Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s end the nonsense of sterile PPBs and have proper paid

SystemSystem Posts: 11,729
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s end the nonsense of sterile PPBs and have proper paid for TV political ads

Right from the beginning of commercial TV in the UK nearly 60 years ago political advertisements have been banned. The result is that UK elections are totally different from US ones where TV advertising totally dominates.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    Your last line is the most relevant. When Taylor/Vitol can skew funding on a referendum he cannot even vote in then the Tory and Union money may swamp everyone else from less funded parties such as the LibDems, SNP and UKIP in a GE campaign. Nice idea in theory, one I have had myself, but hard to carry out FAIRLY in real world.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Bloody hell! Did the EUCHR actually side with the British government for once?! :p

Banning ads is good thing, can you imagine the run up to the election seeing endless videos of Dave/George and Ed/Ed... makes me shudder.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited April 2013
    The challenge will be making political ads match the standards of the other ads on TV. Persil cannot intend to wash whiter - it either does, or it doesn't. Then there is the small matter of spending limits to consider.....

Meanwhile, another "bottom of the range" poll : YouGov/Sun poll tonight: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LDEM 11%, UKIP 13%. Another 7 point Labour lead.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited April 2013
    In the United States, the barrage of negative ads on the various TV channels alienates the electorate from politics and politicians rather than engaging them

The same 30 second spots are repeated over and over until voters tune them out.

The size of your wallet can have more impact than your ideas or engaging with people on the ground.

It is a bad idea because elections are treated as playthings by the wealthy and the downright deluded.

Parties and politicians should aim to engage more with voters in person and at meetings rather than expecting them to be passive recipients of TV and radio ads that are based on feedback from focus groups.

I hope we keep our system as it is.

• Options
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0efdcf30-ab5f-11e2-8c63-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2RFy5FAYS

The Scottish National party’s proposal for a currency union between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK would be less stable than the eurozone, UK ministers will argue on Tuesday
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

UK ministers will argue on Tuesday

Excellent. Another AAA master strategy from the incompetent Osbrowne.

If only he could do this every day.

Now all the tea party tories need is yet more amazing polling before their May local election triumph.

*tears of laughter etc.*
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    I think EiT's comment is on the button.

The only ways to increase voter participation in a big way are to have a media that does not treat politicians with such utter disdain at all times (e.g. the Osborne in first class non-story), or compulsory voting.

Having paid ads on TV will not improve politics; it will only improve the bank balances of advert makers and TV companies.

In addition, it would be hard for a TV company to treat a party giving them £5 million in ad revenue to one giving them nothing. Bias will creep in, whether by accident or design.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    OMG! it's 06:30 hrs and I'm awake, yawn. Back to bed!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Mick_Pork said:

UK ministers will argue on Tuesday

Excellent. Another AAA master strategy from the incompetent Osbrowne.

If only he could do this every day.

Now all the tea party tories need is yet more amazing polling before their May local election triumph.

*tears of laughter etc.*

Why do you say virtually the same thing on the site every day?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Why wouldn't we want to copy one of the most discredited and corrupting influences from the U.S,. system?

It's a real puzzle isn't it?

No, it isn't.
    U.S. Presidential Election 2012.

Overall
    Spending

BLUE TEAM
    $1,107,029,174

RED TEAM
    $1,238,072,571

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/
    It would at least have the dubious 'benefit' of crippling smaller parties like the lib dems, greens, UKIP etc. REAL f****ing fast. Even labour and the tories would be bound to get themselves deeper into debt and they aren't exactly running their finances very well as it is.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 22nd April - CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 11%, UKIP 13%; APP -32
  • Options
    flangeflange Posts: 8
    I'm not sure how this would fit in with our publicly-funded impartial state broadcaster.

Also, I'm less sure that the disconnect with the younger generations is due to the media politicians are using, and more to do with the actual message.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Why do you say virtually the same thing on the site every day?

Even more irony. Thanks for that. :)

Don't worry if you are incapable of understanding. It would require you to grasp the story I was replying to, how many times it has already popped up and the ability to apply the same standards to all posters, yes, sadly for you even those who are PB tories.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

Having been way in Australia for three weeks seeing my newest grandchild, it's good to see nothing much has changed on the UK political scene.

Margaret Thatcher died and elements of the nasty party celebrated. The Oz presenters were a little puzzled by it ... it seemed un-British. I tended to agree. I didn't support her politics but that sort of gloating is childish at best.

UKIP look to be with us for a while, and the economy will decide the next election.

Thanks to jet-lag, I can read the early morning posters for a change - no difference there either.

Incidentally, I had to watch Peppa Pig for the first time, and I was struck by how every episode finished with the family rolling on the floor, crying with laughter. Plagiarism from Mr Pork?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

Do you think Britain would be better or worse
    off economically if we left the European Union,
    or would it make no difference?

Better: 34(-1)
    Worse: 30(-4)
    No Diff: 17(+1)
    DK: 18(+2)

Do you think it would be good or bad for jobs
    and employment if Britain left the European
    Union, or would it make no difference?

Good: 35(+2)
    Bad: 27(-3)
    No Diff: 22(+1)
    DK: 17(0)

And do you think you personally would be
    better or worse off if we left the European
    Union, or would it make no difference?

Better: 21(-4)
    Worse: 17(-2)
    No Diff:45(+7)
    DK: 17(-1)

• Options
    CD13 said:

Incidentally, I had to watch Peppa Pig for the first time, and I was struck by how every episode finished with the family rolling on the floor, crying with laughter. Plagiarism from Mr Pork?

Bit cruel to call PB's resident serial labour voting floating voter "Peppa Pig", but don't let the fact that you don't realise where the phrase comes from stop you from whining.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0efdcf30-ab5f-11e2-8c63-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2RFy5FAYS

The Scottish National party’s proposal for a currency union between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK would be less stable than the eurozone, UK ministers will argue on Tuesday

Has the currency union between the Isle of Man and the UK been a problem in the last 30 years. You know, that place that has its own banknotes, is in the sterling zone, and is not in the UK.
    I googled it and found nothing on the potential problems associated with it between Douglas and London. Ever. Surely this is not yet another scare story to instill fear on the plebs and unsound of mind via the MSM? :)

If it is not a problem for the Isle of Man historically then why on earth would it be a problem with one of England's biggest future trading partners? I guess the lack of oil and whisky and Scottish VAT revenues to balance the debt might be an issue, but that is the UK's problem not Scotland's surely?
  • Options

Happy St George's Day to all my fellow English folk!

I wish the English would take pride in their national day. It gets in the way of their Britishness mantra I guess so they are not sure perhaps how hard to celebrate it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm ok with removing the ban on TV advertising IF it is simultaneously coupled with a ban, written into law and requiring a 98% majority in the House of Commons to overturn it, on state funding of political parties.
  • Options
    Did the YouGov on Cammie's Cast iron IN/OUT referendum ask how many believed it?
    Since so many of his own MPs don't seem to trust him he might just have a problem persuading the kippers.
    David Cameron must make EU referendum promise more 'believable', Tory MPs urge

David Cameron must speed up his plans for a referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union, more than 100 Tory MPs have said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9967069/David-Cameron-must-make-EU-referendum-promise-more-believable-Tory-MPs-urge.html
  • Options
    flange said:

I'm not sure how this would fit in with our publicly-funded impartial state broadcaster.

Also, I'm less sure that the disconnect with the younger generations is due to the media politicians are using, and more to do with the actual message.

When you said impartial can I assume you are talking about Channel 4 as the beeb failed the impartiailty test a long time ago. Except that nice David Attenborough chappy, he is always impartial....

• Options
    A very clever cartoon in the Telegraph, and for once it's not by Matt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/cartoon/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JohnLoony said:

The problem with PPBs these days is that they are (a) hidden away at a time where nobody will notice them, (b) on at different times, (c) only 3 minutes long. In the good old days in the 1980s, they were (a) on at prime-time at 9pm just before the news, (b) all on at the same time on all three channels, (c) 10 mnutes long.

I havent seen a PPB in ages. In part the old PPB system worked because there were few channels and far fewer chices. With multiple TV channels and t'internet, it is easy to avoid them, and most will.

If politicians want to get engagement with the public, then it would perhaps help to have something worth believing in and voting for. Its our current crop of zero's going round whipping up apathy, they have only themselves to blame.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    What's the situation elsewhere in Europe?

(Apologies if this comes up twice, but seem to be having trouble with vanilla!)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

Don't be so touchy, Mr Pork, your posts can be very incisive.

But come on, you're a member of the pig family, you do a lot of ROFL-ing, and you can be two-dimensional at times. You are Peppa Pig!

But don't worry, your secret is safe with me.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    CD13 said:

But don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

I doubt that since not one of the PB tories has ever come close to catching on Mr CD13.
    Don't worry, the fact that it will always soar above their heads is most gratifying. ;)
  • Options
    tim said:

antifrank said:

A very clever cartoon in the Telegraph, and for once it's not by Matt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/cartoon/

If only all inherited Baronetcies exhibited the same fecundity as the panda.

Wasn't 'the panda' also originally Steve Bell's visual gag anyway for little Ed?

• Options
    @tim I have no patience with pandas. Any animal with such a restricted diet and with so little interest in reproduction scarcely deserves to survive.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Mick_Pork said:

Why wouldn't we want to copy one of the most discredited and corrupting influences from the U.S,. system?

It's a real puzzle isn't it?

No, it isn't.

U.S. Presidential Election 2012.

Overall
    Spending

BLUE TEAM
    $1,107,029,174

RED TEAM
    $1,238,072,571

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/
    It would at least have the dubious 'benefit' of crippling smaller parties like the lib dems, greens, UKIP etc. REAL f****ing fast. Even labour and the tories would be bound to get themselves deeper into debt and they aren't exactly running their finances very well as it is.

Bit of a contrast to the supposed "primary" in Granita between Blair and Brown that probably cost about 50 dollars in US terms.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    I suspect Mike is being provocative and he has stirred the anticipated reaction. Moving to the American system where elections seem to be all about money is not an obvious improvement.

It does, however, make you reflect on the sterility of our politics. The last few election campaigns by all parties have been entirely composed of manufactured events in front of selected audiences which according to the poles have changed almost no one's mind. The last politician who actually went out to speak to the people in an election was John Major in 1992 with his soap box. That was thought a high risk strategy at the time by someone who was not the favourite at the start.

The risk going forward is that the elections become entirely about the leadership debates which themselves risk going sterile very quickly as the American experience is that everyone focusses on not making a mistake and playing safe producing the same old cliches.

Final thought, why do PBBs have to be so boring? I still remember the Kinnock one, it was excellent. Maybe parties should put more time and effort into them when they can go on Youtube and other internet formats and be seen by a wider range of people. What if the parties produced PBBs like that hilarious "Common People" song about Cameron and Osborne at the last election? I think there is more room for innovative thinking in our current structure.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    On topic, I'd have no problem with ditching PPBs, which are now past their sell-by date, in a multi-channel, multi-media age. I'd be far less keen on paid political advertising.

The US model is instructive. The great deal of advertising is spent not on promoting one side but on knocking the other. While that's less effective in a system with more than two parties, I suspect we'd still see much the same here: negative campaigning is effective. Of course, that might be good news if you're not one of the two main parties and therefore benefit by default by being 'not the others'.

Consequently, the idea that it would raise participation is hopeful at best. Participation in the US is poor by UK standards (admittedly, the registration rules don't help there), and negative TV / radio ads would be more likely to depress turnout than increase it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Herdson, that would be precisely my problem as well. I've said before that I feel a large part in the decline of voter turnout is the substantial level of smearing and negativity, primarily aimed by the left at the Conservatives from 1997 onwards. A US system would massively accelerate this and make it more widespread.
  • Options
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE

Nigel Farage, UKIP leader, on Christ: "I approve of Jesus. He seems a decent sort who liked his wine and the company of riff-raff."
    Amusing? Yes.
    But also curious how many journos are 'suddenly' picking up on old quotes by Farage.
    The very unfortunate words Farage was alleged to have made concerning ethnic minority voters being another case in point.

Some might almost be tempted to think that Crosby may be keeping himself quite busy.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited April 2013

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Herdson, that would be precisely my problem as well. I've said before that I feel a large part in the decline of voter turnout is the substantial level of smearing and negativity, primarily aimed by the left at the Conservatives from 1997 onwards. A US system would massively accelerate this and make it more widespread.

If you change the wording of your post to " at the left by the Conservatives " it would be more accurate .
  • Options
    If, as it seems, the gap between the Conservatives and Labour has closed a bit in the last couple of weeks, is this down to a sympathy reaction to Baroness Thatcher's death or is this down to the welfare debate? Or is it something else entirely?

I guess we'll never know.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    I see Francois has come up woth another super wheeze, an amnesty for trade unionists who have committed acts of violence during a strike. So if you've kidnapped your boss, vandalised his car or set his office on fire don't worry it won't be held on your records. Medef ( french employers federation ) are not happy bunnies.

This should really boost overseas investment.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/social/2013/04/22/09010-20130422ARTFIG00578-vent-de-fronde-generale-contre-la-loi-d-amnistie-sociale.php
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Good morning, everyone.

My view is that without the relentless smears aimed at the Labour Party by the Conservatives and their friends in the press from the 1980s onwards turn-out would be much higher in elections than it is now.

• Options
    Mr. Senior, was it not the left who let immigration rip for the purpose of portraying anyone who disagreed (ie the right) as racist? Indeed it was.

McBride's doings were the work of the left as well. And as for your party, was it not the criminal Huhne who are accused a Cabinet colleague of acting like Goebbels? Was it not renowned cactus murderer Clegg who (pre-election, I believe) said that wanting less European integration (ie Conservative policy) was tantamount to being soft on paedophilia?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    welshowl said:

Bit of a contrast to the supposed "primary" in Granita between Blair and Brown that probably cost about 50 dollars in US terms.

A somewhat unorthodox way to describe it, but money did indeed have a small part to play if we are to believe the tales. Blair supposedly splashing out for rabbit and trendy polenta to establish his trendy modern image with Brown scorning such things and ordering a glass of water so as to be clear this was all about business. Specifically the business of succession, promises and most importantly, when.

All the more curious that Cammie's love of all things Blair extended to making the chancellor seemingly indispensable. Maybe one day he will finally realise that it didn't end well for Blair and Brown and is extremely unlikely to end well for Cammie and Osbrowne either.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    Having read SeanT's Telegraph blog I fear his reasoning is flawed - whether he believes it himself or whether its his interpretation of Osborne's U turn is another matter.

Thatcher did win votes by increasing home ownership, Osborne's schemes/scams wont. That can only be achieved by either house building increasing at a greater rate than the need for them thereby driving prices down or by a transfer of rented housing to owned housing. This happened with Thatcher with right-to-buy but if anything the opposite is happening now with investors removing houses from owner occupation with buy-to-let.

While house prices might be rising now in oligarch, banker and luvvie land that will cause nothing but even greater resentment in areas where elections are actually decided.

And resentment against the 'rich', 'bankers' etc is one thing the Cameroons desperately don't need.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, hard for me to comment on that as I wasn't alive/interested in politics at that time.
  • Options

Mr. Senior, was it not the left who let immigration rip for the purpose of portraying anyone who disagreed (ie the right) as racist? Indeed it was.

McBride's doings were the work of the left as well. And as for your party, was it not the criminal Huhne who are accused a Cabinet colleague of acting like Goebbels? Was it not renowned cactus murderer Clegg who (pre-election, I believe) said that wanting less European integration (ie Conservative policy) was tantamount to being soft on paedophilia?

It was the Conservative Party who after the Cleggasm of the first debate in 2010 called in all their friends in the press to a series of meetings at CCHQ and asked/instructed them to commence a smear campaign against Clegg .

• Options
    Mr. Senior, the two Lib Dem instances are something you've chosen not to acknowledge or defend, which does rather suggest I have a point with them.
  • Options

Mr. Senior, the two Lib Dem instances are something you've chosen not to acknowledge or defend, which does rather suggest I have a point with them.

Mr Dancer , the deliberate attempt by the Conservative party to smear opponents through their tame press is something which you chose not to acknowledge or defend which suggests that I have made a rather stronger point .

• Options
    I agree with Mike. TV and radio political advertising should be allowed.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Wow, that UKIP is very full of white people, do you think they had to add on the token Indian at the end?

Farange in the pub isn't a good look either
  • Options
    tim said:

"Mr. Senior, was it not the left who let immigration rip for the purpose of portraying anyone who disagreed (ie the right) as racist? Indeed it was."

Jesus, someone doesn't understand free movement of Labour within a single market.
    And the conspiracy theory is a delight

Fairly bizarre considering it was Cammie who called UKIP "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists". Even Michael Howard had a go at them calling UKIP "gadflies, cranks and extremists", then piled on the irony by having Crosby do his legendary "are you thinking what we're thinking?" campaign hilarity.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Decentralisation of political power was the Conservatives' plan for re-energising political participation before the election: EU > Westminster > Local government > individuals and communities. Some of that survived the coalition agreement. It's too soon to know if it will have a positive effect.

http://www.conservatives.com/~/media/Files/Activist Centre/Press and Policy/Manifestos/Manifesto2010
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    Didn't someone here (Hurst?) suggest that southern oldies should swap locations with northern jobless?

Well here's a chance to buy a house for £10,000 in a historic market town in a safe northern Conservative constituency:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38005381.html

Impressions that the south-east is doing well economically after it had benefitted most from the Brown bubble and then was bailed out 'by the rest of the country' are a boost to UKIP everywhere else.

And I am aware that the south-east might not have benefitted most from the Brown bubble and that the suggestion that it was bailed out 'by the rest of the country' is contentious.

But they are widely believed elsewhere and what people believe is more important than the truth.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited April 2013
    As people made much of the Government improvement in internals in YouGov the other day, it's worth noting that it's been entirely reversed today. Net approval -32 (6 down), cuts too deep vs too shallow +33 (11 up), cuts good for the economy -15 (down 8), and so on. I do think the Labour lead is slightly down, but the underlying position is unchanged.

On topic, hell no, for the reasons lucidly set out by David Herdson. To reply to Old King Cole, I don't know of any European countries that allows paid PPBs. Generally all parties get some free slots to put their views. For instance, Denmark gives you IIRC 12 minutes per party (regardless of size but the parties that were biggest last time get the slots nearest the election)) and then 45 minutes being questioned politely but in considerable detail on party policy. Works well IMO. They also have a 10-party leader debate, and that works OK too.
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, I agree that the press are too negative. However, all parties have papers that are against them, and you didn't raise specific instances (recently I expressed my opposition to a ridiculous 'story' attacking Clegg for going on holiday). You certainly didn't offer instances of the party leader and a Cabinet minister making direct attacks.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Good morning, everyone.

My view is that without the relentless smears aimed at the Labour Party by the Conservatives and their friends in the press from the 1980s onwards turn-out would be much higher in elections than it is now.

Turnout fell during the New Labour years, not the 1980s.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout45.htm
  • Options

Farange in the pub isn't a good look either

Not sure - it plays to "understands people like me" and if a poll was done on "blokes I'd like to have a pint with" I suspect Farage would come comfortably ahead of any of the Westminster leaders.....

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mick_Pork said:

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE

Nigel Farage, UKIP leader, on Christ: "I approve of Jesus. He seems a decent sort who liked his wine and the company of riff-raff."
    Amusing? Yes.
    But also curious how many journos are 'suddenly' picking up on old quotes by Farage.
    The very unfortunate words Farage was alleged to have made concerning ethnic minority voters being another case in point.

Some might almost be tempted to think that Crosby may be keeping himself

Did Farage really say that about Jesus? As a Christian I heartily approve of his comments!

Still not a KIPper though
  • Options
    Osborne on R4 raising the stakes on the "Sterling Zone" saying the UK does not join currency zones - like the Euro-zone - "unlikely we could make a currency zone work'.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, SNP lunacy continues. Apparently, said a dummy-spitting fellow, if the Scots can't keep the pound they shouldn't have *any* of the UK's debts either:
    "He said: "The chancellor is arguing in his paper that the UK would be the successor state, that it would hold on to the pound and we somehow could not get access to that.

"If that is his position then the UK as a successor state is obliged to hold on to all the debt and we would be liberated from a population share of UK debt of £125bn."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22251103
  • Options

Did Farage really say that about Jesus?

Apparently and the FT's chief political correspondent just 'happened' to pick up on his words from a 2011 book by Farage. So did the Mail fairly recently IIRC.

Curious indeed. ;)

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    tim said:

Off topic - please keep Osborne away from Scotland

You know you're in trouble if you need Dannny Alexander as a McBeard.
    The next master stroke must be to get Van Rompuy & Clegg to explain the benefits of the EU to the British people; that'll soon put UKIP's gas at a peep.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    St George's day - patron saint of winding up leftards.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tim said:

Somebody get Toxic George off the radio.

@oflynnexpress: Os going up to Scotland to rattle sabres and thus help the SNP. How curious. #today

No, no, no. The tea party tories are always right. Omnishambles Osbrowne must be the one being reasonable while anyone laughing at his utterly counterproductive empty threats are lunatic dummy spitters.

Unspoofable ;^)

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    After "man crying at funeral' has dominated the airwaves for a week, "man goes to Scotland" is clearly going to be another game changer

Osborne should just resign during his speech...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @MikeSmithson

"Let’s end the nonsense of sterile PPBs and have proper paid for TV political ads."

Half right Mike.

Ban the PPBs and the political ads.
  • Options

Meanwhile, SNP lunacy continues. Apparently, said a dummy-spitting fellow, if the Scots can't keep the pound they shouldn't have *any* of the UK's debts either:
    "He said: "The chancellor is arguing in his paper that the UK would be the successor state, that it would hold on to the pound and we somehow could not get access to that.

"If that is his position then the UK as a successor state is obliged to hold on to all the debt and we would be liberated from a population share of UK debt of £125bn."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22251103

That's Swinney - no one has said Scotland "can't have Sterling" - only that they would have to negotiate a Sterling Zone and the other party might say "no".

This is typical SNP "automatic" membership of NATO / the EU / Sterling - it turns into "negotiated" membership sooner or later.....and then they claim "we've always said we'd have to negotiate".....

Glad to see Swinney says Scotland's share is £125bn - he was arguing it was £56 bn a week ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22134809
  • Options
    edited April 2013

You know you're in trouble if you need Dannny Alexander as a McBeard.
    The next master stroke must be to get Van Rompuy & Clegg to explain the benefits of the EU to the British people; that'll soon put UKIP's gas at a peep.

After this Scott_P's scottish tory surge must only be mere moments away. ;)
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    On topic: The case wasn't actually about political parties advertising, but third parties. In this case it happened to be an animal rights campaign group, but if the principle had been allowed, that presumably would have opened the gates to rich individuals, or groups similar to US-style SuperPacs, using advertising to influence elections and by-pass spending limits.

There's a very respectable argument, based on the principle of freedom of speech, that such ads should be allowed. But I'm not sure we really want to go there.
  • Options
    More bonkers Thatcher censorship:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22251466

Ding dong!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

It does, however, make you reflect on the sterility of our politics. The last few election campaigns by all parties have been entirely composed of manufactured events in front of selected audiences which according to the poles have changed almost no one's mind.

I was in a recent Any Questions audience.

One of the things that surprised me was how large the audience was, and how glad they were for the opportunity to be a part of the political dialogue, in some small way.

I think that there is great potential for large numbers of ordinary people to become more involved in politics in this country, in a constructive way. To his credit, Cameron did a little in this regard with his Cameron Direct events.
  • Options
    Danny on R5 now.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    tim said:

@Thuniondivvie
    Whose idea was it to send Osborne to Scotland on St George's Day, Salmond's? Sturgeon's?
    And how did they get the govt to agree to it?

I'm hoping George strips off in mid speech to reveal an England strip and a nice new Maggie tat.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Always delightful to hear PB tories wax lyrical about their excitable ideas of the consequences of an independence referendum when the incompetent fop still doesn't have a clue whether he would campaign to stay IN or OUT of Europe for his Cast Iron EU referendum.

I'm fairly sure a trifling small detail like that won't come up in the 2015 GE campaign.
    Certainly not after the tories smash UKIP in the locals and the EU elections... Probably. ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited April 2013

More bonkers Thatcher censorship:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22251466

Ding dong!

I particularly enjoy the second poster ;)

• Options

@redcoiffe62 -the Manx pound is not underwritten by the BoE but is a separate currency pegged at parity with the GBP - is that what the SNP is proposing for Scotland?

The problem with the manx pound coins is that they have no tails

• Options
    Mr. W, wouldn't a one-sided coin be a sphere?!
  • Options
    @TogetherDarling: Just listened to @johnswinney on today. Twice refused to rule out separate Scottish currency after #indyref. Is snp position finally moving?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I see Francois has come up woth another super wheeze, an amnesty for trade unionists who have committed acts of violence during a strike. So if you've kidnapped your boss, vandalised his car or set his office on fire don't worry it won't be held on your records. Medef ( french employers federation ) are not happy bunnies.

This should really boost overseas investment.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/social/2013/04/22/09010-20130422ARTFIG00578-vent-de-fronde-generale-contre-la-loi-d-amnistie-sociale.php

To be fair I think it states that acts of violence are excluded, as are acts that would involve a prison term of 5 years.

Nevertheless, c'est absolument barking, n'est-ce-pas? It's almost as if Hollande wakes up each day thinking "how can I make my country look less attractive to potential employers?"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TogetherDarling: Just listened to @johnswinney on today. Twice refused to rule out separate Scottish currency after #indyref. Is snp position finally moving?

Surely the SNP position hasn't stopped moving?

The implications of this proposed independence malarkey seem to have come as a complete surprise to the SNP. You'd have thought they'd have spent the last fifty years or so figuring out how it might work, but apparently not.
  • Options
    Due to the unique way the BBC is funded...

@michaelsavage: An interview with the Chancellor at a time when his whole economic plan is under pressure and he's asked why he cried AT A FUNERAL. #today
  • Options
    Mr. P, that may be the most stupid line taken that I can remember.

It certainly beats Second Class Conway out. Is it more or less deranged than days of continuous headline coverage of him not asking for or receiving money on a yacht? Tough call.
  • Options
    This guy has lost the plot (and the argument)

@BBCNormanS: Scot Finance Minister John Swinney in tit for tat warning to Coalition - exclude us from £ - and Scotland freed from Govt debt
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Morris_Dancer">Mr. W, wouldn't a one-sided coin be a sphere?!</blockquote>

You need to ask our resident all round numistmatist - Mark Senior - who when not conducting LibDem raids on Harpenden - is I'm sure a world authority on Mank Viking spheroid tokens of the 10th century - otherwise known as Balls !!
  • Options
    Is Swinney going to glue his letterbox shut ? "Ah nuvver goat the bill byrrraway !"
  • Options
    Janan Ganesh on Ed:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b1d4547c-ab37-11e2-8c63-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2RGsr3xGi

And therein lies the real problem with the charge of nebulousness: Mr Miliband is not guilty of it. If anything, his is the opposite fault. He is an astonishingly clear politician, one of the least tentative among postwar opposition leaders. The specific policies are not yet there but then they rarely are two years ahead of a general election. Still, it is already clear that he would tax the wealthy more, govern as an environmentalist and revise at least some of the government’s public service reforms.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Scot Finance Minister John Swinney in tit for tat warning to Coalition - exclude us from £ - and Scotland freed from Govt debt

Is that because in Scott_P world the scottish voters are likely to take the side of Osborne?
    Utterly delusional as we have come to expect from the scottish tory surger.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    I can see no possible set of circumstances that would bring about an "Out" vote in the Scottish referendum.

Why HMG and SNP don't just get round a table and produce some more feelgood Devo-ish policies/concessions and be done with it by the Summer is beyond me.

That will be the outcome anyway - some kind of substantial-ish "Out" vote, a long way short of majority, SNP says "we told you the strength of feeling", HMG says "we care about _everyone_ in the UK, here's another £20billion". Or whatever.

What a huge waste of time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That will be the outcome anyway - some kind of substantial-ish "Out" vote, a long way short of majority, SNP says "we told you the strength of feeling", HMG says "we care about _everyone_ in the UK, here's another £20billion". Or whatever.

Be fair. Are you saying the idiots predicting a tory majority nailed on in 2010 were a waste of time? They were hilarious.

• Options
    The SNP spokesman just described using Sterling as "maintaining the Union".

Err...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    Scott_P said:

Seems like a reasonable point. The amount of debt Scotland will take on would have to be negotiated. If they couldn't agree terms, it would be legitimate for Scotland to refuse to take on any UK debt. Apparently there's some precedent for this: When the USSR broke up, Russia ended up paying off all the debt from the Soviet Union. Meanwhile the rump UK would have fun thinking up things that the UK owned that Scotland wasn't having any of.

Obviously in practice they'd work something out, but it shows the idiocy of all these "What happens if one side decides to be a dick about it" type arguments. There are all kinds of ways the two sides could make things difficult for each other, and they wouldn't. If Scotland still wanted to use the pound, the two sides would cobble something together so Scotland could still use the pound.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    TOPPING said:

I can see no possible set of circumstances that would bring about an "Out" vote in the Scottish referendum.

Why HMG and SNP don't just get round a table and produce some more feelgood Devo-ish policies/concessions and be done with it by the Summer is beyond me.

The SNP have formed the government in the Scottish Parliament two elections running now. They obviously want to hold this referendum and they have earned the right to hold it by virtue of their electoral success.

I also think that one of the lessons of the AV referendum was that public opinion is more open to being changed then we often give it credit for. If the pro-independence side fight a good campaign, and the Unionists a bad one, they can still win the argument and the vote.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, after two Scottish Chancellors and a Scottish Prime Minister lumbered us with this debt and deficit it would not, I suggest, lead to the most cordial possible relations if the Scots then tried to duck out of any responsibility for their share of the debt.

I agree that if separation occurred something would get sorted out, but that sort of dummy-spitting is seriously unimpressive.
  • Options
    On topic (2): It would have been very funny if the UK government had lost the case. The reaction of the Guardianistas, LibDems and Islington Labourites at a decision by the European Court of Human Rights to allow big business, Rupert Murdoch and Lord Ashcroft unlimited scope to place political ads would have been highly amusing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,287
    By the way: watching the UKIP commercial, has anyone worked out how we can make sure the farmers get paid more milk, while ensuring that consumers don't pay more for milk?

And, as an aside, I presume that all imports of fish will be banned under a UKIP government, to ensure that the British fishermen are able to afford to earn a living when competing with industrial fish production in the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I've just backed Raikkonen at 7.4 to take the title. From 7th and 9th he's achieved 1st and 2nd, he's extremely reliable (21 consecutive points finishes) and, with luck, he'll edge ahead of Vettel at some point. [For those interested, I've only backed this with a small stake].
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If Scotland still wanted to use the pound, the two sides would cobble something together so Scotland could still use the pound.
    The issue is the SNP, on this, as on the EU and NATO has tried to argue that continuance of sterling would be "automatic" - it isn't, as one by one the SNP has been forced to concede on the EU and NATO (cue Nat claims of "we always said it would be negotiated.")

Clearly it is in both sides interests that these matters are resolved amicably and to mutual benefit - but pretending its a "no-brainer" as the SNP has done is less than honest...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,932
    Morning all :)

On-topic, I was in Nevada and Southern California last October, prior to the Presidential election. The bulk of the political advertising I saw was not aimed at the Obama-Romney race but was much more about Senate and Congressional races. Local TV stations are much stronger than regional TV over here and in Palm Springs, the local TV channels all carried ads relating to the Congressional race between Mary Bono Mack and Paul Ruiz.

Now, it may be that this advertising is targetted - California is always going to vote Democrat in the Preaidential election while Congressional and Senate races were much more keenly contested. In a state like Ohio, I would imagine Presidential messages were more evident.

Given that we have virtually no regional television left in the UK, I can't see how you could run ads on a constituency by constituency basis so you'd be left with generalised national or regional messages which might be too vague to have an impact (how much effect do billboards have for example?).

In the same way, you couldn't do much with local elections though it might be more effective for something like a London Mayoral election.

I'm not as dogmatically opposed to paid advertising as some but I don't support a free-for-all. There needs, as some have alluded to, to be a "gentlemen's agreement" between and across all parties that advertising should be promotional rather than derogatory (after all, most advertising is promotional, buy my product).

I recognise the contradictory constraint that places with regard to freedom of speech but an informal agreement between parties predicated on improving voter engagement and turnout might be achievable.

• Options
    edited April 2013

Obviously in practice they'd work something out, but it shows the idiocy of all these "What happens if one side decides to be a dick about it" type arguments. There are all kinds of ways the two sides could make things difficult for each other, and they wouldn't. If Scotland still wanted to use the pound, the two sides would cobble something together so Scotland could still use the pound.

Clearly.

What seems to be getting missed by the more excitable PB tories is that there are very clear sides on the independence referendum and no confusion whatsoever over which side the main parties support, whether it be Yes or No.

The same cannot be said for Cameron's supposed EU referendum where the very man who proposed it doesn't even know what side he will support . They will find out the true meaning of fighting over the detail the closer we get to the GE campaign in 2015. Even if UKIP weren't certain to make sure of that Cameron's own backbenchers will.

This discussion has been closed.