Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Corbyn at risk from the mother of all political decapitatio

Comments

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited August 2019
    alex. said:

So in rapid succession we’ve survived the Blitz and are looking rapidly forward to the Reformation. Where’s it going to end? The Norman Conquest?

The Reformation is actually a very good analogy for Brexit, in multiple ways.

I envisage a time, quite soon, when rich, recusant Remainer families will have priest holes behind false walls, where they will hide Jolyon Maugham, or Anna Soubry.
  • Options
    We all know how this goes in the cricket. Convicts get 250-300, England collapse against the spinning ball.
  • Options
    So when can we start burning Catholics?
  • Options

We all know how this goes in the cricket. Convicts get 250-300, England collapse against the spinning ball.

Worth noting that we ARE in the lead, despite this collapse.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    ydoethur said:

Good job England bat deep....

The only depth in our batting is how far they're out of it against the moving ball.
    I was right, we’re doomed.
    Without a significant first innings lead, England will lose badly as the pitch deteriorates.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Doubtless that will be in the Tory Manifesto.
  • Options

Surely pineapple pizza eaters are first, closely followed by those that think prosecco should be served with Christmas dinner.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Worth noting that we ARE in the lead, despite this collapse.
    On this pitch, England need to be 100+ ahead.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Nonsense, Labour's manifesto however will include a commitment to burning Jews.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    justin124 said:

There’s surely only so far they can go to suck up to the DUP
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Utterly deluded. These people are off their heads with this nonsense. They just can't accept a modern, interconnected world.
    Do we need a vast bureaucracy and power exercised so remotely in a modern, interconnect world? The idea is so 20th century as to seem quaint.
    Surrey County Council employs more people than the EU
    It's amazing how the most ardent europhiles don't understand the essential way the EU works. The EU is like the British Raj, it rules a vast space with relatively few people, because it allows the locals to rule themselves - as long as they apply imperial law.

i.e. EU law is enforced by British courts, and British police, and British politicians, in Britain, on British people. In that sense the entire British state is employed by the EU, because EU law is supreme in Britain.
    I see you're struggling with that Remainer thing, again. ;)

The point at odds was the OP's description of "vast bureaucracy". Which it isn't; we are agreed on that much.
  • Options

Surely pineapple pizza eaters are first, closely followed by those that think prosecco should be served with Christmas dinner.
    Fifteen minutes ago Australia were 7/1 against for the win. Not any more.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

While Corbyn is unlikely to lose his seat, the broader truth is that the LD revival is going to hit Labour hardest in London. If not in Islington North, there could be some really big majorities overturned elsewhere. It's why the LDs are also right to put their efforts into Uxbridge. The anger at both traditional main parties in this city is palpable.

More specifically, remainer London - so as well as the SW that the LibDems already hold, the places to watch are Camden, Islington, Haringey, Ealing, Merton, Southwark and Lambeth in particular. I'd also expect an uptick in the West London Boroughs although the LDs have very little presence on the ground in Westminster-Kensington-Hammersmith (or Wandsworth, unless Justine joins).
    I will be surprised if there are any LibDem gains in London at Labour's expense.The 'Tories Little Helpers' message will be deployed effectively when needed.
    We'll have to see whether Labour being the Tories' little no deal Brexit helpers is a strong enough message, for sure.
  • Options
    Remember no Jimmy Anderson bowling for England, we're as doomed as the Canadians at Dieppe.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Or Ed Smith?
  • Options

Remember no Jimmy Anderson bowling for England, we're as doomed as the Canadians at Dieppe.

The only way we can win from here is if Bancroft is caught with sandpaper down his pants and the ACB forfeit the match in disgust.
  • Options

You mean there was someone else fighting the Nazis?

Actually, if I’m correctly informed, I had a cousin in the Commandos who got back from Dieppe!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Utterly deluded. These people are off their heads with this nonsense. They just can't accept a modern, interconnected world.
    Do we need a vast bureaucracy and power exercised so remotely in a modern, interconnect world? The idea is so 20th century as to seem quaint.
    It's amazing how the most ardent europhiles don't understand the essential way the EU works. The EU is like the British Raj, it rules a vast space with relatively few people, because it allows the locals to rule themselves - as long as they apply imperial law.

i.e. EU law is enforced by British courts, and British police, and British politicians, in Britain, on British people. In that sense the entire British state is employed by the EU, because EU law is supreme in Britain.
    I see you're struggling with that Remainer thing, again. ;)

The point at odds was the OP's description of "vast bureaucracy". Which it isn't; we are agreed on that much.
    No, we are not agreed. The EU does have a vast bureaucracy - the civil service and judicial system in each member state, which have to apply the supreme law of the EU.

The best analogy is again with the British Raj.

Britain ran 300m Indians with a paltry 20,000 British soldiers and officials (a startling fact which obsessed Stalin, btw). The UK did this by creating a huge civil service OF INDIANS who diligently enforced the supreme law of the British Empire.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Betting Post

F1: It'll take me a little while to put the blog up but Vettel at 9 each way (third the odds top 3) to 'win' qualifying looks good. He's been very close Friday and Saturday.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

justin124 said:

And who will Boris burn? The Blacks, the Muslims, the Welsh? Though while we're on the subject, aren't the constant references here to the convicts a bit past their time?
  • Options

justin124 said:

And who will Boris burn? The Blacks, the Muslims, the Welsh? Though while we're on the subject, aren't the constant references here to the convicts a bit past their time?
    You're implying a level of discrimination I don't recognise in Boris Johnson.

He'll just burn them all.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Now here's a thing. Will DUP back Johnson on No Deal all the way through October?

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1157605352378122240
  • Options
    We will at least get a lead of 30. Probably.
  • Options
    Still no mention of what Boris's better deal will look like. But on the subject of B&R, must all the papers parrot the Tory excuse that their candidate was a convicted expenses cheat? They knew that when they picked him!
  • Options

justin124 said:

Well a 1/3 of the team are (at least those are the ones that got caught).
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

I can see the Tory manifesto now - 'The Final Solution'.
  • Options

justin124 said:

It's a quarter, and it's a bit harsh to call them convicts. Cheating at cricket isn't technically a crime.

It's Pakistan field an actual convict.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Byronic said:

alex. said:

So in rapid succession we’ve survived the Blitz and are looking rapidly forward to the Reformation. Where’s it going to end? The Norman Conquest?

I envisage a time, quite soon, when rich, recusant Remainer families will have priest holes behind false walls, where they will hide Jolyon Maugham, or Anna Soubry.
    I am imagining Boris as Henry VIII.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

justin124 said:

Sandpaper aside, the convicts thing isn't an insult.

I know Australia well. Families that can trace a direct convict descent wear it with pride - if they care at all.

• Options

Byronic said:

alex. said:

He's got a way to go for that, hasn't he? He's had the two girlfriends but needs at least four more wives.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Byronic said:

alex. said:

So when do we get our Marian reaction followed by an Elizabethan compromise?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Quite soon after Liam Fox's Book of Martyrs.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

justin124 said:

It's nothing to the grievous insult of prefacing 'Englanders' with 'little'.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Surrey county council employs 23,000 people. The EU employs 55,000 people. Basic innacuracy excepted though, your point is well made (though it possibly says more about Surrey County Council than the EU). But county councils at least have to empty the bins and the like. In an age where even modern hotels have one person who acts as receptionist, bar person etc., I see the political and legal structures of the EU sitting atop our national ones to be deeply wasteful and anachronistic.
  • Options
    Ooh. We could get 50. 50 would be OK. 60?

70???

Fascinatingly tight. One more ball.
  • Options
    Chris Woakes' Test batting average has gone above Moeen Ali's
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Ooh. We could get 50. 50 would be OK. 60?

70???

Fascinatingly tight. One more ball.

Still won't be enough.
  • Options
    Cricviz has England as 67% to win...hmmm....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Is Anderson able to bat? (And ideally bowl too...)
  • Options

Cricviz has England as 67% to win...hmmm....

England are still faves at the bookies, too.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

He's got a way to go for that, hasn't he? He's had the two girlfriends but needs at least four more wives.
    How many women has Boris gotten pregnant? (No need to be precise, approximate numbers are fine.)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Well he’s well on the way as he’s on number three
  • Options
    Keeping the Aussies out past lunch is a good thing for morale. Broad used to be a very useful bat. Let’s hope he can whack them round for another 20-30 post lunch.
    Cant see why they would drop him for next test.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

IanB2 said:

Surrey county council employs 23,000 people. The EU employs 55,000 people. Basic innacuracy excepted though, your point is well made (though it possibly says more about Surrey County Council than the EU). But county councils at least have to empty the bins and the like. In an age where even modern hotels have one person who acts as receptionist, bar person etc., I see the political and legal structures of the EU sitting atop our national ones to be deeply wasteful and anachronistic.
    District Councils empty bins, not Counties.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So get rid of ours then problem solved
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

They've just said he will bat. Promising...
  • Options
    Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

The salient point remains the same.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Don't they all subcontract it anyway? How many councils still employ binmen directly?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

They've just said he will bat. Promising...
    Will he need to? Presumably we'll want to declare 40 minutes before the end of play today.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Don't they all subcontract it anyway? How many councils still employ binmen directly?
    All authorities in the northeast are in-house.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

There you go. Shows what I know.
  • Options
    Labour selection for Birkenhead

Mick Whitley 224 votes
    Tony Norbury 116
    Danielle Cornish Spencer 52
    Helen Robinson 39

https://www.mickwhitleyforbirkenhead.com
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

But there must be some pretty significant economies of scale from doing things once in Brussels rather than 28 times around the continent.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

So is ours (Mid Essex)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

There you go. Shows what I know.
    Although, uniquely, the northeast has no two-tier authorities. Not sure if that has any bearing on anything, mind.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

I agree with @rcs1000 upthread.

I want to support the Lib Dems, I *do* support the Lib Dems, but they need to get their shit together. There is no time to lose.

They need to be hammering just two messages:

1. Labour is enabling a No Deal Brexit

2. Lib Dem’s single minded policy is to enable a government of national unity which will call a referendum on an impartial, fully and fairly explained “Remain” and “Brexit”.

Oh and they need to junk the university fees, or find some other formula that means we are not saddling an entire generation with debts of up to £100k upon graduation. It’s their Clause 4.

This may prove to be the most significant Lib Dem news for a while, aside from the obvious:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blair-and-clinton-strategist-stan-greenberg-switches-to-help-lib-dems-get-elected-gg2qv3jtc

“A political strategist who worked for Bill Clinton and Tony Blair has switched sides to help the Liberal Democrats prepare for the next election. Stan Greenberg said he was a Labour supporter “in my bones”, but accused Jeremy Corbyn of “dithering” over Brexit. The veteran pollster, 74, last week met a group of senior Liberal Democrats in London. The pro-Remain party is keen to capitalise on its success in the European elections.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

I can see the Tory manifesto now - 'The Final Solution'.
    Surely that’s a Labour policy?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Aren't we looking at King Charles III before too long? Must mean something, although I gather he's given up the mistress habit.
    Unless of course, you're Jack W when he'll be Charles IV!

Edited for poor English.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Aren't we looking at King Charles III before too long? Must mean something, although I gather he's given up the mistress habit.
    Unless of course, your Jack W when he'll be Charles IV!
    Apparently he wants to do what his grandfather did - call himself George VII to avoid any embarrassing parallels.

Edit - if he wanted to make a pointed comment about his late wife he would of course be better off using his third name.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Then civil wars, revolution, interegnum, restoration and invitation of the Dutch and Germans to take over running the country...
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

And we still have a civil war to look forward to. Although you could argue this time we had that first...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    OT. League One is a shambles this season. Bolton deducted 12 points, with another deduction for failing to play a match to come. 3 senior outfield players for today. Bury's first 2 games cancelled, and 12 deducted too. Serious doubts if they will start the season. And Coventry homeless and playing at Birmingham City.
    Good job it is 4 down and not 3.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Apparently he wants to do what his grandfather did - call himself George VII to avoid any embarrassing parallels.
    His grandfather was Bert, wasn't he?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Albert Frederick Arthur George. Bertie to friends and family, took the regnal name George.

Charles is Charles Phillip Arthur George.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

OT. League One is a shambles this season. Bolton deducted 12 points, with another deduction for failing to play a match to come. 3 senior outfield players for today. Bury's first 2 games cancelled, and 12 deducted too. Serious doubts if they will start the season. And Coventry homeless and playing at Birmingham City.

And I think thought Yeovil Town were in a mess!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The efl really needs to sort out the fit and proper persons rules. It is a disgrace.

• Options
    In current circumstance the regnal name Philip might be appropriate. Was Mary I's husband ever crowned in England?
  • Options
    Having said that, the glazers are a nightmare so the premier league are no better
  • Options

Having said that, the glazers are a nightmare so the premier league are no better

At least the team's wages have been paid!
  • Options

As long as they are creaming off the top they will be but that club is in so much debt it is untrue

• Options

As long as they are creaming off the top they will be but that club is in so much debt it is untrue

The finance structure of football in this country is a disgrace. If Priti Patel wants to look for criminals........
  • Options

The finance structure of football in this country is a disgrace. If Priti Patel wants to look for criminals........
    Good call. And as for Real Madrid......

• Options

Good call. And as for Real Madrid......

Pirates of the Spanish Main come to mind?
  • Options

In current circumstance the regnal name Philip might be appropriate. Was Mary I's husband ever crowned in England?

They were declared joint monarchs (of England, France, Ireland, Naples, Spain and Jerusalem to be exact) and coins were struck in their names. I own one of them.

Whether he was ever formally crowned as King of England and Ireland I don't know.

He certainly made no attempt to carry on as King in his own right after Mary's death, which would perhaps indicate not.
  • Options

That was at the root of Bolton's problems. Massive debt, easily serviceable whilst in the PL...
  • Options
    Cricket started again. Given the effect of Lyon, wonder what Ali and Root can do on a pitch which appears to be turning quite a lot.
  • Options
    If we could just scrape and scramble to a lead of 80....

I had forgotten what fun a good, close Test match can be.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They were declared joint monarchs (of England, France, Ireland, Naples, Spain and Jerusalem to be exact) and coins were struck in their names. I own one of them.

Whether he was ever formally crowned as King of England and Ireland I don't know.

He certainly made no attempt to carry on as King in his own right after Mary's death, which would perhaps indicate not.
    My old college, Trinity Oxford, was founded in 1555 and has the conjoined arms of Mary & Philip over the fireplace in hall. It’s a pretty Anglo-Catholic foundation historically - see Rees-Mogg, Jacob.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

That was at the root of Bolton's problems. Massive debt, easily serviceable whilst in the PL...
    Man Utd dropped out in the 70’s. Not inconceivable it could happen again. Then something may get done
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

Albert Frederick Arthur George. Bertie to friends and family, took the regnal name George.

He could do worse than Charles II though. He had a reasonably good record in reconciling a deeply divided Kingdom.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Man Utd dropped out in the 70’s. Not inconceivable it could happen again. Then something may get done
    Dropped out of the top level perhaps. Don't recall them ever dropping right out and fighting their way back a la a Rangers.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

He could do worse than Charles II though. He had a reasonably good record in reconciling a deeply divided Kingdom.
    David Starkey wrote a piece in the Telegraph, comparing Boris, in character, to the Merry Monarch. Quite astute, I reckon.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/13/priapic-emotional-desperate-unite-nation-boris-truly-modern/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

IanB2 said:

I expect that - notwithstanding 60% fewer staff - the EU still has a higher total salary bill :-).
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

And shagging everything with a vagina.

And, of course, the last king to prorogue Parliament and rule directly, although people often forget that.

And leaving a major succession crisis that erupted into civil war in two years and revolution followed by war in Ireland in three.

Apart from that, he was a dazzling success.

(Fun fact - if he becomes King, William will be the first descendant of Charles II to be King.)
  • Options
    Australia out to 10/3 again, for any England fans who want an emotional hedge.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

The regicides were nearly all chased down and executed though. Some, like Cromwell, after they'd died!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Australia out to 10/3 again, for any England fans who want an emotional hedge.

If Australia get to 10/3 in their second innings I shall be very happy but also very surprised.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

I want to support the Lib Dems, I *do* support the Lib Dems, but they need to get their shit together. There is no time to lose.

2. Lib Dem’s single minded policy is to enable a government of national unity which will call a referendum on an impartial, fully and fairly explained “Remain” and “Brexit”.

Oh and they need to junk the university fees, or find some other formula that means we are not saddling an entire generation with debts of up to £100k upon graduation. It’s their Clause 4.

If youre looking for clarity you're looking in the wrong place (except on Brexit). Work with Labour? Well, maybe. But not a coalition. Well, not with Corbyn. Work with the Tories? Well, not over Brexit. With Boris? Well, it hasn't come up. Austerity? Was a good thing, but maybe too much. Time to stop it anyway. Well, within reason.

I don't dislike the LibDems. Hell, I'm in coalition with them. But if you rely on them to do anything in particular nationally, you're building on sand.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

The regicides were nearly all chased down and executed though. Some, like Cromwell, after they'd died!
    If you are going to be executed, that is probably the best time.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

alex. said:

If you are going to be executed, that is probably the best time.
    That is unarguable logic.

Henry V was the best one. After one of his friends rebelled against him, he gave him a fair trial.

But it was five months after the friend in question had been hanged.
  • Options

If youre looking for clarity you're looking in the wrong place (except on Brexit). Work with Labour? Well, maybe. But not a coalition. Well, not with Corbyn. Work with the Tories? Well, not over Brexit. With Boris? Well, it hasn't come up. Austerity? Was a good thing, but maybe too much. Time to stop it anyway. Well, within reason.

I don't dislike the LibDems. Hell, I'm in coalition with them. But if you rely on them to do anything in particular nationally, you're building on sand.
    But the Lib Dems really will deliver a 2nd referendum, and really will campaign hard for Remain, if they ever get a sniff of power.

For millions of Brits, that is all that matters, all that will matter, for years to come.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Dropping out is fine, as long as you get back before the parachute money ends, as Newcastle and West Ham have proved more than once. It is if you don't, and, even worse, fall into the third a la Leeds. Now Bolton. Nowt will get done.
  • Options
    Convicts cheating again...

Steve Smith is fairly blatantly the man setting the field for Australia at the moment. He is still banned by Cricket Australia from holding a leadership position for another year.
  • Options

Steve Smith is fairly blatantly the man setting the field for Australia at the moment. He is still banned by Cricket Australia from holding a leadership position for another year.

If he's going to set them so the number 10 can put in any half century stand, let's not complain.
  • Options

Yes. And the camera always switches to him as if he is the captain. It's quite telling. Tsk.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he's going to set them so the number 10 can put in any half century stand, let's not complain.
    Lock him up, lock him up....
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I don't think Clegg managed his side of the coalition well. Apart from anything else he assumed that Cameron was an honourable man.

Anyway I'm off. Need some fresh air. It's either our local Second XI cricket team or our local non-league side's pre-season friendly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Dropping out is fine, as long as you get back before the parachute money ends, as Newcastle and West Ham have proved more than once. It is if you don't, and, even worse, fall into the third a la Leeds. Now Bolton. Nowt will get done.
    True

This discussion has been closed.