Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The seven minutes that put Kamala Harris back into the Democra

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @rottenborough said:
    > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    >
    > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    >
    >
    > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections

Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Sean_F said:

> @HYUFD said:

> > @ydoethur said:

> > No it is not.

> > Monarchy, the dictionary definition ' C ] a country that has a king or queen

> > [ U ] the system of having a king or queen:

> > a system of government that has a king or queen, or a country that has this system of government'

> > https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/monarchy

> >

> > How about defining the words 'king' or 'queen' from the same source:

> >

> > 'a male ruler of a country, who holds this position because of his royal birth.'

> >

> > That sums up the latter two Kims perfectly.

> >

> > You're back on your favourite hobby of refusing to admit an error.

> >

> > Have you actually been on the Ullapool to Inverness ferry yet?

> Wrong again, neither Kim are of royal birth and I am not wrong on this you are.

>

> North Korea is on no definition whatsoever a monarchy, you could just about argue it is a hereditary Republic but that is still not a monarchy

>

Aristotle would have had no difficulty classifying it as such. The Kims are like rulers in Renaissance Italy, who had a title like First Citizen.

Augustus was a monarch, despite never taking a royal title.

As a deity, it would have been beneath him.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

I suppose it could be worse, we could be forecasting the result of the 2022 General Election based on North Korean polling.

Sssh! Don't give anyone ideas.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    HYUFD said:

> @ydoethur said:

> Wrong again, neither Kim are of royal birth and I am not wrong on this you are.

>

> It's good to know William II, Henry I, Henry II, Edward IV, Richard III, Henry VII and George I were not royal because they or their parents seized power and bequeathed it to them rather than being proper royals.

>

> Mind, it seriously buggers my teaching for next week.

All of those had the title King so were by definition royal, the Kims neither have or had the title King nor were of royal birth

When Kim Jong-Il was born and that his birth was heralded by a swallow, caused winter to change to spring, a star to illuminate the sky, and a double rainbow spontaneously appeared.

That counts as a royal birth to most people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Augustus was a monarch, despite never taking a royal title.

As a deity, it would have been beneath him.
    Kim Jong Il could control the weather.

Just saying...
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767

If Harry loved his country he'd name his sprog Albert.

We need a Prince Albert for the gaiety.

It does have a certain ring about it.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

It does have a certain ring about it.
    You get a like for that.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @viewcode said:
    > > > @viewcode said:
    > >
    > > > If you count people on 30/35 year mortgages on leasehold flats with onerous terms as homeowners......with modern pay peaking around 40 not sure they will ever get to the stage of fully owning them even by 70
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Plus they have to have kids at some point. Babies in flats are difficult: getting a buggy up and down stairs is no fun at all
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Consider the layout of a terraced house, ideally bay and forecourted. Window out front so you can see who is approaching. Kitchen with window overlooking the back yard so you can see the kids play whilst you prepare a meal. Walls to obscure nosey neighbours. Secure, safe and expandable with bunk beds. That type of house used to be so widespread they were the province of poor people: have a look at old media from the 50's and before. Miners' cottages and council houses fit this pattern. But these days in the South East even middle-class folk have to live in flats, goddammit.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Living in a 2 bed leasehold flat for a few years before moving to a semi or detached property is hardly Armageddon.
    > >
    > > No, but it is suboptimal.
    >
    > Tell that to the local LD and Residents' Association Nimbys then opposing more development

Just as Labour being the party of the working class is a myth so is the Tories being the party of the aspirational and hard working. Just suck it up and get on with it seems to be the message.
  • Options
    It's good to know politicians the world over demand reruns when the first result is wrong:

Turkey to rerun vote in Istanbul following opposition win
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48177740
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > Wrong again, neither Kim are of royal birth and I am not wrong on this you are.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It's good to know William II, Henry I, Henry II, Edward IV, Richard III, Henry VII and George I were not royal because they or their parents seized power and bequeathed it to them rather than being proper royals.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Mind, it seriously buggers my teaching for next week.
    >
    >
    >
    > All of those had the title King so were by definition royal, the Kims neither have or had the title King nor were of royal birth
    >
    > When Kim Jong-Il was born and that his birth was heralded by a swallow, caused winter to change to spring, a star to illuminate the sky, and a double rainbow spontaneously appeared.
    >
    > That counts as a royal birth to most people.

More the birth of a new deity given the Kims are semi-gods in North Korea and you are shot if you disagree
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > >
    > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > >
    > >
    > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    >
    > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?

In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited May 2019
    ydoethur said:

Good grief, we haven't had one of those since '36. I Bert you they don't go there though.
    Or a David?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Good grief, we haven't had one of those since '36. I Bert you they don't go there though.
    Or a David?
    If they wanted to be really daring they could go for Richard.

But there are enough dicks in the Firm right now.
  • Options
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @viewcode said:
    > > > > @viewcode said:
    > > >
    > > > > If you count people on 30/35 year mortgages on leasehold flats with onerous terms as homeowners......with modern pay peaking around 40 not sure they will ever get to the stage of fully owning them even by 70
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Plus they have to have kids at some point. Babies in flats are difficult: getting a buggy up and down stairs is no fun at all
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Consider the layout of a terraced house, ideally bay and forecourted. Window out front so you can see who is approaching. Kitchen with window overlooking the back yard so you can see the kids play whilst you prepare a meal. Walls to obscure nosey neighbours. Secure, safe and expandable with bunk beds. That type of house used to be so widespread they were the province of poor people: have a look at old media from the 50's and before. Miners' cottages and council houses fit this pattern. But these days in the South East even middle-class folk have to live in flats, goddammit.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Living in a 2 bed leasehold flat for a few years before moving to a semi or detached property is hardly Armageddon.
    > > >
    > > > No, but it is suboptimal.
    > >
    > > Tell that to the local LD and Residents' Association Nimbys then opposing more development
    >
    > Just as Labour being the party of the working class is a myth so is the Tories being the party of the aspirational and hard working. Just suck it up and get on with it seems to be the message.
    As I said most people over 40 are on the housing ladder and it is the LDs and Residents' opposing Tory councils Local Plans for more development and affordable housing who are the biggest obstacle to getting more 'aspirational and hard working' people on the housing ladder
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    HYUFD said:

As I pointed out before they are not, Labour won unskilled working class and unemployed DEs at the last general election who are more welfare dependent. They may have voted Leave as well in 2016 but they still voted Labour in 2017.

It was slightly higher earning less welfare dependant skilled white working class C2s who both voted Leave in 2016 and then voted Tory in 2017 and will be strong Brexit Party voters in the European elections. There is nothing remotely 'illogical' about that!

And as EYE pointed out we are taking about now not about GE 2017.

You actually agree with me.

You reckon that the thirst for No Deal Brexit is so strong that Farage and BP will likely win the next election.

If that is not people prioritising nationalism and identity over economic self interest then my name is not kinabalu.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > >
    > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > >
    > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    >
    > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies

As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> > @ydoethur said:

>

> > Wrong again, neither Kim are of royal birth and I am not wrong on this you are.

>

> >

>

> > It's good to know William II, Henry I, Henry II, Edward IV, Richard III, Henry VII and George I were not royal because they or their parents seized power and bequeathed it to them rather than being proper royals.

>

> >

>

>

>

>

> All of those had the title King so were by definition royal, the Kims neither have or had the title King nor were of royal birth

>

> When Kim Jong-Il was born and that his birth was heralded by a swallow, caused winter to change to spring, a star to illuminate the sky, and a double rainbow spontaneously appeared.

>

More the birth of a new deity given the Kims are semi-gods in North Korea and you are shot if you disagree

The Queen believes she was anointed by God to be Queen and head of the COE.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @kinabalu said:
    > As I pointed out before they are not, Labour won unskilled working class and unemployed DEs at the last general election who are more welfare dependent. They may have voted Leave as well in 2016 but they still voted Labour in 2017.
    >
    >
    > It was slightly higher earning less welfare dependant skilled white working class C2s who both voted Leave in 2016 and then voted Tory in 2017 and will be strong Brexit Party voters in the European elections. There is nothing remotely 'illogical' about that!
    >
    > And as EYE pointed out we are taking about now not about GE 2017.
    >
    > You actually agree with me.
    >
    > You reckon that the thirst for No Deal Brexit is so strong that Farage and BP will likely win the next election.
    >
    > If that is not people prioritising nationalism and identity over economic self interest then my name is not kinabalu.

The Brexit Party will only win if the Leave vote in 2016 is ignored and if they do I would expect it would be the DEs, C1s and C2s voting Brexit Party, upper middle class ABs will not vote Brexit Party just as they voted Remain as they are largely globalist and do not share the concerns over immigration and sovereignty of the working and lower middle classes.

If we leave the EU by the next general election DEs certainly will still vote Labour as they want both Brexit and a Corbyn government
  • Options

HYUFD said:

> > @ydoethur said:

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

The Queen believes she was anointed by God to be Queen and head of the COE.
    Technically, 'chosen' by God and 'anointed' by the Most Reverend Geoffrey Cantuar.

More interesting is that the royal family tree still starts with Woden.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > >
    > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > >
    > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > >
    > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    >
    > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP

When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ydoethur said:

Technically, 'chosen' by God and 'anointed' by the Most Reverend Geoffrey Cantuar.

Curses to your pedantry.

Here's a discussion has the British Royal Family caused more deaths and damage in Ireland than the North Korean Royal Family has in Korea?
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time for City and Liverpool. Leicester putting in a shift
  • Options
    edited May 2019

ydoethur said:

Curses to your pedantry.

Here's a discussion has the British Royal Family caused more deaths and damage in Ireland than the North Korean Royal Family has in Korea?
    If you mean the current Royal Family, no. The number of deaths in Ireland since 1916 or 1901 is not high compared to the casualties of the Korean War alone.

If you mean since the Angevin incursions began in 1169 the answer would be yes, even discounting Cromwell, but that of course was the English royal family for much of its existence (and for around half that time they were French anyway).

If you include only the British royal family, technically since 1707, I'll call a toss-up.
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    If it were actually a traditional monarchy, Kim Jong Un would not be leader now; he would have lost out to his even madder older brother(s?) and be more of a Princess Margaret figure, probably with more nerve agent in his bloodstream.
  • Options
    > Technically, 'chosen' by God and 'anointed' by the Most Reverend Geoffrey Cantuar.
    >
    > More interesting is that the royal family tree still starts with Woden.
    >
    > Curses to your pedantry.
    >
    > Here's a discussion has the British Royal Family caused more deaths and damage in Ireland than the North Korean Royal Family has in Korea?

Of the worst rulers in history in terms of deaths caused, Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot etc none were monarchs, only King Leopold of Belgium in the Congo comes close to being in the same league.

Oliver Cromwell, a non monarchical ruler, caused more deaths in Ireland than any member of the British royal family
  • Options
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > >
    > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > >
    > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > >
    > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    >
    > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays

And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Curses to your pedantry.

If you mean the current Royal Family, no. The number of deaths in Ireland since 1916 or 1901 is not high compared to the casualties of the Korean War alone.

If you mean since the Angevin incursions began in 1169 the answer would be yes, even discounting Cromwell, but that of course was the English royal family for much of its existence (and for around half that time they were French anyway).

If you include only the British royal family, technically since 1707, I'll call a toss-up.
    Yeah I'm talking about since Henry II and Adrian IV's Bull.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > >
    > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > >
    > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > >
    > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    >
    > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors

I was 23
  • Options
    If Meghan and Harry are looking for baby names may I suggest a name that reflects the UK, Mohammed.

Or maybe Michael Ross, Suits fans will understand.
  • Options
    edb said:

If it were actually a traditional monarchy, Kim Jong Un would not be leader now; he would have lost out to his even madder older brother(s?) and be more of a Princess Margaret figure, probably with more nerve agent in his bloodstream.

Doesn't follow. Jordan, Saudi Arabia etc have a system of election among the sons or brothers of the King. In the Middle Ages in this country the crown could be willed away (and was as late as 1603, discounting the unusual circumstances of 1688).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    > Technically, 'chosen' by God and 'anointed' by the Most Reverend Geoffrey Cantuar.
    >
    > More interesting is that the royal family tree still starts with Woden.
    >
    > Curses to your pedantry.
    >
    > Here's a discussion has the British Royal Family caused more deaths and damage in Ireland than the North Korean Royal Family has in Korea?
    >
    > If you mean the current Royal Family, no. The number of deaths in Ireland since 1916 or 1901 is not high compared to the casualties of the Korean War alone.
    >
    > If you mean since the Angevin incursions began in 1169 the answer would be yes, even discounting Cromwell, but that of course was the English royal family for much of its existence (and for around half that time they were French anyway
    >
    > If you include only the British royal family, technically since 1707, I'll call a toss-up.
    >
    > Yeah I'm talking about since Henry II and Adrian IV's Bull.
    Another example of how unwise it is to hire foreign mercenaries to fight on your behalf against your countrymen.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Another example of how unwise it is to hire foreign mercenaries to fight on your behalf against your countrymen.

The Celts of post-Roman Britain would have talked themselves Horsa warning against it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited May 2019
    @HYUFD said:
    > Monarchy, the dictionary definition ' C ] a country that has a king or queen
    > ​
    > [ U ] the system of having a king or queen:
    >
    > a system of government that has a king or queen, or a country that has this system of government'
    >
    > https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/monarchy

By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.

And not to mention Luxembourg, Monaco, Liechtenstein, various Gulf emirates, Oman, Brunei etc.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2019

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Curses to your pedantry.

The Bull proclaiming St Albans Abbey to be the premier abbey in England?
  • Options
    Is anyone watching City

Touch and go
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Curses to your pedantry.

So there was much Bull involved?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > It's good to know William II, Henry I, Henry II, Edward IV, Richard III, Henry VII and George I were not royal because they or their parents seized power and bequeathed it to them rather than being proper royals.
    >
    > Mind, it seriously buggers my teaching for next week.

Add William I, Henry IV, William III to that list. Maybe Stephen as well.
  • Options
    William I of course was the grandson of a tanner.

William the Bastard to his friends. William the much worse to his enemies...
  • Options
    > @rpjs said:
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > Monarchy, the dictionary definition ' C ] a country that has a king or queen
    > > ​
    > > [ U ] the system of having a king or queen:
    > >
    > > a system of government that has a king or queen, or a country that has this system of government'
    > >
    > > https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/monarchy
    >
    > By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.
    >
    > And not to mention Luxembourg, Monaco, Liechtenstein, various Gulf emirates, Oman, Brunei etc.
    Many of those are Kings in their own languages, the Japanese royal line continues via royal birth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5323092.stm
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Curses to your pedantry.

Laudabiliter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudabiliter
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    > @ydoethur said:
    > It's great here. Sunil reposts one of his regular pieces of nonsense, HYUFD takes it seriously and now we are neck deep in a total load of bollocks.
    >
    >
    >
    > Makes a change from forecasting the result of the 2022 General Election based on polling for the EU elections...
    >
    > At least we're not talking about the B-word.
    >
    > That said, North Korea is still a monarchy by any reasonable definition.

Oliver Cromwell was strongly opposed to monarchy and was succeeded by his son. Plus ca change.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > >
    > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > >
    > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > >
    > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    >
    > I was 23
    Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Oliver Cromwell was strongly opposed to monarchy and was succeeded by his son. Plus ca change.

He was even asked to become king and refused it.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > > >
    > > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > >
    > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > >
    > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > >
    > > I was 23
    > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    >
    >

This was 1966

And City score
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > > >
    > > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > > >
    > > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > > >
    > > > I was 23
    > > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > >
    > >
    >
    > This was 1966
    >
    > And City score

And were the majority of councillors even in 1966 in their 20s, 30s and 40s? I doubt it
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > > > >
    > > > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > > > >
    > > > > I was 23
    > > > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > This was 1966
    > >
    > > And City score
    >
    > And were the majority of councillors even in 1966 in their 20s, 30s and 40s? I doubt it

A good number were
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    algarkirk said:

> @ydoethur said:

> It's great here. Sunil reposts one of his regular pieces of nonsense, HYUFD takes it seriously and now we are neck deep in a total load of bollocks.

>

>

>

> Makes a change from forecasting the result of the 2022 General Election based on polling for the EU elections...

>

> At least we're not talking about the B-word.

>

> That said, North Korea is still a monarchy by any reasonable definition.

Yebbut we were officially a "Commonwealth" back then :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited May 2019
    > > @ydoethur said:
    > > It's great here. Sunil reposts one of his regular pieces of nonsense, HYUFD takes it seriously and now we are neck deep in a total load of bollocks.

I know, it is incredible how literaly he takes things (while getting things wrong about other titles, but that's ok because...because...I seriously don't know why). I've never seen someone so insistent. Oh, it's not literally royal blood so it is unreasonable to refer to something as monarchical. But it is ok to call someone a president when they are not. Right. It's bizarre.

This is like that time someone insisted I was a fool for thinking there could be a link to town car parking and rural bus routes because one is district and one is county, seemingly unaware that unitaries exist and council's justify it that way all the time, then they sought to change the argument to one of amount of funding and centralised pots of money.

> @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > "An
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > In
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > As work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > > > >
    > > > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > > > >
    > > > > I was 23
    > > > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > This was 1966
    > >
    > > And City score
    >
    > And were the majority of councillors even in 1966 in their 20s, 30s and 40s? I doubt it

You're probably right about that, but even if they were you'd not admit it.
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > It's great here. Sunil reposts one of his regular pieces of nonsense, HYUFD takes it seriously and now we are neck deep in a total load of bollocks.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Makes a change from forecasting the result of the 2022 General Election based on polling for the EU elections...
    >
    > >
    >
    > > At least we're not talking about the B-word.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > That said, North Korea is still a monarchy by any reasonable definition.
    >
    >
    >
    > Oliver Cromwell was strongly opposed to monarchy and was succeeded by his son. Plus ca change.
    >
    > Yebbut we were officially a "Commonwealth" back then :)

A Commonwealth Republic under a Lord Protector
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I was 23
    > > > > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > This was 1966
    > > >
    > > > And City score
    > >
    > > And were the majority of councillors even in 1966 in their 20s, 30s and 40s? I doubt it
    >
    > A good number were

So not a majority then
  • Options
    kle4 said:

> > @ydoethur said:

I know, it is incredible how literaly he takes things (while getting things wrong about other titles, but that's ok because...because...I seriously don't know why)

Don't knock him.

I persuaded him to give me odds of 50/1 on Jeremy Hunt being next Tory leader when the bookies were offering 16/1.

All because he said Hunt had no chance.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > John Harris, yet again, cuts through to tell us something genuinely interesting and important:
    > > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > > "And woven into this grimness is another big problem. In 2004, 96.5% of local councillors in England were white; according to recent figures, published just before last week’s elections, the figure was 95.8%. The same stats suggested that over a quarter of councillors were aged over 70, up from 14% 15 years ago, and half were over 60. Two-thirds were men."
    > > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > Interesting, though I wonder to what extent those stats are skewed by two-tiered councils in Tory voting areas?
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > In my experience the most typical councillor is a retired white male over 60, largely because they have more time to do it than those who work full time and have families. In urban areas more of those retired councillors may be from an ethnic minority but the same principle applies
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > As Harris says if we want a broader demographic of councillors we will have to pay them more and give them more power so younger people can consider being a councillor as a career rather than something they have to combine with work or family life or as a stepping stone to becoming an MP
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > When I was invited to be a councillor in 1966 it was unpaid and the councillors were just as good, if not better, than todays
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > And most were still retired no doubt, my point was not an argument about quality, plenty of retired councillors are excellent but how to attract more younger councillors
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > I was 23
    > > > > > Half of councillors are over 60, over a quarter are over 70.
    > > > > > https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/05/national-politics-hope-councils-councillors-local-elections
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > This was 1966
    > > > >
    > > > > And City score
    > > >
    > > > And were the majority of councillors even in 1966 in their 20s, 30s and 40s? I doubt it
    > >
    > > A good number were
    >
    > So not a majority then

No idea and really cannot be bothered nit picking
  • Options
    kle4 said:

> > @ydoethur said:

I know, it is incredible how literaly he takes things (while getting things wrong about other titles, but that's ok because...because...I seriously don't know why)

It was Sandy said that, not me!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Some of these posts are hilarious with all these indented quote arrows...brilliant.
  • Options

Some of these posts are hilarious with all these indented quote arrows...brilliant.

Can we all agree Vanilla are silly pods?

Good night.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    For the record I think the 'monachy = socialism' meme is neither true nor much amusing, since when is jobs for life the defining aspect of socialism, but jesus christ .
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > Anyone betting on the baby's name?
    >
    > I reckon there will be a Prince in there somewhere.

Donald?
  • Options
    City in box seat
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kle4 said:

This is like that time someone insisted I was a fool for thinking there could be a link to town car parking and rural bus routes because one is district and one is county, seemingly unaware that unitaries exist and council's justify it that way all the time, then they sought to change the argument to one of amount of funding and centralised pots of money.

Ha. Just googled that to (re-)read the conversation - town parking vs rural buses are a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine.

You're obviously spot on re: unitaries, but there's also no reason why district or even (assuming General Power of Competence) town councils can't subsidise buses - and some do. Here's a town council that did subsidise a service: https://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/news/13502908.use-it-or-lose-it-bus-passengers-warned-following-subsidy-axe/
  • Options
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > > It's great here. Sunil reposts one of his regular pieces of nonsense, HYUFD takes it seriously and now we are neck deep in a total load of bollocks.
    >
    >
    >
    > I know, it is incredible how literaly he takes things (while getting things wrong about other titles, but that's ok because...because...I seriously don't know why)
    >
    > Don't knock him.
    >
    > I persuaded him to give me odds of 50/1 on Jeremy Hunt being next Tory leader when the bookies were offering 16/1.
    >
    > All because he said Hunt had no chance.

I did not bet with you on Hunt being next Tory leader, I only bet with you that Hunt would not beat Boris in the Tory membership vote.

Given Boris leads Hunt 61% to 33% in the latest Conservative Home Tory members poll last month it is clear if Hunt does become Tory leader it will almost certainly only be through a coronation of Tory MPs, probably with Gove second amongst MPs and dropping out in Hunt's favour
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-4-johnson-61-per-cent-hunt-33-per-cent.html
  • Options
    > City in box seat

It'a 30 years since the lead changed hands on the final day. I have a feeling it might happen on Sunday.
  • Options
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > City in box seat
    >
    > It'a 30 years since the lead changed hands on the final day. I have a feeling it might happen on Sunday.

Brighton v City - Liverpool v Wolves

I cannot see City dropping points to Brighton
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Any new Tory leader has to be a Leaver and not a sudden convert like Hunt .

Otherwise there will be constant whining by Leave voters that they don’t have a true believer in charge !

Let a Leaver deal with Brexit and see how well they do !
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    .> @nico67 said:
    > Any new Tory leader has to be a Leaver and not a sudden convert like Hunt .
    >
    > Otherwise there will be constant whining by Leave voters that they don’t have a true believer in charge !
    >
    > Let a Leaver deal with Brexit and see how well they do !

Hunt could be a gift to the Brexit Party yes, Farage's ideal Tory leader after May and Rudd would probably be Hunt.

The problem with Hunt is while he looks good on paper he has no real conviction and swings in the wind, he is our Mitt Romney.

As a side note my godfather's son in law is the British High Commissioner in Ghana and they had Hunt over with his family and said he was very polite and they got on as he had children roughly the same age as their own but we need someone more decisive now not another Blair and Cameron clone
  • Options
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > City in box seat
    > >
    > > It'a 30 years since the lead changed hands on the final day. I have a feeling it might happen on Sunday.
    >
    > Brighton v City - Liverpool v Wolves
    >
    > I cannot see City dropping points to Brighton

Brighton were awkward for City at Wembley a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited May 2019
    I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
  • Options
    I AM SHOCKED that Farage is just like Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1125447617222066176
  • Options
    Nigel Farage is facing strong criticism from Jewish organisations and a series of other groups after it emerged he repeatedly took part in interviews with a far-right US talkshow host, during which the Brexit party leader openly discussed conspiracy theories, some of which have been linked to antisemitism.

A Guardian investigation has found Farage has appeared at least six times on the show of Alex Jones, who was sued by bereaved parents after claiming a US school shooting was faked, and was banned permanently from Facebook last week.

Among those condemning Farage include a father whose six-year-old son died in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting, and a man whose son died in the London bombings on 7 July 2005, which Jones has claimed were a government plot.

Farage, who led Ukip for many years, quit the party last year because he said he disliked its hard-right, anti-Islam stance under Gerard Batten. However, the website that Jones fronts, Infowars, regularly features anti-Islam stories.

In his various appearances on Jones’s show, Farage discussed themes commonly associated with an antisemitic conspiracy theory that Jewish financiers are behind a plot to replace nation states with a global government.

In the six identified interviews, which date from 2009 to last year, Farage, whose Brexit party is leading polls for the upcoming European elections, repeatedly uses words and phrases such as “globalists” and “new world order”, which regularly feature in antisemitic ideas.
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > Any new Tory leader has to be a Leaver and not a sudden convert like Hunt .
    >
    > Otherwise there will be constant whining by Leave voters that they don’t have a true believer in charge !
    >
    > Let a Leaver deal with Brexit and see how well they do !

Agreed
  • Options
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > City in box seat
    > > >
    > > > It'a 30 years since the lead changed hands on the final day. I have a feeling it might happen on Sunday.
    > >
    > > Brighton v City - Liverpool v Wolves
    > >
    > > I cannot see City dropping points to Brighton
    >
    > Brighton were awkward for City at Wembley a few weeks ago.

Anything can happen in football but Wolves may not be easy for Liverpool
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Nigel Farage is facing strong criticism from Jewish organisations and a series of other groups after it emerged he repeatedly took part in interviews with a far-right US talkshow host, during which the Brexit party leader openly discussed conspiracy theories, some of which have been linked to antisemitism.

A Guardian investigation has found Farage has appeared at least six times on the show of Alex Jones, who was sued by bereaved parents after claiming a US school shooting was faked, and was banned permanently from Facebook last week.

Among those condemning Farage include a father whose six-year-old son died in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting, and a man whose son died in the London bombings on 7 July 2005, which Jones has claimed were a government plot.

Farage, who led Ukip for many years, quit the party last year because he said he disliked its hard-right, anti-Islam stance under Gerard Batten. However, the website that Jones fronts, Infowars, regularly features anti-Islam stories.

In his various appearances on Jones’s show, Farage discussed themes commonly associated with an antisemitic conspiracy theory that Jewish financiers are behind a plot to replace nation states with a global government.

In the six identified interviews, which date from 2009 to last year, Farage, whose Brexit party is leading polls for the upcoming European elections, repeatedly uses words and phrases such as “globalists” and “new world order”, which regularly feature in antisemitic ideas.

The constant guilt by tenuous association is sooooooo boring
  • Options
    > @The_Taxman said:
    > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    >

She may well go but remain in Office until a successor is appointed
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited May 2019
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > City in box seat
    > >
    > > It'a 30 years since the lead changed hands on the final day. I have a feeling it might happen on Sunday.
    >
    > Brighton v City - Liverpool v Wolves
    >
    > I cannot see City dropping points to Brighton

Indeed. And I wouldn't fancy playing Wolves. They've beaten them once already, and have a claim to being the 3rd best side over the recent weeks.
    Edit I see you already made the point! Great minds (or something about fools)....
  • Options
    > @The_Taxman said:
    > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    >

I have an Excel File with the stints of PM:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Av4jQcUMVtBpihAgmPIglhY8IjhZ

Note the dates are +1000 years as Excel's dates start at 1900.

May will tie the Duke of Wellington's first stint on Wednesday.
  • Options
    > I AM SHOCKED that Farage is just like Corbyn.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1125447617222066176

I would not be shocked, Farage straddles that fine line between extremist and mainstream. He is lucky he does not run any sort of administration as his opponents would eat him for breakfast. Being in eternal opposition has its merits as you never get the blame. Even his key role in Brexit does not seem to tarnish him despite it being chaos as he is just a by-stander to the action.
  • Options
    isam said:

You sound like a Corbynite, but like them, you know better about antisemitism than the Board of Deputies who have condemned Farage for his conduct.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

"Investigation", we Googled it and watched some videos.

Almost as bad as the BBC's portentous "the BBC has learned".
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

isam said:

You sound like a Corbynite, but like them, you know better about antisemitism than the Board of Deputies who have condemned Farage for his conduct.
    Not really. Just a feature of PB that is a bit childish and unfortunately becoming more common, is linking anyone who voted a particular way with the most extreme person or policy connected with that vote and trying to troll the poster with it. Is it really that funny or clever the 100th time?
  • Options
    > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    > >
    > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    > >
    >
    > She may well go but remain in Office until a successor is appointed

I agree with you, I suppose it depends if her successor is anointed without competition. Though the last two times we have had a change of PM without a challenge has left us with a lemon as a PM! First we had Brown and then we had more recently May (to be fair to May her challenger in the run off pulled out). A challenged leadership election even if it does not go beyond MPs like the 2016 change in leadership gives her a few more weeks beyond the European elections.
  • Options
    > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    > > >
    > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    > > >
    > >
    > > She may well go but remain in Office until a successor is appointed
    >
    > I agree with you, I suppose it depends if her successor is anointed without competition. Though the last two times we have had a change of PM without a challenge has left us with a lemon as a PM! First we had Brown and then we had more recently May (to be fair to May her challenger in the run off pulled out). A challenged leadership election even if it does not go beyond MPs like the 2016 change in leadership gives her a few more weeks beyond the European elections.

It has to go through hustings and then to the members. I would expect late June at the earliest
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    HYUFD said:

> @Nigelb said:

> Anyone betting on the baby's name?

>

> Anyone give a flying fnck ?

> @Nigelb said:

>

Well it is presently leading the news not only here but in the US, France and Australia too so I would imagine a fair few do

Plenty of moronic halfwitted cretins about
  • Options
    > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    > > > >
    > > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > She may well go but remain in Office until a successor is appointed
    > >
    > > I agree with you, I suppose it depends if her successor is anointed without competition. Though the last two times we have had a change of PM without a challenge has left us with a lemon as a PM! First we had Brown and then we had more recently May (to be fair to May her challenger in the run off pulled out). A challenged leadership election even if it does not go beyond MPs like the 2016 change in leadership gives her a few more weeks beyond the European elections.
    >
    > It has to go through hustings and then to the members. I would expect late June at the earliest

She might pass Neville Chamberlain in length of tenure! There are some real characters in that part of the table as PM!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    > @malcolmg said:
    > > @Nigelb said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Anyone give a flying fnck ?
    >
    >
    >
    > > @Nigelb said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well it is presently leading the news not only here but in the US, France and Australia too so I would imagine a fair few do
    >
    > Plenty of moronic halfwitted cretins about

Not sure 'Anyone give a flying fnck' is a very likely name choice.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    > @rpjs said:
    > By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.

Japan has a king. They call him "emperor" in English but that's obviously wrong, as Japan doesn't have an empire. It's also totally unconnected to the Japanese word they use. He's the King of Japan. I think English translators just say "emperor" to make it sound more exotic.
  • Options
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @rpjs said:
    > > By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.
    >
    > Japan has a king. They call him "emperor" in English but that's obviously wrong, as Japan doesn't have an empire. It's also totally unconnected to the Japanese word they use. He's the King of Japan. I think English translators just say "emperor" to make it sound more exotic.
    >

I don't dispute your logic but have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Japan
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @rpjs said:
    > > By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.
    >
    > Japan has a king. They call him "emperor" in English but that's obviously wrong, as Japan doesn't have an empire. It's also totally unconnected to the Japanese word they use. He's the King of Japan. I think English translators just say "emperor" to make it sound more exotic.
    >

Japan did have an Empire in WW2 though which might provide the explanation why Hirohito was called Emperor rather than King
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    > I AM SHOCKED that Farage is just like Corbyn.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1125447617222066176

He's not just like Corbyn. The shocking truth is that in those interviews - what he said, not what Alex Jones said - he's even loonier than Corbyn. That is saying a lot.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Any news on the prospects of a return of blockquotes to politicalbetting.com?

I can't decide whether I hate the >> or the politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com site most.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

> @Nigelb said:

>

> @Nigelb said:

>

Well it is presently leading the news not only here but in the US, France and Australia too so I would imagine a fair few do

Plenty of moronic halfwitted cretins about
    https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1125465897823539201
  • Options
    A blast from the past, when Ken used to go on TV and not mention Hitler:

https://twitter.com/theleftbible/status/1125319883024162816
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

He's not just like Corbyn. The shocking truth is that in those interviews - what he said, not what Alex Jones said - he's even loonier than Corbyn. That is saying a lot.

There was a time when Alex Jones was a kook but basically harmless. Louis Theroux, and Jon Ronson interviewed him, and whilst Jones had some mad views they weren't particularly offensive or likely to cause harm. The wider conspiracy theorist community was generally like that.

After 9/11 the tone of the conspiracy theorism has become a lot darker, much nastier, accusing victims of terrorism and shootings of being crisis actors, and explicitly political. Now almost anywhere that discusses conspiracy theories is full of Trump supporters, and your run-of-the-mill UFO talk is drowned out with deep-state political rants. What's interesting is that this is not just something that happened organically, but at least in part has been spurred in this direction by state actors who find it useful to direct the attention of an often obsessive group of people for a political aim.

Anyone sensible, and certainly anyone seeking political office, should be steering well clear of Alex Jones.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @The_Taxman said:
    >
    >

The worst prime minister since Lord North was David Cameron, who contrived by his own efforts to lose Europe shortly after almost losing Scotland. In neither case was he the victim of adverse circumstance: no oil price shock, no foreign invasion, no global financial crisis; just Cameron's own decisions. Theresa May is the worst since Cameron, but that is not saying much as she is also the first.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @Nigelb said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > @Nigelb said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well it is presently leading the news not only here but in the US, France and Australia too so I would imagine a fair few do
    >
    > Plenty of moronic halfwitted cretins about
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1125465897823539201

Given mum is American, the range of possible names goes beyond the usual suspects.
  • Options
    John_McLeanJohn_McLean Posts: 71
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > > @rpjs said:
    > > > By that definition, Japan is not a monarchy, and neither was 1871-1918 Germany, Tsarist Russia, etc. etc.
    > >
    > > Japan has a king. They call him "emperor" in English but that's obviously wrong, as Japan doesn't have an empire. It's also totally unconnected to the Japanese word they use. He's the King of Japan. I think English translators just say "emperor" to make it sound more exotic.
    > >
    >
    > Japan did have an Empire in WW2 though which might provide the explanation why Hirohito was called Emperor rather than King

Tradition, Emperor was the nearest earliest translators could describe his position which they used the equivalent of the Chinese ruler. The true power behind the throne was the Shogun regent.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @glw said:
    > There was a time when Alex Jones was a kook but basically harmless. Louis Theroux, and Jon Ronson interviewed him, and whilst Jones had some mad views they weren't particularly offensive or likely to cause harm. The wider conspiracy theorist community was generally like that.
    >
    > After 9/11 the tone of the conspiracy theorism has become a lot darker, much nastier, accusing victims of terrorism and shootings of being crisis actors, and explicitly political. Now almost anywhere that discusses conspiracy theories is full of Trump supporters, and your run-of-the-mill UFO talk is drowned out with deep-state political rants. What's interesting is that this is not just something that happened organically, but at least in part has been spurred in this direction by state actors who find it useful to direct the attention of an often obsessive group of people for a political aim.
    >
    > Anyone sensible, and certainly anyone seeking political office, should be steering well clear of Alex Jones.

Never mind that, just listen to what Farage himself says. This shouldn't be about Alex Jones (of whom hardly anyone in the UK has heard), but Farage. By his own words, he shows himself to be utterly bonkers, completely off the wall. For example:

<i>Jones: “Why is the left allied with radical Islam?”

Farage: “Because they hate Christianity. They deny, absolutely, our Judeo-Christian culture, which if you think about it actually are the roots, completely, of our nations and our civilisation. They deny that. They also want to abolish the nation state – they want to get rid of it. They want to replace it with the globalist project, and the European Union is the prototype for the new world order.”</i>

Or the bit about the 'globalists' wanting war with Russia. This is like the loony letters written in green ink which nutjobs used to send to the newspapers.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > I wonder if the current PM will make it past Gordon Brown's tenure in office. If she goes after the European election it could well mean the worst PM (Brown up until TM) in British history is superseded by the incumbent. It is about 25 days before she exceeds Brown. I have added the wiki link just for fun:
    > >
    > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_tenure
    > >
    >
    > The worst prime minister since Lord North was David Cameron, who contrived by his own efforts to lose Europe shortly after almost losing Scotland. In neither case was he the victim of adverse circumstance: no oil price shock, no foreign invasion, no global financial crisis; just Cameron's own decisions. Theresa May is the worst since Cameron, but that is not saying much as she is also the first.

Brown contributed to Britain's susceptibility to the World Financial Crisis, he created the FSA and transferred powers to it that they failed to exercise whilst neglecting the oversight of financial service organisations. To be fair he did this as C of E rather than PM. Brown made some terrible decisions as PM and was not taken seriously by even journalists, who laughed at him at one No10. press conference.

I don't dispute your analysis of Cameron but like Brown it is a mixed picture.
    I doubt the Tories without Cameron would have achieved power in 2010 and put the country on a more sustainable path. I am sorry people suffered the cuts but they were necessary and I was one of the victims. Cameron certainly screwed up by promising a referendum, he has a first class degree in politics but failed to realise a second term government would probably lose such a vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:

>
    > The worst prime minister since Lord North was David Cameron, who contrived by his own efforts to lose Europe shortly after almost losing Scotland. In neither case was he the victim of adverse circumstance: no oil price shock, no foreign invasion, no global financial crisis; just Cameron's own decisions. Theresa May is the worst since Cameron, but that is not saying much as she is also the first.

2010-2016 was the golden age of government. No-one reading this will see a better government in their lifetime, as I haven't (apart from the very special case of Maggie) in mine.
This discussion has been closed.