Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Events are boxing May in while Corbyn sits pretty

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Events are boxing May in while Corbyn sits pretty

Only a fool would try to predict how this parliament will play out after all the extraordinary political upheavals and upsets this decade so far. So here goes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    First!
  • Options
    Agree with Mr Herdson - I suspect the next GE is in 2022. OT, that YouGov 'Best PM' poll yesterday still haven't published their 'Voting Intention' results, have they?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Third!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Agree with Mr Herdson - I suspect the next GE is in 2022. OT, that YouGov 'Best PM' poll yesterday still haven't published their 'Voting Intention' results, have they?

I don't think that YouGov are going to publish VI numbers from either of their 2 post GE17 polls
  • Options
    DougieDougie Posts: 57
    TOPPING said:

There had long been a Cash-Rees-Mogg-Redwoodite faction to the Cons. No BBG speech, no commitment to the referendum, no overall majority.

Now, was that an error?

As an, ahem, spirited Remainer, I can't say that it was. It was politics. Analagous to the LDs getting into bed with the Cons. They were in power and politics is all about being in power.

Of course the subsequent Remain campaign was cackhanded, but, as with the recent GE, the "situation: no change" message is not a very persuasive one when the people are restless.

FPT:

I'm being quite pedantic here, but I think Rees Mogg represents quite a different strand of the Tory right to Cash-Redwood.

Rees Mogg is an old fashioned High Tory whose beliefs bear a distinct resemblance to those of the pre-1832, or even 18th century Tory Party (at least in terms of attitude if not policy). That he is a Roman Catholic only strengthens the point - if you were to call him a crypto-Jacobite he probably wouldn't deny it.

Cash and Redwood are the ideological descendants of mid-19th century free trade, laissez faire Whigs/Liberals. I think Cash wrote a biography of Richard Cobden recently.

Or to put it simply: Rees-Mogg is a Cavalier, the other two are Roundheads.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited June 2017
    But for Corbyn to be next PM implies May fights the next GE as Con leader - unless Con loses the Queens Speech vote next week and Corbyn immediately takes over without another GE (which is currently 21-1 on Betfair).

Now, it's very possible - indeed quite likely - that Con will allow May to continue as PM for quite some time so as to avoid changing leader during the Brexit negotiations.

But surely there is almost no chance that Con would allow May to then go on to fight the next GE as leader.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

But for Corbyn to be next PM implies May fights the next GE as Con leader - unless Con loses the Queens Speech vote next week and Corbyn immediately takes over as a Minority Government without another GE.

Now, it's very possible - indeed quite likely - that Con will allow May to continue as PM for quite some time so as to avoid changing leader during the Brexit negotiations.

But surely there is almost no chance that Con would allow May to then go on to fight the next GE as leader.

The next GE could come about quite suddenly though given the Parliamentary arithmetic, particularly if the DUP decide not to play ball.

The one hope for the Tories would be that the government falls and is seen to fall because the opposition parties are trying to frustrate Brexit. Unless public opinion changes significantly between now and then (not impossible), that could be a powerful card for the Conservative Party to play.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

There had long been a Cash-Rees-Mogg-Redwoodite faction to the Cons. No BBG speech, no commitment to the referendum, no overall majority.

Now, was that an error?

As an, ahem, spirited Remainer, I can't say that it was. It was politics. Analagous to the LDs getting into bed with the Cons. They were in power and politics is all about being in power.

Of course the subsequent Remain campaign was cackhanded, but, as with the recent GE, the "situation: no change" message is not a very persuasive one when the people are restless.

FPT:

I'm being quite pedantic here, but I think Rees Mogg represents quite a different strand of the Tory right to Cash-Redwood.

Rees Mogg is an old fashioned High Tory whose beliefs bear a distinct resemblance to those of the pre-1832, or even 18th century Tory Party (at least in terms of attitude if not policy). That he is a Roman Catholic only strengthens the point - if you were to call him a crypto-Jacobite he probably wouldn't deny it.

Cash and Redwood are the ideological descendants of mid-19th century free trade, laissez faire Whigs/Liberals. I think Cash wrote a biography of Richard Cobden recently.

I think they'd take umbrage at being called Roundheads. The Tory/Whig divide is closer.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dougie said:

MikeL said:

But for Corbyn to be next PM implies May fights the next GE as Con leader - unless Con loses the Queens Speech vote next week and Corbyn immediately takes over as a Minority Government without another GE.

The next GE could come about quite suddenly though given the Parliamentary arithmetic, particularly if the DUP decide not to play ball.
    I think in that situation Con would choose a new leader on the spot - they wouldn't let May fight another GE campaign under any circumstances.

If there wasn't time to go to a membership ballot then so be it, the MPs would keep it to themselves.

If they couldn't agree on a single candidate they would suspend the rules as an exceptional situation so that the MPs voted on the final 2.

However I guess under the above scenario it might well be possible that May would continue as PM during the campaign - enabling Corbyn to be next PM if he won.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MikeL said:

But for Corbyn to be next PM implies May fights the next GE as Con leader - unless Con loses the Queens Speech vote next week and Corbyn immediately takes over without another GE (which is currently 21-1 on Betfair).

'Value' simply means that Corbyn has a better than 20% chance of being the next PM, not a better-than-50% chance.

There are three scenarios you need to think about:

1. The May government falls and Corbyn forms one without a new election.
    2. Another early election is called, whether (a) deliberately by May, (b) engineered by Labour or (c) accidentally as a result of events running out of control, with Corbyn and May still in place, where Labour picks up at least 10 seats.
    3. The parliament runs its full five years without a change of either leader, and Corbyn wins.

The first two options are the most likely.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pong said:
    There is no such thing as the "patriotic left".
  • Options
    edited June 2017

MikeL said:

'Value' simply means that Corbyn has a better than 20% chance of being the next PM, not a better-than-50% chance.

There are three scenarios you need to think about:

1. The May government falls and Corbyn forms one without a new election.
    2. Another early election is called, whether (a) deliberately by May, (b) engineered by Labour or (c) accidentally as a result of events running out of control, with Corbyn and May still in place, where Labour picks up at least 10 seats.
    3. The parliament runs its full five years without a change of either leader, and Corbyn wins.

The first two options are the most likely.
    Yes I appreciate all that.

In terms of Option 1) if it's going to happen without the QS passing next week then Corbyn is available at 21-1 on the other market.

If the QS passes then my own view is that if the Govt later falls (at any time, under any scenario) Con will dump May as leader on the spot (literally that day) and choose a new leader - they won't let May fight another GE as leader under any circumstances.

However, as posted below, I appreciate it's very possible that in that scenario May would continue as PM for the campaign enabling Corbyn to be next PM if he wins.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    I'm 43. I fully expect to see at least 3 more Prime Ministers take office before (and maybe long before) I turn 50 in May 2024. The second of these will be Corbyn. It's anyone's guess who the first and third will be other than that they will be Conservative and Labour respectively.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    On topic, I agree. 4/1 is value.

The value can also be captured by laying the combo of Boris, DD & Ruthy at equivalent odds of little over evens on BF;

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125575094
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:
    Hm, no youth surge after all? It was the oldies staying at home what did it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:
    no that is comparing with the Euref. Young t/o compared with last turnout was 43% so if this is right that is a huge youth surge.

Although oldies t/o falling slightly probably cost the tories a majority. But the seats labour gained are consistent with a big increase in youth turnout *and* professionals turning to labour. I would say labour gained about 6 seats on youth turnout in the south outside London alone......
  • Options

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

I think they'd take umbrage at being called Roundheads. The Tory/Whig divide is closer.
    Yes, I take your point. The road from the Cavalier/Roundhead divide to the Tory/Whig divide was fairly tortuous, given that moderate Royalists in the Civil War often ended up supporting the Glorious Revolution, and then the Court/Country distinction.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

I think in that situation Con would choose a new leader on the spot - they wouldn't let May fight another GE campaign under any circumstances.

If there wasn't time to go to a membership ballot then so be it, the MPs would keep it to themselves.

If they couldn't agree on a single candidate they would suspend the rules as an exceptional situation so that the MPs voted on the final 2.

However I guess under the above scenario it might well be possible that May would continue as PM during the campaign - enabling Corbyn to be next PM if he won.
    To some extent I agree, but I think that depends upon the Cabinet being able to agree unanimously on a successor ala Howard in 2003. There is a very high chance they would not, given the lack of an obvious immediate successor, hence May would remain in charge.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:
    no that is comparing with the Euref. Young t/o compared with last turnout was 43% so if this is right that is a huge youth surge.

Although oldies t/o falling slightly probably cost the tories a majority. But the seats labour gained are consistent with a big increase in youth turnout *and* professionals turning to labour. I would say labour gained about 6 seats on youth turnout in the south outside London alone......
    Turnout was up less then 3% as a whole but in constituencies where the population is diverse and are a lot of graduates are a disprpotioate percentage of the electorate turnout was up significantly, however these grops also tend to be younger then the population as a whole:

https://medium.com/@psurridge/britains-divide-diversity-key-to-turnout-rises-a51626d5c969

Increase in turnout:

Canterbury Up 8.7% (4 unis)

Portsmouth South up 5.4% (Portsmouth Uni)

Brighton Kempton up ~6% ( surrey,brighton, suxxex Unis nearby)

Kensington up 6.8% (it's london it has a shit load of graduates and diversity).

Battersea up 4% (again London).

• Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Turnout was up less then 3% as a whole but in constituencies where the population is diverse and are a lot of graduates are a disprpotioate percentage of the electorate turnout was up significantly, however these grops also tend to be younger then the population as a whole:

https://medium.com/@psurridge/britains-divide-diversity-key-to-turnout-rises-a51626d5c969

Increase in turnout:

Canterbury Up 8.7% (4 unis)

Portsmouth South up 5.4% (Portsmouth Uni)

Brighton Kempton up ~6% ( surrey,brighton, suxxex Unis nearby)

Kensington up 6.8% (it's london it has a shit load of graduates and diversity).

Battersea up 4% (again London).

Some more increases:

Cambridge up almost 10%

Bristol West up 5%

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2017
    Usually a big fan of David Herdson's articles, but there is only one reply to this shambolic attempt to put lipstick on the pig that is currently Labour party in Opposition led by Jeremy Corbyn. Like the media, its is time to get a grip!

May has been in Brussels fighting UKplcs corner while Juncker&Co are still trying to stick the boot in over our intention to Brexit. Camden Council is this evening evacuatiing residents from Highrise blocks with next to no warnng, and they now have angry and frustrated residents bedding down on mattresses in community halls. Meanwhile Corbyn is in his comfort zone at Glastonbury hearing the adoring chants of support from the newly devoted in his usual comfort zone of a protest stage setting!

In the last week there have splits in the Labour party over Brexit, the Shadow Cabinet remains frighteningly short of any serious big hitters capable of inspiring any confidence should they have move into Government and take on a real Cabinet day job. And most importantly. Theresa May has in fact finally started to grow into the incredible tough full time job of Prime Minister while up against an almost insurmountable sea of negativity from the media, opposition and the EU. As I said earlier, Corbyn has been at Glastonbury and anywhere else there has been a photo op, but the political optics from anyone watching from outside the bubble of London has been far from as disasterous for May as is being peddled here.
  • Options
    I can't see Cornyn NOT being PM sometime in the next 5 years. The Tories won't be able to keep their shit together during the coming Brexit storm.
    And Radiohead are crap.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    fitalass said:

Usually a big fan of David Herdson's articles, but there is only one reply to this shambolic attempt to put lipstick on the pig that is currently Labour party in Opposition led by Jeremy Corbyn. Like the media, its is time to get a grip!

May has been in Brussels fighting UKplcs corner while Juncker&Co are still trying to stick the boot in over our intention to Brexit. Camden Council is this evening evacuatiing residents from Highrise blocks with next to no warnng, and they now have angry and frustrated residents bedding down on mattresses in community halls. Meanwhile Corbyn is in his comfort zone at Glastonbury hearing the adoring chants of support from the newly devoted in his usual comfort zone of a protest stage setting!

In the last week there have splits in the Labour party over Brexit, the Shadow Cabinet remains frighteningly short of any serious big hitters capable of inspiring any confidence should they have move into Government and take on a real Cabinet day job. And most importantly. Theresa May has in fact finally started to grow into the incredible tough full time job of Prime Minister while up against an almost insurmountable sea of negativity from the media, opposition and the EU. As I said earlier, Corbyn has been at Glastonbury and anywhere else there has been a photo op, but the political optics from anyone watching from outside the bubble of London has been far from as disasterous for May as is being peddled here.

The cracks within the Labour Party can be easily papered over, the many Grand Canyon sized ones within the Conservative Party on the other hand.... There are too many ambitious people with too little talent circling round a PM increasingly seen as being completely out of her depth...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Shirley from Camden on Sky News again. She's not happy.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Dougie said:

MikeL said:

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

To some extent I agree, but I think that depends upon the Cabinet being able to agree unanimously on a successor ala Howard in 2003. There is a very high chance they would not, given the lack of an obvious immediate successor, hence May would remain in charge.
    Hammond is the obvious successor: Chancellor, former Foreign Secretary and old enough to be tied to a one-election deal.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

Hammond is the obvious successor: Chancellor, former Foreign Secretary and old enough to be tied to a one-election deal.
    Hammond would be John Major Mk II. A grey fag-end prime minister leading a majority govt.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pong said:
    One of the awful truths of the last year is that for all her manifest inadequacies, Leadsom was the better option for leader.

• Options

Pong said:
    One of the awful truths of the last year is that for all her manifest inadequacies, Leadsom was the better option for leader.

lol
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293
    edited June 2017
    fitalass said:

Usually a big fan of your posts, Fitalass, but this morning it's David who can smell the coffee better.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

lol
    How bad can it be out there if Andrea Leadsom is the better option?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    the left has regained its voice. the only problem is the amount of bull being spouted from therein as demonstrated since the GE.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Finally caught up with Theresa and Boris last night. The depiction of Gavin Williamson as a Malcolm Tuckeresque figure, feared and courted by all factions of the Tory party, was the most surprising aspect of the story. I say that largely because he is my MP, I've seen him close up on a few occasions at local fêtes etc, and he comes across as Tim-nice-but-smart, a confident and competent constituency man, there for the long term in a safe seat but not destined for the greatest things.

But anyone who can pull off the trick of transitioning from Cameron's man to May's choice to fly to Belfast to start negotiations with the DUP deserves to be reappraised. Next Tory PM anyone?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

Pong said:

lol
    Lame Duck Theresa stumbling zombie like through the wasteland of Brexit?
  • Options

I'm 43. I fully expect to see at least 3 more Prime Ministers take office before (and maybe long before) I turn 50 in May 2024. The second of these will be Corbyn. It's anyone's guess who the first and third will be other than that they will be Conservative and Labour respectively.

That's quite likely, Torby. It's a pity you cannot get anybody to lay you odds.

You could of course write to Shadsy at Ladbrokes. He's generally up for that sort of thing.
  • Options

Finally caught up with Theresa and Boris last night. The depiction of Gavin Williamson as a Malcolm Tuckeresque figure, feared and courted by all factions of the Tory party, was the most surprising aspect of the story. I say that largely because he is my MP, I've seen him close up on a few occasions at local fêtes etc, and he comes across as Tim-nice-but-smart, a confident and competent constituency man, there for the long term in a safe seat but not destined for the greatest things.

But anyone who can pull off the trick of transitioning from Cameron's man to May's choice to fly to Belfast to start negotiations with the DUP deserves to be reappraised. Next Tory PM anyone?

Future PM maybe but not the next one -- and if I were him I'd ditch the spider gimmick. Lots of people don't like spiders.
  • Options
    Dougie said:

MikeL said:

The one hope for the Tories would be that the government falls and is seen to fall because the opposition parties are trying to frustrate Brexit. Unless public opinion changes significantly between now and then (not impossible), that could be a powerful card for the Conservative Party to play.
    Don't overestimate the popularity of Brexit, Duggie.

It's true that most want the Government to go ahead with it but that includes a chunk of people like me who are arch-Remainers but don't see any merit in trying to reverse back out of it now.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Future PM maybe but not the next one -- and if I were him I'd ditch the spider gimmick. Lots of people don't like spiders.
    Probably right on both counts. But on the first, it depends on how long the Tories are out of office.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pong said:

lol
    Lame Duck Theresa stumbling zombie like through the wasteland of Brexit?
    Waste Land, Foxy? This has potential.

'I will show you fear in a handful of votes.'

[Apologies, TS.]
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Cash and Redwood aren't Whigs, they are Radicals. The Whigs are people like Paddy Mayhew and Micky Ancram.
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48

I am trying to think of what positives are in Theresa Mays/Tories favour at the moment and am struggling.

Can anyone help ?

Apart from the Tories are in Goverment and did win a million more votes than Labour in the election.

Negatives - economy now struggling at the same time as people now want end to austerity and real term increase in spending. Brexit negotiations will prove much more complex than the Tories might have wanted and Government does not have same ability as the EU to negotiate. Tories now have a trend in the country, paticularly those under 50, moving against them. If Labour does continue to attract support, then the Tories will want to avoid an early election. Theresa May has had a rocky few months, where her leadership is being questionned.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Richard_H said:

I am trying to think of what positives are in Theresa Mays/Tories favour at the moment and am struggling.

Can anyone help ?

Apart from the Tories are in Goverment and did win a million more votes than Labour in the election.

Negatives - economy now struggling at the same time as people now want end to austerity and real term increase in spending. Brexit negotiations will prove much more complex than the Tories might have wanted and Government does not have same ability as the EU to negotiate. Tories now have a trend in the country, paticularly those under 50, moving against them. If Labour does continue to attract support, then the Tories will want to avoid an early election. Theresa May has had a rocky few months, where her leadership is being questionned.

Falling oil prices and good public borrowing numbers will help them somewhat. The former reduces the cost of living, the latter gives them some latitude with public spending. In the short to medium term, the economy should be okay, though I take Robert Smithson's points about the low savings ratio.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

The situation may change once the EU deal is done (or not) as it removes such from the potential concerns of MPs and members. May might also take the opportunity to resign.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Good morning, everyone.

The situation may change once the EU deal is done (or not) as it removes such from the potential concerns of MPs and members. May might also take the opportunity to resign.

For that reason - 6.8 on the next election being in 2019 looks value to me.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

It's true that most want the Government to go ahead with it but that includes a chunk of people like me who are arch-Remainers but don't see any merit in trying to reverse back out of it now.
    That's right. In fact I wanted Article 50 invoked the day after the vote so the campaign to rejoin could start sooner.
  • Options

Pong said:
    Forgive me for being a sceptic, but I doubt you have the best interests of the Conservative party at heart......
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Richard_H said:

Can anyone help ?

The fact she's a woman?

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/jeremy-corbyn-can-rise-depths-cant-theresa-may/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Cash and Redwood aren't Whigs, they are Radicals. The Whigs are people like Paddy Mayhew and Micky Ancram.
    Quite. And JRM is more Peel than Wellington. In fact every time I listen to him I think more of him.

A good man. He is the right wing equivalent of Corbyn. Only bright, godly and patriotic too.
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, possibly. There are a few potential downsides. It assumes that the deal is done on time with neither collapse nor extension. It also assumes that a new leader is elected and calls an election pretty damned quickly. If he or she wants a few months to learn the ropes and see how the polls are, or even to actually prepare beyond coming up with a single slogan, that could easily push it to 2020.

That said, 6.8 may be value. Perhaps best assessed when I'm not sleepy :p

Utterly off-topic: but it's eminently possible Sir Edric's second book, a single story longer than the two contained in the first, will be out this year.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I can't agree with the thread header.

Corbyn's latest wacko plan is to pay teenagers £10 per hour. Its an obvious remarek that the tories spectacularly messed up the snap election campaign but they won't make the same mistake twice. The next election will again be on the economy and Corbyn's lala land promises will be examined in greater detail.

He's an egotistic campaigner who can promise the world but in a drawn out campaign he'll be exposed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922

Pong said:

Only if you wanted the Tories out of government altogether. That she is in the cabinet tells you everything about the paucity of talent inside the Conservative party.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mortimer said:

JRM is more Peel than Wellington. In fact every time I listen to him I think more of him.

A good man. He is the right wing equivalent of Corbyn. Only bright, godly and patriotic too.

Cometh the hour...

https://readyformogg.org

Maybe if he was PM, we could pass a law against Radiohead.
  • Options

Corbyn's latest wacko plan is to pay teenagers £10 per hour. Its an obvious remarek that the tories spectacularly messed up the snap election campaign but they won't make the same mistake twice. The next election will again be on the economy and Corbyn's lala land promises will be examined in greater detail.

He's an egotistic campaigner who can promise the world but in a drawn out campaign he'll be exposed.

Maybe but ask yourself why the Conservatives did not campaign on the economy this time. Ask why there were no costings in the manifesto; why the Chancellor was hidden away. Even if you are right that Labour is weak here, clearly CCHQ knows the Conservatives are vulnerable too.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Quite. And JRM is more Peel than Wellington. In fact every time I listen to him I think more of him.

Well-spoken does not equate to bright. Rees-Mogg speaks nonsense eloquently.

• Options

That depends on how the economy is performing.

• Options
    Mr. L, didn't CCHQ want to go on the economy, and May and her diabolical underlings prevented it?

Mr. Observer, indeed. And Labour is even worse. May is lacklustre but she isn't far left.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    For the reasons already discussed I don't see this bet because I cannot believe that the Tories will be crazy enough to go into another election led by Theresa. I don't see this government giving up power without having another go even if May's personal position becomes untenable. I don't see the DUP forcing an election because they can only lose seats from where they are now and they probably will. It is to me overwhelmingly likely that the next PM will be a Tory albeit one that may make Brown look long serving.

The result of the election was not much short of a disaster for the country. A weak minority government with a discredited leader has been left with the task of negotiating Brexit. Personally, I think the wisdom of crowds theory took a bit of a knock. But the government will just have to do the best it can.
  • Options

Dougie said:

MikeL said:

That's right. In fact I wanted Article 50 invoked the day after the vote so the campaign to rejoin could start sooner.
    There was no reason why it should not have been invoked immediately.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Urm, just no. He is one of the top minds in the commons. Unlike most of the others he can also communicate.

I also think you're in no position to question the intelligence of others when Corbyn is the leader of Labour. 2 Es FFS
  • Options
    Yesterday:

David Cameron wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay. All his Cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his Home Secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-we-should-unilaterally-allow-eu-citizens-to-stay-a3571591.html

Today:

A Cameron government source confirmed the account but made clear the matter was not decided in a full Cabinet meeting but through discussion.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-cant-recollect-blocking-rights-for-eu-citizens-days-after-brexit-vote-a3571966.html

Yesterday's Guardian:

One former senior minister told the Guardian they didn’t recollect any discussion of the issue around the cabinet table at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/23/brexit-may-blocked-unilateral-offer-for-eu-citizens-rights-last-june

How unlike George to paint a misleading picture of Mrs May.....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

I met Michael Ancram during the 2005 General Election. He certainly was a charming old Whig, but he never struck me as a Micky!
  • Options

Maybe but ask yourself why the Conservatives did not campaign on the economy this time. Ask why there were no costings in the manifesto; why the Chancellor was hidden away. Even if you are right that Labour is weak here, clearly CCHQ knows the Conservatives are vulnerable too.
    The PM and Chancellor were at odds. And the Manifesto was only offering cuts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

For the reasons already discussed I don't see this bet because I cannot believe that the Tories will be crazy enough to go into another election led by Theresa. I don't see this government giving up power without having another go even if May's personal position becomes untenable. I don't see the DUP forcing an election because they can only lose seats from where they are now and they probably will. It is to me overwhelmingly likely that the next PM will be a Tory albeit one that may make Brown look long serving.

The result of the election was not much short of a disaster for the country. A weak minority government with a discredited leader has been left with the task of negotiating Brexit. Personally, I think the wisdom of crowds theory took a bit of a knock. But the government will just have to do the best it can.

You don't believe in The Wisdom of Crowds, David? How shocking!

You'll be telling us next that Parliament should have ignored the referendum result.
  • Options

Its hardly a secret that they messed up far bigger than anybody could have imagined.

British people don't like being taken for fools, that was the message sent to May and that will be the message sent to Corbyn when he strolls around the country handing out goodies.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Urm, just no. He is one of the top minds in the commons. Unlike most of the others he can also communicate.

I also think you're in no position to question the intelligence of others when Corbyn is the leader of Labour. 2 Es FFS

Having read that I can see why you might think Rees Mogg is smart. :-D

• Options
    VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    Left-leaning drivel. This article reads as though the writer has nothing better to think about.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Some Tories here appear to be in denial. They're still on track for their landslide, albeit at the next election or maybe the one that follows.
  • Options

I'm afraid that as much as you HOPE it dives there is a reality to be faced. We are drowning in debt and that situation must be addressed.

It will hardly take a genius to destroy Corbyn's argument that paying kids £10 per hour is a sensible idea.
  • Options

I don't think that YouGov are going to publish VI numbers from either of their 2 post GE17 polls
    Spoilsports! One wonders whether the collapse in May's ratings has been matched by a collapse in Con VI.........
  • Options
    Question. If there was an election in the first week of November, what would that do to turnout?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

nunu said:
    Labour maximised its vote in 2017. The Tories minimised it, by going to war with its core supporters.

It is quite possible that next time around, the Tories get those 5% back on board - and Labour is stuffed, even by standing still. It could even be under a campaign conducted by May if the Govt. fell suddenly that meant Brexit was at risk. Labour would have looked to have put party politics ahead of national interest in breaking their pledge of ensuring Brexit would proceed. The Tories offer a no nonsense Manifesto, no frills, no increased taxes/no Dementia Tax/no Garden Tax (at least until Brexit is delivered), nothing to scare the Crumblies. May says "Mea culpa - I was badly advised" and the campaign is largely taken out of her hands by a committee of men in grey suits. And the campaign this time around focuses on demolishing Labour's economic offering. Who knows, Hammond might even make an appearance. Tories back with a majority.

The more so if in the coming weeks and months, May tries to seek a consensual cross-party approach to Brexit. With Juncker saying "it's a start, but you must give more, much more..." each time an issue is raised, the mood music for a "Fuck you, EU" Brexit where we simply walk will be out there. Is Corbyn really going to stick up for Brussels? "Well, they have a point you know"....nah!

I realise it might be thought I have spent far too much time in the Devon sun this week. But given that the perceived notion is that the skids are under the Tories and Corbyn just has to wait it out to become PM, the recent political experience shows us that perceived notions - Brexit, Trump, landslide - are invariably wrong of late.

I won't be touching PM Corbyn with a barge-pole. Neither I suspect will the voters, given an election where it seems a viable possibility. The last election was a free kick at the plump arse of the political classes. The next one will not be.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

If Rees-Mogg is the answer, the question must have been a poor one. I can't think of anyone who ill-fits the current anti-patrician narrative as perfectly as does Mr Rees Mogg.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Thanks Herders.

The essentials on the timing of the general election are three fold - The grim reaper, the DUP and X.

The grim reaper is outwith even the Chief Whip's control. Both the Callaghan and Major governments limped from majority to minority as mortality reaped a harvest of MP's. The Prime Minister doesn't even have the luxury of starting with a majority. On the credit side MP's are younger than decades ago so fewer by-elections will naturally occur.

Following death we have the fatal clutches of the DUP around the throat of the government. The DUP have the noose around the neck of the Tories and will pull the lever to the trap door of a general election when it suits them. As soon as the DUP have squeezed the life out of the May administration for ever piece of silver they can extract and the small of decay begins to hang in the air that may taint the DUP, then the end will be swift.

X is the known unknown. Politicians, pundits, business leaders and the concerned nation will be agog to hear the long term important overseas plans of a certain resident of Bedford. On OGH's holiday adventures rests the fate of the nation as the timing of the next general election awaits Mike Smithson's fateful decisions.

We may speculate on death and the DUP but the Smithson's ODE - Oracle of Dates of Elections - is not to be repudiated.

• Options

DavidL said:

You don't believe in The Wisdom of Crowds, David? How shocking!

You'll be telling us next that Parliament should have ignored the referendum result.
    No, I don't think I will be saying that.

The government has to deliver a Brexit, frankly any Brexit now.

Those supporting the wisdom of crowds might make the case that the government will be pushed into a very soft Brexit by the government's weakness but personally I think a stronger government would have got there anyway for the reasons Hammond has articulated since the election and a weaker government is at greater risk of making an error that leads us where we don't want to go.
  • Options

Spoilsports! One wonders whether the collapse in May's ratings has been matched by a collapse in Con VI.........
    Survation suggests not.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited June 2017
    fitalass said:

The mean-spirited less than generous offer from a bloody difficult woman went down like a lead balloon 2 days ago. She seems a decent person and might be a capable administrator, but she has the charisma of a wet blanket, lacks overt empathy and seems incapable of negotiating or co-operating with others.

I thought she could stay for a couple of years until Brexit is negotiated, but unless there is a change of PM, there will be no deal. The sick man of Europe has little chance against the EU27, but with May at the helm, there is no chance of a decent Brexit settlement.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Some Tories here appear to be in denial. They're still on track for their landslide, albeit at the next election or maybe the one that follows.

I wouldn't say that. I'd just say that it's very hard to make predictions.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,369
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

Question. If there was an election in the first week of November, what would that do to turnout?

Well turnout fell 6% between the February and October 1974 elections.

I would not be amazed to see something similar if we had a November election.
  • Options

The Tories took the electorate for granted, thinking Corbyn would deliver them a landslide. They won't think that next time. But for now they have lost control of the narrative. Their weakness, their incompetence and their delusion are the stories. They have to find a way to change that. David's point is that they will struggle to do so. I am inclined to agree - unless the economic outlook picks up and voters feel they have a stake in the status quo.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited June 2017

One of the great images of the 2008 local elections was John Macdonnell with his head in his hands as James Purnell spouted that same line about Cameron's party. Purnell himself later effectively admitted the line was rubbish by resigning the following year.

It is not enough to show your opponents are incompetent and/or dishonest and/or totally unable to keep the ludicrous promises they're making. That was proven up to the hilt against Corbyn, along with his links to mass murderers and Holocaust deniers. People knew but they didn't care. The key lesson of this election is that you have to offer something positive along with some razzmatazz to win. That should have been the lesson of Brexit and Trump too, but I will confess I missed it.

That's why there seems a frighteningly high chance Boris could be the next PM, something I would cheerfully have laughed at a mere 17 days ago.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I do think the radicalism of Corbyn’s manifesto took many by surprise. For example, we heard nothing from the Universities.

Many Universities are already in serious financial trouble. There are e.g., redundancies announced at Univ of Manchester & Bangor just over the last few weeks.

The £9,000 a year fee is roughly what a course costs (Humanities courses are cheaper, Science & Engineering dearer) .

Before tuition fees were introduced by the Blair Gov’t, the state did not pay the true cost of a University course.

The Universities will be very worried if that situation returns. In fact, it will lead to much more substantial redundancies.

I personally think some rebalancing of the burden between state and individual on tuition fees is necessary, but the removal of tuition fees completely will result in impoverished universities.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

And who would that benefit?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Survation suggests not.
    Nor do recent local elections.....where's the 'news' in that?
  • Options
    Mr. Cwsc, universities are generally leftwing, and many Corbynistas are likewise. I imagine the conflict between money and not wanting to upset them, or even Jezbollah tendencies in the staff, led to the silence.
  • Options

I'm afraid that as much as you HOPE it dives there is a reality to be faced. We are drowning in debt and that situation must be addressed.

It will hardly take a genius to destroy Corbyn's argument that paying kids £10 per hour is a sensible idea.

Why would I hope the UK economy dives? I live here, I have kids here, I own a stake in a company that is based here.

I get why you want those who think this government stinks to be traitors who wish this country ill, but I'm afraid you do not own patriotism.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

Peel could compromise more. I'd say JRM is Liverpool or Castlereagh.

To quote Shelley (in one of his less good poems)

Stranger, as you pass this way,
    Stop! To see a sight like this!
    Stranger, here lies the grave of Castlereagh,
    Therefore, Stranger, stop and piss.
  • Options
    Paddy Power limited me at least to a stake of £18 on this bet, which is still available at stand out odds of 4/1.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    ydoethur said:

One of the great images of the 2008 local elections was John Macdonnell with his head in his hands as James Purnell spouted that same line about Cameron's party. Purnell himself later effectively admitted the line was rubbish by resigning the following year.

It is not enough to show your opponents are incompetent and/or dishonest and/or totally unable to keep the ludicrous promises they're making. That was proven up to the hilt against Corbyn, along with his links to mass murderers and Holocaust deniers. People knew but they didn't care. The key lesson of this election is that you have to offer something positive along with some razzmatazz to win. That should have been the lesson of Brexit and Trump too, but I will confess I missed it.

That's why there seems a frighteningly high chance Boris could be the next PM, something I would cheerfully have laughed at a mere 17 days ago.
    I'd argue that people didn't care because they didn't see a cat in hell's chance of him becoming PM. No-one did - until the exit poll.

2017 was the election where the safe assumption was somebody else would be voting to keep Corbyn out, so I don't have to. Very nearly an Oooooops.... there from the electorate.
  • Options

You're totally wrong on this.

May's team thought she was coasting to victory and wanted to claim all the credit.

Make it an election on the economy and she couldn't sack Hammond.

Boy was that a bad call
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

I wouldn't say that. I'd just say that it's very hard to make predictions.
    Tories first need to accept that Corbyn is popular. They then need to understand and accept that the reasons he is popular are legitimate.

They then need to accept that why they failed at the GE is not just down to the PM and her campaign.

If they grapple and accept these things, they might recover.
  • Options

Charles said:

Dougie said:

TOPPING said:

Now, was that an error?

FPT:

I met Michael Ancram during the 2005 General Election. He certainly was a charming old Whig, but he never struck me as a Micky!
    You know he plays rock guitar?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It’s noticeable that leavers no longer say that Brexit will deliver us to a sunny land of sovereignty and independence. Their talk is more defensive now; they know that fears of job losses and shrunken wages cannot be soothed by abstract nouns. These days the leavers’ stance is captured by the strained voice of Iain Duncan Smith insisting that things won’t be as bad as the gloom-mongers say.

More revealing still is the Brexiteers’ reliance on a kind of fatalistic compulsion. We have to go through with it, they say, we have no choice. Leave was “the people’s will”, so we’d better get our heads down and trudge through a process as hard as defeating the Nazis because it’s too late to back out.

But is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/23/brexit-stopped-answer-in-our-hands-leave
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

The Tories took the electorate for granted, thinking Corbyn would deliver them a landslide. They won't think that next time. But for now they have lost control of the narrative. Their weakness, their incompetence and their delusion are the stories. They have to find a way to change that. David's point is that they will struggle to do so. I am inclined to agree - unless the economic outlook picks up and voters feel they have a stake in the status quo
    On the other hand, the media might be more balanced. Whilst poor, the Conservative manifesto was not as bad as is being painted; as much as anything else, it was sold awfully.

The media thought a Conservative landslide was on, and that prediction was not a story. Instead, they examined the Conservative manifesto's entrails in detail, whilst ignoring Labour's. After all, where was the story in dissecting a widely-derided no-hoper ?

That will not happen next time. Since Corbyn's Labour could form the next government, expect the media to concentrate fire on it much more.

TLDR; the media had as much to do with the Conservative's poor performance as May's bodged manifesto or Corbyn's overperformance.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,369
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

And who would that benefit?
    Depends on who leads the Tories.

It is clear the oldies stayed at home in protest at Mrs May.

If she's gone then all things being equal it should help the Tories.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I'd argue that people didn't care because they didn't see a cat in hell's chance of him becoming PM. No-one did - until the exit poll.

2017 was the election where the safe assumption was somebody else would be voting to keep Corbyn out, so I don't have to. Very nearly an Oooooops.... there from the electorate.
    You are in denial. What you need to get your head around is for many Corbyn was seen as the safer option than a Tory Majority.
  • Options

Why would I hope the UK economy dives? I live here, I have kids here, I own a stake in a company that is based here.

I get why you want those who think this government stinks to be traitors who wish this country ill, but I'm afraid you do not own patriotism.

I've no idea why you mention patriotism but ho hum.

Its clear that if the economy dives (it won't) then you and the other Remainers can smugly say I told you so.

My point is that the tories will not make the same mistake twice, they alienated their core vote and allowed Corbyn to hand out freebies. Next time they'll move the agenda back on to the economy and Corbyn will be exposed.

Do you think £10 per hour for kids is a good idea?
  • Options

RobD said:

nunu said:
    Labour maximised its vote in 2017. The Tories minimised it, by going to war with its core supporters.

It is quite possible that next time around, the Tories get those 5% back on board - and Labour is stuffed, even by standing still. It could even be under a campaign conducted by May if the Govt. fell suddenly that meant Brexit was at risk. Labour would have looked to have put party politics ahead of national interest in breaking their pledge of ensuring Brexit would proceed. The Tories offer a no nonsense Manifesto, no frills, no increased taxes/no Dementia Tax/no Garden Tax (at least until Brexit is delivered), nothing to scare the Crumblies. May says "Mea culpa - I was badly advised" and the campaign is largely taken out of her hands by a committee of men in grey suits. And the campaign this time around focuses on demolishing Labour's economic offering. Who knows, Hammond might even make an appearance. Tories back with a majority.

The more so if in the coming weeks and months, May tries to seek a consensual cross-party approach to Brexit. With Juncker saying "it's a start, but you must give more, much more..." each time an issue is raised, the mood music for a "Fuck you, EU" Brexit where we simply walk will be out there. Is Corbyn really going to stick up for Brussels? "Well, they have a point you know"....nah!

I realise it might be thought I have spent far too much time in the Devon sun this week. But given that the perceived notion is that the skids are under the Tories and Corbyn just has to wait it out to become PM, the recent political experience shows us that perceived notions - Brexit, Trump, landslide - are invariably wrong of late.

I won't be touching PM Corbyn with a barge-pole. Neither I suspect will the voters, given an election where it seems a viable possibility. The last election was a free kick at the plump arse of the political classes. The next one will not be.

A pre-Brexit vote probably would be the Tories' best chance as it would put Labour under pressure to come up with a coherent, united line. It is very high risk, though, as it would also mean the Tories requiring a common line.

• Options
    Charles said:

You're totally wrong on this.

May's team thought she was coasting to victory and wanted to claim all the credit.

Make it an election on the economy and she couldn't sack Hammond.

Boy was that a bad call
    I totally agree with this. The Tories were so confident that Corbyn was unelectable they thought that they didn't need to play their strongest card. The fact that would have involved giving some credit, arguably a lot of credit to Osborne for his management of the economy probably made May even less keen. Her petty vindictiveness, firstly towards Osborne and then towards Hammond cost her very dear.
  • Options
    daodao said:

fitalass said:

The mean-spirited less than generous offer from a bloody difficult woman went down like a lead balloon 2 days ago. She seems a decent person and might be a capable administrator, but she has the charisma of a wet blanket, lacks overt empathy and seems incapable of negotiating or co-operating with others.

I thought she could stay for a couple of years until Brexit is negotiated, but unless there is a change of PM, there will be no deal. The sick man of Europe has little chance against the EU27, but with May at the helm, there is no chance of a decent Brexit settlement.
    What was mean spirited about it?
This discussion has been closed.