Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don’t laugh at us, Argentina

124»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Hunker down. Winter is coming.

On a positive note, SeanT is still bonking a youngster 30 years younger than himself, so it's not all bad.

What's happened to SeanT? We could do with his calming presence. I wonder if he's shifted his allegiance to Remain and/or Corbynism, but is still working out how to tell us gently.
    He's gone from ultra hard Brexit gives him the horn/bomb France and Germany and kick EU citizens into the channel to very soft Brexit.

He got depressed when I told him it soft Brexit wasn't an option.
    I think it is an option as long as we use an off the shelf arrangement like EFTA. We can worry about what comes next after that when we have much more time. Tbh, we could stay in EFTA for up to 10 years without too much trouble. Most people won't​ notice and difference and the EU will be happy to get £3-4bn per year in membership fees.
    But even that approach does not short-circuit the two-year Article 50 process. Even to get from here to there requires the UK to go through the wringer in a humiliating way, no matter how smoothly the process is handled.
    The article 50 process is only two years if that is how long is needed. Now whilst I agree it is probably going to run the course, if they did get everything sorted by going for the EFTA type deal then they don't have to sit around drinking coffee for the rest of the time. Two years is the maximum time (without extensions) not a set time.
    The most sensible option is, and has always been, to go to EFTA/EEA and then see how we like it. We could even legislate now for a referendum after five years in it.

This would give hope to Europhiles who think we might change our mind. To hard core Brexiteers who think the public would never accept the Norway solution. And to the sensible middle.

And if we did decide to go it alone after five years, we would be doing it from a position of relative strength after we had already rebuilt our non EU trade deals.
    Yep. You and I have long been on the same page about this. As it seems are many other PB Leavers.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I see Philip Hammond is saying Britain should stay in the Customs Union.

From what I understand of how it would work, this seems to me the most consensual way forward. Get control of our immigration system, but at the same time pretty much maintain the trade status-quo and minimise economic turmoil -- don't think many would be that unhappy with that.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I don't really know why the Osborne crowd are effectively ruling themselves out of coming back. This is not a time when disloyalty will be rewarded.

Oh and I caught a mention of and has a lot of ground to make up now.

I now think the Alliance bubble is burst Prods.
    It really was
    Sean_F said:

I don't really know why the Osborne crowd are effectively ruling themselves out of coming back. This is not a time when disloyalty will be rewarded.

Oh and I caught a mention of how the boundaries affect Belfast on the previous thread. I think Sean mentioned Alliance tunderstandable to an extent but she's clearly forgotten the vast majority of her voters are from a PUL background and has a lot of ground to make up now.

I now think the Alliance bubble is burst in East Belfast. By all means run as soft Unionist. Prods.
    It was a terrible campaign by Naomi. I've regularly sparred quite chummily with her on Twitter and before the campaign started I'd have said I would have been 95% certain I'd have voted for her were I in East Belfast. By the end of the campaign, I'd have voted for Gavin. And I'm by no means a fan of the DUP. I would previously have said I'd only vote DUP in a direct contest with SF. But I've gone right off Alliance in the past month. They just have this attitude that they are BETTER than everyone else.
    Y0kel said:

Oh and I caught a mention of how the boundaries affect Belfast on the previous thread. I think has a lot of ground to make up now.

Long got into Westminster in 2010 off the back of a paramilitary inspired mobilisation of loyalist housing estate votes in East Belfast as a kick against Peter Robinson losing sight of

A slice of that vote did stay with her alongside the guilty Prod vote in the Assembly but last week she didn't just get beat, she got absolutely thumped by the DUP because that working class loyalist vote turned out this time in opposition to her.

Lets be honest, Gavin Robinson, who's 2015 acceptance speech might as well have invoked the imagery of the 5 year reign of Alliance terror that he had just toppled, isn't exactly a killer candidate.

I think she's dreadful. It would be like voting for Caroline Lucas. I'm glad she went down in flames.
    Lost sight of the voter base because her holier than thou ego obscured them.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Labour won seats by ignoring Brexit. As many on here point out, Labour LOST an election 5 days ago, so their position is irrelevant. Does the newly-elected govt. have a superior plan? That is a matter of the greatest import for us all.

Labour won seats by neutralising Brexit so they could win back all those UKIP voters they lost leading up to the referendum.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

From what I understand of how it would work, this seems to me the most consensual way forward. Get control of our immigration system, but at the same time pretty much maintain the trade status-quo and minimise economic turmoil -- don't think many would be that unhappy with that.

No trade deals with the rest of the world. Its a stupid idea. Nor does it help us if we don't also stay in the Single market. That is far more important for trade normalisation with the EU than the Customs Union.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited June 2017

dixiedean said:

Labour won seats by ignoring Brexit. As many on here point out, Labour LOST an election 5 days ago, so their position is irrelevant. Does the newly-elected govt. have a superior plan? That is a matter of the greatest import for us all.

Labour won seats by neutralising Brexit so they could win back all those UKIP voters they lost leading up to the referendum.
    Could not agree more. For many Leave voters, actually leaving the EU was not crucial to their considerations.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @dixiedean

and the Official Opposition haven't a clue what to do on brexit - great news if in government anytime soon.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    Pulpstar said:

So right now the prospects for Britain look bleak indeed. Hunker down. Winter is coming.

Still, look on the bright side. Well-off oldies are protected and they'll still get their tax-free fuel allowance as the winter sets in, thanks to the election result.

Hmm My parents are grateful, but they could manage their fuel bills before my Dad hit 65. So the cash won't be going to pay his gas and electric, more holidays and general saving...

Not sure its the best use of public money xD
    A German friend asked why the British were not embarrassed that their state pension is so inadequate that its recipients need extra money to buy fuel. I had no answer.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Y0kel said:

I can see the next Tory Party Political Broadcast.

'This is the Labour Party. They want to spend the taxes you pay and control the country's finances.

In the 2017 election they won 262 seats, the Conservatives won 318 seats.

Labour thinks it won the election even though it won 56 less seats than the Conservatives

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

The last thing the tories will want to do is remind anyone of that election.

She's bought shame on herself and the party, and while she's still PM it's taboo to mention her failure. Non-compliance results in social & political ostracism.

Everyone inside the conservative tent must now pretend the election didn't happen.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    atia2 said:

Pulpstar said:

So right now the prospects for Britain look bleak indeed. Hunker down. Winter is coming.

Still, look on the bright side. Well-off oldies are protected and they'll still get their tax-free fuel allowance as the winter sets in, thanks to the election result.

Hmm My parents are grateful, but they could manage their fuel bills before my Dad hit 65. So the cash won't be going to pay his gas and electric, more holidays and general saving...

A German friend asked why the British were not embarrassed that their state pension is so inadequate that its recipients need extra money to buy fuel. I had no answer.
    tell him because we sold everything off to the Germans!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

No trade deals with the rest of the world. Its a stupid idea. Nor does it help us if we don't also stay in the Single market. That is far more important for trade normalisation with the EU than the Customs Union.
    There is no chance that the country will wear freedom of movement continuing; I know you might disagree, but IMO immigration was by far the biggest driver of the Brexit vote.

By contrast, I don't think the average Leave voter gave two figs about signing trade deals with the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Y0kel said:

'This is the Labour Party. They want to spend the taxes you pay and control the country's finances.

Labour thinks it won the election even though it won 56 less seats than the Conservatives

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

The last thing the tories will want to do is remind anyone of that election.

She's bought shame on herself and the party, and while she's still PM it's taboo to mention her failure. Non-compliance results in social & political ostracism.

Everyone inside the conservative tent must now pretend the election didn't happen.
    The country knows she failed to achieve a reachable objective, and the country votes not just the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Hunker down. Winter is coming.

On a positive note, SeanT is still bonking a youngster 30 years younger than himself, so it's not all bad.

What's happened to SeanT? We could do with his calming presence. I wonder if he's shifted his allegiance to Remain and/or Corbynism, but is still working out how to tell us gently.
    He's gone from ultra hard Brexit gives him the horn/bomb France and Germany and kick EU citizens into the channel to very soft Brexit.

He got depressed when I told him it soft Brexit wasn't an option.
    I think it is an option as long as we use an off the shelf arrangement like EFTA. We can worry about what comes next after that when we have much more time. Tbh, we could stay in EFTA for up to 10 years without too much trouble. Most people won't​ notice and difference and the EU will be happy to get £3-4bn per year in membership fees.
    But even that approach does not short-circuit the two-year Article 50 process. Even to get from here to there requires the UK to go through the wringer in a humiliating way, no matter how smoothly the process is handled.
    The article 50 process is only two years if that is how long is needed. Now whilst I agree it is probably going to run the course, if they did get everything sorted by going for the EFTA type deal then they don't have to sit around drinking coffee for the rest of the time. Two years is the maximum time (without extensions) not a set time.
    The most sensible option is, and has always been, to go to EFTA/EEA and then see how we like it. We could even legislate now for a referendum after five years in it.

This would give hope to Europhiles who think we might change our mind. To hard core Brexiteers who think the public would never accept the Norway solution. And to the sensible middle.

And if we did decide to go it alone after five years, we would be doing it from a position of relative strength after we had already rebuilt our non EU trade deals.
    Alright Nige!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXsk0jroOog
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

There is no chance that the country will wear freedom of movement continuing; I know you might disagree, but IMO immigration was by far the biggest driver of the Brexit vote.

By contrast, I don't think the average Leave voter gave two figs about signing trade deals with the rest of the world.
    The point is that being in the Customs Union does not give you the free trade that businesses want. Only the Single Market does that. Being in the Customs Union but not in the Single Market is just dumb. It is the worst of both worlds.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

@dixiedean

and the Official Opposition haven't a clue what to do on brexit - great news if in government anytime soon.

You are spot on right. However, they are no more nor less coherent on this matter than HMG. And HMG have to see it through, and thus will get any blame (or any credit if there is any).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,331
    edited June 2017
    surbiton said:
    Ed 2015 232 seats resigns
    Kinnock 1987 229 seats - goes on to lose 1992.
    Foot 1983 209 seats resigns.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    That's 3 thread headers in a day by right wing hard brexiteers.

Isn't it time for some balance ?

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Yes that seems about right - offering absolutely no positive reason to vote for them, and just rubbishing Labour. Should work about as well as it did this time round.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The point is that being in the Customs Union does not give you the free trade that businesses want. Only the Single Market does that. Being in the Customs Union but not in the Single Market is just dumb. It is the worst of both worlds.
    Is Hammond saying we shouldn't stay in the single market too?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Danny565 said:

Hammond is a prime berk with 2 tin ears.

• Options

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Yes that seems about right - offering absolutely no positive reason to vote for them, and just rubbishing Labour. Should work about as well as it did this time round.
    Indeed. Doubling down on attacks on Corbyn...what could go wrong?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

That'll be ten years of a Theresa May minority government, then. Excellent.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'm afraid Mike is a bit of a snob when it comes to allowing the ukip tendency a thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

rcs1000 said:

Yep. You and I have long been on the same page about this. As it seems are many other PB Leavers.
    Remainers too. I would be happy with this. As would many in the country.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Danny565 said:

Hammond is a prime berk with 2 tin ears.

Yeah he keeps on pranging cars, doesn't he? :lol:
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Is Hammond saying we shouldn't stay in the single market too?
    I was replying to Danny rather than commenting on Hammond. Although the article only mentions the Customs Union. But Danny was talking about being unable to sell the lack of immigration controls which of course implies no Single Market. If that is the case (and I would hope it isn't) then the Customs Union on its own is worse as it takes away our ability to create our own trade deals.
  • Options
    Go back to your allotments and prepare for Govt!

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/874755762525945858
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    Straw in the wind for the Next Labour Leader market?

https://twitter.com/fitzy_blue/status/874540974273421313
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Is there anything significant in the "(Please comment if your choice is not there)" bit?

As those seem an odd selection on their own;
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

That'll be ten years of a Theresa May minority government, then. Excellent.
    Good news for N Ireland at least, the DUP's pork barrels will be overflowing!
  • Options
    nunuone said:

TGOHF said:

I'm afraid Mike is a bit of a snob when it comes to allowing the ukip tendency a thread.
    Don't even waste the electrons by emailing in.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Does business actually want free trade deals aside from those we already have as part of the European Union? We can trade without free trade deals, and free trade deals with larger countries like America will be written entirely to their advantage, and all trade deals will entail a loss of sovereignty.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited June 2017
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

There probably was not pre election with a Tory majority, post election and with a hung parliament there is as the Tories will have to get the support of the DUP for any deal and they will force some concessions on free movement for single market access and the Tory Europhile rebels will do the same. So ironically the Labour Leave voters in the North and Midlands and Wales who stuck with Corbyn and failed to give May the big majority she needed for hard Brexit and ending free movement completely have probably ensured free movement will continue in some form
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Just where exactly then are Labour under Corbyn going to get the extra votes from to get a majority? They did the free stuff for everyone, they got a fair wind, they had their opponents, from Conservative to SNP to Liberal Democrats have crappy campaigns.

They still couldn't do it. What the f**k is wrong with them?

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Just where exactly then are Labour under Corbyn going to get the extra votes from to get a majority? They did the free stuff for everyone, they got a fair wind, they had their opponents, from Conservative to SNP to Liberal Democrats have crappy campaigns.

I see we have reached the anger stage...
  • Options
    This place is much more fun when both sides can amusingly troll each other. It was a bit sad when even the Labour supporters thought there was more chance of Elvis riding Shergar to victory in the Monaco GP than Corbyn winning.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

In one session, TC was the only UK politician in the room when an issue arose - he could have made trouble, but advised the civil servants that they should make a point that supported the government position rather than the Labour Party position.

Politicians were a more decent bunch back then. They seemed to prioritise both country and democracy over party interest. Many of you will be familiar with this tale from the no confidence vote that brought down Callaghan:

In the BBC documentary "A Parliamentary Coup" it was revealed that Bernard Weatherill played a critical role in the defeat of the government in the vote of confidence. As the vote loomed, Labour's deputy Chief Whip, Walter Harrison approached Weatherill to enforce the pairing convention that if a sick MP from the Government could not vote, an MP from the Opposition would abstain to compensate. Weatherill said that pairing had never been intended for votes on Matters of Confidence that meant the life or death of the Government and it would be impossible to find a Conservative MP who would agree to abstain. However, after a moment's reflection, he offered that he himself would abstain, because he felt it would be dishonourable to break his word with Harrison. Harrison was so impressed by Weatherill's offer – which would have effectively ended his political career – that he released Weatherill from his obligation and so the Government fell by one vote on the agreement of gentlemen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_vote_of_no_confidence_in_the_government_of_James_Callaghan
    I think the politicians were closer bound to each other and the people. Their generation had fought together in WW2 and while they may have strongly disagreed with each other they at least knew how to lead and that some things are more important than party.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Lol. You really think the next election is won? Carry on.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

nunuone said:

TGOHF said:

Don't even waste the electrons by emailing in.
    I have had two UKIP/Brexit related threads published. Both when I was a declared member of UKIP and both with only slight editing which actually helped to improve the points I was trying to make
  • Options
    edited June 2017

This place is much more fun when both sides can amusingly troll each other. It was a bit sad when even the Labour supporters thought there was more chance of Elvis riding Shergar to victory in the Monaco GP than Corbyn winning.

I'm enjoying it! I used to get buckets of shit for even suggesting Labour may have a valid point here and there! ps, I'm genuinely sorry the UUP, Alliance +SDLP did so poorly. We wouldn't be in such a poor situation had they won. That, and them being the sensible parties.
  • Options
    From a selfish UUP position I want the DUP to somehow screw this up and for there to be another election quickly. I think SF would lose Foyle and we'd have a good crack at FST and S Antrim. Five years is a long time with no seats.
  • Options
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Does business actually want free trade deals aside from those we already have as part of the European Union? We can trade without free trade deals, and free trade deals with larger countries like America will be written entirely to their advantage, and all trade deals will entail a loss of sovereignty.
    Interesting that you are now arguing that we don't want new trade deals.

Of course if none are actually negotiated then you'll scream later that the sky has fallen in.

I think I'll bookmark this "we don't need no stinkin' trade deals" post for future use.
  • Options
    isam said:

Nige says Students voted twice!

Oh what a circus!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Far from it. I believe it is all to play for. I am trolling the Conservatives who have yet to come to terms with the fact that they didn't win. (I hold with the cricket analogy, Labour batted out a draw despite never looking like winning).
  • Options
    isam said:
    Never beaten always cheated. What an arse!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Far from it. I believe it is all to play for. I am trolling the Conservatives who have yet to come to terms with the fact that they didn't win. (I hold with the cricket analogy, Labour batted out a draw despite never looking like winning).
    In the county championship Cons would have gained more points
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Just where exactly then are Labour under Corbyn going to get the extra votes from to get a majority?

From banishing the perception that he's "unelectable". That was the most important political change last week. Regardless of how the PB analysts classify the result, he looks like a winner to Joe Public now, and success breeds success.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Whats the answer?
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Y0kel said:

Just where exactly then are Labour under Corbyn going to get the extra votes from to get a majority?

From banishing the perception that he's "unelectable". That was the most important political change last week. Regardless of how the PB analysts classify the result, he looks like a winner to Joe Public now, and success breeds success.
    Can you find 8-10% more? I'm not sure he can. The party yes but not the individual.
  • Options

From a selfish UUP position I want the DUP to somehow screw this up and for there to be another election quickly. I think SF would lose Foyle and we'd have a good crack at FST and S Antrim. Five years is a long time with no seats.

Theres investigation on electoral fraud in Foyle of a sort that we specialise in, you turn up, you've already voted.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Indeed. I am not claiming victory. However, there were a few on here (not your good self), who were predicting Labour <150 seats (I seem to remember speculation of <100) and where the Labour floor was. 25%, with some reckoning it could go under 20%. I got withering dismissal. I was with you, that I could not see 100% of the UKIP vote going to Conservative. I grew up with enough to know they'd rather self castrate than do that.
    So you will allow me my "irrational exuberance", and let me have my fun for a bit, please?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Whats the answer?
    Acceptance. Your nailed on massive majority has gone. Pissed away by an incompetent decision and campaign.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Whats the answer?
    Acceptance. Your nailed on massive majority has gone. Pissed away by an incompetent decision and campaign.
    If you look back to April when the election was called, I said i couldn't see the Conservatives getting a massive majority and I stuck by that the whole way through.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

• Options

They really should give Barry a more high profile role. Shadow Home Secretary I think.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Indeed. I am not claiming victory. However, there were a few on here (not your good self), who were predicting Labour <150 seats (I seem to remember speculation of <100) and where the Labour floor was. 25%, with some reckoning it could go under 20%. I got withering dismissal. I was with you, that I could not see 100% of the UKIP vote going to Conservative. I grew up with enough to know they'd rather self castrate than do that.
    So you will allow me my "irrational exuberance", and let me have my fun for a bit, please?</p>
    Permission granted
  • Options
    isam said:

Go back to your allotments and prepare for Govt!

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/874755762525945858

Oh ffs I would actually vote Labour this time! Chaos.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'm enjoying it! I used to get buckets of shit for even suggesting Labour may have a valid point here and there! ps, I'm genuinely sorry the UUP, Alliance +SDLP did so poorly. We wouldn't be in such a poor situation had they won. That, and them being the sensible parties.
    There's only so long you can keep on fighting for the centre ground and losing before losing heart. Poll after poll tells us that the population are more liberal and reasonable than the politicians and time after time when an election is called everyone herds into pens.

When the very constitutional position of a nation is in question, nothing else really counts.

Which is why, after a good look at the results in full I would be utterly shitting myself if I were an SNP supporter. The vast majority of seats have a clear unionist candidate to opt for next time and I think the Union is going to roar back in Scotland, especially now the Labour Party has its tail up. It's also why I now think Ruth should stay in Holyrood. She has a job to finish. She can help save Great Britain for a generation rather than the couple of year generation Sturgeon supposed,
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    dixiedean said:

isam said:
    Never beaten always cheated. What an arse!
    Mini-Trump.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    atia2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought Brown introduced it after VAT was added to domestic fuel.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

Whats the answer?
    If you look back to April when the election was called, I said i couldn't see the Conservatives getting a massive majority and I stuck by that the whole way through.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    http://www.politico.eu/article/kristian-jensen-brits-angry-at-danes-small-nation-jibe/

At a conference called Road To Brexit in Copenhagen on Tuesday, Danish Finance Minister Kristian Jensen said Britain was not in a position to bully Denmark or other members of the European Union during the Brexit negotiation process, Politiken reported.

Jensen added: “There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realized they are small nations.”

Britain’s ambassador to Denmark, Dominic Schroeder, hit back, saying he saw no indications “of a diminished or diminishing power.”
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Y0kel said:

I would agree but he's probably got to sustain this image that he won the election for quite long time. Saying cheekily that he's ready to serve as PM with nothing like enough seats is going to get fairly boring soon.

He has to be careful he wasn't riding a Cleggasm that will ebb. Though I certainly don't see him ever losing his seat!
  • Options
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Labour can't count.

Vote Conservative. '

So you will allow me my "irrational exuberance", and let me have my fun for a bit, please?</p>
    Permission granted
    Ta!
  • Options
    Mimus said:

atia2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought Brown introduced it after VAT was added to domestic fuel.
    Even worse. Our pensioners need extra money to afford the VAT on their fuel!
  • Options
    Lucian_FletcherLucian_Fletcher Posts: 793
    edited June 2017
    Y0kel said:

Theres investigation on electoral fraud in Foyle of a sort that we specialise in, you turn up, you've already voted.
    Tom was being asked about SF shenanigans and he clearly didn't want to talk about it because nobody in GB really believes elections are stolen.

But even at polling stations with a Unionist presiding officer they were bending the rules a wee bit. God knows what they were doing at others

And of course you know the Garrison story from last time they won. That was an outrage.

I actually don't think we would have won FST anyway on Thurs. but Foyle looks well dodgy.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

atia2 said:

Y0kel said:

Can you find 8-10% more? I'm not sure he can. The party yes but not the individual.
    Yes, why not. He has gone from 20% to 100% of his most implacable opponents: the PLP!

8% of the public is easy peasy, especially with his demographics.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

dixiedean said:

There's only so long you can keep on fighting for the centre ground and losing before losing heart. Poll after poll tells us that the population are more liberal and reasonable than the politicians and time after time when an election is called everyone herds into pens.

When the very constitutional position of a nation is in question, nothing else really counts.

Which is why, after a good look at the results in full I would be utterly shitting myself if I were an SNP supporter. The vast majority of seats have a clear unionist candidate to opt for next time and I think the Union is going to roar back in Scotland, especially now the Labour Party has its tail up. It's also why I now think Ruth should stay in Holyrood. She has a job to finish. She can help save Great Britain for a generation rather than the couple of year generation Sturgeon supposed,
    </blockquote
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Urgh. Just seen Jon Snow's Sinn Fein group hug.
  • Options
    "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to Gove."
  • Options
    OpenSeasOpenSeas Posts: 7
    Students voting twice. Sign the petition demanding Electoral Commission investigates.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-electoral-commission-general-election-fraud-2017
  • Options
    OpenSeas said:

Students voting twice. Sign the petition demanding Electoral Commission investigates.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-electoral-commission-general-election-fraud-2017

Before the election we said the momentum lot were cray cray..........
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

http://www.politico.eu/article/kristian-jensen-brits-angry-at-danes-small-nation-jibe/

At a conference called Road To Brexit in Copenhagen on Tuesday, Danish Finance Minister Kristian Jensen said Britain was not in a position to bully Denmark or other members of the European Union during the Brexit negotiation process, Politiken reported.

Jensen added: “There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realized they are small nations.”

Britain’s ambassador to Denmark, Dominic Schroeder, hit back, saying he saw no indications “of a diminished or diminishing power.”

Den who?
This discussion has been closed.