Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For those betting on a Labour poll lead in 2021 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

I think if Labour proposed a wealth tax that specifically covered social care and was ringfenced perhaps that would be a good move. I agree that "just tax everyone more" as a means to pay for everything is where Labour has previously gone wrong.

They need to cut down the offer significantly.

Much derided these days, but Blair's short list of things they would do in first term back in 1997 seems relevant here.
    I was going to allude to exactly this.

They need a package of I don't know, four or five things they will do and leave it at that.

Science and technology seem key, so I would do something involving FTTP if it were me but I admit that probably isn't very easy to sell
    Certainly someone needs to start thinking big, bold and out of the box. Four or five blockbuster retail politics winners (but costed).

Not convinced Starmer is that someone. He seems a very cautious type to me.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

I was scheduled in be in the twin towers same day the following week at same time the first plane hit ....i was in North America at the time and got stuck there for 3 weeks as i was flying back out of NY and it was total chaos.

I remember later that week buying Time magazine, has an iconic front cover, as I was stuck in a hotel, trying to work out what to do.

A friend from university was at the twin towers the Friday before and was due to fly back to the UK on 9/11.

It was an expensive few days for him, trying to find somewhere to stay. Even found a hotel where they charged by the hour.
    My 9/11 is very low key, but may also be very unusual.

I was on a remote French campsite in the Albi area and did not see the news for another three days. I must be one of very, very few western people who did not watch live or almost live TV footage that day.

Me and the soon to be Mrs, had no idea. None. Completely unaware. The campsite was, as is the way in rural France in September, empty.

The first we heard about any of it was three days later when we moved from the campsite to a B&B as we got ready for the long drive home. The place was owned by two Brits and as we piled through the front door they said, 'what about new york? terrible, terrible news.' etc etc.

Not days, but I didn't find out for about seven hours after it happened.

I was working at the time in McDonalds, and nobody discussed it at all when it happened remarkably so I simply never found out. At lunchtime the TV in the break room was off, I considered putting it on but thought there's never anything on TV in the daytime so decided against it. At the end of my shift took the bus home, stopped at a supermarket and browsed the electronics section - all the TVs were on a DVD none of them on live TV.

Only when I got home did I eventually find out. Got home and my brother said had I heard the Twin Towers were destroyed, and I thought he meant Wembley stadium until I saw the news.

PS one thing I do remember is that there was a story in The Times I'd read on the bus in the way in that morning about the Taliban and the destruction of ancient cultural artefacts that had just occurred at the time.
    Bloody hell. That's quite a remarkable piece of avoidance. I wonder if they switched to DVD on purpose? Must have.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited September 2021

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    52s
    SUNDAY EXPRESS: Tory MPs fear voter revolt #TomorrowsPapersToday

The polling so far has been supportive , indeed quite surprisingly but I do maintain it depends how it is sold

A 1% NI increase while retaining the triple lock would be unacceptable as would keeping the exemption for working pensioners from the charge

I have consistently opposed the triple lock for months and I would benefit from it

A wealth tax is always labour's go to cure but any wealth tax would need to be well thought through

Interesting times
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    4m
    SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: Tories at war over ‘idiotic’ tax increase #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    I think some of you are being a bit naive.

If you're going to announce you're breaking your manifesto pledges, you better make it look like a last resort, which is what it does look like.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    rpjs said:

When the news of 9/11 broke, my girlfriend, now wife, called me at work in tears. Her best friend from college worked a block from the towers at the time. Wasn’t until hours later we found out that she was running late that morning and her subway got stopped well before ground zero. She did have to walk home across Brooklyn Bridge with thousands of others.

Today, or at least pre-pandemic, I work in the new 4WTC. It is sad to see so many people treating the memorial as just another tourist thing to tick off from their visit to NYC.

I did it when I went in 2014, but only because my friend wanted to. I found it a little mawkish, though it was interesting to get a sense of scale. They had the uniform of the seal that popped OBL on display, which made me think “only in America.”

What I found particularly distasteful was a group of Orthodox Jews who seemed to treat their visit as something of a pilgrimage.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    4m
    SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: Tories at war over ‘idiotic’ tax increase #TomorrowsPapersToday

The 1922 Monday meeting for Rishi will be interesting
  • Options

Maybe the polling is just tending back to the 2010s over time? 30 to 35s?

In the 2010s, Labour led the Conservatives for a majority of the decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#/media/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1434256473874382848

Down the Tory vote falls over time, I think we will see a tie in a poll very soon

Really not seeing where you are seeing this. I would not be surprised if Labour have already been as close as they are going to get this year.
  • Options

I think some of you are being a bit naive.

If you're going to announce you're breaking your manifesto pledges, you better make it look like a last resort, which is what it does look like.

And. If you are going to break one, you might as well break several at once. No point stringing it out.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

I think if Labour proposed a wealth tax that specifically covered social care and was ringfenced perhaps that would be a good move. I agree that "just tax everyone more" as a means to pay for everything is where Labour has previously gone wrong.

Much derided these days, but Blair's short list of things they would do in first term back in 1997 seems relevant here.

They need a package of I don't know, four or five things they will do and leave it at that.

Science and technology seem key, so I would do something involving FTTP if it were me but I admit that probably isn't very easy to sell
    Certainly someone needs to start thinking big, bold and out of the box. Four or five blockbuster retail politics winners (but costed).

Sadly I agree.

I think it was a few weeks ago the Guardian had an interview where Starmer said he was going to 'paint his vision in primary colours'.

So far however, it has felt more like watching paint dry.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Real Tories all coming out against the idiot NI rise. Boris has lost it, Rishi needs to push back and axe it completely now. Press the advantage.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I was scheduled in be in the twin towers same day the following week at same time the first plane hit ....i was in North America at the time and got stuck there for 3 weeks as i was flying back out of NY and it was total chaos.

I remember later that week buying Time magazine, has an iconic front cover, as I was stuck in a hotel, trying to work out what to do.

A friend from university was at the twin towers the Friday before and was due to fly back to the UK on 9/11.

It was an expensive few days for him, trying to find somewhere to stay. Even found a hotel where they charged by the hour.

I was on a remote French campsite in the Albi area and did not see the news for another three days. I must be one of very, very few western people who did not watch live or almost live TV footage that day.

Me and the soon to be Mrs, had no idea. None. Completely unaware. The campsite was, as is the way in rural France in September, empty.

The first we heard about any of it was three days later when we moved from the campsite to a B&B as we got ready for the long drive home. The place was owned by two Brits and as we piled through the front door they said, 'what about new york? terrible, terrible news.' etc etc.

I was working at the time in McDonalds, and nobody discussed it at all when it happened remarkably so I simply never found out. At lunchtime the TV in the break room was off, I considered putting it on but thought there's never anything on TV in the daytime so decided against it. At the end of my shift took the bus home, stopped at a supermarket and browsed the electronics section - all the TVs were on a DVD none of them on live TV.

Only when I got home did I eventually find out. Got home and my brother said had I heard the Twin Towers were destroyed, and I thought he meant Wembley stadium until I saw the news.

PS one thing I do remember is that there was a story in The Times I'd read on the bus in the way in that morning about the Taliban and the destruction of ancient cultural artefacts that had just occurred at the time.
    Bloody hell. That's quite a remarkable piece of avoidance. I wonder if they switched to DVD on purpose? Must have.
    They must have. Would have been very depressing to have that on multiple screens.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Though Blair's first term led to a collapse of turnout at the 2001 GE when it fell to levels not seen since 1918. There was a particularly sharp fall in the traditional Labour areas - and was the first sign of support disappearing in Red Wall seats.
    Indeed. Mentioned as item 1 in the Newstatesman article by Harry Lambert which has been discussed on here. The article failed to explain or investigate why though. Disappointment?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Real Tories all coming out against the idiot NI rise. Boris has lost it, Rishi needs to push back and axe it completely now. Press the advantage.

But presumably with some other proposal for raising the funding. Surely this cannot be kicked into the long grass yet again?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Low taxes and grow the economy. We should be set for an economic boom now which will transform the budget for the better anyway. Strangling that at birth with taxes is idiotic.

EDIT: Same answer applies to Benpointer just above.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But presumably with some other proposal for raising the funding. Surely this cannot be kicked into the long grass yet again?
    As long as it's not a tax on working people's income I don't care where it comes from.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As I understand it Rishi wanted a higher increase
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

No, Rishi wanted no tax rise, Boris and Sajid wanted 2% on employees and 2% on employers, he forced them down to 1% on each. If he pushes again now he can get rid of it completely.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If they are going to break a manifesto promise then the Treasury will press for a proper and decent sized break! :smile:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    I may be wrong but I think Rishi is driving this and I expect it to be part of a much wider change in taxes
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No, Rishi wanted no tax rise, Boris and Sajid wanted 2% on employees and 2% on employers, he forced them down to 1% on each. If he pushes again now he can get rid of it completely.
    Rishi is in the right. We need to pay down the debt, not leave it for future generations to pay off. Anti-tax zealotry is out of control on the backbenches.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Low taxes and grow the economy. We should be set for an economic boom now which will transform the budget for the better anyway. Strangling that at birth with taxes is idiotic.

I would just say polls indicate the public expect and accept taxes will rise not least to pay for covid

It will be interesting how this plays out
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    I may be wrong but I think Rishi is driving this and I expect it to be part of a much wider change in taxes
    The way the Times has it Rishi has been pushing back on it big time. It's Boris and Sajid that have been the main supporters. It feels like a leftover from the Hancock era that he should have binned rather than picked up.
  • Options
    But the public supported Labour's 2019 policies in isolation but they still lost in a landslide...
  • Options

Sadly I agree.

I think it was a few weeks ago the Guardian had an interview where Starmer said he was going to 'paint his vision in primary colours'.

So far however, it has felt more like watching paint dry.
    This redecoration must have passed me by because I have no idea what his vision is.

Last I heard he was touring the country listening to voters.

There's a hell of a lot riding on the leaders speech this year.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rpjs said:

When the news of 9/11 broke, my girlfriend, now wife, called me at work in tears. Her best friend from college worked a block from the towers at the time. Wasn’t until hours later we found out that she was running late that morning and her subway got stopped well before ground zero. She did have to walk home across Brooklyn Bridge with thousands of others.

Today, or at least pre-pandemic, I work in the new 4WTC. It is sad to see so many people treating the memorial as just another tourist thing to tick off from their visit to NYC.

I did it when I went in 2014, but only because my friend wanted to. I found it a little mawkish, though it was interesting to get a sense of scale. They had the uniform of the seal that popped OBL on display, which made me think “only in America.”

What I found particularly distasteful was a group of Orthodox Jews who seemed to treat their visit as something of a pilgrimage.
    I was there a year after it happened and it was still a shrine with so many pictures of the missing and dead on the wire fence. It was horrific.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Though Blair's first term led to a collapse of turnout at the 2001 GE when it fell to levels not seen since 1918. There was a particularly sharp fall in the traditional Labour areas - and was the first sign of support disappearing in Red Wall seats.
    Indeed. Mentioned as item 1 in the Newstatesman article by Harry Lambert which has been discussed on here. The article failed to explain or investigate why though. Disappointment?
    Partially. But I was newly back in UK after nearly a decade in Asia. I had heard Blair was popular, but I wasn't prepared for the widespread consensus. Even from the Murdoch press. I have never known a more low profile GE. An absolute foregone conclusion from the start. No surprise then the turnout fell in Labour areas.
    In fact, other than Prescott punching that bloke, and Hague saying he would save the (unthreatened) pound, I can't recall any of it.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Of course, there is only so much Labour can say in the next couple of years - besides anything else, if they try to develop a firm platform the Government will watch to see which ideas retail well and then steal them.

What you probably want nearer the election is a combination of selected practical solutions to pressing problems, allied to one or two proposals to address Labour's weaknesses with the electorate. Something like:

*A long-term funding fix for health and social care, paid for by tax hikes aimed at above-average earners and wealthier pensioners
    *A boost in funding for scientific research, perhaps allied to a Government-backed investment scheme for tech start-ups
    *Guarantee the 0.7% target for aid spending, but also introduce a 2.5% or 3% floor for defence spending alongside it
    *Ambitious targets for building renewable electricity generation capacity, with a timetable for the phasing out of gas fired power stations (going further and faster than has already been proposed by the Government)
    *A new plan for increasing the supply of housing, to stabilise prices and therefore improve affordability

The final suggestion is going to mean making it harder for Nimbies to keep blocking smaller scale residential developments, but it may also need fresh thinking on larger scale supply. To avoid sprawl everywhere, I'd be in favour of targeting three or four existing cities, down South where the pressure is most acute - say Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury and possibly Winchester - and making them all very much larger. Tens of thousands of new homes, with infrastructure like extra hospital and school capacity, zones for business development and public transport networks all planned and built alongside or in advance of the accommodation.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    The way the Times has it Rishi has been pushing back on it big time. It's Boris and Sajid that have been the main supporters. It feels like a leftover from the Hancock era that he should have binned rather than picked up.
    There do seem to be conflicting reports but no doubt more will be revealed from the 1922 meeting on Monday with Rishi

This is not the immediate story to be fair, the controversy on vaccines for 12 - 15 will dominate all the headlines next week

I expect the four chief scientific advisors will overrule the JCVI
  • Options
    Meanwhile, down where they still think the earth is only 6000 years old...

Ivermectin: Oklahoma doctor warns against using unproven Covid drug

BBC news
  • Options
    Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Rishi is in the right. We need to pay down the debt, not leave it for future generations to pay off. Anti-tax zealotry is out of control on the backbenches.
    Since when is this proposed tax rise going to pay down the debt?! It's tax and spend, the state is deciding to take a larger proportion of the economy leaving less for everyone else. The solution is and has always been to grow the bloody economy. The tax burden is already too high.
  • Options
    Watching the National Geographic. Plane just went into first tower. Incredible thing to see, even now.
  • Options

But the public supported Labour's 2019 policies in isolation but they still lost in a landslide...

Promising the electorate that they will spend 47 billion squillion quid of other people's money on goodies for them is always popular, but the whole package in the round has to appear credible, as do the people selling it.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Promising the electorate that they will spend 47 billion squillion quid of other people's money on goodies for them is always popular, but the whole package in the round has to appear credible, as do the people selling it.
    But that is the point I am making here, I think the policies individually poll well but I am not convinced the package the Tories are making is popular.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Since when is this proposed tax rise going to pay down the debt?! It's tax and spend, the state is deciding to take a larger proportion of the economy leaving less for everyone else. The solution is and has always been to grow the bloody economy. The tax burden is already too high.
    With the best will in the world tax rises are coming no matter who is HMG
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Of course, there is only so much Labour can say in the next couple of years - besides anything else, if they try to develop a firm platform the Government will watch to see which ideas retail well and then steal them.

What you probably want nearer the election is a combination of selected practical solutions to pressing problems, allied to one or two proposals to address Labour's weaknesses with the electorate. Something like:

*A long-term funding fix for health and social care, paid for by tax hikes aimed at above-average earners and wealthier pensioners
    *A boost in funding for scientific research, perhaps allied to a Government-backed investment scheme for tech start-ups
    *Guarantee the 0.7% target for aid spending, but also introduce a 2.5% or 3% floor for defence spending alongside it
    *Ambitious targets for building renewable electricity generation capacity, with a timetable for the phasing out of gas fired power stations (going further and faster than has already been proposed by the Government)
    *A new plan for increasing the supply of housing, to stabilise prices and therefore improve affordability

The final suggestion is going to mean making it harder for Nimbies to keep blocking smaller scale residential developments, but it may also need fresh thinking on larger scale supply. To avoid sprawl everywhere, I'd be in favour of targeting three or four existing cities, down South where the pressure is most acute - say Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury and possibly Winchester - and making them all very much larger. Tens of thousands of new homes, with infrastructure like extra hospital and school capacity, zones for business development and public transport networks all planned and built alongside or in advance of the accommodation.
    Not sure about the aid target. Highly laudable, but do you want it on a pledge card of five or six key deliverables? I don't think it pulls in enough swing voters and that is what is key here.

The house thing should be first. Maybe go massively bold and "A home for everyone". If that means councils building like it is 1950s then so be it.
  • Options
    You have to be a bit careful on polling a policy e.g. do you want free internet...super popular...by the way, you won't have any choice, it will be one single ISP and they will only guarantee speeds less than what you can get now.....not so popular....
  • Options

pigeon said:

But that is the point I am making here, I think the policies individually poll well but I am not convinced the package the Tories are making is popular.
    It will be popular enough if they spare pensioners from having to contribute anything. The moment they cross that line - such as by trying to adjust or repeal the triple lock - I think they're in trouble.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    DavidL said:

Watching the National Geographic. Plane just went into first tower. Incredible thing to see, even now.

Archive.org has an interactive, multi-channel timeline of TV coverage from 9/11 and the days after. The quiet shock as each of the presenters realised what was going on is brutal.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

I definitely agree with all of this but I would like to see FTTP nationwide as another one, that could be a good "levelling up" policy
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Strangely I cannot watch it, but then the effect Christchurch ground zero had on my son and our family I tend to protect myself
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,764

dixiedean said:

They must have. Would have been very depressing to have that on multiple screens.
    "Depressing?"

It was the biggest single news story since World War 2. Arguably, in its coverage, scale and viscerality, for TV purposes, it was - and remains - the biggest single news story EVER

I recall it distinctly, all-too-distinctly. I've told the story but I will tell it again

I was in my flat in Store Street Bloomsbury. For some reason I had the TV on news, around 1pm, as I went out for lunch. I came back with a sandwich and saw a plane hit one of the twin towers. I thought at first it was an advert for a disaster movie, but then they kept replaying it, and I realised: OMG this has just happened, a terrible, Wagnerian ACCIDENT

Of course by then I was glued. I kept watching. And then I saw - live on British TV - another plane hit the other tower. For about 30 seconds it did not compute. I thought they had somehow re-enacted a new angle on the first plane, even though it looked so different. Then I realised, fuck, they have hit both towers, this is an appalling terror attack (a thought which had already been dormant but growing)

I watched for 20 minutes, horrified but compelled. Then I realised, Shit, my flatmate, I must tell her. So I ran upstairs and she was in her room knitting and doing crosswords (she didn't do much) and I yelled Turn on the TV! -so she did and she watched it and took it in and nodded, awkwardly, and.... then she turned the TV off and went back to her knitting.

She just did not want to know. Total denial. She could not cope. One of the most impressive displays of ostrich-head-in-sand I have ever seen. She is a bit of an idiot, bless her

For the rest of the day I watched all the coverage, then I went out for food and every TV in every bar and cafe and TV shop was showing endless Twin Tower news, and in the end I could not do it alone so I rang a friend and he agreed he was equally scared and we went to a pub and just silently watched it on the Pub TV, getting slowly drunk, along with many others who clearly felt the same. I had to be with people

An awful, awful day
  • Options
    Tax and spend was the consensus amongst both Parties campaigns last time.
    Unfortunately, the PM got away with talking only about the spending bit.
    While Labour burbled on about the tax bit.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Strangely I cannot watch it, but then the effect Christchurch ground zero had on my son and our family I tend to protect myself
    I can sympathise with that Big_G.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    I can't remember the name of the documentary but there is one where it is literally 90-120 mins of that morning in real time via spliced together media / public footage. I found it incredibly hard hitting.

Is it called something like 108 mins?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    pigeon said:

It is difficult to outflank Johnson on the left when it comes to spending promises. He is vulnerable from the right though. Sooner or later financial rectitude will come back to fashion.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Alistair said:

CatMan said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I see NFT land has gone even more insane now, people are paying $1000s for short sequences of random words and numbers....

When the merry go round stops, there are going to be some people out of pocket massively....

It's Tulip Mania all over again.
    Absolutely.....so just like the gold rush, people selling the shovels made the money....i went and bought a load of the tokens they need for this silly game...
    There are quite a lot of people who understand the technology behind NFTs who are going to make a killing out of this. There was a case on the news last week a think about a young boy who, aided with a bit of knowhow from his computer programmer Dad, had made something like £300,000 selling pictures of cartoon whales.

All the "investors" who are still holding these strings of code when the music finally stops may not do quite so well out of it.
    Yep, here's the article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58343062

I wish I had the knowledge and confidence to get into it. Oh well.
    You absolutely don't want to go anywhere near it. Its a game of high risk gambling mixed with market manipulation where those in the club hype particular NFTs to pump them, just like so many crypto currencies have been used to scam the sheeple.

Many of those gambling crazy money only paid cents original for their tokens, so even though its $1000s and $1000s in todays money, they own millions worth of them, and 10 Eth only cost them $1 back in the day (and now worth $40k).
    Yes the thing that is often missed is that the NFT creators have to pay hundreds of dollars to get their NFTs listed for sale and then again to cash out their token "gains"

If i wanted to make money I would create an nft token. Create an nft demoninated in that token. Wash trade it at an absurd value then collect the commission from the suckers, sorry i mean artists, who list their nfts using my token.
    What are you doing for the next six months, @Alistair ?
  • Options

I can't remember the name of the documentary but there is one where it is literally 90-120 mins of that morning in real time via spliced together media / public footage. I found it incredibly hard hitting.

Is it called something like 108 mins?

102 minutes. Channel Four used to run it almost every year.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

rpjs said:

I was there a year after it happened and it was still a shrine with so many pictures of the missing and dead on the wire fence. It was horrific.
    I was there by myself by coincidence on the fifth anniversary and it was still a shrine (though that may have been related to the anniversary). It was both horrific and moving.

That evening towers of light shone into the night sky which could be seen all over the city, again very moving. Spent the night in a quiet bar that I was the only tourist in at the time and memories of the day was pretty much the only thing anyone was talking about.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

CatMan said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I see NFT land has gone even more insane now, people are paying $1000s for short sequences of random words and numbers....

When the merry go round stops, there are going to be some people out of pocket massively....

Absolutely.....so just like the gold rush, people selling the shovels made the money....i went and bought a load of the tokens they need for this silly game...
    There are quite a lot of people who understand the technology behind NFTs who are going to make a killing out of this. There was a case on the news last week a think about a young boy who, aided with a bit of knowhow from his computer programmer Dad, had made something like £300,000 selling pictures of cartoon whales.

All the "investors" who are still holding these strings of code when the music finally stops may not do quite so well out of it.

You absolutely don't want to go anywhere near it. Its a game of high risk gambling mixed with market manipulation where those in the club hype particular NFTs to pump them, just like so many crypto currencies have been used to scam the sheeple.

Many of those gambling crazy money only paid cents original for their tokens, so even though its $1000s and $1000s in todays money, they own millions worth of them, and 10 Eth only cost them $1 back in the day (and now worth $40k).
    Yes the thing that is often missed is that the NFT creators have to pay hundreds of dollars to get their NFTs listed for sale and then again to cash out their token "gains"

If i wanted to make money I would create an nft token. Create an nft demoninated in that token. Wash trade it at an absurd value then collect the commission from the suckers, sorry i mean artists, who list their nfts using my token.
    Somebody has already done it....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

This specific tax is to fund social care. Tax the people who use it. Pensioners can afford the tax, working people can't. Raising £20bn from over 65s would be easy and it's not as though they can easily leave the country to a lower tax jurisdiction. Again, 16% of pensioners are in the higher tax bracket. They pay at least £3000 less in tax than someone who works and they receive at least £9k in benefits. That 16% can cover the whole £20bn and more. It's time to make taxes fair.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

It was the biggest single news story since World War 2. Arguably, in its coverage, scale and viscerality, for TV purposes, it was - and remains - the biggest single news story EVER

I recall it distinctly, all-too-distinctly. I've told the story but I will tell it again

I was in my flat in Store Street Bloomsbury. For some reason I had the TV on news, around 1pm, as I went out for lunch. I came back with a sandwich and saw a plane hit one of the twin towers. I thought at first it was an advert for a disaster movie, but then they kept replaying it, and I realised: OMG this has just happened, a terrible, Wagnerian ACCIDENT

Of course by then I was glued. I kept watching. And then I saw - live on British TV - another plane hit the other tower. For about 30 seconds it did not compute. I thought they had somehow re-enacted a new angle on the first plane, even though it looked so different. Then I realised, fuck, they have hit both towers, this is an appalling terror attack (a thought which had already been dormant but growing)

I watched for 20 minutes, horrified but compelled. Then I realised, Shit, my flatmate, I must tell her. So I ran upstairs and she was in her room knitting and doing crosswords (she didn't do much) and I yelled Turn on the TV! -so she did and she watched it and took it in and nodded, awkwardly, and.... then she turned the TV off and went back to her knitting.

She just did not want to know. Total denial. She could not cope. One of the most impressive displays of ostrich-head-in-sand I have ever seen. She is a bit of an idiot, bless her

For the rest of the day I watched all the coverage, then I went out for food and every TV in every bar and cafe and TV shop was showing endless Twin Tower news, and in the end I could not do it alone so I rang a friend and he agreed he was equally scared and we went to a pub and just silently watched it on the Pub TV, getting slowly drunk, along with many others who clearly felt the same. I had to be with people

An awful, awful day
    Agree with the not wanting to be alone bit. I was living in a Coronation Street type terrace in Bolton. Cobbles and all. So we knew the neighbours well. But EVERYONE, young and old, white, black and Asian, spent the evening on the street. Milling about. Talking it through. Processing.
    We all knew it wouldn’t be the same again.
    Peculiarly, though, I reckon we were wrong.
  • Options
    I wonder how much Michel Buffer gets paid every time he asks "are you ready to rumble" in the boxing?
  • Options

pigeon said:

Not sure about the aid target. Highly laudable, but do you want it on a pledge card of five or six key deliverables? I don't think it pulls in enough swing voters and that is what is key here.

The house thing should be first. Maybe go massively bold and "A home for everyone". If that means councils building like it is 1950s then so be it.
    That's why I suggested tying aid hypothecation to increased guaranteed funding for defence. It can be presented as two facets of the same plan. We make ourselves safer at home both by improving conditions for people abroad and by creating a more robust shield. Aid is red meat for the metropolitan base; defence demonstrates that Labour's interested in and approves of national strength, and isn't all about patting refugees on the head and harping on about colonial guilt.

The regulations governing mass housebuilding are going to need to be carefully considered and put in place by a competent secretary of state or else we'll end up in even worse trouble than we are already. The construction of horrible little shoebox flats and rabbit hutch houses, without any associated infrastructure being put in place and sometimes shoddily constructed to boot, needs to stop.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

This specific tax is to fund social care. Tax the people who use it. Pensioners can afford the tax, working people can't. Raising £20bn from over 65s would be easy and it's not as though they can easily leave the country to a lower tax jurisdiction. Again, 16% of pensioners are in the higher tax bracket. They pay at least £3000 less in tax than someone who works and they receive at least £9k in benefits. That 16% can cover the whole £20bn and more. It's time to make taxes fair.
    Far easier is to just fuck the young, again.

It's about time we abolish the state pension to pay for social care. If you're 60+ and haven't saved enough to retire then it's no one's fault but your own, especially in today's pension opt-out world.

At least with Corbyn I'd have got a few more bank holidays.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day
    Agree with the not wanting to be alone bit. I was living in a Coronation Street type terrace in Bolton. Cobbles and all. So we knew the neighbours well. But EVERYONE, young and old, white, black and Asian, spent the evening on the street. Milling about. Talking it through. Processing.
    I was 14 at the time, so things can seem bigger than they are at such an age, but I remember feeling genuinely scared by my uncle’s view that “this was just the beginning.” There were all those scares about anthrax and dirty bombs. But I think you’re right, as visually dramatic as it was, it wasn’t such a big deal.

Funnily enough, I was also genuinely spooked by the SARS outbreak. But then as I got older, I started to think these things get overhyped. And then COVID came along.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

"Low taxes and grow the economy" sounds great but how exactly do you think low taxes (and presumably the consequent public spending cuts) will grow the economy?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trouble is that wealthy retired people are the core demographic for Johnson's Conservatives (and to be fair, they always have been in modern times). And less wealthy but comfortable retired homeowners in the north are the next ones on Johnson's list. That's where his majority is from.

Anyone else in the great Conservative tradition is like the wife who has been dumped for a fruiter model.

Except there's no alimony this time.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

To me this seems like a real opportunity for Labour to propose a different funding strategy and having that as one of their four or five policies - and then running with it. Tick tock Keir
    It may be that neither party dares to soak pensioners, but given how heavily reliant the Tories are on the grey vote it's most likely to be Labour that will cross the Rubicon if either of them is going to.

We already know from the Dementia Tax debacle the extent and volume of howling to be expected the nanosecond that anyone proposes that the retired be made to stump up for anything, even if it's only the better-off ones. Certainly it'll take about five seconds for Age UK and other elderly lobbies to start painting pictures of frail, vulnerable little old ladies being forced to decide whether to use a fan heater to keep warm or a ring on the hob to cook their dinner - or, for that matter, whether to buy food for the cat or food for themselves. It's going to take a lot of sticking power to see off that sort of pleading.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    I still have no idea how they haven't picked up on the relatively free win of merging cap gains and income tax. I'm not certain on the exact maths, but I'm fairly certain that you can frame it as giving the majority of people a pay rise (by raising the threshold from 12.5k to 15k, and 50k to 55k/60k), while rolling all cap gains into income tax, resulting in it being a net positive in terms of tax take.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,764
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day
    It did change everything. It was the moment the West toppled, and began to fall, especially America

All that came after, Afghanistan (an actual reaction) to Iraq, to the Crash, has only speeded that relative decline

It was a monumental inflection point. America was at the peak of post-communist imperial swagger, the USA was the unchallenged Hegemon, the mono-power. Supreme. China was an intriguing joke on a distant horizon. Then two planes hit two towers, and it all changed

Historians will date all 21st century things from that day
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day
    I was 14 at the time, so things can seem bigger than they are at such an age, but I remember feeling genuinely scared by my uncle’s view that “this was just the beginning.” There were all those scares about anthrax and dirty bombs. But I think you’re right, as visually dramatic as it was, it wasn’t such a big deal.

Funnily enough, I was also genuinely spooked by the SARS outbreak. But then as I got older, I started to think these things get overhyped. And then COVID came along.
    I was bunking off Sixth Form at the time and messing around on the net when suddenly bits of it started to buckle under the weight of everyone logging on to try and see what was happening.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

CatMan said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Not grappling with moral dilemmas that's for sure.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There is absolutely no evidence cutting taxes below 40% of GDP increases growth rates. There are some that would keep cutting spending and taxes until we get to what the US has: a military, an insurance scheme and very little else.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    I still have no idea how they haven't picked up on the relatively free win of merging cap gains and income tax. I'm not certain on the exact maths, but I'm fairly certain that you can frame it as giving the majority of people a pay rise (by raising the threshold from 12.5k to 15k, and 50k to 55k/60k), while rolling all cap gains into income tax, resulting in it being a net positive in terms of tax take.
    Too many party donors lose out.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Absolutely correct as usual Big G.

People like @MaxPB and Philip Thompson live in a fantasy world and don't understand that wealthy people such as they need to contribute to Society rather than just being focused on their own pockets.

I who am noted for being moderate and centre on here am proud to confirm that in my last 10 years of working I paid (approx) £1m tax and NI. It showed that I paid my way as well as being massively successful. 👍
  • Options
    Foss said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day

I was bunking off Sixth Form at the time and messing around on the net when suddenly bits of it started to buckle under the weight of everyone logging on to try and see what was happening.
    I was in the Faculty Library in Edinburgh when the internet completely crashed. No one knew what had happened. My wife phoned and said that planes had flown into the twin towers. It was utterly shocking. I packed up and went home listening to radio all the way and in tears.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trouble is that wealthy retired people are the core demographic for Johnson's Conservatives (and to be fair, they always have been in modern times). And less wealthy but comfortable retired homeowners in the north are the next ones on Johnson's list. That's where his majority is from.

Anyone else in the great Conservative tradition is like the wife who has been dumped for a fruiter model.

They have nowhere else to go. They'll grumble a bit and go and vote Tory in 2024. Working age people have no such difficulty. I live in a marginal seat, it's a nailed on Tory loss at this rate. I'm not even talking about taxing all pensioners more, just the 2m higher rate ones.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that your income is in the top 5% bracket.

I genuinely struggle to understand why you are so vehement about not wanting to pay a penny more in tax.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

"Low taxes and grow the economy" sounds great but how exactly do you think low taxes (and presumably the consequent public spending cuts) will grow the economy?
    And of course even if we cut taxes and the economy did grow faster, the deficit would still be wider overall and they would use the situation as a reason to cut taxes again. Soon you end up like the clusterfuck in Kansas. It is zealotry, uninformed by real world evidence. They talk about the Laffer curve, but pretend there isn't a left hand side of it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They have nowhere else to go. They'll grumble a bit and go and vote Tory in 2024. Working age people have no such difficulty. I live in a marginal seat, it's a nailed on Tory loss at this rate. I'm not even talking about taxing all pensioners more, just the 2m higher rate ones.
    Just because they don't fancy voting for anyone else, doesn't necessarily mean they won't protest by staying at home and sitting on their hands. That is the Government's entire problem.

It's like when the Lib Dems dumped their opposition to tuition fees. You piss on your supporters at your peril.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,237
    edited September 2021
    rpjs said:

Or to use the kindertransport statues at Liverpool Street as somewhere to discard coffee cups.

ETA but maybe that is what happens to memorials with the passage of time. Do we think badly of tourists visiting the Vietnam war memorial? Or Trafalgar Square?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

People like @MaxPB and Philip Thompson live in a fantasy world and don't understand that wealthy people such as they need to contribute to Society rather than just being focused on their own pockets.

I who am noted for being moderate and centre on here am proud to confirm that in my last 10 years of working I paid (approx) £1m tax and NI. It showed that I paid my way as well as being massively successful. 👍
    My net rate of tax was 42% last year. Get off your high horse, you're not the only person with an annual six figure tax bill and I'll be paying it for many more years than you did.

My own situation isn't relevant, my issue is working people on modest incomes being forced to pay when there's rich pensioners who can easily be taxed at source for significantly more than they pay now and have their state pension tapered down to zero from £50k+
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

To be honest that was not the impression you gave me and maybe I misunderstood

• Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day
    It did change everything. It was the moment the West toppled, and began to fall, especially America

All that came after, Afghanistan (an actual reaction) to Iraq, to the Crash, has only speeded that relative decline

It was a monumental inflection point. America was at the peak of post-communist imperial swagger, the USA was the unchallenged Hegemon, the mono-power. Supreme. China was an intriguing joke on a distant horizon. Then two planes hit two towers, and it all changed

Historians will date all 21st century things from that day
    I agree with that.
    I was meaning on a more personal level. People continued to fly. Live and work in tall buildings. Cities, particularly the centres continued their rapid growth. There was no war with conscription. No economic shockwave.
    For the vast majority life continued as if nowt had happened.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited September 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly, home owning over 65s are the Tories core vote and those in the 45-65 bracket who own property and are waiting for an inheritance are who won the Tories the last general election.

Even in 2019 Labour won under 44s so they can largely be ignored as far as the Tories are concerned, most of the under 40s are not voting Tory
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foss said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Depressing?"

An awful, awful day

I was in the Faculty Library in Edinburgh when the internet completely crashed. No one knew what had happened. My wife phoned and said that planes had flown into the twin towers. It was utterly shocking. I packed up and went home listening to radio all the way and in tears.
    We only had dialup at home at the time and I managed to maintain the underlying connection. But everything got flaky - msn messenger, irc, then the big news sites, then the messages boards that were mirroring text from the big sites. I think I spent a chunk of the first hour trying to keep up with stuff via Slashdot of all places.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    20,000 pissed and pissed off Yorkshire men (and lasses)....with the boxing called off.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    Chameleon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Far easier is to just fuck the young, again.

It's about time we abolish the state pension to pay for social care. If you're 60+ and haven't saved enough to retire then it's no one's fault but your own, especially in today's pension opt-out world.

At least with Corbyn I'd have got a few more bank holidays.
    Yes but not great to have so many in winter (the 4 were the saints days of England, Scotland Wales and Ireland). Nothing to do but sit inside in the rain reading Marx or allotment seed catalogues...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My net rate of tax was 42% last year. Get off your high horse, you're not the only person with an annual six figure tax bill and I'll be paying it for many more years than you did.

My own situation isn't relevant, my issue is working people on modest incomes being forced to pay when there's rich pensioners who can easily be taxed at source for significantly more than they pay now and have their state pension tapered down to zero from £50k+
    I have no idea how a pensioners receives a state pension of £50,000
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    Sunak and Javid wanted 2% NI, Boris kept it at 1%
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tories can afford to lose a few high earning voters like you to the LDs, many of them Remainers anyway, they cannot afford to lose homeowning Leave voting pensioners in the RedWall to Farage or Labour nor can they afford to lose their homeowning Leave voting retired core vote in the South to Farage or the LDs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

He's gone native.

What a shame.
    Sunak and Javid wanted 2% NI, Boris kept it at 1%
    And welcome back
  • Options
    pigeon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Just because they don't fancy voting for anyone else, doesn't necessarily mean they won't protest by staying at home and sitting on their hands. That is the Government's entire problem.

It's like when the Lib Dems dumped their opposition to tuition fees. You piss on your supporters at your peril.
    Part of the magic of 2019 was that the Conservatives did, to quite a large extent, gain new voters in the Red Wall without losing many of them elsewhere. Fans of Greive, Soubry et al went, but they didn't add up to enough to tip many seats. Whether that trick is sustainable remains to be seen.

The government's underlying problem is that it won by persuading people that a wall of money could be released by leaving the EU and that no tough financial decisions would be needed on anything because everyone would be a mega winner.

It was always a con, the trouble is that governments can't do the equivalent of running from the restaurant at the moment the waiter realises the credit card is a dud.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

And of course even if we cut taxes and the economy did grow faster, the deficit would still be wider overall and they would use the situation as a reason to cut taxes again. Soon you end up like the clusterfuck in Kansas. It is zealotry, uninformed by real world evidence. They talk about the Laffer curve, but pretend there isn't a left hand side of it.
    Arthur Laffer himself was an economic adviser to Kansas.
    Strangely, he still has influence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well done you managed a post without swearing at me.

If you are in the 42% tax band you are no where near paying £100,000 tax a year.

I was a regular visitor to the AR band even in the good old days when it was 50%. So 52% technically on your basis.

If you ever get to earning more than £100k a year you will enjoy the 60%/effective 62% band. Probably 63% by then

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    Deleted
  • Options
    Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

Ah the fabled Laffer curve - a curve with no formula, no coordinates, no data - about as real as a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You are begging the question by adding "consequent spending cuts". It is possible lower tax rates will allow higher spending if the economy grows (or if the Laffer curve people are right). They might grow the economy by permitting higher productive investment or just higher private spending.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly, home owning over 65s are the Tories core vote and those in the 45-65 bracket who own property and are waiting for an inheritance are who won the Tories the last general election.

Even in 2019 Labour won under 44s so they can largely be ignored as far as the Tories are concerned, most of the under 40s are not voting Tory
    Gives me a convenient opportunity to post this graphic from 2019, showing the results of research into where the two main parties derive their support:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47909281

As you say, the Tory core vote is (1) old people, who are also largely homeowners, and (2) middle class, middle aged or near pensionable people, who are mostly homeowners or mortgage payers, and a great many of whom are also expectant heirs.

Based on this, there are three things that a Johnson (i.e. populist) Tory Government ought not to do:

*Make pensioners pay for anything
    *Try to put new taxes on property
    *Raise inheritance tax

If they do actually elect to deprive oldies of the bumper state pension rise they have coming next Spring then it will be a very brave decision - in the Sir Humphrey sense of the word.
  • Options

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

Ah the fabled Laffer curve - a curve with no formula, no coordinates, no data - about as real as a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end.
    That's like saying the Bell curve isn't real because there's no formula etc

Of course the curve is real, and of course you can be on the left hand side of it. There's no inevitability of being on the right hand side.

I just happen to believe that a 75% real marginal tax rate on income is on the left hand side of it.
  • Options

Kaivan Shroff
    @KaivanShroff
    ·
    Sep 2
    But for Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton would have become the first female president of the United States – and none of this would have happened. Instead we got the first president to be impeached twice.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Gives me a convenient opportunity to post this graphic from 2019, showing the results of research into where the two main parties derive their support:

As you say, the Tory core vote is (1) old people, who are also largely homeowners, and (2) middle class, middle aged or near pensionable people, who are mostly homeowners or mortgage payers, and a great many of whom are also expectant heirs.

Based on this, there are three things that a Johnson (i.e. populist) Tory Government ought not to do:

*Raise inheritance tax

If they do actually elect to deprive oldies of the bumper state pension rise they have coming next Spring then it will be a very brave decision - in the Sir Humphrey sense of the word.
    And the correct one (I am a pensioner so would be affected)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    So younger people who have been shafted by pensioners over Brexit and then shafted over covid to protect the same pensioners are now expected to stump up an NI rise to allow the same group to pay fuck all towards the increased social care costs .

They should means test pensioners and stick a tax rise on those who can afford it .
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You are begging the question by adding "consequent spending cuts". It is possible lower tax rates will allow higher spending if the economy grows (or if the Laffer curve people are right). They might grow the economy by permitting higher productive investment or just higher private spending.
    You say "if the economy grows", I am asking how do lower taxes grow the economy?

Tax isn't lost to the economy, it's spent and recycled.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2021
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

*Raise inheritance tax

Its worth noting that research is from when Theresa May was in charge and matches the 2017 election, which is why the Tories lost their majority.

In the 2019 election the Tory/Labour crossover age dropped down to 39, which accounted for the Tory landslide majority.

Taking a dump on working voters will take us back to the dark days of Theresa May.
This discussion has been closed.