Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move another month closer the killer fact for CON re

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move another month closer the killer fact for CON remains: LAB’s vote is still buttressed by LD switchers

We are now within 17 months of the election and the overall situation remains the same. Even if all the 2010 CON voters who’ve moved to LAB returned it would make very little difference to Labour’s majority winning vote share. Those 2010 LD switchers remain.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mike, I'm not sure that most people pay sufficient attention to politics to shift their votes. This parliament there have only been two major changes: the LD-Lab switch you notice and the decline post the 2012 budget. The latter, though, was more related to the media feeding frenzy that was sustained long enough that people noticed than actually any of the real measures in the budget.

Hence I don't think you can make the case that these voters are really sticky. They may be, but equally I think they will only really focus on the question when the election gets closer: do they really want EdM as PM or not?

As I've posted before there are three groups that really matter:

- 2010 LD/Lab: I think we will see a high percentage return and a significant NOTA component
    - UKIP: From NOTA they came, to NOTA will they return
    - "scared 2010": Labour ran an effective campaign and scared people into believing that the Tories would torch everything. The record has proved that is not the case. Perhaps Labour can avoid proper scrutiny of their plans (I'm still mystified as to how they managed than in 2010) but it may be they can't.
    - (There's also SLAB: Labour did much better in Scotland in 2010 vs England - how much was down to Brown's Scottishness?)

My money's still on a hung Parliament, with the Coalition continuing.
  • Options
    @Charles
    The polling by the former CON treasuer, Lord Ashcroft, underlines that the LD>LAB switching is much more pronounced in the key marginals than elsewhere. We are seeing the same in the Alan Bown funded Survation polling of the marginals by Survation.

Do 2010 LDs want EdM as PM? The numbers suggest that he as the edge with this group on Cameron.

The one GE2015 conclusion you can draw is that a CON majority is very remote. A continuation of the current coalition is quite possible. I'm on that at 9/1.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    After watching the first half of the drama "Lucan" on ITV, it occurred to me that this may be a rare example of a conspiracy theory which is true but doesn't get found out.

Something happens. A number of people are involved. They get caught or found out, either because they make mistakes and leave a trail of evidence, or because someone talks.

I this case (perhaps), Lucan disappears. His friends help him to disappear. They arrange for his body to be disposed of, never to be found. They cover their tracks and keep schtumm. They never blab.

In almost any other case, his body would have been found (washed up on the beach somewhere) or he would have been found alive (like John Stonehouse) or his friends would have confessed.

The other possibility is the almost equally unlikely scenario that Lucan managed to dispose of himself, without help, and without his body being found.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2013
    JohnLoony said:

After watching the first half of the drama "Lucan" on ITV, it occurred to me that this may be a rare example of a conspiracy theory which is true but doesn't get found out.

Something happens. A number of people are involved. They get caught or found out, either because they make mistakes and leave a trail of evidence, or because someone talks.

I this case (perhaps), Lucan disappears. His friends help him to disappear. They arrange for his body to be disposed of, never to be found. They cover their tracks and keep schtumm. They never blab.

In almost any other case, his body would have been found (washed up on the beach somewhere) or he would have been found alive (like John Stonehouse) or his friends would have confessed.

The other possibility is the almost equally unlikely scenario that Lucan managed to dispose of himself, without help, and without his body being found.

Thanks for reminding me about the Lucan TV show. Meant to watch it last night but forgot. I remember a big fuss was made about the case in 1994 on the 20th anniversary, and ITV did a reconstruction programme which was actually quite scary to watch.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The Guardian reports that the pope unexpectedly beat Edward Snowden to become Time Magazine's Person of the Year.
    The Daily Mail reports that the Pope beat Miley Cyrus to become Time Magazine's Person of the Year.
    Perhaps this means that I should complain the the Pope beat Daniel Radcliffe to become Time Magazine's person of the Year.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SPOILER ALERT

Careful how you handle this news PBers but the "killer fact" is that the general election isn't until May 2015.

Apparently too .... On Christmas Day in the pub Dave Cameron hands Sam divorce papers and Ed Miliband is revealed as a serial killer bumping off Labour voters and burying them under the patio. Meanwhile Nick Clegg and Nigel Farage are found to be long lost brothers but both are killed when an airliner crashes on the village pub where they are meeting.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    The 2010 switchers don't look likely to be going anywhere for the simple reason they were disaffected labour in the first place. That doesn't mean the Labour vote is fixed until 2015. My gut feel is that 2014 will see the 35% strategy fail as labour loses support, for once UKIP could become as big a headache to the left as to the right. I don't see Labour support switching to Cameron that much but instead a more multi-party world with the big two dreaming of the days when they could exceed 40%. HP imo as things stand today.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    The Autumn Statement was washed out of the news cycle almost immediately by the death of Mandela so it would be surprising if that had had much impact. I think it is notable, however, that as with the 2013 budget nothing much has unravelled. George was taken to pieces in 2012 by an absurd media storm about trivia but there has been no repeat.

On one view this is a little surprising. The fact that free school meals is not funded past the next election, for example, is frankly odd. But the media meme is now that the tories are nasty but competent on the economy and Labour are useless but mean well. I think this meme is now well established and both parties will struggle to do much about the negative part before the next election.

It may be that the 2010 Lib Dems do not much care about the economy and have other priorities but will the "useless" part make them wonder if those ambitions can be achieved? I think it will and that some, certainly not all, of them will ultimately return to the Lib Dems, especially in those seats where Labour is not an obvious player.

My guess at this stage is still that the tories will be the largest party again but short of a majority. The Lib Dems will be significantly diminished in terms of numbers but still large enough to hold the balance of power. Mike's 9-1 bet on a continuation of the Coalition looks a good one to me at this stage.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Who pays the most for energy in Europe?

Interesting tables for electricity and gas and how the bill is composed. Also given is energy personal indebtedness by country and energy deprivation by country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25200808
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Autumn Statement was washed out of the news cycle almost immediately by the death of Mandela so it would be surprising if that had had much impact. I think it is notable, however, that as with the 2013 budget nothing much has unravelled. George was taken to pieces in 2012 by an absurd media storm about trivia but there has been no repeat.

On one view this is a little surprising. The fact that free school meals is not funded past the next election, for example, is frankly odd. But the media meme is now that the tories are nasty but competent on the economy and Labour are useless but mean well. I think this meme is now well established and both parties will struggle to do much about the negative part before the next election.

It may be that the 2010 Lib Dems do not much care about the economy and have other priorities but will the "useless" part make them wonder if those ambitions can be achieved? I think it will and that some, certainly not all, of them will ultimately return to the Lib Dems, especially in those seats where Labour is not an obvious player.

My guess at this stage is still that the tories will be the largest party again but short of a majority. The Lib Dems will be significantly diminished in terms of numbers but still large enough to hold the balance of power. Mike's 9-1 bet on a continuation of the Coalition looks a good one to me at this stage.

And that meme sort of works in favour of a coalition 2. Voters can have economic competence restrained by the nice LDs to stop the tories doing anything horrid.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    It partly depends on what sort of election campaign the Lib Dems put together. These voters certainly didn't like Labour in 2010 and many turned out to vote even though it meant Tories getting elected; so they need a positive reason for voting for Clegg again (difficult for sure) and a gentle reminder that Miliband and Balls are the same useless pair that were major players in the disastrous Brown years.
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

Lots of things weren't funded, not just school meals, and although growth was revised up for this year and next it was revised down for the following three years as its based on a housing peak and credit rise timed for the election.

"George was taken to pieces in 2012 by an absurd media storm about trivia"

Destroying his "all in this together" meme by prioritising tax cuts for the wealthiest while proving incompetent may be trivia in PB Toryworld, in the real world it wiped 5% off the polling that the Tories haven't got back

As with the 2010 campaign which Osborne also blew with a 5% drop you just cant accept responsibility.

Yes, he's that crap and yet Ed Balls looks worse by comparison. How are Labour going to fix that ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

And that meme sort of works in favour of a coalition 2. Voters can have economic competence restrained by the nice LDs to stop the tories doing anything horrid.
    Yep, that is already Clegg's line and we will hear a lot more about it. As a softy, liberal kind of tory I almost believe it myself.

Personally I have been as comfortable with Coalition policy in the round than I have been with any government in my adult life. The tories of the Maggie/ Major era were good on the economy but really quite repellant on many aspects of social policy. I liked a lot of Blair's social policy but Brown was a total disaster. One of my major regrets (and his apparently) is that he did not get rid of Brown by 2002.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    DavidL said:

Exactly.

Lab=>LD switchers found that the economic incompetence smell remained in 2010 even when they were holding their noses.

Then !shock! the LDs didn't turn out to be Lab MkII. In fact of course they didn't even turn out to be LD MkI and hence the wave of revulsion from a large element of those switchers.

But.

Look at where we are now.

Has the Lab team transformed itself (no matter for better or worse but critically away from the last bunch)? Nope.

Are the Tories broadly getting the economy right? Yep.

Are the LDs wielding real power in a real government which, while not not following letter for letter the LD manifesto, has enacted some meaningful ("restraining") laws? You betcha.

So in GE2015 the economic incompetence argument and barrier to voting Lab will really have gone nowhere. We know that EdB is as safe as GO so Lab=>LD=>Lab switchers will take a long hard look at the proposed incoming Lab team and, I believe, many will switch back =>LD.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mike, I'm not sure that most people pay sufficient attention to politics to shift their votes. This parliament there have only been two major changes: the LD-Lab switch you notice and the decline post the 2012 budget ...

I wonder if we underestimate the effect of the fixed term parliament. The public pay little attention to politics at the best of time, but i'm sure a few are aware that the next election is definitely not until 2015 so they've tuned out almost entirely.

In any event I think these soft left voters turned away from the Lib Dems immediately after the coalition was formed (note the party's polling fell before Ed Miliband was elected) and won't pay much attention to politics again until forced to do so (nothing special about these voters, former Tories are similar).
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

Lots of things weren't funded, not just school meals, and although growth was revised up for this year and next it was revised down for the following three years as its based on a housing peak and credit rise timed for the election.

Destroying his "all in this together" meme by prioritising tax cuts for the wealthiest while proving incompetent may be trivia in PB Toryworld, in the real world it wiped 5% off the polling that the Tories haven't got back

As with the 2010 campaign which Osborne also blew with a 5% drop you just cant accept responsibility.

You do realise that taxes on the wealthy went up?

There was a reduction in one marginal tax rate, but both in absolute terms and as a % of income tax paid, the richest are paying more than they did previously.

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true, dear boy
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

There was a reduction in one marginal tax rate, but both in absolute terms and as a % of income tax paid, the richest are paying more than they did previously.

You think Osborne blowing the message is a lie, in the real work it blew the polling
    And the incompetence factor made it worse
    He did the same with the IHT pledge and a rubbish campaign in 2010, incompetent and giving tax cuts to your mates is bad in the polls
    Yeah tim, but Balls can't beat him. Labour have ceded the ground on the economy because they have someone more obnoxious than GO in situ. Welcome to the real world.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

Repeating a lie, when it has become the accepted "truth", sort of does make it true. And of course it's the Cons' biggest challenge to counter it.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    O/T..Myners=Co-op Group..Labour never learn
  • Options

@Charles
    The polling by the former CON treasuer, Lord Ashcroft, underlines that the LD>LAB switching is much more pronounced in the key marginals than elsewhere. We are seeing the same in the Alan Bown funded Survation polling of the marginals by Survation.

Do 2010 LDs want EdM as PM? The numbers suggest that he as the edge with this group on Cameron.

The one GE2015 conclusion you can draw is that a CON majority is very remote. A continuation of the current coalition is quite possible. I'm on that at 9/1.

That's my point Mike: I think most people have had their heads down working over the last 3 years to keep their jobs and eke out a reasonable life. They're not paying attention to politics.

I think things will change once they really consider the options. But may be they won't.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: the FIA want a 12th team for 2015 or 2016. A most entertaining suggestion is a second Brawn team, but I'm not sure that'll happen.
  • Options
    As if on cue the BCC forecast that the 2008 peak will be exceeded next year, in good time for the election: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10512648/UK-GDP-to-breach-pre-crisis-peak-next-year-says-BCC.html

Another part of the Labour mess the government will be able to claim to have sorted.

The reduction in the upper rate of tax was sound economics but very poor politics. There is no getting away from that. Charles is right but it really doesn't matter. The memes are set.
  • Options
    PB Tories should aware that on this site some Leftie posters are addicted to telling fibs..it is what they do..all the time.. Fans of old Josef
  • Options
    Or to put it another way - the ‘killer fact’ is that Clegg’s party has failed to entice LD>Lab switchers back into the fold, despite several attempts to disassociate themselves from their coalition partners.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Good morning, everyone.

F1: the FIA want a 12th team for 2015 or 2016. A most entertaining suggestion is a second Brawn team, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

What's the status of customer teams? I don't think they're allowed, but is there talk of allowing them?

I've always thought 26 cars is about the right number for F1 races, especially with the points system that goes down to 10th place. But with 13 teams, you will always have some struggling for funding. Marussia and Caterham have done well, everything considered.

There needs to be a proper resource restriction. And weight penalties for success. ;-)
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

You think Osborne blowing the message is a lie, in the real work it blew the polling
    He did the same with the IHT pledge and a rubbish campaign in 2010, incompetent and giving tax cuts to your mates is bad in the polls
    Yeah tim, but Balls can't beat him. Labour have ceded the ground on the economy because they have someone more obnoxious than GO in situ. Welcome to the real world.
    In the real world Balls has a lead over Osborne among the 2010 LDs - 30% last time MORI asked
    ROFL seriously is that the best you can come up with ? It's like me saying GO has a lead among 2010 Conservatives.

Simple fact is Balls needs to be moved on and Miliband won't do; it not so much the chumocracy as the crapocracy.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Spectator_CH: Labour denies Heathrow U-turn http://t.co/QH0A2auWZZ

Chortle
  • Options
    Did Newsnight touch on the Pollard Report last night ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

@Charles

That's my point Mike: I think most people have had their heads down working over the last 3 years to keep their jobs and eke out a reasonable life. They're not paying attention to politics.

I think things will change once they really consider the options. But may be they won't.

The LD to Labour switch happened almost as soon as the Coalition was announced, when the Tories actually retained the lead in the polls. It was an instantaneous reaction and nothing since then has changed. Given that, it's hard to see what might happen now to get those voters back into the LD fold - except, perhaps, that some may switch back to keep a Tory out.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @Mike

There seems to be an inability among the PB Tories to reverse their question about Ed being PM.

Do you want Dave as PM? Among the 2010 LIB switchers and of course the 2010 LAB group, the answer to the question is No, I should think.

KIP are the wildcard. I still can't ascertain whether their vote is soft or not. If it's not, CON are toast.

If it is another turquoise Coalition is possible, and is a good bet at 9/1.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's a complicated question.

Customer teams are verboten, currently. However, many feel the new (and stupid) governance laws are there to make them a viable option (either for a third car or a second, customer team). However, this would mean axing half the field and would not sit well with fans. It would also prompt the serious problems of, for argument's sake, a two year odl Red Bull being faster than last year's McLaren (a very bad scenario for PR), or multiple teams wanting just one or two cars.

Given the morons in the FIA got double points for Abu Dhabi and wanted two mandatory pit stops (happily defeated) I wouldn't put this lunacy past them.

Weight penalties are silly. A higher weight limit would be good.

Resource restriction has theoretically been agreed for 2015 onwards. Can't see it working, fully at least, though. McLaren and Ferrari have road operations. You can't limit their road car testing, so anything with an overlap between road cars and F1 will mean those two teams get a big advantage. No way around that.
  • Options
    'Fake' sign language interpreter at Mandela memorial claims it was 'schizophrenic episode'

However, David Buxton, the CEO of the British Deaf Association, has said he was purely making “childish hand gestures and clapping, it was as if he had never learn a word of sign language in his life”.

I think the term is Busted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10512672/Fake-sign-language-interpreter-at-Mandela-memorial-claims-it-was-schizophrenic-episode.html
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So Clegg is asmart chap if he wants more votes he needs to attack Ed ?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Yep, that [Voters can have economic competence restrained by the nice LDs to stop the tories doing anything horrid] is already Clegg's line and we will hear a lot more about it. As a softy, liberal kind of tory I almost believe it myself.

Personally I have been as comfortable with Coalition policy in the round than I have been with any government in my adult life. The tories of the Maggie/ Major era were good on the economy but really quite repellant on many aspects of social policy. I liked a lot of Blair's social policy but Brown was a total disaster. One of my major regrets (and his apparently) is that he did not get rid of Brown by 2002.

I think (maybe I should say 'hope' - I'm a paid up LibDemmer!) that line might work. While not agreeing with everything this government is doing (notably their refusal to let house prices drift downwards back to sane levels), I share DavidL's broad perspective.

I also reckon the continuing economic recovery gives the Lib Dems a sensible line to take into the next election campaign. They've been part of a government that (it seems) is presiding over a recovering and rebalancing economy, and in a funny way perhaps the fact that times are still tough for millions of people gives both the Conservatives and Lib Dems extra leverage for their 'Don't let Labour come back in and ruin things again' angle.

Certainly I found it notable that in PMQs, Cameron seemed so keen to talk about the economy. More than once (IIRC) he said he positively welcomed Miliband's questioning about the 'cost of living crisis'.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

Repeating a lie, when it has become the accepted "truth", sort of does make it true. And of course it's the Cons' biggest challenge to counter it.

It is not a lie.

I am paying less tax than I paid at the start of this parliament and I am a top rate tax payer. Some taxes that wealthy people pay went up, but if you do not have to pay those taxes then you are actually much better off than you were. The top rate of income tax has come down, as has the amount of tax paid on dividends. The only other direct tax I pay is council tax. VAT went up for everyone.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    I've been thinking about the polls, and I think I find myself being pulled towards OGH's position. Essentially, many of us think in terms of the Lab <-> Con swing, as that is the only thing that matters when it comes to discovering who the next PM is likely to be.

But voters are a bit more complex. When we talk about 'swingback', what we are talking about is the natural tendency of voters to use opinion polls as an opportunity to 'blow of steam', and send a message to 'their' team. (The same is seen in local elections.) So, come the election in 2015, we would expect to see a number of Conservatives who switched their allegience (in opinion polls) to Labour to come back.

The problem is that Labour's poll leads don't come from Conservative votings moving on mass to them - they come from former LibDems. There are very few Conservative to Labour switchers to 'swing back'.

Instead, the Conservative Party has lost voters principally to NOTA or UKIP. If they wish to benefit from these voters 'swinging back' they need to tailor their message accordingly, and this is why Lynton Crosby has focussed - rightly or wrongly - on immigration as a differentiator.

The truly good news here, however, is for the LibDems. If there is any 'swingback' from Labour, it will benefit them. And any move to the right by the Conservative Party brings the differences between the coalition partners into sharper focus. This makes it easier for the Lib Dems get back some of the voters they lost to Labour and to NOTA.
  • Options

Or to put it another way - the ‘killer fact’ is that Clegg’s party has failed to entice LD>Lab switchers back into the fold, despite several attempts to disassociate themselves from their coalition partners.

In many of the places where it matters to the LDs - in the LD/Tory marginals - the differentiation will have been noted. The Coalition is not great, but it is infinitely preferable to the Tories running things on their own.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I've been thinking about the polls, and I think I find myself being pulled towards OGH's position. Essentially, many of us think in terms of the Lab <-> Con swing, as that is the only thing that matters when it comes to discovering who the next PM is likely to be.

But voters are a bit more complex. When we talk about 'swingback', what we are talking about is the natural tendency of voters to use opinion polls as an opportunity to 'blow of steam', and send a message to 'their' team. (The same is seen in local elections.) So, come the election in 2015, we would expect to see a number of Conservatives who switched their allegience (in opinion polls) to Labour to come back.

The problem is that Labour's poll leads don't come from Conservative votings moving on mass to them - they come from former LibDems. There are very few Conservative to Labour switchers to 'swing back'.

Instead, the Conservative Party has lost voters principally to NOTA or UKIP. If they wish to benefit from these voters 'swinging back' they need to tailor their message accordingly, and this is why Lynton Crosby has focussed - rightly or wrongly - on immigration as a differentiator.

The truly good news here, however, is for the LibDems. If there is any 'swingback' from Labour, it will benefit them. And any move to the right by the Conservative Party brings the differences between the coalition partners into sharper focus. This makes it easier for the Lib Dems get back some of the voters they lost to Labour and to NOTA.

The LDs will win back Labour voters in the majority of the seats where they really need them. I think you can write off most of the Scottish seats and most of those where Labour is the principal challenger, but in the others we will see a high degree of switchback.

And as I keep on saying about Crosby - winning elections under systems in which voters get to make graded choices is very different to doing it under FPTP. The more he chases UKIPers, many of whom have no track record of actually going to the polls, the more he alienates 2010 LDs, who we know do vote.

• Options
    Lord Myners to lead review into how the Co-op Group is run:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25345253

Well, that'll be revolutionary.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it could be worse. It could be Labour appointing Flowers to lead a review into what happened at Falkirk.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, it could be worse. It could be Labour appointing Flowers to lead a review into what happened at Falkirk.

Or the BBC spending £3 million navel-gazing investigating itself incompetently.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

I think Flowers will be leading the Nigella enquiry
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2013
    If the 2010 LD to Lab voter switch really is settled, then the Lib Dems really are heading to fewer than 30. Please bear in mind that 33% of all LD MPs face Labour as their main rival. Another 7% face a non-Conservative as their main rival.
  • Options

Phew - those loans to Labour will be safe then.

• Options

Would it be known as a floral tribute?
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

In the real world Balls has a lead over Osborne among the 2010 LDs - 30% last time MORI asked
    ROFL seriously is that the best you can come up with ? It's like me saying GO has a lead among 2010 Conservatives.

In PB Toryworld appealing to the core is as significant as appealing to swing voters

But Labour haven't sought out LD and middle road voters. They have tacked to the left - hard.

They seem to have scooped up some fellow hard left LD travellers with their Marxist anti capitalist stances.
  • Options

If the 2010 LD to Lab voter switch really is settled, then the Lib Dems really are heading to fewer than 30. Please bear in mind that 33% of all LD MPs face Labour as their main rival. Another 7% face a non-Conservative as their main rival.

How many of the non-Tory challenging LD seats are marginal?

• Options
    If there is to be a Lab/LibDem swingback, and I believe there will be, the question is how much ?

As the Ashcroft marginal poll indicated the yellow peril were polling significantly better in the strongholds and much of this improved support will come from these returnees. Clearly other factors have to considered :

1. New voter rolls from 2010.
    2. Incumbency bounce in some seats.
    3. Differential turnout.
    4. Differential swingback.
    5. The campaign.

Working on around 50% swingback pulls Labour back, on ICM Dec 2013 numbers, to around 33% and the LibDems up to 16%
  • Options
    Nice to see that polling and arithmetic is the last comfort blanket of the left - they have basically given up on policy - just hoping the inbuilt bias and slow inertia of voters is enough to win the day.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Charles said:

As I've posted before there are three groups that really matter:

- 2010 LD/Lab: I think we will see a high percentage return and a significant NOTA component
    - UKIP: From NOTA they came, to NOTA will they return
    - "scared 2010": Labour ran an effective campaign and scared people into believing that the Tories would torch everything. The record has proved that is not the case. Perhaps Labour can avoid proper scrutiny of their plans (I'm still mystified as to how they managed than in 2010) but it may be they can't.
    - (There's also SLAB: Labour did much better in Scotland in 2010 vs England - how much was down to Brown's Scottishness?)

My money's still on a hung Parliament, with the Coalition continuing.

I agree about the key groups, but I think you're mistaken about the analysis. I don't know if you do any canvassing, but although it's hardly scientific I've talked to a couple of thousand people over the last few months, mostly with records of previous voting intentions for comparison. FWIW my impression is:

2010 LD/Lab: The most settled element of the electorate. They are viscerally anti-Tory, and although many aren't recoiling from the LibDems and often like a local LibDem councillor, they intend to vote to evict the government. They are emphatically not NOTA voters - on the contrary, they have on average stronger views than any other group except UKIP, and it's at a gut level which is immune to things like tax cuts or Falkirk. I don't know what they're like in LibDem seats, though - quite possibly they'll return home there if Clegg is sounding sufficiently anti-Tory by election day.

UKIP: seem highly motivated to vote - "at last we can stuff you lot". If the Tories keep swinging populist (not necessarily "right") they will get some back, but probably not a lot.

Scared 2010: Some do think the Tories have torched everything: there is a lot of unhappiness about NHS trends in this group. Others just think the Government has proved incompetent. Today's YouGov shows that just 1% of Labour 2010 voters have switched to the Tories. However, I think it's still open whether all this group will vote. I'm much more confident of 2010 LDs than of the these.

Scottish Lab: you may be right, I wouldn't know about that. Doesn't affect many seats though.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    This thread assumes they will vote. That is a huge assumption. Only the dedicated, probably former Labour voters anyway, will vote. The YouGov age splits are very interesting. A large Labour lead in the 18-24 age group means diddly squat since few bother to vote. A good Tory lead in the over 60s is important if the government is to be re-elected either as a single Tory party or the present coalition.

I think Scotland will provide some interesting results this time around, especially if the 2011 LibDem meltdown is repeated.
  • Options

At least 14 of the 23 taking into account effects of retirements.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Phew - those loans to Labour will be safe then.
    The Co-op Group no longer has control of the Co-op Bank.
  • Options

At least 14 of the 23 taking into account effects of retirements.

Well I'd guess that those 14 are almost certainly lost to them. All the others are probably in play though.

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

In PB Toryworld appealing to the core is as significant as appealing to swing voters

But Labour haven't sought out LD and middle road voters. They have tacked to the left - hard.

They seem to have scooped up some fellow hard left LD travellers with their Marxist anti capitalist stances.
    Yet another thing the PB Tories don't understand.

On all these issues you rail about Labour being Marxist, Royal Mail, Railways, planning permission, utiilities etc the Labour position is to the right of Tory Voters, thats what every single poll has shown no matter how much deluded PB Tories claim otherwise.

The issue is that right wing posters on here are so fundamentally out of touch with mainstream opinion even among Conservative voters that they increasingly resemble the fringe Tea Party blog contributors who didn't believe the polling in the USA.

"every single poll has shown"

Therin lies your problem tim - polls count for the square root of ferk all.

Real elections count - and in the last one Labour got 27.9% in England.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

I live in an area in which Labour lost a substantial number of votes to the Lib Dems between 2001 and 2010. However since 2010 the Lib Dem vote (in local elections) has collapsed and Labour has been the beneficiary. I canvass regularly so I speak to real voters, although of course my sample is not structured in the way a pollster's would be.

In my view most of the voters who moved from Labour to the Lib Dems in the noughties considered themselves to be to the left of new Labour. They oppose the use of private health providers, they are skeptical about academy schools, they oppose university tuition fees and they are unhappy about cuts in benefits and Council services. And, of course, they were particularly angry about Iraq. These voters, in general, would never consider voting Conservative.

The very idea of the Lib Dems forming a coalition with the Tories was anathema to these people. They were aghast that the party which they believed to be the most left wing in the political spectrum (as they see it) could do such a thing. They feel an almost personal sense of betrayal. And now that Labour has moved in a leftward direction and repudiated the Iraq disaster they are much more comfortable with returning to Labour (which many of them supported in the 1990s anyway).

Very few of these voters will return to the Lib Dems in 2015 IMO. And there is nothing that the Tories can do or say that will influence the voting preference of this group.

• Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10511143/Give-Lady-Ashton-the-credit-she-deserves.html

"David Cameron is said to have complained to President Obama that US officials didn’t seem to have heard of George Osborne although – and this clearly hurt – they all knew who Catherine Ashton was. The president apparently explained: “Well, yes… but she is the High Representative of all the countries of Europe.”

Chuckle. (The last sentence of the piece also offers an entertaining wartime anecdote.)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

@DavidL

[A]lthough growth was revised up for this year and next it was revised down for the following three years as its based on a housing peak and credit rise timed for the election.

tim

Do you have any evidence to support this assertion?

I ask because your conclusions appear to conflict with clear statements to the contrary by the Office for National Statistics.

See for example the commentary on GDP growth in this month's Economic Review:

Figure B shows that while growth was heavily dependent on a sharp rise in construction output during the earlier period [2009-2010], the distribution of growth between the sectors is more evenly distributed now. Between Q3 2009 and Q2 2010, the volatile construction sector accounted for a third of the total increase in output, despite representing only 6% of the economy. By contrast, in the first three quarters of 2013, growth was spread more evenly between sectors, with the services sector – which has risen more consistently during the period since 2009 - accounting for the bulk of the higher output.

Creating artificial mini-booms by stoking up one manipulable sector of the economy seems to be far more a Brownian than Osbornian tactic.

I suggest you withdraw you assertion quickly otherwise Rachel Reeves might report you to her friend, Sir Andrew Dilnot,

• Options
    Unless Lynton Crosby and his whizz kids can find a way of shifting the 2010 yellows back home then he’s doomed to failure.
    I still maintain that there is potential for a Lab - Con swingback as the election nears, if the Cons can win the votes of Labour 2010 voters who voted for the then incumbent government in uncertain times.

Now it is Cameron and Osborne who are the incumbents, and have the gravitas and credibility that comes from holding office, while these voters can be scared by blood-curdling tales of Labour failures in the past.

The important thing for Conservatives to remember about these swing-voters is that each one of them is worth double a Conservative voter lost to UKIP, or a Labour voter gained from the Lib Dems, because they debit the Labour total and credit the Conservative total at the same time.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Morning all :)

OGH has said this many times before and so have the polls since the autumn of 2010. Around 30-40% of the 2010 LD vote has gone to Labour and is currently staying put.

The statistic that surprised me is that Labour have only 80% of their 2010 vote which was historically low - where are the rest - UKIP perhaps ?

My view after Cameron's Spectator interview is that there won't be a Coalition after the next election - if the Conservatives are the largest party but short of a majority Cameron will try to carry leading a minority Administration rather than seek another five-year "deal".

The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers.

f Labour falls back to the degree that many on here seem confident (wishful thinking, hopecasting, who knows ?) the chances of a Conservative inority will improve but we need to see sustained slippage in that Labour number rather than Andy's much-vaunted topping off of the froth from yesterday.

I agree the two remaining Budgets will be hugely significant.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, the president's wrong.

She's the high representative (foreign mninister) of an organisation of which some of the countries of Europe are members.

If US officials don't know who the Chancellor is that says more about them than Osborne. It may be recalled that, whilst seeing the amusing, I was seriously unimpressed when Obama bought Brown a boxset of DVDs that wouldn't even work on a UK DVD player.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

@DavidL

Very few of these voters will return to the Lib Dems in 2015 IMO. And there is nothing that the Tories can do or say that will influence the voting preference of this group.

I think you are spot on - these subsection of voters can only switch between Lib>Lab>Green>Respect>SAH

And surely the best option for Clegg to increase his share. No doubt he will attack the Cons in a desperate attempt to scoop them up - but he should also consider attacking the paucity of Labours offering and the successes Libs have had in gov (£10k tax band).

• Options
    There's only one killer fact you need to understand: opinion-poll figures 16 months before an election are a poor predictor of the final outcome.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    So called "2010 LD Switchers" were probably 2005,01 Lab voters. They've gone home, that's why they're sticky.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,878

In my view most of the voters who moved from Labour to the Lib Dems in the noughties considered themselves to be to the left of new Labour. [...] The very idea of the Lib Dems forming a coalition with the Tories was anathema to these people. They were aghast that the party which they believed to be the most left wing in the political spectrum (as they see it) could do such a thing. They feel an almost personal sense of betrayal. And now that Labour has moved in a leftward direction and repudiated the Iraq disaster they are much more comfortable with returning to Labour (which many of them supported in the 1990s anyway).

Spot on, except that I think you're underestimating the size of the problem for the LibDems.

This isn't just restricted to 00s switchers from Lab. In my experience (and apologies for the anecdata) a significant number of tribal left-wing LibDems, supporters since the 1990s or even 1980s, have dropped their (sometimes lifelong) allegiance as a result of the Coalition. I know of one who's now a paid-up Labour member, one who's a paid-up Green, and another who has resigned her 20-year membership but not joined another party.

There is a problem for Clegg here. The longer he continues in coalition with the Conservatives, the less likely these people are to ever come back. A Con-LibDem coalition after 2015 is a mathematical possibility, but it would not do much for the long-term fortunes of the LibDems.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So called "2010 LD Switchers" were probably 2005,01 Lab voters. They've gone home, that's why they're sticky.

Factor in a bit of - Laws, Huhne, student loans, coalition with the evil Tories, child benefit being withdrawn etc and they need a nice cuddle and some bribes to bring them back.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    To be honest, Mr Flashman, there's plenty of evidence that the LDs are going to do all three.

So the three lines of attack are "look what we've accomplished", "look what we've stopped the Tories from enacting" and "look how terrible Labour's policies would be".

For the first time in over a century, the Party will also be campaigning on a record and not just on a series of aspirations. That and the experience of Government will inform the manifesto so I expect a much more coherent document than 2010's wish list as the Party has painfully learnt the lesson (hopefully) of leaving hostages to fortune.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2013
    stodge said:

.... The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers... .

I am not gleeful, I just struggle to square the "common view" that Lib Dem incumbency means that they will keep 40+ seats with the realities of the situation post GE 2010. Before GE 2010 my recollection is that the top 20 LD marginals were approx 75% vs Conservative and 25% Vs Lab/Other. Now that % is closer to 60/40. Here is one view from electoral calculus.
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html
  • Options
    stodge said:

To be honest, Mr Flashman, there's plenty of evidence that the LDs are going to do all three.

So the three lines of attack are "look what we've accomplished", "look what we've stopped the Tories from enacting" and "look how terrible Labour's policies would be".

For the first time in over a century, the Party will also be campaigning on a record and not just on a series of aspirations. That and the experience of Government will inform the manifesto so I expect a much more coherent document than 2010's wish list as the Party has painfully learnt the lesson (hopefully) of leaving hostages to fortune.

I agree - the LDs will be fine and will not lose many seats - perhaps Scotland being the exception.

My hunch is that 2015 will see relatively few seats change hands.

• Options

There are 8 out of 57 LibDem seats that are marginal with Labour second and majorities under 4000 :

Norwich S .. Bradford E .. Brent Central .. Burnley .. Manchester Withington .. Dunbartonshire E .. Birmingham Yardley .. Edinburgh W.

• Options

There's only one killer fact you need to understand: opinion-poll figures 16 months before an election are a poor predictor of the final outcome.

ICM Dec 2008 C38 L33 LD19
    GE 2010 C36 L29 LD23

Not bad really...
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, you may be right, although the term 'sticky' is a little unpleasant.

It's also worth mentioning that whilst attacking Labour may make most sense for Clegg in terms of winning more votes, shoring up his position within his party may mean he goes more for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited December 2013
    Where these LD switchers past Labour supporters who just couldn't vote for Brown?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Wishful thinking !!
  • Options
    If the Scots vote Yes then the polls now will have as much relevance as Mr. Blobby's Christmas number one single.

It will be interesting to see how that vote ends up going. I hope the result is decisive. The worst thing would be a narrow victory for one side.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Which means that the only hope for the Tories is to try to attract voters back from UKIP.

I don't meet many UKIP supporters in multiracial urban London but the few I have come across seem quite committed - they generally see the coalition as a continuation of new Labour and are not interested in the "vote UKIP get Labour" argument because they think Cameron is indistinguishable from Labour anyway.
  • Options

Unless Lynton Crosby and his whizz kids can find a way of shifting the 2010 yellows back home then he’s doomed to failure.
    I still maintain that there is potential for a Lab - Con swingback as the election nears, if the Cons can win the votes of Labour 2010 voters who voted for the then incumbent government in uncertain times.

Now it is Cameron and Osborne who are the incumbents, and have the gravitas and credibility that comes from holding office, while these voters can be scared by blood-curdling tales of Labour failures in the past.

The important thing for Conservatives to remember about these swing-voters is that each one of them is worth double a Conservative voter lost to UKIP, or a Labour voter gained from the Lib Dems, because they debit the Labour total and credit the Conservative total at the same time.

How do you know they are not already in the CON camp ?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Jonathan said:

GE 2010 C36 L29 LD23

Not bad really...
    Sure, if you pick one election and select from that the poll which happens to be closest, but if you look at the whole picture, in general the swings over 16 months in all sorts of elections (UK, Scottish, German being recent examples) tend to be quite substantial. Even sticking with ICM in the 16 months or so before May 2010, you'll find:

ICM 26 Nov 2008 C45 L30 LD18
    ICM 25 Jan 2009 C44 L32 LD16

As it happens, that period of October 2008 to Jan 2009 was particularly volatile, with Brown getting a big credit-crunch boost (bizarrely, but there we are), so it's not a good one to look at to see the general trend.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

Wishful thinking !!
    And from the poster who made money predicting that Free Schools would be a success. He 'aint stupid.

• Options

The LD to Labour switch happened almost as soon as the Coalition was announced, when the Tories actually retained the lead in the polls. It was an instantaneous reaction and nothing since then has changed. Given that, it's hard to see what might happen now to get those voters back into the LD fold - except, perhaps, that some may switch back to keep a Tory out.

Not exactly a positive vote for Labour then is it? A negative reaction to the coalition that might subside or disappear for some come the next election.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Millsy said:

Not exactly a positive vote for Labour then is it? A negative reaction to the coalition that might subside or disappear for some come the next election.
    Do you have an evidence for that, or is it just a hunch?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,985
    What do people use here as Margin of Error?

If it is fair to say that Labour or Conservatives cannot reasonably be expected to get less than 28 or any more than 40, LD range will be between 9 and 20 and UKIP between 4 and 15 then I would think the margin of error should be no bigger than 2 for any party.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

FPTP encourages negative voting and negative politics.

I'd say a lot of the Labour vote is primarily anti-Tory and vice versa.

• Options
    surbiton said:

How do you know they are not already in the CON camp ?I don't "know" anything - I'm merely outlining a possible way that the Tories may improve their electoral position which has nothing to do with the Lib Dem - Labour swing voters.

Also, by looking at ICM Guardian polls since 2010, I have shown that Con - Lab switching has sometimes (well, okay, twice) been more important to Labour than Lib Dem - Labour switching. The reason it looks small in polls now is that swingback from the Labour peak in 2012 has already occurred.

There has been more movement in swingvoters between Tory and Labour than Mike argues. There could be more - in either direction.
  • Options
    The best hope for the Tories is for the LDs to ditch Clegg and elect Cable.

Mr. Jonathan, you may be right, although the term 'sticky' is a little unpleasant.

It's also worth mentioning that whilst attacking Labour may make most sense for Clegg in terms of winning more votes, shoring up his position within his party may mean he goes more for the Conservatives.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited December 2013
    Cost of energy crisis...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25200808

Ed M needs to get out more and Cameron could do more to drop the greenwash taxes.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, given the approach of Labour, most notably with the likes of Alistair Campbell and Damien 'absolutely bloody brilliant' McBride I'd suggest it isn't FPTP that's the issue, but a combination of Labour's dirty tricks and the overwhelmingly negative approach of the media generally.
  • Options
    Dare I say with AV, the Tories and UKIP [ maybe, the Tories alone ] would have formed the government. The Lib Dems gave their coalition partners a lifeline which was spurned.
  • Options
    The latest ARSE General Election Projection has the LibDems on 39 seats, a net loss of 18 seats.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The best hope for the Tories is for the LDs to ditch Clegg and elect Cable.

Can't see that happening - one of the surprising things about the coalition is that there has been hardly any open dissent in the Lib Dems despite the political contortions and u-turns they have been through. The Lib Dems have been much more disciplined than the Tories since 2010.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

There aren't many positive votes for anyone these days, sadly. Take pb.com - I'm keen, Richard N is keen, MikeK is keen, and a few more; after that you find lots of people with doubts and reservations, though full of scorn for another party.

But the Lib-Lab floating vote is motivated and anti-Tory - it's simply an illusion to think they might vote Tory or abstain. I can imagine them voting LibDem, though - either in LibDem-held seats or if Clegg turns predominantly anti-Government - we tried but we were betrayed, etc. But I can't see that happening, can you? His basic problem is that there's a big Lib-Lab tactical vote to be held, but very little sign of a Con-LD tactical vote, so attacking Labour doesn't help him as it annoys the former and doesn't draw much from the latter.
    stodge said:

The statistic that surprised me is that Labour have only 80% of their 2010 vote which was historically low - where are the rest - UKIP perhaps ?

The other problem is that, as TC repeatedly and gleefully points out, the LDs may be down to 30 (his view, not mine) but the Conservatives will also ship seats to Labour on current numbers.

f Labour falls back to the degree that many on here seem confident (wishful thinking, hopecasting, who knows ?) the chances of a Conservative inority will improve but we need to see sustained slippage in that Labour number rather than Andy's much-vaunted topping off of the froth from yesterday.

Morning Stodge! You're misreading the pie-chart - it doesn't say that only 80% of 2010 Labour voters are planning to vote Labour, but that 80% of Labour voters are former Labour voters. According to today's YG, the actual figures for 2010 Labour are 89% still Lab, 4% UKIP, 3% LD, 2% SNP/PC, 1% Tory, 1% Green.

Not convinced the Budgets will move much - oddly, Budgets rarely have a long-term effect, mainly perhaps because in the end they don't change many people's circumstances: you work out that the net effect is that you gain or lose £14.72/year, and go "meh".
  • Options
    I demand , at least, one of the following threads:

1. The traditional "Ed is Crap" thread, or

2. Ed is weak, weak thread, or

3. Falkirk
  • Options

Mr. Observer, given the approach of Labour, most notably with the likes of Alistair Campbell and Damien 'absolutely bloody brilliant' McBride I'd suggest it isn't FPTP that's the issue, but a combination of Labour's dirty tricks and the overwhelmingly negative approach of the media generally.

It really is FPTP, though you may argue that Labour play more dirtily to best exploit it.

In 2010 I faced the choice of voting for what I wanted (to vote Green), against what I most feared (so to vote Labour to stop the Tories), or for what I thought might have the biggest effect (so to vote Lib Dem, as having the highest possibility of defeating a Blairite Labour MP, with the smallest risk of letting in a Tory by splitting the non-Tory vote).

You really do not have to go through such shenanigans with STV, or many other voting systems - though we've seen in recent years that the Additional Member System used in Scotland and Wales possibly encourages even more tactical voting than FPTP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited December 2013
    I suspect that the LD>Lab switchers represent either the Lab>SDP switchers of the mid 80's or their intellectual heirs.

In which case they (we) might well go back to LD if there was a possibility of either no coalition or an LD/Lab one, particularly where there is either a LD MP or a good chance of getting one, rather than a Tory.

Does begin to look though as though Tory voters in such places as Burnley and Rochdale would rather have a Lab MP than a LD.! Bizarre, perhaps.
  • Options

Millsy said:

There aren't many positive votes for anyone these days, sadly. Take pb.com - I'm keen, Richard N is keen, MikeK is keen, and a few more; after that you find lots of people with doubts and reservations, though full of scorn for another party.

But the Lib-Lab floating vote is motivated and anti-Tory - it's simply an illusion to think they might vote Tory or abstain. I can imagine them voting LibDem, though - either in LibDem-held seats or if Clegg turns predominantly anti-Government - we tried but we were betrayed, etc. But I can't see that happening, can you? His basic problem is that there's a big Lib-Lab tactical vote to be held, but very little sign of a Con-LD tactical vote, so attacking Labour doesn't help him as it annoys the former and doesn't draw much from the latter.
    stodge said:

Morning Stodge! You're misreading the pie-chart - it doesn't say that only 80% of 2010 Labour voters are planning to vote Labour, but that 80% of Labour voters are former Labour voters. According to today's YG, the actual figures for 2010 Labour are 89% still Lab, 4% UKIP, 3% LD, 2% SNP/PC, 1% Tory, 1% Green.

Not convinced the Budgets will move much - oddly, Budgets rarely have a long-term effect, mainly perhaps because in the end they don't change many people's circumstances: you work out that the net effect is that you gain or lose £14.72/year, and go "meh".
    Nick, you did not get the point. A "positive" vote is worth five times more than a "negative" vote according to the "How do I elect a Tory government somehow" manual.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dare I say with AV, the Tories and UKIP [ maybe, the Tories alone ] would have formed the government. The Lib Dems gave their coalition partners a lifeline which was spurned.

Indeed.

If the Tories fail to stay in government after 2015 they will have only themselves to blame.

They made three basic errors - failure to keep the Lib Dems on board with the boundary changes, failure to support AV (gratuitously insulting Clegg in the process) and the cut in the top rate of tax. These three factors seem set to doom them to another period in opposition and it becomes harder and harder to see how they can find enough votes in future to win a majority on their own.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It is ironic that, at the time of the referendum, AV was seen by many as a devious ploy by Nick Clegg to save as many Lib Dem MPs as possible, while it now seems possible that anti-Tory tactical voting encouraged by FPTP will save many Lib Dem seats, such as Eastleigh, that might have fallen to the right if we used AV.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,985
    edited December 2013
    UKIPs Paul Nuttall on Mandela... Possibly the least sugar coated obit to date

Paul Nuttall (@paulnuttallukip)
    12/12/2013 10:41
    In the Midweek Sport this week I discuss why Mandela should be judged on his successes AND failures.
    twitter.com/paulnuttallukip/status/411083347759075328
  • Options
    tim said:

Jonathan said:

GE 2010 C36 L29 LD23

Not bad really...
    Sure, if you pick one election and select from that the poll which happens to be closest, but if you look at the whole picture, in general the swings over 16 months in all sorts of elections (UK, Scottish, German being recent examples) tend to be quite substantial. Even sticking with ICM in the 16 months or so before May 2010, you'll find:

ICM 26 Nov 2008 C45 L30 LD18
    ICM 25 Jan 2009 C44 L 2 LD16

As it happens, that period of October 2008 to Jan 2009 was particularly volatile, with Brown getting a big credit-crunch boost (bizarrely, but there we are), so it's not a good one to look at to see the general trend.

Good job the Tories aren't still saddled with the pair of clowns who trashed that lead.

16 months before 2005, ICM C33 L38 LD 22.

Not bad either
    You are going to be even more bitter Scouse, when in 2015 the British people see the Balls/Miliband dream ticket and say no. Remember Kinnock. Perhaps then another obnoxious scouser Burnham will put his hat in the ring. If he succeeds a further 5 years of Cam and Os is guaranteed, they are young enough to go on and on.
This discussion has been closed.