Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Should voting intention polls be banned in final stages of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Should voting intention polls be banned in final stages of GE campaigns: 30pc of MPs are in favour

A new ComRes survey of 159 MPs reveals that 30% of MPs overall, including 35% of Labour MPs and one in four Tories (25%), would support a ban on the publication of opinion polls in the run-up to General Elections.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2013
    - "Should voting intention polls be banned in final stages of GE campaigns?"

No.

The problem with a ban is not that it is not going to work, it is that it is an infringement on a free press.

(Which makes it horrifying that over 30% of "Liberal" Democrat MPs support a ban. Extremely small sample size mind.)
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2013
    Mike mentions India as an example of a ban in place, but that is very new. The most significant and relevant example is surely France, where late polls have been banned for decades(?) I cannot find an exact date online, but I'm sure some knowledgable PBer can help.

Given their current political crisis, ought anybody to be imitating French politics right now? National Front vs Hollande (BNP vs Michael Foot) is like choosing between different categories of Dante's hell.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/10/hollande-warns-rise-nationalists-europe-elections
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Personally, given LD canvassing tactics I'm amazed that they're opposed. Of course, could mean the unscrupulous could rely on voodoo polls!
  • Options
    Obviously unenforceable as stated. The way to bring this off would be to require pollsters to release ten bogus polls for every real one and flood the zone with junk.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 12th November - Con 32%, Lab 42%, LD 8%, UKIP 10%; APP -28
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    Labour and Ed Miliband heading for victory with YouGov.

A ban on opinion polls would certainly make the campaign more interesting.
  • Options
    yougov table of results given is that of yesterday at present
  • Options

- "Should voting intention polls be banned in final stages of GE campaigns?"

No.

The problem with a ban is not that it is not going to work, it is that it is an infringement on a free press.

(Which makes it horrifying that over 30% of "Liberal" Democrat MPs support a ban. Extremely small sample size mind.)

A bit like the SNP moves to academics on the IndyRef
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour and Ed Miliband heading for victory with YouGov.

Is the GE tomorrow? Did I miss something?

On topic, no, bonkers - in any case I suspect politicians over estimate the impact of polls on voters - and small base size noted, interesting to see who is most in favour of bans.....

• Options
    Jack Straw has admitted that throwing open Britain’s borders to Eastern European migrants was a ‘spectacular mistake’.

The former Home Secretary said Labour’s 2004 decision to hand immediate working rights to Poles and migrants from other new EU states was a ‘well-intentioned policy we messed up’.

His comments emerged on the same day as his successor as Home Secretary, David Blunkett, warned that the influx of Roma migrants into Britain risked causing riots.

Mr Blunkett’s comments reinforced the significance of Mr Straw’s admission about Labour’s failure to anticipate the scale of migration when eight former Soviet bloc nations became EU members, and Britain – almost alone in Europe – allowed the free movement of workers between countries.

At the time, the Government predicted up to 13,000 migrants would come to Britain each year. The actual total over nearly a decade was more than a million.

Virtually every other EU state, apart from Ireland and Sweden, kept their jobs markets closed for the seven years permitted.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2504398/A-spectacular-mistake-immigration-Straw-finally-admits-Labour-messed-letting-million-East-Europeans.html#ixzz2kVJyqIrY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    They used to ban polling in France during the last week of Presidential elections.

That the French did this, Ipso Facto makes it a terrible idea.
  • Options
    Tony Blair took his earning power to astonishing new heights yesterday when he pocketed £150,000 for just an hour’s work.

The former Prime Minister, who is said to have amassed a £50 million fortune since leaving office, was paid the staggering sum for conducting two 30-minute events in Dubai.

His fee for talking about global affairs in the fabulously wealthy Gulf state worked out at £2,602 per minute.

His work as a Middle East ‘peace envoy’ is unpaid but his latest trip to the region was as guest of honour of Arabian Business magazine, which is presided over by its chairman, journalist and BBC broadcaster Andrew Neil.

Mr Blair, who was accompanied by his wife Cherie, gave a 30-minute speech on Monday on global and economic affairs to 600 of the Gulf region’s key business leaders at the newly-opened JW Marriott Marquis hotel in Dubai, the world’s tallest hotel.

His appearance was arranged to mark the magazine’s business achievement awards.

That was followed yesterday by another 30-minute engagement on stage with Mr Neil at the annual Arabian Business forum, also in the JW Marriott.

A source said he was being paid a $250,000 fee - equal to £156,124. In addition, a source said his team of eight was being put up in the finest Dubai hotels and entertained with no expense spared by their Middle Eastern hosts.

Mr Blair was offered accommodation in the £7,140-a-night penthouse suite of the JW Marriott but demanded to be moved, according to sources.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2504757/Blair-speech-earns-2-600-minute-Former-PM-earns-astonishing-150-000-half-hour-speaking-events.html#ixzz2kVLrnZvZ
  • Options
    Morning All

Agree it would be unenforceable given today’s on-line presence, but how should a surfeit of spurious polls on twitter be regarded? - Unreliable at best I’d imagine.

As far as I’m aware there are currently no restrictions on the publication of pre-election surveys in the UK, although the publication of exit polls taken before voting closes is prohibited by the Representation of the People Act (Amendment), 2000 ?. – I don’t think there are any changes to that state being proposed by anyone, nor do I see it changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Interestingly the Labour lead is firming up when growth has returned and the cost of living has come down with the drop in petrol prices.

What`s George going to pull out of his hat come December 5? Help to rent perhaps!
  • Options
    YouGov tables:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7zv34u8cef/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-121113.pdf

Lab pick up among 2010 Lib Dem voters - now 37% say Lab vs 30% Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg will today launch a fightback against Ed Miliband’s successful campaign on the “cost of living crisis”, claiming that a Labour government would wreck the economic recovery.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-to-take-on-ed-miliband-over-cost-of-living-crisis-8935738.html
  • Options
    Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has fired a broadside at Brussels after a top judge warned that dozens of new ‘human rights’ had been smuggled into Britain by the back door.

High Court judge Mr Justice Mostyn said the European Union’s Charter of Fundamental Rights appeared to apply in the UK, despite the last Labour government supposedly negotiating a watertight ‘opt out’.

The judge said a ruling by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) meant that the Charter, which contains a ‘host of new rights’, was valid in British courts. He said: ‘The constitutional significance of this can hardly be overstated.’

Last night, Mr Grayling said: ‘Labour duped us when it signed the Lisbon Treaty and promised this kind of ruling wouldn’t happen. We cannot go on seeing crucial decisions about our society and our system of justice and government being taken by unaccountable European courts.

‘That’s why we need to renegotiate our membership of the EU and have a proper in-out referendum.’

The Charter, which contains a bewildering 54 new ‘rights’, including the right to strike, a ‘right to marry and found a family’, a ‘right to collective bargaining’ and a ‘right to fair working conditions’. It was attached to the EU’s Lisbon Treaty which was signed in 2007 and Tony Blair told MPs that it was ‘absolutely clear that we have an opt-out’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2504832/Dozens-EU-human-rights-smuggled-UK-Grayling-attacks-Brussels-claims-judge.html#ixzz2kVPbeW32
  • Options
    In India polls are conducted over a month in 5 states so that security personnel can be moved around,so quite different from our election.

Banning polls for 48 hours before voting may help to stop rogue polls which intend to influence the election.But in general bans should be avoided if possible.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Banning polls for 48 hours before voting may help to stop rogue polls which intend to influence the election.But in general bans should be avoided if possible.

"Rogue polls" are a natural part of polling - if pollsters don't produce the odd rogue poll they're not doing their job properly. Or are you suggesting there are fraudulent polls? By whom?
  • Options
    I do think there are fraudulent polls which seek to influence voting and create headlines.This can be achieved by changing the weighting criteria easily.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    My ARSE is not up for negotiation.
  • Options
    I've always admired Indian pollsters.

Given the size of the country and the huge demographic variances in the differing regions of India, to get anything approaching an accurate poll is an achievement.
  • Options
    Oh and that a lot of Indian polling is done face to face.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

I do think there are fraudulent polls which seek to influence voting and create headlines.This can be achieved by changing the weighting criteria easily.

Who, when?

• Options
    SMukesh said:

In India polls are conducted over a month in 5 states so that security personnel can be moved around,so quite different from our election.

I'd like to see that taken a step further. Get rid of the nationwide election day and do two or three constituencies a week.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited November 2013
    Twitter makes a ban impossible even if it's desirable, but polls don't move that much in the campaign anyway, as a rule. The time when people start to make up their minds is earlier - my impression is that quite a lot already have.

The YG is interesting because the secondaries are quite stable, suggesting that it's not an unusually warped sample. My impression from doorsteps is that we're now seeing a bit of the exasperated switching that you usually see mid-term, mostly from some of the remaining LibDems, who just think the Government is really rubbish. Clegg needs to get on with the differentiation strategy if he wants to avoid a catastrophe.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Non-story...

@Sun_Politics: EXCL: Labour MP Tom Watson's bitter attack on Ed Miliband over Falkirk vote rig scandal - "he got it so wrong". http://t.co/VIDlX8nulk
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Is there anything some of those elected to protect our freedoms do not want to ban? It really is remarkable. What a silly idea.

The Yougov seems to show yet further strengthening of the Labour lead and vote. The tories are back to where they were a year ago with all the progress of 2013 reversed. Ho hum.

My understanding of the fundamental freedoms is that they are not intended to be free standing rights as such but are intended to influence how all the other legislation and provisions are interpreted in the same way that our courts have to interpret UK legislation in a way that is consistent with the ECHR.

Is Mr Grayling seriously arguing that EU legislation was to be interpreted differently in the UK from the rest of the EU? Did he think that despite the terms of the European Communities Act that our courts would not have regard to decisions of the ECJ which would of course have regard to the fundamental freedoms in their interpretation?

This man is Lord Chancellor for goodness sake. I mean I know he is not a lawyer but jeez.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Scott_P said:

Non-story...

@Sun_Politics: EXCL: Labour MP Tom Watson's bitter attack on Ed Miliband over Falkirk vote rig scandal - "he got it so wrong". http://t.co/VIDlX8nulk

What exactly do you think the impact of Falkirk will be?

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    It's loose to say this isn't enforceable. It would be on at least two fronts. First twitter is not un-policed. As recent libel cases have shown people are being prosecuted for what they put on twitter and there's evidence of more care in what people put. Second and more seriously I doubt any of the top firms would go ahead with commissioned polls whether private or not if they knew they were breaking the law. Can you imagine ICM doing that? I don't think so.

So the issue of whether this idea is a 'bad one' should not be driven by whether or not it's enforceable. Those are two separate issues.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2013

SMukesh said:

I'd like to see that taken a step further. Get rid of the nationwide election day and do two or three constituencies a week.
    Eminently sensible idea.

It would offer many more political betting opportunities, too.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Jack Straw admits Labour made a spectacular mess on immigration.

better get on his case tim or he'll be saying Labour totally scewed the economy next.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2504398/A-spectacular-mistake-immigration-Straw-finally-admits-Labour-messed-letting-million-East-Europeans.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited November 2013
    Re today's Yougov. The counter intuitive increase in Labour's lead against an improving economic backdrop is interesting and in some ways counter intuitive.

My own sense from TV vox pops 'Any Question' audiences 'Question Time' audiences friends my hairdresser Uncle T C..... is that the shift is all to do with the zeitgeist.........

Whereas the likes of Cameron and Osborne might have looked like amiable if over privileged triers they're now looking supercilious. Whereas IDS and Gove might at one time have looked like tough men for tough times now they look bullying.

There's a sense that people are suffering even if it's not them or their immediate circle and they can't understand why the government are taking it out on the vulnerable. It looks particularly inappropriate when prominent members of that government have spent their lives wrapped in cotton wool.

By contrast Millband still looks more geek than PM but a concerned geek and that seems to be where the zeitgeist is pointing.

• Options
    If you ban creditable polling you leave the way open for people to spread false rumours downright lies via every form of electronic media. It would be an entirely counter-productive move.

Labour's opinion poll bounce back is a bit of a surprise given the summer's events. Cost of living is what it's all about. The Tories just have to start delivering; tractor stats - however impressive - will clearly not be enough. Lynton Crosby's skill is the right wing dog whistle, but if the election is not being fought on those terms that £500,000 is going to have to be earned another way. It's worth remembering that his greatest (perceived) successes have been under non-FPTP voting systems.
  • Options
    tim said:

Sadly today we won't be seeing much PB Tory polling analysis.
    If you're a big fan of their insight like me you can get your fix by reprising this thread

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/10/17/con-now-level-pegging-with-lab-amongst-those-certain-to-vote-with-ipsos-mori/

Amidst the ever-naive joy I found this

tim
    October 17
    Ed gets lead back over Dave, that's obviously the most important finding

chortle,

feeeling unloved ? nobody listening to you ? try some retail therapy, have a facial and buy some new shoes you'll feel better for it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Today's inflation report from the BoE should give some insight as to the level of changes that can be anticipated in George's Christmas statement. It will be interesting to see if the Bank's forecast for growth next year is over 2.5% or not. I suspect not and that will come later.

The good news on inflation yesterday is a nice backdrop and it seems likely that UK inflation will edge down on the back of what looks like ever more widely spread deflation on the continent. That means that the Governor will still be pushing any interest rate increases out beyond the election. I still think he will be proved wrong about that but we will see.

So today should be another day of positive economic headlines for the tories. Labour lead of 14% tomorrow? Maybe polling should just be banned altogther.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Re today's Yougov. The counter intuitive increase in Labour's lead against an improving economic backdrop is interesting and in some ways counter intuitive.

My own sense from TV vox pops 'Any Question' audiences 'Question Time' audiences friends my hairdresser Uncle T C..... is that the shift is all to do with the zeitgeist.........

Whereas the likes of Cameron and Osborne might have looked like amiable if over privileged triers they're now looking elitist. Whereas IDS and Gove might at one time have looked like tough men for tough times now they just look bullying.

There's a sense that people are suffering even if it's not them or their immediate circle and they can't understand why the government are taking it out on the vulnerable. Particularly when prominent members of that government have spent their lives wrapped in cotton wool.

By contrast Millband still looks more geek than PM but a concerned geek and that seems to be where the zeitgeist is pointing.

More a case of Ed promising to spend money he doesn't have versus Dave hoping the money will turn up in time for him to spend.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

@Alanbrooke.

There's only one thing better than watching the PB Tories getting their poll analysis wrong.
    And thats watching them ignore the polling

They only have those two modes of course

New shoes tim,new shoes. Ask TSE he'll tell you where to get some nice red ones and then you can go to visit Kansas and see Toto.
  • Options
    @Carlotta

"Nick Clegg will today launch a fightback against Ed Miliband’s successful campaign on the “cost of living crisis”, claiming that a Labour government would wreck the economic recovery."

Smart move. Lib Dems down to 6% tomorrow.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 907
    Had an email from the Labour Party complaining that 252 Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs voted for the bedroom tax.

If the Labour party opposed it where were the 257 Labour MPs last night?
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Carlotta
    Smart move. Lib Dems down to 6% tomorrow.

Well that's a 9 almost guaranteed!

OT - have you seen Gravity? Does it deserve the rave reviews?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    DavidL said:

Today's inflation report from the BoE should give some insight as to the level of changes that can be anticipated in George's Christmas statement. It will be interesting to see if the Bank's forecast for growth next year is over 2.5% or not. I suspect not and that will come later.

The good news on inflation yesterday is a nice backdrop and it seems likely that UK inflation will edge down on the back of what looks like ever more widely spread deflation on the continent. That means that the Governor will still be pushing any interest rate increases out beyond the election. I still think he will be proved wrong about that but we will see.

So today should be another day of positive economic headlines for the tories. Labour lead of 14% tomorrow? Maybe polling should just be banned altogther.

People are exhausted. They are tired of all this austerity everywhere they look; it's been going on for over five years.

No wonder they are happy to give air-time to someone who can promise the world and shun someone who has to tell it like it is.

So much easier to believe someone telling you that everything's going to be OK.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    edited November 2013
    Good morning, everyone.

A ban on publication wouldn't work, but you could ban them being carried out.

Edited extra bit: and I would strongly support this, as well as a limit on the frequency of polls beforehand. YouGov's daily tracker directed opinion more than it reflected it, due to media coverage.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Had an email from the Labour Party complaining that 252 Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs voted for the bedroom tax.

Another "spectacular mistake"?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Presume the 42% may be an outlier. But mystic Dan Hodges predictions of narrowing gaps look as accurate as his other predictions. The man is an invaluable betting tool go opposite way to DH and be sure to be quids in.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Sorry if stating obvious DH is a tool!!
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Presume the 42% may be an outlier. But mystic Dan Hodges predictions of narrowing gaps look as accurate as his other predictions. The man is an invaluable betting tool go opposite way to DH and be sure to be quids in.

I should be fair and point out he was consitently correct last year on the US election, whilst the right wing on here were ramping Mitt, DH was solid on polls based info and predicted an very clear Obama win.

I'm sure he claimed it was bad news for Ed though.....:-)

• Options
    edited November 2013
    @Financier

"A source said he was being paid a $250,000 fee - equal to £156,124. In addition, a source said his team of eight was being put up in the finest Dubai hotels and entertained with no expense spared by their Middle Eastern hosts."

You should see how much a director and a team of eight would charge for shooting a commercial in Dubai. For an ex PM and a team of eight spending two days there that sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited November 2013
    Icarus said:

Some notable absentees spotted by Andrea included:

Ed Balls (he's in USA)
    Douglas Alexander
    Jim Murphy
    Umunna (he's in Palestine)
    Frank Field
    Diane Abbott
    David Blunkett
    Shawn Woodward
    Alan Johnson
    Gordon Brown
    Tessa Jowell

Useful ammo for PMQs....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    It will be interesting to see if Miliband has the courage and honour to apologise to Mitchell during PMQs.
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if Miliband has the courage and honour to apologise to Mitchell during PMQs.

Not holding my breath! Certainly not until next week!

• Options
    @Carlotta

OT - have you seen Gravity? Does it deserve the rave reviews?

As I said on here the other day it's an extraordinary film but it wouldn't be in my top 100. The first twenty minutes are magnificent and poetic. It is also perfectly crafted and though my knowledge of special effects is pretty good this one had me baffled.

Add to that the entire film had a cast of two and for half of it just one and you realize why its too intriguing to miss. Having said that the plot and occasional sentimentality let it down.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    JJ Is there sometnhing new on plebgate...
  • Options
    Roger said:

my knowledge of special effects is pretty good this one had me baffled.

I heard the director talking to Kermode - he said Bullock delivered her performance on her own suspended in a 10ft cube LED box 8 hours a day!
  • Options
    Climate change/typhoon story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24899647

"It is therefore essential that we establish an international mechanism on loss and damage here in Warsaw and address this crisis once and for all," she said.

Despite their sympathy for the situation in the Philippines, developed nations are likely to resist a formal, legal basis for future loss and damage claims associated with climate change.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've not read the Daily Mail, but Jack Straw's mini Mea Culpa on immigration fits in with Ms Thornberry's on QT last week. Labour are now whispering that they got it wrong ten years ago but they know better now so let's move on and forget all about it.

Immigration isn't a big issue for me (not many come to Merseyside), but it could be used to show a severe bout of incompetence by Labour if virtually all the other EC countries took steps to limit it at the time.

I think Labour let rip deliberately. That's fine if they admit it. At least tim is honest - he believes unlimited immigration is good for the UK. Many Labour politicians do too, but they know the polls are against them, so they will deny it.

And they know they will get away with it because the Tories are so frit of Ukip, they daren't mention it themselves.

Politicians being dishonest? Hardly a surprise but then they wonder why no one trusts them.

• Options
    Thanks to David L - the thinking man's Tory - for discussing the polling.

In the absence of dimwit PB Tory analysis, I'll have a go. 42 is an outlier - and don't look at the lead, look at the share. That's around the 39% level and perhaps solidifying slightly, with daily polling bouncing around on a MoE basis.

As for banning polling, at any time. No. Would mean empirical research would be replaced by Tory/PB Tory anecdote, and that is a dark future indeed.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I've not read the Daily Mail, but Jack Straw's mini Mea Culpa on immigration fits in with Ms Thornberry's on QT last week. Labour are now whispering that they got it wrong ten years ago but they know better now so let's move on and forget all about it.

No it's nastier than that - they're positioning themselves to say "look we admit we got it wrong over Poland and so forth- but why hasn't the government done something about Romania & Bulgaria?" - when they know darn fine they can't, short of leaving the EU.

Expect calls from Ed of "Something must be done!" "Something" left unspecified.....

• Options
    @Tim:

You used a two-word phrase last night, which soon got edited out. May I suggest that you should reserve the last word of that phrase for yourself?

I have repeatedly asked for your timeline regarding Plebgate. You have yet to provide it. As far as I'm aware, you have also failed to condemn anyone who lied to bring down a cabinet minister. Unless you think what happened was fine?

Yet again, you are using the "look, squirrel" tactics we all know and hate. Cameron was in an no-win position - whatever he did, you would now be criticising.

It is this sort of 'analysis' that makes so many of your posts on here worse than useless. You let your hatred rule your head.
  • Options
    Mr. Ajob, you don't think there's a danger of overly frequent polls leading to polling becoming an influence over opinion rather than merely reflecting it?

Furthermore, the debates (boo hiss), via the worm (wide open to mob effects or a single zealot/hater substantially altering it), could increase this effect dramatically.

For example: there's a debate in the latter stages of the election campaign. Trident gets mentioned. Clegg reaffirms the traditional Lib Dem stance, which is not broadly popular. The small number of people who get an enormous influence over the worm (which tracks how 'popular' a speaker is at a given moment) give him a big negative. This feeds into the next opinion polls, which see a slump in Lib Dem support. They don't recover because people like backing a winner, and they're constantly told on the news that the Lib Dem support has collapsed (because we get polls every single day).
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Assuming 2.2% inflation is an accurate reflection of reality* if it's above rising incomes then as far as cost of living is concerned things are still getting worse - just slower.

*for example say there was a time when spending was weighted 50/50 between necessities and discretionary spending and the basket used to calculate inflation at that time was also weighted 50/50 and then the percentage of incomes gradually slid more and more into necessities while necessities inflation increased faster than inflation for all the other stuff then the actual rate of inflation being experienced would get out of whack with the headline figure.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013
    It should be remembered, especially when the enforcement of such a proposal is dismissed out of hand as impractical, that the publication of exit polling before the close of polling is an offence contrary to s. 66A of the Representation of the People Act 1983. That provision is enforceable and in principle could be extended to the publication of polling during the campaign. Injunctions restraining the publication of highly sensitive information in general continue to work in the age of Twitter, and there is no reason why a ban of the publication of polls would not work. Mike may be right that 'parties would leak data it they thought it would benefit them'. The point is that if section 66A were extended in the way I have described, the person publishing the leak would be criminally liable, and would likely be deterred from doing so. The idea is perfectly practicable.

As for the merits of the proposal, it seems like an unwelcome, unnecessary and restrictive import from the Continent that we could do without.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Bruce Keogh's report - 40% of those attending A&E require no treatment.

Man up Britain !

• Options
    Awesome. - For those that missed it – Paxo trumps Dimbleby.

http://order-order.com/2013/11/13/watch-paxo-tattoo-tops-dimbleby/#comments
  • Options
    tim said:

@Tim:

You used a two-word phrase last night, which soon got edited out. May I suggest that you should reserve the last word of that phrase for yourself?

I have repeatedly asked for your timeline regarding Plebgate. You have yet to provide it. As far as I'm aware, you have also failed to condemn anyone who lied to bring down a cabinet minister. Unless you think what happened was fine?

Yet again, you are using the "look, squirrel" tactics we all know and hate. Cameron was in an no-win position - whatever he did, you would now be criticising.

It is this sort of 'analysis' that makes so many of your posts on here worse than useless. You let your hatred rule your head.

It's your decision to concentrate on Ed Miliband and ignore the central role played by David Cameron in sitting on the CCTV evidence, what your motivation for that is is anyones guess

I'm not concentrating on Ed Miliband. I'm saying that Ed used the Mitchell saga on at least two occasions at PMQs, lambasting someone who has, by any reasonable judgement, been shown to be innocent. In those circumstances I would apologise. It's the decent thing to do.

There are other aspects of the saga which I also mention from time to time, as you well know. Sadly, because of the rather drawn-out investigations, the most important half of the story is difficult to talk about.

Your attempt to divert the story to Cameron from evident police corruption is hilarious, especially when you would now be criticising Cameron whatever he had done. ("the CCTV was not his to release, and the fact he released it shows it cannot be trusted" or "it's all a set-up of the police by the tories") and other such nonsense.

Then again, your hatred is so great, you claimed that a man crying at a funeral would set the media narrative...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    TGOHF said:

Man up Britain !

Holy Cow - that's a lot - I only go to A&E if told to by my GP or if I'm gushing blood.
  • Options
    tim said:

@JosiasJessop.

Pitiful and long winded.
    And here was me expecting some of that trademark polling insight.
    Guess I'll have to make do with you failing to answer why Cameron sat on the CCTV coverage for the 72nd time.

As you well know, I rarely comment (*) on individual polls. Enough people make idiots of themselves doing that, without my input. ;-)

You have yet to prove he 'sat' on the CCTV evidence, especially for the three months you have repeatedly claimed. It is an allegation. Neither have you said what he should have done given the manufactured media furore. Neither have you said what your reaction would have been to that. One thing can be guaranteed - it would not be positive.

Your trolling is distinctly third-class. The occasional gem of political insight you give us on here is overwhelmed by thousands of posts based on nothing but hate.

Sort your life out, mate.

(*) I think I've commented on individual polls twice here on PB.
  • Options
    @Tim

Why no PMQs today?

@Morris

Debates are excellent, removing them would be absolutely barmy. You worried that Cameron will try to chicken out?
  • Options
    tim said:

@Tim:

It's your decision to concentrate on Ed Miliband and ignore the central role played by David Cameron in sitting on the CCTV evidence, what your motivation for that is is anyones guess

Oh. We're back here are we?

Fine.

Cam is paralysed by toff-dom. Being seen as out of touch is most damaging of all to him and hence his sensitivity. Not how I would play it but fair enough. So suppose he had (wanted to) wade in and a different recording had confirmed the DPG's version? The tape wasn't like an episode of Midsomer Murders. There was plenty of room for doubt. And the intervention blows 5% in the polls for him that instant. The risk was too high.

But you know that.
  • Options
    I see Plato waits for her GP to send her to A&E (unless she has severed an artery).

The PB Tories just excel themselves, day after day.
  • Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Man up Britain !

Holy Cow - that's a lot - I only go to A&E if told to by my GP or [snip].
    But Isn’t that the problem though? - My understanding of the A+E abuse is that the unavailability of GPs generally, especially out of hours, means they no longer act as a buffer to those that do not genuinely need emergency treatment.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Bobajob.

Another of Dave's "get parliament to rise on a Tuesday so there's no PMQs" tactics he did so often in the spring.
    God knows what this holiday is about.

FFS

Are they ever there? Ridiculous

• Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Man up Britain !

Holy Cow - that's a lot - I only go to A&E if told to by my GP or if I'm gushing blood.
    On TODAY R4 about 7.15 this morning, there was a very interesting interview with a mobile paramedic who has had extra training and worked in Surrey who illustrated that for simple accidents/illnesses he was able to carry out quickly the treatment on the spot that would have done in A&E and without the need to use an ambulance or admit to A&E. He was even used in some road accidents to assess whiplash.

• Options
    I think the solution is to rename "A&E" to " Emergency "

Should reduce the numbers attending by 20%.

Oh and charge a tenner or £50 if you are 3 times over the drink drive limit - that won't hurt either.
  • Options
    peterb @purpleline
    UK unemployment data 7. 6% lowest since April 2009 great numbers #EdBallsSuicideWatch
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Plato

"gushing blood"!!!! - must be one of the perils of cat-napping
  • Options
    Financier said:

@Plato

"gushing blood"!!!! - must be one of the perils of cat-napping

Ha! I was play-clawed the other day and got bitten by another who was overly keen on grabbing a slice of chicken - little buggers.
  • Options
    tim said:

Icarus said:

Ed Balls (he's in USA)
    Douglas Alexander
    Jim Murphy
    Frank Field
    Diane Abbott
    David Blunkett
    Shawn Woodward
    Alan Johnson
    Gordon Brown
    Tessa Jowell

Useful ammo for PMQs....
    Here's another one.
    There is no PMQ's
    Have you never heard of pairing?

There is next week. Since this is such a "Flagship" Labour pledge you would have thought the opportunity to embarrass the government too good to miss.....but no.

Particularly surprised by Frank Field's absence.....
  • Options
    Richard Edgar @ITVRichard
    Largest fall in claimant count since 1997, down 41,700 in October. 177,000 more people in work - very strong numbers these.
  • Options
    378,000 more people in work over a year ago.

40k drop in claimant count.

Terrible work George...
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

@Tim:

Fine.

Cam is paralysed by toff-dom. Being seen as out of touch is most damaging of all to him and hence his sensitivity. Not how I would play it but fair enough. So suppose he had (wanted to) wade in and a different recording had confirmed the DPG's version? The tape wasn't like an episode of Midsomer Murders. There was plenty of room for doubt. And the intervention blows 5% in the polls for him that instant. The risk was too high.

But you know that.
    Absolutely right, his utter paranoia about his background led him to withhold the CCTV.
    On that we can agree.
    The only paranoia on display is yours......repeated assertions of assumptions do not make them facts.

You and Milband got Plebgate wrong.

Only you have admitted that.

Not sure that should fill Labour supporter's hearts with joy.
  • Options
    tim said:

And it's getting worse

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil
    But wages still not keeping pace with prices: Average earnings increased by 0.7% in the year to September, 0.1% down on the previous month

good total unemployment figures, but anyone wondering why the tories have not benefited in the polls should bear the pay figures in mind, a recovery for those Osborne gave a bonus to in April, no one else

Of course these earnings figures don't include the tax cuts - so the low paid's takehome is up a bit more than that..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Jessop

"Unless you think what happened was fine?"

This story has taken on a life of it's own. The reason he was fired was because he swore at the poilce in temper and his boss thought that inappropriate behaviour for a Cabinet Minister.

Whether F*** C*** rather than 'pleb' makes it less likely Cameron would have fired him is something only Cameron can answer. Everything else is waffle.

For me the most unedifying spectacle was Keith Vaz hectoring the policeman whether he ought to apologize to Mitchell. It was supposed to be an inquiry into what happened not an elaborate version of 'I'm A Celebrity...'
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Icarus said:

Ed Balls (he's in USA)
    Douglas Alexander
    Jim Murphy
    Frank Field
    Diane Abbott
    David Blunkett
    Shawn Woodward
    Alan Johnson
    Gordon Brown
    Tessa Jowell

Useful ammo for PMQs....
    Here's another one.
    There is no PMQ's

There is next week. Since this is such a "Flagship" Labour pledge you would have thought the opportunity to embarrass the government too good to miss.....but no.

Have you never heard of pairing.
    This could be bigger than Falkirk in your head I know, and todays Scottish subsample must be gutting but the result would've been no different if pairing had been dropped.

Evidently Rachel Reeves hasn't because she kept going on about IDS absence....until Webb pointed out he was at a Euro summit on Youth Unemployment

How is your "man cries at funeral" story going?

Haven't heard much about it recently......

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Thing about the claimant count dropping and more people in work although those would be good things under normal circumstances if we are in the middle of a wage-driven deflationary spiral then that'll make it worse too.
  • Options
    BBC News Channel

David Freeman also tells the News Channel that there's been a rise in the number of workers aged 65 and over - that's up by about 30,000 to just over 1.04 million, he says. That is the highest level recorded for that age group.

BBC News Channel

Youth unemployment - a hot political issue - has fallen slightly this month. It's gone down by 9,000 in the quarter among people aged 16-24, says David Freeman from the Office for National Statistics. He adds that youth employment is up by 50,000 in the quarter.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Roger said:

@Jessop

"Unless you think what happened was fine?"

This story has taken on a life of it's own. The reason he was fired was because he swore at the poilce in temper and his boss thought that inappropriate behaviour for a Cabinet Minister.

Whether F*** C*** rather than 'pleb' makes it less likely Cameron would have fired him is something only Cameron can answer. Everything else is waffle.

For me the most unedifying spectacle was Keith Vaz hectoring the policeman whether he ought to apologize to Mitchell. It was supposed to be an inquiry into what happened a version of 'I'm A Celebrity...'

So in your world devious dishonesty is acceptable from police.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Morning all :)

It's fair to say polling can have a considerable impact - the first inkling Michael Portillo supposedly had that he might lose in 1997 came from an Observer poll of marginal seats the Sunday before the GE.

That said, I suspect the overwhelming majority of people take little interest in the daily nuances of YouGov and the monthly prevarications of ICM, Populus et al. I can appreciate from a betting standpoint the less information there is the harder it is to find the betting advantage in terms of seat number, turnout and swing markets and the inference that such information is restricted opens the door to potential manipulation of these markets.

Is a complete ban on all polling advocated or simply a ban on specific constituency, regional or highly specific (marginal) polling ? As we know, national VI numbers can hide a multitude of regional sins but a specific constituency poll commissioned by a local newspaper could, I suppose, be a way of changing local perceptions and intentions even if the methodology of that poll wasn';t perhaps as robust as the polling purists would prefer ?

Imagine the differing impact of two polls in the same marginal seat where one shows the incumbent well ahead while the other shows the race too close to call and how that might be used by the parties as a campaigning tool.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

And it's getting worse

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil
    But wages still not keeping pace with prices: Average earnings increased by 0.7% in the year to September, 0.1% down on the previous month

good total unemployment figures, but anyone wondering why the tories have not benefited in the polls should bear the pay figures in mind, a recovery for those Osborne gave a bonus to in April, no one else

Of course these earnings figures don't include the tax cuts - so the low paid's takehome is up a bit more than that..

Osborne blew that message in the Omnishambles, people think it's a Lib Dem policy while he was focused on cutting the top rate.
    Don't forget the Omnishambles, it destroyed Tory messaging.
    None of your frothing changes the fact that low paid take home went up when their IT allowances were increased.

I'm sure for them that is the important thing - we know you don't care about the low paid - you only care if a poll number changes.

An all topics the only thing that matters to you is Labour polling - you care not about the method or the outcomes - chilling.

• Options
    Mr. Ajob, no, I think there's no realistic prospect of any of the three leaders attempting seriously to withdraw.

The debates will remain, but they should not. The worm is the greatest problem, that should definitely be axed. Again, it won't.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    tim said:

tim said:

Icarus said:

Ed Balls (he's in USA)
    Douglas Alexander
    Jim Murphy
    Frank Field
    Diane Abbott
    David Blunkett
    Shawn Woodward
    Alan Johnson
    Gordon Brown
    Tessa Jowell

Useful ammo for PMQs....
    Here's another one.
    There is no PMQ's

This could be bigger than Falkirk in your head I know, and todays Scottish subsample must be gutting but the result would've been no different if pairing had been dropped.

There has been no official pairing in the HofC since 1996
  • Options
    RT @EdConwaySky: Until two or three years ago Britain's unemployment rate was similar to the eurozone's. Not any more

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY8T5FvCQAEgvRm.png
  • Options
    stodge said:

Imagine the differing impact of two polls in the same marginal seat where one shows the incumbent well ahead while the other shows the race too close to call and how that might be used by the parties as a campaigning tool.

I'm not sure "Party X winning here!" Or "Only we can beat Party Y!" Leaflets ever relied on anything as robust as polling.....as Roger would confirm, advertisers would murder for the licence politicians have! (In fairness, they probably wouldn't because they know if you con a consumer one week, they get their revenge the following week - unlike politicians where we have to wait 5 years....)

• Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

@Tim:

Fine.

But you know that.

Absolutely right, his utter paranoia about his background led him to withhold the CCTV.
    On that we can agree.
    So lets have no more of the moral high ground about apologies from the PB Tories, Mitchell swung because Cameron is a paranoid fop
    The tape was inconclusive, the dangers of being wrong high and the dangers of being wrong in a toff-related incident stratospherically high.

But let's be clear - Mitchell swung because of the DPG.
  • Options
    JSA count in biggest annual drop since 1998.

Private sector wages up 1.1% before tax adjustments. Inflation down to 2.2%

Getting closer.

Once Osborne starts hacking away at green taxes on fuel bills the gap will fall more.

Has Osborne learned from his last two budgets? In 2012, he trod timidly along the steady as you go line - and got battered. In 2013 he was bolder and it is yielding economic results and political ones. Cutting the basic rate of income tax must be in his sights.

Today's Yougov is at the top end of the range of leads that fluctuate between 4 and 10. The central number is about 7. Much lower than March.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

Icarus said:

Ed Balls (he's in USA)
    Douglas Alexander
    Jim Murphy
    Frank Field
    Diane Abbott
    David Blunkett
    Shawn Woodward
    Alan Johnson
    Gordon Brown
    Tessa Jowell

Useful ammo for PMQs....
    Here's another one.
    There is no PMQ's

There has been no official pairing in the HofC since 1996
    tim just gets funnier with age.

anyhoo, what's your current reading of the polls ? To me this still looks like a HP with everybody suddenly agreeing with Nick again.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I don't see how the government can do much about wages when EU rules effectively give UK employers an enormous pool of labour - much of it sitting around and doing nothing because of desperate problems in Spain, Italy, France and the like.

Went into Costa Coffee the other day and got Ritz level service from some bilingual spanish graduate happy to be working at all.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    A colleague's husband of mine' workplace is heading for a strike. He's not part of the union and isn't really fussed. But obviously he is caught between his colleagues and management.

Best course of action in this sort of situation is to take a day's holiday thus avoiding both side's hassle ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

. The reason he was fired....'

He resigned. Though Ed did call for him to be sacked.....

Tom Watson also resigned. Anyone know why?

This discussion has been closed.