Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories are planning to bet everything on getting a majo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories are planning to bet everything on getting a majority – if they don’t they won’t do a coalition deal

The big GE2015 development overnight is the Telegraph story that the Tories are planning to go into the election with a manifesto commitment not to enter a coalition deal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    - "Where I seriously question the CON strategy is that the blues would be creating the conditions that could boost ANTI-CON tactical voting"

CCHQ have clearly not looked at the calendar. There is an election taking place on 18 September that they definitely do not want to turn into an 'are you for us or agin us' contest:

- Are you a Tory? please tick No
    - If you are not a Tory, please tick Yes

... cos we all know how that will end up.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't believe anything anyone says before the election about who they'd work with afterwards. The day after the election is a completely different world. If the coalition has just been reelected on more or less the same numbers, it won't be hard for Cameron to argue that he didn't want to do this but the voters insisted.

I guess the thought is that if they're polling around Con +2, they'll be able to fool voters into thinking they should vote Con for stable government. Obviously this will really make NOM more likely, but FPTP is a weird mirror world where if you want the seats to be able to do something, you have to say you plan to do the opposite.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If there is a hung parliament, and if there is a minority government, then there will be ad-hoc day-to-day negotiations and deals with various different parties to get legislation through and to get business done, just as there was 1976 to 1979. The Lib Dems - even if they are refused the chance of participating in a coalition with either Conservatives or Labour - will know that they will need to behave responsibly and not just vote against everything.

After all, there will be a 5-year parliament anyway, so they might as well learn to be co-operative regardless of which side of the House they sit on.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited February 2014
    So, "the Tories are planning to bet everything on getting a majority", are they?

I seriously doubt it, cos if they were willing to put their money where their mouths are, we would not be seeing PP prices like these in Tory-held seats:

Hastings and Rye (Con Maj = 1,993)

Lab 1/4
    Con 2/1

Morecambe and Lunesdale (Con Maj = 866)

Lab 1/7
    Con 4/1

Weaver Vale (Con Maj = 991)

Lab 1/6
    Con 5/2

If the Tories have got the faintest hope in hell of a Con Maj in 2015 they would need to hold those three seats (and lots of others like them) with comfortably increased majorities. So the fact that Labour are currently priced at shoo-in prices like 1/7 just shows that nobody with serious money has the slightest faith in Con Maj.

I'm assuming that "swingback" has already been priced into the market.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I think that the picture at the top of the thread has changed since I wrote my comment at c.4:01am (when a gremlin prevented it from appearing)
  • Options
    Cameron overestimates Merkel’s vim for EU reform
    - The real error is to overrate her capacity to deliver change, even if she wanted it

Ms Merkel is the most important European leader, someone worth dazzling with London’s grandeur for a diplomatic end, but she is not Charlemagne. She has less latitude within Germany, which has less clout within Europe, than many Tories believe. As they set off on their fanciful project to remake a union of 28 nations and 500m people, they need a plan that does not start and end with her.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/509a0a0a-9d42-11e3-83c5-00144feab7de.html#axzz2uJ4gxyJU
  • Options
    If, there is to be no coalition agreement in the event of a minority at the next election, then politics just got that little bit more interesting. – hope the Lib Dems weren’t too attached to their ministerial limousines.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Where does this leave Nick Clegg?

Much more vulnerable, I would suggest. He is unwanted by Labour, and unusable by Torys. Not good for him.
  • Options
    In betting terms, are you on NOM or a coalition?

The two are now more different than they were yesterday.
  • Options
    Will labour come out and say the same?

Two parties squeeze the life out of the third?
    That would also rule out a 'rainbow coalition' smashing the dreams of other minor parties.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Although I can see why they might say such a thing for electoral reasons, it would be a shame politically if a coalition was ruled out if one could/had to be made in a NOM situation. This LD/Conservative coalition has provided a much better government than I expected, and has been remarkably cohesive.

It would be a shame if, in a NOM situation, there was not a coalition deal.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Where does this leave Nick Clegg?

Much more vulnerable, I would suggest. He is unwanted by Labour, and unusable by Torys. Not good for him.

If I were a member of the Lib Dems, I'd be a lot more worried about being unwanted by the electorate than by another political party. And the question of exactly what usability the Lib Dems have has always puzzled me. They just don't seem to have any clearly and commonly understood aims and objectives. They are quite literally useless.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    As its in the press, I suppose the story must be true! This sounds like something which has been planted by by anti-coalition backbenchers.
  • Options
    'Cameron's Cabinet visit to Scotland gives nationalists home advantage in independence stakes'

... When Mr Cameron brought his Cabinet to Aberdeen, he met oil industry leaders – but met virtually no voters, allowing Mr Salmond to crow afterwards: “This jetting in and jetting out again, I think it’s counter-productive. I thought David Cameron was just not confident enough to debate against me – it turns out he is not confident enough to debate with the people either.”

... If the Prime Minister expected to come to Scotland and win over the locals simply by dispatching his ministers to various events in the area then flying out again, he seemed to have underestimated the Scottish Government’s ability to create an impression of its own.

... Mr Salmond was determined to win every part of this confrontation with Mr Cameron on Monday and, at least as far as the people of Portlethan were concerned, he seems to have succeeded.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hamish-macdonells-sketch-camerons-cabinet-visit-to-scotland-gives-nationalists-home-advantage-in-independence-stakes-9150391.html
  • Options
    John Loony [4.25am] After all, there will be a 5-year parliament anyway I doubt it. I expect the first thing a minority Government would do would be to introduce a Bill to scrap the "5 year" Act. (The other major Party would abstain: the Lords wouldn't dare throw it out, would they?)

EiT [4.11am] I rarely disagree with you, but I do to-day. Cameron (and with him a sort of Euro-Toryism which he tries to make more acceptable to his rank-and-file by being heartless to the workless) was only palatable, as leader, to his Party in the peculiar circumstances of 2005. He isn't any more. They'd probably trade a - quite possibly short - term in opposition for getting a junior and more photogenic version of Duncan-Smith at the helm.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

If there is a hung parliament, and if there is a minority government, then there will be ad-hoc day-to-day negotiations and deals with various different parties to get legislation through and to get business done, just as there was 1976 to 1979. The Lib Dems - even if they are refused the chance of participating in a coalition with either Conservatives or Labour - will know that they will need to behave responsibly and not just vote against everything.

After all, there will be a 5-year parliament anyway, so they might as well learn to be co-operative regardless of which side of the House they sit on.

There's only a 5-year parliament for as long as a majority of MPs will vote that they have confidence in the PM. That most likely ends when either Lib+Lab or Lib+Con think they would do better in a new election. (It's possible Lab and Con would collaborate to screw Lib, but probably not as Lib will probably recover from their 2015 low.)

The trick with the coalition that made it last this long was that it sunk Lib and Con together, so neither wanted to force an election.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The currency an independent Scotland would use and its international status are critical points for debate, and not “bullying” as the First Minister would have it. Mr Salmond has been adept at stoking a sense of national grievance against the perceived perfidies of the English; but he now has no option other than to fight his campaign on territory he had hoped to avoid until much nearer the referendum.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10658157/Alex-Salmond-has-to-answer-some-serious-questions.html
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    "Last year, Mr Cameron told Conservative colleagues that he would change party rules to ensure that in the event of a second coalition being negotiated, the final deal would have to be approved by Conservative MPs before being signed." This is in the Telegraph article and seems to be a much more realistic promise for Cameron to keep his MPs on board.

In the event that the Conservatives fail to get majority but have the possibility of coalition surely he would be able to persuade his MPs that "It is in the national interest to keep Labour out"
  • Options
    @Mr_Eugenides: I see that the BBC has now started reporting the Mail’s reheated Harman-Hewitt paedophile story, framed -obviously- through Hattie’s denial.

Leading the Sky bulletins this morning too

@dizzy_thinks: The most interesting thing thus far in the Harman/Hewitt/Dromey allegation/denials is the lack of a writ. Is it coming?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    O/T Harman got hammered on Newsnight last night..no answers at all..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Mr_Eugenides: I see that the BBC has now started reporting the Mail’s reheated Harman-Hewitt paedophile story, framed -obviously- through Hattie’s denial.

@dizzy_thinks: The most interesting thing thus far in the Harman/Hewitt/Dromey allegation/denials is the lack of a writ. Is it coming?

Has there been a statement from Hewitt yet?
  • Options

Haven't seen one
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Let me get this clear. When a Labour politician refuses to respond to a slur with a writ, it proves guilt. When Rupert Murdoch behaves in the identical fashion, it evidences commercial genius...

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    "Such a course would almost certainly rule out the possiblity of the Lib Dems providing support on a confidence and supply basis."

I would have thought such an outcome is exactly what would happen, with both parties having one or two red lines in a super-slimmed-down agreement.
  • Options
    IA..Was Murdoch the Deputy Labour Leader..? or just a newspaper publisher
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Haven't seen one
    There is a possibility they will go after Hodge next.
  • Options
    FPT - does Rod Crosby have it within his being to avoid putting a sinister ellipsis at the end of every post?

On topic... Story is totally baffling. The Liberals should see this as a major snub, make a pact with Labour, cut, and run.
  • Options

IA..Was Murdoch the Deputy Labour Leader..? or just a newspaper publisher

They both have (in his case) or hope to have (in hers) power.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    There is something very unpleasant about how the Harman story is being framed by the Daily Mail , a filthy rag at best, Much as I can't stand the woman, I think she is being unfairly attacked, which is why I was so surprised at how terribly she interviewed on Newsnight.
  • Options
    Another genius strategy from Dave and the crew of the Titanic. The o e thing that might save some Lib Dem MPs is a guarantee that they won't be in coalition with the Tories. Although I'm sure the "national interest" (ie keeping in power) might persuade them otherwise after a hung election, the more Dave disowns the pox the more likely that anti-Tory voters (ie the LDs former electorate) could possibly be persuaded to vote for them.

The one hope that the Tories had for actually winning seats was in Con/LD marginals. Until now.
  • Options

There is something very unpleasant about how the Harman story is being framed by the Daily Mail , a filthy rag at best, Much as I can't stand the woman, I think she is being unfairly attacked, which is why I was so surprised at how terribly she interviewed on Newsnight.

A filthy rag that at it's best exposed the Stephen Lawrence killers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    This seems a very odd tactic by Cameron. I can fully understand that he would offer his MPs a say on a Coalition deal and he will obviously want to campaign for a majority but what is the up side of saying that he does not want a coalition again?

Surely he wants to campaign on the basis that the Coalition government under him has been a success, delivered stability in the national interest and (by the election) a strong recovery? What does he gain by dissing it?

A few muttered asides about the frustrations of coalition are entirely appropriate although a tory has to be careful there too because it can so easily be portrayed as "we would have been really nasty if only the Lib Dems had let us" whatever the truth of the matter. But dissing such a successful government and stating that what was done in the national interest is no more so just seems, well, odd.

Presumably a reflection of the frustration some of his backbenchers who think they really ought to be ministers by now but this will cause problems down the line for little upside.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Nonsense, the alleged killers were already identified. The Mail just put their names on its front page, calculating (correctly) that they would not be sued. It was a commercial decision designed to sell more newspapers.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I think we need more than a story in the "Telegraph" to backup this position.

However if true and if carried through it is a bad error from Cameron.

Cameron agreed to a Coalition to provide the nation with stable government for five years and with the job half done is he now going to a reject it and force on the nation a weak minority government left at the vagaries of the majority in parliament ?

Worse still will be the response of the markets whose default position is to reject uncertainty which is the essence of minority government.

Cameron's and indeed Miliband's position should be :

We're fighting hard for a majority but we respect the voters not placing a majority in one party hands and will act in the national interest accordingly.
  • Options
    IA ..What has having or wanting power got to do with Harmans Liberty group taking money from a child molesting organisation, and welcoming them as an affiliate group The Mail (whether you like it or not)has every right to ask the question.. some answers would be a good idea, Harman was the Legal Officer at the time, did she not scrutinise applicants.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    The story is just yet more posturing by Cammie, somewhat unsurprisingly. It's framed by Cammie merely supposedly wanting to do this not that he will or it even close to being decided yet.

Why more posturing now?

To appease the eternally unhappy tory backbenches just in case Merkel doesn't give Cammie enough scraps from the table when he begs her to save him from his own Eurosceptic MPs by throwing him a bone.

Come nearer the election this coalition posturing will all soon be forgotten of course.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    IF Cameron says he won`t form a coalition government after the next election and will govern as a minority administration,what prevents him getting rid of the Lib Dems and governing as minority Tory government now?
  • Options
    I must admit to feeling a little Schadenfreude about these allegations. I mean, if Harman, Dromey et al wanted sympathy now, then why were they silent when the McAlpine libel came out, until the Newsnight investigation came crashing down in flames?

They demand the benefit of the doubt now, but they were all too willing to allow the media (and their leftist friends) to smear and slur an innocent, elderly and ill man.

As I recall a couple of Labour MPs said something early on in the McAlpine saga to defend him, and need commending for it. But the rest of the sick, sleazy party was all too willing to go along with it.

Likewise, they are all too keen to jump on a bandwagon with the Mitchell saga as well, when it was obvious from the moment the police log was released that something fishy was up.

Either they realise the media of all stripes does this sort of thing all the time (and the links between the NCCL and PIE are far whiffier than any against McAlpine) and demand everyone has the benefit of the doubt, or they agree that everyone is fair game.

People who use the press to smear others - as Labour tries time and time again, including its own people - cannot really complain when negative stories occur about them.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    Am sure Nick Clegg and other Liberal Democrats are relieved that the claims in the Times that Peter Bone's mother-in-law hid assets in order to get benefits are, according to Mr Bone "without foundation".
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Its still a filthy rag that plays on people's prejudices.
  • Options

Nonsense, the alleged killers were already identified. The Mail just put their names on its front page, calculating (correctly) that they would not be sued. It was a commercial decision designed to sell more newspapers.

At the time I was not aware they had been identified, it was the Mail that expose that named them, complete with pictures that first made me aware of them.

Of course it was a commercial decision, they are a business after all. As you say they correctly calculated that they wouldn't be sued, do you think they have done the same with this story?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Just watched the Harman interview, it's like the Michael Howard interview in slow motion. Can't see why harman couldn't just have made an apology, wrapped it up as a story and moved. Odd.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Am sure Nick Clegg and other Liberal Democrats are relieved that the claims in the Times that Peter Bone's mother-in-law hid assets in order to get benefits are, according to Mr Bone "without foundation".

I can't help thinking Mr Clegg is itching for Peter Bone to ask him a question.
  • Options

IA ..What has having or wanting power got to do with Harmans Liberty group taking money from a child molesting organisation, and welcoming them as an affiliate group The Mail (whether you like it or not)has every right to ask the question.. some answers would be a good idea, Harman was the Legal Officer at the time, did she not scrutinise applicants.

First you complain about her current behaviour, then you moan about what she did (or didn't do) as a young woman. There's really no pleasing you. Which of the following would satisfy you?

- HH saying "we all regret in maturity some of the things we did or didn't do as young people";
    - HH saying "this clearly shows that I am unfit for purpose and I must commit hara kiri at once"
    - HH saying "my suicide won't be enough. The government should build gas ovens and put everyone to the left of Nick Clegg in them."

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Perhaps Salmond's view is the correct one: Cameron is posturing as he did with the currency union - once the 2015 election is over, he'll do what's best for the party and go into a coalition with anyone, no matter what he says now. He's a politician, you know.

Odd interview by Harman about the NCCL. Anyone could join with no questions? Even the BNP? Even racist groups? Why not just say that they looked at the cheque rather than the opinions?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    JackW said:

Cameron agreed to a Coalition to provide the nation with stable government for five years and with the job half done is he now going to a reject it and force on the nation a weak minority government left at the vagaries of the majority in parliament ?

Worse still will be the response of the markets whose default position is to reject uncertainty which is the essence of minority government.

We're fighting hard for a majority but we respect the voters not placing a majority in one party hands and will act in the national interest accordingly.

Exactly and is the tory position really going to be that we faced a national crisis in 2010 but now we are only borrowing £75bn a year! Easy street!

The next government will need to implement cuts that were deferred from this Parliament to allow the recovery to get going. It will need a solid majority and base to do so. It will not be any position for a minority government. This is really quite silly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    philiph said:

Will labour come out and say the same?

Two parties squeeze the life out of the third?
    That would also rule out a 'rainbow coalition' smashing the dreams of other minor parties.

Hell no. The main purpose of politics is to provide improved government, not to do anything in particular to one or more minor parties.

The story is a symptom of the basic problem that Cameron has lost control of his backbenchers. He is being driven by them into one weird position after another - another juicy one was the referendum in 2017 on the treaty that nobody thinks will exist by then. But the resulting message is going to be very peculiar - "The government has been so good that you should vote Tory for more, and so bad that we promise not to do it again".
  • Options
    @zoesqwilliams: I can't believe they're having a conversation about Harriet harman in which all participants basically agree with the daily mail #r4today
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

Exactly and is the tory position really going to be that we faced a national crisis in 2010 but now we are only borrowing £75bn a year! Easy street!

The next government will need to implement cuts that were deferred from this Parliament to allow the recovery to get going. It will need a solid majority and base to do so. It will not be any position for a minority government. This is really quite silly.
    Silly ? Cameron ? How could you think such a thing ?
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

IF Cameron says he won`t form a coalition government after the next election and will govern as a minority administration,what prevents him getting rid of the Lib Dems and governing as minority Tory government now?

Cameron would be unilaterally breaking the Coalition Agreement and he'd almost certainly be subject to a no confidence vote and the charge that he's placing party interest above the national interest and placing the recovery in danger by insisting on a weak minority government.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and an interesting turn of events indeed. I suspect there may be several reasons behind it.
    1) keeps Tory MPs happy and starts to stiffen the resolve of party workers. Much is made on here of falling membership but as in Scotland, the party is beginning to realise there are lots of people willing to give the party some help at election times without having to sign up to party membership
    2) puts pressure on Orange book LibDems, especially those at risk of losing their seats
    3) creates clear blue water from the Tim Farron/Vince Cable ex-Labour LibDems
    4) may be preparing for a post IndyRef YES vote when for David Cameron and chums it will be all about England and Wales
    5) a deal may already have been done with the DUP/UUP.

The Harman/Daily Mail row is interesting and today a new one is appearing between Peter Bone and the Times. I have no particular view on the truth or otherwise of either story. However in both cases the MP concerned has got the backs up of a great many people, in Hattie's case because of her "man hater" attitude to so many issues and in Peter Bone's case just by his constant unpleasant references on so many issues.
  • Options
    Again I'd emphasize we need to cautious about this story but would Cameron really rather a Lab/LibDem Coalition if the scores on the doors were :

Con 290 .. Lab 285 .. LibDem 45 .. Others 30
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Might this not be a recognition of reality?

The blue backbenchers have never liked being in bed with the yellows. If Cameorn 'wins' (largest party, no outright majority) the PCP will probably prefer minority government or a second election over a second coalition.

It also avoids the need to discuss whether manifesto promises are 'red line issues' (ie not up for negotiation in a coalition deal).

However, the downside is pretty clear, as outlined above.
  • Options
    Labour's women problem just keeps growing - how many now are they losing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26334501#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    If everyone gets a dose of the vapours every time there is a pre GE positioning leak we'll all be on the laudanum before next May.

Called spin innit ?

So back to Salmond and his plan F....
  • Options
    Stand back so you aren't all trampled in the rush to support Peter Bone by the way...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    This very deniable quote free story is more about internal Tory party politics, so as to reassure the right wing eurosceptics, hence it appearing in the Torygraph.

It also specifies Cameron, so leaves open a coalition headed by another leader. I suspect that if the Conservatives cannot form a majority govt, they would prefer a Labour minority govt that would most likely collapse fairly quickly. This would put them back in power within a year or two.

I think the LDs would not be keen on coalition either, prefering to lick their wounds in opposition. A second LD Tory coalition would risk them being absorbed by the Conservatives as a new form of National Liberals.
  • Options
    PS brogan mentions internal Tory polling - why not backlash on whether this is real or not ?.
  • Options
    I hope not, Bad Al will be tweeting like mad again, whilst promoting his books at the same time...

Tom Newton Dunn‏@tnewtondunn·23 mins
    "This is all about Ralph Miliband. Dacre is still livid," says senior Labour source on Harman. Possibly, but also says much about Team Ed.
  • Options

This very deniable quote free story is more about internal Tory party politics, so as to reassure the right wing eurosceptics, hence it appearing in the Torygraph.

It also specifies Cameron, so leaves open a coalition headed by another leader. I suspect that if the Conservatives cannot form a majority govt, they would prefer a Labour minority govt that would most likely collapse fairly quickly. This would put them back in power within a year or two.

I think the LDs would not be keen on coalition either, prefering to lick their wounds in opposition. A second LD Tory coalition would risk them being absorbed by the Conservatives as a new form of National Liberals.

Yes indeed. Go to the top of the class.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think that women seem to go off parliamentary life fairly quickly in all parties, who all seem to struggle to keep able women as MPs. The only ones with longevity seem to be those with the hide of a rhino such as Maggie or Harriet.

It suggests that our political system with its oppositional rather than collaborative nature, and Westminster bubble hothouse is institutionally sexist. Professions such as my own have reformed tremendously over the decades to eliminate institutional barriers to women, but our government does not seem willing to do so itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26334501#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

• Options
    Good day to bury non-news.

Social Market Fdtn‏@SMFthinktank·1 min
    We will live tweet from @ChrisLeslieMP's speech to the SMF on Labour's review of public spending this morning. Follow us & use #SMFLeslie
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    TGOHF said:

If everyone gets a dose of the vapours every time there is a pre GE positioning leak we'll all be on the laudanum before next May.

Called spin innit ?

So back to Salmond and his plan F....

How many voters did your hero Cameron and his cowardy custard group meet yesterday or were they just up to meet fellow millionaires.
  • Options

It's not just a Labour problem. Indeed, I expect Tory and Labour women ex-MPs to get together after the next election to denounce the "boys' club" atmosphere, layout of the Commons benches and so on and so forth.

A solution was proposed, a generation ago, by, of all people, Teresa Goman: halve the number of Parliamentary constituencies and have them elect two MPs each - one male, one female. I have yet to see an argument against this - as opposed to sniggers. Maybe I'll be luckier to-day. Or not (given that this site is even more male than the HoC itself).

• Options
    IA.. I havent seen anyone asking Harman to commit suicide, just an explanation and perhaps some form of apology..I wonder if an extreme political group would have been accepted as affiliates..maybe it would if the money was right.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, I'm not sure I agree with that. Democracy requires choice, and choice requires disagreement. If parties all agree on something then that might make Parliament a cosy place to work, but it robs the electorate of any real choice.
  • Options

It's not just a Labour problem. Indeed, I expect Tory and Labour women ex-MPs to get together after the next election to denounce the "boys' club" atmosphere, layout of the Commons benches and so on and so forth.

A solution was proposed, a generation ago, by, of all people, Teresa Goman: halve the number of Parliamentary constituencies and have them elect two MPs each - one male, one female. I have yet to see an argument against this - as opposed to sniggers. Maybe I'll be luckier to-day. Or not (given that this site is even more male than the HoC itself).

I think you miss my irony.... it was a Tory-only problem as far as Team Ed and chums were politicking just a few short weeks ago.
  • Options
    According to Radio 4 Harman's office have made a statement that includes the word 'regret'.

The devil will be in the details ...
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, are you being serious?

It's artificial. Enforcing 'representative' democracy (not along racial or sexual orientation lines, though) would mean we'd end up lumbered with a load of quota-filling second-raters because they happened to have a particular set of reproductive organs.

The layout of the Commons is far better than limp-wristed 'consensus-building' semi-circles we see in such bastions of democracy as the EU (pah). It indicates clearly that the sides are in opposition. They disagree, and in that disagreement offer choice to the electorate (sadly, not enough, as we see with the political consensus on aid, and green issues).

Buggering up the Commons just to make it more PC would be unutterably ridiculous.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited February 2014
    CD13 said:

Perhaps Salmond's view is the correct one: Cameron is posturing as he did with the currency union - once the 2015 election is over, he'll do what's best for the party and go into a coalition with anyone, no matter what he says now. He's a politician, you know.

Odd interview by Harman about the NCCL. Anyone could join with no questions? Even the BNP? Even racist groups? Why not just say that they looked at the cheque rather than the opinions?

History is going to prove Salmond right about an awful lot of things.

History is going to prove that Cameron was just posturing about an awful lot of things.

History is going to prove that an awful lot of senior Labour politicians just looked at the cheques and didn't give a flying f*** who was writing them (eg. Better Together). Tammany Hall de nos jours.

• Options

I think you miss my irony.... it was a Tory-only problem as far as Team Ed and chums were politicking just a few short weeks ago.
    Indeed that was less than bright of the Opposition front bench.
  • Options
    On topic, it's all about detoxifying the Lib Dems in the eyes of Labour voters. The Tories desperately need a fair chunk of that 8% that's moved from LD to Lab to go back again.

Yes, there's a risk of tactical voting but that assumes that the prime motivation is 'keeping the Tories out', and for those to whom that does apply, they'll already be voting accordingly. There really aren't all that many voters who are so engaged and motivated. Besides, as things stand, the big Yellow-Red swing has done the job of sorting the tactical voting all by itself.

On the subject of tactical voting, it's very akin to the discussion on negative campaigning yesterday (in fact, it is negative campaigning): it only works when voters believe that there's a threat to be stopped and that they have a vehicle with which to do it.

To that end, it would be a mistake to believe on the basis of 1993-2005 that there's a permanent anti-Tory majority in the sense of a cohesive movement. There is of course a non- (and hence, implicitly, anti-)Tory majority but then there's also an anti-Labour one, an anti-Lib Dem one, and so on. The notion of a confluence of interests between the Lib Dems and Labour came about because of an unusual period when New Labour was centrist and the Tories were tired and divided. In reality, swing voters will tend to gravitate against the less popular of the two main parties. It was Labour's ascendency that produced the illusion of the anti-Tory coalition; once the Conservatives gained an advantage, it largely melted away (or at least, became a one-way street, from Lab to LD - which itself proved a gross tactical blunder).

If the Conservatives can reassert a reasonable lead against Labour, the anti-Tory tactical voting will take care of itself.
  • Options

Mr. Foxinsox, I'm not sure I agree with that. Democracy requires choice, and choice requires disagreement. If parties all agree on something then that might make Parliament a cosy place to work, but it robs the electorate of any real choice.

If we do need the kind of cuts that will return social provision to what it was under Arthur Balfour, then perhaps we had better forgo "real choice" and have a Grand Co-alition make them so that we can (almost) all be sure that they are driven by reality and not ideology.

• Options
    Mr. Dickson, once upon a time history was going to see England and France united by Henry V. Trying to predict how people will view things in hundreds of years is rather difficult. Almost nobody escapes a period of praise or censure (except Trajan, obviously).
  • Options
    @JoeWatts_: Harman now expressing "regret" for link between NCCL and PIE. This drip, drip towards an apology is hugely magnifying the damage to her.
  • Options

Just watched the Harman interview, it's like the Michael Howard interview in slow motion. Can't see why harman couldn't just have made an apology, wrapped it up as a story and moved. Odd.

Not odd at all Alan - an apology is an admission of guilt and she isn't guilty of anything, so why would she apologise?
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, won't the cuts return spending to what it was during the first or early second term of Labour?

Little chance of a Grand Coalition when Labour cannot bring themselves to vote even for a £26,000 cap on a benefits.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    DavidL said:

This seems a very odd tactic by Cameron. I can fully understand that he would offer his MPs a say on a Coalition deal and he will obviously want to campaign for a majority but what is the up side of saying that he does not want a coalition again?

Surely he wants to campaign on the basis that the Coalition government under him has been a success, delivered stability in the national interest and (by the election) a strong recovery? What does he gain by dissing it?

A few muttered asides about the frustrations of coalition are entirely appropriate although a tory has to be careful there too because it can so easily be portrayed as "we would have been really nasty if only the Lib Dems had let us" whatever the truth of the matter. But dissing such a successful government and stating that what was done in the national interest is no more so just seems, well, odd.

Presumably a reflection of the frustration some of his backbenchers who think they really ought to be ministers by now but this will cause problems down the line for little upside.

He is fully aware of the relative positions of the opposition and the enemy!

He has never been forgiven for forming a coalition (cf. NClegg not being forgiven for being its junior partner). I think he is saying to his backbenchers, and perhaps some Kippers also,that there is actually a proper Tory PM in there, waiting to be unleashed.

It's a touch unkind to the LDs but then the LDs have never shied away from asymmetric attacks on their coalition partner so perhaps there's also an element of "you can push us only so far..." in this.
  • Options

History is going to prove that Cameron was just posturing about an awful lot of things.

History has already proven that Salmond was posturing about a lot of things and Cameron was right.

When will the scales fall from the eyes of the true believers...?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880
    edited February 2014
    I'm curious as to how Clegg will play this in 2015. In 2010 he repeatedly said "we would choose to form a coalition with the party with the most support". That's no longer an option if one of the parties refuses to play ball. What will the LibDems' 2015 pitch be?

Second, though I take david_herdson's point about “detoxifying the Lib Dems in the eyes of Labour voters”, I suspect Clegg would need to stand down for this to be achieved.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Sources clsoe to Ms #Harman say she plans to go on the offensive agaisnt Daily Mail over Paedophile "smears"
  • Options

Mr. Abroad, won't the cuts return spending to what it was during the first or early second term of Labour?

Little chance of a Grand Coalition when Labour cannot bring themselves to vote even for a £26,000 cap on a benefits.

I think you'll find that all Oppositions vote against things they might well condone, if not actually introduce, in Government. After all, you're the one that thinks choice is better than consensus!!!

• Options
    Mr. Abroad, the benefit cap was the softest of soft cuts. Clearly just, affects very few people, yet Labour couldn't back it. it was a bizarre position to hold.

You can't claim you'll cut the deficit if you're happy to hand out more than £26,000 a year to people who do nothing to earn it.
  • Options

Not odd at all Alan - an apology is an admission of guilt and she isn't guilty of anything, so why would she apologise?
    You can apologise for bad judgement. Lots of people have.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JoeWatts_: Harman now expressing "regret" for link between NCCL and PIE. This drip, drip towards an apology is hugely magnifying the damage to her.

I find it odd, and saddening, how stories of this nature excite some people. It has been good to see Carlotta and HYUFD distance themselves from what is a sinister, drooling attempt by a paper with a track record.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Its still a filthy rag that plays on people's prejudices.
    It's a right wing version of the Guardian.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

History has already proven that Salmond was posturing about a lot of things and Cameron was right.

By definition, one must wait until the dust has well and truly settled before one can start writing the histories.

We'll find out who was the clever one and who was the daftie soon enough. So patience dear boy. Patience.

(By the way, Scott P accusing another poster of being a "true believer" is a classic for PBs pot calling the kettle black section.)
  • Options

Harman has no need to apologize unless there is evidence that she explicitly supported the link to PIE.

However she should have been much quicker off the mark to indicate in terms :

The NCCL link to PIE was an error and I regret it ever occurred. PIE was a disgusting organization but we should not allow it to obscure the good work the NCCL did.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Scott_P said:

It's a binary option for ASalmond. He wants independence and we have seen that he is not too fussed how he gets it, what he has to say to the voters, or indeed how little he thinks of those voters in the first place. Crucially, they are today's voters.

If there's a Yes he will have won. Scotlandshire will become an independent country with hundreds of years to refine and sort out currencies and fiscal pacts and what have you. Despite all the woes of eg. Greece and Argentina before that and the others, no one ever suggested they be abolished as countries. Same with Scotland. Whatever follows, however good or bad, it will be an independent nation and that is what ASalmond wants.

Can't argue with that. I would wish they stay but I understand his strategy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

I think that women seem to go off parliamentary life fairly quickly in all parties, who all seem to struggle to keep able women as MPs. The only ones with longevity seem to be those with the hide of a rhino such as Maggie or Harriet.

It suggests that our political system with its oppositional rather than collaborative nature, and Westminster bubble hothouse is institutionally sexist. Professions such as my own have reformed tremendously over the decades to eliminate institutional barriers to women, but our government does not seem willing to do so itself.

Politics - if it's done properly - ought to be confrontational. If some MPs can't stand that, they're in the wrong profession.

• Options
    F1: sorely tempted to lay Rosberg at 8 on Betfair. Might later today. Backed him (there) at 24.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

By definition, one must wait until the dust has well and truly settled before one can start writing the histories.

We'll find out who was the clever one and who was the daftie soon enough. So patience dear boy. Patience.

(By the way, Scott P accusing another poster of being a "true believer" is a classic for PBs pot calling the kettle black section.)

given the febrile atmosphere and deliberate attempts by the paper to confuse and conflate I suspect an apology would be presented as an admission of guilt Alan.

Mr. Abroad, the benefit cap was the softest of soft cuts. Clearly just, affects very few people, yet Labour couldn't back it. it was a bizarre position to hold.

You can't claim you'll cut the deficit if you're happy to hand out more than £26,000 a year to people who do nothing to earn it.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

I think that's 90% right. What you need in Parliament is either a combative temperament or a rhino hide or both. It applies to men too - anyone who's a bit sensitive gets driven out or marginalised quite quickly, unless they're exceptionally talented (Oliver Letwin, Shirley Williams, Ruth Kelly are examples I can think of who are basically mild people who've done well). The survivors are a particular type - many MPs of both sexes on both sides would be absolutely fine in a combat regiment.

It's a type that it's useful to have in leadership in our tough world. But it's not the only type one needs, and British politics probably overselects for it.

• Options

CD13 said:

History is going to prove that an awful lot of senior Labour politicians just looked at the cheques and didn't give a flying f*** who was writing them (eg. Better Together). Tammany Hall de nos jours.

Well if you're looking at history, Scottish history pre-Union is mostly about one bunch of Scots butchering another bunch so they can laird it over the rest. Every so often the english joined in and then thought better of it. It's always interesting the English could accept a king from Scotland but not vice versa.
  • Options
    ... as far as I can make out, nobody has attempted to address my post from the beginning of the thread. Anyone care to try?:

"... we would not be seeing PP prices like these in Tory-held seats:

Lab 1/4
    Con 2/1

Lab 1/7
    Con 4/1

Lab 1/6
    Con 5/2

If the Tories have got the faintest hope in hell of a Con Maj in 2015 they would need to hold those three seats (and lots of others like them) with comfortably increased majorities. So the fact that Labour are currently priced at shoo-in prices like 1/7 just shows that nobody with serious money has the slightest faith in Con Maj."
  • Options
    Salmond fans remind me of the Gordon Brown true believers in 2008 - the media told us for years how wonderful he was even as the facts went against them time and time again.
  • Options

... as far as I can make out, nobody has attempted to address my post from the beginning of the thread. Anyone care to try?:

"... we would not be seeing PP prices like these in Tory-held seats:

Lab 1/4
    Con 2/1

Lab 1/7
    Con 4/1

Lab 1/6
    Con 5/2

If the Tories have got the faintest hope in hell of a Con Maj in 2015 they would need to hold those three seats (and lots of others like them) with comfortably increased majorities. So the fact that Labour are currently priced at shoo-in prices like 1/7 just shows that nobody with serious money has the slightest faith in Con Maj."

Yes, I'll have a go .....

Why haven't YOU bet the house on those Labour odds ?

• Options

CD13 said:

Well if you're looking at history, Scottish history pre-Union is mostly about one bunch of Scots butchering another bunch so they can laird it over the rest. Every so often the english joined in and then thought better of it. It's always interesting the English could accept a king from Scotland but not vice versa.
    I love how you summarise over 800 years of our country's pre-union statehood with "one bunch butchering another bunch". No mention of the gradual evolution of the dynamic and innovative institutions of law and state; of the ground-breaking introduction of universal education (a world first); of the great cultural achievements. You really don't have much time for our country, do you?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

given the febrile atmosphere and deliberate attempts by the paper to confuse and conflate I suspect an apology would be presented as an admission of guilt Alan.

She's heating up the atmosphere by not apologising, the longer it goes on on the worse it looks and the more mud will stick to her. Like other posters I don't see this as being a resigning matter, though the longer she goes on the more she'll start to head to that territory from sheer stupidity. Largely self-inflicted I've got to say.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Sean_F said:

Politics - if it's done properly - ought to be confrontational. If some MPs can't stand that, they're in the wrong profession.

Perhaps if you see the aim of being in politics is to ram your ideas down others' throats. Most, however, would say the point is to improve the country through an exchange and consensus of ideas.
This discussion has been closed.