Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2 Samuel 22:50 applies to the British Polling Council – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,753
edited September 2021 in General
image2 Samuel 22:50 applies to the British Polling Council – politicalbetting.com

Morning Consult/Politico poll today:Do you believe the U.S. should still withdraw its military presence in Afghanistan if it means it creates an opening for Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups to establish operations in Afghanistan?45% — still withdraw40% — don’t withdraw

Read the full story here

«13456

Comments

  • Options
    First
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Good old Samuel!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021
    Morning Consult has gone both ways on this, their 16th August poll had 48% saying the US should not withdraw from Afghanistan if it created an opening for Al Qaeda and other groups and 35% saying they should.

    However in both cases there was a clear partisan divide, 62% of Republicans in the 16th August poll opposed withdrawal if it let Al Qaeda back in while Democrats by 44% to 36% still supported it.

    In the 25th August poll 59% of Democrats still supported the withdrawal even if it led to the return of Al Qaeda and terrorist groups to only 32% of Republicans who would still support the withdrawal
    https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/16/afghanistan-withdrawal-taliban-polling/
    https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/25/afghanistan-withdrawal-relocation-poll/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    Greens now on 9% and ahead of the LDs on 8% and Tories 8% ahead of Labour
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I have to celebrate the BPC, baby
    I have to praise it like I should.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,860
    Does it?

    ‘Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.’

    Do you perhaps mean 15?

    ‘And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.’
  • Options
    Meaghan Kall
    @kallmemeg
    ·
    1h
    Sparkles Festival Watch Sparkles

    Today is about when we’d expect to start seeing a ‘festival effect’ - if there is one - from BH weekend events:

    • Creamfields
    • Reading
    • Leeds
    • Victorious
    • All Points East
    • Manchester Pride
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777
    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

    Does it?

    ‘Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.’

    Do you perhaps mean 15?

    ‘And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.’

    Replace Lord with BPC and it makes sense.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,602
    That question has got my blood RIGHT up. Impeach cowardy custard Biden!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,860

    ydoethur said:

    Does it?

    ‘Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.’

    Do you perhaps mean 15?

    ‘And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.’

    Replace Lord with BPC and it makes sense.
    Ah, now I am with you.
  • Options

    Meaghan Kall
    @kallmemeg
    ·
    1h
    Sparkles Festival Watch Sparkles

    Today is about when we’d expect to start seeing a ‘festival effect’ - if there is one - from BH weekend events:

    • Creamfields
    • Reading
    • Leeds
    • Victorious
    • All Points East
    • Manchester Pride

    • Aberdeen
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,579
    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    Andy_JS said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
    It is rather out of line with the polling averages, mind:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options

    Paul Mainwood
    @PaulMainwood
    ·
    10m
    A UK vaccine supply update.
    If you can't be bothered with a thread, then TL;DR:
    There's plenty of doses. There's plenty of mRNA doses. There may be very good reasons not to offer teenage vaccination, or to start a >50s booster programme, but they are not supply-based.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021
    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Maybe maybe not, the fact was it was still the religious bodies who provided the funds so a lot of those artists and sculptors architects and builders could afford to paint and produce the great buildings and artwork of the time. Hence the Vatican has probably the greatest collection of art in the world.

    As well of course as most of the earliest universities and seats of learning and schools and many of the early hospitals being founded by religions too
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
    The Exodus of the Corbynites


    Exodus 3:7
    “I have observed the misery of my people who are in Labour,” Jez's voice called out to him (Exodus 3:7). Jez then charged Johnny Mc to lead the Corbynites out of bondage and bring them to the Promised Land. He also told him to use his brother Piers as his spokesman, because “he can speak fluent gibberish”
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,685
    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    It was hardly worth the effort.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Ben Wallace & Dominic Raab:

    Aug 27: Wallace criticises FCDO staff who left identifying docs at Kabul embassy

    Aug 31: Raab criticises ‘military’ intel failings

    Sept 1: Wallace contradicts Raab, says he thought ‘game was up’ in July

    Sept 2: Raab says he & Wallace had same intel

    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1433458282631516164

    I am on Raab @ 25/1, and Wallace @ 16/1
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,921
    Actually, i think the Morning Consult question is OK provided people quote it in full. It's a probing question: even if all this bad stuff happens, is it still worth it? To which the answer is yes, thus demonstrating a strong American commitment to get out of Afghanistan.

    There may be a quibble if not all Americans may think an Al Qaeda attack is particularly likely
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

    Andy_JS said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
    The Exodus of the Corbynites
    Labour and the LDs clearly now below 2019 levels, so while a few Tories have gone to Labour or the LDs and RefUK as the Tories are now on 39%, even more 2019 Labour voters have gone to the Greens.

    So literally one could now say 'Vote Green, Go Blue!' under UK FPTP
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,685
    Scott_xP said:

    Ben Wallace & Dominic Raab:

    Aug 27: Wallace criticises FCDO staff who left identifying docs at Kabul embassy

    Aug 31: Raab criticises ‘military’ intel failings

    Sept 1: Wallace contradicts Raab, says he thought ‘game was up’ in July

    Sept 2: Raab says he & Wallace had same intel

    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1433458282631516164

    I am on Raab @ 25/1, and Wallace @ 16/1

    I thought Wallace had a decent withdrawal, he even cried in the right places, whereas Raab had an absolute mare.
  • Options
    India 191
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    What's shocking about the first question is that even with such an unfavourable framing people were still in favour of withdrawal.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    HYUFD said:

    isam said:

    Andy_JS said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
    The Exodus of the Corbynites
    Labour and the LDs clearly now below 2019 levels, so while a few Tories have gone to Labour or the LDs and RefUK as the Tories are now on 39%, even more 2019 Labour voters have gone to the Greens.

    So literally one could now say 'Vote Green, Go Blue!' under UK FPTP
    The Greens will probably get a lot of votes for not many seats, (if this poll were a GE) so shouldnt be added to Labours score via Electoral Calculus or whatever
  • Options
    The Southern GOP surge:


    Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    2h
    3 Southern states are newly leading the US pandemic and currently have more new cases/100,000 people than any country of the world
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,535
    edited September 2021
    ydoethur said:

    Does it?

    ‘Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.’

    Do you perhaps mean 15?

    ‘And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.’

    The BPC would be more likely to go all Ezekiel 25:17 on such nonsense.

    KJV, or Tarantino.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    MaxPB said:

    What's shocking about the first question is that even with such an unfavourable framing people were still in favour of withdrawal.

    Not really. Americans are tired of perpetual war.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,535
    Scott_xP said:

    Ben Wallace & Dominic Raab:

    Aug 27: Wallace criticises FCDO staff who left identifying docs at Kabul embassy

    Aug 31: Raab criticises ‘military’ intel failings

    Sept 1: Wallace contradicts Raab, says he thought ‘game was up’ in July

    Sept 2: Raab says he & Wallace had same intel

    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1433458282631516164

    I am on Raab @ 25/1, and Wallace @ 16/1

    Intel is only as good as those who interpret it.

    South Korean sources had great intel on Kim's preparations to invade in 1950. MacArthur's intelligence chief discounted its value.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Greens about to replace Lib-Dems as Britain's third party?
  • Options
    A UK vaccine supply update.
    If you can't be bothered with a thread, then TL;DR:
    There's plenty of doses. There's plenty of mRNA doses. There may be very good reasons not to offer teenage vaccination, or to start a >50s booster programme, but they are not supply-based.

    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1433455570271473671?s=20
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited September 2021
    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited September 2021
    Romanian Canadian British tennis sensation Raducanu already a break up in the tennis.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    FF43 said:

    Actually, i think the Morning Consult question is OK provided people quote it in full. It's a probing question: even if all this bad stuff happens, is it still worth it? To which the answer is yes, thus demonstrating a strong American commitment to get out of Afghanistan.

    There may be a quibble if not all Americans may think an Al Qaeda attack is particularly likely

    However given a majority of Republicans in the poll oppose not only the withdrawal if AQ attack again but the withdrawal outright then if the Republicans win the Presidency in 2024 as well as Congress next year then the US should shift in a more interventionist and neocon direction again than it currently is under Biden-Harris and with the Democrats in control of Congress
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited September 2021
    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1433444218291228672?s=19

    This is a beautifully crafted tweet that many people are misunderstanding.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,192
    GIN1138 said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Greens about to replace Lib-Dems as Britain's third party?
    In some ways it's a surprise that the Greens aren't doing considerably better than they are. Labour and the Greens are both centred on the leadership, support and interests of the same class of left-leaning metropolitan. The main difference between the two is that Labour, under current management, are blander and less radical.
  • Options
    What was the Bolton Boycott trying there....trying a ODI shot over the slips.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231

    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.

    You've put the whatsits on it. 6-2 now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    Well one thing is for certain is that Soder's CSU will still win Bavaria comfortably, indeed on that poll Bavaria could be the only region of Germany where the Union still win most votes and most seats.

    This will be the CDU and Laschet's defeat
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,535

    What was the Bolton Boycott trying there....trying a ODI shot over the slips.

    That was a true WTAF shot in the circumstances.
  • Options

    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.

    Doommonger
  • Options

    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.

    Doommonger
    England or the NFT market?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    HYUFD said:

    isam said:

    Andy_JS said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Interesting to see the Greens above the LDs.
    The Exodus of the Corbynites
    Labour and the LDs clearly now below 2019 levels, so while a few Tories have gone to Labour or the LDs and RefUK as the Tories are now on 39%, even more 2019 Labour voters have gone to the Greens.

    So literally one could now say 'Vote Green, Go Blue!' under UK FPTP
    I expect Labour will be saying exactly that! And it'll be true.

    In practice, pace isam, I'd expect about half the Green vote to go Labour in marginals, not least as the Greens won't stand everywhere. But I do see them potentially moving into 3rd place, since they stand for some widely-recognised distinctive things (Corbynism plus added greenery), unlike, well, almost anyone else at the moment. They need to avoid disappearing down the trans feud rabbithole, though.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,192

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    AIUI the German constitution forbids secession. Canada and the UK are exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to the willingness to contemplate torching themselves.
  • Options

    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.

    Doommonger
    England or the NFT market?
    I am not familiar with the latter...
  • Options
    On topic, what's the purpose of shove-you-down-the-stairs questions like that in the Rasmussen poll? In the good old days you'd just be laughed at cos you're so transparently desperate to fix the answer, but is it more important now to give your social media foot soldiers something to crow about? Of course some of the more..er..naive may think this is a reasonable question which gives a clear snapshot of where the US voter is right now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    pigeon said:

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    AIUI the German constitution forbids secession. Canada and the UK are exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to the willingness to contemplate torching themselves.
    There is a Bavarian independence party however and the Spanish constitution did not stop the Catalan Nationalists pushing for independence, the Catalan government even declared UDI in 2017
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Party
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,535
    A vegan milk substitute which might actually be worth trying.

    https://www.popsci.com/environment/vegan-milk-ice-cream-tastes-real/
    ...The California startup skips the udder by adding cow DNA to a prolific strain of a fungus called Trichoderma reesei. Give those modified microbes a little sugar and a stint in a fermentation chamber and they churn out a mixture of dairy proteins, including casein and whey, that are molecularly identical to those that give products made with regular old moo juice their wonderful consistency. From there it’s simply a matter of adding a bit of water and some plant-based fats to create creamy goodness that requires no animals at all.

    Perfect Day’s research found that its process generates 85 to 97 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions than conventional dairy production. It also doesn’t use any of the hormones or antibiotics (or, for that matter, land) needed to keep that immense livestock machine running. You won’t find any lactose or cholesterol, either....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231
    pigeon said:

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    AIUI the German constitution forbids secession. Canada and the UK are exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to the willingness to contemplate torching themselves.
    Verboten? I seem to recall an interminable debate about that here.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,860

    What was the Bolton Boycott trying there....trying a ODI shot over the slips.

    Not as bad as poor Ben Sanderson, chased a ball all the way to the rope only to trip over it, ends up on his arse *and* kicked it over the rope for four.

    You’ve got to feel sorry for Northants. They’ve been much the better side for three and a half days and Miles Hammond and Tom Lace have somehow stolen the match from them on the last afternoon.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,192
    HYUFD said:

    pigeon said:

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    AIUI the German constitution forbids secession. Canada and the UK are exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to the willingness to contemplate torching themselves.
    There is a Bavarian independence party however and the Spanish constitution did not stop the Catalan Nationalists pushing for independence, the Catalan government even declared UDI in 2017
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Party
    For all the good that it did them, as you sometimes like to remind us when another argument about certain northerly parts erupts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    GIN1138 said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Greens about to replace Lib-Dems as Britain's third party?
    Well, it would be logical. In most other Western democracies, the Greens are the third party.

    That being said, FPTP makes it really hard for parties to break through. How do they convince people (and their supporters tend to be well educated and capable of understanding technical ) that their votes are not wasted?

    And it's a chicken and egg issue: they don't get the local votes, and therefore they don't get seen as a challenger, and therefore they don't get the local votes.

    I think they need (a) a really charismatic leader, and (b) to have popular policies that allow them to be differentiated from the other parties (particularly the Left wing ones).

    Right now, I'm not sure they have either.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited September 2021

    And so starts the England collapse....just like the NFT market.

    Doommonger
    England or the NFT market?
    I am not familiar with the latter...
    People are currently paying $1000 for a lottery ticket to buy 1 of 10,000 art collection (the actual art then costs another $500+), where they don't know which bit of art they are getting....then trying to flip it for $100k's, even $ millions, and people are buying them...

    I believe the NFT of my avatar is worth $150k...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    Well one thing is for certain is that Soder's CSU will still win Bavaria comfortably, indeed on that poll Bavaria could be the only region of Germany where the Union still win most votes and most seats.

    This will be the CDU and Laschet's defeat
    Yes it's quite possible that the CDU doesn't top the poll anywhere. The CSU will probably still win Bavaria with a very low vote share of just over 30%. I can see the Greens topping the poll in Baden Würtemberg. AfD in Saxony and potentially SPD everywhere else.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    There are two parts to this - the decision itself and the impact on Biden's brand / image, related to how he compares with Trump.

    On the first part, I'd agree re Biden not taking a political hit. The US people generally want out of Afghanistan so it's a popular decision.

    The problem for Biden comes with the second part. Three of his key election brand platforms were competence, compassion and decency. I'd argue the way the withdrawal was done has seriously damaged the first but maybe not permanently. However, he will definitely take a permanent hit on the other two (anyone who says Biden is compassionate will get laughed at given his "that was four or five days ago" comment).

    All these three points were supposed to be differentiators with Trump. If you are going to pitch Biden as an hard ass, American first President, why not go for the real thing. That is another issue.

    Finally, people had issues with Biden pre-Afghanistan - questions over his mental capabilities, the rise of inflation etc. What has happened only builds on these.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,921
    HYUFD said:

    FF43 said:

    Actually, i think the Morning Consult question is OK provided people quote it in full. It's a probing question: even if all this bad stuff happens, is it still worth it? To which the answer is yes, thus demonstrating a strong American commitment to get out of Afghanistan.

    There may be a quibble if not all Americans may think an Al Qaeda attack is particularly likely

    However given a majority of Republicans in the poll oppose not only the withdrawal if AQ attack again but the withdrawal outright then if the Republicans win the Presidency in 2024 as well as Congress next year then the US should shift in a more interventionist and neocon direction again than it currently is under Biden-Harris and with the Democrats in control of Congress
    This is where it's difficult to disaggregate the policy - exiting Afghanistan, which most Americans support and where Biden is implementing a process already started by Trump- from a perception that it could have been handled better and where Biden is blamed. Unless something changes I don't see a Republican president being more interventionist.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409

    A UK vaccine supply update.
    If you can't be bothered with a thread, then TL;DR:
    There's plenty of doses. There's plenty of mRNA doses. There may be very good reasons not to offer teenage vaccination, or to start a >50s booster programme, but they are not supply-based.

    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1433455570271473671?s=20

    So... 22 million mRNA doses in stock in the UK. Plus, presumably, a decent number of AZ doses too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

    A UK vaccine supply update.
    If you can't be bothered with a thread, then TL;DR:
    There's plenty of doses. There's plenty of mRNA doses. There may be very good reasons not to offer teenage vaccination, or to start a >50s booster programme, but they are not supply-based.

    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1433455570271473671?s=20

    So... 22 million mRNA doses in stock in the UK. Plus, presumably, a decent number of AZ doses too.
    Yes but remember something something, doing third doses will cause vaccine hesitancy....something something...we can't do kids as well as oldies...something something...BS BS BS....
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Hoping this new Abba music is good. They were true masters at their craft
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    FF43 said:

    HYUFD said:

    FF43 said:

    Actually, i think the Morning Consult question is OK provided people quote it in full. It's a probing question: even if all this bad stuff happens, is it still worth it? To which the answer is yes, thus demonstrating a strong American commitment to get out of Afghanistan.

    There may be a quibble if not all Americans may think an Al Qaeda attack is particularly likely

    However given a majority of Republicans in the poll oppose not only the withdrawal if AQ attack again but the withdrawal outright then if the Republicans win the Presidency in 2024 as well as Congress next year then the US should shift in a more interventionist and neocon direction again than it currently is under Biden-Harris and with the Democrats in control of Congress
    This is where it's difficult to disaggregate the policy - exiting Afghanistan, which most Americans support and where Biden is implementing a process already started by Trump- from a perception that it could have been handled better and where Biden is blamed. Unless something changes I don't see a Republican president being more interventionist.
    A Republican President like Romney or Haley would certainly be more interventionist.

    Short of that though yes unless there is another terrorist attack on US soil planned in the Middle East or Afghanistan or North Africa then it is unlikely any administration for the foreseeable future will be significantly different from Biden's on foreign policy
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    pigeon said:

    HYUFD said:

    pigeon said:

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    AIUI the German constitution forbids secession. Canada and the UK are exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to the willingness to contemplate torching themselves.
    There is a Bavarian independence party however and the Spanish constitution did not stop the Catalan Nationalists pushing for independence, the Catalan government even declared UDI in 2017
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Party
    For all the good that it did them, as you sometimes like to remind us when another argument about certain northerly parts erupts.
    Neither would succeed of course but then neither would an attempt in Scotland succeed either if the UK government opposed it
  • Options
    Raducanu set up and break up...
  • Options

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    image

    This is according to one pollster. Yes ,their claimed 7.5% SPD lead is large.

    But look at the distribution - I don't think it's the CSU letting the side down*


    (*don't overthink it)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,921
    MrEd said:

    There are two parts to this - the decision itself and the impact on Biden's brand / image, related to how he compares with Trump.

    On the first part, I'd agree re Biden not taking a political hit. The US people generally want out of Afghanistan so it's a popular decision.

    The problem for Biden comes with the second part. Three of his key election brand platforms were competence, compassion and decency. I'd argue the way the withdrawal was done has seriously damaged the first but maybe not permanently. However, he will definitely take a permanent hit on the other two (anyone who says Biden is compassionate will get laughed at given his "that was four or five days ago" comment).

    All these three points were supposed to be differentiators with Trump. If you are going to pitch Biden as an hard ass, American first President, why not go for the real thing. That is another issue.

    Finally, people had issues with Biden pre-Afghanistan - questions over his mental capabilities, the rise of inflation etc. What has happened only builds on these.

    Agree with you on the compassion and decency point, but I would think on the mental faculties issue, Biden comes out of this being extremely hard-headed, Cynical actually
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,384
    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Also, the atheists tended to get barbecued as well, so they had two reasons to miss the religious commissions.

    And also, only some religions went all out for idolatry and art (not quite the same thing). Some eschewed them, and to this day I find the bare austerity of many Presbyterian kirks calming.

    As so often said on PB: dodgy conclusions come from inherently biased samples.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,175
    The crumb of comfort for Labour with polls showing a high green voting intention is that come a GE many of those will move to them .

    I’d be surprised if the Greens polled more than 3% at the next election .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

    The crumb of comfort for Labour with polls showing a high green voting intention is that come a GE many of those will move to them .

    I’d be surprised if the Greens polled more than 3% at the next election .

    Or Lib Dem?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,277
    pigeon said:

    GIN1138 said:

    Scott_xP said:

    Westminster Voting Intention:

    CON: 39% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (-1)
    GRN: 9% (+1)
    LDM: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (=)
    RFM: 4% (+1)

    Via @YouGov, 25-26 Aug.
    Changes w/ 17-18 Aug.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/27/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-25-26-aug?utm_source=twitter+&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention

    Greens about to replace Lib-Dems as Britain's third party?
    In some ways it's a surprise that the Greens aren't doing considerably better than they are. Labour and the Greens are both centred on the leadership, support and interests of the same class of left-leaning metropolitan. The main difference between the two is that Labour, under current management, are blander and less radical.
    I think we may be seeing the left vote become more efficient, with those Green votes mostly in safe Labour seats.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I am pleased to announce i have now locked in a guaranteed profit on the 20w4 Presidential Election.

    I will not be taking any questions at this time.

    Thank you.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

    MrEd said:

    There are two parts to this - the decision itself and the impact on Biden's brand / image, related to how he compares with Trump.

    On the first part, I'd agree re Biden not taking a political hit. The US people generally want out of Afghanistan so it's a popular decision.

    The problem for Biden comes with the second part. Three of his key election brand platforms were competence, compassion and decency. I'd argue the way the withdrawal was done has seriously damaged the first but maybe not permanently. However, he will definitely take a permanent hit on the other two (anyone who says Biden is compassionate will get laughed at given his "that was four or five days ago" comment).

    All these three points were supposed to be differentiators with Trump. If you are going to pitch Biden as an hard ass, American first President, why not go for the real thing. That is another issue.

    Finally, people had issues with Biden pre-Afghanistan - questions over his mental capabilities, the rise of inflation etc. What has happened only builds on these.

    Agree with you on the compassion and decency point, but I would think on the mental faculties issue, Biden comes out of this being extremely hard-headed, Cynical actually
    I thought he was coming out of it being completely deluded and incapable of coherent thought. That is, at least, the impression I have been getting of him. I am glad he won the election because... well, Trump. But I never had any illusions about him being any better as a president than the Golden Wigged One and sadly that has proven to be the case.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021
    Carnyx said:

    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Also, the atheists tended to get barbecued as well, so they had two reasons to miss the religious commissions.

    And also, only some religions went all out for idolatry and art (not quite the same thing). Some eschewed them, and to this day I find the bare austerity of many Presbyterian kirks calming.

    As so often said on PB: dodgy conclusions come from inherently biased samples.
    Maybe but if you want to see great art and sculpture you go to the Vatican or even the likes of St Paul's cathedral not a kirk.

    You can be an atheist and still appreciate the artworks the Vatican has and commissioned even if the kirk is more pious in its worship
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021

    Post debate poll in Germany:

    Infratest dimap / ARD: SPD 25 % (+4%) | CDU/CSU 20 % (-3%) | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 8 %

    Changes with 19 August.

    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de

    Another dire poll for Laschet

    Looks like an SPD led coalition on the way. A few days ago my fellow Essex Man was postulating a break up of the CDU/CSU alliance and a separate Bavaria within the EU. I wonder!!!!
    image

    This is according to one pollster. Yes ,their claimed 7.5% SPD lead is large.

    But look at the distribution - I don't think it's the CSU letting the side down*


    (*don't overthink it)
    On those results given the CSU will likely provide over half the remaining Union seats in the Bundestag hopefully they get more influence in selecting the chancellor candidate next time and Soder therefore gets the gig.

    Clearly it is Laschet and the CDU who will have lost it this time
  • Options
    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

    Carnyx said:

    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Also, the atheists tended to get barbecued as well, so they had two reasons to miss the religious commissions.

    And also, only some religions went all out for idolatry and art (not quite the same thing). Some eschewed them, and to this day I find the bare austerity of many Presbyterian kirks calming.

    As so often said on PB: dodgy conclusions come from inherently biased samples.
    Maybe but if you want to see great art and sculpture you go to the Vatican or even the likes of St Paul's cathedral not a kirk.

    You can be an atheist and still appreciate the artworks the Vatican has and commissioned even if the kirk is more pious in its worship
    You can indeed appreciate them but of course one of the reasons they were there as because the Church had all the wealth and all the power. It is easy to get all the best artists when you are the only ones who can actually pay them.
  • Options

    On topic, what's the purpose of shove-you-down-the-stairs questions like that in the Rasmussen poll? In the good old days you'd just be laughed at cos you're so transparently desperate to fix the answer, but is it more important now to give your social media foot soldiers something to crow about? Of course some of the more..er..naive may think this is a reasonable question which gives a clear snapshot of where the US voter is right now.

    A mixture of cheer your own side up and get a narrative going in the media.

    Fox News: The voters want Biden impeached why aren't the traitors in Congress impeaching Biden?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,579

    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/

    Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Bollocks.

    Root out.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,334
    For @TheScreamingEagles you can get Abba tickets by looking at https://abbavoyage.com/ your best bet is to pre-order the album.
  • Options

    Bollocks.

    Root out.

    Sorry that was my fault. I have been out all day and not had a chance to catch up with the cricket. I put on TMS just in time to hear Root get bowled. I have switched off again.

    Sorry again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited September 2021

    HYUFD said:

    Carnyx said:

    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Also, the atheists tended to get barbecued as well, so they had two reasons to miss the religious commissions.

    And also, only some religions went all out for idolatry and art (not quite the same thing). Some eschewed them, and to this day I find the bare austerity of many Presbyterian kirks calming.

    As so often said on PB: dodgy conclusions come from inherently biased samples.
    Maybe but if you want to see great art and sculpture you go to the Vatican or even the likes of St Paul's cathedral not a kirk.

    You can be an atheist and still appreciate the artworks the Vatican has and commissioned even if the kirk is more pious in its worship
    You can indeed appreciate them but of course one of the reasons they were there as because the Church had all the wealth and all the power. It is easy to get all the best artists when you are the only ones who can actually pay them.
    There were some bankers, merchants and traders around even then but I don't see many of the most profitable corporations around today funding art and new buildings as much as the Church did then.

    Plus even today it is the church and religious bodies providing soup kitchens and homeless shelters, not big corporations
  • Options
    eek said:

    For @TheScreamingEagles you can get Abba tickets by looking at https://abbavoyage.com/ your best bet is to pre-order the album.

    Cheers.
  • Options

    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/

    Have you seen what that **** Joe Rogan admitted to?
  • Options
    If you liked her "Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population" in March 2020 and "Covid's IFR is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.01%" in May 2020, you're going to love
    @SunetraGupta's latest, "There isn’t a case for mass ‘booster’ jabs"!

    https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1433471557616246784?s=20
  • Options

    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/

    Have you seen what that **** Joe Rogan admitted to?
    Yes I linked it earlier.
  • Options
    Tory MSP apologises for suggesting Nicola Sturgeon is anti-English

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-58421178.amp
  • Options

    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/

    Have you seen what that **** Joe Rogan admitted to?
    Yes I linked it earlier.
    Utterly bewildered by it.
  • Options
    SAGE advisers have been sent suspicious packages, reveals member who's been targeted by anti-vaxxers

    https://news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-sage-advisers-sent-suspicious-packages-reveals-member-whos-been-targeted-by-anti-vaxxers-12397573
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited September 2021

    Shakes head....

    One third of EFL footballers have no plans to get coronavirus vaccine

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/01/revealed-one-third-efl-footballers-have-no-plans-get-coronavirus/

    Have you seen what that **** Joe Rogan admitted to?
    Yes I linked it earlier.
    Utterly bewildered by it.
    I am not actually....he has always been a bit out there, regular use of a floatation tank while doing MDMA, lots of weed, and he is big friends with Brett Weinstein, who has been pushing all the ivermectin BS for months, so much so Sam Harris called him out and did a full special debunking all this crap and basically saying Weinstein has to stop this, it is endangering people.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    @MikeSmithson, OGH - let's not have any religious headers of any sort.

    I've written to you previously about your wonky child.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,244

    Bollocks.

    Root out.

    Winning runs, second innings, nailed on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

    HYUFD said:

    Carnyx said:

    kjh said:

    @HYUFD on PT. Good response 'You may have done but you didn't' re atheists not doing all the stuff that religious groups did in the past. Can't disagree with that.

    But maybe if there hadn't been religion and hence everyone whapping great buildings for god and pictures of god and jesus, etc, they would have turned their hands to something else creative. As it was all the creative lot had their hands full of all the religious commissions.

    Also, the atheists tended to get barbecued as well, so they had two reasons to miss the religious commissions.

    And also, only some religions went all out for idolatry and art (not quite the same thing). Some eschewed them, and to this day I find the bare austerity of many Presbyterian kirks calming.

    As so often said on PB: dodgy conclusions come from inherently biased samples.
    Maybe but if you want to see great art and sculpture you go to the Vatican or even the likes of St Paul's cathedral not a kirk.

    You can be an atheist and still appreciate the artworks the Vatican has and commissioned even if the kirk is more pious in its worship
    You can indeed appreciate them but of course one of the reasons they were there as because the Church had all the wealth and all the power. It is easy to get all the best artists when you are the only ones who can actually pay them.
    There were some bankers, merchants and traders around even then but I don't see many of the most profitable corporations around today funding art and new buildings as much as the Church did then.

    Plus even today it is the church and religious bodies providing soup kitchens and homeless shelters, not big corporations
    Which ignores the billions being put into improving human life by people like Bill Gates.

    And of course you are also wrong about most big corporations. One company I have contracted to regularly has been meeting its commitment to donate several hundred thousand pounds each year to local charities even when it was £2 billion in debt. Perhaps the big difference is that a lot of companies just get on and do it without making a song and dance about it.

    Oh and the idea that the Church should be praised for commissioning all that art and architecture when they would happily have condemned and probably killed off anyone who did the same thing but without the religious connections is rather perverse. They were more than happy to destroy any great works of art that were not 'Christian'. The destruction of the Library of the Serapeum in Alexandria is just one small example.
  • Options

    nico679 said:

    The crumb of comfort for Labour with polls showing a high green voting intention is that come a GE many of those will move to them .

    I’d be surprised if the Greens polled more than 3% at the next election .

    Or Lib Dem?
    Or Green..
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    Omnium said:

    @MikeSmithson, OGH - let's not have any religious headers of any sort.

    I've written to you previously about your wonky child.

    Wonky child = TSE. Robert, and any other children you may have are great so far as I know. TSE is great too. A bit wonky though.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

    @MikeSmithson, OGH - let's not have any religious headers of any sort.

    I've written to you previously about your wonky child.

    Poor innocent child.

    Clearly you're not familiar with Proverbs 5:19 or Ezekiel 23:20 or Pulp Fiction, all of whom I am trying to work into PB headers.
This discussion has been closed.