Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Little change in the first two of the Sunday newspaper poll

2»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Has the Independent just put up a paywall?

Another thing: Channel 4's TV player doesn't go from iPad to TV, whereas iPlayer and ITV player do.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Carola said:

Or Nick. He's all cats, I'm all wildlife.

That's exactly why I'm claiming Nick as my alter ego.
    I'm the pro-hunting type who thinks a safari isn't complete without a rifle.

I also don't believe in wrecking a country and not even saying sorry.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    AndyJS said:

Has the Independent just put up a paywall?

Didn't even know they had a website.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    GeoffM said:

I'm also Southam o but the cheery positive and sensible tory supporting spurs enjoying version, SO is my dark side......

I think Nick Palmer is probably my dark side.

Eeek. Jekyll and Hyde revisited.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The site is getting very boring. I am starting a new game called "tim said..."

I will start.

tim said," Plato is a right wing glitch!"
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I wonder which Telegraph thread is going to be used to discuss SeanT's next blog post, if it's published.

The paper must know it happens. But if they do, why not allow comments on the blog page itself?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

there was a very interesting and (generally) informative discussion about the limits of non-state courts from a variety of posters from across the political spectrum, notably Sean_F, cyclefree, Nick Palmer, Neil, isam, and myself.

Lol, there's no harsher critic than one's self!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098
    SeanT - who do you think tim is? I very much doubt you know.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/11/london-challenge-turned-poor-schools-around

Interesting comments from Mike Tomlinson on London Challenge. What strikes me is that Labour appointed a Minister with specific responsibility for London schools. Why? Did the other regions matter less? And if London's results were above the national average inside two years they can hardly have been that bad in the first place. Looking at LC in a bit of detail it doesn't seem to have much in common with most of the education policies Labour pursued whilst in office and were dumped on the rest of England. More focus on collaboration and not so much of the name and shame stuff. So if new labour want to take credit for London Challenge, fine. But if so, don't they owe the rest of England an apology for the policies foisted upon them?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

The site is getting very boring. I am starting a new game called "tim said..."

I will start.

tim said," Plato is a right wing glitch!"

Grow up. One of the reasons this site suffers is when fan boys feel the need to white knight for their oppressed poster of choice. Leave them to it and add something of value yourself if you really believe the site is boring.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    As others have said, there's been a high yah-boo:content ratio lately. Maybe with Xmas coming it's time to revisit the challenge that SeanT and I successfully organised a year or two back: a cross-dressing thread. Rules:

1. You must say something enthusiastic about a political party or politician that you normally dislike or at least strongly disagree with.
    2. You must MEAN it.

It's not that easy, and makes you think outside the box. Ideally, it should relate to something in the last year, so we don't just re-run our previous comments.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    It's harder to be distracted from the content someone posts by arguing about their person if everyone is anonymous. Also no one can claim argument from authority.

Besides that, having to announce your identity to the world is narcissistic.
  • Options
    SeanT - Pretty flimsy evidence if you ask me. Not convinced.
  • Options

As others have said, there's been a high yah-boo:content ratio lately. Maybe with Xmas coming it's time to revisit the challenge that SeanT and I successfully organised a year or two back: a cross-dressing thread. Rules:

1. You must say something enthusiastic about a political party or politician that you normally dislike or at least strongly disagree with.
    2. You must MEAN it.

It's not that easy, and makes you think outside the box. Ideally, it should relate to something in the last year, so we don't just re-run our previous comments.

I admire Sarah Woolaston for her stance on (i.e. support of) minimum pricing of alcohol.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    SeanT said:

Seeing as we're talking about anonymity, pseudonimity and the internet: I wonder why tim is determined to protect his identity even though many of us know who he is, and a quick google search produces everything else you might want to discover.

Is it because it is just easier to be personally aggressive on a forum if you have some shield over your identity, so some people find it harder to retaliate? I can't help thinking it is; and it is a species of cowardice. Tut.

Kudos to people like Nick Palmer - who is much more professionally and politically "vulnerable" than someone like tim - for identifying himself.

Relatedly, I learned the other day that the Telegraph is thinking of banning anonymous commentary from its website. It will be a brave move, as it will cut savagely back the number of comments (seen, falsely, by some writers as important - *shares* are in fact more important).

However they believe it will ultimately better the site, as people will have to think a bit harder before they post: this is ME talking, I will be associated with this remark, etc.

The opposing argument, also strong, is that smart informed people will no longer feel able to risk giving a controversial opinion, if it might harm their careers, when they are identifiable.

I have mixed feelings, myself: and I merely offer up this snippet for the informed debate of pb-ers, anonymous or named. I do believe the internet is generally heading away from the anonymous free-for-all of yore.

While I generally agree that opinion should not be anonymous I have to say that until you find a way of people not using it against you in employment terms then we are better off with anonynmity.

I do not think anyone should be denied a job because of their politcal views or indeed any other views unless those views have a direct impact on their ability to do there job. As we patently cannot trust employers not to google you and take it into account then anonymity must be preserved at all costs

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Doesn't the fact that the comment down thread, which identified Tim as the person Sean has claimed him to be , was deleted convince you?

• Options
    SeanT said:

Uh, he ADMITTED this was him. He then complained (quite rightly, to my mind) when someone on here went even further and posted his actual Liverpool address, complete with Google view.

Slightly mystified why you are disputing what any longstanding pb-er knows is true.
    You don't think he was bluffing? Faux outrage?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,043
    I have just read through this thread and if Tim has been banned and Seant hasn't then the moderator should explain what's in his mind. i have yet to read an interesting post from Sean. Just bullying vulgar rants. Tim by contrast sticks to politics. Perhaps the moderator prefers mindless rants? As for Plato I missed Tims post but i was here when she posted his address . Who wouldn't be angry? Grow up moderator and stop this special treatment for Sean. It;'s boring
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    #prayfortim

Puke...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    @LordAshcroft : Staff sent to cover Nelson Mandela's funeral. Sky 15 ITV 9 CH4 4 and wait for it BBC 140!
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited December 2013
    Roger said:

I have just read through this thread and if Tim has been banned and Seant hasn't then the moderator should explain what's in his mind. i have yet to read an interesting post from Sean. Just bullying vulgar rants. Tim by contrast sticks to politics. Perhaps the moderator prefers mindless rants? As for Plato I missed Tims post but i was here when she posted his address . Who wouldn't be angry? Grow up moderator and stop this special treatment for Sean. It;'s boring

Sean will confirm he has had his posting privileges revoked in the past when he's gone too far.

Tonight Tim talked about the death of another poster mixed in with other insults.

We felt a line had been crossed tonight despite previous warnings to Tim to stop doing this.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,043

Well tonight he has described where Tim's wife lives and what she does for a living while he can't even come on here to defend himself. Your moderation is ridiculous..
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Seeing as we're talking about anonymity, pseudonimity and the internet: I wonder why tim is determined to protect his identity even though many of us know who he is, and a quick google search produces everything else you might want to discover.

Is it because it is just easier to be personally aggressive on a forum if yo
    Relatedly, I learned the other day that the Telegraph is thinking of banning anonymous commentary from its website. It will be a brave move, as it will cut savagely back the number of comments (seen, falsely, by some writers as important - *shares* are in fact more important).

I think it goes without saying that all freedom-loving patriots should boycott any site that tries to do that. Or if you absolutely have to post on a site that does that, use a fake identity, even if you normally post with your real name.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Huffington Post - Fewer Think Ed Miliband Will Be Prime Minister
    "The number of Britons who think Ed Miliband is likely to be the prime minister after the next election has fallen dramatically, according to a poll.

Research by ComRes for the Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror found 21% believed the Labour leader would be in No 10 after the next election, down 10 points since May.

Some 40% disagreed that Mr Miliband was likely to be prime minister - up three points - but the poll also contained better news for his party, with the Labour lead over the Tories up to seven points, an increase of one point from last month.

The poll put Labour on 36%, ahead of the Conservatives on 29%, Ukip on 18% and the Liberal Democrats slipping two points to 8%.

David Cameron was picked as the leading politician voters would most like to spend Christmas with - although 60% of voters were unable to choose when presented with the choice of the Prime Minister, Chancellor George Osborne, Mr Miliband, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg or Ukip leader Nigel Farage."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

Leaving aside most of the errors in your post.

I thought someone else outed him but she took it one further and posted the google street view.

She should not have done it but considering how much s*** she took from him beforehand you can see how it happened.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,069
    Think I'd rather spend Christmas with the PM and Loto rather than their (S)CotEs tbh
  • Options
    Since Osborne's Autumn Statement the average Labour lead has been 5.4%:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2013
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Research by ComRes for the Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror found 21% believed the Labour leader would be in No 10 after the next election

This was another episode in the occasional series, "The voters have absolutely no idea how the voting system works, and if they ever figure it out they're going to be astonished".
  • Options
    @NickPalmer Interesting.. First I will need to identify which parties I strongly disagree with etc
    I am normally vote CON and was strongly particularlY anti Brown. But my betting position gives me the labour perspective (Labour minority and keep Ed Balls please :) ). I can see UKIPs points a lot of the time too and think they are valid.
    Are the BNP even still considered a political party?!
    The lib dems have done well to put country before party by joining the coalition at what looks like large cost to themselves.

I suppose the party I really disagree with at the moment are the Greens. I'll TTY and find something of theirs I like ;p
  • Options
    Hands off the green belt please ! Though how this communes with the greens(I think) massively liberal approach to immigration I am not sure

• Options
    One of the funniest things about this site is when Tim is banned, his name gets in more posts than when he is here. Tim, the opium of the PB posters.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The various wind farm cancellations in recent days are regrettable IMO. At the moment renewable energy is providing about 20% of the UK's electricity:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Nope, I am in complete agreement with antifrank on this one. I would love to meet George Osborne, by far the most interesting, astute and unpredictable politician in front line UK politics right now.
    Pulpstar said:

Think I'd rather spend Christmas with the PM and Loto rather than their (S)CotEs tbh

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Here are the answers to the arithmetic quiz from yesterday. Obviously there are several possible answers for most of them.

(0! + 0! + 0!)! = 6
    (1 + 1 + 1)! = 6
    2 + 2 + 2 = 6
    (3 x 3) -3 = 6
    sqrt4 + sqrt4 + sqrt4 = 6
    5 + (5/5) =6
    6 + 6 -6 = 6
    7 - (7/7) = 6
    (sqrt(8 + (8/8)))! = 6
    (sqrt9 x sqrt9) - sqrt9 = 6

the quiz comes from here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DoRB7FL02t4

Congratulations especially to Pulpstar for getting the 8s.
  • Options
    "The International Cricket Council's, ICC, Chief Executive Committee has taken some major decisions including topping up of two reviews after 80 overs per innings for Test matches."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=48092
  • Options
    I'm not sure where to go with this cross-dressing thing as my general take is that the four main British political parties are all pretty good all things considered and the problem is the voters.

I suppose I should say something nice about the voters. They're pretty good at keeping out fascists.
  • Options
    (OT) I have just noticed that the five members of Boyzone have/had an average of 3.6 given/forenames each. Jedward have 5 given names each. Is it normal for Irish children to have lots of names?

Shane Eamon Mark Stephen Lynch
    Ronan Patrick John Keating
    Michael Christopher Charles Graham
    Stephen Patrick David Gately
    Keith Peter Thomas Francis John Duffy
    John Paul Henry Daniel Richard Grimes
    Edward Peter Anthony Kevin Patrick Grimes
  • Options
    Live version of Joe Jackson's 1982 international smash hit "Steppin' Out".

This is from 30th October 1982:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjAvzbJIIo&amp
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@TSE (FPT)

That's the way to do it.

@Geoff

Good man - I admire your positivity.

You know the Aussies are a confidence team. Our job is to bring back the old doubts.

I won't back my words with cash but I will be setting the alarm.

See you both on PB later.

I hope you didn't bother.

This is a shocking reprisal of 90s England cricket. But with the added frustration that they seem unwilling to drop players who are playing poorly.
  • Options
    Anticipating the smug pomposity of hysterical frenzied self-bombastic patronising BBC journalists saying "Kunu" instead of "Qunu".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Official video, Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out":

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14x0u_joe-jackson-steppin-out_music

One of those tracks where, if you like it the first time, you have to listen to it about 10 times in a row.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

(OT) I have just noticed that the five members of Boyzone have/had an average of 3.6 given/forenames each. Jedward have 5 given names each. Is it normal for Irish children to have lots of names?

My name's bigger than all but the last one, and I only have four names [8,7,10,8]...

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

It was normal for Irish children to be in very large families. Perhaps if they were from small families there were a lot of names to go around?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The various wind farm cancellations in recent days are regrettable IMO. At the moment renewable energy is providing about 20% of the UK's electricity:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Wind energy has not dipped below 2GW for more than a week.
  • Options
    Slim YouGov in the run up to Christmas:

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/jljqincr91/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-131213.pdf

Lab at 38 +6. Internals flat/down for the coalition - interesting party splits on the university segregation question:

Should be allowed to segregate audiences (net):
    Con: -74
    Lab: -47
    LibD: -75
    UKIP: -42

Unusual to have Lab & UKIP in similar territory - unless it's a reaction to Cameron's comments which did seem to drive the story up the news agenda.
This discussion has been closed.