Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ipsos-MORI Scotland poll suggests SNP gains from LAB and C

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,188
    edited November 2019
    Witness on bus says people came out of the building on the north side with blood and what looked like stab wounds
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TOPPING said:

Fucking hell imagine trying to get political capital out of this - shameful

Fucking hell imagine being the guy who brought that issue up.
    To be fair - I think he was looking at a specific comment down thread
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Polls are irrelevant.

The fact is that all post war prime ministers that first come to power at an election are alumni of Oxford university.

Jeremy Corbyn did not go to Oxford. He will not be prime minister.

It used to be that having a constituency on the A1 was the prerequisite for GE success. Thatcher Finchley, Major Huntingdon, Blair Sedgefield
    Doesn’t it go right through Corbyn’s seat? ;)
    It does. OTOH Witney, Maidenhead and Uxbridge are all on the A40 so maybe the rules have changed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I didn't bring it up. Look at the comments above, somebody made this about Corbyn
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,565

You've got more of a chance of being killed by a falling coconut than a terrorist incident

I need to see the stats on that.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

No, what is shameful is being the sort of scum that commemorates Jew-killing terrorists, calls them his friends and invites them to parliament. Or being the sort of voter that looks the other way over such reprehensible views from the politician they are voting for.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

To be fair - I think he was looking at a specific comment down thread
    In that case everyone needs to show respect and stop political point scoring now
  • Options

Just grow up will you. Lots of people are terrorised and at least one person is dead

Show some respect
    I didn't. Somebody else above did - they tried to make this about Corbyn. I was calling them out on it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2019
    In non-Terrorism news I am still working through analysing where the YouGov 2017 was really accurate. And I think I've already found the winner

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Con: 61.8 Lab: 26.5 LD: 8.7
    Result
    Con : 61.4 Lab: 27.1 LD: 8.02
    And this shows the problem for the LD this time around, the 2019 YouGov has Tiverton as
    Con: 57 Lab: 19 LD: 16
    Doubling their vote share and doing them absolutely hee haw good overall.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

No, what is shameful is being the sort of scum that commemorates Jew-killing terrorists, calls them his friends and invites them to parliament. Or being the sort of voter that looks the other way over such reprehensible views from the politician they are voting for.
    This is what I was talking about, Christ.

I am stopping commenting on this as I don't want to feed this troll anymore.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

I didn't bring it up. Look at the comments above, somebody made this about Corbyn

OK fair enough.
  • Options
    Of course my thoughts are with the families - and credit to the person who got involved I bet I wouldn't have done that, not nearly as brave as them
  • Options
    Reports the stabbings began at monument tube station
  • Options
    Sky showing video with sound of the shooting
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

I think trouser-related injuries are relatively common.
  • Options

Of course my thoughts are with the families - and credit to the person who got involved I bet I wouldn't have done that, not nearly as brave as them

You do not know how you would act to be fair. You may well have intervened
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,000
    Alistair said:

In non-Terrorism news I am still working through analysing where the YouGov 2017 was really accurate. And I think I've already found the winner

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result
    And this shows the problem for the LD this time around, the 2019 YouGov has Tiverton as

I'd be interested to know which seats they got wrong in 2017. I know that NE Derbyshire was one of them.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019

You can get the whole thing quite easily on Twitter. Whether you want to watch it to the end will depend on you. Won’t link to it.
  • Options

You've got more of a chance of being killed by a falling coconut than a terrorist incident

I got it wrong, sorry. Much more likely by scalded water.

Don't really want to talk about this further, feels very morbid. My sincere apologies for bringing it up in the first place.
  • Options

I guess you never really know
  • Options

That’s a fair way off, to get back down on to the bridge.
  • Options

You can get the whole thing quite easily on Twitter. Whether you want to watch it to the end will depend on you. Won’t link to it.
    Thank you but I will give it a miss
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

It's number 144 on their target list.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

This is what I was talking about, Christ.

I am stopping commenting on this as I don't want to feed this troll anymore.
    I know many have tried desperately to keep Corbyn's support for terrorists as a quirk to be kept out of political debate. I know Corbynistas don't care about the victims of Hamas and Hezbollah as they are only Jews. But it is right and just that people be reminded of the effect on people of the groups he has declared his friends. You can try all you like to silence us but us Jews will not "put a sock in it" as another Labour supported demanded the other day.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

In London?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Jesus: I have close friends who work right next door to that station.

• Options

I guess you never really know
    No. You may surprise yourself but I really hope you never have to find out
  • Options

I got it wrong, sorry. Much more likely by scalded water.

Don't really want to talk about this further, feels very morbid. My sincere apologies for bringing it up in the first place.
    That is very honest of you. Well done
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    SunnyJim said:

In London?

Kew Gardens?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

Just grow up will you. Lots of people are terrorised and at least one person is dead

Show some respect
    Surely the guy trying to score party political points out of it is the one who needs to show some respect not those calling him out.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

In London?

Kew Gardens?
    There’s a lot of rooftop bars in the City with pretentious cocktails. Drop a coconut off that roof and all bets are off.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Are the 400 staff that Labour is firing their internal department who investigated anti-semitism? All sorted, nothing for them to do now.....
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Show some respect
    Surely the guy trying to score party political points out of it is the one who needs to show some respect not those calling him out.
    I have already commented on that. All political point scoring needs to stop as a mark of respect to all those involved in this serious incident
  • Options
    Even Stuart Dickson admits the SNP will not top 40% and Scottish polls always underestimate the SCon vote. It wasn't until the early hours of the Friday morning that the 2017 SCon revival became apparent. Let's see what the early Scottish results tell us a fortnight today!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    edited November 2019

SunnyJim said:

In London?

Kew Gardens?
    There’s a lot of rooftop bars in the City with pretentious cocktails. Drop a coconut off that roof and all bets are off.
    34 people a week are killed in the UK in road traffic accidents.
  • Options
    Boris on the way back to Downing Street, met statement at 4
  • Options
    'A number of people have been stabbed' Met Police
  • Options
    Streeter said:

SunnyJim said:

In London?

Kew Gardens?
    34 people a week are killed in the UK in road traffic accidents.
    Caused by coconuts? Bloody hell. They should be banned.
  • Options
    Something going on with a HGV on the bridge
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    OllyT said:

Show some respect
    I voted Labour every election in my adult life until the current leader. My criticism is specifically about Corbyn and McDonnell.
    I know you see a terrorist attack as something tragic that happens every four or five years. A solemn occasion where political debate should stop and we all join hands and sing kumbyah together. But us Jews don't get to do that. We are reminded of the constant threat of it every time our family and friends in Israel get caught up in the latest attack. Every time we walk through the towering security perimeter when we pick up kids from a Jewish school. Every time we go past the armed security to enter temple.
    So the constant threat is a live continuous issue for us, as is the moral and political support given on numerous occasions by Jeremy Corbyn. I would have loved for this understanding to be heard by non-Jews as we have pleaded with others over the last few years, but we have been met with shrugs and zero empathy. So I will not apologize for pointing this out on the rare occasion when the rest of the population might have a brief window into our experience.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,638
    edited November 2019
    Sky News have got an amazing young guy on, who made an early 999 call, was 50 metres from the incident. Nerves of steel.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,459
    Gabs3 said:

OllyT said:

Show some respect
    I voted Labour every election in my adult life until the current leader. My criticism is specifically about Corbyn and McDonnell.
    I know you see a terrorist attack as something tragic that happens every four or five years. A solemn occasion where political debate should stop and we all join hands and sing kumbyah together. But us Jews don't get to do that. We are reminded of the constant threat of it every time our family and friends in Israel get caught up in the latest attack. Every time we walk through the towering security perimeter when we pick up kids from a Jewish school. Every time we go past the armed security to enter temple.
    So the constant threat is a live continuous issue for us, as is the moral and political support given on numerous occasions by Jeremy Corbyn. I would have loved for this understanding to be heard by non-Jews as we have pleaded with others over the last few years, but we have been met with shrugs and zero empathy. So I will not apologize for pointing this out on the rare occasion when the rest of the population might have a brief window into our experience.
    Please shut up and go away. We have next to no information about this incident as yet, people have been hurt and worse. Take your cheap point scoring somewhere else.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    SunnyJim said:

spudgfsh said:

That's the tribalism of the Labour vote in action. Just because tribal labour voters keep saying 'don't know' when they get closer to the ballot box they will end up deciding to vote for Labour anyway.

The drone vote is incredibly sticky for Labour.

As it is for the Conservatives. I suppose they see Boris behaving like a Regency rake and think of the good old days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

I'd be interested to know which seats they got wrong in 2017. I know that NE Derbyshire was one of them.
    The most wrong was Hackney South and Shoreditch where they thought "someone else" was going to get over 19%. Labour hoovered that vote there.
  • Options

Sky News have got an amazing young guy on, who made an early 999 call, was 50 metres from the incident. Nerves of steel.

Listening to him it seemed the shock was setting in.

Stay strong mate

• Options

Which rather brings to mind Spinal Tap and the death from a 'bizarre gardening accident' - which seemed suitably far fetched until Keith Richard nearly killed himself falling out of a tree.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

@Andy_JS Wait no longer.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18rrY4Yj07ne1QlhFYI0JuEl82dEXn5K4EdChKc8MRMo/edit?usp=sharing

That should be a link to every constituency ranked by Root Mean Square Error comparing the YouGov prediction for Con/Lab/LD/SNP vs actual result. I haven't done Plaid as I made a msitake copying data around and it would be a right arse to fix that. Also I didn't chuck in the UKIP data because too noisy.
    I think the real takeaway for me from looking at this is YouGov did and astounding job of predicting how the 2015 UKIP vote would break. Just incredible.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

Have you had a look at Hazel Grove ?
  • Options
    The 20 worst predictions were
    1. Bradford East
    2. Thornbury and Yate
    3. Harwich and North Essex
    4. Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill
    5. Harrow West
    6. Luton South
    7. Liverpool, Walton
    8. Manchester, Gorton
    9. Knowsley
    10. Edinburgh South
    11. Clacton
    12. Solihull
    13. Maidstone and The Weald
    14. East Devon
    15. The Cotswolds
    16. Cynon Valley
    17. Ilford South
    18. Bootle
    19. Hackney South and Shoreditch
    20. Lewisham East
    12 of those were massive LAB under predictions, 5 massive Con under predictions and the rest modest mistakes both ways.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Gabs3 said:

OllyT said:

Show some respect
    Please shut up and go away. We have next to no information about this incident as yet, people have been hurt and worse. Take your cheap point scoring somewhere else.
    Yes, just as Jews have been killed regularly by Hamas and Hezbollah. But yours is the typical stonewall Jewish concerns have been met with by Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

Have you had a look at Hazel Grove ?
    Got the full sheet now, fucking psychic by YouGov.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alistair said:

1. Bradford East
    2. Thornbury and Yate
    5. Harrow West
    6. Luton South
    7. Liverpool, Walton
    8. Manchester, Gorton
    9. Knowsley
    10. Edinburgh South
    11. Clacton
    12. Solihull
    14. East Devon
    15. The Cotswolds
    16. Cynon Valley
    17. Ilford South
    18. Bootle
    20. Lewisham East
    12 of those were massive LAB under predictions, 5 massive Con under predictions and the rest modest mistakes both ways.
    Is there a factor I’m missing that might link those places? Something odd in the demographics? It seems quite a wide range of places but you’d think there’d be linked sources of error.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Gabs3 said:

It is worth pointing out it was these sort of terrorists in Israel that Jeremy Corbyn refers to as his friends.

Is that why Israel shoots children near the border in the back

Oh well
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    As well as the brave civilians who put their lives in danger, we should thank the Police and especially the armed police officer who made a decision no officer would ever wish to make to keep us safe.

I hope he/she is given all the support needed concerning their split-second decision.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

I'd say it's out by a factor of 100 or more, at least for Brits.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

@Andy_JS Wait no longer.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18rrY4Yj07ne1QlhFYI0JuEl82dEXn5K4EdChKc8MRMo/edit?usp=sharing

That should be a link to every constituency ranked by Root Mean Square Error comparing the YouGov prediction for Con/Lab/LD/SNP vs actual result. I haven't done Plaid as I made a msitake copying data around and it would be a right arse to fix that. Also I didn't chuck in the UKIP data because too noisy.
    I think the real takeaway for me from looking at this is YouGov did and astounding job of predicting how the 2015 UKIP vote would break. Just incredible.

Brilliant, thanks.
    From a quick eyeball at the RMS errors, it look as though the vast majority of the projections were considerably more accurate than individual constituency polls typically are.
  • Options

Is there a factor I’m missing that might link those places? Something odd in the demographics? It seems quite a wide range of places but you’d think there’d be linked sources of error.

Off of 632 predictions they were always going to get a bunch wrong. I think you'd want to look at the top 100 to see if there was any actual trends
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

It is worth pointing out it was these sort of terrorists in Israel that Jeremy Corbyn refers to as his friends.

Oh well
    Just stop it now
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Anorak said:

Until today, have there been any terrorist attacks in the UK since 2017?

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,459

Alistair said:

1. Bradford East
    2. Thornbury and Yate
    5. Harrow West
    6. Luton South
    7. Liverpool, Walton
    8. Manchester, Gorton
    9. Knowsley
    10. Edinburgh South
    11. Clacton
    12. Solihull
    14. East Devon
    15. The Cotswolds
    16. Cynon Valley
    17. Ilford South
    18. Bootle
    20. Lewisham East
    A lot of the Labour errors appear to be underestimating their support in areas with high ethnic minority populations. My guess is that the model channelled a proportion of census CD folks toward the Tories for cultural/Brexit reasons that don’t play out as strongly in non-white populations.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Not that I'm aware of. Let's call it a round 100 deaths since 2000. My Google skills may be weak, but can't find a British coconut death in that period.
  • Options
    Absolutely disgraceful. Conservatives trying to tie a tweet which has nothing to do with the attack and was almost certainly ok'd and in the pipeline long before news broke. Are there any depths the supporters of the Conservatives will not sink to?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

When was the last falling coconut fatality in the UK?
  • Options
    The RMS distribution is almost a perfect

Alistair said:

@Andy_JS Wait no longer.

Brilliant, thanks.
    From a quick eyeball at the RMS errors, it look as though the vast majority of the projections were considerably more accurate than individual constituency polls typically are.
    Yes, the Histrogram of RMS distribution puts the central peak between 2.3-2.76 which is just stunning to me.
  • Options
    So the exercise left to the reader if take the most accurate predictions from 2017, Find 2019 MRP predictions with odds against winners in those most accurate constituencies and then Private Message me the tips.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I am not yet convinced this is terrorism yet
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Manchester Victoria stabbings last New Years Eve.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

That's going to be true in 99% of seats.

The LDs had a very lucky 2017, in that they increased their seat count 50% despite dropping share. (The same happened, of course, in 1997, when their vote share fell back, yet they more than doubled their seats.)

This time it looks like it'll be the other way around. They'll save a lot more deposits and get a lot more votes (I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled their vote in absolute tems), but they may* end up going backwards in terms of number of seats.

* I maybe completely wrong, but I think 18-24 is the right seat range for the LDs.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Not that I'm aware of. Let's call it a round 100 deaths since 2000. My Google skills may be weak, but can't find a British coconut death in that period.
    There seems to be a figure of 150 per year globally [discredited for being too high, but it's all I have].
    If true then then suggests 1 or 2 of those would be British if all people equally exposed, which isn't the case.
    Assuming the average Brit spends 1 week a year near coconut trees on holiday, that would result in 1 death every 30 years, give or take a bit.
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    edited November 2019
    Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Yes it's outrageous how a person wishing to be prime minister could share a platform with, and describe anti-Semitic, jew-hating, murderers, and terrorists his friends. Of course, you're referring to Boris Johnson (and Theresa May for that matter) standing with Prince Mohammad Bin Salman (and the Saudis) calling him his friend... right?

(Whilst on the subject of Conservative friends with terrorists and murders, let's not forget Thatcher and her actual personal friendship with a mass murdering tyrant, Pinochet)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

You're right, and that needs to be added to the Wikipedia page.
  • Options
    Broadly, the BME vote is more Labour than estimated.

Once the Lib Dems are out of a natural Tory area (Solihull, possibly Norfolk North, maybe Westmoreland in the future) they ain't coming back for a long time.

And the fact that Liverpool is far more Labour than it should be purely on demographics (Almost a religion there)
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

Oh well
    Just stop it now
    Yes apologies Gabs 3 just winds me up making all lifes ills about Jezza but my response was crass

I apologise it wont happen again
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Tiverton and Honiton:
    YouGov Prediction
    Result

That's going to be true in 99% of seats.

The LDs had a very lucky 2017, in that they increased their seat count 50% despite dropping share. (The same happened, of course, in 1997, when their vote share fell back, yet they more than doubled their seats.)

This time it looks like it'll be the other way around. They'll save a lot more deposits and get a lot more votes (I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled their vote in absolute tems), but they may* end up going backwards in terms of number of seats.

* I maybe completely wrong, but I think 18-24 is the right seat range for the LDs.
    I think 10% and under 20 seats
  • Options
    Still waiting on the met statement, was due at 4 so presumably collating all up to date info
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

Oh well
    Just stop it now
    Yes apologies Gabs 3 just winds me up making all lifes ills about Jezza but my response was crass

Fair play BJO

Everyone needs to stop point scoring and show respect to all involved in this serious incident
  • Options

The people who risked their lives to bring this guy down are incredibly brave. They could have been killed by the terrorist - just before Christmas. The consequences to them and their family don't bear thinking about. You can only imagine they didn't make that calculation - just dived in to help their fellow Londoners in mortal danger.

Ultimate respect.

100% agree
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Nope. Last terrorist attack in the UK was the Finsbury Park mosque attack by Darren Osborne: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain#2010s
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,638
    edited November 2019
    Met: Suspect was shot dead. Confirmed terrorist incident. Hoax device on suspect.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,565
    TOPPING said:

I think trouser-related injuries are relatively common.
    But trousers are more widespread geographically than coconut palms.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

Oh well
    Just stop it now

Not all life's ills. Just terrorism. Given Corbyn and McDonnell have frequently supported groups that carry it out.
  • Options
    Is terrorism Met police
  • Options
    Now officially declared a terrorist attack
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Betting related:

I have been monitoring the Betfair and Spreadex prices a few times a day over the last couple of weeks and they are starting to feel a little out of sync both with each other and the polling.

BF's Con Maj and Con 340+ feel too short.

The Spreadex Con Seat spread mid-price has dropped a few seats recently but still looks a little high.

Does anyone else who follows these markets feel the Tory prospects are being slightly over-done (by both the exchanges and spreads) compared to how the polling trends are looking?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Once the Lib Dems are out of a natural Tory area (Solihull, possibly Norfolk North, maybe Westmoreland in the future) they ain't coming back for a long time.

And the fact that Liverpool is far more Labour than it should be purely on demographics (Almost a religion there)

Simplistic. The LDs were turfed out of Twickenham, Kingston, Eastbourne and Oxford West & Abingdon - and regained all of them.
  • Options
    Suicide vest a hoax vest it seems
  • Options

Met: Suspect was shot dead. Confirmed terrorist incident.

Good

Do we know if anyone else was killed
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't write North Norfolk off for the Lib Dem. yes they have lost Normal Lamb but they still control the local council and took a lot of seats of the Tories in May
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

You're right, and that needs to be added to the Wikipedia page.
    Culprit was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia & believed the government was trying to control his body with high frequency radio waves. Hence (rightly) not classified as a terrorist attack: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50571279
    Arguably inspired by extremist messaging though.
  • Options
    Declared as a terrorist incident but hoax belt
  • Options
    Met police going to Downing Street immediately to report to the Prime Minister
  • Options

Good

No, just several other people injured. Boris now to get a personal briefing and more details when available
  • Options
    Next, was he on a watch list
  • Options

Good

There are casualties, but no further info at this stage.
  • Options
    One key moment I will be watching out for is if there is a recount announced in an SNP seat. I remember the fact that Perth went to an early recount, from memory the first of 3, that gave a clear steer to how the night would go. The early results are usually the former Labour fiefdoms in Fife and Lanarkshire and if the early Glasgow results show bigger SNP majorities then SLAB is doomed. The first Tory seat in Grampian will give a clear steer as to how they will all go. From memory in 2017 it was Angus and I remember thinking if Kirstene has taken Angus then Alex Salmind and the others will all fall too.
This discussion has been closed.