Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nate Silver on UK politics

124»

Comments

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

Just switch the TV off and you won't need to spend the rest of the day whining.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    21 gun salute for The Lady.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

@LucienFletcher

11:49AM
    @Slackbladder

Its the contrast with Cameron that will make the photo the story.
    Do you really need this basic stuff explaining to you?

Perhaps I should be slagging off Obama using a funeral for cover, then you'd ignore it.

I hope you are watching Sky News now, tim.

Michele Bachmann is speaking outside St Pauls Cathedral: the true voice of America.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited April 2013
    Like ll Duce, Tim ha sempre ragione.

or never wrong for long.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    tim said:

@LucienFletcher

@Slackbladder

Perhaps I should be slagging off Obama using a funeral for cover, then you'd ignore it.

Why would anyone be slagging off Obama?

You're a very strange sad person....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    tim said:

@LucienFletcher

@Slackbladder

you're a bit out of sync tim, most of the Left have been spot on today, leaving the Righties to get on with their own thoughts. Credit to them.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Alanbrooke

'you're a bit out of sync tim'

All these lefties that hate Thatcher but insist on watching every detail of her funeral,weird people.
  • Options
    A_Man_Called_HorseA_Man_Called_Horse Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    "Michele Bachmann is speaking outside St Pauls Cathedral: the true voice of America"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bachmann's political 'achievements' and personal 'intellect' aren't worthy of approaching on hands and knees within a hundred yards of Thatcher's shadow on a wet weekend.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342

JonnyJimmy - I don't think anyone has forgotten that the government paid lip service to the anti-apartheid cause, while continuing to treat apartheid South Africa as a "normal country" and an ally.

South African support for Thatcher in 1982 at the time of the Falklands War should not be underestimated.

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    JonCJonC Posts: 67
    SeanT said:

This is ending up as a beautiful, 60 minute PPB for Old Tory England. You can see why the lefties are fulminating.

Spot on. I'd forgotten just how superb the likes of Douglas Hurd, Tom King et al were. Solid as rocks, those were the days. Bunch of no-marks today by comparison, in the main.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,343
    Plato said:

According to the BBC - there were reps from over 170 countries - but the USA couldn't manage one official. Shame on them.

Dan Hannan is spot on.

"Let's review the evidence. President Obama received from Gordon Brown a pen-holder made from the timbers of a Royal Navy anti-slavery vessel, and reciprocated with DVDs. He silkily downgraded the UK from "our closest ally" to "one of our allies". He gave the Queen an iPod full of his own speeches. He used the Louisiana oil spill to attack an imaginary company called "British Petroleum" (it has been BP for the past decade, ever since the merger with Amoco gave it as many American as British shareholders).

He sent a bust of Winston Churchill back to the British Embassy. He managed, on his visit to West Africa, to refer to the struggle for independence, but not to the Royal Navy's campaign against slavery. He has refused to acknowledge our presence in Afghanistan in any major speech. He has even come dangerously close to backing Peronist Argentina's claim to the Falkland Islands. There's no getting away from it: Barack Obama doesn't much like Limeys... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100067261/why-barack-obama-doesnt-much-care-for-britain/

That base I mentioned upthread in Equatorial Guinea (1827-43) was aimed at stopping slave ships.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    SeanT said:

I think we will all remember this day, for many years to come. This, after all, is the day tim went finally and embarrassingly mad on pb.com.

Margaret Thatcher didn't silence her opponents. She marginalised them.

A divisive politician becomes great when their dividend is the vast majority.

tim needs our help, Sean, not our pity.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Nick Robinson, without mentioning any politician in particular observed that tears at a funeral may be for the departed, or be more personal memories.

Thought Chartres spoke well - and the comment that Jesus saw there were "no easy options" was aimed squarely at both front benches...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Haven't been following the funeral, but looking at the thread, I'm not clear if people who rather liked Lady T think it was a political occasion (SeanT - perfect Tory event/Avery - we are all Thatcherites now/Richard N - look at all these super Thatcher achievements) or a non-political moment for private grief (critical comments inappropriate, lefties should do the decent thing and look away). The first link to Osborne appears to have been from Guido, that well-known leftist.

But anyway, think we should all move on. It's why I was against an open thread - suspected we'd get into debating who looked more grieved, how they were dressed, what we think about each other's reactions, etc.

This discussion has been closed.