.wordpress.com/deaths-at-the-calais-border/

Why this obsession with boats when it doesnt reflect reality?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

That's a feature, not a bug.
  • Options
    From the BBC:

An Islamic court in northern Nigeria's Kano state has sentenced a 13-year-old boy to 10 years in prison for blasphemy.

The child was accused of making uncomplimentary remarks about God.

In a separate case before the court, 22-year-old musician Yahaya Sharif-Aminu was sentenced to death by hanging after being found guilty of making derogatory remarks about Prophet Muhammad in a song.

Nigeria is one of the largest recipients of UK foreign aid.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,654
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

I may be wrong but with the whole BLM thing in the centre stage I'd bet that Dawn Butler was just driving around. BLM, and Dawn Butler really matters!

"It's an undeniable fact too that if you drive long enough you will get stopped."

The problem is "long enough" if you are black is many thousands of miles less than if you are white.

Expanding on your logic, next it will be "Its an undeniable fact that eventually we all die, so why does it matter if the wrong guy gets the death penalty."
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think so; she wasn't even driving. And the police explained their mistake and apologised.

Personally I'm surprised that Mr Starmer is allowing her to pursue this agenda, given her embarrassing habits when it comes to recognising antisemitism as an important question.

For example, Butler provided the voice over in Nov 2019 for a party advert which said "you are worthy" to 25 groups in society ... leaving out Jewish people, but including "if you wear a hijab, turban, cross". All they had to add was "yamulke" - but they didn't and Butler clearly did not insist.

Then there was the questionable online conference Butler attended during April this year.
    https://antisemitism.uk/caa-calls-on-sir-keir-starmer-to-condemn-mps-for-event-claiming-that-addressing-antisemitism-can-be-to-the-detriment-of-other-minorities/

As has been said below, an embarrassing clown. Presumably defenstration beckons in due course.

FWIW I think Mr Starmer has superior clown-defenestration skills to Bor is at this point.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Are you trolling? Even if this daft conspiracy theory held any water at all, it does not alter the question of why her car was stopped, since going on even a very long and circular drive while Black is not a crime.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

I have been advocating penal colonies for years on PB, glad to have others come round to the idea. Perhaps it is my Australian heritage, though as my Grandmother would always point out, her ancestors were not "Government men".
  • Options

From the BBC:

An Islamic court in northern Nigeria's Kano state has sentenced a 13-year-old boy to 10 years in prison for blasphemy.

In a separate case before the court, 22-year-old musician Yahaya Sharif-Aminu was sentenced to death by hanging after being found guilty of making derogatory remarks about Prophet Muhammad in a song.

Yes, you can see why some people flee across the deserts and sea looking for a place of refuge.
  • Options

For much of the world that is the case.

People born in this country are fortunate.

But that doesn't stop the 'I want, I want, I want' self-entitlement so many of us have.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    From the same thread

https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1292849686987116544

Not that that sort of revenue issue will stop MalcolmG and co supporting independency.

I have to admit I still support it, partly so that I can watch (with popcorn) from a distance.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

Too bad. They are in British territory with the opportunity to work. If they win the right to asylum or have some other valid claim they can move to Britain. If they don’t, their wishes are irrelevant and they still have a better life than they would otherwise have had.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

I have been advocating penal colonies for years on PB, glad to have others come round to the idea. Perhaps it is my Australian heritage, though as my Grandmother would always point out, her ancestors were not "Government men".
    No no no.

I have loved the problem

- Traditionally
    - Practically
    - Legally
    - Maybe even morally.

The plan

- The Royal Navy intercepts the boats as they cross the mid-channel line...
    - The Royal Navy is suffering from a recruitment shortfall.
    - Anyone who can get a small boat half way across the Channel is a good seaman.
    - Press them into service with the RN, and send them on a nice long training cruise.
    - Since they don't have right of entry into the UK, they can't go there, so will have to remain on the ship until their enlistment is up. 7 years is it?

"It was good enough for Nelson..."
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

"It's an undeniable fact too that if you drive long enough you will get stopped."

The problem is "long enough" if you are black is many thousands of miles less than if you are white.

Expanding on your logic, next it will be "Its an undeniable fact that eventually we all die, so why does it matter if the wrong guy gets the death penalty."
    You're reaching and not doing so well. I think you know this,

• Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

It got to the stage with my ex, that we jokingly included StoppedByThePolice time in journey estimates. It happened about once very 2 weeks and often ended up with a full vehicle inspection and license check.

A mint condition ML-320, brand new, since you were wondering.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

They would be able to live and work freely in a safe country with no risk of abuse while their claims are processed. Hardly a penal colony.

Call their bluff. Make it clear that Britain includes its overseas territories and since they need young fit people and these young fit people need to live while their asylum claims are dealt with, it’s pretty much a perfect match.
  • Options
    Meanwhile journalists and democracy activists are being rounded up in HK with scarcely a peep from anyone.

I will never now go to China or to HK again or use a Cathay Pacific flight and intend being as rude as possible about the vile Chinese regime. It is no more than it deserves.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Meanwhile journalists and democracy activists are being rounded up in HK with scarcely a peep from anyone.

I will never now go to China or to HK again or use a Cathay Pacific flight and intend being as rude as possible about the vile Chinese regime. It is no more than it deserves.

Never bank with HSBC either.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    Why doesn't Butler just release the full video?

https://twitter.com/MPFed/status/1292885065685491713?s=20
  • Options
    edited August 2020

But that doesn't stop the 'I want, I want, I want' self-entitlement so many of us have.
    It also doesn;t answer the question of why the migrants are so desperate when they are in the welcoming bosom of the European Union.

How did that happen??
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

It got to the stage with my ex, that we jokingly included StoppedByThePolice time in journey estimates. It happened about once very 2 weeks and often ended up with a full vehicle inspection and license check.

I completely see that black people get stopped by police far more than they might expect. I don't like that at all, but I don't like the crime figures that suggest that black people are more likely to commit crimes than whites. (Worse still the US imprisonment rates).

Nice car - don't care.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

From the BBC:

Yes, you can see why some people flee across the deserts and sea looking for a place of refuge.
    And we should be insisting that such oppressive bigotry rules out receipt of UK foreign aid.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

if it is brand new, one would hope it would be in mint condition..
  • Options

It also doesn;t answer the question of why the migrants are so desperate when they are in the welcoming bosom of the European Union.

How did that happen??
    It's to do with the Lingua Franca of the world being English.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Difficult. I get free travel insurance with them. How much would the same policy cost inc coronavirus ins..
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

No no no.

I have loved the problem

- Traditionally
    - Practically
    - Legally
    - Maybe even morally.

The plan

- Press them into service with the RN, and send them on a nice long training cruise.
    - Since they don't have right of entry into the UK, they can't go there, so will have to remain on the ship until their enlistment is up. 7 years is it?

There is a certain irony that 250 years ago people were crammed into overcrowded boats and taken into exile from Africa, and the traffickers were handsomely paid by the receivers. Now the exiles have to pay the traffickers themselves.
  • Options

How did that happen??
    It’s got more to do with most of Europe requiring ID cards and having a contributory welfare system. So it is much harder to work, find a home etc.

So give the migrants what they want but in the remaining bits of our Empire rather than on the mainland. Let’s see whether it is a safe life they want or just to get to Britain.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

I completely see that black people get stopped by police far more than they might expect. I don't like that at all, but I don't like the crime figures that suggest that black people are more likely to commit crimes than whites. (Worse still the US imprisonment rates).

Nice car - don't care.
    Stopping people on what grounds? Because they feel like it?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Cyclefree said:

How did that happen??
    It’s got more to do with most of Europe requiring ID cards and having a contributory welfare system. So it is much harder to work, find a home etc.

So give the migrants what they want but in the remaining bits of our Empire rather than on the mainland. Let’s see whether it is a safe life they want or just to get to Britain.
    It's the obvious thing to do. But perhaps some of your fellow lawyers would have a field day with human rights and suchlike.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Off the wall suggestion:

What are the downsides?

Over to you.

No no no.

I have loved the problem

- Traditionally
    - Practically
    - Legally
    - Maybe even morally.

The plan

There is a certain irony that 250 years ago people were crammed into overcrowded boats and taken into exile from Africa, and the traffickers were handsomely paid by the receivers. Now the exiles have to pay the traffickers themselves.
    Well, we could follow through, pay the traffickers and employ them to pick fruit on farms...

The rate of pay might be on the low side...
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Nice car - don't care.
    Pay attention. Just read it properly and you'll understand.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Difficult. I get free travel insurance with them. How much would the same policy cost inc coronavirus ins..
    I get that with my Nationwide Flexaccount.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

How did that happen??
    You have a point, but I still think there is strong evidence that a number of migrants are simply not treated well in the European Union, something that is highlighted by precisely nobody.

The only point of argument, it seems to me, is whether this is simply neglect on the part of Europe's governments, or whether it is deliberate policy.

Either way it is clearly happening, or those boats would not be coming, and the ill-treatment is totally ignored by a commentariat anxious to show us what a terrible mistake we have made.

I;ve sailed across the channel at night, I was in a boat piloted by an experienced skipper. In one of those rubber dinghies it would be completely terrifying.
  • Options

CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/10/boris-johnson-hints-at-law-change-to-deport-migrants-who-cross-channel

"Home Office data shows that in 2019 there were about 36,000 asylum applications made in the UK. The vast majority arrived in the UK by other means than small boat crossings over the Channel.

The total compares with 165,615 asylum applications in Germany, 151,070 in France, 117,800 in Spain and 77,275 in Greece in the same period, according to Eurostat."

The vast majority of asylum seekers thru the EU dont come to the UK, proportionally we are getting about a quarter compared to our big peers Germany, France and Spain. So questions of why they all come here are moot.

The vast majority of those that do come from northern France travel thru the tunnel, not boat. The road and rail journeys kill far more of the migrants than the boat journeys.

The same as why Fish inspires more passion than it objectively merits.

Island Nation. Our waters. Our fish in our waters. Migrants in boats breaching our shores after crossing our waters.

It's all about our waters. Affects me too. Just typing this got my blood up.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

How did that happen??

It's the obvious thing to do. But perhaps some of your fellow lawyers would have a field day with human rights and suchlike.

Responding to one of the above. It's not that easy here.

Don't forget that it is criminal for a private LL to rent a home to someone with no Right to Rent. It is an unlimited fine or up to 5 years. Not doing the check is a swingeing civil penalty.

Is employment the same?

• Options

How did that happen??
    You have a point, but I still think there is strong evidence that a number of migrants are simply not treated well in the European Union, something that is highlighted by precisely nobody.

The only point of argument, it seems to me, is whether this is simply neglect on the part of Europe's governments, or whether it is deliberate policy.

Either way it is clearly happening, or those boats would not be coming and is totally ignored by a commentariat anxious to show us what a terrible mistake we have made.

I;ve sailed across the channel at night, I was in a boat piloted by an experienced skipper. In one of those rubber dinghies it would be completely terrifying.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Nice car - don't care.
    Perhaps you should pay attention - black people are stopped for driving expensive cars. This is the universal experience of black people in the top professions.

Do you think that investment bankers, lawyers, NHS consultants etc all have a kilo of "gear" in the boot?

Strangely, non-black drivers in the same cars don't.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

How did that happen??

Either way it is clearly happening, or those boats would not be coming and is totally ignored by a commentariat anxious to show us what a terrible mistake we have made.

Clearly you failed to note the graph I posted this morning showing the UK as a poor fifth behind other EU countries that took multiples more asylum seekers than the UK so your hypothesis does not hold up,
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    kinabalu said:

CatMan said:

Island Nation. Our waters. Our fish in our waters. Migrants in boats breaching our shores after crossing our waters.

Also the visuals. Boats of foreigners landing on English beaches LOOKS like an invasion. Like D Day. Like the Norman Conquest.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Cyclefree said:

How did that happen??

https://fullfact.org/immigration/why-do-migrants-and-asylum-seekers-want-come-uk/
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01908/
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    The channel-crossers are not bona fide asylum seekers because they were entitled and required to seek asylum in the first safe haven they reached according to the Dublin convention. They are simply illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

CatMan said:

Better have a glass of water and a cold shower then.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think so; she wasn't even driving. And the police explained their mistake and apologised.

Personally I'm surprised that Mr Starmer is allowing her to pursue this agenda, given her embarrassing habits when it comes to recognising antisemitism as an important question.

For example, Butler provided the voice over in Nov 2019 for a party advert which said "you are worthy" to 25 groups in society ... leaving out Jewish people, but including "if you wear a hijab, turban, cross". All they had to add was "yamulke" - but they didn't and Butler clearly did not insist.

Then there was the questionable online conference Butler attended during April this year.
    https://antisemitism.uk/caa-calls-on-sir-keir-starmer-to-condemn-mps-for-event-claiming-that-addressing-antisemitism-can-be-to-the-detriment-of-other-minorities/

As has been said below, an embarrassing clown. Presumably defenstration beckons in due course.

FWIW I think Mr Starmer has superior clown-defenestration skills to Bor is at this point.
    A black man was driving. That's why the police did the stop. It was racist. It happens a lot. It should not. No need to dance around and deflect to other matters.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Nice car - don't care.
    Perhaps you should pay attention - black people are stopped for driving expensive cars. This is the universal experience of black people in the top professions.

Do you think that investment bankers, lawyers, NHS consultants etc all have a kilo of "gear" in the boot?

Seems you understand.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I see Toby has entered the dating game. It brings to mind my mother's expression for when she met a couple who were equally obnoxious. "They make a lovely couple -they don't spoil another one"

For someone so apparently stupid, obnoxious, cancellable, idiotic, Toby Young sure gets a lot of publicity, especially in lefty fanzines like the Guardian, and he annoyance he generates could probaby power a small town. Or a decent career as a provocateur.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

For someone so apparently stupid, obnoxious, cancellable, idiotic, Toby Young sure gets a lot of publicity, especially in lefty fanzines like the Guardian, and he annoyance he generates could probaby power a small town. Or a decent career as a provocateur.
    He has known that a long time! his book "How to lose friends and alienate people" is mostly quite amusing. He discovered there is good money to be made from being a complete dickhead. Particularly in his role as an ideas man for the current government. By being arms length he can float ideas that they cannot.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Nice car - don't care.

Seems you understand.
    Perhaps you would enjoy being stooped every fortnight because the police think you look like a wrong un?

Bet you wear a loud shirt in built up areas.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The death of HK is one of the saddest things. It was a truly magical city. All the wonders of Chinese culture (and many other cultures), superb cuisine, magnificent architecture, and, crucially, that underpinning of English Common law and Anglo-Saxon freedom.

Without the law and freedom it is ruined.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Who can possibly say.

Nice car - don't care.

Seems you understand.
    Perhaps you would enjoy being stooped every fortnight because the police think you look like a wrong un?

Bet you wear a loud shirt in built up areas.
    Any other bets?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

A black man was driving. That's why the police did the stop. It was racist. It happens a lot. It should not. No need to dance around and deflect to other matters.
    Much as a count of those stopped under the PTA led to the conclusion that the British Police believed the PiRA to be 98% black.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

He has known that a long time! his book "How to lose friends and alienate people" is mostly quite amusing. He discovered there is good money to be made from being a complete dickhead. Particularly in his role as an ideas man for the current government. By being arms length he can float ideas that they cannot.
    Sure. And I know him, and I also like that book.

What amuses me is the fact his detractors don't seem to understand his shtick. Every time he does something outrageously naff or silly or rightwingy like this, they all go mad, and he gets more attention, and the BBC book him for another lucrative commentary position.

The delicate trick is to go as far as you can without going full Kate Hopkins or Milo, where your social media is cancelled and your career is over.

This discussion has been closed.