Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories are planning to bet everything on getting a majo

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

hey @rcs1000

how's the BTC thing working out for you?

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26333661

edit: *innocent face*

Doing quite well, actually.

Fortunately, my personal bitcoins are safe. And the BTCUSD exchange rate is c. $500.

Delighted to hear it. Were you a BTC bull @ $1,000?
    I think my most expensive bitcoins were bought at $10. And I've been a seller since about $150.

Again you've done brilliantly, well done.

So in summary you believe BTC are vastly overvalued at these levels?
    The problem with the bitcoin is that there is no anchor to its value in reality.

In the case of gold, there are industrial applications that provide a floor.

But a Bitcoin - while mathematically limited in number - is unanchored.

It's only value is what people will pay for it.

And because it is no-one's primary method of exchange it will tend to be extremely volatile.

This may change over time. But it may not.

I would not entrust my life savings to bitcoins.
  • Options
    IndyRef betting.

William Hill have just lengthened their No price to 2/7 (from 1/4). That is the best No price currently available. In fact, it may be the best No price since May 2013 (I would have to dig through the numbers to be certain).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    MrJones said:

@MrJones

Why?

@Nigel

What exactly has she "dished out"?

Your posts can be quite chilling at times.

There was a period when paedophile groups pretending to be gay rights groups were protected by the "right on" of the time. This lead to lots of bad stuff. I'm glad that period is getting a bit of an airing in public.
    Roman Polanski still has his defenders among the elite of the film world. Hence Whoopi Goldberg's argument that drugging and sodomising a 13 year old girl "wasn't rape, rape."

• Options
    taffys said:

Self appointed morality for all - and by the cartload.

Making some kind of apology would have required the NCCL three to stop preaching from their self-erected pulpits, something they would never have countenanced. Their reaction is exactly what the Mail was counting on.

The National Front were a prominent organisation in the late 70's, they used to hand out leaflets outside Stamford Bridge every home game. If they had applied for affiliation to the NCCL and paid the required fee do you suppose Harman & Co would have allowed them to join?

If you think not then that explains why they are in trouble now.
  • Options
    Maybe I am the only one who finds the joy at which others revel in their opponents being the subject of disgusting smears distasteful. I will say no more on the matter.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MrJones said:

@MrJones

Why?

@Nigel

Your posts can be quite chilling at times.

There was a period when paedophile groups pretending to be gay rights groups were protected by the "right on" of the time. This lead to lots of bad stuff. I'm glad that period is getting a bit of an airing in public.
    Roman Polanski still has his defenders among the elite of the film world. Hence Whoopi Goldberg's argument that drugging and sodomising a 13 year old girl "wasn't rape, rape."

Rather strangely, Mia Farrow (who accuses Woody Allen of molesting their young daughter) describes herself as "a close personal friend" of Roman Polanski.
  • Options

Maybe I am the only one who finds the joy at which others revel in their opponents being the subject of disgusting smears distasteful. I will say no more on the matter.

That Tim bloke never used to engage in that kind of thing.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105
    edited February 2014

taffys said:

Making some kind of apology would have required the NCCL three to stop preaching from their self-erected pulpits, something they would never have countenanced. Their reaction is exactly what the Mail was counting on.

The National Front were a prominent organisation in the late 70's, they used to hand out leaflets outside Stamford Bridge every home game. If they had applied for affiliation to the NCCL and paid the required fee do you suppose Harman & Co would have allowed them to join?

As someone else has pointed out Harman and Co were fairly low in the NCCL feed chain in the 70's, and wouldn't have been in a position to prevent or stop anyone joining.

Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, the NCCL doesn't allow affiliation or whatever from political parties.
  • Options

Plenty of Lefties loved Mitchellgate.
  • Options

You should have been here when the Lord McAlpine smears first emerged.

In both instances some posters did not and have not covered themselves in glory.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2014

taffys said:

As someone else has pointed out Harman and Co were fairly low in the NCCL feed chain in the 70's, and wouldn't have been in a position to prevent or stop anyone joining.

Presumably Hewitt, as general secretary of the NCCL between 1974-83, was just making the tea, emptying the bins, that kind of thing.

Harman as the Council's legal officer from 1978 to 1982 looked after the stationary, while Dromey sat on its executive committee from 1970 to 1979 as biscuit monitor, being put in charge of postage when he became Chairman in 1976.
  • Options

In that case, mate, you'd be a rarity on here. Tribal smears and mud slinging are the norm on here-from all sides.
    You have to be honest with yourself, and then condemn Labour's disgusting smears as well.

On the Harman case, I just can't feel sympathy for the woman, or her compatriots in the NCCL. She's not been a friend of the average working class lad for a long time, and if she has to squirm for a while, I'll not be sorry.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

hey @rcs1000

Fortunately, my personal bitcoins are safe. And the BTCUSD exchange rate is c. $500.

I think my most expensive bitcoins were bought at $10. And I've been a seller since about $150.

Again you've done brilliantly, well done.

So in summary you believe BTC are vastly overvalued at these levels?
    The problem with the bitcoin is that there is no anchor to its value in reality.

In the case of gold, there are industrial applications that provide a floor.

But a Bitcoin - while mathematically limited in number - is unanchored.

It's only value is what people will pay for it.

And because it is no-one's primary method of exchange it will tend to be extremely volatile.

This may change over time. But it may not.

I would not entrust my life savings to bitcoins.
    You and I agree entirely about bitcoins then.
  • Options

taffys said:

Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, the NCCL doesn't allow affiliation or whatever from political parties.
    Patricia Hewitt, however, was General Secretary, from 1974-83.
  • Options

taffys said:

Harman was legal officer, Dromey was on the executive and Hewitt was general secretary. So not fairly low in the food chain at all.

Also Harman has said anyone could join if they paid the fee, it doesn't say anything about political groups, though that may be the case and it hasn't been outlined.
  • Options
    Mr. F, Goldberg's comment was as deranged as it is indefensible.

My favourite Harmanism was when she claimed it was sexist to refer to people as 'love' and that it shouldn't happen.

One suspects she's never actually heard of Yorkshire.

Her brand of deluded feminism leads to nonsense such as the call for no women to ever be sent to prison. (I wish I were making that up. The Corston Report from around 2004 suggested women criminals should instead live in little communities of 20-30 and do things like cooking and shopping together. Prison, apparently, it something designed for men).
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited February 2014
    ''Presumably Hewitt, as general secretary of the NCCL between 1974-83, was just making the tea, emptying the bins, that kind of thing.''

Dromey was on the executive committee from 1970 to 1979, according to the Mail. Skinny latte please Jack....
  • Options

My favourite Harmanism was when she claimed it was sexist to refer to people as 'love' and that it shouldn't happen.

Her brand of deluded feminism leads to nonsense such as the call for no women to ever be sent to prison. (I wish I were making that up. The Corston Report from around 2004 suggested women criminals should instead live in little communities of 20-30 and do things like cooking and shopping together. Prison, apparently, it something designed for men).

Mr Dancer, you're being very ungenerous to the Corston report, they pointed out that women who have been victims of violence and abuse are over represented in prisons and that is something that should be taken into account when sentencing them and helping them in prison.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,174
    rcs1000 said:

Scuttled back to the security of the $, eh?

;-)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033

IndyRef betting.

William Hill have just lengthened their No price to 2/7 (from 1/4). That is the best No price currently available. In fact, it may be the best No price since May 2013 (I would have to dig through the numbers to be certain).

Looks like it..

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome/bet-history/no-to-independence/today

Bit of indecision from Hillbillys on April 12th 2013... or a lot of two way business!!

I don't think you can read too much into the betting here.. such low liquidity on Betfair at the moment, and the people who price it up for the bookies are usually traders of other sports or risk managers who just move illiquid markets on a tenner
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164

Mr Dancer, you're being very ungenerous to the Corston report, they pointed out that women who have been victims of violence and abuse are over represented in prisons and that is something that should be taken into account when sentencing them and helping them in prison.
    What about men who are subjected to violence and abuse in relationships? Do they get it taken into account as well, and when getting them help in prison?

And yes, it happens all too often.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    edited February 2014

What about men who are subjected to violence and abuse in relationships? Do they get it taken into account as well, and when getting them help in prison?

And yes, it happens all too often.
    It does, page 3 of the report is an eye opener.

Outside prison men are more likely to commit suicide than women but the position is reversed inside prison;

Self-harm in prison is a huge problem and more prevalent in the women’s estate;

Here's the full report, I know one of the contributors

http://www.justice.gov.uk/publications/docs/corston-report-march-2007.pdf
  • Options

You're the greatest

Don't get lonely up there on the high moral ground
  • Options

There is a brand of feminism that holds very old-fashioned views of men and women (men as violent, sex-crazed beasts, women as angels above them).

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Election 2015 The Battleground.

The Beeb has a piece up with some interesting graphics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25949029
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177
    How desperate is this , Tories trying to claim they are the workers party, nearly as bad a Labour trying it. Two bunches of lying millionaires claiming to represent workers.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/25/conservatives-workers-party-rebrand
  • Options
    To be fair, although I think there's nothing much in these allegations..(the left in the 70s were a bit crazy...who knew?!?)...

Harriet Harman is someone who recently referred to another politican as a 'ginger rodent'...which was pretty low.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Oh dear

@HarrietHarman: When it comes to decency and sexualisation of children, would you take lessons from the Daily Mail? http://t.co/MXmWhOILKQ
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, at the time I was at university women were twice as likely as men to be subject to a psych intervention during trial (ie an expert brought in to diagnose a psych condition as a mitigating circumstance). I'm sure that female victims of abuse are over-represented in prison, and that the same is true of male victims of abuse.

That does not mean the system is not already dramatically slanted towards women, who as well as being likelier to receive a psych intervention tend to get shorter sentences for the same crimes.

it's funny how equality disappears as a noble concept for some when it means toughening up the system for women.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

How desperate is this , Tories trying to claim they are the workers party, nearly as bad a Labour trying it. Two bunches of lying millionaires claiming to represent workers.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/25/conservatives-workers-party-rebrand

The Workers' Party is a bad idea for two reasons

1) It's very North Korean

2) People are going to misuse the apostrophe in Workers', and misuse of apostrophes really gets on my nerves. Which leads to people doing this, which makes me want to go medieval on some people

Cambridge ‘irresponsible’ for dropping apostrophes from new road signs

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/02/cambridge-irresponsible-for-dropping-apostrophes-from-new-road-signs-4287467/
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, at the time I was at university women were twice as likely as men to be subject to a psych intervention during trial (ie an expert brought in to diagnose a psych condition as a mitigating circumstance). I'm sure that female victims of abuse are over-represented in prison, and that the same is true of male victims of abuse.

That does not mean the system is not already dramatically slanted towards women, who as well as being likelier to receive a psych intervention tend to get shorter sentences for the same crimes.

it's funny how equality disappears as a noble concept for some when it means toughening up the system for women.

Read the report!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ''To be fair, although I think there's nothing much in these allegations..(the left in the 70s were a bit crazy...who knew?!?)...''

Absolutely. Its the high handed, arrogant, how dare you right wing sc8m even raise these questions to your moral betters attitude that is the story.

If the NCCL 3 (or 2, strictly speaking) had been humbler - a la Chakrabati - this would would have been done and dusted long ago.
  • Options

Prison, apparently, it something designed for men).

There's an argument that you should reserve imprisonment for those guilty of violent offences who are a danger to the public, rather than as a deterrent and/or a punishment.

In such a system you would not release any violent offender until one was confident that they were no longer a threat to the public. This would be a stricter regime for violent offenders and a less strict regime for non-violent offences, although there would still need to be a system of sanctions and punishments for non-violent crimes, just a bit more imaginative than imprisonment.

While the majority (80%) of violent offences are committed by men, the percentage committed by women is a lot larger than the percentage of the prison population that is female (4.6%, June 2013), so the argument I was going to make about such an approach reducing the relative size of the female prison population is, er, actually false.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I read most of it when it came out. Pretty much every suggestion (that I saw) was about softening the approach on female offenders.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    edited February 2014
    I suspect this has more to do with keeping the 46 from the 22 away from No 10 than what will happen.

There must be many whispers in the halls of Westminster.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    Pulpstar said:

I suspect this has more to do with keeping the 46 from the 22 away from No 10 than what will happen.

Sorry, being dim, but what's a 46 from 22 please?

• Options

There's an argument that you should reserve imprisonment for those guilty of violent offences who are a danger to the public, rather than as a deterrent and/or a punishment.

In such a system you would not release any violent offender until one was confident that they were no longer a threat to the public. This would be a stricter regime for violent offenders and a less strict regime for non-violent offences, although there would still need to be a system of sanctions and punishments for non-violent crimes, just a bit more imaginative than imprisonment.

While the majority (80%) of violent offences are committed by men, the percentage committed by women is a lot larger than the percentage of the prison population that is female (4.6%, June 2013), so the argument I was going to make about such an approach reducing the relative size of the female prison population is, er, actually false.
    A non-violent offender can still be significant danger to the public, though.

• Options
    Mr. Me, as you suggest, it's a coherent intellectual position to argue that only violent offenders should be imprisoned, but you would have to (as you imply) apply that to both genders.
  • Options
    Unlike Salmond and the referendum though CON most seats, NOM is a live possibility so Cameron may be stuck with this empty promise.

I'd expect the Lib Dems to say Coalition or bust and not give supply and confidence if they feel it isn't in their interests. Cameron won't be able to do a deal though as the 1922 WILL come knocking if he does so again... so he'll have to resign.

I'm not on Cameron going before Clegg but that is clearly a value bet with this development.
  • Options
    As an aside, looking at the prison population statistics (PDF, chart 6, page 8), it's fascinating to note that there have been three main periods, since 1900, when the proportion of the prison population that was female has peaked.

The first two were during WWI and WWII, when presumably the male prison population fell because they were given the option of serving in the army, or opportunities for criminality were reduced when in the trenches, etc. The third peak occurred in the Blair era.

Any ideas what that was all about?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

OT

Which country has the highest tax rate?

Well worth a read - the calcs done by PWC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26327114

Only relevant when you know what they are paying tax on. If you take Norway then they pay higher tax but have far higher salaries so are much better off and have higher standard of living than UK. So pointless only showing half the story, but very Tory approach.
    The study is based on a standard $400,000 per annum* salary, to enable comparisons.

When coupled with low corporate tax rates, the UK is a very attractive proposal for those generating taxable income. Excellent news for inward investment.

(*Not that an independent Scotland would have many with an income of $400,000 (well, apart from the handful on the political crony circuit...)
    Think you will find the UK is little better. So as I said total bullshit considering that only a fraction of 1% of the people are included in this piece of rubbish. Show me a real comparison on average wages.
  • Options
    Interesting debate about prison. I think @TSE is right here and that imprisonment should be to protect the public - I didn't approve, for example, of Chris Huhne and his wife being imprisoned. It's a waste of public money and they could be put to better use doing something of community use rather than languishing in jail for three months. If women are more prone to self harm and/or suicide in jail, then we are right to consider that.

I think we lock far, far too many people up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

hey @rcs1000

Speaking of which did you ever setting our bet on UKIP winning that by-election? (I posted an address on one of the threads afterwards but I don't think you were around.)
    13UUaGK8ZDLxjY7RYu2bKEabqjww2KDyxD if you haven't already - I think we said 50 milli-bitcoins.
  • Options
    @isam

That's really quite childish of you - my view differs to you and I am entitled to express it.
  • Options
    Mr. Me, might be linked to ladette culture and similar issues. Female violent crime has risen more rapidly than male violent crime (ironically, it seems equality has meant instead of men becoming more genteel women have [to a degree] taken on the worst aspects of the chaps).
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

OT

Which country has the highest tax rate?

Well worth a read - the calcs done by PWC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26327114

Only relevant when you know what they are paying tax on. If you take Norway then they pay higher tax but have far higher salaries so are much better off and have higher standard of living than UK. So pointless only showing half the story, but very Tory approach.
    The study is based on a standard $400,000 per annum* salary, to enable comparisons.

When coupled with low corporate tax rates, the UK is a very attractive proposal for those generating taxable income. Excellent news for inward investment.

(*Not that an independent Scotland would have many with an income of $400,000 (well, apart from the handful on the political crony circuit...)
    Think you will find the UK is little better. So as I said total bullshit considering that only a fraction of 1% of the people are included in this piece of rubbish. Show me a real comparison on average wages.
    I think that was given later in the extract linked to, for those with 2 children and single people, I think.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

46 signatures from Conservative MPs to signal a vote of no confidence.

1922 is the backbench committee that gets the knife out when they decide they'v had enough of the leader.
  • Options

The way I see it, holding someone in prison, as opposed to serving a sentence in the community, serves three purposes:

1) It is a greater punishment.
    2) To protect the public.
    3) To allow rehabilitation of an offender.

People can agree or disagree with the weightings of these, and an individual can be sent to jail for punishment and not to protect the public.

But whether male or female, a major problem appears to be that rehabilitation services in jail seem (from the outside at least) to be awful. Drugs use in jail being a classic example, and lack of investment in education.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

46 signatures from Conservative MPs to signal a vote of no confidence.

1922 is the backbench committee that gets the knife out when they decide they'v had enough of the leader.
    Thanks!

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

malcolmg said:

People are going to misuse the apostrophe in Workers', and misuse of apostrophes really gets on my nerves. Which leads to people doing this, which makes me want to go medieval on some people

Cambridge ‘irresponsible’ for dropping apostrophes from new road signs

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/02/cambridge-irresponsible-for-dropping-apostrophes-from-new-road-signs-4287467/
    That's "mediaeval" on this side of the Atlantic.
  • Options

Interesting debate about prison. I think @TSE is right here and that imprisonment should be to protect the public - I didn't approve, for example, of Chris Huhne and his wife being imprisoned. It's a waste of public money and they could be put to better use doing something of community use rather than languishing in jail for three months. If women are more prone to self harm and/or suicide in jail, then we are right to consider that.

Had Huhne avoided a prison sentence, it would simply have fuelled the view that there's one law for the well-connected, and another law for the rest.

• Options

Fair enough, sling that in the manifesto.

There will be plenty who point to the fact that recorded crime has plummeted at the same time as record numbers are incarcerated.

I'm not saying they are right - but that is a powerful argument.
  • Options
    If the Conservatives get very close to 326 we could see alot of pork barrels for Northern Ireland (The DUP make no secret of what it takes for them to agree to deals) and DevoMax (No vote) or a currency union (Yes vote) for Scotland...
  • Options

Mr. Me, might be linked to ladette culture and similar issues. Female violent crime has risen more rapidly than male violent crime (ironically, it seems equality has meant instead of men becoming more genteel women have [to a degree] taken on the worst aspects of the chaps).

Might be also worth considering the rise in drug usage and associated crime e.g. prostitution. To the extent it's gender-neutral (or even if druggie male burglars get caught less often than females out on the streets) it might contribute.

• Options
    @HuffPostUKPol: Chris Huhne's release from prison 'undermined confidence' in justice system, says ex-police minister http://t.co/L7268uOvTf
  • Options

I think I agree to a certain level, but for repeat offenders it's really the only option eventually.

Take shop-lifting for example, if shop-lifters even repeat ones never lost their liberty, what deterrence really is there?
  • Options

Mr. Me, as you suggest, it's a coherent intellectual position to argue that only violent offenders should be imprisoned, but you would have to (as you imply) apply that to both genders.

Yes, I expected that the proportion of the prison population that was female would be larger than the proportion of violent crimes that were committed by women, but it's the other way around! Glad I checked the statistics first.
  • Options
    isam said:

IndyRef betting.

Looks like it..

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome/bet-history/no-to-independence/today

Bit of indecision from Hillbillys on April 12th 2013... or a lot of two way business!!

I don't think you can read too much into the betting here.. such low liquidity on Betfair at the moment, and the people who price it up for the bookies are usually traders of other sports or risk managers who just move illiquid markets on a tenner
    A bit more than a tenner. I have put on much larger stakes than that (on the Yes side) without any effect on prices. So, the market seems to be a bit more sturdy than you depict it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the Conservatives get very close to 326 we could see alot of pork barrels for Northern Ireland (The DUP make no secret of what it takes for them to agree to deals) and DevoMax (No vote) or a currency union (Yes vote) for Scotland...

Interesting comment, but why currency union after a Yes vote? Surely that would be seen as backing down? Is it to avoid disruption/hassle in the markets?

• Options
    isam said:

IndyRef betting.

Looks like it..

Also see YES has dropped dramatically from its high as well.
  • Options

@isam

That's really quite childish of you - my view differs to you and I am entitled to express it.

Why bother to say words to the effect of "I am staying out of this debate as I think its beneath me" rather than just stay out of it?

"Oh come on guys are we still talking about this?!"

"Oh guys can we change the subject please?!"
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Interesting comment, but why currency union after a Yes vote? Surely that would be seen as backing down? Is it to avoid disruption/hassle in the markets?

It would be to get the support of the SNP on side until independence to make a workable majority.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Salmond will probably do very well if there is a YES vote at GE2015. If the Lib Dems won't do a deal to pass the Queens speech he could well have Dave over a barrel.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I disagree with that enormously.

If Yes wins there is no way in hell the Conservatives will go for a currency union before the election. If the Lib Dems try that Osborne would be thrilled to paint them as 'soft on Scotland'.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Salmond will probably do very well if there is a YES vote at GE2015. If the Lib Dems won't do a deal to pass the Queens speech he could well have Dave over a barrel.
    Don't rule out a Grand Coalition.
  • Options

It would be to get the support of the SNP on side until independence to make a workable majority.

Pulpstar said:

Ah, thanks, I see. There's not a lot of SNP MPs (though UKGE2015 might well change that on recent data). However, now you mention it, a Yes vote might lead other Scottish politicians in currently unionist parties - or even the entire parties - to reconsider their allegiances to London HQ. So I can certainly see at least some LD and possibly even Labour MPs from Scottish seats joining the SNP in this, at least temporarily, in the interests of getting a better deal and minimising the risk of chaos for everyone.

Caveat: I know it may not happen that way!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Well that nicely gets the Conservatives out of Cameron's EU referendum, even if they do win most seats. Cynical, cynical, cynical.
  • Options
    @SeanF

Really - how common is it for points-switchers to get locked up?
  • Options
    @isam

I didn't write any of those three sentences so please don't put them in quote marks. Thanks.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Well that nicely gets the Conservatives out of Cameron's EU referendum, even if they do win most seats. Cynical, cynical, cynical.

The only party which wants to get out of a commitment to an EU referendum is UKIP, which is why they are working for a Miliband government.
  • Options

@SeanF

If they get convicted, then an immediate, or suspended, custodial sentence is likely. Perverting the course of justice is treated very seriously by the Courts. One can also be ruined professionally. A solicitor, or barrister, for example would very likely be struck off, if convicted of such an offence.

• Options
    edited February 2014

isam said:

IndyRef betting.

Looks like it..

A bit more than a tenner. I have put on much larger stakes than that (on the Yes side) without any effect on prices. So, the market seems to be a bit more sturdy than you depict it.
    Actually Betfair is a little more liquid now.. 166k matched (which of course means 83k has been bet).. still not much on a market that has been up 3 years

2/9 No
    9/2 Yes

All I can say is, having worked in the industry 20 years, odds compilers don't really know anything about political betting, and when there is a bet on markets like this they tend to move it sharpish, on any money really

You say you haven't moved the odds, but the odds have moved your way as Malcomg says.. all Im saying is it wont be because shrewd odds compilers are sitting there thinking "hmm Im not impressed with Osborne", or "I am really impressed with Salmond, I better Cut Yes, and push No out.." it will be someone having a smallish bet on Yes

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Any talk of a majority Tory government will be meat and drink for the Nats..Perhaps their most potent weapon is the promise of a Scotland which never again will have to endure another Tory government.The more a Tory win is talked up,the more the Nats. can benefit.Should there be a poll cross-over in any poll between now and the referendum,showing a Tory lead,even if it's an outlier,I expect Salmon to hammer home the point-Vote Yes and never again suffer from the likes of Thatcher and Cameron ever again.
    Imagine the liberation-it's enough to make you Vote Yes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2014
    Ex-Guantanamo detainee Moazzam Begg arrested by terror police

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-26335261

Well theres a shock.
  • Options

@SeanF

We go through this every so often, and it occurred many times before Huhne. From a quick Google:
    http://www.roadsupervisors.net/shz.news.htm
    http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8122281.Taxi_drivers_jailed_for_=/

And a BBC article here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365818
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited February 2014
    Socrates said:

If I was a Euro-sceptical Tory one thing I'd want some clarity on now would be: When asked about what would happen if he didn't get a majority, he said about the renegotiation / referendum, "If I am PM, this will happen". This was understandable as a coalition red line (no renegotiation+referendum, no deal), but what does it mean if there's no coalition? Does it mean he'll refuse to stay on as PM unless the LibDems will agree in advance to vote for his thing? Or does it mean... nothing?
  • Options
    @Sean - "or suspended"

What proportion get locked up?
  • Options
    Any talk of a majority Tory government will be meat and drink for the Nats..

I wonder if this point is being overstated. Was life any better for Scots under a Scottish dominated labour government than it is under the tories, relatively?
  • Options

If I was a Euro-sceptical Tory one thing I'd want some clarity on now would be: When asked about what would happen if he didn't get a majority, he said about the renegotiation / referendum, "If I am PM, this will happen". This was understandable as a coalition red line (no renegotiation+referendum, no deal), but what does it mean if there's no coalition? Does it mean he'll refuse to stay on as PM unless the LibDems will agree in advance to vote for his thing? Or does it mean... nothing?

He means exactly what he says, as always.

I've never understood this bizarre Kreminology applied to Cameron. He says something - such as the pledge to leave the EPP group - and he does it.
  • Options

Socrates said:

...which leads onto the next question. Assuming it doesn't mean nothing, and further assuming that the LibDems aren't going to go along with this (which they obviously aren't): If the voters vote Conservative, who are they going to get as Prime Minister? Wouldn't this be a useful thing to tell them _before_ the election rather than after?
  • Options
    @Josias

I realise SOME people get locked up.

I merely ask what proportion get locked up? I seems to be the key question.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2014
    isam said:

Actually Betfair is a little more liquid now..

[...]

All I can say is, having worked in the industry 20 years, odds compilers don't really know anything about political betting, and when there is a bet on markets like this they tend to move it sharpish, on any money really

Betfair's fine now, and it's mildly interesting that most books are going out of their way to arb No and keep Yes short. This probably reflects the mix of business - money buyers at short odds aren't usually that interested in waiting for 7 months for a return.

There's quite a few odds compilers about who know plenty about politics. However money will still normally move prices as the markets are usually monitored by others. The biggest problem with offering anything beyond the basics is the effort needed to keep prices current [which usually isn't worth expending, given the numbers of bets taken] - and then a poll breaks and a few of the regulars on here get stuck in anyway ;-)

All that said I expect that as we get closer to the referendum this will be a very robust market indeed.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited February 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

IndyRef betting.

Looks like it..

Actually Betfair is a little more liquid now.. 166k matched (which of course means 83k has been bet).. still not much on a market that has been up 3 years

2/9 No
    9/2 Yes

You say you haven't moved the odds, but the odds have moved your way as Malcomg says.. all Im saying is it wont be because shrewd odds compilers are sitting there thinking "hmm Im not impressed with Osborne", or "I am really impressed with Salmond, I better Cut Yes, and push No out.." it will be someone having a smallish bet on Yes

What is your definition of "smallish"? I don't think it can be the same as mine! ;)

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited February 2014

He means exactly what he says, as always.

I've never understood this bizarre Kreminology applied to Cameron. He says something - such as the pledge to leave the EPP group - and he does it.
    So to be clear, your understanding of this is that assuming the LibDems won't vote for his renegotiation/referendum without a coalition deal (which I think you'll agree they obviously won't) he'll refuse to serve as PM unless he wins a majority?
  • Options
    judgejudge Posts: 2
    If a coalition with the LDs is wrong in 2015, what makes it right for 2014? Cameron is making himself look foolish here.
  • Options

@Josias

I realise SOME people get locked up.

I merely ask what proportion get locked up? I seems to be the key question.

I don't know. But perverting the course of justice is a serious offence.

I get fed up when people treat traffic offences as if they are not serious. Huhne and Pryce's lie to the court led to there being one more dangerous driver on the road (at least until he lost his licence a few months later).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014

So to be clear, your understanding of this is that assuming the LibDems won't vote for his renegotiation/referendum without a coalition deal (which I think you'll agree they obviously won't) he'll refuse to serve as PM unless he wins a majority?

I'm not sure that the LibDems would refuse, but that's up to them obviously. From the point of view of the Conservatives, I can't see any leader, be it Cameron or someone else, able to retain the support of the party as PM without a referendum. The party has, with varying degrees of reluctance, agreed to unite around a position of a referendum in the next parliament. It's probably the case that a majority of the party, or certainly a substantial minority, would prefer a referendum earlier, and I can't see them accepting a further delay beyond the next parliament (assuming the party is in government, of course).

So, yes, I think it would be a deal-breaker.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Well you are just going to put off women with that approach - look at the very different ways men and women communicate in the pub. I have no idea whether it's nature or nurture but there's a clear difference. I agree that sometimes confrontation is necessary Sean but disagree that it should be the standard approach - often finding consensus is more beneficial.

I actually think it's rather sexist to say men are confrontational and women are consensus-driven. The reality is that "consensus politics" usually ends up as a stitch-up from the political class, whether it's the ANC in South Africa, the EU in Europe, or Wall Street giveaways in America. Politics should be about political argument and one side winning out. Messing through fence-straddling just ends up with poor inertia and mediocrity.

Obvious, start a new political party.

Not a particularly reasonable option, seeing as the voting system, media coverage quotes and electoral spending limits all prevent a new player making an impact. Look at the issues UKIP have: they're the third most supported in the country but might not even be allowed in the debates. Outrageous.
    Sean_F said:

I'm seeing the very same attitude on this board. Clearly this PIE group were disgusting and everyone in the broader civil liberties group should have fought for them to be excluded. But people are making all sorts of excuses for those in senior leadership positions.
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear

@HarrietHarman: When it comes to decency and sexualisation of children, would you take lessons from the Daily Mail? http://t.co/MXmWhOILKQ

Yes, a photo of a girl in a bikini is clearly just as bad as legalising sex with them. Stupid bloody woman digging herself deeper.

In the last few years we have had case after case of criminal gangs systematically holding young teens and preteens in sexual slavery. Many of their victims will never be able to hold down a proper romantic relationship in their lives. Yet half of the sickos behind these crimes will be free men again in their 20s. How on Earth is that locking too many people up? Also, look at the English riots a few years back. A huge chunk of them had twenty previous convictions! If you had that many chances (not to mention the ones you weren't caught for), it's insane to allow these people to be free to commit more crimes. It would be best for society if these people were just stuck behind bars and everyone else could get on with their lives.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2014
    Totally O/T - but just seen this report about decreasing electoral voters in Westminster wards with high value houses. If the underlying data is publicly available for London boroughs it would be fascinating to see to get some idea of potential demographic change.
  • Options
    Peter Bone has issued a statement re the story on the front page of the Times

My own personal horror story at the hands of the Police – Peter Bone MP

http://wellingboroughconservatives.org/my-personal-nightmare-at-the-hands-of-the-police/
  • Options

@Sean - "or suspended"

What proportion get locked up?

I don't know.

However, the Sentencing Guidelines indicated that a four month sentence is the absolute minimum for Perverting the Course of Justice.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/perverting_the_course_of_justice/
  • Options

Any talk of a majority Tory government will be meat and drink for the Nats..Perhaps their most potent weapon is the promise of a Scotland which never again will have to endure another Tory government.

This is the strongest argument of all, IMHO. A region 83% of which votes for socialist parties is so disconnected from a normal country's political outlook that it shouldn't be in a union of any kind with any other country than Cuba or North Korea. I realise that neither of those would want Scotland either of course.

The Yes campaign really, really, really should be making more of this - "We'll never get the soviet government we all want unless we secede"; "in the UK, they have Tories - vote Yes for Scotland not to"; and so on.

Nobody thoughtful can really be taken in by any of the economic arguments for a Yes, given how much of the Scots electorate is in fact economically inactive (or state-dependent - same thing). The argument that would really resonate is that they are different.

It would make joining the EU later a harder sell, but as this can't happen anyway, that point is moot.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I agree with Nick Palmer downthread; Dave has stuffed up here by not rebutting this pronto.
    So his pitch in 2015 is that the Tories have a great plan for the country but that the Government they've been leading has been so bad to be unacceptable to continue.

Dave seems to me to have lost his focus recently. "Money is no object" was totally the wrong message in the floods given the economic situation, he's backing himself into all manner of corners over his EU renegotiation, and his "my way or the highway" moment today seems to have no basis in reality. I just wonder if his heart is still in it, wearied by yellows to the left and Bones to the right, and whether he's considering retiring, possibly next year?

As a LD this is a bit of a gift. Makes the Tories look isolated and extreme. It's one thing for his backbenchers to threaten to vote down any deal, but in the cold light of day, particularly that they would get their referendum, how many would actually vote for opposition? In making this pledge now it's just throwing away all the wriggle room he needs.

It would be interesting if the only viable coalition next time would be Con:Lab Germany has made this work, and it's probably the only way of getting the long term changes made that have to be done, which are politically impossible without both of the big two on board. The LDs would love a period as the official opposition to regroup.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    One in five are unable to get to see a GP in Bradford

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11033519.One_in_five_are_unable_to_get_to_see_a_GP_in_Bradford/?ref=var_0

I've being posting on this and predicted it would be a problem,when you let more people into the country with less resoures,your asking for trouble.

I posted about trying to make a appointment for my poorly mother and got to health centre early only to find a Queue of mainly Eastern Europeans and when I finally got to the reception,was told no more appointments and try again tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong,I don't blame the new arrivals,I blame the thick politicians who couldn't see this happening.
  • Options

Peter Bone has issued a statement re the story on the front page of the Times

My own personal horror story at the hands of the Police – Peter Bone MP

http://wellingboroughconservatives.org/my-personal-nightmare-at-the-hands-of-the-police/

That's a robust and well written piece by Mr Bone. The police have obviously leaked the story to the Times - his mother in law's care is obviously a sensible and personal matter. And care is not cheap hence the £100k headline follows...

Someone from the police has acted quite disgracefully in this matter - Mr Bone could have easily leaked the story in a sympathetic light himself instead he's chosen to keep his powder dry over a deeply deeply personal matter.

The police (And I am normally the first to defend them) are in the wrong here, that story should never have been leaked to the press (1000-1 it was Mr Bone's solicitor who leaked it/ 1-1000 the police) .

As I said on the surface it looks like the police are quite disgracefully in the wrong here but my initial instincts have been wrong before (Plebgate).

Journalists will be journalists but the Police should act like the bloody police not some two bit tramp leaking her kiss and tell to the press.
  • Options
    I'm with Dante on the seriousness of perverting the course of justice: falsifiers are deep in the depths of hell:

http://msshooksenglishclasses.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/5/6/12566818/804192989_orig.jpg
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Harman gives another interview... she says 'I have nothing to apologise for' but she does regret PIE's link to NCCL
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Speaking of which did you ever setting our bet on UKIP winning that by-election? (I posted an address on one of the threads afterwards but I don't think you were around.)
    13UUaGK8ZDLxjY7RYu2bKEabqjww2KDyxD if you haven't already - I think we said 50 milli-bitcoins.

EiT - I think it's you and @isam I owe money to.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm with Dante on the seriousness of perverting the course of justice: falsifiers are deep in the depths of hell:

http://msshooksenglishclasses.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/5/6/12566818/804192989_orig.jpg

Agree - but their crime is one of damaging our criminal justice system, not one of being dangerous drivers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No potential rUK prime minister is going to agree to a currency union just to get into Number 10, after a YES vote.

A formal currency union is economically absurd and dangerous for the rUK. We would be liable for Scotland's banks (currently 12 times the size of Scotland's GDP) - and much else.

More importantly, it would be politically impossible to sell a union. Most MPs wouldn't want it, and of course polls show that the pubic hates the idea. And this aspiring, double-dealing PM would soon be facing those voters, again - as the independence deal is done, and rUK inevitably has another General Election as the Scots MPs leave SW1.

"Vote for me, I was so desperate to get into Number 10, I broke my solemn promise, and jeopardised the British economy, just so I could have about six months in power".

Yeah, right.

None of the Scottish banks would be Scottish post-independence.

RBS would remain British (with a smallish Scottish subsidiary)
    Clydesdale is already owned by National Australia Bank
    Halifax BOS would remain British

I suspect Standard Life would choose to become a British company too.

This discussion has been closed.