Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Panelbase SNP Poll

13»

Comments

• Options
    Also - I think that it's a mistake to think that Gordon Brown was an unmitigated electoral liability. Of course, in my personal opinion he was was an unmitigated disaster as PM, and senior civil servants and his colleagues seem to agree, but as far as the average Labour or Labour-leaning voter is concerned, I'm not sure it was that clear cut. He was quite cunning and, at his best, came over as a serious figure (I know, I know... but I'm talking about how voters who didn't take too much notice would have viewed him). It's not obvious to me that Miliband vs Brown as a comparison is going to be favourable to Miliband in pure electoral terms.
  • Options
    SO is locked into the infantile and meaningless ""blame meme.. no surprise there then .. It's not working SO ..Have a chat wih the Cheshire Farmer after he has brought tbe cows in, work on another one
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Because Labour was tired, tainted, discredited and led by Gordon Brown. Labour lost in 2010 for reasons that were entirely its own fault.

Who are you going to blame next time?

Should it happen it will be Labour's fault, just as it is every time Labour loses. If you cannot persuade enough people to embrace your message, then instead of blaming others you have to ask yourself why not enough voters were prepared to listen. You have to ask what you did wrong. As Jonathan says, Labour spent years blaming everyone else for its own failings and as it did so it kept on losing. I suspect that the Tories will continue to fall short while they look outside their party for why they have not secured a majority for over 20 years; we shall see.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    TGOHF said:

Mr Nabavi gives an critique of his own side -fair play.

Unheard of from PB lefties.

That's unfair. Plenty of criticism there. You're just too busy spouting polarising bullshit like "Ed is Crap" to notice.

Labour have strengths and weakness.

Strengths

Better organised and diciplined
    Only party with national reach
    Better campaigners and have been winning by-elections.

Weaknesses

Questions over leader
    Needs an answer to economic questions
    Lacking positive big idea that resonates with electorate.
  • Options

SO is locked into the infantile and meaningless ""blame meme.. no surprise there then .. It's not working SO ..Have a chat wih the Cheshire Farmer after he has brought tbe cows in, work on another one

House!

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Non-story

DPJHodges: Falkirk stays in special measures. New Unite activists not allowed to vote in new selection. Unite cleared on singing up without knowledge.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    How come the PB Hodges are quoting One eyed Dan less? Is it because he is the Thatcherite cuckoo in the Cameroon nest now?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    Jonathan said:

I would start by asking the question, how do I win Eastleigh. Until you answer that question you will be losing not gaining seats in May 2015.

Yes, that's a fair point. Eastleigh is the kind of seat where we should be doing better, although the LibDems do have a good record of digging in.

At the risk of starting tim off: I met a number of would-beTory candidates the other day (i.e. people on the approved list and still looking for a seat to contest). The standard seemed pretty high - it made me wonder how some of the less impressive candidates of 2010 got selected...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

That's unfair. Plenty of criticism there. You're just too busy spouting polarising bullshit like "Ed is Crap" to notice.

Strengths

Weaknesses

Questions over leader
    Fair play - I'd dispute that Labour has national reach - a lot of "red free zones"

http://www.libdemvoice.org/economist-political-map-of-uk-34188.html
  • Options
    SO "House" so speaks Mr Bingo.. tims minder..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Non-story

DPJHodges: Falkirk stays in special measures. New Unite activists not allowed to vote in new selection. Unite cleared on singing up without knowledge.

BINGO!!!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I would start by asking the question, how do I win Eastleigh. Until you answer that question you will be losing not gaining seats in May 2015.

Yes, that's a fair point. Eastleigh is the kind of seat where we should be doing better, although the LibDems do have a good record of digging in.
    The LDs have lost support in Eastleigh. That support has not gone to the Conservatives, they have also lost support in Eastleigh.

• Options
    Strong. Decisive.

@MichaelLCrick: Senior Labour source in Falkirk says Miliband "hasn't a backbone" + did U-turn "purely on the basis that the GMB took their funding away"
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    edited September 2013
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Strengths

Weaknesses

Questions over leader
    It was ironic that TGOHF;s comment about lefties not critiquing their own side came right after a comment from SouthamObserver which said:

"Because Labour was tired, tainted, discredited and led by Gordon Brown. Labour lost in 2010 for reasons that were entirely its own fault."

Perfect timing :-)
  • Options
    Bush=Blair
    tim=SO
    BINGO
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    This is turning into a massive potential victory for Ed. Now he just has to sell it....

Theoretically it shouldn't be difficult as leaders accross the globe are falling in behind him. The latest being the Pope the head of the UN and even Congress

Cameron is isolated and becoming enfeebled. His Yougov numbers are going down again. It's never been so true that a week is a long time in politics.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Just checking the BBC news site, and found this as top comment on the USA/Russia disagree story:
    "Watching Obama's post summit press conference

Cheap shot about helping the British when London was being bombed

The US didn't intervene militarily when London was being bombed in 1940

The US helped the UK with military supplies, which we paid for using US loans, which we paid back & handing over UK overseas territories to the US.

The US only joined the war fully in 41 after they were bombed"

I wonder what words, precisely, Obama used. I don't know the term for the opposite of a Pyrrhic victory (Leonidine defeat?), but increasingly Cameron's 'failure' in the Commons is looking helpful rather than harmful.

If I understood Obama's remarks correctly, he was referring to the fact that people in the US were not keen to join the war when London was being bombed. In the same way, people in the US may not want to take action against Syria for using CW on civilians even though some leaders like himself think it should be done.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Clearly you believe the Tories *should* coast to victory in 2015 and secure a pretty large majority. What on earth will it say about them if they cannot do so, first against Gordon Brown and then Ed Miliband?

I imagine it will be someone else's fault.

It will be a combination of the skewed boundaries which no person of integrity could accept as reasonable, the difficulty of getting re-elected if you are in government at a time when the world economy is the worst in living memory and you inherited the worst legacy of any major economy in Europe, the long-standing anti-Tory prejudice (which you yourself have pointed to many times) which was so brilliantly stoked up by Alastair Campbell, a large body of payroll voters, a state broadcaster which is on any objective measure is heavily biased to the left and yet which is widely trusted as being impartial, and a rather self-destructive lack of party discipline and disunity on the right, most notably the bizarre antics of UKIP trying to work for a Labour government.

The Tories will not win outright until they take ownership of their under performance. As your post demonstrates, there seems to be a tendency to blame everyone and everything else.

IMO your appeal is far too focussed towards a section the south-east middle class. Cameron had a crack at widening your party's appeal, but has since peddled back.

Your party resembles Labour if it had won in 92. It took that extra defeat for Labour to ask the really difficult questions and stop blaming everyone else.
    I don't think Mr Cameron has peddled back. He's just picked the wrong group of voters for the Conservative Party to pitch to: Guardian readers.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    edited September 2013
    Andy_JS said:

Someone called Dr Kevin Bonham has a projection model for the Australian election.

Latest seats projection:

Coalition: 96
    Labor: 51
    Others: 3

http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/

Which makes a mockery of both the anti-AV people who tell us we voted against PR when we voted against AV, and the pro-AV people who in some way think it's better than FPTP

• Options
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 34s

Falkirk Labour source claims witnesses to wrongdoing were persuaded to withdraw their evidence under pressure
  • Options
    Speaking of Lib Dems - At a council election last night in Dorset, the local Lib Dem leader decided to stand as an independent, rather than a Lib Dem ..... it didn't help him though, he came fourth of five. Can't fault his effort.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Someone called Dr Kevin Bonham has a projection model for the Australian election.

Latest seats projection:

Which makes a mockery of both the anti-AV people who tell us we voted against PR when we voted against AV, and the pro-AV people who in some way think it's better than FPTP

Hmmm... What about those of us who voted against AV because we quite like the idea of PR?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Final polls before tomorrow's Australian general election - Reachtel Coalition 53-ALP 47, Essential Research Coalition 52- ALP 48, Galaxy Coalition 53- ALP 47, Nielsen Coalition 54-ALP 46, Newspoll Coalition 54-ALP 46, Morgan Coalition 53.5-ALP 46.5, Lonergan Research Coalition 50.8-ALP 49.2
    http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/2013/09/06/galaxy-and-reachtel-53-47-essential-research-52-48/?comment_page=47/#comments
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Falkirk Labour source claims witnesses to wrongdoing were persuaded to withdraw their evidence under pressure

A Forces of Hell tribute band?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Latest seats projection:

Well, I went for COA 82, LAB 62, OTH 6 in PBer Double Carpet's Election Game.
  • Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

These Rangers fans who don't like "Popeist" immigrants, how's their self critique doing?

Link to "don't like" ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Non-story
  • Options

Scrapheap's conclusion on Falkirk

tim was right, it was a non-story.

problem was Ed M made it a massive one.

Well done Ed! Great party management again....

Ross Hawkins@rosschawkins

Ed Miliband 9 July: "What we saw in Falkirk is part of the death-throes of the old politics."

Not dead yet ..
  • Options

Hmmm... What about those of us who voted against AV because we quite like the idea of PR?

We are very sensible insightful people, I am holding out for STV.

• Options
    My critique of Labour is that with a few exceptions - Cruddas, Adonis, Hopi - it has almost totally failed to engage with the realities of the 21st century, not just over the last three years but ever since this century started. Far too many people in Labour do not seem to get aspiration; they fail to properly comprehend why the Tories do genuinely speak for many millions of voters; too many of their priorities are not the priorities of most people; there is too much triangulation (which is how Labour ended up with EdM). Labour can win elections by not being the Tories, but that is not good enough.
  • Options
    Sunil/Andy JS It depends on whether it is 54/46 as Newspoll and Nielsen suggests, in which case the ALP will fall below 60 seats, or 53/47 or so as Galaxy, Reachtel and Essential Research suggests in which case they should just about stay above it. Morgan is in-between.
  • Options
    Strong. Decisive.

@JGForsyth: Labour clearing Unite just ahead of TUC, awful 4 Miliband. Makes it easy for the Tories to say that whatever he says, he’ll fold in the end
  • Options

I may run a PB poll over the weekend.

What is your preferred electoral voting system for Westminster elections.

a) FPTP
    b) AV
    c) STV
    d) Mixture of constituency and list as used in devolved governments in the UK
    e) Directly Elected Dictator

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Lefties ponder this on the Non story in Falkirk... If the people involved had been right and followed procedure they would have stuck to their guns or principles.. they did not .
    They are not shrinking political violets.
    Very much a NON story..
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

And what about those of us forced to opt for FPTP when we actually want a return to pre-1832 conditions with a property franchise etc?

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

a) FPTP
    b) AV
    c) STV

f) PR-squared
    g) EU decide
  • Options
    The Non story from Falkirk should fill a few column inches in the w/ends papers.
    Why back down if everything was above board ..even junior reporters would be after that one
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Falkirk now reeks of the ‘old politics’ even more badly than it did before. But the problem 4 Mili is that Labour now looks complicit in it
  • Options
    Falkirk: non-story....
  • Options
    Whats the point of the special conference ??

Show trials of those that claim wrongdoing ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Quite an accusation from Michael Crick – I thought the days of Gordon’s bully boys were over.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim posts a tweet from Dan Hodges to make a point.

As a farmer, that's hilarious. The PB Kinnocks will be all over that.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Falkirk Labour executive member Brian Capaloff says constituency party have not yet been told whether they're still in "special measures"
  • Options
    David Cameron's G20 speech set to Land of Hope and Glory
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRxOdGW4Ys
  • Options
    tim said:

Why bother?

Why do you stalk my every post. It's creepy.
  • Options

that could be FPTP, AV or the system they use for the London Mayor

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2013
    BBC - “Labour has cleared Unite of trying to rig the selection of a party candidate in Falkirk, claims which led to a major row between the union and Ed Miliband.

The party has decided no organisation or individual broke its rules after evidence of wrongdoing was withdrawn.”

So, not cleared at all then. – does Scotland not have a witness protection programme?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23993368
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why do you stalk my every post. It's creepy.

He appears to have acquired you as a target for some reason. Puts you in the company of Plato and fitalass.

• Options
    @DAaronovitch: The statement on Falkirk: "No organisation or individual has been found to have breached the rules as they stood at the time." At the time?

Non-story
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

And what about those of us forced to opt for FPTP when we actually want a return to pre-1832 conditions with a property franchise etc?

Under my fantasy/alternate history "Commonwealth Plus" Imperial Federation, Gib WILL be represented in the Imperial Senate!
  • Options
    Another tweet from the PB Kinnocks' new poster boy, Dan Hodges...

@DPJHodges: Strange. I'm now being tweeted by lots of lefties criticising me for not attacking Ed Miliband enough...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    edited September 2013

that could be FPTP, AV or the system they use for the London Mayor

Re the poll, I hope TSE has decided how which option wins! Will it be the FPTP winner or will he use AV?

:)
  • Options
    Is this still a non-story? The new hero says...

@DPJHodges: Big strategic problem for Ed is Falkirk was basis for reforms. Can't say "well, I was wrong about Falkirk after all. But...".
  • Options
    Any Newspaper Editor worth his salt will be all over the NON story from Falkirk..
    Watergate was a Non Story too..
  • Options
    tims ..look a rabbit diversion
    What is it SO says "House"
  • Options
    That's a great speech by Cameron today. Nice tone as well. If he wasn't already Prime Minister, he'd make a very good ambassador.
  • Options

Any Newspaper Editor worth his salt will be all over the NON story from Falkirk..
    Watergate was a Non Story too..

Not sure it’s a Watergate sized scandal, but it certainly is not a ‘non-story’. Here’s what Iain Watson Political correspondent, BBC News has to say about it

“The process of selecting a Labour candidate in Falkirk provoked the bitterest row between the party and the trade unions in a generation.

This was no local difficulty. It had national and wide-ranging personal and political implications.”
  • Options
    Next said:

a) FPTP
    b) AV
    c) STV

f) PR-squared
    g) EU decide
    h) US-style electoral college based on Counties.

• Options
    Blueberry said:

That's a great speech by Cameron today. Nice tone as well. If he wasn't already Prime Minister, he'd make a very good ambassador.

A Hindustan Ambassador?

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    S.St.S.. Never said it was the same magnitude as Watergate.. it is the cover up that will interest reporters..
    If it was all above board , why pull out?...
    sniff..sniff..sniff.. ..somewhere out there is an e-mail or recorded telephone conversation..as SO says "House"
  • Options
    To coin a phrase I guess one could say that Ed"rushed to War" with the Unions and chaos has followed. What was it Ed said last week "I believe in following the evidence and basing my decision and judgement on that !"
  • Options
    One day someone will write a good book about what happened in Falkirk. From this distance it just seems plain weird.

It'd be interesting for all us anoraks if Miliband was to release the report, redacted for names if necessary. But he hasn't so far, and I doubt he will now. But if he does not, there will always be questions about what it contained and how professional it was.

However, the timing of this announcement is dire. On a Friday afternoon, whilst a G20 discussing possible war is ongoing, and the BBC Trust in trouble. It does smack of trying to hide the story.
  • Options
    JJ.. Ed is probably working on the tried and tested Labour principle of "A good day to bury bad news"
    Worked a treat last time
  • Options

However, the timing of this announcement is dire. On a Friday afternoon, whilst a G20 discussing possible war is ongoing, and the BBC Trust in trouble. It does smack of trying to hide the story.

No, no. Ed swiftly and decisively tried (and failed) to bury bad news.

And it's clearly a non-story. There is no way this story can possibly be bigger than

Man on a boat
    Man on a train
    Man gets out of a car
    Man eats a burger
    Man cries at a funeral

• Options
    Ed might as well have called every newspaper editor and said "Please be gentle with me"
  • Options

Ed might as well have called every newspaper editor and said "Please be gentle with me"

Sadly that right wing rag The Independent did not get his call...
    Ed Miliband made an embarrassing retreat tonight over allegations of vote-rigging by the Unite union in a parliamentary selection contest in Falkirk, Scotland.

The bitter dispute was the catalyst for Mr Miliband’s plans to recast the relationship between Labour and its trade union founders. He wants union members to “opt in” to affiliating to the party rather that the present system of “opting out” if they do not wish to support it financially.

Miliband aides vowed that his radical reforms will go ahead even though furious union leaders have begun to cut their cash support to Labour, which could provoke a financial crisis for the party at the 2015 election.

Allegations in Falkirk that union members were signed up as party members without their knowledge to support Karie Murphy, Unite’s favoured candidate, have been withdrawn after complainants changed their evidence. Labour referred the claims to the Scottish Police, who in July found no grounds for a criminal investigation.

In a major climbdown by Labour, Ms Murphy and Stevie Deans, chairman of the local party in Falkirk and Unite in Scotland, who had been suspended by Labour during its own investigation, were reinstated as party members last night.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/falkirk-contest-ed-miliband-in-embarrassing-retreat-over-voterigging-by-unite-union-8802613.html
  • Options
    Re Hindustan Ambassador:

Pretty car. Looks like a cross between a London taxi and an Austin Mini. With a boot. But I was thinking more of the diplomatic service. I recently read that book of valedictory Ambassadors' letters compiled by Matthew Parris. The spat reminds me of that a bit. I expect our diplomats will be not unpleased with Cameron's riposte.

• Options
    SP..The boy Ed is so effin naive..
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    So Mr Miliband, what first made you consider clearing your biggest financial backer?
  • Options
    Ed is swift and decisive, right? There have been multiple posts praising this quality...
    party insiders have questioned Ed Miliband's judgment in calling in the police and allowing Murphy's suspension before party officials had fully examined the allegations.

One said: "Ed Miliband was not in full possession of the facts but still rushed to judgment in the middle of a media frenzy. He made the wrong call."
    Bloody right wing press.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/06/karie-murphy-labour-candidate-falkirk
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Ed Miliband.

As indecisive and unprincipled over Falkirk as he is over Syria.

The left wing leader who makes Citoyen Hollande look like a statesman.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2013
    Forget about Falkirk report, I am still wondering whose fingerprint was found on the tampered ballot box of Erith & Thamesmead selection 4 years ago!

Ah, in yesterday's news, the MET found no evidence of malpractice in Lewisham Deptford selection.

• Options
    @DPJHodges
    What I don't understand is how does Labour think it's going to get through a Special Conference on all this next year? It will be mayhem.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Has `Call me Dave` decided to call it a day,go back into PR and become the manager of One Direction!

What an embarrassing speech!
  • Options
    SMukesh .. maybe you just don't get it..
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

What an embarrassing speech!

We can just imagine Ed's version.

"That nice Mr Putin was absolutely right. We agree with him that Assad should be left in peace to gas his own people. Please Sir, may I have another..."
  • Options
    ..and tim certainly doesn't..
  • Options
    AVLP..He makes the leader of North Korea look like a Statesman..
  • Options
    tim said:

Senior Lib Dems call for talks with Labour on party funding http://t.co/0lu6H1ugJB

The Tories are going to be in big trouble if the Lib Dems agree with Labour on pushing through a £5k donations limit

Does the £5k limit apply to union donations as well?
  • Options

SMukesh .. maybe you just don't get it..

No I don`t get why a PM has to respond to the jibe of a lowly official.Quite the little Englander!
  • Options
    ..any speech that even hints at Patriotism really hacks off the lefties .. They hate the UK/GB and its history ..no idea why they stick around .. lots of room in Russia..
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    tim said:

..any speech that even hints at Patriotism really hacks off the lefties .. They hate the UK/GB and its history ..no idea why they stick around .. lots of room in Russia..

A back room official says something, best just ignore it rather than expose just how conscious you are that you're a self castrated eunuch at the G20
    I pefer chasing the Prez round the kitchens it's more dignified.
  • Options
    @RicHolden
    Four days ago: Unite threaten to boycott Labour conference unless Murphy and Deans are reinstated. Today: they are reinstated. #WeakWeakWeak
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Senior Lib Dems call for talks with Labour on party funding http://t.co/0lu6H1ugJB

The Tories are going to be in big trouble if the Lib Dems agree with Labour on pushing through a £5k donations limit

Yes
    Really? I am surprised. No getting round it by calling union donations thousands of individual ones?

If that is the case I think Labour have absolutely no plans to implement this rule at all.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

tim said:

tim said:

Yes
    Really? I am surprised. No getting round it by calling union donations thousands of individual ones?

If that is the case I think Labour have absolutely no plans to implement this rule at all.
    If you want fair and competitive politics, cap spending. Funding is nothing more than a red herring.
  • Options
    tim said:

A back room official says something, best just ignore it rather than expose just how conscious you are that you're a self castrated eunuch at the G20
    It looks like noone chatted to Dave and Merkel even took his chair at the G20,so the lame-duck PM had to feign offence at some imaginary official and give a speech to make his presence felt.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Ed Miliband "It was right that he went as he was becoming a distraction"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23186851

Must be a case of follow the money. POEMWAS. Will he be rehiring Watson? Looks like utter horlicks c. Jack Straw.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Yes

Do you bet?
    Not really.

You're telling me that Labour are going to cut off their union money tap forever for no apparent reason? I just find it quite hard to believe, what is their thinking behind it? Where is the rest of their money going to come from?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    tim said:

philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

Yes

If you want fair and competitive politics, cap spending. Funding is nothing more than a red herring.
    That's just a dying party mantra.
    The Tories are obviously reliant on a dozen hedge funds to donate ten times what their entire membership does, but that isn't healthy is it?
    no. I like fair and wide competition. Not the monopoly of money and

Don't know what my phone has done here.
  • Options
    SMukesh.. why do I get the impression from what you post and how you phrase it that you would really love to be a little Englander..
This discussion has been closed.