Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The response to the death of Mrs. Thatcher – today’s YouGov

13»

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013

"But MacDivvie, the SNP, with a few notable exceptions, our very own James Kelly being one, are really just Thatcherites in kilts."

You'd have a nervous breakdown if you ever actually attended an SNP conference, Cousin of Seth. They're all like me.

Talking of distant cousins, James, I have one north of the border in Perth.

He is very dour; wears a kilt on the London Underground; organises Highland Games when back home; attends SNP functions and is about as right wing as an energy economist from the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I stopped talking to him when he forsook the noble party of Sir Malcolm Rifkind to pursue fresh woods and pastures new.

I very much doubt he is like you, James. You appear to me to be far too cheerful.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Talking of distant cousins, James, I have one north of the border in Perth.

He is very dour; wears a kilt on the London Underground; organises Highland Games when back home; attends SNP functions and is about as right wing as an energy economist from the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I stopped talking to him when he forsook the noble party of Sir Malcolm Rifkind to pursue fresh woods and pastures new."

You and Seth really must bury the hatchet.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

"But more mines were closed during Harold Wilson’s two terms in office than in Thatcher’s three"

Will that be the 798th or 799th time I've heard a Tory make that claim over the last few days? I've no idea if it's true, but the subtext does appear to be "closing mines is bad". Not a typical Tory sentiment.

What those making this "killer" point seem to forget is that when the mines closed in the 50s and 60s, and even in the 70s, there were other jobs to go to. The difference in the 80s was that there were no jobs to go to when heavy industry closed down. It's not the closing of the pits - or, more accurately, the withdrawal of their subsidies - that was the huge problem, so much as the complete indifference to the fate of those thrown on the dole. And, as we know, this was at a time when North Sea oil money was starting to flow into government coffers, offering the possibility of solutions that had not been there previously.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Scottish Greens have decided to devote their allotted parliamentary time to discuss Thatcher's legacy. On Wednesday.
    The proposed title for the debate is 'There is still such a thing as society'.
    Scottish Tories are outraged.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @AveryLP

"The Scottish Tory party hasn't disappeared. It has merely moved with the times and started to cross-dress."

I just knew Peter the Punter had deep Scottish roots .... as well as dyed ones !!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited April 2013
    @Sun_Politics: RT @schofieldkevin: Genuine breaking news. Ed Miliband broke his wrist 10 days ago, went to hospital on Friday and had "minor" op today, his aides say.

@rowandavies: I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR YOUR ED MILIBAND WRIST JOKES. Just getting that out there early.
  • Options
    "The proposed title for the debate is 'There is still such a thing as society'.
    Scottish Tories are outraged."

Because they'll have to try to argue that there isn't?
  • Options
    I'd like to see a poll on ConservativeHome with the following three options -

'There is no such thing as society'

'There is such a thing as society, it's just not the same thing as the state'

'To each according to his need, from each according to his ability'
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @James

Lamont (the Tory, not La-Mont) said "the Greens should reconsider whether their narrow-minded agenda is more important than the funeral of "one of the UK's finest-ever leaders".
  • Options
    Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 12m
    A spokesman said he suffered the injury 10 days ago while hill walking in Devon with his wife, Justine.

TJR ‏@TonyjRandall 6m
    @ChrisMasonBBC I'm glad you got the spelling of walking correct.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    JackW said:

@AveryLP

"The Scottish Tory party hasn't disappeared. It has merely moved with the times and started to cross-dress."

I just knew Peter the Punter had deep Scottish roots .... as well as dyed ones !!

The SNP should reserve the constituency of Musselburgh for PtP's candidacy, Jack.

Though the treble party shift may require him to wear red stockings.

• Options
    @Avery

We have Kinnock's tribute: "An extraordinary woman of intelligence, courage, humour and endless generosity."
    It's Cllr Olga.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    In the Times today Adam Bolton has said that Baroness Thatcher died whilst trying to make out the pictures in a child's picture book
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TCPoliticalBetting And the first question comes from a Mr Andrew Marr of the BBC...

@andymcsmith
    Ed Miliband didn't know his wrist was broken when he paid tribute to Thatcher in the Commons on Weds. He was on pain killers.
  • Options
    In the Mail a journalist recounts asking Ted Heath to say something nice about Thatcher, his retort 'well she was a reasonable chemist I suppose' before bursting out laughing!
  • Options
    Apparently, when asked her class, Thatcher replied 'aren't I working class? I work jolly hard, I can tell you"
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2013

I'd like to see a poll on ConservativeHome with the following three options -

'There is no such thing as society'

'There is such a thing as society, it's just not the same thing as the state'

'To each according to his need, from each according to his ability'

Options one and two are the same.

http://timworstall.com/2013/04/09/margaret-thatcher-there-is-no-society-and-mick-philpott/

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/106689
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited April 2013
    Bad luck for Ed M - breaking a wrist is not a laughing matter - I've heard all the jokes about wrist breaks and a ruined sex life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22144674
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    Off topic:

Mrs J was taking part in the local 10K run this morning with a bunch of work colleagues. It felt like the first warmish day of the year, so I bought myself an ice cream from a Mr Whippy-style van.

I asked for a 'Double Margaret'. He smiled and gave me a double cone.

I would have said it was delicious, but it was a Mr Whippy...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Thatcher's Gold - calm down its only a cider ad.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    "Lamont (the Tory, not La-Mont) said "the Greens should reconsider whether their narrow-minded agenda is more important than the funeral of "one of the UK's finest-ever leaders"."

That reminds me of an American libertarian chap I had an endless argument with on Wikipedia in 2007. He insisted it was inappropriate to even mention Shirley Williams in the same sentence as Margaret Thatcher because, as he sniffily put it, "she doesn't exactly have the same, er, stature".

I hope we never lose sight of the fact that, while Mrs Thatcher may have been the most powerful and successful politician of her generation, there were others who equalled or exceeded her stature in other ways. Williams was more popular than she was, for example.
  • Options
    In Louise Mensch's Sun column today she said amongst those paying tribute to Thatcher was Richard Nixon. A bit difficult for him, considering he died in 1994!
  • Options

@Avery

We have Kinnock's tribute: "An extraordinary woman of intelligence, courage, humour and endless generosity."
    It's Cllr Olga.

Kinnock is losing his wrist, Andrea.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    @anotherDave

Interesting - Thatcher rejects 'abstinence' as a possible route in fighting AIDS:

"I think what some people have said to us and which is a criticism which certainly is so, is: “What you have been saying is: ‘Do not do that! It is dangerous!’ What you have been saying is: ‘If you do that in a certain way, you will be safe!’ Therefore, they have said: “Look! Do you not think, therefore, that it would have been better to say: ‘Do not do that at all!’?” to which one has to say: “Well, there will be some people who will get together in any event and it is our duty to tell them of the dangers if they do!”
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dr_spyn said:

Bad luck for Ed M - breaking a wrist is not a laughing matter ...

Has tim heard the terrible news?

I was thinking he may be able to give his leader some advice on how best to recover.

• Options
    "Interesting - Thatcher rejects 'abstinence' as a possible route in fighting AIDS"

Yes, I noted that as one of the five good things she did in my blogpost on the day she died. As a social conservative she would have been expected to go down the abstinence path, but by rejecting it she may well have saved many lives.
  • Options
    Guido - Hearing Ding Dong is not #1 it is #2 and #ImInLoveWithMaggie is confirmed at #35
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    It was never going to make number 1,

Just didn't have enough time to get to No.1
  • Options
    Celtic fans had an unsurprising reaction to Thatcher's death
    https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/323461169731997697/photo/1
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    IOS said:

It was never going to make number 1,

Just didn't have enough time to get to No.1

You will be making the same excuses in May 2015, IOS.

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Nah Avery.

I will be laughing at the fact UKIP will have polled 6/7% nationwide.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    Off-topic for the F1 fans:

In a few minutes, there is a documentary about Susie Wolff on BBC2. She is a Scottish motor racing driver who aims to be the first female driver in F1 for decades.

She's married to Toto Wolff, who was heavily involved with Williams F1 before he moved to Mercedes this winter. However she was a very competent, if not stellar, driver in the German Touring Cars.

She is Williams current test driver; if anything happens to one of Williams' two drivers, she is likely to get the drive.

An interesting woman, and also rather attractive if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2281658/Susie-Wolff-Williams-test-driver-female-Formula-One.html
  • Options
    Millsy - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Somerset, East Sussex and Suffolk also predicted to move to NOC If it is a truly terrible night for the Tories, the likes of Devon, Hampshire, Kent, Cambridgeshire and Essex could also go NOC!
  • Options
    It was a big mistake to give Ed Miliband a piece of chewing gum.
  • Options
    Radio 1 played 'I'm in love with Margareth Thatcher' in full it entered at 35
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    AN APOLOGY [?]:

Despite the lack of Junior/:young-turks: one has to accept that - despite my urge to do otherwise - one has to obey certain norms. So....

Bolleaux: No bite, no reason. Michael needs to reflect on himself before judging others,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Xc3QR_5UA
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    New Thread
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    [edited]
  • Options
    Was away last week, but thought you might be amused to see the Pope's message of condolence to us all:

MESSAGGIO DI CORDOGLIO DEL SANTO PADRE FRANCESCO PER LA MORTE DELLA BARONESSA MARGARET THATCHER0 32 Print

Pubblichiamo di seguito il Messaggio di cordoglio per la morte della Baronessa Margaret Thatcher, avvenuta questa mattina, inviato, a nome del Santo Padre Francesco, al Primo Ministro del Regno Unito David Cameron dal Segretario di Stato Tarcisio Bertone:

•MESSAGGIO
    THE RIGHT HONOURABLE DAVID CAMERON, MP

THE PRIME MINISTER

HIS HOLINESS POPE FRANCIS WAS SADDENED TO LEARN OF THE DEATH OF BARONESS MARGARET THATCHER. HE RECALLS WITH APPRECIATION THE CHRISTIAN VALUES WHICH UNDERPINNED HER COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC SERVICE AND TO THE PROMOTION OF FREEDOM AMONG THE FAMILY OF NATIONS. ENTRUSTING HER SOUL TO THE MERCY OF GOD, AND ASSURING HER FAMILY AND THE BRITISH PEOPLE OF A REMEMBRANCE IN HIS PRAYERS, THE HOLY FATHER INVOKES UPON ALL WHOSE LIVES SHE TOUCHED GOD’S ABUNDANT BLESSINGS.

CARDINAL TARCISIO BERTONE

SECRETARY OF STATE
This discussion has been closed.