Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris edging down in the Dem VP betting with Susan Ric

Comments

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,695

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I knew the job retention was terribly targeted, but I didn't expect businesses to turn down free money. Embarrassing for Rishi.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53465971

Why is it embarrassing? Its a sign of a government business partnership working well for me. Rightmove makes sense given their very low number of employees vs market cap but John Lewis is very strange, would have thought they needed the money and with their shops closed by the govt were absolutely the justified target of such measures.
    I think it conclusively shows that the vast majority of the money is going to be wasted because the scheme is poorly designed.

But I suppose the other way of looking at it is that a slightly smaller amount of money is about to be wasted than we previously thought.

It's embarrassing because he's made a big play about saying how he is going to spend to keep employment down, and he's now come up with something that is going to cost billions and isn't going to make a difference.
    Fair enough, I wouldnt have chosen this particular scheme either. But its neither as bad as you make out nor as good as others claim.

If you judge it on the one off will employers keep someone on because of £1k, then it doesnt work. If you look at it as a form of pumping £5-9bn into the economy relatively cheaply and direct to business rather than via the banking system (where it always seems to disappear and not reach businesses), then it is ok. Jobs will be kept because companies have better balance sheets and the economy is more active not the £1k v redundancy trade off.

From an employers perspective the scheme is attractive and generous. As I and others have pointed out £1k won't be enough to save a job that isn't needed any more, but as a way of pushing cash into businesses that have been through hell it was unexpected and thoughtful.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,187
    malcolmg said:

rkrkrk said:

I knew the job retention was terribly targeted, but I didn't expect businesses to turn down free money. Embarrassing for Rishi.

Why is it embarrassing? Its a sign of a government business partnership working well for me. Rightmove makes sense given their very low number of employees vs market cap but John Lewis is very strange, would have thought they needed the money and with their shops closed by the govt were absolutely the justified target of such measures.
    Just means they do not want to tie themselves to not being able to not start redundancies before January.
    Of course they have already permanently closed 8 stores with 1300 jobs.
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/07/job-cuts-john-lewis-shuts-down-8-stores-reopens-9-lockdown/
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,237

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

John Lewis are frightened that:-

1) Taking it will annoy potential customers when companies like Primark aren't touching it.
    2) there are hidden conditions that may cause problems down the line - I'm not aware of any but you never know..
    Surely the big 'hidden' is that by taking the money firms take back the employees, and one of the big assumptions that appears to be being made is that everything will go back to where it was before. I'm quite certain that that won't be the case. For consumer-facing industries and for those which don't require group working, anyway.
    Taking the money and then laying off employees anyway is indeed the public relations disaster they are wanting to avoid.
    The flip side to this is surely it is obvious John Lewis will have a smaller workforce by the end of next year without taking a £14m grant than they would if they took the grant? If customers and employees want jobs protected surely they would approve of taking the grant?

Or can people really not make that connection between jobs retained and cash in the bank?
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,054
    kle4 said:

Happens all the time, politicians using music by people who don't like them. I get that annoys the musician and they'll say something, but it also really is no big deal.
    For politics it is a big deal. Why should a musician have to put up with a politician using his/her song, when he/she is not supportive of said politician.

Imagine If you had written a world famous song and Jeremy Corbyn/Victor Orban* was using that song for their political gain.

*delete as appicable.
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

Happens all the time, politicians using music by people who don't like them. I get that annoys the musician and they'll say something, but it also really is no big deal.
    For politics it is a big deal. Why should a musician have to put up with a politician using his/her song, when he/she is not supportive of said politician.

Imagine If you had written a world famous song and Jeremy Corbyn/Victor Orban* was using that song for their political gain.

*delete as appicable.
    Or even worse Grayling/Burgon!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,300
    So it looks like the Dutch have taken our place as the most hated nation in the EU. Very glad we're not in this summit, the PM would be there signing the UK up to £120bn in new spending for which we would get absolutely nothing in return. How much is that per week?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Good piece from Slate on Michelle Obama being the VP nominee

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/michelle-obama-for-vice-president.html
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,054

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Trump doesn’t care because it keeps the media talking about him. He’ll start choosing music by people he knows will complain about it.
    That gives him about 90% of the music industry to choose from!
    Nah 90% applied to George Bush. 99% of musicians do not want to be heard supporting Trump.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,691
    edited July 2020

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

1) Taking it will annoy potential customers when companies like Primark aren't touching it.
    2) there are hidden conditions that may cause problems down the line - I'm not aware of any but you never know..
    Surely the big 'hidden' is that by taking the money firms take back the employees, and one of the big assumptions that appears to be being made is that everything will go back to where it was before. I'm quite certain that that won't be the case. For consumer-facing industries and for those which don't require group working, anyway.
    Taking the money and then laying off employees anyway is indeed the public relations disaster they are wanting to avoid.
    The flip side to this is surely it is obvious John Lewis will have a smaller workforce by the end of next year without taking a £14m grant than they would if they took the grant? If customers and employees want jobs protected surely they would approve of taking the grant?

Or can people really not make that connection between jobs retained and cash in the bank?
    No sane company will take a one off fee in return for a continuing cost...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,427
    edited July 2020
    The Synairgen inhaled interferon trial results look very promising.
    Another treatment which might make a big difference to outcomes for hospitalised patients - and at first glance, more so than dexamethasone.

The full published results will be very interesting. But to get such a strong result from a very small trial (100 patients) suggests its efficacy is pretty unequivocal.
    MattW said:

malcolmg said:

rkrkrk said:

Just means they do not want to tie themselves to not being able to not start redundancies before January.
    Of course they have already permanently closed 8 stores with 1300 jobs.
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/07/job-cuts-john-lewis-shuts-down-8-stores-reopens-9-lockdown/
    and I suspect the fear is that Christmas will come and go, more stores will be found to be unprofitable and have to go and that scheme suddenly becomes a massive embarrassment as they collect money while another x stores and y members of staff disappear...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2020

rkrkrk said:

That's far from embarrassing for Rishi. If large businesses turn down the money because they don't need it, while small businesses take it and survive and keep on their staff because of it . . . then that is a double victory for Rishi. First win - its done what it intended to; second win - it cost even less than he'd planned.
    From my perspective it is fantastic. Free money to keep on staff we were intending to keep on A+! As a taxpayer, not so good, maybe a C- or a D+.

Now back to Susan Rice. Rice or Harris, either enhance the ticket.
    You're lucky to be in a position that you're intending to keep on your staff anyway . . . not every business is. If your position was universal there'd be no recession and no unemployment coming.

To me it seems entirely logical to do this from the taxpayers perspective. The taxpayer has funded furlough through this crisis with no guarantee that people actually go back to work afterwards . . . by tying these final payments with ensuring people are back working for a few months through the Festive Period into the New Year then it is helping to ensure we got more value for money with the original furlough.
    My point is the measure is not well targeted, although the intention is faultless.

Why not analyse these measures in detail and weigh up the costs and benefits. Some will be good, others flawed? The fact that a policy is from the pen of Johnson or Sunak doesn't automatically mean it is perfect. Conversely, neither are they always bad.
    Because we are operating in a pandemic trying to keep the economy alive while borrowing at 0% or even negative interest rates.

When we are facing a once in a century pandemic and the deepest depression in over 300 years of recorded history then value for money right now is not the top priority. Next year post-pandemic we will need to get value for money but moving fast and swiftly is more important than seeking good value right now.

Plus if we tried to do it in a much more complicated way then no doubt the added complication will make it cost much, much more per head.
    Cutting employers NI is a similar route, floated pre announcement, that has fewer costs to it than this scheme and probably more benefits. It would perhaps have attracted less press attention however.
    I would 100% support abolishing employers NI altogether but again that has the same issue you raised - greater even. Tinkering with employers NI will reduce taxes across the entire economy not specifically those employers that are most at risk due to having been shut down for much of the spring and early summer.

Like-for-like the job retention scheme will get more money per job saved to businesses that were forced to furlough than simply tinkering with NI would. But I would 100% support employers NI being cut or even abolished in the next Budget or next year's Budget.
    There are going to be several million unemployed and cutting employers NI would have helped with getting those back into work on top of saving some existing jobs - its more effective because it aids growing and new businesses as well as struggling ones.
    I think it would be less effective as it would be much less money. £1000 after 3 months of paying someone is potentially a third of their wages getting repaid . . . . whereas a similar amount spent on Employers NI might maybe knock a penny off per pound's wages.

Long term firms growing and new businesses is a absolutely a very important question but surely it is a question for the next Budget due in just a few months time, not the emergency Summer budget that was aiming to prevent job losses in the first place.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    MaxPB said:

So it looks like the Dutch have taken our place as the most hated nation in the EU. Very glad we're not in this summit, the PM would be there signing the UK up to £120bn in new spending for which we would get absolutely nothing in return. How much is that per week?

The Guardian calls it the most acrimonious EU summit of all time. How can that be, now that we are leaving?

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,144

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I think it conclusively shows that the vast majority of the money is going to be wasted because the scheme is poorly designed.

But I suppose the other way of looking at it is that a slightly smaller amount of money is about to be wasted than we previously thought.

It's embarrassing because he's made a big play about saying how he is going to spend to keep employment down, and he's now come up with something that is going to cost billions and isn't going to make a difference.
    Fair enough, I wouldnt have chosen this particular scheme either. But its neither as bad as you make out nor as good as others claim.

If you judge it on the one off will employers keep someone on because of £1k, then it doesnt work. If you look at it as a form of pumping £5-9bn into the economy relatively cheaply and direct to business rather than via the banking system (where it always seems to disappear and not reach businesses), then it is ok. Jobs will be kept because companies have better balance sheets and the economy is more active not the £1k v redundancy trade off.

If the objective is just to spend money, then sure it spends money.
    How much of that gets into the wider economy I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if many companies save it. Or some transfer it offshore to their Luxembourg subsidiaries via dubious accounting arrangements.

I'm judging it based on its stated intention, which is to retain jobs. And for £5-9 billion I think it's going to do very little job retention.
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

The £450m we will

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

No sane company will take a one off fee in return for a continuing cost...
    For the tenth time there is zero ongoing commitment or cost!

Companies run their business however you want to 31 January
    On 1 February count how many people were on furlough and are still there.
    Claim £1000 per person
    After that run their business however they want.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,701

rkrkrk said:

That's far from embarrassing for Rishi. If large businesses turn down the money because they don't need it, while small businesses take it and survive and keep on their staff because of it . . . then that is a double victory for Rishi. First win - its done what it intended to; second win - it cost even less than he'd planned.
    From my perspective it is fantastic. Free money to keep on staff we were intending to keep on A+! As a taxpayer, not so good, maybe a C- or a D+.

You're lucky to be in a position that you're intending to keep on your staff anyway . . . not every business is. If your position was universal there'd be no recession and no unemployment coming.

To me it seems entirely logical to do this from the taxpayers perspective. The taxpayer has funded furlough through this crisis with no guarantee that people actually go back to work afterwards . . . by tying these final payments with ensuring people are back working for a few months through the Festive Period into the New Year then it is helping to ensure we got more value for money with the original furlough.
    My point is the measure is not well targeted, although the intention is faultless.

Why not analyse these measures in detail and weigh up the costs and benefits. Some will be good, others flawed? The fact that a policy is from the pen of Johnson or Sunak doesn't automatically mean it is perfect. Conversely, neither are they always bad.
    Because we are operating in a pandemic trying to keep the economy alive while borrowing at 0% or even negative interest rates.

When we are facing a once in a century pandemic and the deepest depression in over 300 years of recorded history then value for money right now is not the top priority. Next year post-pandemic we will need to get value for money but moving fast and swiftly is more important than seeking good value right now.

Plus if we tried to do it in a much more complicated way then no doubt the added complication will make it cost much, much more per head.
    I am saying taxpayers money is being "spaffed" in certain instances, in a direction it is not required. I am not disputing we are up S*** Street, I am just questioning whether in its entirety this is a good use of taxpayers pounds.

MaxPB said:

The Guardian calls it the most acrimonious EU summit of all time. How can that be, now that we are leaving?

Left not leaving.

Because they no longer have their black sheep whipping boy to pin all frustrations on.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,781
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.
    ABBA reportedly got really annoyed with Theresa May for using ‘Dancing Queen’ at the Tory party conference. Amusingly, however, because Alistair Campbell tried to persuade them to publicly protest about breach of copyright, they didn’t take it further as they didn’t want to be involved in a party political dispute.

This is an interesting list:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/top-10-musicians-who-objected-to-politicians-using-their-songs-a8591351.html
    edited July 2020
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.
    If it is available to license, then really the musician has no leg to stand on.

I'm more inclined to ask why we have laws that allow grandchildren of artists to freeload off their grandparents' work for up to a century when they have not earned the money. Far bigger issue.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,143

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/michelle-obama-for-vice-president.html

'Liked' it. But I still don't think she'll do it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,492
    It looks like Biden will pick an African American woman and Rice, with lots of DC and diplomatic experience or Demings, from the key swing state of Florida, now look to be at the top of Biden's VP list if Harris has faded
    edited July 2020
    If people are going to change their behaviour permanently, as now looks very likely, they are going to spend the money they saved on coffee and trains somewhere else.

The government has to find out where, and let those industries boom.

In my case, for example, its on home improvements. After all, if youy spend more time at home why not make it a nicer environment?

This industry could go crazy if the government does, indeed, revise the planning laws.

Nigelb said:

Another treatment which might make a big difference to outcomes for hospitalised patients - and at first glance, more so than dexamethasone.

The full published results will be very interesting.

Would it be fair to say that we are close enough on both vaccines and treatment that it is very likely, 80%+, things like social distancing can be scrapped by this time next year (hopefully sooner)?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

If people are going to change their behaviour permanently, as now looks very likely, they are going to spend the money they saved on coffee and trains somewhere else.

In my case, for example, its on home improvements. After all, if youy spend more time at home why not make it a nicer environment?

This industry could go crazy if the government does, indeed, revise the planning laws.

I am not sure planning is what is stopping you re-doing your kitchen!!

MaxPB said:

Left not leaving.

Because they no longer have their black sheep whipping boy to pin all frustrations on.
    and send the bills to at the same time.

rkrkrk said:

I am saying taxpayers money is being "spaffed" in certain instances, in a direction it is not required. I am not disputing we are up S*** Street, I am just questioning whether in its entirety this is a good use of taxpayers pounds.
    It is required. We're facing potentially millions unemployed because firms that have lost their trade in the Spring and early Summer are not going to magically get that money back. Getting cash to those firms to ensure their viability is a good idea to keep the economy afloat and thus protect the tax base that pays for the economy in future years. Tying that cash to jobs protected ensures the best value for money since its not throwing more money after businesses that are failing anyway.

I am not sure planning is what is stopping you re-doing your kitchen!!
    LOL true but things like extensions, extra storeys, loft conversions, basements, landscaping etc is what I am driving at. You need permission for some of these.

MaxPB said:

Left not leaving.

Indeed, how many of those "frugal" nations would be on the other side at the moment berating the UK for bringing some realism to the table to score brownie points knowing that the UK veto would be deployed helping them achieve their own aims of reducing the scope and amount of the grants.

The UK was always cast as isolated in these meetings, now we see our position is actually a lot more popular. It's a shame those countries who are making a stand now didn't do so with us when we were in it and instead scored points by opposing us and forcing our leaders to use the veto to protect their goals.
    MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I'm more inclined to ask why we have laws that allow grandchildren of artists to freeload off their grandparents' work for up to a century when they have not earned the money. Far bigger issue.
    Do you support stronger inheritance tax generally? Or just for musicians IP?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,701

rkrkrk said:

It is required. We're facing potentially millions unemployed because firms that have lost their trade in the Spring and early Summer are not going to magically get that money back. Getting cash to those firms to ensure their viability is a good idea to keep the economy afloat and thus protect the tax base that pays for the economy in future years. Tying that cash to jobs protected ensures the best value for money since its not throwing more money after businesses that are failing anyway.
    Your right, I'm wrong. Let's leave it at that. Work to do!
    Scott_xP said:
    It is a concern.

Test and trace failures risk exponential case growth in England, official warns
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/19/test-and-trace-failures-risk-exponential-coronavirus-case-growth-in-england-official-warns
    Failures of the government’s test-and-trace system are risking an exponential growth of coronavirus in hotspots across England, a director of public health has warned.

Dominic Harrison, the director of public health in Blackburn with Darwen, said the national tracing system was only managing to reach half of those who had been in close contact with a coronavirus patient in towns with high infection rates in the north-west....

"Just to move it out of the way: Getting Michelle Obama to run for vice president is a pipe dream."

Day 6 of my ensuite being gutted and redone. OK so we booked this just before the rona, but may as well spend spare time / cash on house stuff. I don't need gadgets, I don't need a car, (I do need a new bike but no stock) - so home improvements it is. Same with my brother.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Left not leaving.

Indeed, how many of those "frugal" nations would be on the other side at the moment berating the UK for bringing some realism to the table to score brownie points knowing that the UK veto would be deployed helping them achieve their own aims of reducing the scope and amount of the grants.

The UK was always cast as isolated in these meetings, now we see our position is actually a lot more popular. It's a shame those countries who are making a stand now didn't do so with us when we were in it and instead scored points by opposing us and forcing our leaders to use the veto to protect their goals.
    There are certain countries in the European Union whose central long term foreign policy aim should have been keeping Britain inside the club.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,795

I’m not sure she thinks she’s up to the job, but she would certainly be good at the campaign.

Another article that shows the dangers of betting too heavily on something where anyone can be a candidate, and the result is the personal choice of one man.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,491
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a concern.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/19/test-and-trace-failures-risk-exponential-coronavirus-case-growth-in-england-official-warns
    Failures of the government’s test-and-trace system are risking an exponential growth of coronavirus in hotspots across England, a director of public health has warned.

Dominic Harrison, the director of public health in Blackburn with Darwen, said the national tracing system was only managing to reach half of those who had been in close contact with a coronavirus patient in towns with high infection rates in the north-west....

I've lost track. Have we completely given up on an App now? A friend of my daughter was working for the tracers in Scotland but got so bored of sitting online with nothing to do she has now taken another job.

Nigelb said:

The full published results will be very interesting.

Would it be fair to say that we are close enough on both vaccines and treatment that it is very likely, 80%+, things like social distancing can be scrapped by this time next year (hopefully sooner)?
    IMO, yes. (FWIW)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

1) I dont get it - shops closed by the government getting a tax break to help keep people working shouldnt cause any annoyance at all!
    2) very unlikely and you are not in the scheme until you claim so could have just waited
    John Lewis is also nominally a workers cooperative so the money would in theory benefit the workers -.Hard to see why they would not take it. Strange decision by their executive. Cooperatives (be they workers or consumer ones) are the acceptable face of socialism so any help shoudl be taken imo
    The PR would be terrible
    Why?

"John Lewis are retaining their staff" . . . I fail to see how that is a negative. To me any company that retains their staff that is surely a good thing.

The only companies I'd be upset about claiming the job retention bonus are those that dodged taxes pre-crisis.
    PR would be Government gives £x m to John Lewis, owner of Waitrose, despite it having £900m in the bank.

It’s not fair or accurate but since when has that bothered our press?

Dropping VAT on home improvements would be a good start, as would measures to encourage self-building and building on brownfield sites.
    MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

That would depend on the terms of the license.

And I'm not really sure where grandchildren come in to this particular issue ?
    Sandpit said:

Dropping VAT on home improvements would be a good start, as would measures to encourage self-building and building on brownfield sites.
    You mean dropping VAT on construction work/labour costs?

Day 6 of my ensuite being gutted and redone. OK so we booked this just before the rona, but may as well spend spare time / cash on house stuff. I don't need gadgets, I don't need a car, (I do need a new bike but no stock) - so home improvements it is. Same with my brother.
    I'm selling my electric bike. My balance is a bit iffy these days.

So start getting more people trained NOW. Plumbers, scaffolders, plasterers, brickies....they are going to be needed in spades.
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.
    ABBA reportedly got really annoyed with Theresa May for using ‘Dancing Queen’ at the Tory party conference. Amusingly, however, because Alistair Campbell tried to persuade them to publicly protest about breach of copyright, they didn’t take it further as they didn’t want to be involved in a party political dispute.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/top-10-musicians-who-objected-to-politicians-using-their-songs-a8591351.html
    And a perhaps over-broad copyright claim ?
    “David Cameron, stop saying that you like The Smiths, no you don’t. I forbid you to like it.”

Sandpit said:

Yes. Construction of new dwellings has no VAT, but extension or refurbishment of existing structures is subject to it. Levelling this playing field encourages extensions, loft conversions, and change-of-use conversions.

Sandpit said:

Knocking it down to 5% on the labour side of construction would make an awful lot of sense...
    Its funny, in my thirty years of cancelled, late and overcrowded carriages, frozen points, leaves on the line and persons under trains, I sometimes mused what the railways would be like if they were not effectively a transport monopoly in the south east.

would the service improve? would they start treating commuters like human being s and not cattle?

I guess we are about to find out.

Meanwhile about 100 companies are pouring billions into the race for electronic air taxis.

The commute is never coming back. Not like it was.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,601
    Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

1) I dont get it - shops closed by the government getting a tax break to help keep people working shouldnt cause any annoyance at all!
    2) very unlikely and you are not in the scheme until you claim so could have just waited
    John Lewis is also nominally a workers cooperative so the money would in theory benefit the workers -.Hard to see why they would not take it. Strange decision by their executive. Cooperatives (be they workers or consumer ones) are the acceptable face of socialism so any help shoudl be taken imo
    The PR would be terrible
    Why?

"John Lewis are retaining their staff" . . . I fail to see how that is a negative. To me any company that retains their staff that is surely a good thing.

The only companies I'd be upset about claiming the job retention bonus are those that dodged taxes pre-crisis.
    PR would be Government gives £x m to John Lewis, owner of Waitrose, despite it having £900m in the bank.

The reporting angle might not be "fair" (what that?) but if wot you wrote is true (eg. JL owns Waitrose, has money in the bank, etc), what is not accurate about it?
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Copyright on sound recordings now lasts for 70 years, so in many cases grandchildren of artists are still receiving cheques.

There’s a lobby of public domain advocates trying to make copyright terms much shorter, such as 20 years, but they’re campaigning against Disney and Sony.
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a concern.

It's maddening how disastrous it is to not tell local authorities in a timely fashion.
    This should have been sorted out long before we lifted lockdown.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,975

Credit where it's due: that's bloody insightful.
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

The PR would be terrible
    Why?

The reporting angle might not be "fair" (what that?) but if wot you wrote is true (eg. JL owns Waitrose, has money in the bank, etc), what is not accurate about it?
    It’s accurate if misleading, and John Lewis are taking the view that by by refusing the money the article can’t be written in the first place.

They figure that if they’re characterised as not ‘doing their bit’, the public will be less likely to stick with them over Amazon.
    edited July 2020
    Nigelb said:

"Just to move it out of the way: Getting Michelle Obama to run for vice president is a pipe dream."
    1. She absolutely shouldn't do it for every personal selfish reason you can think of.
    2. It's absurd that the DNC have literally no marquee candidates in the queue.
    3. If they are more humble than they were when anointing the Hillary, the DNC should beg the Obamas to do this. Your country needs you etc. How would Barak like to be Secretary of State etc?

Won't happen. Will be ManChild/ForestGump for the RNC and DodgyGreatGramps/RandomTokenMinority for the Dems. How the mighty have fallen. GWB was derided for his folksy style but as anyone who worked with him knows he was smart and considered. Clinton. Obama. Reagan. How have both main parties been reduced to this?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I dont know how this works but surely if music is supplied under licence ,as long as a user pays for it, the content owner has given up the right to say who can play it. Cannot have it both ways
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Copyright on sound recordings now lasts for 70 years, so in many cases grandchildren of artists are still receiving cheques.

There’s a lobby of public domain advocates trying to make copyright terms much shorter, such as 20 years, but they’re campaigning against Disney and Sony.
    I think 70 years but non transferable is fair. 20 years isn't fair to the artist, I know a guy who had a number one hit and nothing else. It's the bedrock of his income plus a few albums here and there and some DJ nights. If you reduced copyright to 20 years he'd be bankrupt.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,770
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

For everthing else it is life + 70 years which is even worse. Write a book at age 20 live till you are 100 and it takes 150 years to get into the public domain which defeats the whole point of copyright which was a deal between creators and the people whereby they got a monopoly for originally I believe 14 years as an incentive to create before the work became public domain.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,506
    edited July 2020
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a concern.

They'll have start testing door to door, like they did in Leicester.

It isn't really a government failure (well, not in Covid policy, anyway).

On a different topic, it is good to see that another effective treatment has been found. I thought Interferon was horrendously expensive though? Perhaps it isn't now.

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I dont know how this works but surely if music is supplied under licence ,as long as a user pays for it, the content owner has given up the right to say who can play it. Cannot have it both ways
    Just because music is available under a licence that doesn't stop the copyright owner controlling who can licence it.

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I think 70 years but non transferable is fair. 20 years isn't fair to the artist, I know a guy who had a number one hit and nothing else. It's the bedrock of his income plus a few albums here and there and some DJ nights. If you reduced copyright to 20 years he'd be bankrupt.
    Do you know Chesney Hawkes!
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Just because music is available under a licence that doesn't stop the copyright owner controlling who can licence it.

So a DJ could be ordered not to play a Beatles song because Paul McCartney doesn't like him? Sounds odd
  • My understanding on copyright is you have two forms for music.

Composition and master, the composition (lyrics, etc.) is owned by the person/people who wrote it automatically. The master can be owned by a label, or the person who created it.

Taylor Swift is currently re-recording her first five albums to get around the masters being owned by somebody else. But she owns the compositional copyright hence she is allowed to record new masters to which she will then own the copyright.
  • ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 497
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

So should other business owners be allowed to deny service selectively to people they disagree with politically?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,779
    edited July 2020
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

The PR would be terrible
    Why?

Alternative PR take - they are publicly not committing to retaining everyone till January.

I will bet that any film that fires a bunch of people, but tries to claim the money for those employees they *don't bin*, will get roasted in the press.

malcolmg said:

rkrkrk said:

They could make 99% of the people on furlough redundant this summer and still make a claim for the 1% still there in February.

Companies are not stopped from claiming the bonus if they make redundancies despite this being a widespread belief. They can choose whatever headcount suits them and then still claim per employee.
    If the government are offering this bonus (and I dont think its the best way frankly of supporting the economy or jobs) then companies (especially Not for Profit ones/cooperatives ) should take it and give it to their workers -Its not as if John Lewis dont have low paid staff (as do all retail) .- they also have a mechanism in their bonus scheme for staff to pay it easily
    Which would be negating the purpose of the scheme.

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

So should other business owners be allowed to deny service selectively to people they disagree with politically?
    Yes, surely it is up to them to decide how to maximise their revenue and any association with politics could impact that revenue.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes. Construction of new dwellings has no VAT, but extension or refurbishment of existing structures is subject to it. Levelling this playing field encourages extensions, loft conversions, and change-of-use conversions.
    We subsidise the creation of dwellings by means of zero-rating (not exemtpion).

I see the case for 5%, which is already the case for certain qualifying works to dwellings.

I think removing it from the VAT ecosystem entirely would encourage a wild west.

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

So a DJ could be ordered not to play a Beatles song because Paul McCartney doesn't like him? Sounds odd
    That has always been the case - the Beatles have always tightly control how their music is used and license, Queen and Bowie were always far more open in letting their music to be used for almost anything..
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,586
    Mr. Sandpit, one of the things (maybe the only thing, actually) that put me off the Pirate Party was the desire to slash royalty terms.

It can take a long time to write stuff, and if I get around to writing another book, and it sells well, I think it's fair expect any sales from my earlier stuff to lead to some income.

Writers earn sod all (the creative average is under $10,000 a year), and reducing the potential for income even further isn't great.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,265

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Don't you just start by asking them nicely not to play your music? That would work in most cases in order to avoid the obvious folow-up which would be to announce publicly your disapproval.

Beyond that, there is the law but it's complex, expensive and full of contradictions. Only a few serious cases would get that far, I expect.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,568
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

If you've written a hit song at 18, that takes you through with royalties to 68 which is the retirement age (I think).

70 seems a bit long.

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

The One and Only Chesney Hawkes, surely?

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

There’s no connection in this case

JLP is big enough and ugly enough to design its business how it wants. It’s not short of cash so it’s not going to restructure now, take the cash and restructure again in 1: months. That kills morale.

And the £1k doesn’t make it worth keeping jobs in the long tunic they don’t make a return.

So it says thanks but no thanks and executed on its strategic plan.
    eek said:

That has always been the case - the Beatles have always tightly control how their music is used and license, Queen and Bowie were always far more open in letting their music to be used for almost anything..

Vanilla Ice under pressure/ice ice baby riff springs to mind - not sure Queen gave permission for that though.

My mate works for a business selling and distributing DIY products.
    Revenue at 4x normal for the past month.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,579

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I imagine it is Nik Kershaw's retirement that is being supported by that song.
    edited July 2020
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

If you've written a hit song at 18, that takes you through with royalties to 68 which is the retirement age (I think).

70 seems a bit long.
    70 years still isn't long enough when you are talking about a character that say is in continual use.

Copyright length is really a battle between Disney for Mickey Mouse and co (and to a less extent Warner Brothers / DC comics with Superman / Batman) trying to retain control of their characters and Governments trying to ensure things aren't locked away for ever.

Its funny, in my thirty years of cancelled, late and overcrowded carriages, frozen points, leaves on the line and persons under trains, I sometimes mused what the railways would be like if they were not effectively a transport monopoly in the south east.

would the service improve? would they start treating commuters like human being s and not cattle?

Meanwhile about 100 companies are pouring billions into the race for electronic air taxis.

Its a long time since I had to commute into London, and after an initial month of tube/train I abandoned it for the bus. I hear your comments about cattle and its true. But whats the alternative? Many routes running 12 car trains on a very regular frequency. Can't run more trains. Can't run longer trains. What they can do is have less punters - ok so hardly any punters like now means they all need more subsidy, but at least people now have space...
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,441
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Write a jingle for a shampoo commercial - keep the rights for 70 years.
    Find a cure for cancer - keep the rights for 20 years.
    Logical?
    edited July 2020
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Vanilla Ice under pressure/ice ice baby riff springs to mind - not sure Queen gave permission for that though.
    They did, all samples have to be cleared in advance, there’s a long history of various dance records getting binned or re-recorded because samples couldn’t get cleared. I’ve got a few DJ-only vinyl ‘white label’ recordings that were never released.

More contentious is where the song isn’t directly sampled but is very similar to an existing recording, then we get Marvin Gaye’s estate sueing Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for the melody in Blurred Lines.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/10/blurred-lines-pharrell-robin-thicke-copied-marvin-gaye
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,288
    Sandpit said:

I’m not sure she thinks she’s up to the job, but she would certainly be good at the campaign.

Another article that shows the dangers of betting too heavily on something where anyone can be a candidate, and the result is the personal choice of one man.
    Indeed. The rational thing for me and many others would be to cash out now but in these corona-ridden times there is nothing on telly so at least the VP selection gives me something to look at. The wait for Biden to piss or get off the pot is frustrating though.

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

The list of one-hit-wonders is long indeed. Here's a small sample:

"Macarena" – Los del Río (1996)
    "Tainted Love" – Soft Cell (1981)
    "Come on Eileen" – Dexys Midnight Runners (1982)
    "I'm Too Sexy" – Right Said Fred (1991)
    "Mickey" – Toni Basil (1982)
    "Who Let the Dogs Out?" ...
    "Ice Ice Baby" – Vanilla Ice (1990)
    "Take On Me” - A-ha (1985)

There's a lot of overlap here with Worst Singles Ever. Come on Eileen is particularly awful. Far from getting royalties, the band should be fined for each public playing.

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Logical?

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Logical?

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Logical?
    Yeah but cure cancer and you never have to pay another restaurant bill, whereas the guy who wrote the Smash potato jingle can't go anywhere without a disguise.

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

There's a lot of overlap here with Worst Singles Ever. Come on Eileen is particularly awful. Far from getting royalties, the band should be fined for each public playing.
    A-ha definitely had more than 1 hit - they even had a Bond Theme tune (albeit for The Living Daylights)

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Logical?
    Actually it's 'worse' than that. Registering the patent has to be done quite early in the process. Consequently a pharmaceutical company gets, IIRC about half of those 20 to actually recover on it's investment.
    And before one says 'big Pharma... tough'....... as is very tempting......... a significant part of research actually produces nothing with a practical use. "Seemed like a good idea at the time' applies!
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

I was just pointing out that the two issues are completely separate.
    I oppose the recent tendency regularly to extend copyright lifetimes.
    Author’s lifetime plus ten years would be as far as I’d go (again, FWIW).
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,550

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Clive Dunn. Grandad.

Lightning in a bottle.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,776

Its a long time since I had to commute into London, and after an initial month of tube/train I abandoned it for the bus. I hear your comments about cattle and its true. But whats the alternative? Many routes running 12 car trains on a very regular frequency. Can't run more trains. Can't run longer trains. What they can do is have less punters - ok so hardly any punters like now means they all need more subsidy, but at least people now have space...
    And that's the problem with Central London. It looks great, and does great business for some, though you have to wonder who is actually harvesting the value added.

But it only works because people are willing to pay a high price in terms of long, unpleasant commutes and overpriced accommodation. And the question for what happens next is how much that willingness is real, and how much it's a treadmill that people stay on because they haven't felt able to step off.
    edited July 2020
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

A-ha definitely had more than 1 hit - they even had a Bond Theme tune (albeit for The Living Daylights)
    So did most of that list.
    Here’s a list with the definition of a number 1 hit and no other chart entries - a few singalong drunk wedding songs in there!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-hit_wonders_on_the_UK_Singles_Chart
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited July 2020
    Downing Street in ‘panic mode’ on Union as PM heads for Scotland

The Prime Minister will highlight economic support from the UK Treasury during the crisis, with his government subsidising the wages of nearly a third of Scottish workers.

Mr Johnson’s ­handling of the pandemic has cost him support, with his net approval rating on the crisis lagging 99 points behind that of First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, at -39 points to her +60.

... a Cabinet source told the Sunday Times: “Michael [Gove] is in panic mode about the Union and Boris is in 
irritated mode.”

... the Press and Journal reported that Lord McInnes, the director of the Scottish Conservative Party, will brief the Cabinet this week alongside polling guru James Kanagasooriam, who worked on the party’s 2016 Holyrood campaign...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/downing-street-panic-mode-union-pm-heads-scotland-2918068

It is this transactional Unionist thinking that is killing the Union. England can’t buy Scotland.
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Definitely.

The Sun Always Shines on TV was another hit.

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

50 years perhaps ?

70 seems a bit long.
    Logical?
    Actually it's 'worse' than that. Registering the patent has to be done quite early in the process. Consequently a pharmaceutical company gets, IIRC about half of those 20 to actually recover on it's investment.
    And before one says 'big Pharma... tough'....... as is very tempting......... a significant part of research actually produces nothing with a practical use. "Seemed like a good idea at the time' applies!
    And even worse if they’re developing a novel antibiotic. Even if it works, policy is to restrict its use as much as possible, so that it can reserves only for cases where current antibiotics no longer work.
    Which is why most pharmas have abandoned the sector completely.
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

Clive Dunn. Grandad.

Lightning in a bottle.
    I rate Almond,

OTOH Shaddap Your face - Joe Dolce......
    Scott_xP said:
    From which we can conclude that 40% of the electorate probably lack the mental soundness to vote....
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,255

MaxPB said:

Left not leaving.

Nice bit of leaver inferiority complex paranoia there Philip! Nationalism is a complex type of psychology isn't it? On the one hand there is the outward appearance of arrogant superiority and national exceptionalism, but underneath just inferiority, anguish and grievance. No wonder you have an empathy for Scottish nationalism. UKIP/Brexit Party/Populist Johnsonians are all so similar to the Nats in Scotland.

MaxPB said:

Left not leaving.

Nice bit of leaver inferiority complex paranoia there Philip! Nationalism is a complex type of psychology isn't it? On the one hand there is the outward appearance of arrogant superiority and national exceptionalism, but underneath just inferiority, anguish and grievance. No wonder you have an empathy for Scottish nationalism. UKIP/Brexit Party/Populist Johnsonians are all so similar to the Nats in Scotland.
    No clue what you're ranting about but you are definitely projecting there.

I was joking but you've clearly had a nerve touched.
  • Brexit is a disaster. Change my mind.
    edited July 2020
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

*delete as appicable.

For everthing else it is life + 70 years which is even worse. Write a book at age 20 live till you are 100 and it takes 150 years to get into the public domain which defeats the whole point of copyright which was a deal between creators and the people whereby they got a monopoly for originally I believe 14 years as an incentive to create before the work became public domain.
    The one that *really* goes up my nose is the 4% artists' tax on resales of any artwork that has already been sold once. Is it called the Artists' Resale Right?

A complete scam.
This discussion has been closed.