Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move another month closer the killer fact for CON re

Comments

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Millsy said:

The LD to Labour switch happened almost as soon as the Coalition was announced, when the Tories actually retained the lead in the polls. It was an instantaneous reaction and nothing since then has changed. Given that, it's hard to see what might happen now to get those voters back into the LD fold - except, perhaps, that some may switch back to keep a Tory out.

Not exactly a positive vote for Labour then is it? A negative reaction to the coalition that might subside or disappear for some come the next election.
    There aren't many positive votes for anyone these days, sadly. Take pb.com - I'm keen, Richard N is keen, MikeK is keen, and a few more; after that you find lots of people with doubts and reservations, though full of scorn for another party.

But the Lib-Lab floating vote is motivated and anti-Tory - it's simply an illusion to think they might vote Tory or abstain. I can imagine them voting LibDem, though - either in LibDem-held seats or if Clegg turns predominantly anti-Government - we tried but we were betrayed, etc. But I can't see that happening, can you? His basic problem is that there's a big Lib-Lab tactical vote to be held, but very little sign of a Con-LD tactical vote, so attacking Labour doesn't help him as it annoys the former and doesn't draw much from the latter.
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

The statistic that surprised me is that Labour have only 80% of their 2010 vote which was historically low - where are the rest - UKIP perhaps ?

The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers.

f Labour falls back to the degree that many on here seem confident (wishful thinking, hopecasting, who knows ?) the chances of a Conservative inority will improve but we need to see sustained slippage in that Labour number rather than Andy's much-vaunted topping off of the froth from yesterday.

I agree the two remaining Budgets will be hugely significant.

Morning Stodge! You're misreading the pie-chart - it doesn't say that only 80% of 2010 Labour voters are planning to vote Labour, but that 80% of Labour voters are former Labour voters. According to today's YG, the actual figures for 2010 Labour are 89% still Lab, 4% UKIP, 3% LD, 2% SNP/PC, 1% Tory, 1% Green.

Not convinced the Budgets will move much - oddly, Budgets rarely have a long-term effect, mainly perhaps because in the end they don't change many people's circumstances: you work out that the net effect is that you gain or lose £14.72/year, and go "meh".
    Once again I have to point out that you are not reading the Yougov poll figures correctly . The actual figure for 2010 Labour voters still Labour is NOT 89% because you are ignoring that 2% are WNV and 12% are now Dont Knows .
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

surbiton said:

Dare I say with AV, the Tories and UKIP [ maybe, the Tories alone ] would have formed the government. The Lib Dems gave their coalition partners a lifeline which was spurned.

Indeed.

If the Tories fail to stay in government after 2015 they will have only themselves to blame.

They made three basic errors - failure to keep the Lib Dems on board with the boundary changes, failure to support AV (gratuitously insulting Clegg in the process) and the cut in the top rate of tax. These three factors seem set to doom them to another period in opposition and it becomes harder and harder to see how they can find enough votes in future to win a majority on their own.
    Just imagine the howling and screaming, if they'd 'rigged' the system in their favour.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Bobajob said:

Millsy said:

The LD to Labour switch happened almost as soon as the Coalition was announced, when the Tories actually retained the lead in the polls. It was an instantaneous reaction and nothing since then has changed. Given that, it's hard to see what might happen now to get those voters back into the LD fold - except, perhaps, that some may switch back to keep a Tory out.

Not exactly a positive vote for Labour then is it? A negative reaction to the coalition that might subside or disappear for some come the next election.
    Do you have an evidence for that, or is it just a hunch?
    The polling. For starters the Lib Dem numbers had declined even before Labour had chosen their new leader
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Labour's former City minister Lord Myners has said he will be paid £1 a year for leading a review into the troubled Co-operative Group...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25345253

Predator or producer or one of the boys?

How independent will an ex Labour Minister be in this case, given that part of the problem with the Co-Op has been over promoted Labour worthies?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Millsy said:

Bobajob said:

Millsy said:

The polling. For starters the Lib Dem numbers had declined even before Labour had chosen their new leader
    That is precisely the point. They felt betrayed by Clegg & co. Who is the Labour leader is irrelevant to them. They hate the evil Tories !!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    surbiton said:

I demand , at least, one of the following threads:

1. The traditional "Ed is Crap" thread, or

2. Ed is weak, weak thread, or

3. Falkirk

If you want 1 and 2 head to that right wing rag the er.. New Statesman

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/12/labour-and-tories-are-both-led-career-politicians-–-label-can-hurt-ed-more-dave

"One Milibandite frontbencher estimates that only 10 to 20 per cent of his parliamentary colleagues could easily articulate their leader’s philosophy."

"he is running out of time to inspire people with more than just a feeling that he has noticed how expensive life has become."

• Options

surbiton said:

Dare I say with AV, the Tories and UKIP [ maybe, the Tories alone ] would have formed the government. The Lib Dems gave their coalition partners a lifeline which was spurned.

Indeed.

If the Tories fail to stay in government after 2015 they will have only themselves to blame.

They made three basic errors - failure to keep the Lib Dems on board with the boundary changes, failure to support AV (gratuitously insulting Clegg in the process) and the cut in the top rate of tax. These three factors seem set to doom them to another period in opposition and it becomes harder and harder to see how they can find enough votes in future to win a majority on their own.
    Just imagine the howling and screaming, if they'd 'rigged' the system in their favour.

Yes, but they would have had their changes and a HoL far more democratic.

They still believe that they can win an absolute majority.

Considering the Tories are really a regional party now the chances of winning outright is very slim indeed !

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    After much cajoling .... ok one request !! .... I'll start up a daily JackW Chrimbo Quiz that will thrill and entertain us all for the next week or so.

No cheating TSE or googling from the usual suspects !!

Off we go then ....

Who of Margaret Thatcher's various cabinet members have to date not been made a life peer ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jonathan said:

The best hope for the Tories is for the LDs to ditch Clegg and elect Cable.

Mr. Jonathan, you may be right, although the term 'sticky' is a little unpleasant.

It's also worth mentioning that whilst attacking Labour may make most sense for Clegg in terms of winning more votes, shoring up his position within his party may mean he goes more for the Conservatives.

Farron surely. Cable is like 90 or something - no chance.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    The Conservatives can't really do anything to shift the votes of switchers from Lib Dem to Labour. They're the people who viewed the Lib Dems as the rural wing of the Labour Party, and feel betrayed that the Lib Dems didn't go into coalition with Labour in May 2010. The Lib Dems might be able to win some of them back, but not the Tories.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    surbiton said:

Millsy said:

Bobajob said:

Millsy said:

That is precisely the point. They felt betrayed by Clegg & co. Who is the Labour leader is irrelevant to them. They hate the evil Tories !!
    They're still the dimmest chunk of the electorate, they hate the tories so much their votes let Cameron in to Downing St. We need to keep these people away from sharp implements for their own sake.
  • Options
    JackW said:

After much cajoling .... ok one request !! .... I'll start up a daily JackW Chrimbo Quiz that will thrill and entertain us all for the next week or so.

Off we go then ....

Who of Margaret Thatcher's various cabinet members have to date not been made a life peer ?

All of them or their husbands/wives or dogs.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Off we go then ....

Tony Blair.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Labour's former City minister Lord Myners has said he will be paid £1 a year for leading a review into the troubled Co-operative Group...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25345253

Predator or producer or one of the boys?

How independent will an ex Labour Minister be in this case, given that part of the problem with the Co-Op has been over promoted Labour worthies?

From the linked article.

Lord Myners told BBC Radio 5 live that the advantage of the mutually-owned group was that it had no "avaricious shareholders with an open mouth needing to be stuffed full of money".

In other words, "pensioners relying on an income in retirement". Who does Lord Myners expect these shareholders are?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Once again I have to point out that you are not reading the Yougov poll figures correctly . The actual figure for 2010 Labour voters still Labour is NOT 89% because you are ignoring that 2% are WNV and 12% are now Dont Knows .

Sure - all parties have a slice of WNV and DKs. The Lab and Con figures are virtually identical (an eighth) and IMO will probably not vote or vote as before. The LibDem figure is higher (a quarter) and perhaps worth further study: these could be various kinds of people who are vaguely disappointed with the current government but thinking of... what? Voting UKIP, Lab, Con, back to LD, not at all? Hard to guess. It's only a small number of voters, though.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164
    JackW said:

Off we go then ....

John Major.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Indeed.

If the Tories lose power in 2015 they will blame everyone but themselves. Even Nelson Mandela may get a few blowbacks for dying in a biased way on the day the 2013 Autumn Statement was made.

• Options
  • Options
    @OldKingCole

John Major - Correct
  • Options
    JackW said:

Off we go then ....

Off the top of my head, Sir John Major, Kenneth Clarke, Sir Malcolm Rifkind and Sir John Nott.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

surbiton said:

Indeed.

Perfectly logical, non-partisan cases can be made for both AV and the boundary changes. Claims that these amount to rigging the system would not get much traction and I don't think this accounts for the Tory failure to get them through.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Indeed.

If the Tories lose power in 2015 they will blame everyone but themselves. Even Nelson Mandela may get a few blowbacks for dying in a biased way on the day the 2013 Autumn Statement was made.

And who will Labour blame if they don't win in 2015?

• Options
    On topic, Dave in 2015 is going to be like Caesar on the Ides of March.

No matter his brilliance, he's getting stabbed in the front and back by a lot of people who never liked him in the first place.

Damn you Lucius Tillius Cimber and you left leaning, Tory hating 2010 Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles: Brutus 'never liked Caesar in the first place'?

It's certainly a novel perspective.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

Lots of things weren't funded, not just school meals, and although growth was revised up for this year and next it was revised down for the following three years as its based on a housing peak and credit rise timed for the election.

"George was taken to pieces in 2012 by an absurd media storm about trivia"

Destroying his "all in this together" meme by prioritising tax cuts for the wealthiest while proving incompetent may be trivia in PB Toryworld, in the real world it wiped 5% off the polling that the Tories haven't got back

As with the 2010 campaign which Osborne also blew with a 5% drop you just cant accept responsibility.

You do realise that taxes on the wealthy went up?

There was a reduction in one marginal tax rate, but both in absolute terms and as a % of income tax paid, the richest are paying more than they did previously.

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true, dear boy
    Repeating a lie, when it has become the accepted "truth", sort of does make it true. And of course it's the Cons' biggest challenge to counter it.

It is not a lie.

I am paying less tax than I paid at the start of this parliament and I am a top rate tax payer. Some taxes that wealthy people pay went up, but if you do not have to pay those taxes then you are actually much better off than you were. The top rate of income tax has come down, as has the amount of tax paid on dividends. The only other direct tax I pay is council tax. VAT went up for everyone.

But tim didn't say they cut taxes for "some of the wealthy". But for "the wealthy". If you look at any of the stats, the top decile has done the worst out of the government of all.

But as someone else pointed out, the truth doesn't matter. The memes are set.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited December 2013

Mr. Eagles: Brutus 'never liked Caesar in the first place'?

It's certainly a novel perspective.

You're misunderstanding my point, not everyone who stabbed Caesar never liked him from the start.

That's why I mentioned Cimber and the left leaning, Tory hating 2010 Lib Dems, but I didn't mention Brutus
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,946

stodge said:

.... The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers... .

I am not gleeful, I just struggle to square the "common view" that Lib Dem incumbency means that they will keep 40+ seats with the realities of the situation post GE 2010. Before GE 2010 my recollection is that the top 20 LD marginals were approx 75% vs Conservative and 25% Vs Lab/Other. Now that % is closer to 60/40. Here is one view from electoral calculus.
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html
    The decline in the Labour vote in 2010 meant that seats won in 2005 were held and the odd gain picked up. I do agree the MPs facing Labour look very vulnerable at this moment.

At the moment, and if you assume a 12% national vote share for the Party, you'd be hard put to argue for 20 seats, let alone 30. The vote is much more concentrated than in 1979 or 1992.

We both know the "campaign" for the LDs will be in 75-80 seats and the rest will be abandoned and there will be some desperate results in the wastelands with hundreds of lost deposits and multiple fourth, fifth and even sixth place finishes - by the way, how about a market from soneone as to how many LD candidates weill finish fifth or worse in England ?

What we don't know is how it will be in the 75-80. Local election polling paints a more positive picture (say that with your teeth out) and we know the LD "ground" operation is stronger in many of these seats. I simply don't know what will happen - you'll forgive me for being cautiously optimistic, I'll happily forgive you for being cautiously realistic.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Charles said:

But tim didn't say they cut taxes for "some of the wealthy". But for "the wealthy". If you look at any of the stats, the top decile has done the worst out of the government of all.

But as someone else pointed out, the truth doesn't matter. The memes are set.

Tbf to tim he used to actually believe that taxes had been cut for the wealthy - I remember an entertaining afternoon when he tried to back that assertion up and failed badly. At least he's only going with "have given the impression of cutting taxes for the wealthy" now.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, then your post was as ill-thought out as Caesar's attack on Dyrrachium:
    "No matter his brilliance, he's getting stabbed in the front and back by a lot of people who never liked him in the first place."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Remember Mikes thread not so long ago about the importance of social media over paper?

UKIP the most talked about political topic on twitter in the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/twitter-trends-2013-ukip-tops-the-political-lot-8999898.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    stodge said:

stodge said:

.... The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers... .

I am not gleeful, I just struggle to square the "common view" that Lib Dem incumbency means that they will keep 40+ seats with the realities of the situation post GE 2010. Before GE 2010 my recollection is that the top 20 LD marginals were approx 75% vs Conservative and 25% Vs Lab/Other. Now that % is closer to 60/40. Here is one view from electoral calculus.
    The decline in the Labour vote in 2010 meant that seats won in 2005 were held and the odd gain picked up. I do agree the MPs facing Labour look very vulnerable at this moment.

At the moment, and if you assume a 12% national vote share for the Party, you'd be hard put to argue for 20 seats, let alone 30. The vote is much more concentrated than in 1979 or 1992.

We both know the "campaign" for the LDs will be in 75-80 seats and the rest will be abandoned and there will be some desperate results in the wastelands with hundreds of lost deposits and multiple fourth, fifth and even sixth place finishes - by the way, how about a market from soneone as to how many LD candidates weill finish fifth or worse in England ?

What we don't know is how it will be in the 75-80. Local election polling paints a more positive picture (say that with your teeth out) and we know the LD "ground" operation is stronger in many of these seats. I simply don't know what will happen - you'll forgive me for being cautiously optimistic, I'll happily forgive you for being cautiously realistic.
    75-80 o_O ? Bit optimistic, that.
  • Options
    @TSE

Hhmmm .... Correct

Others still to find !!
  • Options
    It seems to me Dave's best plan is to appeal to NOTA and UKIP types and to forget Labour completely - whilst the LibDems' best plan is to try very very hard to win back the lefties who've turned red. Bizarrely that means a rightish Tory campaign and a leftish LD campagn might see us back to where we are now.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Indeed.

if they are to stand a chance of winning in 2020 they will need to blame themselves.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, then your post was as ill-thought out as Caesar's attack on Dyrrachium:
    "No matter his brilliance, he's getting stabbed in the front and back by a lot of people who never liked him in the first place."

Like Hannibal at the Assembly, I am forced to apologise.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Just reading the BBC online article regarding the cost of living "crisis" which states:

"However, inflation over the same period, as measured by the Consumer Prices Index (CPI), was 2.4%.

The average weekly income for full-time employees was £517, a rise of 2.2%."

So, that would suggest the average wage rose from a base of £505. Had it grown at 3% (0.6% above RPI) it would have risen to £521 - a difference of £4 a week.

Is that really what the "crisis" is all about, a difference of £4 per week, or 0.6% of salary? That would be swamped by the rising council tax/petrol duty Labour proposed.

Doesn't sound like much of a crisis to me. What is a genuine crisis is either losing a job or not being able to find one, that really does have a significant impact on household income. Happily, the coalition seems to have their finger on that particular pulse.
  • Options
    Portillo
  • Options
    JackW said:

@TSE

Hhmmm .... Correct

Others still to find !!

How many others are there?

• Options
    JackW said:

Off we go then ....

Whitelaw, Hailsham, Brittan, Carrington (don't remember if he is a h'dty or not), Major, Nott, Rifkind, Clarke.

Presumably Michael Havers got a title, so why do I still remember him as Sir Michael?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, unlike Hannibal at the Assembly, so you should. It was the Punic state that let him down, not vice versa.

F1: tyre test is from 17-19 of this month, I think, so any look ahead to 2014 will be after that. Harder tyres (to save Pirelli's blushes and to try and reduce them as a problem with the other regulation changes) seem likely.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Portillo

Portillo was never a Thatcher cabinet minister
  • Options
    Oooh another Thatcher cabinet minister who isn't a Lord.

Peter Lilley
  • Options
    SeanT said:

He was reasonably persuasive that, in the end, people simply won't vote for Ed.

He should be - he's written that column dozens of times since he got the Telegraph gig. I do hope you compared "shares" etc.. with him.
  • Options
    @Charles - All of the UK's wealthiest people have seen their income taxes cut. Those who receive payment by dividend have seen the tax they pay here cut too. That some then choose to do things that may incur higher taxes than before is a different matter. As with VAT you choose and you may lose.
  • Options

Peter Lilley

Was it the reference to Portillo that brought him to mind? Perhaps the most ridiculous denial of an affair in the history of politics was Lilley's "rather eat cardboard" comment.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, unlike Hannibal at the Assembly, so you should. It was the Punic state that let him down, not vice versa.

F1: tyre test is from 17-19 of this month, I think, so any look ahead to 2014 will be after that. Harder tyres (to save Pirelli's blushes and to try and reduce them as a problem with the other regulation changes) seem likely.

Excuses, he's the Luca Badoer of Military Strategists.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Peter Lilley

Correct. One left. Read the question carefully.

@Charles. Still alive please !!

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    For anyone who's had to endure a marketing pitch, this is exceptionally good. The 'curve of credulity' on the penultimate slide is a work of genius.

http://www.quietroom.co.uk/santa_brandbook/one
  • Options
    Neil said:

Peter Lilley

Was it the reference to Portillo that brought him to mind? Perhaps the most ridiculous denial of an affair in the history of politics was Lilley's "rather eat cardboard" comment.
    Yes, that's it exactly.

I'm worried for you that you know how my mind works, and if your mind works in the same way.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, your comparison is about as intelligent as replacing Raikkonen with Maldonado.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

It seems to me Dave's best plan is to appeal to NOTA and UKIP types and to forget Labour completely - whilst the LibDems' best plan is to try very very hard to win back the lefties who've turned red. Bizarrely that means a rightish Tory campaign and a leftish LD campagn might see us back to where we are now.

Too late for that imo. He needed to do something early in the Parlt to get them on side and didn't.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Peter Lilley

I'm buggered if I know without having to google.
  • Options

Osborne prioritised Inheritance Tax Cuts in the 2010 campaign and prioritised top rate tax cuts in the Omnishambles.

The pathetic whining and blaming of other people because he's seen as prioritising tax cuts for the rich is ridiculous.
    Get a proper bloody strategist or stop bloody moaning.

Scouse if you knew anything about the Tax system you would be aware there was no tax cut for the vast majority of the rich. They avoided paying the original increase. Os is right the 40p rate worked fine for years and years, we should go back to that top rate.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,946
    <
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

75-80 o_O ? Bit optimistic, that.
    Please try to read and understand what I've actually said. The LDs will put up some sort of campaign/fight in these 75-80 seats. I'm NOT expecting the Party to win 75-80 seats. These are the seats (the ones currently held plus a raft of "targets") where resources in terms of activists and money will go. The aim in some of these seats will be to provide a regional focus for activists who have nowhere else they can easily get to as well as aiming to maintain an existing base of local organisation/activity.

The 57 held seats will be contested strongly and my view is we'll hold slightly more than half with perhaps a pick-up elsewhere so I come out at 35 seats but that's a guesstimate and the London locals next year might temper my optimism somewhat.

• Options
    SeanT said:

He's written that column dozens of times, yet done it in a way that seems fresh and readable each time. Not an easy task.

I can now see why you dont want to turn up to a pbc drinks if one encounter softens you up this much! Did you read his "Ed's Xmas party" one? (It was posted here a few times.) It was more worrying than it was bad and it was really bad.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

surbiton said:

Indeed.

Ed Miliband.

• Options
    stodge said:

the London locals next year might temper my optimism somewhat.

How many seats are you expecting to hold in London? I would have thought two were absolute goners and many of the rest would be a tough battle. The 2012 results in London were atrocious (coming 4th etc.).
  • Options
    Schards said:

Just reading the BBC online article regarding the cost of living "crisis" which states:

"However, inflation over the same period, as measured by the Consumer Prices Index (CPI), was 2.4%.

So, that would suggest the average wage rose from a base of £505. Had it grown at 3% (0.6% above RPI) it would have risen to £521 - a difference of £4 a week.

Is that really what the "crisis" is all about, a difference of £4 per week, or 0.6% of salary? That would be swamped by the rising council tax/petrol duty Labour proposed.

Doesn't sound like much of a crisis to me. What is a genuine crisis is either losing a job or not being able to find one, that really does have a significant impact on household income. Happily, the coalition seems to have their finger on that particular pulse.

The latest ONS statistic shows private sector pay up by 1.1% and public sector down by 0.7% [ yes, negative ]
  • Options
    tim said:

The pathetic whining and blaming of other people because he's seen as prioritising tax cuts for the rich is ridiculous.

No whining or blaming other people. It was an astute political move by Brown but bad for the country to raise the tax rate. It was always going to be politically difficult to defuse. But the Coalition did the right thing. It's called governing in the national interest.

@Charles - All of the UK's wealthiest people have seen their income taxes cut. Those who receive payment by dividend have seen the tax they pay here cut too. That some then choose to do things that may incur higher taxes than before is a different matter. As with VAT you choose and you may lose.

Stop trying to change the argument. Tim's point was on tax, not income tax. Total tax paid by the top decile has gone up. They have lost the most from the various changes the government introduced. They pay the highest share of income tax. The income tax cut was explicitly linked to a rise in stamp duty - even setting aside the beneficial behavourial changes.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Peter Lilley

Bloody LibDems. Change the rules when they get caught out.
  • Options
    The schizophrenic line may have taken a blow:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25345627

The owners of the firm that provided the interpreter at the Mandela memorial have gone missing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited December 2013
    Oh, how could I forget, every Prime Minister needs a Willie.

Willie Whitelaw, he was made a Viscount/Hereditary Peer, not a life Peer.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Peter Lilley

Bloody LibDems. Change the rules when they get caught out.
    Read the original question carefully !!

Clue - A Scot who found London was not paved with gold even when he put the hammer down.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Jack - George Younger because he became an hereditary?
  • Options

No. He's ever so slightly .... dead.

• Options
    surbiton said:

The latest ONS statistic shows private sector pay up by 1.1% and public sector down by 0.7% [ yes, negative ]

Is that average pay? If so, it may have gone down by recruiting people under the average (i.e. more employed), or even by reducing headcount for people above average.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Oh, I should have read the original question properly.

I'm like Hannibal at Zama.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Nobody's perfect, Jack!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I refer the Honourable (soon surely to be Baroned ) gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago !!

• Options
    I assume Danny Alexander was responsible for this Treasury Bar Chart.

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m

I've seen some strange graphs but this one, from Infrastructure plan, takes the biscuit. Check out left-hand scale.

pic.twitter.com/5ZQrV08JJF
  • Options

surbiton said:

Is that average pay? If so, it may have gone down by recruiting people under the average (i.e. more employed), or even by reducing headcount for people above average.
    Doubtless changes in the composition of the workforce will have had an impact (just as it did when people tried to use the same stats in earlier years to claim there wasnt a pay freeze in the public sector) but it should be borne in mind that the average quoted there does not include the average 1.3% pay cut delivered through higher member pension contributions.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    JackW said:

JohnO said:

I refer the Honourable (soon surely to be Baroned ) gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago !!

I'm hugely tempted to troll this last one for our leftist friends. Should I go with

a) Adolf Hitler - because it would confirm their view he worked for Thatcher
    or
    b) Nelson Mandela because it would confirm she wouldn't knight because she was a racist.

decision, decisions
  • Options
    Lord Gowrie - 'cause he was already a Lord when he entered the cabinet.
  • Options
    Schards said:

That's averages for you - they hide all manner of sins.

The other point is that the £4 per week this year, comes on top of similar declines for the last few years. The cumulative impact is starting to bite.
  • Options

JackW said:

JohnO said:

I'm hugely tempted to troll this last one for our leftist friends. Should I go with

a) Adolf Hitler - because it would confirm their view he worked for Thatcher
    or
    b) Nelson Mandela because it would confirm she wouldn't knight because she was a racist.

decision, decisions
    Lol .... but somewhat incorrect.

Further clue - He'll not let the sun go down on him or his clan even if they have links to Lancaster.

• Options
    Unlike most posters on pb, a substantial part of the general public follow the Keynesian approach: when the facts change, they change their opinions.

So the central question for the next 18 months is whether facts are going to change that would change some of the public's opinions.
  • Options
    I think I'm doing very well, considering I was only 12 when Lady Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister.

Sorry if that makes any you feel old.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    SeanT said:

I met that there Dan Hodges last night, at a Telegraph Xmas do, and I asked him this very question: how can Labour NOT win, with so much in their favour.

Yet I was not entirely persuaded. Right now I think Ed will scrape a tiny overall majority, or, more likely, a large plurality.

How did the quality of the bubbly at the party affect Ed Miliband's election chances, in Dan's opinion?*

*I'll hazard a wild guess...
  • Options

Lord Gowrie - 'cause he was already a Lord when he entered the cabinet.

Hooray !!

The Earl of Gowrie was Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster in Maggies Second Ministry. He left the government stating he couldn't live on the £33,000 salary.

Lord Gowrie became Chairman of Sotheby's for a short period and is the present Clan Chief of Ruthven. He's also a prominent member of the Elton John Aids Foundation.

• Options
    Charles said:

tim said:

No whining or blaming other people. It was an astute political move by Brown but bad for the country to raise the tax rate. It was always going to be politically difficult to defuse. But the Coalition did the right thing. It's called governing in the national interest.

Stop trying to change the argument. Tim's point was on tax, not income tax. Total tax paid by the top decile has gone up. They have lost the most from the various changes the government introduced. They pay the highest share of income tax. The income tax cut was explicitly linked to a rise in stamp duty - even setting aside the beneficial behavourial changes.

I am not changing the argument, you are. All of the wealthiest people in the UK have had a tax cut. Some now pay more tax overall than they did; others don't, they pay less.

• Options

The schizophrenic line may have taken a blow:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25345627

The owners of the firm that provided the interpreter at the Mandela memorial have gone missing.

This is hilarious and terrifying all at once - did the SA government really get in someone who literally knows no sign language? Unless I've missed something, all the sign language speakers I've read or heard comment on this have said the guy was literally making it up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    antifrank said:

Unlike most posters on pb, a substantial part of the general public follow the Keynesian approach: when the facts change, they change their opinions.

So the central question for the next 18 months is whether facts are going to change that would change some of the public's opinions.

Bulgarian and Romanian immigration
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164
    Charles said:

tim said:

What about VAT? Bears harder on the less well off/poor because it's on most things apart from most food.
  • Options

Charles said:

tim said:

I am not changing the argument, you are. All of the wealthiest people in the UK have had a tax cut. Some now pay more tax overall than they did; others don't, they pay less.

Hmm I suspect you're confusing the rate with the total tax package including allowances. A friend of mine who was on a big London salary said his biggest hit wasn't on the tax rate but that tax free pension allowances had been so radically reduced. I suspect that's one of the drivers of directors' pay as they shamelessly try to get back to where they were.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Kevin. The chap was stood next to a large number of VIPs. Whilst this is unacceptable incompetence to have him as the interpreter, it could've been much worse if he'd been a malevolent lunatic.
  • Options

Charles said:

tim said:

What about VAT? Bears harder on the less well off/poor because it's on most things apart from most food.
    in isolation yes. But the VAT increase was shoved through with a a host of other tax increases and you don't get a VAT exemption if you're well off.
  • Options
    Its always hilarious when somebody gets to do a job in the public for which they have no aptitude or right to do, the SA signer is the latest . We have had Flowers at the Co-op recently and who can forget that bloke who winged his way into letting Souness give him a game in the premiership and being total rubbish-even the SA signer does not come close to that cock up
  • Options

If the 50% rate was such a good idea, politically, why did Labour wait 13 years to implement it?
  • Options

Charles said:

tim said:

Hmm I suspect you're confusing the rate with the total tax package including allowances. A friend of mine who was on a big London salary said his biggest hit wasn't on the tax rate but that tax free pension allowances had been so radically reduced. I suspect that's one of the drivers of directors' pay as they shamelessly try to get back to where they were.

Again, though, that is a choice about how much you decide to put into your pension and how.

• Options

Ali Dia was his name!!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

If the 50% rate was such a good idea, politically, why did Labour wait 13 years to implement it?
    Now, now. They needed some time to think about it. Nothing whatsoever to do with salting the earth / leaving behind the odd land mine or two for the Tories.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

I assume Danny Alexander was responsible for this Treasury Bar Chart.

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m

I've seen some strange graphs but this one, from Infrastructure plan, takes the biscuit. Check out left-hand scale.

pic.twitter.com/5ZQrV08JJF

Its a log scale which is fairly common in science/engineering when you want to plot multiple values on one graph and some of the values are only a fraction of others. For instance in that graph Intellectual Capital and Waste at £1bn are 1% of the Transport and Energy spending at £100bn. On a normal scale that would be difficult to distinguish whereas on the log scale its easy to see.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,907
    SeanT said:

Define "people"!

I'm starting to think that Ed was, and is, the best choice of Labour leader to appeal to left-leaning ex-LibDems. He appears concerned about social justice, not gung-ho for overseas intervention, thoughtful, a bit wonkish and even awkward. All good qualities for this swing group.

Compare the alternatives in 2010: DavidM (far too Blairite to appeal to anti-Iraq leftist LibDems), Ed Balls (far too much of a bruiser for this sector of the electorate, it would be like LibDems voting for John Reid), Andy Burnham (tainted goods) and Diane Abbott (no comment).

It doesn't matter if the Conservatives like him (they won't vote for him) or, even, whether tribal Labour members like him (they'll vote for him anyway). What matters is that he appeals to the swing group of ex-LibDems, and I suspect he does this better than anyone other candidate.
  • Options
    Huzzah to Chuka.

Chuka Umunna ‏@ChukaUmunna 3h

A future Labour government would not tolerate segregation in our universities.
  • Options

Ali Dia was his name!!

Google Milton Nunez

This story is brilliant - a real case of mistaken identity. Sunderland were led to believe they were buying a player from Uruguayan top-flight side Nacional Montevideo. In fact, Nunez was then playing for a Third Division club, Uruguay Montevideo.

Unsurprisingly, he turned out to be rubbish and managed just 44 minutes for the Wearsiders and cost £1.5m, but this was recouped in an out-of-court settlement with Nunez, his former club and agent.

• Options

Charles said:

tim said:

Again, though, that is a choice about how much you decide to put into your pension and how.

On that basis everything is a choice. It's a choice if you work, it's a choice to take a salary at all. However aggregating everything anyone who has been stuffing a 6 figure sum tax free into their pension each year and who can now no longer do so will have a major hit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Further to the Earl of Gowrie ....

Lord Gowrie inherited his earldom from his grandfather in 1955 aged 15. The following year he inherited from his great uncle the UK title Baron Ruthven of Gowrie but his uncles Scottish title of Lord Ruthven of Freeland passed through the female line to the wife of Sir Walter Monckton who himself became Viscount Monckton of Brenchley in 1957 and whose grandson is OGH's favourite Ukiper
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10511143/Give-Lady-Ashton-the-credit-she-deserves.html

"David Cameron is said to have complained to President Obama that US officials didn’t seem to have heard of George Osborne although – and this clearly hurt – they all knew who Catherine Ashton was. The president apparently explained: “Well, yes… but she is the High Representative of all the countries of Europe.”

Chuckle. (The last sentence of the piece also offers an entertaining wartime anecdote.)

Presumably the other member states will be happy to give her another term, in which case the only problem is getting the Prime Minister to renominate her. I wonder if we should start a petition or something?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    tim said:

Brett Wigdortz ‏@Wigdortz 15m
    Ofsted inspects 1,144 independent schools, 40% don't have good leadership; a third ranked below good overall (vs only 20% of state schools)

A lot of people being ripped off in that sector

Yet independent schools dominate university entry. Must be something in the water.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    McCluskey and Unite rule...no reforms no primaries..Unite rule Labour..makes wee Ed look even weaker
This discussion has been closed.