Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What we know about the 2010 LD switchers to Labour – the vo

2»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    edited December 2013
    Mr. Carpet, cheers for running the 2013 prediction contest. The results will be interesting.

Now, to have a look at the 2014 one...

Edited extra bit: just to confirm, that link is for the 2014 pb contest?

Tons of foreign leader questions and a bit less than I'd expect on election stuff.
  • Options
    I should add that the venison was a triumph. The wine has been thick and heady. Soon I will take a Montecristo 2 and drink some Glenmorangie. Bed before midnight though.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    SeanT said:

This is a momentous New Year. I hope that this time in 12 months we are all reconvening after a No vote in Scotland, even though I would probably vote Yes if I lived there.

To Easterross, Fitalass, DavidL etc, we don't share political views, but I am proud you come from the same country as me. May it ever be thus.

Started on the claret, then.
    The poor deer.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

FPT

The Quenelle gesture means "up yours." The placement of the hand signifying exactly how much. Saying it's a reverse Nazi salute is a load of nonsense. It does have some political significance related to some comedian being charged with saying something or other but the gesture itself is quite literally "up yours."

Unfortunately that is not true. The gesture has been widely adopted as an anti-semitic statement with a new 'game' developing where people try and make it in the most provocative place including synagogues and at the wailing wall in Jerusalem.

I am not saying that is a reason to ban it but to try and claim it means something other than the specific anti-semitic implication is rather naive.
    Actually it does seem to have moved on a bit since i first heard of it. The media are still lying about the root though. It's more the French version of Respect than FN.

My understanding is that the man who is credited as inventing it did so as part of his campaign running as an anti-zionist in the 2009 European elections. I am not sure how it can be claimed that the French media are lying about that given he is happily admitting it himself.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25550581

""I think it's likely to be more complex than just being associated with the far right," says Jim Shields of Aston University"

Just under a picture of typical FN supporters.

My point was the Quenelle gesture - which originally just meant up yours - started being used politically by the left not the right but the media keep pretending the opposite. (Although it does seem to have spread wider since.)
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    For the public to pay heed to a New Year's speech by a party political leader, they would have to deliver it in the nude with a feather duster up their arrse.
    fitalass said:

Having just watched this latest effort on Youtube from Ed Miliband, you can see why he will not win the next GE. There is no passion, conviction, or even a bit of natural charisma on display here. Like Gordon Brown before him, Miliband simple isn't up to or comfortable in the role of being a Prime Minister in waiting. But unlike lucky Gordon Brown, Ed Miliband will have to try and persuade the electorate rather than just relying on a coronation by Labour MP's to get the keys to No10. He is going to be a drag on Labour's turnout vote in 2015.

Twitter
    Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 30 Dec
    As we approach the year of the Scottish referendum, I think we’re #BetterTogether – this is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0BeoPDqaI

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Agreed. :)

For the public to pay heed to a New Year's speech by a party political leader, they would have to deliver it in the nude with a feather duster up their arrse.

fitalass said:

Having just watched this latest effort on Youtube from Ed Miliband, you can see why he will not win the next GE. There is no passion, conviction, or even a bit of natural charisma on display here. Like Gordon Brown before him, Miliband simple isn't up to or comfortable in the role of being a Prime Minister in waiting. But unlike lucky Gordon Brown, Ed Miliband will have to try and persuade the electorate rather than just relying on a coronation by Labour MP's to get the keys to No10. He is going to be a drag on Labour's turnout vote in 2015.

Twitter
    Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 30 Dec
    As we approach the year of the Scottish referendum, I think we’re #BetterTogether – this is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0BeoPDqaI

• Options
    SeanT said:

This is a momentous New Year. I hope that this time in 12 months we are all reconvening after a No vote in Scotland, even though I would probably vote Yes if I lived there.

To Easterross, Fitalass, DavidL etc, we don't share political views, but I am proud you come from the same country as me. May it ever be thus.

Hack. I may be slightly sentimental ce soir after a bottle of Priorat, but I mean it. I love you all. D'you wanna fight?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Happy New Year from Moscow, Comrades!

(only kidding!)

You are fourteen days early, Comrade.

You're thinking of Christmas, Tovarish!

http://www.rt.com/politics/official-word/putin-new-year-speech-021/
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

The poor deer.

Avery - I salute you.

• Options
    Mr. T, enforced jollity has an air of totalitarianism about it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

The poor deer.

The man is clearly as pixilated as a Jura stag in the autumn rut.

I've never understood the fetish for New Year celebrations. The idea of Forced Jollity unnerves and repels me. The psychic equivalent of canned laughter.

My best ever New Year's Eve was a night I spent with one curmudgeonly, amusing and singular old friend, when we simply sat on the sofa and smoked heroin all night, and laughed cynically at the world, with the odd glug of supermarket cognac punctuating our wretched drug abuse.

Ah, the good old days.
    I discovered a new motto for you last night. Well new to me. You probably encountered it in your misspent teens.

Anyway it is fitting for a man of increasing substance who may be considering investing in the baubles of worldly success:

If it flies, floats or f**ks: hire it by the hour.

• Options

AveryLP said:

(only kidding!)

Pussy Riot celebrate in the orthodox tradition, Sunil.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

The poor deer.

The man is clearly as pixilated as a Jura stag in the autumn rut.

I've never understood the fetish for New Year celebrations. The idea of Forced Jollity unnerves and repels me. The psychic equivalent of canned laughter.

My best ever New Year's Eve was a night I spent with one curmudgeonly, amusing and singular old friend, when we simply sat on the sofa and smoked heroin all night, and laughed cynically at the world, with the odd glug of supermarket cognac punctuating our wretched drug abuse.

Ah, the good old days.
    I discovered a new motto for you last night. Well new to me. You probably encountered it in your misspent teens.

Anyway it is fitting for a man of increasing substance who may be considering investing in the baubles of worldly success:

If it flies, floats or f**ks: hire it by the hour.

I hate New Year's Eve. I really do. But tonight - for some reason- it's all working. The beer into the wine with the whisky to come. And this time next year a 300 year old settlement that changed the world and gave us the chance to lead the lives we have could be over. That's big stuff. What's more, a few posters on here may well find that the nationality they feel as strongly as we do has been taken away from them. For you, me and Avery not much will change if Scotland votes Yes. For our TartanTory friend the world will turn upside down.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

(only kidding!)

But it's already 2014 in Moscow, Comrade! They are four hours ahead of us!

• Options
    I will second that SO, have a lovely evening and enjoy the Glenmorangie. Fitaloon is still deciding whether to open the Lagavulin or the 18yr old Glenfiddoch the boys bought him tonight. :)

• Options
    fitalass said:

I will second that SO, have a lovely evening and enjoy the Glenmorangie. Fitaloon is still deciding whether to open the Lagavulin or the 18yr old Glenfiddoch the boys bought him tonight. :)

I forgot to buy the Macallan. That's the Daddy.

Enjoy your evening. Let us hope for a very happy 2014. I'd take a Tory government in 2015 for our ongoing Union. I suspect you'd take a Labour one. Some things are more important than party politics.

• Options
    Macallan was my late Dad's favourite tipple, but Fitaloon and my brother-in-law are definitely Islay lads when it comes to their whisky. :)

fitalass said:

Enjoy your evening. Let us hope for a very happy 2014. I'd take a Tory government in 2015 for our ongoing Union. I suspect you'd take a Labour one. Some things are more important than party politics.

• Options
    Twats are letting fireworks off two hours early!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,324
    Happy New Year to all PBers, past and present.

Let's hope that 2014 is a much more interesting year politically (as it blooming well should be), and that it is handsomely profitable for everyone who likes a flutter.

As for New Years Resolutions:
    I promise that I will not mention HS2 for at least one week during the year ...

;-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Toast the Union by opening both!

Best wishes to all in the new year, and may we all triumph over our disappointments, Yes campaigners included.

fitalass said:

• Options
    As we await the arrival in London of the Bulgar hordes, let us travel the other way to Sofia and the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia where, under the baton of Angel Popkonstantinov, the Cathedral's Choir and Boris Christoff sing the conclusion to the Orthodox Christian Liturgy.

There are few pieces of music more uplifting or suitable to welcome in a New Year than this. Mnogaya Leta (Grant, O Lord) in the setting by Bortyansky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU-Qe36GDPI&list=PLnjo3y1nwtSUl0cEm1_uun4F44m24SWXU

Let Bulgarian benefits flow through 2014 and beyond.

One to listen to with a glass of the finest brandy and a Monte Cristo No 2.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

fitalass said:

I'm on Glenfarclas.

Very nice.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

(only kidding!)

But it's already 2014 in Moscow, Comrade! They are four hours ahead of us!

Should be three hours, Sunil.

You are continually getting ahead of yourself.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I might have a go at some Manx whiskey. It's clear like water, but very nice!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

FPT

The Quenelle gesture means "up yours." The placement of the hand signifying exactly how much. Saying it's a reverse Nazi salute is a load of nonsense. It does have some political significance related to some comedian being charged with saying something or other but the gesture itself is quite literally "up yours."

Unfortunately that is not true. The gesture has been widely adopted as an anti-semitic statement with a new 'game' developing where people try and make it in the most provocative place including synagogues and at the wailing wall in Jerusalem.

I am not saying that is a reason to ban it but to try and claim it means something other than the specific anti-semitic implication is rather naive.
    Actually it does seem to have moved on a bit since i first heard of it. The media are still lying about the root though. It's more the French version of Respect than FN.

My understanding is that the man who is credited as inventing it did so as part of his campaign running as an anti-zionist in the 2009 European elections. I am not sure how it can be claimed that the French media are lying about that given he is happily admitting it himself.
    But this is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you try to ban "gestures", "words" and "opinions" for being intrinsically racist or misogynist (or whatever) - people simply adopt coded versions of the same gestures and words, probably with greater enthusiasm, as the new versions have gained the glamour of being subversive.

The word n*gger now has more impact than f*ck, and not in a good way. This is almost entirely because bien pensants have tried to prohibit it. Ditto the Fuhrer salute and the Dumpling.
    Not disagreeing with you there Sean. Banning symbols and words or phrases is just stupid and lazy. All I was doing was pointing out that for anyone to claim that they made the gesture meaning anything other than its intent is pretty thick. Not least because in the case of Anelka he dedicated it to the man who invented it!

Mind you footballers never were very bright. :-)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    How can anyone seriously think that Ed Milliband is a potential Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, or what may be left of it.
    The man who will have to deal with all of the major problems in the world, many of which concern us, over the next five years.
    He can barely tie his shoelaces.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    SeanT said:

For the first time in centuries one of the great, founding, unitary states of European civilisation - the UK - will be threatened by secession..

Cornwall's going to secede? If Scotland decides to restore its independence, then one of the signatories to the 1707 union will simply have decided that that incorporating union no longer serves its needs.

"great, founding, unitary states of European civilisation" is the kind of phraseology that excites wordsmiths - but actually means sod all.
  • Options
    When Ireland seceeded in 1922 it was less than several centuries ago. As a result the Irish missed our finest hour. It will be the same for Scotland if they seceed.

The glorious future of the mother of parliaments will not be diminished, and Scots can decide whether they will be part of it, or to sit on the sidelines.

Happy Hogmanay!
    SeanT said:

Happy New Year to all PBers, past and present.

Let's hope that 2014 is a much more interesting year politically (as it blooming well should be), and that it is handsomely profitable for everyone who likes a flutter.

As for New Years Resolutions:
    I promise that I will not mention HS2 for at least one week during the year ...

;-)

2014 won't just be interesting, it will be one of the most politically important years in modern European history (at least for electoral buffs).

For the first time the postwar EU parliamentary consensus will be seriously threatened: by the march of populist rightwingers. For the first time in centuries one of the great, founding, unitary states of European civilisation - the UK - will be threatened by secession.

Should be some betting opportunities.
  • Options

When Ireland seceded in 1922 it was less than several centuries ago. As a result the Irish missed our finest hour.

Jeez! You guys still on about 1966?

• Options
    My New Year wish is for some really interesting by-elections
  • Options
    2013 has been tedious with very few opportunities to bet. Thankfully we had the Eastleigh by-election.

• Options
    If Scotland wants to ever win a world cup, or even qualify again, then they should vote for a football Union with England.

As I said, Westminster will not be diminished by a Yes vote.
    oldnat said:

When Ireland seceded in 1922 it was less than several centuries ago. As a result the Irish missed our finest hour.

• Options

If Scotland wants to ever win a world cup, or even qualify again, then they should vote for a football Union with England.

As I said, Westminster will not be diminished by a Yes vote.

oldnat said:

Dr Sox

It is the difference between being a Lion or a Shetland Pony.

Both are cute.

One roars.

• Options

The depth of your misunderstanding is really impressive.

That wouldn't be "Scotland" winning a World Cup, and if Scotland wanted to have a link with a greater union to be be associated with such a thing, then a union with Brazil would make infinitely more sense.

Of course, we could always join your cricket team! :-)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077
    I noticed about an hour ago that William Hill were offering odds of 16/1 on the next general election taking place in 2013.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    fitalass said:

Macallan was my late Dad's favourite tipple, but Fitaloon and my brother-in-law are definitely Islay lads when it comes to their whisky. :)

And for those who don't like Whisky

http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-botanist-islay-dry-gin

I gave someone a bottle of this for Christmas. It didn't last the week.
  • Options
    Macallan here. Happy New Year one and all, and I hope you enjoy the crossword tomorrow. 2014 may yet prolong my hopes of a 50/1 winner to rival OGH's (Scotland to be independent by 2017, struck in 2007).
  • Options
    It now appears to have gone. They must be recalibrating the odds now it is almost certain there won't be a general election this year.
  • Options
    I would suggest that a Union with Germany would be a safer bet, but I believe that that is Mr Salmonds plan already!

oldnat said:

The depth of your misunderstanding is really impressive.

That wouldn't be "Scotland" winning a World Cup, and if Scotland wanted to have a link with a greater union to be be associated with such a thing, then a union with Brazil would make infinitely more sense.

Of course, we could always join your cricket team! :-)
  • Options
    We need 0.4mm of rain to hit 660mm for the year in the Spa. That's above average and good news.

The Glenmorangie has been aged in sherry casks, just like the Macallan. All rather nice. Have I told you that I love you?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,651
    edited December 2013
    AveryLP said:

It's four hours, Comrade George!

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=time+in+moscow
  • Options

I would suggest that a Union with Germany would be a safer bet, but I believe that that is Mr Salmonds plan already!

True. German cricketers (both of them) would do well against England.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GPW_Portland: Big observation from @AndrewCooper__ to mark 2014 for all in politics. No party ever won without being +50 in polls once. Lab not close.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GPW_Portland: Big observation from @AndrewCooper__ to mark 2014 for all in politics. No party ever won without being +50 in polls once. Lab not close.

Neither are the Tories!!
  • Options

We need 0.4mm of rain to hit 660mm for the year in the Spa. That's above average and good news.

The Glenmorangie has been aged in sherry casks, just like the Macallan. All rather nice. Have I told you that I love you?

I've been to the Spa - Regency architecture not far off parts of the West End!
  • Options

AveryLP said:

It's four hours, Comrade George!

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=time+in+moscow
    You are right, O Blue One.

Apparently Russia (Moscow) abolished 'daylight saving' in 2011.

Before then, it was only a short period in Spring (2-3 weeks max) between summer time changes in both countries when the time difference became 4 hours.

I won't object as it equals flying time.Always useful to arrive back home the same time one departs. And on the way out it prevents any meetings during the day of travel!

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Interesting but not decisive. Polling methods have moved on quite a bit in recent years and Labour are now capable of getting a majority with a vote share in the mid-30s, certainly if UKIP do reasonably well. We're in the realm of 4 party politics lest we forget.
  • Options

It's a fine town. I believe me, you and Mr Brooke are to rendezvous in the new year. We could take a curry, have a beer or two and admire the architecture. It's a fine old town, that's for sure.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    All the best for 2014 to PBers past, present and future.

Thanks to our host for the work, he does, and congratulations and good wishes to Scotland after the Yes vote in September.

A flat phone battery will now keep me away for the rest of the year. Have fun.
  • Options

It's a fine town. I believe me, you and Mr Brooke are to rendezvous in the new year. We could take a curry, have a beer or two and admire the architecture. It's a fine old town, that's for sure.
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • Options

Sounds like a great idea!

It is. It really is.

• Options
    And they're playing Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes. Take me home !!
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone! :)
  • Options
    Happy New Year, everyone!

Crossover by Christmas!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Crossover by Christmas!

Happy New Year

Christmas 2015?
  • Options
    Happy new year one and all.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • Options
    Happy New Year from a lurker who has recently started posting.

Great website (with occasional dips - play the ball not the player please!). Here's to a successful betting year.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Crossover by Christmas!

Happy New Year

Christmas 2015?
    You are conspiring with compouter, Dr Sox!

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    edited January 2014
    Happy New Year guys and gals and thanks for being a small but not insignificant part of my life.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Happy New Year Peebers!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Happy New Year, lurker.
    Some posters would consider you as "tory_doon_sooth".

Happy New Year from a lurker who has recently started posting.

Great website (with occasional dips - play the ball not the player please!). Here's to a successful betting year.

• Options
    Thought I'd start the New Year by reading Richard Reeves article in The Graun on Nick Clegg. Okay the article itself isn't much fun, but the comments below are. There are few things more amusing than CIFers on the subject of Nick Clegg.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/30/nick-clegg-prize-is-2020-not-2015

I dare you to back the Lib Dems in 2015 Mr Rusbridger. Go on I dare you.
  • Options
    Happy new year. England will win in Sydney!
  • Options
    Christmas 2015 is pretty much a certainty, the big issue will be whether it is sooner than May 2015.

Whichever govt is in power in May 2015 will have benefited from George's masterful navigation through the storms. I hope you and your yellow boxes continue to spread the good news throughout 2014.

And thanks to all my sparring partners over the year, PB is the best political discussion site on the net. long may it reign!
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Crossover by Christmas!

Happy New Year

Christmas 2015?
    You are conspiring with compouter, Dr Sox!

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I've just realised that if and when foxinsoxuk quotes Sean T, my screen will show fox in sox on Knox in box. Superb.
  • Options

Mr. Carpet, cheers for running the 2013 prediction contest. The results will be interesting.

Now, to have a look at the 2014 one...

Edited extra bit: just to confirm, that link is for the 2014 pb contest?

Tons of foreign leader questions and a bit less than I'd expect on election stuff.

Mr Dancer - HNY to you - the link is for the Election Game - Leaders & Finance 2014.

The PB 2014 competition will follow in due course and will be in a similar format to previous PB comps (ie primarily UK-focused).

Thanks

DC
  • Options
    Just want to wish the whole PB community a very Happy New Year. Slàinte mhath.
  • Options
    Thanks for that recommendation Scott, that is definitely going on the Islay shopping list. :)
    Scott_P said:

fitalass said:

And for those who don't like Whisky

http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-botanist-islay-dry-gin

I gave someone a bottle of this for Christmas. It didn't last the week.
  • Options
    All the Veries to everyone.

May 2014 be a profitable betting year. (Lay Labour)

;-)
  • Options
    Rio looks Fab...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Oh no... I can't sleep because of the clangorous noise of 88 billion Bulgarians rampaging down Croydon High Street, vandalising old ladies, selling drugs, kidnapping children and generally undermining the moral fabric of society.

#OrPerhapsNot
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited January 2014
    JohnLoony said:

Oh no... I can't sleep because of the clangorous noise of 88 billion Bulgarians rampaging down Croydon High Street, vandalising old ladies, selling drugs, kidnapping children and generally undermining the moral fabric of society.

#OrPerhapsNot

Well if they were it would be the icing on the top of the cake. Some Immigration trivia:

Worst/Best three year rolling aggregate net immigration figures since 1901:

1. 2009-2011 665,000 (Brown/Cameron)
    2. 2004-2006 649,000 (Blair)
    3. 2010-2012 643,000 (Cameron/Brown)
    4. 2005-2007 637,000 (Blair/Brown)
    5. 2008-2010 613,000 (Brown/Cameron)

Given the Cameron years appear in 3 of the top 5 who needs the impact of the Bulgars and Romas? This government's immigration record is dire given its commitment to reducing immigration to "tens of thousands".

Or alternatively this government has permitted more net immigration in three years than was permitted in the 18 years of the Thatcher and Major Governments combined. The open borders brigade should adore Cameron for what he has achieved!

Derived from this Parliamentary briefing:

http://tinyurl.com/m52dddg
This discussion has been closed.