Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB to win most votes moves into evens on the Ladbrokes Eur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,728
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB to win most votes moves into evens on the Ladbrokes Euro elections market

My view of yesterday’s news about the breakaway anti-EU party at the Euro elections remains. Unless the official UKIP legal challenge succeeds I believe it will impact on its performance on May 22nd. The question is how much?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (FPT)

I always read the whole ballot paper before I make my mark on it. Anyone who doesn't do so really has no right to moan if they vote for the wrong party. I really can't see this making much difference - unless some of the UKIP voters get too much froth from their mouths working its way up into their eyes. ;)

Anyone with intelligence and common sense NOT ONLY reads the whole of the ballot paper before marking it, BUT ALSO specifically makes a point of finding out the names of the candidates (or, in this case, the parties) who are standing in the election BEFORE going anywhere near the polling station. They do this by looking in the newspaper, looking at the SOPN, looking at the election leaflets from the parties which they have received through their letterboxes, and so on.

As I remember it, part of the Liberal Democrats' unsuccessful challenge to the Devon result in 1994 was a sworn statement by 4,000 people saying that they had voted Literal Democrat when they had intended to vote Liberal Democrat. In other words, they were openly boasting about their own stupidity in not reading the ballot paper and arrogance in not checking the names of the candidates beforehand. Anybody who goes to the polling station in order to vote, without having checked the names of the candidates beforehand, should be extra careful and conscious of the fact that they have not yet done so.

My view then, and now, is that the democratic wishes of the 200,000 people who voted in the Devon constituency in 1994 should not be held to ransom to accommodate that utter arrogance, impertinence and stupidity of the 4,000 people who couldn't be bothered to pay attention.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

(FPT)

I always read the whole ballot paper before I make my mark on it. Anyone who doesn't do so really has no right to moan if they vote for the wrong party. I really can't see this making much difference - unless some of the UKIP voters get too much froth from their mouths working its way up into their eyes. ;)

Anyone with intelligence and common sense NOT ONLY reads the whole of the ballot paper before marking it, BUT ALSO specifically makes a point of finding out the names of the candidates (or, in this case, the parties) who are standing in the election BEFORE going anywhere near the polling station. They do this by looking in the newspaper, looking at the SOPN, looking at the election leaflets from the parties which they have received through their letterboxes, and so on.

As I remember it, part of the Liberal Democrats' unsuccessful challenge to the Devon result in 1994 was a sworn statement by 4,000 people saying that they had voted Literal Democrat when they had intended to vote Liberal Democrat. In other words, they were openly boasting about their own stupidity in not reading the ballot paper and arrogance in not checking the names of the candidates beforehand. Anybody who goes to the polling station in order to vote, without having checked the names of the candidates beforehand, should be extra careful and conscious of the fact that they have not yet done so.

My view then, and now, is that the democratic wishes of the 200,000 people who voted in the Devon constituency in 1994 should not be held to ransom to accommodate that utter arrogance, impertinence and stupidity of the 4,000 people who couldn't be bothered to pay attention.
    There is no IQ requirement before you are granted the franchise.
    It's a serious point. Perhaps the 4,000 were the dimmest of the dim. Or just people with learning difficulties. Makes no difference...

Any loophole whereby a "clever" but malicious individual can take advantage of the trust or carelessness of a segment of the electorate, for the sole purpose of misleading them or frustrating their democratic wishes should be severely deprecated, and such loophole closed.

Which it has, AFAIU.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    UKIP may seek a judicial review:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27126465
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

JohnLoony said:

It's a serious point. Perhaps the 4,000 were the dimmest of the dim. Or just people with learning difficulties. Makes no difference...

Any loophole whereby a "clever" but malicious individual can take advantage of the trust or carelessness of a segment of the electorate, for the sole purpose of misleading them or frustrating their democratic wishes should be severely deprecated, and such loophole closed.

I disagree, because it is only a small minority who are stupid enough to need to be "protected" from such dangers. The amount of protection for stupid people is not cost-free; it has to be weighed against the amount of restriction is imposed on the right of people and parties to stand under the names they choose.

If one is thinking in terms of IQ, this sort of thing is a useful filtering mechanism for getting rid of the votes of stupid people and thereby enhancing the considered view of those who are able to vote properly.

An analogy would be to reduce the speed limit to 5 mph on the grounds that some people are still killed or seriously injured by collisions and accidents which happen at 10 mph. The reason why the speed limit for driving is 30 mph, or 50 or 70 mph, is because it balances the social and economic advantages of quick travel with the dangers of accidents. Reducing it to 5 mph would save 2,000 lives per year (assuming it is properly observed and enforced) but would disrupt life and the economy far too much to be worthwhile.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When I first saw the South West England ballot paper yesterday with the breakaway group at the top my reaction was that this referred to Farage’s party which was just describing itself awkwardly. It has a record of doing this as we saw in the London elections in 2012.

It was only on closer scrutiny of the form that I saw the real UKIP at the bottom of the ballot.

That, again, emphasises my point. You had the intelligence and the common sense to read the whole of the ballot paper (which, in this case, means reading the names of all the parties) before (hypothetically) marking your vote on it. So will most normal people. Only a very small minority of booliaks won't.
  • Options
    Oops - the multiple-quote thingy seems to have squangled my comment earlier at 4:37. I can't seem to edit it at the moment. Obviously I wrote "I disagree, because..." onwards.
  • Options
    Hopefully this is what it should have been:
    JohnLoony said:

RodCrosby said:

I disagree, because it is only a small minority who are stupid enough to need to be "protected" from such dangers. The amount of protection for stupid people is not cost-free; it has to be weighed against the amount of restriction is imposed on the right of people and parties to stand under the names they choose.

If one is thinking in terms of IQ, this sort of thing is a useful filtering mechanism for getting rid of the votes of stupid people and thereby enhancing the considered view of those who are able to vote properly.

An analogy would be to reduce the speed limit to 5 mph on the grounds that some people are still killed or seriously injured by collisions and accidents which happen at 10 mph. The reason why the speed limit for driving is 30 mph, or 50 or 70 mph, is because it balances the social and economic advantages of quick travel with the dangers of accidents. Reducing it to 5 mph would save 2,000 lives per year (assuming it is properly observed and enforced) but would disrupt life and the economy far too much to be worthwhile.
  • Options
    Is it possible to apply for a postal vote and a proxy vote for the same election? My parents are going abroad on 15th May and are not sure whether any postal vote they might apply for will arrive in time.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

Maybe you could synthesize your fascist tendencies, and situate polling stations only at motorway service stations, so only the smart people who drive at 70mph can get to vote at all...?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good Morning All ....

Testing ....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is it possible to apply for a postal vote and a proxy vote for the same election? My parents are going abroad on 15th May and are not sure whether any postal vote they might apply for will arrive in time.

You can't have both, because that would be doubly tautological and duplicatory twice-ish. But there is such a thing as a postal proxy vote. If they trust you to vote on their behalf, they could apply for a proxy vote (as I did for my parents in 1994 when they were on holiday); or if you live away from their area you could get a postal proxy vote.

• Options
    No shortage of anti-EU candidates in the West Midlands:

UKIP (lead candidate = Jill Seymour)
    Eng Dem (Derek Hilling)
    BNP (Michael Coleman)
    We Demand A Referendum Now Party (Nikki Sinclair)
    An Independence From Europe (Mike Nattrass)
    no2eu (Dave Nellist)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/west-midlands-euro-candidates/
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Maybe you could synthesize your fascist tendencies, and situate polling stations only at motorway service stations, so only the smart people who drive at 70mph can get to vote at all...?

At the moment, a voter has to give their name and address to the polling station staff before they are given a ballot paper. They should also be required to recite, without referring to the ballot paper or the SOPN, the full list of candidates and parties standing in the election. Anyone who fails to do so correctly should immediately be bludgeoned to death with a four-foot-long frozen-solid armadillo.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SophyRidgeSky: More coverage of my story about UKIP aide who seemed to be ordinary voter in leaflet on Mail p.3 http://t.co/oCfZWVEKGp
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    This shouldn’t have taken UKIP by surprise. There had been reports over the past few weeks that something like this was going to happen.

Has there been wider coverage than the letters section of the Plymouth Herald?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: More coverage of my story about UKIP aide who seemed to be ordinary voter in leaflet on Mail p.3 http://t.co/oCfZWVEKGp

Her name's Lizzy Vaid:

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Devon-UKIP-voter-revealed-party-s-events-manager/story-20999035-detail/story.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all. It looks like a good morning to back UKIP for most votes.
  • Options
    Part two of my odyssey: The Hunt for the 2010 Lib Dem voters is up. This time I'm looking at what their movements might mean for Lib Dem incumbents:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.hu/2014/04/the-hunt-for-2010-lib-dems-part-2-lib_24.html
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia, Nigel Farage's father was an alcoholic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage#Background
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    Great news! SeanT's protected:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

... or he would be, if he'd been born in Cornwall rather than being a cream-tea Devonian. :-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @Danny565

[charles] Because the economic plans are aimed at the markets, not voters. Even the most popular government needs their backing if they want to borrow money

Imo, this gets to the crux of the problem with politics/"democracy" at the moment. That it doesn't matter what the public think or how they vote, their verdict can always be overridden by "the markets" or by a cosy elite of big businesses and the super-rich. I fail to see how this is any different to the unions holding the country to ransom and effectively having the power to torpedo any democratically-elected government's plans in the 70s, even if those plans had got a mandate from the public (and even I, as a leftie and certified Thatcher-hater, think the union leaders needed bringing down a peg or two).

The difference is very simple.

The unions had a specific - and admitted - objective at the time to frustrate the actions of the government (and ideally to overthrow them). They acted collectively to try to achieve this objective.

Basically "the markets" don't care what the UK government does. However, if they think it makes UK government debt less attractive then they will invest their clients' money elsewhere.

If a government truly wants to be independent of the market then it just needs to tax as much as it wants to spend. Either that or try the medieval approach of repudiating its debts.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    R4 leading with "Labour to end links with COOP Bank" - moving £1m loan to Trades Union Unity bank. Didn't get into what would happen to COOP MPs.
  • Options
    @bbckamal: Breaking: @BBCNews Labour is looking at ending its historic relationship with the Co-op Bank. Live on @BBCr4today
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbckamal: Breaking: @BBCNews Labour is looking at ending its historic relationship with the Co-op Bank. Live on @BBCr4today

They're moving their loans from the Co-op to the Unity Trust bank, which is 70% owned by the trade unions ...

It'll be interesting to see how the markets and customers of the Co-op will react to this move.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    edited April 2014
    AndyJS said:

Allegedly. However, was that before or after Nigel became, for example, a teenager!
  • Options
    @BBCr4today: Co-op “keen” to end its relationship with Labour and become a “straight forward” retail bank without political ties, says @bbckamal #r4today
  • Options
    Fraser Nelson:

Old Labour, New Danger
    If he wins the next election, Ed Miliband is set to unleash a radical Old Labour agenda

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9191671/back-to-the-future-5/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Delving into the world of the splitters leads to interesting links including this one:http://ukip-vs-eukip.com

Certainly it seems the best case against UKIP is the actions of their own MEPs.

lockquote class="Quote" rel="AndyJS">No shortage of anti-EU candidates in the West Midlands:

UKIP (lead candidate = Jill Seymour)
    Eng Dem (Derek Hilling)
    BNP (Michael Coleman)
    We Demand A Referendum Now Party (Nikki Sinclair)
    An Independence From Europe (Mike Nattrass)
    no2eu (Dave Nellist)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/west-midlands-euro-candidates/
  • Options

The Department for Work and Pensions has signalled it will take a tough line on breaking up the welfare system in the event of Scottish independence, saying that without sharing the pound it would “not be possible” to share a payments system, and it would cost up to £400m for Scotland to create its own.
    In the latest in a series of official papers making the case for Scotland remaining in the UK, the DWP stressed the benefits of pooling resources, stating that benefit spending per head of the population in Scotland was 2% higher than for the UK as a whole in 2012-13.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc623d62-cb07-11e3-ba9d-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2zmZO8fzQ
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    antifrank said:

Part two of my odyssey: The Hunt for the 2010 Lib Dem voters is up. This time I'm looking at what their movements might mean for Lib Dem incumbents

Namely the Mark Oaten school of anal-ysis

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Re: YouGov

Change mainly due to more Cons to UKIP and a good subpoll in Scotland for Labour.

On Best PM, Cameron is supported by 92% of Cons VI, Miliband by 58% of Labour VI, Clegg by 41% of LD VI, of whom 26% support Cameron and 7% Miliband; and for UKIP 30% support Cameron whilst 64% are DK - presumably as Farage is not among the choice offered.

Looking at 2010 Voters, 73% of Cons support Cameron (22% DK), 46% of Labour support Miliband (42% DK & 8% Cameron)) and of the LDs, 22% support Cameron, 18% Miliband, 15% Clegg and 45% DK.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,105
    I doubt this will help in the North http://twitpic.com/e1w9fc

Farage claiming to be the heir to Thatcher while sat in the North will definitely ensure some people come out and vote (the Labour voters).
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC – “The Labour Party is looking to sever its links with the troubled Co-op Bank, bringing to an end one of the oldest political partnerships in the UK.

The BBC has learned that Ian McNicoll, Labour's general secretary, is looking to move loans worth more than £1m to the trade union-owned Unity Trust Bank.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27137762
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,549
    Antifrank's analysis of the Lib Dem situation has been fascinating but it is based on their current polling levels. He hints that he is going to find it unlikely that Lib Dem support will recover significantly tomorrow and I look forward to reading that as well but my rather less analytical thinking is that they will recover somewhat and that they will recover most where they have incumbents.

In short I find the idea that they might lose half their seats somewhat unlikely (at least outside Scotland). This may be a failure of imagination on my part but IIRC they have been losing about 1/3 of their local councillors in each set of local elections since the Coalition was formed. Given their polling they arguably should have been doing worse but they have not been, probably because of personal loyalties etc.

At the moment I think they might lose 15-20 seats with a significant number, 6-7, in Scotland. If I am right in this the prospects for tory gains at Lib Dem expense are going to be more limited than they might hope and are unlikely to significantly offset any swing losses to Labour to any material extent.

To remain the largest party the tories have to limit the extent of the Labour swing by getting into a lead at least approaching what they had the last time (which seems a very big ask) or by deploying their vote more efficiently. This is why I find their current performance in light of UKIP so encouraging. As I mentioned yesterday if 45% of UKIP is coming from the tories and UKIP are in the 12-15% band then they should be costing the tories 5-6% pushing them back to 30% or even less.

But they are not. So they have gained some support (some Lib Dems obviously) elsewhere. The efficiency of their vote will depend on where they have lost support to UKIP and where they have gained this countervailing support. I remain optimistic that the tory vote at the next election will be more efficient than it was in 2010.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    edited April 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

Edited extra bit: Apparently Clegg's to announce he loves EU long time:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27129819

It's a 'dangerous fantasy' to leave the EU, he will claim. Odd choice of words for a chap who argued (when reneging on his manifesto promise to support a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty) that it would be better to have an In/Out referendum.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,239

The Department for Work and Pensions has signalled it will take a tough line on breaking up the welfare system in the event of Scottish independence, saying that without sharing the pound it would “not be possible” to share a payments system, and it would cost up to £400m for Scotland to create its own.
    In the latest in a series of official papers making the case for Scotland remaining in the UK, the DWP stressed the benefits of pooling resources, stating that benefit spending per head of the population in Scotland was 2% higher than for the UK as a whole in 2012-13.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc623d62-cb07-11e3-ba9d-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2zmZO8fzQ

LOL, Is that the same DWP that has wasted billions trying to put a computer system in to handle benefits payments. You could not make it up the unionists get ever more desperate.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

An interesting article on the decline in education standards and what influenced it from the 1960s by an ex- and now returning teacher - Robert Peal.

He traces it from the absolute pupil freedom and do-as-you-please ideas of A.S. Neil (HM of Summerhill School in Suffolk which influenced many teacher training colleges in the '60s and '70s. "We set out to make a school in which we should allow children freedom to be themselves,’ he wrote. ‘In order to do this, we had to renounce all discipline, all direction, all suggestion, all moral training, all religious instruction.’"

"Much of this was reinforced by the 1967 Plowden Report which an immensely influential document which became the unofficial core text of teacher-training.

It required the teaching of reading - Instead of old-fashioned phonics schemes, where individual letter sounds were learned and then built into longer words, teachers encouraged ‘look-say’ methods which taught pupils to recognise complete words.

When one despondent primary school teacher, trained in the early Fifties, challenged a teacher-trainer on these new methods she was told ‘one must never “teach” reading. If one’s classroom was sufficiently interesting, reading would “emerge”.’

In maths, meanwhile, in the Sixties, the memorisation of times-tables and basic calculations was abandoned in favour of real world problems, such as making models or ‘playing shop’.

It dismissed the benefit of memorisation, discipline for bad behaviour, divisions between different subjects, correcting pupils’ work and reading schemes."

Mr Peal then goes onto describe scenes of classroom chaos in 2011 in the Birmingham school where he taught and its educational environ.

"Education spending increased from £39 billion in 1997 to £89 billion in 2009 — much of this on a series of quangos staffed by stalwarts of the education establishment."

"Many of my 11-year-old pupils arriving from primary school could barely read and their handwriting was illegible.

The school library prominently displayed a raft of ghost-written memoirs of various footballers and reality TV stars, while tucked away on the fiction shelves I found a spine that was notably lacking in lurid colours. It was an old copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, a lonely reminder of the days when the school had intellectual aspirations for its pupils.

While most classrooms had their desks in islands to promote group work, I resolutely kept mine in rows.

When I left the school, I received a card signed by all the pupils in one of my classes.

‘You are the reason for my interest in history,’ read one of the comments.

‘I’m gonna miss your history lessons because I actually learned,’ read another. These pupils were crying out for orderly, well-structured and information-filled lessons."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2611750/

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    FPT - "The latest information 68 councils intend to count overnight and 93 to start counting on Friday. So all the fun will come on the Friday."

Just to make writing the Saturday post-election piece even more tricky!

I'm sure this'll have been answered on the previous thread but the Euro-count will be on Sunday, won't it? Though I suspect that there'll be leaks from the counts as to rough impressions as the papers are separated.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited April 2014
    Ed called Coop the model for banks to follow. Now they are fighting to ditch each other as both so toxic.

No break from the Coop group though - still taking the cash.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,043
    Meanwhile:

1 British Pound Sterling equals
    1.68 US Dollar

1.21 Euro

!!
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), didn't Miliband also snuggle up closely to Hollande?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    malcolmg said:

LOL, Is that the same DWP that has wasted billions trying to put a computer system in to handle benefits payments. You could not make it up the unionists get ever more desperate.

Regardless of that Scotland will need to rapidly spend money on new computer systems if the vote is Yes. And 18 months is not very long when implementing any large computer system.

Edit to say its well known in technical circles why the DWP system is a grade a disaster, I very much doubt new Scottish systems will be very different (the real faults are baked into the nature of any Government IT project)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

I remain optimistic that the tory vote at the next election will be more efficient than it was in 2010.

Their council by-election results for the first quarter of this year are encouraging. Their median result is 30-40%.

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/vote-share-performances-in-council-by.html
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Regardless of that Scotland will need to rapidly spend money on new computer systems if the vote is Yes. And 18 months is not very long when implementing any large computer system.

Edit to say its well known in technical circles why the DWP system is a grade a disaster, I very much doubt new Scottish systems will be very different (the real faults are baked into the nature of the project)
    There are plenty of existing systems that can be used , despite the daydreams of unionists , Scotland actually has a few computers and actually pays out benefits currently. Only fools would believe that everything will disappear on independence.
    Hopefully we will avoid outsourcing to the inept companies that the Tories use and thus reduce their pals salaries.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    malcolmg said:

LOL, Is that the same DWP that has wasted billions trying to put a computer system in to handle benefits payments.
    So you'll be thrilled to spend your own money on your own system then!

How much?

How do you plan to commission it in 18 months?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I believe he mentions that in his Flying Free book. His dad sobered up.

• Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

The DWP is just one example of the complete absence of relevant head office experience and knowledge in Scotland. Treasury functions have been exceptionally centralised in the UK for over 100 years. Where is Scotland going to get its Treasury mandarins and how much are they going to cost? Ditto defence, foreign affairs, most financial and other regulation and even some parts of the Health service.

Whilst Scotland has its fair share of back office functions in things like the DWP it is completely unrealistic to think that a modern civil service can simply be created out of thin air at no particular cost. It is also absurd not to presume that that civil service will not make a significant number of expensive mistakes as they try to learn their new tasks. One is tempted to think of the learning curve on Edinburgh trams.

The fantasy that everything can remain the same apart from the bits that the SNP want to change is no more than that. Nothing is impossible but only an idiot would believe this is going to be easy.

• Options

malcolmg said:

LOL, Is that the same DWP that has wasted billions trying to put a computer system in to handle benefits payments.

How much?

18 months is plenty of time and we will already have the systems , you forget we own 10% of all UK computers.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

DavidL said:

I remain optimistic that the tory vote at the next election will be more efficient than it was in 2010.

Their council by-election results for the first quarter of this year are encouraging. Their median result is 30-40%.

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/vote-share-performances-in-council-by.html
    You should take account of the fact that the 6 month rule means that most of the byelections in the 1st quarter of the year were in Conservative shires with few/none in the Met Districts and London .
  • Options
    Eye on the ball? This has been kicked into the (post-referendum) long grass:

CONTROVERSIAL plans to scrap Scotland’s centuries-old principle of corroboration have been delayed amid mounting criticism from the legal establishment.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/macaskill-in-u-turn-on-corroboration-law-change-1-3385075
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Financier said:

An interesting article on the decline in education standards and what influenced it from the 1960s by an ex- and now returning teacher - Robert Peal.

In maths, meanwhile, in the Sixties, the memorisation of times-tables and basic calculations was abandoned in favour of real world problems, such as making models or ‘playing shop’.

It dismissed the benefit of memorisation, discipline for bad behaviour, divisions between different subjects, correcting pupils’ work and reading schemes."

Mr Peal then goes onto describe scenes of classroom chaos in 2011 in the Birmingham school where he taught and its educational environ.

"Education spending increased from £39 billion in 1997 to £89 billion in 2009 — much of this on a series of quangos staffed by stalwarts of the education establishment."

"Many of my 11-year-old pupils arriving from primary school could barely read and their handwriting was illegible.

The school library prominently displayed a raft of ghost-written memoirs of various footballers and reality TV stars, while tucked away on the fiction shelves I found a spine that was notably lacking in lurid colours. It was an old copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, a lonely reminder of the days when the school had intellectual aspirations for its pupils.

While most classrooms had their desks in islands to promote group work, I resolutely kept mine in rows.

When I left the school, I received a card signed by all the pupils in one of my classes.

‘You are the reason for my interest in history,’ read one of the comments.

‘I’m gonna miss your history lessons because I actually learned,’ read another. These pupils were crying out for orderly, well-structured and information-filled lessons."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2611750/

Yeah, I distinctly remember learning times tables at school.
    And which letter equates to which sound.
    In the nineties.

This is at least partly fiction as it purports to tell about modern education
  • Options
    Mr. G, wouldn't that be the 10% (and I thought it was 8%?) in Scotland? Otherwise that'd suggest the UK owns 90% of the computers in Scotland.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Re last nights Yougov . . The poll also asked Euro VI questions but the data tables do not give those responses , perhaps they were asked on behalf of another company .
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

The DWP is just one example of the complete absence of relevant head office experience and knowledge in Scotland. Treasury functions have been exceptionally centralised in the UK for over 100 years. Where is Scotland going to get its Treasury mandarins and how much are they going to cost? Ditto defence, foreign affairs, most financial and other regulation and even some parts of the Health service.

Whilst Scotland has its fair share of back office functions in things like the DWP it is completely unrealistic to think that a modern civil service can simply be created out of thin air at no particular cost. It is also absurd not to presume that that civil service will not make a significant number of expensive mistakes as they try to learn their new tasks. One is tempted to think of the learning curve on Edinburgh trams.

The fantasy that everything can remain the same apart from the bits that the SNP want to change is no more than that. Nothing is impossible but only an idiot would believe this is going to be easy.

David , what planet do you live on , we could go to the dole queue and pick anyone at random and they would do as good a job as a Tories chum(p). How do all those countries around the world manage without that titan the DWP. You must be having a laugh.
    You show your complete stupidity by including the health service which has been autonomous since the beginning and has no need of help from the English version.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Agree with Mike that it's likely to confuse some voters, especially as half the UKIP voters didn't vote at the last GE so are not especially into studying ballot papers.

Financier's link on education reads a bit oddly to me. I grew up at the time Peal is talking about. Summerhill was regarded as weird by nearly everyone then as now - nice idea maybe but nuts. I don't believe that he influenced "many teacher training colleges".

That said, my school (which was American run and abroad, so not strictly relevant) mostly taught as Peal described - learn words as a whole, use real-world problems rather than memorisation, encourage reading of popular themes, some Shakespeare but not a lot. We had fairly laid-back interaction with teachers and certainly didn't wear uniforms or pay any special attention to discipline. I was offered places at MIT and Yale and went on to get a PhD, which wasn't untypical of the students.

The underlying point IMO is that the KEY factors are not really what particular methods are used (nor, pace the last government, the quality of the buildings - some of my schooling was in the rooms of an underground youth club) but the commitment of the teachers to make them work and the support of parents. If both of those are sorted, almost anything works. If the teachers are demoralised and the parents don't care, nothing does. Is there in fact non-anecdotal evidence that standards have declined, as Peal asserts?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How much?

18 months is plenty of time and we will already have the systems , you forget we own 10% of all UK computers.
    All the easier to handle your own currency too then!

By the way, I think your "we own 10% of the UK assets" a touch simplistic......does rUK own 92% of Edinburgh Castle?

International law provides:

The UK’s fixed property in Scotland (e.g. Government buildings) would become the property of the new Scottish State; conversely Scotland would have no claim on the UK’s fixed property in the rest of the UK or overseas

The UK’s movable property in Scotland would become the property of the new Scottish State where it is specifically for local use

Other assets and liabilities would fall to be apportioned equitably. This may be calculated by such means as share of population or, possibly with regard to the national debt, for example, by share of GDP. Historical contribution appears to be of no relevance: thus UK fixed property in Scotland would become the property of the new Scottish State even if its construction had been paid for UK taxpayers as a whole, and no compensation would be due to the rUK

http://tinyurl.com/lflc8vm
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AndyJS said:

So this is what you come down to. Sling any mud, anywhere, and hope that it sticks.
  • Options

Agree with Mike that it's likely to confuse some voters, especially as half the UKIP voters didn't vote at the last GE so are not especially into studying ballot papers.

Financier's link on education reads a bit oddly to me. I grew up at the time Peal is talking about. Summerhill was regarded as weird by nearly everyone then as now - nice idea maybe but nuts. I don't believe that he influenced "many teacher training colleges".

That said, my school (which was American run and abroad, so not strictly relevant) mostly taught as Peal described - learn words as a whole, use real-world problems rather than memorisation, encourage reading of popular themes, some Shakespeare but not a lot. We had fairly laid-back interaction with teachers and certainly didn't wear uniforms or pay any special attention to discipline. I was offered places at MIT and Yale and went on to get a PhD, which wasn't untypical of the students.

The underlying point IMO is that the KEY factors are not really what particular methods are used (nor, pace the last government, the quality of the buildings - some of my schooling was in the rooms of an underground youth club) but the commitment of the teachers to make them work and the support of parents. If both of those are sorted, almost anything works. If the teachers are demoralised and the parents don't care, nothing does. Is there in fact non-anecdotal evidence that standards have declined, as Peal asserts?

We have had many discussions on here about education standards, and it usually falls on partisan lines. Whether you take GCSE results, or PISA results, or just anecdata, there is something for everyone.

However Labour's finally admitted they oversaw grade inflation, which Hunt himself called 'a great crime':
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/labour-admits-great-crime-on-education-tristram-hunt-says-his-party-encouraged-schools-to-aim-too-low--and-pupils-paid-the-price-9053693.html

Tell me, how did you vote for Labour's education changes?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Watch the two videos in which David Axelrod demolishes Ed Miliband's energy price freeze: http://t.co/rEFJuduEU2
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

FPT - "The latest information 68 councils intend to count overnight and 93 to start counting on Friday. So all the fun will come on the Friday."

Just to make writing the Saturday post-election piece even more tricky!

I'm sure this'll have been answered on the previous thread but the Euro-count will be on Sunday, won't it? Though I suspect that there'll be leaks from the counts as to rough impressions as the papers are separated.

The count's on Sunday, although the local election results may give an indication of what will happen.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

David , what planet do you live on , we could go to the dole queue and pick anyone at random and they would do as good a job as a Tories chum(p). How do all those countries around the world manage without that titan the DWP. You must be having a laugh.
    You show your complete stupidity by including the health service which has been autonomous since the beginning and has no need of help from the English version.
    Malcolm. We are not talking about the political leadership which is almost irrelevant for this purpose but the senior civil service. Because the UK has been (arguably excessively) centralised for a long time there is no relevant experience of running non devolved functions north of the Border. None.

Any country that has evolved its own systems over a period of time will of course have such expertise and Scotland would no doubt acquire it in time. But that time and expertise would be very expensive.

So far as the NHS is concerned whilst there is a management system in place in Scotland it is a lot more integrated on specialist functions and research than you seem to think. The efficiencies of being part of a larger system with significant resources to throw at new problems would be lost.
  • Options
    I think Nattrass will hurt UKIP at the margins, but the 35% or so who vote on May 22nd will probably be the most politically aware section of the electorate.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Pulpstar said:

Meanwhile:

1.68 US Dollar

1.21 Euro

!!

Seeing as I'm going to both the US and Cyprus this year...long may the pound strengthen!!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

The UK’s fixed property in Scotland (e.g. Government buildings) would become the property of the new Scottish State; conversely Scotland would have no claim on the UK’s fixed property in the rest of the UK or overseas

The UK’s movable property in Scotland would become the property of the new Scottish State where it is specifically for local use

Other assets and liabilities would fall to be apportioned equitably. This may be calculated by such means as share of population or, possibly with regard to the national debt, for example, by share of GDP. Historical contribution appears to be of no relevance: thus UK fixed property in Scotland would become the property of the new Scottish State even if its construction had been paid for UK taxpayers as a whole, and no compensation would be due to the rUK

It's a shame the blog didn't source that, because it's very interesting.

I would have thought the fair way to do it would be to split up the "other assets and liabilities" as a remainder. e.g. if the unmovable property happened to split 95% to rUK and 5% to Scotland, then Scotland should get a bigger share of the rest.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

There are plenty of existing systems that can be used , despite the daydreams of unionists , Scotland actually has a few computers and actually pays out benefits currently. Only fools would believe that everything will disappear on independence.
    Hopefully we will avoid outsourcing to the inept companies that the Tories use and thus reduce their pals salaries.

Keep going, its nice to see the site jester providing so much unintentional humour ever day..
  • Options

We have had many discussions on here about education standards, and it usually falls on partisan lines. Whether you take GCSE results, or PISA results, or just anecdata, there is something for everyone.

However Labour's finally admitted they oversaw grade inflation, which Hunt himself called 'a great crime':
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/labour-admits-great-crime-on-education-tristram-hunt-says-his-party-encouraged-schools-to-aim-too-low--and-pupils-paid-the-price-9053693.html

I don't think grade inflation was subject to a parliamentary vote.
  • Options
    Given that people across the political spectrum, from David Herdson to Nick Palmer, have all agreed this party is an obvious attempt to steal votes from UKIP, what is wrong with the electoral commission? They're like judges who give child rapists five years in jail. Completely out of touch with what virtually all reasonable people think.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    You can tell it's a bad YouGov morning from the PB Tories that have shown up.
    Today we have pathetic smear attempts on The Axe, the Coop and Farage's dad.
    You can set your watch by YouGov.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Antifrank's analysis of the Lib Dem situation has been fascinating but it is based on their current polling levels. He hints that he is going to find it unlikely that Lib Dem support will recover significantly tomorrow and I look forward to reading that as well but my rather less analytical thinking is that they will recover somewhat and that they will recover most where they have incumbents.

In short I find the idea that they might lose half their seats somewhat unlikely (at least outside Scotland). This may be a failure of imagination on my part but IIRC they have been losing about 1/3 of their local councillors in each set of local elections since the Coalition was formed. Given their polling they arguably should have been doing worse but they have not been, probably because of personal loyalties etc.

At the moment I think they might lose 15-20 seats with a significant number, 6-7, in Scotland. If I am right in this the prospects for tory gains at Lib Dem expense are going to be more limited than they might hope and are unlikely to significantly offset any swing losses to Labour to any material extent.

To remain the largest party the tories have to limit the extent of the Labour swing by getting into a lead at least approaching what they had the last time (which seems a very big ask) or by deploying their vote more efficiently. This is why I find their current performance in light of UKIP so encouraging. As I mentioned yesterday if 45% of UKIP is coming from the tories and UKIP are in the 12-15% band then they should be costing the tories 5-6% pushing them back to 30% or even less.

But they are not. So they have gained some support (some Lib Dems obviously) elsewhere. The efficiency of their vote will depend on where they have lost support to UKIP and where they have gained this countervailing support. I remain optimistic that the tory vote at the next election will be more efficient than it was in 2010.

I think the Lib Dems may well recover some support in the constituencies where they are competitive (though I don't think that's a given). What I've tried to show over the last couple of days is that their polling position that it only can they not hope to outperform uniform national swing, uniform national swing simply doesn't work and they are looking to struggle to perform as well as that rule of thumb would imply.
  • Options

Fraser Nelson:

Old Labour, New Danger
    If he wins the next election, Ed Miliband is set to unleash a radical Old Labour agenda

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9191671/back-to-the-future-5/

I was with him until he got to this stupid point:

There is a conservative explanation — that the culprit is not the free market, but massive government interference in the market pinning interest rates to the floor and sending asset prices to the stratosphere.

The only thing "pinning" interest rates anywhere is the zero bound, preventing interest rates falling far enough to bring aggregate demand in line with aggregate supply. Any learned conservative that is well-read on the economic debate would know this. Nelson's explanation is not a empiricist, conservative one, based on thoughtful consideration of history. It is the ideological libertarian one, that purists continue to hold no matter how much it conflicts with the reality, as is clear from the difficulties the Eurozone and Sweden are facing right now.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The May elections will be a better guide, where the Lib Dems have to fight a large number of elections simultaneously.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

So this is what you come down to. Sling any mud, anywhere, and hope that it sticks.

As I posted on the previous thread, did he become one before or after he saw what he'd fathered?

If, in fact he was one.
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think grade inflation was subject to a parliamentary vote.
    It's all part of the education system, which Nick's previous post seemed to disown slightly (the 'pace the last government').

It's fair enough to ask someone who is standing to represent people, and who has represented people before, how he voted. Did he rebel, or did he blindly vote with the party on education matters?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

No-one needs to smear the Co-op: they're doing a good enough job of smashing their reputation on their own.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It's a shame the blog didn't source that, because it's very interesting.

I would have thought the fair way to do it would be to split up the "other assets and liabilities" as a remainder. e.g. if the unmovable property happened to split 95% to rUK and 5% to Scotland, then Scotland should get a bigger share of the rest.
    The blog author is the John Miller Professor of Public Law at Glasgow University - he also cites the UK Govt response to the Scottish Government's SNP Manifesto White Paper - so may be reasonably assumed to know what he is talking about.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@_Liam_Walker_: YouGov: 46% think cuts have been good for the economy, 35% bad; 59% think they are necessary, 26% unnecessary. #Labour opposed them all!
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Ah well, president of Labour Party's apparent new bankers: Unison's Dave Prentis: http://t.co/VEeLQs8q2L
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

pathetic smear attempts on The Axe

Are the videos faked?

• Options

Mr. G, wouldn't that be the 10% (and I thought it was 8%?) in Scotland? Otherwise that'd suggest the UK owns 90% of the computers in Scotland.

MD, still 10%of UK will be sure to be more than 90% of Scottish given Westminster love of having it all in London if they can
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2014
    Serious question. We know that UKIPpers fear immigration, but do individual UKIPpers fear individual immigrants?

In this mental picture that I have of Godfrey Bloom finding himself in the same room as an immigrant, he wears a certain look on his face. The look a virgin wears as she awaits the Sultan.

Part of his apprehension is from noticing that the bottle of baby oil on the table is almost empty.

Is that roughly what it feels like to be a UKIPper?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Scott_P said:

BobaFett said:

@_Liam_Walker_: YouGov: 46% think cuts have been good for the economy, 35% bad; 59% think they are necessary, 26% unnecessary. #Labour opposed them all!
    What's your view? I only ask because you only ever seem to post the views of other people.
    Tell us.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Boba - polls count for not a lot no need to get excited either way. The only polls that matter are the GE really - and in the last one Labour got 27 odd % in England.

• Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Keep going, its nice to see the site jester providing so much unintentional humour ever day..
    Nice to see my , "Eek, a Penis!", stalker is on the ball, unionists panicking , his single brain cell buddy will be along soon no doubt.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

It's a 'dangerous fantasy' to leave the EU, he will claim. Odd choice of words for a chap who argued (when reneging on his manifesto promise to support a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty) that it would be better to have an In/Out referendum.

I love this bit:

He will counter UKIP's argument that it is the anti-establishment party, saying: "At long last someone is taking on the Eurosceptic establishment - and it's us.

Is that the Eurosceptic establishment that has handed over more power to Brussels and Luxembourg decade on decade for the last forty years? You have to laugh at the intellectual contortions the pro-EU brigade need to make to come up with their arguments. Every job connected to European trade is "at risk", even when the author of the statistic says that's not true. Companies with one foreign director are "founded by immigrants". The establishment is eurosceptic. They're in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,043
    Pet annoyance of the day:

Supermarkets that don't break down the VAT split on their receipts.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    It is a good job that the Co-Op don't brew beer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27110123

Co-Op group must be the product of at least four mergers in the last 10 years - Somerfield, Britainnia, United Co-Op and Co-Co group, CWS and CRS,
  • Options
    As for the Co op bank - they appear to have the opportunity to get rid of a high risk, low interest loan from their books - thinks are looking up for them I would think.

• Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

trams.

Malcolm. We are not talking about the political leadership which is almost irrelevant for this purpose but the senior civil service. Because the UK has been (arguably excessively) centralised for a long time there is no relevant experience of running non devolved functions north of the Border. None.

Any country that has evolved its own systems over a period of time will of course have such expertise and Scotland would no doubt acquire it in time. But that time and expertise would be very expensive.

So far as the NHS is concerned whilst there is a management system in place in Scotland it is a lot more integrated on specialist functions and research than you seem to think. The efficiencies of being part of a larger system with significant resources to throw at new problems would be lost.
    David, as they run the devolved functions perfectly well , and arguably better than UK civil service it should be no hardship to run similar functions that are not devolved. It is not rocket science.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    AndyJS said:

Skimming the rest of the page, his children are still quite young. Given the hours he puts into travelling/public speaking that must be hard on Mrs Farage.

" Samuel (born 1989) and Thomas (born 1991). … Victoria (born 2000) and Isabelle (born 2005)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage#Personal_life

• Options
    Socrates said:

Given that people across the political spectrum, from David Herdson to Nick Palmer, have all agreed this party is an obvious attempt to steal votes from UKIP, what is wrong with the electoral commission? They're like judges who give child rapists five years in jail. Completely out of touch with what virtually all reasonable people think.

To refine that attribution (and I think this is NickP's reading too, though obviously he can speak for himself), I think it's the *marketing* of the party which is trying to steal votes from UKIP (i.e. the strapline appears deliberately misleading). The mere existence of a splinter party may be a nuisance for UKIP but is of itself legitimate.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

DavidL said:

I think the Lib Dems may well recover some support in the constituencies where they are competitive (though I don't think that's a given). What I've tried to show over the last couple of days is that their polling position that it only can they not hope to outperform uniform national swing, uniform national swing simply doesn't work and they are looking to struggle to perform as well as that rule of thumb would imply.
    I look forward to reading your analysis tomorrow. So far I have found it thought provoking and rigorous and I don't expect that to change.

• Options

Serious question. We know that UKIPpers fear immigration, but do individual UKIPpers fear individual immigrants?

In this mental picture that I have of Godfrey Bloom finding himself in the same room as an immigrant, he wears a certain look on his face. The look a virgin wears as she awaits the Sultan.

Part of his apprehension is from noticing that the bottle of baby oil on the table is almost empty.

Why not tell us? Some of your own posts are very hostile to immigration.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    In Clegg's speech. We can also remember Socrates three methods for arguing like a Europhile:

(1) Talk in high level wooly terms

Britain is always at its best when we are open, outward-facing and engaged, a leader on the world stage.

(2) Give credit to the EU for things that would happen anyway.

We are IN for jobs. For the millions of businesses who rely on trade with our neighbours.

(3) If in doubt, smear your opponents as reactionary bigots.

If not us, who? The Labour Party? The Conservatives? Where are they? What are they doing to stop the populists and the xenophobes?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

In Mathematics the negative of a negative is a positive, but in conversation the same does not apply. Complaining about someone else's [allegedly] negative contribution does not make for a positive contribution.

The latest YouGov figures are:
    Con 32%
    Lab 37%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 15%

As a leftie I find it worrying that Con + UKIP = 47%, which is +7 on the 2010 GE. The next general election could be a case of Labour winning a battle but losing the war.
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, indeed, that line (from the deputy PM, claiming to be anti-establishment) was amusing. It reminded me of Mandelson's insurgent line, except that a media either compliant or empty-headed actually went along with that.

'At risk' is a beautifully appalling use of language. It's vague enough to be accurate but worrying enough to make people stop and think.

I was 'at risk' of being run over several times on Sunday. I took my life in my hands, but bravely crossed multiple roads anyway.

It's also interesting to note the potential fragmentation of various countries (UK, Venice/Italy, Catalonia/Spain). My fear is that this would enable the EU to easier dominate a larger number of smaller countries.

On that note, I fail to see why Cornwall suddenly has some sort of weird minority status. Why them, and not Yorkshire? Or Lancashire? Or East Anglia? It just feeds fragmentation, special pleading and so forth. We're all Englishmen, for god's sake.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Good morning, everyone.

I love this bit:

He will counter UKIP's argument that it is the anti-establishment party, saying: "At long last someone is taking on the Eurosceptic establishment - and it's us.

Is that the Eurosceptic establishment that has handed over more power to Brussels and Luxembourg decade on decade for the last forty years? You have to laugh at the intellectual contortions the pro-EU brigade need to make to come up with their arguments. Every job connected to European trade is "at risk", even when the author of the statistic says that's not true. Companies with one foreign director are "founded by immigrants". The establishment is eurosceptic. They're in cloud cuckoo land.
    There is though, Mr Socrates, a constant drip drip drip from certain significant quarters ….. the Mail, the Murdoch press….. about "the wrongs being done to us by Brussels"! Straight bananas is but one example.

It's a bit like "elf n safety"; I would estimate that somewhere around 95% of the loony elf n safety stories are the result of misinterpretation and the rest are the result of some enthusiastic junior who was smartly slapped down before any action was taken.
  • Options

Nigel Farage must be terrified of his wife.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Are we talking about the 5% lead for Labour? If so, it's about par for the course isn't is, leaving the Budget Bounce aside, which has now clearly worn off.

That said, the Budget Bounce is relevant, not for any lasting effect - there hasn't been one - but what it shows about how readily votes might shift in response to events: something highly relevant to an election campaign. There are a lot of undecided and persuadables out there.
This discussion has been closed.