Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

To you lurkers,  why not take the final few Steps to delurking? I’m sure your contributions won’t be Better Best Forgotten. It’ll be a Tragedy if 5,6.7,8 lurkers don’t delurk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited January 2014
    I was about to have another drink: Maybe not....

:yawn:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good evening, everyone.

It's interesting how certain Roman chaps (Mark Anthony, Pompey) still have, effectively, Anglicised names (in common usage).

I wonder if Miliband could be a modern day Jovian. In Ammianus Marcellinus' history, Jovian is emperor just long enough to concede a cowardly and ruinous treaty with Sapor (reasonably sure that's more commonly written Shapur) before dying of unexplained causes.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    David Cameron: We are still a green government.

Yeh, green, like mouldy cheese; the spores are spreading.

Why does Cammo keep declaiming inanities?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    3. Young whippersnapper forgetting 1929.
  • Options
    EPG said:

So who will be the Ramsay MacDonald de nos jours in 2017?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    More likely to be 1974. Unpopular Tory ousted by Labour party short on ideas.

EPG said:

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012

Good evening, everyone.

It's interesting how certain Roman chaps (Mark Anthony, Pompey) still have, effectively, Anglicised names (in common usage).

Ahem. Mark Antony. No h. Anthony is a Greek bastardisation on the mistaken etymology that it has something to do with the Greek ἄνθος, "flower".
  • Options
    Sorry, Mr. Lilburne. It's a bit on the recent side (that said, I'm aware that Marcellinus' history covers the 4th century, which is practically modern).

Those pesky Greeks.
  • Options
    I feel unpatriotic for link 7.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    I was in the Cambridge Union a few weeks ago for a Christmas party. The place was bedecked as Hogwarts, complete with 'floating' candles and owls delivering letters. Oh, and we were sorted into houses using a talking hat.

Russell Brand would definitely be a Slytherin. He has the look. In fact, he does look rather like the illegitimate love-child of Gregory Goyle and Hestia Carrow.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    First post off my iphone after downloading google.

The combined scores for the leaders is quite funny. Is it so surprising even an absurd party like UKIP is doing so well at the moment?
  • Options

Sorry, Mr. Lilburne. It's a bit on the recent side (that said, I'm aware that Marcellinus' history covers the 4th century, which is practically modern).

Those pesky Greeks.

One anglicisation of a Roman name that has gone out of favour is that of Marcus Tullius Cicero, who was known to our ancestors, rather cutely, as Tully. But maybe it is too cute a name for someone who, as consul, was a bit of a bastard when it came to putting down the Catiline conspiracy (and was himself proscribed and murdered by the Second Triumvirate)

• Options

What does she see in him? The first mistress and the mother of his kids are fairly easy on the eye too. He may be completely useless at running a country but he has some talents.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I knew Tully rang a bell (it's a House in A Song of Ice and Fire).

Alas, the end of the republic found a great many chaps who were a bit of a bastard. Not a Camillus in sight.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What does she see in him? The first mistress and the mother of his kids are fairly easy on the eye too. He may be completely useless at running a country but he has some talents.
    So Julie Gayet, what first attracted to you to the President of France?
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's a legitimate question. His polling makes Ed's look good.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Mr. Lilburne, I knew Tully rang a bell (it's a House in A Song of Ice and Fire).

Alas, the end of the republic found a great many chaps who were a bit of a bastard. Not a Camillus in sight.

Not to mention completely off their trollies, like the aforementioned Marcus Antonius. The fact that he named his children Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene is an example of how far he had wandered off the path of Roman republican righteousness.

• Options

DavidL said:

I would guess money and/or power, although he might just have a big one.

• Options
    DavidL/JohnLilburne

It could always be down to charm, charisma and a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I was unaware of his children's names. He was rather besotted, if memory serves.

I do admire the pathological patriotism of the earlier republican Romans. One wonders what a modern country with that kind of brutal selflessness could achieve. It's just one of many reasons I like reading about the Second Punic War so much. The Romans were crazy to continue. I calculated once that Cannae was the equivalent of a battle outside London killing 200 MPs or so and the PM or monarch (one consul died). One battle, after being butchered at Trasimene and losing at Trebia and Ticinus.

I think we can learn a huge amount from that period, not least the difference between the state as an instrument of civilising influence, and as an overmighty and intrusive force. The divergence between the Rome of the Second Punic War and the one infested with delators (informers) for Tiberius and Sejanus was stark.

Bit rambly. Sorry.
  • Options

DavidL/JohnLilburne

I know, I'm a cynic. I shouldn't be as I recently had a relationship with a woman 29 years my junior, and it certainly wasn't due to money or power.

• Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 52s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead falls to three points: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, you silver fox, you!
  • Options

DavidL/JohnLilburne

I know, I'm a cynic. I shouldn't be as I recently had a relationship with a woman 29 years my junior, and it certainly wasn't due to money or power.

As someone who is no oil painting, but convinced far too many beautiful women to date me, it's my charm and sense of humour that always works.

And my sense of humour that has occasionally got me dumped.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    His economic policies are pretty funny. Unless you are French obviously
  • Options
    He does give hope to ageing, balding, podgy, politically obsessed men everywhere, if not to the people of France!

DavidL/JohnLilburne

• Options
    DavidL said:

His economic policies are pretty funny. Unless you are French on obviously.

His economic policies are great.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago, that more and French people are coming over here to avoid his tax policies.

This invasion could have the same effect upon as the Norman Invasion.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off for the night. Hmm. Maybe in the future I should see about reading up more on the decline of the republic.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 52s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead falls to three points: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%

How long before the first drone appears to claim the PB Tories are getting over excited?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Those pesky Greeks.

One anglicisation of a Roman name that has gone out of favour is that of Marcus Tullius Cicero, who was known to our ancestors, rather cutely, as Tully. But maybe it is too cute a name for someone who, as consul, was a bit of a bastard when it came to putting down the Catiline conspiracy (and was himself proscribed and murdered by the Second Triumvirate)

There was a journalist called Mark Tully, presumably named by a fervent classicist.

• Options

DavidL/JohnLilburne

As someone who is no oil painting, but convinced far too many beautiful women to date me, it's my charm and sense of humour that always works.

And my sense of humour that has occasionally got me dumped.
    Alas, I have never been very good at the chatting up or dating game. It's always been a bit hit or miss for me, mostly miss.

Back to politics... I see the UKIP lead over the LDs is back up to 4%, today's poll had it down to 1% but recently the difference has been growing in YouGov polls. and it certainly looks like the Labour 9% lead in the Sunday Times was an outlier.

• Options

Much as I enjoy the series, I thought it rather sad that last year, 146 Americans named their daughter Khaleesi.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited January 2014
    Lab poll leads:

Last week:
    YouGov (average of 5 polls) - 6.8%
    Populus - 7%

This week:
    YouGov (average of 2 polls) - 4%
    Populus - 5%
    ICM - 3%

OK, it's only a few polls and there is always some random variation. But even so, it has to be at least somewhat encouraging for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 42s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Immigration now just 1 point behind the economy as the most important issue facing the country - 60% v 61%...

.only a matter of time before immigration comes top as the economy improves. MPs from all parties take note.
  • Options
    Blinking hell, Miliband on Friday will call for a cap on the size of banks.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Why does Cammo keep declaiming inanities?"

Because nobody, nobody, would want to hear what he really thinks or believes. So he has two choices talk in platitudes A level rubbish or stay silent. Unwisely in my view, he chooses the former. After all if he stopped gobbing off people could at least pretend to themselves he was a man of morals, courage and wisdom rather than having the fact that he is an amoral, vacuous PR spiv shoved down their throats.
  • Options
    Ok this made me laugh

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 59s

When the Tories get a poll lead the Labour Party will resemble that 'Airplane' scene when Julie Haggerty asks if there's a pilot on board...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    DavidL said:

His economic policies are pretty funny. Unless you are French obviously

Not his fault necessarily, but French labour laws are somewhat interesting as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/business/international/french-workers-hold-goodyear-managers-over-jobs.html?pagewanted=1&src=recg&_r=0
    http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/news/world-news/142856-goodyear-managers-freed-at-french-plant

I mean, haven't we all felt like kidnapping our bosses at one time or other?
  • Options

Anyway, I'm off for the night. Hmm. Maybe in the future I should see about reading up more on the decline of the republic.

Rubicon, by Tom Holland, is very good.
  • Options

Well that's that then. Miliband has wiped out the City of London.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 2m

Ed's new big play? RT @maitlis: We understand cap on market share will be proposed around 25 percent - ed mil to say on Friday #newsnight
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I dont think a bit of competition between banks will wipe out the City of London.
  • Options

Ed's new big play? RT @maitlis: We understand cap on market share will be proposed around 25 percent - ed mil to say on Friday #newsnight

And what will happen if a bank goes overt the 25%? The government will seize their assets? This is madness!
  • Options

And what will happen if a bank goes overt the 25%? The government will seize their assets? This is madness!
    Don't worry, Labour and Ed Balls in particular have a great record in designing a system that regulates the banking sector brilliantly.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Been away.. Just watching BBC and ITV on Hollande.. Oh dear bit of a car crash.. and to think ED nailed his colours to Hollande's mast.

Chortles..
  • Options
    So Gordon saved HBOS by merging it with a reluctant Lloyds, with the promise that it could retain market share.

Now Ed wants to downsize Lloyds HBOS.

Who can say that Ed has not broken with the past?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Neil said:

I dont think a bit of competition between banks will wipe out the City of London.
    Yeah: lots of second and third tier banks (like the Co-op, the Britannia, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock) will do wonders for us all. Still, at least there won't be lots of bankers' bonuses for him to tax. Who else is going to pay up? Oh yes: all of us.

There is a damn good report on Banking Standards by Tyrie's Parliamentary Commission. Why doesn't he read and understand that if he wants to do something sensible.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited January 2014
    Sean_F said:

Those pesky Greeks.

There was a journalist called Mark Tully, presumably named by a fervent classicist.

I tutored Mark Tully's granddaughters and met him a few times. One of very few people to get a KBE and the Padma Bhushan. I found his view on Amritsar interesting http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2014/01/14/309--I-doubt-Thatcher-played-a-role-in-Operation-Bluestar-Mark-Tully.html

Edit: and an Old Marlburian too!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Did we learn nothing at all from TBTF then? Or should we all bend over and prepare to be shafted again like good little plebs?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I don't think anyone posted an answer to my political cryptic clue earlier so I'll try again..

Yes man is Scottish nut (7)
  • Options
    TBTF?

Is that Tony Blair, Total Fail?

If so, we have learnt.

Did we learn nothing at all from TBTF then? Or should we all bend over and prepare to be shafted again like good little plebs?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Yeah: lots of second and third tier banks (like the Co-op, the Britannia, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock) will do wonders for us all. Still, at least there won't be lots of bankers' bonuses for him to tax. Who else is going to pay up? Oh yes: all of us.

There is a damn good report on Banking Standards by Tyrie's Parliamentary Commission. Why doesn't he read and understand that if he wants to do something sensible.

There have been plenty of reports bemoaning overconcentration in the banking industry and barriers to entry. Competition authorities all agree that competition is not working well for consumers. If Miliband wants to take that on then I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to hear what he has to say.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Foxinsox Although if Hollande was not president of France, his actress wife may not have found him quite as attractive!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Simple, good banks will be forbidden from expanding and will be forced to sell branches and transfer customers to bad banks.

25% market share is clearly the most any bank should have, it's not at all a number plucked out of the air without any reasonable justification.
  • Options

TBTF?

Is that Tony Blair, Total Fail?

If so, we have learnt.

Too Big To Fail. As you well know. The moment that Capitalism was exposed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    glw said:

25% market share is clearly the most any bank should have, it's not at all a number plucked out of the air without any reasonable justification.

25% of which market?

Fag packet policy. Again.
  • Options

Quite a lot of small banks got into trouble and needed bailing out, and quite a few big banks didn't. The size is not really the issue, it is how they are run and who is in charge that matters, as Labour's pals at the Co-op have demonstrated.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

Didnt you say as much about the energy price freeze? That didnt turn out so badly for him.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

25% of which market?

Are we on this Farage bet or not???!!!
  • Options
    Nah. Its impossible to write on fag packets nowadays.

To get such a policy you need to use the random policy generator.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-07-13/
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

25% of which market?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    glw said:

Quite a lot of small banks got into trouble and needed bailing out, and quite a few big banks didn't. The size is not really the issue, it is how they are run and who is in charge that matters, as Labour's pals at the Co-op have demonstrated.
    Yes, HSBC didn't fail. Lloyd's wouldn't have "failed" of they hadn't been asked to buy HBOS. Barclay's never took government money.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I would guess money and/or power, although he might just have a big one.

Maybe he wears a Chelsea strip.

• Options
    Neil said:

Didnt you say as much about the energy price freeze? That didnt turn out so badly for him.

Yup, propelled him all the way to a 3% lead in the polls. Awesome.

Labour majority nailed on...
  • Options
    Neil said:

That's politics, being right is another matter.

• Options
    isam said:

Have you worked out the terms yet?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited January 2014
    BBC News right now has a discussion going through the newspapers. Both guests having a go at Osborne's call for EU reform as "pandering to the Right", and then agreeing that leaving the EU would be a "catastrophe". Host nods along.

Given that the British public is roughly evenly divided between eurosceptics and europhiles, has there ever, in the entire history of the BBC, been a segment where both guests agreed it was a mistake to stay in the EU, let alone a "catastrophe"?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    glw said:

Simple, good banks will be forbidden from expanding and will be forced to sell branches and transfer customers to bad banks.

Would you mind awfully, if my account isn't one of those transferred to a bad bank.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Yes, HSBC didn't fail. Lloyd's wouldn't have "failed" of they hadn't been asked to buy HBOS. Barclay's never took government money.
    It's hardly the point is it? If RBS had been allowed to go under, the rest would have followed like a pack of cards. Let's not pretend that all banks weren't ultimately propped up by the taxpayer.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Neil said:

Yup, propelled him all the way to a 3% lead in the polls. Awesome.

Labour majority nailed on...
    There have been a lot of drivers for changes to polling since conference season. What we can say about that policy announcement (which was absolutely ridiculed here before responses in the real world started to intrude) was that (a) it set the agenda for weeks / months (b) it left the Tories struggling for a reponse and (c) it was very popular. These are maybe things we might want to bear in mind before ridiculing his latest reported announcement (before we even know what any of the details are).
  • Options
    @Monksfield

And, of course, the emergency liquidity provided by the Bank of England...
  • Options
    glw said:

Neil said:

This is a politics website...
  • Options
    Neil said:

There have been a lot of drivers for changes to polling since conference season. What we can say about that policy announcement (which was absolutely ridiculed here before responses in the real world started to intrude) was that (a) it set the agenda for weeks / months (b) it left the Tories struggling for a reponse and (c) it was very popular. These are maybe things we might want to bear in mind before ridiculing his latest reported announcement (before we even know what any of the details are).

What we can say is that it has fundamentally had no effect whatsoever on Ed's chances of becoming PM.

The people who ridiculed it were right.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Would you mind awfully, if my account isn't one of those transferred to a bad bank.

Red Ed knows what's best for you, you'll bank with the Co-op and like it, or else.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

Have you worked out the terms yet?
    They were never ambiguous!

Farage to appear on at least one of the leader debates I want £100 at 9/4.. I'm not a snide, I don't want paying out if he is in the audience or in the pub via video link etc

This doesn't have to be so difficult, you can say no if you like
  • Options
    You will have to ask nicely. It is policy to transfer accounts whether you like it or not.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jun/15/lloyds-dumps-customers-tsb

One of my uncles has been forced to transfer his account, and cannot transfer it back.

Welcome to the wonderful world of banking competition.
    saddened said:

glw said:

• Options
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

Really? Has he implemented it yet then?

Every stupid fad he runs with blows up in his face:

too far too fast? That went well

Cost of living crisis? Inflation 2% and average wage rises on the up

The man is an opportunist, but all the bandwagons he jumps on have already passed by.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@Monksfield

Although I think it's unfair to tar HSBC with that brush
  • Options
    Neil said:

glw said:

Neil said:

This is a politics website...
    Except the boost he got for his energy prices move has dissipated in the polls now/within 3 months of his policy announcement,

No doubt Labour supporters will hail this as a great strategic move like Caesar crossing the Rubicon meets Eisenhower launching Operation Overlord.

Just like they did with the energy prices cap
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

It's hardly the point is it? If RBS had been allowed to go under, the rest would have followed like a pack of cards. Let's not pretend that all banks weren't ultimately propped up by the taxpayer.

I think you mean "the depositors of the bank were ultimately propped up by the taxpayer"

• Options
    glw said:

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the government decides which customers to move to the failing banks when their good bank breaks through the threshold. Names out of a hat perhaps. Also, what happens if your new bank account isn't so advantageous to your finances? Will Ed be doing an Obama-esque 'If you like your account you can keep your account' proclamation?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    RCS 1000 But RBS was at one stage the biggest bank in the world and failed, Lehmans failed and had a branch in London and of course Barclays got bailed out by some Middle East investors. It was still Lloyds' decision to but HBOS, and HBOS was a big bank too. Of the big banks only really HSBC of the British banks got through without really needing a bail out (and of course both it and Standard Chartered got accused of some dodgy practises later on). A few smaller banks or building societies also were largely unhit, most notably Nationwide.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Neil said:

What we can say is that it has fundamentally had no effect whatsoever on Ed's chances of becoming PM.

The people who ridiculed it were right.
    You have no idea what polls would look like if he hadnt announced a very popular, agenda-setting policy in his conference speech. Indeed I distinctly remember increased murmurings about his leadership last summer that his speech helped put to bed. I think it had a discernible positive impact on his chances of becoming PM.
  • Options

The man is an opportunist, but all the bandwagons he jumps on have already passed by.

He appears to be intent on proving that Gordon Brown wasn't that bad. God help us all.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

I don't think anyone posted an answer to my political cryptic clue earlier so I'll try again..

Yes man is Scottish nut (7)

Salmond :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RCS 1000 But RBS was at one stage the biggest bank in the world and failed, Lehmans failed and had a branch in London and of course Barclays got bailed out by some Middle East investors. It was still Lloyds' decision to but HBOS, and HBOS was a big bank too. Of the big banks only really HSBC of the British banks that got through without really needing a bail out (and of course both it and Standard Chartered got accused of some dodgy practises later on). A few smaller banks or building societies also were largely unhit, most notably Nationwide.

That's largely fair. I would point out that Barclay's did nevertheless survive without the British taxpayer spending a single pound.

• Options

Neil said:

Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

This may have passed you by but he is still Leader of the Opposition rater than PM. You're too impatient! Give it time.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited January 2014
    It kind of has turned out badly for Miliband, hence the way that this issue has evaporated now winter is upon us and its not turned out to be the lefty anticipated 2nd ice age. Despite last year's mild winter, I saw a big jump in my energy bill for both oil and electricity on the back of the two severe winters previously. But just before Christmas this year I got a vert nice and unexpected rebate from the electricity company, and I think this is the longest I have gone over the winter without having to top up the oil tank due to the fact that I have often not even bothered or needed to put the heating on during the day over the holidays or at weekends. And I doubt I am alone in noticing that my energy bills are in fact lower than I had planned for or expected them to be this year.
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

• Options

You will have to ask nicely. It is policy to transfer accounts whether you like it or not.

One of my uncles has been forced to transfer his account, and cannot transfer it back.

saddened said:

glw said:

Although you can always close down tour account and start a new one. This may not be possible, of course, if you are a creditor of the bank

• Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

This may have passed you by but he is still Leader of the Opposition rater than PM. You're too impatient! Give it time.
    Explain to me how it will work then.
  • Options
    Apparently he has to tranfer away from Lloyds to do so, despite having banked with Lloyds for decades.
    rcs1000 said:

saddened said:

glw said:

Although you can always close down tour account and start a new one. This may not be possible, of course, if you are a creditor of the bank

• Options

Apparently he has to tranfer away from Lloyds to do so, despite having banked with Lloyds for decades.

Entirely reasonable, and a sensible way for banking to be run. Not at all bonkers and a waste of time and money.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the government decides which customers to move to the failing banks when their good bank breaks through the threshold. Names out of a hat perhaps.

I wonder what other areas Ed will impose caps on?

Will Ford have a quota of cars to sell? Will Tesco's be forced to close their doors after serving a certain number of customers? Will TVs automatically tune to another channel if too many people are watching a certain programme? Will Liverpool have to transfer fans to Everton? Will the Conservative Party have a voter limit imposed upon it?

• Options
    @rcs1000

No, it wasn't the depositors that were propped up. That would be the government paying out on the deposit guarantee. The money went straight to the banks themselves.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

@Monksfield

Although I think it's unfair to tar HSBC with that brush
    Yes, HSBC was doing just fine with the funds coming in from money laundering for rogue states and drug cartels.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil: if Milliband is really interested in a competitive banking sector he would pay attention to what the Competition authorities have to say on the matter. It was Labour who allowed Lloyds to take on HBOS without the competition authorities being involved which resulted in the catastrophic destruction of Lloyds. As a result of that and the measures then taken to sort out the mess created, account holders and shareholders in Lloyds have lost out.

I'm an account holder in RBS and did not want to be moved against my will to Santander and nor do I want anything like that to happen in future just because of some arbitrary government decision.

There is much to be done to create a viable financial services industry but I absolutely do not trust Labour to do it, given the heavy responsibility they bear for the banking culture which was allowed to flourish for 13 years under them and the largely useless regulatory system they put in place. Labour were too in love with bankers' bonuses as a source of revenue for them to do anything effective either to protect consumers or encourage a worthwhile financial sector.

No reason to believe they have understood any of the lessons. Or that they won't make the same or equally stupid mistakes again.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There is much to be done to create a viable financial services industry but I absolutely do not trust Labour to do it

I suspect he's going to pitch this more to the proportion of the population that is prepared to consider voting for him.
  • Options
    RCS1000 True, on that basis only Barclays and HSBC did not take government bailout money of the larger banks
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

25% of which market?

There used to be a right to refer any company to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission if it held more than a 25% share of a defined industry, even if there was no prima facie evidence of the referred company abusing its 'monopoly' position in the marketplace.

The problem with banks is that they aren't, for good reason, like other competitive industries operating in a free market. If Woolworths stops selling product that people are willing to buy it goes out of business. A few commentators get nostalgic but the general public doesn't suffer. Bankruptcy or liquidation is regarded as a sign of a functioning market.

If a bank fails then the entire life savings of voters are put at risk; corporate customers stop functioning; and the markets and population panic leading to a crash in property and other asset prices.

The need to protect banks from failure means that risk management and adequate capitalisation is far more important than enforcing a highly competitive market. This has led to banking sectors becoming highly concentrated in all global markets. US banks, once restricted in function and territory, can now open branches across states and carry out a full range of banking functions. Throughout Europe, the distinction between Savings Banks, Co-operative Banks and Commercial Banks have become eroded as banks from different sectors merge and restructure.

The first priority for the UK is to stabilise our banking sector through adequate capitalisation, balance sheet restructuring where necessary, better prudential and conduct supervision, improved risk management and funding support which allows lending to industry. Much work has been done in these priority tasks but we still don't have a fully functioning industry of privately owned banks. At least another two years is needed to return the banking sector to full health.

Simply slicing up the Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Groups on the grounds that they hold too high a share of say, the domestic mortgage market, will not result in any improvement of services to UK customers or even increase the volume or lower the cost of credit supplied to industry.

All Miliband's proposal will do is frighten investors and knock billions off the share prices of the large groups, frustrating the timing of the sale of government shares and lowering taxpayer value.

It is a highly irresponsible and ignorant proposal which will be dressed up under a false cloak of populist consumerism. Miliband is a truly dangerous politician.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Re: IPSOS leader ratings.
    Is Mr Farage still the most popular?

The Mail have an article covering 2013, and he's doing better than the -13 attributed to Mr Cameron in the IPSOS link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525968/Have-voters-fallen-love-Nigel-Farage-Collapse-ratings-UKIP-leader-seen-style-substance.html
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited January 2014
    glw said:

He appears to be intent on proving that Gordon Brown wasn't that bad. God help us all.
    This is true; if he becomes PM, Ed Miliband's political epitaph will be: 'Even worse than Gordon Brown'. He's François Hollande without the sex appeal.

Presumably this explains why the Brownites supported his leadership bid; certainly there seems no other possible explanation.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

There is much to be done to create a viable financial services industry but I absolutely do not trust Labour to do it

I suspect he's going to pitch this more to the proportion of the population that is prepared to consider voting for him.
    I have spent my career dealing with wrongdoing in the City and know a lot about this particular subject. Milliband may think - probably rightly - that he can win without the votes of those with some knowledge of such matters but to govern well he needs to listen to people who know what they are talking about and who are well disposed to the idea of creating a viable and honest and trustworthy financial sector.

Otherwise he will be in office but not in power and he will achieve nothing or make things worse for those who do vote for him - not to mention everyone else.

There is a difference between striking attitudes and achieving real worthwhile change. Does Milliband understand that? All he's done so far is the former. Any fool can do that.

This discussion has been closed.