Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take Khan to the bank

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take Khan to the bank

The tip I’m about to give is not particularly exciting, or thrilling and it certainly won’t get you rich overnight seeing as the potential payday in question is top price 2-5 and 542 days away at the time of writing this article.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    edited December 2018
    That sounds a good tip, and rational thinking.

Thanks Pulpstar.

Edit: and first.

But as for your last line: if a Labour leadership contest comes up before 2020, is there a small but non-zero chance he'd throw his hat into the ring ala Boris and leave the mayoralty at, or before, the end of his term?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Listening to the boxing, not sure how a man knocked down twice can be so certain to be ahead..
  • OT boxing -- just cashed out on Fury.
  • OT boxing -- just cashed out on Fury.

Which turned out to be a mistake as I'd had a small bet on the draw at 40/1 as well. My bottle went at the thought of a home town decision.
    Pulpstar said:

Listening to the boxing, not sure how a man knocked down twice can be so certain to be ahead..

Why watch or listen to two people fighting? It's barbaric.

If I wanted to watch that sort of entertainment than I'd just go around Kate Osamor's house... ;)
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,712
    Draw
  • Disgraceful result in the boxing. The judge having wilder winning by 4 is about a believable as jezza being a massive I’m a celeb fan.
  • Pulpstar said:

If I wanted to watch that sort of entertainment than I'd just go around Kate Osamor's house... ;)
    What price Kate for Mayor of London? And then Foreign Secretary?

Disgraceful result in the boxing. The judge having wilder winning by 4 is about a believable as jezza being a massive I’m a celeb fan.

How long was Fury down for in the twelfth though
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Disgraceful result in the boxing. The judge having wilder winning by 4 is about a believable as jezza being a massive I’m a celeb fan.

Them gypsy folk are as hard as nails....but my point that particular judge had wilder winning comfortably even before the 10-8 final round which is total horseshit.

Not quite as outrageous as the first GGG vs canelo fight but not far off.

Pulpstar said:

Them gypsy folk are as hard as nails....but my point that particular judge had wilder winning comfortably even before the 10-8 final round which is total horseshit.
    Sounds like a rigged draw

Pulpstar said:

Given Labour has an anti-Semite at its head, it wouldn't surprise me if they chose a violent, selfish and nasty person for such a position ...
  • Pulpstar said:

Given Labour has an anti-Semite at its head, it wouldn't surprise me if they chose a violent, selfish and nasty person for such a position ...
    And you do not condemn the Conservatives who actually did so?
    The 114 110 scorecard is wrong. See twitter

Pulpstar said:

Are you referring to Zac? If so, I don't think he's ever threatened a journalist. Or thrown water over one. Or behaved in quite the way Osamor has.

Boris is a very different matter. And yes, I do condemn him over the Guppy mess. I quite like him, but he should be nowhere near the levers of power - let him keep on submitting ghostwritten columns as a journalist ...

I know you say you're not a Labour member, but you certainly seem keen to 'look, squirrel!' whenever they're criticised ...
  • Pulpstar said:

Are you referring to Zac? If so, I don't think he's ever threatened a journalist. Or thrown water over one. Or behaved in quite the way Osamor has.

Boris is a very different matter. And yes, I do condemn him over the Guppy mess. I quite like him, but he should be nowhere near the levers of power - let him keep on submitting ghostwritten columns as a journalist ...

I know you say you're not a Labour member, but you certainly seem keen to 'look, squirrel!' whenever they're criticised ...
    Not at all. I'm not Labour, or any party, just a punter. And as I posted earlier, the betting angle here is to lay Boris because he is vulnerable on issues the Conservatives attack Labour for. Including this one.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Pulpstar said:

What an embarrassment of a sport boxing is.

Pulpstar said:

Not at all. I'm not Labour, or any party, just a punter. And as I posted earlier, the betting angle here is to lay Boris because he is vulnerable on issues the Conservatives attack Labour for. Including this one.
    Thanks for the kind offer, but I won't 'lay' Boris. He's just not my type. ;)

But look at your reaction to my post: it's typical 'look, squirrel!'. Someone criticises Labour, and you go on about how evil the Conservatives are. Every time ...
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

it's a sport? I thought it was an utterly rigged, corrupt business ?

(And no, I don't like seeing people hitting each other, or think it's a sport.)
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2018

Pulpstar said:

But look at your reaction to my post: it's typical 'look, squirrel!'. Someone criticises Labour, and you go on about how evil the Conservatives are. Every time ...
    Reminding people the Conservatives have form on this exact point, and pointing out a betting angle, is not "look squirrel".

ETA I think we should let this rest. We have both made our points and this sort of tit-for-tat can spoil the site if extended.

Pulpstar said:

Reminding people the Conservatives have form on this exact point, and pointing out a betting angle, is not "look squirrel".
    You response was not a betting post, as it did not refer to anyone likely to be candidate for the Conservatives.
  • Pulpstar said:

You response was not a betting post, as it did not refer to anyone likely to be candidate for the Conservatives.
    Lay Boris to succeed Theresa May as next party leader and prime minister. I'd hardly recommend laying Boris in a market that did not involve him.
  • It's not often you find value in an odds on shot but it is possible and at 2/5 I should say this is an exception. I agree with Pulpstar - 1/10 would be more like it.

Thanks P, I'm on.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Seconded
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I know everyone is on about the 111 115 card, but the 114 110 guy literally can't copy the number 112.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,731

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Seconded
    *puts on best Mr Yeatman voice*

And I third it.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    any polls out last night?

Pulpstar said:

Lay Boris to succeed Theresa May as next party leader and prime minister. I'd hardly recommend laying Boris in a market that did not involve him.
    (fx: sighs theatrically). Which is nothing to do with the posts in question. Mayor of London is not party leader/PM ...
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Seconded
    *puts on best Mr Yeatman voice*

And I third it.
    The thing is, I just don't see the appeal of it as a physical activity, yet alone as a competitive sport. firstly there's little glory in two people knocking two shades of sh*t out of each other, and secondly the capacity and opportunities for corruption are legendary and obvious. It doesn't classify as a 'sport' in either way.

I don't mind wrestling anywhere near as much, although I never really saw the Saturday afternoon wrestling on TV as a sport, either. Entertainment, yes. Sport, no.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    So Theresa, Pop Quiz: what do you do? Publish the full legal advice that admits the EU has an effective veto on our actually leaving the EU - or face contempt of Parliament by not publishing it?

Top BBC story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46416591
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Not very edifying on here this morning.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    IanB2 said:

Don't panic. Brexit groundhog day will be along shortly.
  • It's not often you find value in an odds on shot but it is possible and at 2/5 I should say this is an exception. I agree with Pulpstar - 1/10 would be more like it.

Thanks P, I'm on.

2/5 might be value but March 2020 is literally quite some time in the future, so I shan't be investing. If the vote were tomorrow, the price would be bet-compelling, but it is not even next year.

It's not often you find value in an odds on shot but it is possible and at 2/5 I should say this is an exception. I agree with Pulpstar - 1/10 would be more like it.

Thanks P, I'm on.

2/5 might be value but March 2020 is literally quite some time in the future, so I shan't be investing. If the vote were tomorrow, the price would be bet-compelling, but it is not even next year.
    I think it'll be more like 1-7 the day before the election
  • Good morning, everyone.

Given the result, quite glad I didn't bother dipping my toe into the boxing betting.

Hmm. I might back Khan. I've got a little on Bailey at 61.

Good morning, everyone.

Given the result, quite glad I didn't bother dipping my toe into the boxing betting.

Hmm. I might back Khan. I've got a little on Bailey at 61.

Bailey at 61 is amazing. Well done
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

So Theresa, Pop Quiz: what do you do? Publish the full legal advice that admits the EU has an effective veto on our actually leaving the EU - or face contempt of Parliament by not publishing it?

Publish, say 'woops - I didn't notice that bit' then scrap the deal.
  • Mr. Pulpstar, thanks. I think I backed him the previous time. Unfortunately I only have £2 on (can't remember if I tipped it, but suspect not).

To be fair, I did also back two other Conservative candidates for the same hefty sum.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    IanB2 said:

It will be once Milliband Minor is back in the Shad Cab.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Why isn’t May publishing the advice?
    Jonathan said:

Why didn't Blair publish the advice on the Iraq War?

I think it would be the same reason.
    edited December 2018

The bit that was specifically drawn to your attention by the Attorney General? The bit that was so sensitive, there were numbered copies of the advice given out and collected back because they were so explosive? Whoops indeed.....

Not sure I see any acceptable way out on this. The DUP won't back down, because they are the DUP. Labour won't back down because it's blood sport. The other parties want their "me too" moment. Tories who hate her deal arent going to help out if it says "May's Brexit don't mean Brexit". So you have to think that by some point this coming week, the PM has a toxic piece of advice published. Whilst she is out and about flogging her horse that isn't just dead, it's at the knackers yard being melted down for glue. Result? her "deal" dies by a majority of over two hundred....

Whoops.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure. Theresa May's decision seems quite arbitrary, and to serve no great purpose one way or the other. Whose mind would be changed? Whose vote? No-one's.
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Curious that you immediately equate Brexit to Iraq.
  • Hmm. Does Ladbrokes have a London mayoral market up? Can't seem to find it.
  • OT Bet365 seems to have stopped reverting on Pricewise. They have a £220 million salary to pay.

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure. Theresa May's decision seems quite arbitrary, and to serve no great purpose one way or the other. Whose mind would be changed? Whose vote? No-one's.
    The people whose mind would be changed are those who currently think it it is the best Brexit on offer - if the Attorney General's advice says it is no Brexit because the EU can just avoid getting round to a deal. At best, it utterly compromises our negotiating ability for the (arguably much more important) full trading arrangment for decades to come.

When faced with such a terribly compromised future position, some might revisit whether the short-term pain of No Deal under WTO terms - and a clean slate for the trade talks - might not be a better option after all. Those offered her choice of "Shit sandwich? Or starve?" might just discover they have lost their appetite.
  • Hmm. Does Ladbrokes have a London mayoral market up? Can't seem to find it.

Not that I can see on their site, and Oddschecker does not list one but others are available.
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/london-mayoral-election-2020/london-mayoral-election-winner-2020
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

The comparison is apt.
    Both are national disasters, built on lies, and while initially supported by the public, increasingly understood as a mistake.
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

No, I'm equating the non-publication of legal advice to the government to a recent precedent.

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

The comparison is apt.
    Both are national disasters, built on lies, and while initially supported by the public, increasingly understood as a mistake.
    I suppose you could add that it was narrow support (around 56-44 on Iraq IIRC) but that the London commentariat was overwhelmingly negative.

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

The comparison is apt.
    Both triggered by a Foreign power, in Iraq’s case GW Bush. In Brexit, Putin?
  • Mr. JohnL, cheers.

I'll probably just leave it then, for now at least.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

The comparison is apt.
    Both triggered by a Foreign power, in Iraq’s case GW Bush. In Brexit, Putin?
    Via his former employee Jeremy Corbyn?

(That's a reference to his appearances on Russia Today, btw, not to any conspiracy theories about Corbyn being a Soviet mole.)
    It has to be said, the more I think about it, the more my accidental comparison seems to be apt.

On the other hand, we have a way out here. We just need our MPs to grow up and take it...

Hmm. Does Ladbrokes have a London mayoral market up? Can't seem to find it.

My bet was with Skybet. They limited me to win £50.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Pulpstar said:

They are extremely evil though, so even if avoidance tactics it is truthful
  • So Theresa, Pop Quiz: what do you do? Publish the full legal advice that admits the EU has an effective veto on our actually leaving the EU - or face contempt of Parliament by not publishing it?

The bit that was specifically drawn to your attention by the Attorney General? The bit that was so sensitive, there were numbered copies of the advice given out and collected back because they were so explosive? Whoops indeed.....

Not sure I see any acceptable way out on this. The DUP won't back down, because they are the DUP. Labour won't back down because it's blood sport. The other parties want their "me too" moment. Tories who hate her deal arent going to help out if it says "May's Brexit don't mean Brexit". So you have to think that by some point this coming week, the PM has a toxic piece of advice published. Whilst she is out and about flogging her horse that isn't just dead, it's at the knackers yard being melted down for glue. Result? her "deal" dies by a majority of over two hundred....

Whoops.
    And then brexit dies as we rejoin
  • So Theresa, Pop Quiz: what do you do? Publish the full legal advice that admits the EU has an effective veto on our actually leaving the EU - or face contempt of Parliament by not publishing it?

Whoops.
    ... or never actually leave.
  • Mr. Pulpstar, sounds fair. I mean, they determine the markets, the odds, the options. Can't have anyone winning too much, can we? :p

Whoops.
    Indeed

Whoops.
    If the EU will let us. An important caveat too many people are forgetting and what the headbangers of the ERG and DUP seem to be gambling on.

I would expect the EU to be very anxious to have us abort Brexit, but it will only take one naysayer - say, a deeply unpopular Spanish PM looking for some cheap domestic points, or an Irish PM who doesn't understand the issues, or an ill-judged phrase from a very arrogant but not very bright German in charge of the secretariat - to wreck it and leave us with no deal at all and every flight on the planet grounded.

With that bombshell, I am needed elsewhere. Have a good morning.
  • ydoethur said:

Whoops.
    If the EU will let us. An important caveat too many people are forgetting and what the headbangers of the ERG and DUP seem to be gambling on.

I would expect the EU to be very anxious to have us abort Brexit, but it will only take one naysayer - say, a deeply unpopular Spanish PM looking for some cheap domestic points, or an Irish PM who doesn't understand the issues, or an ill-judged phrase from a very arrogant but not very bright German in charge of the secretariat - to wreck it and leave us with no deal at all and every flight on the planet grounded.

Most seem to forget we are on course to leave with no deal.

That is default and without legislation it clicks in in March 19
  • Theresa Villiers on Sky to be kind to her is naive beyond belief.

Her argument seems to accept there will be disruption if the EU want to behave in an unreasonable way

But we will be fine on WTO
  • ydoethur said:

Whoops.

Yes - surprisingly poor reporting from Keunsberg saying Benn’s amendment “would stop us leaving with no deal”. No it wouldn’t. For that to happen a whole raft of other things have to happen too.
    edited December 2018

Theresa Villiers on Sky to be kind to her is naive beyond belief.

Her argument seems to accept there will be disruption if the EU want to behave in an unreasonable way

As a Remainer....... Rejoiner........ I see May's deal as the best on offer, and one which enable Rejoining in due course. Probably after the next GE.

I completely fail to understand those who say that the disruption probable after March 29th if we have No Deal is in any way acceptable.

Edited for silly spelling.
  • ydoethur said:

Whoops.

Yes - surprisingly poor reporting from Keunsberg saying Benn’s amendment “would stop us leaving with no deal”. No it wouldn’t. For that to happen a whole raft of other things have to happen too.
    It was the BBC who stated that everyone is forgetting that this vote does not change anything. Parliament has to legislate to stop no deal

It has to be said that the media generally are all over the place

As a Remainer....... Rejoiner........ I see May's deal as the best on offer, and one which enable Rejoining in due course. Probably after the next GE.

I completely fail to understand those who say that the disruption probable after March 29th if we have No Deal is in any way acceptable.

It is extreme brexiteer land but fortunately they are massively outvoted in the HOC
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2018

It was the BBC who stated that everyone is forgetting that this vote does not change anything. Parliament has to legislate to stop no deal

It has to be said that the media generally are all over the place

The Media are no different to the politicians and no different to the views expressed on here.. All over the place
  • Mr. NorthWales, political journalism is generally pretty rubbish.

It is extreme brexiteer land but fortunately they are massively outvoted in the HOC
    Outvoted by what? How?

ydoethur said:

Whoops.

Both Benn and Villiers clueless.
  • Mr. NorthWales, political journalism is generally pretty rubbish.

Indeed
  • Nick Boles 'sound of reason' on Sophy Ridge.

Pleasing to see a common sense approach if the deal falls

Outvoted by what? How?
    100 ERG - 550 against

Outvoted by what? How?
    Are you suggesting that you'd be content with the (it is the be hoped) short term disruption which wil inevitably follow No Deal?
  • Gina Miller again saying no deal is default
  • Gina Miller has said a second referendum would have to ask

Deal

No deal

Remain

Adding it has to be fair to everyone
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited December 2018

Embarassing admission: I actually have no idea what "Contempt of Parliament proceedings" are. Just a resolution? Or is there some sort of trial? That would add to the dream-like quality that much of politics currently has.

Clearly as PM you don't want it, but what exactly is the procedure if a majority said "Publish" (and the Government abstained on the vote) and the PM says "Shan't"?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Ah, found it in the Guardian:

Labour sources said that Starmer was ready to sign a joint letter with the DUP’s Westminster leader, Nigel Dodds, the Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesman Tom Brake, and the SNP Europe spokesman Stephen Gethins, asking Bercow to allow a motion “that the government has held parliament in contempt”.

Under Commons rules, if the speaker allows the motion to go before the House and the vote is carried it would then be referred to the committee of privileges which would rule on whether a contempt of parliament had taken place.

If it were decided that a contempt had occurred, the committee could recommend a suitable punishment which would be put back to MPs to agree.

In theory the most severe penalty is expulsion from the House, although the prospects of that happening would appear remote.
    --------
    I do like the very British journalism of that last line - yes, probably the committee won't recommend that the entire government should be expelled.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited December 2018
    A second referendum (with Remain rather than Rejoin) only matters/would be valid, should that option be chosen, if it's credible.

Edited extra bit: namely, the option to Remain has to be able to occur. Which is not certain.
    edited December 2018

Labour sources said that Starmer was ready to sign a joint letter with the DUP’s Westminster leader, Nigel Dodds, the Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesman Tom Brake, and the SNP Europe spokesman Stephen Gethins, asking Bercow to allow a motion “that the government has held parliament in contempt”.

Under Commons rules, if the speaker allows the motion to go before the House and the vote is carried it would then be referred to the committee of privileges which would rule on whether a contempt of parliament had taken place.

If it were decided that a contempt had occurred, the committee could recommend a suitable punishment which would be put back to MPs to agree.

In theory the most severe penalty is expulsion from the House, although the prospects of that happening would appear remote.
    --------
    I do like the very British journalism of that last line - yes, probably the committee won't recommend that the entire government should be expelled.

Just the Prime Minister.

Resigning matter, surely?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited December 2018

It will be smart politics as well putting the national interest first for Labour to support the deal. It is BINO and as you said we can review re-joining at any suitable juncture.

Embarassing admission: I actually have no idea what "Contempt of Parliament proceedings" are. Just a resolution? Or is there some sort of trial? That would add to the dream-like quality that much of politics currently has.

Clearly as PM you don't want it, but what exactly is the procedure if a majority said "Publish" (and the Government abstained on the vote) and the PM says "Shan't"?
    You'd have to think the sanction should be worse than Paisly Jnr. suffered though.

Outvoted by what? How?
    100 ERG - 550 against
    Again - on what motion with a mechanism that stops No Deal?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037

Gina Miller has said a second referendum would have to ask

Deal

No deal

Remain

As someone who thinks Brexit is a calamity, this is the easiest way for Remain to win, splitting the Leave vote. It is rather unfair though...
    murali_s said:

Deal

No deal

Remain

As someone who thinks Brexit is a calamity, this is the easiest way for Remain to win, splitting the Leave vote. It is rather unfair though...
    It has to be a ranked vote.
  • Mr. S, depends. One question, three answers, and you're right.

But if it's a two-phase referendum it'd be perhaps fairer, although that might introduce a bias to the middle.

Q1 Should the UK Remain or Leave?

Q2 If Leave wins, should the UK leave with May's deal, or with no deal?
    edited December 2018

Mr. S, depends. One question, three answers, and you're right.

But if it's a two-phase referendum it'd be perhaps fairer, although that might introduce a bias to the middle.

Phase referendum is not fairer. It is fairer to word it according to the possible outcomes. There are three. We need to pick one.

On April we will

Remain
    Leave with Mays deal
    Leave without Mays deal.

That’s it. Pick one. Or rank them
    murali_s said:

Deal

No deal

Remain

And if the result was Deal 35% No Deal 20% Remain 45% what conclusions could or should be drawn? FPTP gives Remain, of course, but there's 55% for Leaving 'somehow'!
    Or is it going to be an AV election, in which case presumably Leavers would rather vote Deal (and Leave) than Remain, which gets the Deal ahead.

It's the old legal maxim, isn't it; never ask a question (in court) to which you do not know the answer.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I would have suggested there are two options. They both revolve around the deal.

Option 1
    If our elected representatives have rejected the deal by a substantial margin then I see no morally logical case for them to offer us something they consider completely unacceptable, so the choice is leave / remain

Option 2

1st referendum is deal, yes or no.

If no 2nd referendum is remain / no deal
  • Mr. Jonathan, then the winning option could have under 50% (or 52%...) of the vote, undermining legitimacy. Not to mention, as Mr. S did, that having three options, two for Leave and just one for Remain, could well be seen as gerrymandering to split the Leave vote.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,264

--------

Just the Prime Minister.

Resigning matter, surely?
    Interesting. The ERG do not have the numbers to get TMay to resign... But ERG +Labour, SNP & LDs do.

Nick Boles 'sound of reason' on Sophy Ridge.

Pleasing to see a common sense approach if the deal falls

What does he suggest?
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm. Does Ladbrokes have a London mayoral market up? Can't seem to find it.

My bet was with Skybet. They limited me to win £50.
    Not going to be a life-changing win then is it? :wink:
    edited December 2018
    Remainers will mostly rank (remain, deal, no deal)
    Conservative loyalists will split on 2nd prefs, but just about rank (deal, remain, no deal)
    Erg will tend to rank (no deal, remain, deal), but there are less than 48 of them so who cares.
    Other leavers will rank (no deal, deal, remain)

Deal likely to be eliminated in round one, with conservative loyalists just winning it for remain, but it will be close.
    Jonathan said:

Phase referendum is not fairer. It is fairer to word it according to the possible outcomes. There are three. We need to pick one.

On April we will

Remain
    Leave with Mays deal
    Leave without Mays deal.

That’s it. Pick one. Or rank them
    How is that honouring a vote where 52% have already said "Leave"? Or the 2017 General Election manifestos where 86% of the votes were cast for parties pledging to implement Brexit? Go ahead - if you really want to try to break democracy in this country...
This discussion has been closed.