Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now it’s being established that Russia did interfere with EURe

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Would you have been this blasé about Russian meddling it Remain had won 52/48 and it later transpired Putin’s troll army had been backing Remain ?

a) Everybody meddled. The UK Govt. meddled. The EU meddled. Obama meddled. The Establishment meddled. Seems the only people who weren't meddling were those lazy Remainers, sat on their big fat complacent arses.

b) You think we didn't meddle in USSR politics? Paybacks a bitch, as Mr Putin might say.

c) You REALLY think Putin influenced the final result?

d) Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......
    Confirms you’re a traitor to the UK.

When the trials come you will be exiled to Twatt or Middlesbrough.
    Oh the irony.

Man who wants foreign powers to rule our country calls those who oppose it traitors.

You should be fucking ashamed you Quisling.
    No I don't.

Leavers are not only traitors and Putin's useful idiots, Leavers are the modern day Vichyists, but you're too thick to realise it.
    You're beyond parody today. Liquid breakfast?
    Yet you do didn't get outraged by a Leaver calling me a Quisling.

That speaks volumes about you.
    You are the one who started throwing the word traitor around. If you can't take the responses then fuck.off and sulk elsewhere.
    You never get this outraged when SeanT uses the word traitor at Remainers.

Why is that Comrade Tyndall?
    I guess they don't like it up them....
  • Options
    calum said:
    Isn’t that an artefact of some websites.

I know symbols like ampersands confuse Wordpress and they occasionally turn out as upside down question marks.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Would you have been this blasé about Russian meddling it Remain had won 52/48 and it later transpired Putin’s troll army had been backing Remain ?

a) Everybody meddled. The UK Govt. meddled. The EU meddled. Obama meddled. The Establishment meddled. Seems the only people who weren't meddling were those lazy Remainers, sat on their big fat complacent arses.

b) You think we didn't meddle in USSR politics? Paybacks a bitch, as Mr Putin might say.

Oh the irony.

Man who wants foreign powers to rule our country calls those who oppose it traitors.

No I don't.

Leavers are not only traitors and Putin's useful idiots, Leavers are the modern day Vichyists, but you're too thick to realise it.

You are the one who started throwing the word traitor around. If you can't take the responses then fuck.off and sulk elsewhere.

The ironic thing is if Cameron and Osborne had come out for Leave you'd be calling Remainers traitors and Vichyists now.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

“I am working with children,” Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) sighs in mock exasperation toward the end of Zack Snyder’s Justice League. She has a point. This is surely the most infantile of recent superhero yarns - a film that squanders the talents of an impressive ensemble cast and eschews any meaningful characterisation in favour of ever more overblown special effects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/justice-league-review-dc-batman-release-date-buy-tickets-critics-rotten-tomatoes-a8055666.html

It's really amazing how DC continually try to match Marvel but continually fail to spot the reason why Marvel films are successful. Hint: it's not the special effects.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

The ironic thing is if Cameron and Osborne had come out for Leave you'd be calling Remainers traitors and Vichyists now.
    Nah. I opposed Dave and George on AV, I would have opposed them on this too.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

Yep. Party before country as far as TSE is concerned. He is more Petain than Putin.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,537
    edited November 2017
    Anorak said:

“I am working with children,” Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) sighs in mock exasperation toward the end of Zack Snyder’s Justice League. She has a point. This is surely the most infantile of recent superhero yarns - a film that squanders the talents of an impressive ensemble cast and eschews any meaningful characterisation in favour of ever more overblown special effects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/justice-league-review-dc-batman-release-date-buy-tickets-critics-rotten-tomatoes-a8055666.html

It's really amazing how DC continually try to match Marvel but continually fail to spot the reason why Marvel films are successful. Hint: it's not the special effects.
    Characterisation.

The funniest scene in cinematic history was in Avengers: Assemble and The Hulk interacted with the God that is Loki.

https://youtu.be/31ZjnrHR8EA
  • Options

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

Why should I get outraged when I agree with him?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

Bromwich Ham became Brumagem and then gentrified to Birmingham.

West Bromwich stayed West Bromwich. Up the Albion.
    I didn't know that. I've learned something today, so thank you.
    It also has the highest altitude football ground in the English League.

Not what you’d think really.

#uselesfact
  • Options
    Latest flash results from the ONS below.

The UK unemployment rate decreased by 0.2 percentage points to 4.3% in the three months to September 2017, compared with the three months to June 2017.

Real wages decreased by 0.5% (excluding bonuses) and by 0.4% (including bonuses) in the three months to September 2017 compared with a year earlier. An examination of the relationship between wages and industrial composition shows that between 2016 and 2017, two service sectors: accommodation and food (I) and transport and storage (H), were major contributors to employee jobs, but both were associated with relatively weak performance in median wage.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

I do recall you saying on here that you intended to vote Leave right at the start of the referendum campaign.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

calum said:
    Isn’t that an artefact of some websites.

I know symbols like ampersands confuse Wordpress and they occasionally turn out as upside down question marks.
    Just a long hold on android, and easily done by mistake. But here it's plainly an encoding issue, because ' is also being rendered as ¿.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/930739137283575809

Philip Sim‏Verified account
    @BBCPhilipSim
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Supreme Court justices unanimously reject challenge to ScotGov's alcohol minimum pricing scheme - a "proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim"

I wonder what the ECJ will say. It will be amusing if it strikes the Supreme Court's decision down.
    SCOTLAND has become the first country in the world to introduce a minimum price for alcohol after a Supreme Court ruling that the controversial plan did not break EU guidelines.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15662045.Scotland_becomes_first_country_in_the_world_to_introduce_minimum_pricing_for_alcohol/?ref=twtrec

It would be richly ironic if the SNP government were to lose an appeal taken to the ECJ!

Not sure if its a good idea or not - but its absolutely right that Scotland's government should be given the opportunity t find out. Best news for Offies in Berwick for many a year!
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

I do recall you saying on here that you intended to vote Leave right at the start of the referendum campaign.
    No I said I might consider depending on what Leave were proposing.
  • Options
    What Hillary Knew About Putin's Propaganda Machine
    Russian disinformation around Ukraine set the stage for the Kremlin’s election meddling here. Clinton saw it coming, but couldn't stop it.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/15/hillary-clinton-putin-russia-propaganda-election-215826
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

Now in fairness this is before Dave came back from Brussels having heroically negotiated Britain a special status in a reformed Europe.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

Careful, could be fake news :-) The more commonly accepted origin of the name of England's second city is that it is based on the name of its supposed Anglo-Saxon founder, Beorma. Beorma-inga-ham apparently means "the homestead of the tribe or people of Beorma".
  • Options

Russian disinformation around Ukraine set the stage for the Kremlin’s election meddling here. Clinton saw it coming, but couldn't stop it.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/15/hillary-clinton-putin-russia-propaganda-election-215826

I'd imagine the US was in a bit of a "people who live in glass houses" situation when it came to foreign countries trying to influence who governed Ukraine.
  • Options
    Ashcroft word cloud - American's views of Trump:

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/930746842731728896
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The Brexit apocalypse continues

ONS‏Verified account
    @ONS
    10m10 minutes ago
    More

The UK unemployment rate for July to September 2017 was 4.3% – the joint lowest rate since 1975 http://ow.ly/nnVM30gAAuw

A tribute to the magnificent stewardship of the economy by George Osborne and Phil Hammond.
    George and Phil are responsible you say ?

ONS‏Verified account
    @ONS
    6m6 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @ONS
    Jul-Sep 2017 was the sixth three-month period in a row where earnings including bonuses fell in real terms http://ow.ly/nnVM30gAAuw

That's because of Brexit/the fear of Brexit/The vote to Leave.
    No wonder the EU are saying no cherry picking..

No cherry picking without East European workers.
    In fairness there's no reason why we should struggle to recruit seasonal fruit and vegetable pickers. The gov't just needs to introduce a new seasonal workers scheme for workers outside the EU e.g Ukraine or Serbia. They used to have one for Bulgarians and Romanians before they full members of the EU.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Doesn't everything we've seen in the last year scream out that we need to re run the referendum? It was prejudiced from day one when the BBC and other news outlets were required to give equal weight to both sides. The result was that an ignorant public were convinced that expert opinion was equally divided when of course the true picture was overwhelmingly that leaving would be catastrophic.

No Roger - we need the politicians to grow up and support a great deal.

The Telegraph last night were outrageous and did not do leave any good.

Also TM has made a big error over the date and needs to reflect on how she resolves it.

TM is causing me concern, and this from a relative loyal conservative, and she needs to step up to the plate, increase the offer, and get on with it.

If and when we are ex EU and it does indeed prove a failure then there will be moves to seek a better deal with the EU or even re-join but I do not see how we get there wothout leaving
    That will lead to decades of internal division while the country slowly goes down the drain. Unfortunately this just hasn't been thought through and things will never be the same again. And as the EU closes ranks it will get even worse.

When we could see the spivs who were behind the Leave campaign it's a mystery to me why no one bothered to join the dots.
    Brexit is like a jenga tower - you can pull a lot of bits out of it without any obvious effect but eventually the whole thing comes crashing down.

A number of bricks have already gone - the theory that negotiations would be easy and the UK would get a good exit deal, the theory that the EU would break up, the theory that the referendum would unite the Tory Party and the country, the idea that "no deal is better then a bad deal", the idea that other countries would queue up to make trade deals with the UK and, of course, the infamous £350m for the NHS.

Two more bricks have gone today - the Telegraph front page is both bullying and slightly desperate and now these stories about Russian involvement cast further doubt into the mix.

The crash will come when the economic consequences, as set out by the car manufacturers yesterday, really start to hit. I guess that will be sometime toward the middle of next year.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited November 2017
    So what happens if I post a bottle of gin to my mother in the highlands from here in England - will McCustoms and Exise demand proof of pricing at the border ?

What if she mail orders beer from Adnams in Suffolk ?

Should I open off licences in Gretna and Berwick ?

More importantly - will the price of mail order beer/Harris Gin from Scotland to the south increase ?

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2017

Anorak said:

Characterisation.

The funniest scene in cinematic history was in Avengers: Assemble and The Hulk interacted with the God that is Loki.

https://youtu.be/31ZjnrHR8EA
    Weirdly I looked up that clip only yesterday to remind myself how utterly brilliant it was. The sound Loki makes at the end is just perfect.

Making the Hulk, the ultimate one-dimensional hero, into such a complex and fascinating character is genius.
  • Options
    All getting a bit heavy......some light relief.....

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/930746648761946114
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2017

Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, then we get into quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lack of trust in the police and politicians means people will just believe what they want anyway, and screenshotting and the like, as well as the rapid pace of the internet, means the regulators will always be slower than their quarry.

Not necessarily. It takes time to gain followers. Once an account is labelled as fake it becomes useless.

Not hard to create a bot to reply to fake news calling it out.
    That depends on how effective the bots are. A 'good' picture could gain tens of thousands of retweets virally before it's established that it's fake - and who's going to check the validity of a string of retweets or cut-and-pastes, even if it's possible?

As ever, the only true guard is the common sense of the people. If they need guarding from their lack of it, then we cease to be a functioning democracy.
    So apparently Facebook now integrates fact-
    We can also develop better social defences; One that springs to mind is relentlessly taking the piss out of gullible friends and relatives who spread bullshit. It's one thing this site is actually quite good at; With a few mysteriously obtuse exceptions, people who post here generally get better at posting stuff that's at least vaguely grounded in fact, because that's what the social dynamics encourage.
    Remember Plato?
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Doesn't everything we've seen in the last year scream out that we need to re run the referendum? It was prejudiced from day one when the BBC and other news outlets were required to give equal weight to both sides. The result was that an ignorant public were convinced that expert opinion was equally divided when of course the true picture was overwhelmingly that leaving would be catastrophic.

No Roger - we need the politicians to grow up and support a great deal.

The Telegraph last night were outrageous and did not do leave any good.

Also TM has made a big error over the date and needs to reflect on how she resolves it.

TM is causing me concern, and this from a relative loyal conservative, and she needs to step up to the plate, increase the offer, and get on with it.

If and when we are ex EU and it does indeed prove a failure then there will be moves to seek a better deal with the EU or even re-join but I do not see how we get there wothout leaving
    That will lead to decades of internal division while the country slowly goes down the drain. Unfortunately this just hasn't been thought through and things will never be the same again. And as the EU closes ranks it will get even worse.

When we could see the spivs who were behind the Leave campaign it's a mystery to me why no one bothered to join the dots.
    Brexit is like a jenga tower - you can pull a lot of bits out of it without any obvious effect but eventually the whole thing comes crashing down.

A number of bricks have already gone - the theory that negotiations would be easy and the UK would get a good exit deal, the theory that the EU would break up, the theory that the referendum would unite the Tory Party and the country, the idea that "no deal is better then a bad deal", the idea that other countries would queue up to make trade deals with the UK and, of course, the infamous £350m for the NHS.

Two more bricks have gone today - the Telegraph front page is both bullying and slightly desperate and now these stories about Russian involvement cast further doubt into the mix.

The crash will come when the economic consequences, as set out by the car manufacturers yesterday, really start to hit. I guess that will be sometime toward the middle of next year.
    The image that "The Brexit Mutineers" conjured up for me was Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox cast adrift in a life raft thousands of miles from land while the rest of the country hightails it to somewhere more promising.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

Albion - A literary term for Britain or England, often used when referring to ancient or historical times.
  • Options
    Theresa May has excellent judgment, never doubted her

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/930749069416427520
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, then we get into quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lack of trust in the police and politicians means people will just believe what they want anyway, and screenshotting and the like, as well as the rapid pace of the internet, means the regulators will always be slower than their quarry.

Not necessarily. It takes time to gain followers. Once an account is labelled as fake it becomes useless.

Not hard to create a bot to reply to fake news calling it out.
    That depends on how effective the bots are. A 'good' picture could gain tens of thousands of retweets virally before it's established that it's fake - and who's going to check the validity of a string of retweets or cut-and-pastes, even if it's possible?

As ever, the only true guard is the common sense of the people. If they need guarding from their lack of it, then we cease to be a functioning democracy.
    So apparently Facebook now integrates fact-
    We can also develop better social defences; One that springs to mind is relentlessly taking the piss out of gullible friends and relatives who spread bullshit. It's one thing this site is actually quite good at; With a few mysteriously obtuse exceptions, people who post here generally get better at posting stuff that's at least vaguely grounded in fact, because that's what the social dynamics encourage.
    Remember Plato?
    The philosopher or the PB poster?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited November 2017
    TGOHF said:

So what happens if I post a bottle of gin to my mother in the highlands from here in England - will McCustoms and Exise demand proof of pricing at the border ?

More importantly - will the price of mail order beer/Harris Gin from Scotland to the south increase ?

The way the trend is going your mother will shortly open an artisan gin distillery of her own. Everyone else seems to be.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

But the fact that you were supposedly wavering but then able to immerse yourself in the Remain campaign just a few weeks later and now calling Leavers traitors etc does suggest a certain shallowness and lack of firm principles. As a staunch Remainer and Remoaner I'm sorry to say this, and it's nothing personal, but our side of the argument would probably have done better without people like you dominating it.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The impact of Russian meddling on Twitter isn’t restricted to under 25s as some are claiming. Many of the fake news/memes postings end up on Facebook which has a surprisingly high number of users in their 30s and 40s. And of course the lies can be spread by word of mouth in the pub etc, not just online.
  • Options

It was certainly not the case before the GE. Has that changed now? Do we really give her the ability to be so dexterous?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

I'd imagine the US was in a bit of a "people who live in glass houses" situation when it came to foreign countries trying to influence who governed Ukraine.
    That's certainly Seamus Milne's opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/30/russia-ukraine-war-kiev-conflict

Frankly I'm far more worried about him having any influence after the next election, than any meddling Russia may have done in the last...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

The way the trend is going your mother will shortly open an artisan gin distillery of her own. Everyone else seems to be.
    Another Archers listener?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762
    Hmm. He ends his article with:

Farfetched? Perhaps, but easier to explain than a row with literally no other benefits to Theresa May.

His argument is that doing this is so stupid, Mrs May can't possibly be genuine. I think she's genuine.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

Careful, could be fake news :-) The more commonly accepted origin of the name of England's second city is that it is based on the name of its supposed Anglo-Saxon founder, Beorma. Beorma-inga-ham apparently means "the homestead of the tribe or people of Beorma".

But did Bromwich derive from Beorma?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited November 2017
    Duplicate
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited November 2017
    TGOHF said:

The minimum unit price of 50p per unit will mostly affect cheap white ciders and value spirits with high alcohol content

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

So minimum retail price for a 750ml 40% bottle of gin will be £15. So some of the cheaper Aldi gins will have to go up, for example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aldi-selling-8-types-of-gin-ready-for-christmas-and-theyre-all-under-20_uk_59bbae84e4b0edff971b2acb
  • Options

Yes, it's not like the US ever tries to influence what is going on in other countries. Oh no, Sirree.

Ahem.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

Would you have been this bn ?

a.......

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

But the fact that you were supposedly wavering but then able to immerse yourself in the Remain campaign just a few weeks later and now calling Leavers traitors etc does suggest a certain shallowness and lack of firm principles. As a staunch Remainer and Remoaner I'm sorry to say this, and it's nothing personal, but our side of the argument would probably have done better without people like you dominating it.
    Nah.

Many people were on the fence previously, mainly as a function of not giving too much of a fuck about it.

But the subsequent briefest, most cursory investigation and analysis showed that it was unambiguously in the UK's best interests to stay in, that to Leave would seriously harm the people of this country, and that the Leave argument was almost wholly fallacious (nothing to do with the £350m).
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

I’m not sure me delivering leaflets and canvassing in Sheffield and West Yorkshire for Remain counts me as dominating the Remain campaign.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

Another Archers listener?
    Actually no but I have several friends who have done or are planning to do so.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502

If the referendum result had been within a couple of hundred - or even thousand - votes - there might some grounds for questioning its validity - but not when the gap is nearly 1.3 million.

In any case the greatest users of Twitter - the young - were least likely to vote for Brexit.

Did Russian meddling play a role? Possibly, but its unmeasurably small. Things like no temporary control on immigration from the A8 (however beneficial it was) will have been many orders of magnitude more important...and then there's the bus, the losers unaccountably keep drawing attention to....

Will some claim this invalidates the result?

Quite likely, nearer the event, as one by one their Firewalls crumble.....

Straw clutching I suggest.
    Yes it is - rather sad. One wonders what they'll try to undermine the result next.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762
    edited November 2017
    I doubt Putin won the Brexit vote, although I believe the Russian inspired Comey intervention did swing it for Trump.

Russia's aims are to destabilise Britain, the EU and the US and to some extent it has succeeded. For someone on the other side of those battles it doesn't make me feel good.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited November 2017
    $18bn donation to Open Society .. feck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZLr0TtPjUc
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    calum said:
    It's an iPhone issue. Their smart quotes get mangled when writing in various internet comment boxes.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Regular update on butter prices.Trigger warning-could increase blood pressure.Prior to Brexit a 250 mgs block butter at Tesco was 96p.It is now £1.60.Mrs Volcano's coffee has also risen from £4 to £5 for 200 gms.Lurpak 500 gms was available at 2 for a fiver not so long back and it's now 2 for six quid.
    Lidl's has become my second home.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

A local historian, William Hamper compiled a list of spellings of Birmingham from contemporary documents which he published in 1880:

1086 Birmingeha; 1189 Brumingeham;
    1200 Brimingham; 1214 Birminggeham; 1221 Burmingeham; 1227 Birmingham; 1227 Byrmyngham;
    1235 Burmingham; 1245 Bermincham; 1247 Bermigham; 1248 Bermingham; 1256 Bremingeham;
    1260 Burmincham; 1262 Burmigham; 1262 Burmungeham; 1285 Bernigeham; 1282 Byrmychiham;
    1292 Birmyngham; 1292 Burmegham; 1297 Burmynchham; 1297 Bermygham;
    1317 Burmicham; 1320 Birmyncham; 1320 Byrmincham; 1326 Bermyncham; 1330 Birmincham;
    1332 Burmyncham; 1354 Burmincheham; 1337 Brimygham; 1377 Brymygham; 1387 Burmyngham;
    1398 Bremyngeham;
    1402 Brymecham; 1421 Birmyncham; 1421 Birmicham; 1424 Brymmyngham; 1438 Burmyngeham;
    1440 Byrmyncham; 1457 Byrmycham; 1460 Brymygeham; 1469 Brymycham; 1476 Birmyngeham;
    1486 Brimyncham; 1489 Birmycham;
    1500 Brymyngham; 1504 Bromechham; 1506 Brymyscham; 1514 Brymingham; 1519 Brymmncham;
    1520 Bormycham; 1520 Brymyngiam; 1522 Bremygiam; 1529 Bremycham; 1535 Bermegam;
    1535 Brymmyngeham; 1537 Bremmycham; 1537 Brymedgham; 1538 Bromycheham; 1548 Bremyngham;
    1549 Brymyncham; 1550 Burmycheham; 1553 Brimincham; 1573 Breemejam; 1576 Bromwicham;
    1586 Bryngham; 1590 Brymicham; 1591 Bromecham; 1591 Brymigham;
    1603 Bermicham; 1603 Bromicham; 1650 Bromegem; 1675 Bromwichham; 1679 Bromwicham;
    1686 Brymmyngiam.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

I’m not sure me delivering leaflets and canvassing in Sheffield and West Yorkshire for Remain counts me as dominating the Remain campaign.
    "People like you" includes Cameron and Osborne. Neither of whom had a good word to say about the EU in their entire political career until the Remain campaign.
  • Options

Yes, it's not like the US ever tries to influence what is going on in other countries. Oh no, Sirree.

Ahem.
    Did they not in fact try to influence the EUref result? Repeatedly?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Ahem.
    Did they pretend to be Bob from Lancashire as they did so?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

Nah.

Many people were on the fence previously, mainly as a function of not giving too much of a fuck about it.

Which is why a reversal of the process, if and when it happens, will not cause the sky to fall in or threaten the future of democracy - most people do not feel strongly about the issue either way. I work in a non-political environment and it hardly ever comes up in office conversation. At board level people are very worried but everyone else is much more interested in Strictly. Brexit has not impacted. Yet.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

a.......

Oh the irony.

No I don't.

Nah.

But the subsequent briefest, most cursory investigation and analysis showed that it was unambiguously in the UK's best interests to stay in, that to Leave would seriously harm the people of this country, and that the Leave argument was almost wholly fallacious (nothing to do with the £350m).
    That's all true IMO, but with a few exceptions like Clarke and Heseltine, no top-level Tory has had anything positive to say about the EU since circa 1990. When 70% of them were suddenly broadcasting the virtues of Remaining in the EU after a political lifetime of highlighting their Euroscepticism, it's hardly surprising in retrospect that they all looked like shallow careerists.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

Nah.

People who don't give a feck typically stay at home and don't vote, which is somewhat at odds with the record turnout for the referendum.

All those men in white vans that came to polling stations asking what to do because they had never voted before ? The obvious reaction of someone that doesnt give a feck I am sure.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

Ahem.
    "Back of the queue".

That was one of the key moments that swayed my vote. It wasn't a subtle, covert attempt at manipulating the vote by a hostile power. It was an overt threat from a supposedly friendly power.

Of course, the behaviour of the hostile foreign power that had the greatest influence on my vote was... the EU. As far as I'm concerned they've dedicated more time to undermining democracy in this country than Putin has.
  • Options

Regular update on butter prices.Trigger warning-could increase blood pressure.Prior to Brexit a 250 mgs block butter at Tesco was 96p.It is now £1.60.Mrs Volcano's coffee has also risen from £4 to £5 for 200 gms.Lurpak 500 gms was available at 2 for a fiver not so long back and it's now 2 for six quid.
    Lidl's has become my second home.

Europe is in the throes of a butter shortage.

Rising demand and a decline in milk production has led to a doubling in the price of the dairy spread this year. French bakeries want to raise the price of pastries, brioches and croissants that are dependent on butter, while the chief executive of Arla, the company behind the Anchor and Lurpak dairy brands, last week warned UK consumers that there would not be enough butter at Christmas.

The strains in Europe have global origins. The combination of falling milk output in key producing countries and adverse weather sent the international butter price to a record high in June, according to the UN Food and Agricultural Organization.

“Limited export availabilities of dairy products in all major producing countries” led to significant rises in dairy prices, including butter, the FAO said this month.

https://www.ft.com/content/8550f05a-6649-11e7-8526-7b38dcaef614
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Comrade Leavers.

a.......
    ugh.
    Oh g.
    No I don't.

Leaverse it.
    Youid breakfast?

Nah.

That's all true IMO, but with a few exceptions like Clarke and Heseltine, no top-level Tory has had anything positive to say about the EU since circa 1990. When 70% of them were suddenly broadcasting the virtues of Remaining in the EU after a political lifetime of highlighting their Euroscepticism, it's hardly surprising in retrospect that they all looked like shallow careerists.
    I hear that but many people, myself included, believe that the EU is far from perfect. But criticising the EU for this or that is a world away from actually deciding to leave the thing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nah.

People who don't give a feck typically stay at home and don't vote, which is somewhat at odds with the record turnout for the referendum.

All those men in white vans that came to polling stations asking what to do because they had never voted before ? The obvious reaction of someone that doesnt give a feck I am sure.

huh? It was an election, a referendum with all the attendant hype. It is perfectly possible for someone not to have given a fuck about it previously but to go out and vote on it, come the day.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited November 2017
    Labour and Tories both on 41% in latest Guardian/ICM poll

And here are the latest ICM state-of-the-party polling figures.

Labour: 41% (down 1 from Guardian/ICM three weeks ago)

Conservatives: 41% (down 1)

Lib Dems: 7% (no change)

Ukip: 4% (up 1)

Greens: 2% (no change)

Guardian
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I doubt Putin won the Brexit vote, although I believe the Russian inspired Comey intervention did swing

Alistair said:

Ahem.
    Did they pretend to be Bob from Lancashire as they did so?
    Since 'troll factories' aren't (surprisingly enough) a Russian invention, they may well have. As may have our own intelligence services. All of which is hardly the point. Blatant or subtle, it's still foreign interference. If you're theoretically factoring in Putins tweetbots, how many votes do you knock off Remain's total for America's manifold interventions?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nah.

huh? It was an election, a referendum with all the attendant hype. It is perfectly possible for someone not to have given a fuck about it previously but to go out and vote on it, come the day.
    You mean like a General Election that typically has just over half the level of turnout ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nah.

Which is why a reversal of the process, if and when it happens, will not cause the sky to fall in or threaten the future of democracy - most people do not feel strongly about the issue either way. I work in a non-political environment and it hardly ever comes up in office conversation. At board level people are very worried but everyone else is much more interested in Strictly. Brexit has not impacted. Yet.
    I had a meeting with the European Commission in Brussels on Monday. Though about a dry and mostly unrelated issue (future framework for assessing dumping of steel), it was with officials from the trade directorate who are therefore probably quite clued up about what's going on in Brexit talks. The overwhelming sense I got was that there's no expectation of Brexit happening in any meaningful sense. If not a total reversal then they may be expecting some kind of Brexit in name only. Much as William Glenn is ridiculed on here, it suggests he may be correct that the government in private is preparing for the mother of all back tracks.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

TGOHF said:

The minimum unit price of 50p per unit will mostly affect cheap white ciders and value spirits with high alcohol content

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

So minimum retail price for a 750ml 40% bottle of gin will be £15. So some of the cheaper Aldi gins will have to go up, for example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aldi-selling-8-types-of-gin-ready-for-christmas-and-theyre-all-under-20_uk_59bbae84e4b0edff971b2acb
    “The Supreme Court’s decision today is disappointing, but we should be thankful that the legal action has delayed the implementation of this pernicious policy by five years, thereby saving Scottish drinkers hundreds of millions of pounds.

“Minimum alcohol pricing is a policy that clobbers the poor and exempts the rich. Most of the beer, cider and spirits sold in the off trade will become more expensive under a 50p minimum price, but doctors and politicians can relax. The champagne at their Christmas parties will not be affected.”

– Chris Snowdon, Head of Lifestyle Economics at the Institute of Economic Affairs
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting fact.

A local historian, William Hamper compiled a list of spellings of Birmingham from contemporary documents which he published in 1880:

1086 Birmingeha; 1189 Brumingeham;
    1200 Brimingham; 1214 Birminggeham; 1221 Burmingeham; 1227 Birmingham; 1227 Byrmyngham;
    1235 Burmingham; 1245 Bermincham; 1247 Bermigham; 1248 Bermingham; 1256 Bremingeham;
    1260 Burmincham; 1262 Burmigham; 1262 Burmungeham; 1285 Bernigeham; 1282 Byrmychiham;
    1292 Birmyngham; 1292 Burmegham; 1297 Burmynchham; 1297 Bermygham;
    1317 Burmicham; 1320 Birmyncham; 1320 Byrmincham; 1326 Bermyncham; 1330 Birmincham;
    1332 Burmyncham; 1354 Burmincheham; 1337 Brimygham; 1377 Brymygham; 1387 Burmyngham;
    1398 Bremyngeham;
    1402 Brymecham; 1421 Birmyncham; 1421 Birmicham; 1424 Brymmyngham; 1438 Burmyngeham;
    1440 Byrmyncham; 1457 Byrmycham; 1460 Brymygeham; 1469 Brymycham; 1476 Birmyngeham;
    1486 Brimyncham; 1489 Birmycham;
    1500 Brymyngham; 1504 Bromechham; 1506 Brymyscham; 1514 Brymingham; 1519 Brymmncham;
    1520 Bormycham; 1520 Brymyngiam; 1522 Bremygiam; 1529 Bremycham; 1535 Bermegam;
    1535 Brymmyngeham; 1537 Bremmycham; 1537 Brymedgham; 1538 Bromycheham; 1548 Bremyngham;
    1549 Brymyncham; 1550 Burmycheham; 1553 Brimincham; 1573 Breemejam; 1576 Bromwicham;
    1586 Bryngham; 1590 Brymicham; 1591 Bromecham; 1591 Brymigham;
    1603 Bermicham; 1603 Bromicham; 1650 Bromegem; 1675 Bromwichham; 1679 Bromwicham;
    1686 Brymmyngiam.
    According to Wikipedia, West Bromwich was first mentioned as Bromwic ('broom village') in the Domesday Book of 1086, with the "West" added later to distinguish it from Castle Bromwich to the east of Birmingham. So the Domesday Bromwic doesn't appear to be etymologically related to the contemporaneous Bermingeham. To me, it looks more at though its name perhaps become confused with those of its neighbouring villages by some authors writing later in the middle ages.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/930739137283575809

Philip Sim‏Verified account
    @BBCPhilipSim
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Supreme Court justices unanimously reject challenge to ScotGov's alcohol minimum pricing scheme - a "proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim"

I wonder what the ECJ will say. It will be amusing if it strikes the Supreme Court's decision down.
    SCOTLAND has become the first country in the world to introduce a minimum price for alcohol after a Supreme Court ruling that the controversial plan did not break EU guidelines.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15662045.Scotland_becomes_first_country_in_the_world_to_introduce_minimum_pricing_for_alcohol/?ref=twtrec

It would be richly ironic if the SNP government were to lose an appeal taken to the ECJ!

Not sure if its a good idea or not - but its absolutely right that Scotland's government should be given the opportunity t find out. Best news for Offies in Berwick for many a year!
    My childhood and teenage home town now a tax haven for Scots !!!!!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Interesting fact.

Or, right up the Albion, as the Villans might say...
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Its astonishing the extent to which remainers are prepared to discredit a democratic referendum result.

But presumably Russia also interfered in the British general election to get Jeremy Corbyn elected?

Does that invalidate the fact that he did better than expected?

Whats good for the goose............
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    felix said:

Labour and Tories both on 41% in latest Guardian/ICM poll

And here are the latest ICM state-of-the-party polling figures.

Labour: 41% (down 1 from Guardian/ICM three weeks ago)

Conservatives: 41% (down 1)

Lib Dems: 7% (no change)

Ukip: 4% (up 1)

Greens: 2% (no change)

Guardian

Thats a terrible result for Labour. Miliband was 12 points ahead. No opposition that wasnt 15 points ahead between elections ever won the ensuing election. If Labour cant be 20 points ahead now, it never will be.
This discussion has been closed.