Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s much more variable performance in different catego

13»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Fox,

Everyone is in favour of importing skills that improve their own position, but against those that compete with them. So lawyers oppose the arrival of antipodean lawyers. Plumbers oppose the every of polish plumbers. Etc.

Except programmers. They seem to respect talent irrespective of where it comes from, and never believe that a talented programmer on their team will lower their income.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @foxinsoxuk

Oh, of course. But it would just be interesting to see the country split. The current geographic categories the ONS uses (Commonwealth versus non-Commonwealth) are absurd. I would also like to see the split by different visa types, e.g. investor, post-study, highly skilled work, other work, family etc. A break up by individuals and by families too.

Although, on a side point, nurse salaries start at £21k, raising to £28k, so they are probably close to the line for net contribution.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @rcs1000

I'm quite happy for more people to import skills at my level, or for any other high income profession. My opposition is to importing skills for middle to low income jobs, because I think the low income in work have particularly tough lives.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Surely the issue should be skills rather than national origin?

Jamaican Nurses are fine, Pakistani Doctors and Bangladeshi pilots are all welcome, it is their less skilled compatriots that bring down the average financial cost/benefit for migrants.

It is also worth noting that many of our Leicester Somali community hold Dutch or Swedish passports/residency. It is not so easy to distinguish EU15 nationals from others.

Socrates said:

@anotherDave

Very interesting. So it's quite possible A8 countries have been a net drain. I can only imagine what the numbers must be for places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Somalia and Jamaica where the populations are considerably less skilled.

Yes, but the flip side of that is the brain drain on the original, poorer, home nations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/societybookreviews/10433345/Exodus-by-Paul-Collier-review.html

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Neil .. No conusion here... Bribery is a criminal offence.. both to give one and to recieve one, except, apparently, in the Green party..such as it is
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Patrick said:

The debt was very largely incurred by a one-eyed Scottish man

Good to see PB is as classy as ever and not an increasingly rabid zoo for far-right eccentrics.

:)
This discussion has been closed.