Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is going to disappoint millions of families – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2021 in General
imageThis is going to disappoint millions of families – politicalbetting.com

l

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited June 2021
    They should all go to Blackpool.

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    England qualifying? Surely not
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited June 2021
    Welp, fsck Boris. Guess I won't be seeing my native land till next year then. I'll spend my dollars here instead. Bet they'll be worth more in the UK next year anyway.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    On Warwick FPT:

Shocking. I'll say it again, at some point there must be a reckoning for the scientists. From masks to models to lab leak. A litany of failure, idiocy and obfuscation - right up to potential corruption and complicity

https://unherd.com/thepost/one-question-sir-patrick-vallance-still-needs-to-answer/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited June 2021
    Absolutely idiotic and the so called scientists need to be put back in their box

As I said earlier today I want to see Boris replaced as soon as possible

He cannot make a decision - scientists advise, politicians decide
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    DavidL said:

Well that's no fun....
  • Options

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

Would I be allowed to come back to Scotland though?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    The delta horse has long since bolted from the indian stable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Shocking. I'll say it again, at some point there must be a reckoning for the scientists. From masks to models to lab leak. A litany of failure, idiocy and obfuscation - right up to potential corruption and complicity

https://unherd.com/thepost/one-question-sir-patrick-vallance-still-needs-to-answer/

Warwick University = The Coventry Oxford.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I think, England want to either:

Win the group

Or

Finish third.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106

DavidL said:

Never in doubt.

If things turn out badly for L'Écosse tomorrow will Blackford, Sturgeon, and the rest of the secessionist movement moan that Scotland is being dragged out of the Euros against their will?
    Somebody already did that one didn't they?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Arguably the 2nd best university in Coventry
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

Ya big feartie, where's your Braveheart spirit?

I think the bigger question is why would you want to go back to Scotland when living in Blackpool might be the better option.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    3m
    TELEGRAPH BUSINESS: Murdoch eyes bid for BT Sport partnership #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

DavidL said:

Never in doubt.

If things turn out badly for L'Écosse tomorrow will Blackford, Sturgeon, and the rest of the secessionist movement moan that Scotland is being dragged out of the Euros against their will?
    Probably. We have got to find a goal from somewhere. There have been a lot of OGs in this tournament. Might be our best chance.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    DavidL said:

Hard not to. Six groups, and the top two in each group and the four best third placers qualify for the unimaginatively named round of 16.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    3m
    TELEGRAPH BUSINESS: Murdoch eyes bid for BT Sport partnership #TomorrowsPapersToday

He's just got out that game...why would he want to buy back in?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Win the group

Or

Finish third.

We're finishing second then?
  • Options
    To call that first goal for Belgium an OG seems bloody harsh.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Never in doubt.

Somebody already did that one didn't they?
    I'm showing off my impeccable environmental credentials, recycling is good.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

It’s all been very French. “Yes, yes, it’s fine in practice, but does it work in theory?”.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Win the group

Or

Finish third.

We're finishing second then?
    Probably! (with Spain finishing second in Group E too)
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    The quarantine rules in the Euro championship are absolutely ridiculous. Mount and Chilwell are in quarantine because he hugged the Scottish player in the aftermath of the match? Why's that any different than somebody grappling with him at a corner? What if he had scored a goal and been mobbed by his team? Entire team out?
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    3m

Sport is one of the few things that people watch live which equals lots of advertising and sponsorship revenue.

If had had his way, then he would in complete control of Sky.

Story here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/21/rupert-murdoch-eyes-bid-bt-sport-partnership/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited June 2021
    NEW: Philippine President Duterte on Covid jabs:

"You choose, get vaccinated or I will have you jailed"

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1407078901025751052
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

I think the bigger question is why would you want to go back to Scotland when living in Blackpool might be the better option.
    Lancashire is Plague Central and must therefore be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Which scientists, exactly? What form do you think such a "reckoning" would take?

--AS
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Actual LOL

https://twitter.com/fasiskKYR/status/1406605778602037251

Who would you rather see get a peerage?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

Because I am not an English qualified lawyer?

I am doing one of those Judicial review things tomorrow and the next day. Reports of their extinction seem to be a little overstated.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    "What’s the point of being a vaccination “world beater” if strict controls remain?"

Good question.

We're about to overtake Israel as the most double-vaccinated country in the world with more than 5 million people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
  • Options

Absolutely idiotic and the so called scientists need to be put back in their box

What box should scientists be put in? And which ones?

--AS
  • Options
    Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

The modellers look like being spectacularly wrong on the summer surge. Time for ministers to govern and ignore these models until they are rebuilt and recoded to actually reflect what happens in this pandemic.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    3m

Sport is one of the few things that people watch live which equals lots of advertising and sponsorship revenue.

If had had his way, then he would in complete control of Sky.

Story here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/21/rupert-murdoch-eyes-bid-bt-sport-partnership/
    But is susceptible to somebody like Disney coming in and destroying a BT Sport.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

What box should scientists be put in? And which ones?

--AS
    The box with Schrodingers cat in it. Then we can never be sure whether we are locked down or not.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"What’s the point of being a vaccination “world beater” if strict controls remain?"

Good question.

We're about to overtake Israel as the most double-vaccinated country in the world with more than 5 million people.

We've protected the NHS mate B)

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

The modellers look like being spectacularly wrong on the summer surge. Time for ministers to govern and ignore these models until they are rebuilt and recoded to actually reflect what happens in this pandemic.
    They need to open source the models and have them peer reviewed. Annoyingly like what Dom Cummings wanted.
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m
    TELEGRAPH FRONT: Panicked 5 year olds scared of play dates #TomorrowsPapersToday

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    DavidL said:

To call that first goal for Belgium an OG seems bloody harsh.

Indeed. One of the unluckiest I've ever seen. Lightning reflexes to get anywhere near it.
    But it was an OG.
  • Options

As I said earlier today I am want to see Boris replaced as soon as possible

Hard to avoid the conclusion that Hancock and Johnson lied when they said that we would open up once the vulnerable had been vaccinated.

Is it lying? I think Boris's eyes glaze over at the sight of graphs, numbers and Professor Whitty's next slide. I would be tempted to say Boris is functionally innumerate except that term might have a technical meaning that is not quite right here.
  • Options
    What's going to be different next year to this year?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

They need to open source the models and have them peer reviewed. Annoyingly like what Dom Cummings wanted.
    I may have misremembered this, but I seem to recall UCL/Ferguson's code was made available and some guys from another uni found it gave different answers depending on how many CPUs were involved.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    alex_ said:

There will be a new German Chancellor.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    edited June 2021
    Can anyone have a stab at listing all of England’s possible opponents in the Round of 16?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

More of the world vaccinated/herd immunised.

Should make things safer so we avoid things like flesh eating Covid-19 variants.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Er... I think we're some way off that: Israel 59.5% of the population fully vaccinated; UK 46.3%.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#what-share-of-the-population-has-been-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-19
  • Options

alex_ said:

More of the world vaccinated/herd immunised.

Should make things safer so we avoid things like flesh eating Covid-19 variants.
    Better to have the summer holidays this year whilst we only have Delta to worry about.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

I am doing one of those Judicial review things tomorrow and the next day. Reports of their extinction seem to be a little overstated.
    WFH.
  • Options

Hard to avoid the conclusion that Hancock and Johnson lied when they said that we would open up once the vulnerable had been vaccinated.

Is it lying? I think Boris's eyes glaze over at the sight of graphs, numbers and Professor Whitty's next slide. I would be tempted to say Boris is functionally innumerate except that term might have a technical meaning that is not quite right here.
    You're having problems with "functionally" aren't you?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I may have misremembered this, but I seem to recall UCL/Ferguson's code was made available and some guys from another uni found it gave different answers depending on how many CPUs were involved.

So the model was junked, which is exactly the point of open source peer review!

I feel like the concept of "SAGE" was a mistake.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Meanwhile, looks like the govt can’t actually be arsed paying for levelling up.

Considering scaling back on northern powerhouse rail projects.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/fears-of-hammer-blow-to-northern-powerhouse-rail-and-bradford-city-centre-stop-as-government-considers-scaling-back-plans-3279867
  • Options

By contrast. His eyes positively light up when he reads the polls that say 71% in favour.
    Blaming the scientists is just deflecting from the real reason the decision was made.
  • Options

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Which scientists, exactly? What form do you think such a "reckoning" would take?

--AS
    A Star Chamber which can recommend jury trials, if necessary

These scientists are exercising extraordinary power over our lives - and, in some cases, clearly relishing it. With extraordinary power comes extraordinary consequences, if you get it wrong. There HAS to be a price to pay, they can't just slink away into the shadows, some must face criminal charges

I'd start with Peter Daszak and the editors of The Lancet, who blatantly lied back in February 2020. They are now quietly trying to hide these lies

"We invited the 27 authors of the letter to re-evaluate their competing interests. Peter Daszak has expanded on his disclosure statements for this letter and two other pieces relating to COVID-19 that he co-authored or contributed to in The Lancet. See http://hubs.li/H0QHbrM0."

https://twitter.com/TheSeeker268/status/1407056608987856896?s=20
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

Win the group

Or

Finish third.

Why so? If we win the group we likely face Germany…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

When it appears it was the only source of independent expert advice, absolutely.
  • Options

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/fears-of-hammer-blow-to-northern-powerhouse-rail-and-bradford-city-centre-stop-as-government-considers-scaling-back-plans-3279867

If they f*ck with the Northumberland Line I will hit the roof
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

A bloody depressing day at work today. Waiting lists longer than I have known in my 3 decades in the NHS. Staff shortages with many either sick or left, Social Distancing meaning each day the lists gow longer. We are in a hole and still digging it deeper.

• Options

They are making Chris Grayling's tenure as Transport Secretary look like the epitome of good governance.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

A bloody depressing day at work today. Waiting lists longer than I have known in my 3 decades in the NHS. Staff shortages with many either sick or left, Social Distancing meaning each day the lists gow longer. We are in a hole and still digging it deeper.

Weirdly my relatively minor hernia surgery is in July. I only had to wait a few months. I was expecting to wait a year+
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.
    On the 30th I am doing in person sex training in Glasgow so I can prosecute these cases.

40 years too late my wife was heard muttering.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2021
    Quite frankly its a good thing that the government has belatedly realised that lifting domestic lockdowns must come before foreign travel. If they'd realised that sooner, maybe domestic lockdowns will be over already.

And to answer OGH's question, the point of the world beating vaccine program is to save lives. And if 99% of the restrictions can be eliminated with only the border protected until our neighbours catch up with our vaccine rollout progress then so be it, that's still an improvement.

If it was up to me I would have had a Stage 5 and Stage 6 in the vaccine program. Could have kept with the five-week steps.

Stage 4: Should have gone ahead today.

Stage 5, 26/7: Anyone double-vaccinated travelling to a green list country doesn't need testing and can travel as if domestically. Anyone double-vaccinated travelling to an amber list country needs a test on return but no quarantine. Would have come into effect just in time for the August holidays.

Stage 6, not before 2 September: Abolish amber list, stop checking vaccine status for domestic travellers (maybe keep it for overseas tourists). Can travel as normal whether vaccinated or not, no need for testing, no need for quarantine, with only red list country restrictions maintained.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.
    On the 30th I am doing in person sex training in Glasgow so I can prosecute these cases.

Sorry what
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I certainly want the public inquiry to look into its purpose, operation, personnel, criteria etc etc. Why for example is Mitchie on there and on indie SAGE? I mean WTF. Talk about backing two horses.

And most importantly the way it interacts with Cabinet. I seem to recall that someone involved said the other day (possibly Mr Cummings) that it was expected SAGE would feed into another committee which had people like economists on it to balance things out. This never happened. We get modelling straight off the PC onto a powerpoint into the PM's hands and 'cripes, we better lockdown eh?'.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

--AS

These scientists are exercising extraordinary power over our lives - and, in some cases, clearly relishing it. With extraordinary power comes extraordinary consequences, if you get it wrong. There HAS to be a price to pay, they can't just slink away into the shadows, some must face criminal charges

I'd start with Peter Daszak and the editors of The Lancet, who blatantly lied back in February 2020. They are now quietly trying to hide these lies

"We invited the 27 authors of the letter to re-evaluate their competing interests. Peter Daszak has expanded on his disclosure statements for this letter and two other pieces relating to COVID-19 that he co-authored or contributed to in The Lancet. See http://hubs.li/H0QHbrM0."

I have no view on the lab leak hypothesis.

But as to the other scientists such as those on SAGE, what do you think the consequences would be for the next pandemic if those who advised on this one (most of them for free) had to pay to defend themselves in a trial, and suffer a trial by media?

--AS
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Might as well bin the amber list, delta is 99% here now. Just keep the red list for other variant countries.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I have heard leave carried over from last year is an issue coming down the tracks too. Is this so?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Sorry what
    There are a lot of technicalities and particular rules for evidence in sex based prosecutions these days and the Crown thinks I should know something about them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Oh my.

Start of July I have to partake in some annual equalities and sexual harassment awareness seminars.

Reading up for this it turns out telling rude jokes at work is a no no.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m
    TELEGRAPH FRONT: Panicked 5 year olds scared of play dates #TomorrowsPapersToday

Not my experience. My kids are fed up of not being allowed play dates, birthday parties etc. Its entirely unnatural what kids have been subjected to.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57556884

So in order to remain a "World Heritage site" you have to eschew new development and avoid regeneration of sh*tty areas? Or am i misreading this in my skim interpretation?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Sex training or sex education? (!)

I heard this onece memorably used as an illustraion of the difference between training and education; you might well be happy for your children to recieve sex education at school... but sex training? - not so much.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Sorry to read this.

Am I right in thinking at Step 4 also includes ending social distancing in hospitals and healthcare? This would help presumably.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I certainly want the public inquiry to look into its purpose, operation, personnel, criteria etc etc. Why for example is Mitchie on there and on indie SAGE? I mean WTF. Talk about backing two horses.

And most importantly the way it interacts with Cabinet. I seem to recall that someone involved said the other day (possibly Mr Cummings) that it was expected SAGE would feed into another committee which had people like economists on it to balance things out. This never happened. We get modelling straight off the PC onto a powerpoint into the PM's hands and 'cripes, we better lockdown eh?'.

Certainly the phrase "cost-benefit analysis" (even one that largely ignores cash and pitches short-ish term health outcomes against medium and longer term ones) seems to have completely disappeared from the language of government.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

--AS

But as to the other scientists such as those on SAGE, what do you think the consequences would be for the next pandemic if those who advised on this one (most of them for free) had to pay to defend themselves in a trial, and suffer a trial by media?

--AS
    Millions have died. Our economy is in tatters. They got it hopelessly wrong on masks, and many other things. And the UK scientific elite either lied or conspired about "lab leak" - which you conveniently choose to ignore

Put the worst offenders in the dock and let a jury decide. They can have legal aid
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Oh my.

Start of July I have to partake in some annual equalities and sexual harassment awareness seminars.

Yeah, I should probably leave this here. Or even 10 minutes ago.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I think SAGE was undermined when Dominic Cummings joined, so that instead of SAGE being between the actual frontline scientists and the politicians, Cummings usurped the SAGE role of buffer, which meant that SAGE came to be seen as the frontline.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I'm sorry to hear that. Just as with many illnesses, the long and slow rehabilitation after the pandemic may be more painful and dispiriting than the crisis itself. I'd love to hear that the government intends to take it as seriously (and pay as freely) as they did procurement of the vaccine, but I fear it will take a while before public opinion forces them into that, if ever.

--AS
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Might as well bin the amber list, delta is 99% here now. Just keep the red list for other variant countries.

Is the objective of the amber list to keep out the delta variant?

Or is it to keep out the omega variant?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I have heard leave carried over from last year is an issue coming down the tracks too. Is this so?
    My own Trust realised it was going to be a long haul, and right from the first wave recommended we kept Leave as far as possible. Nonetheless some was carried forward, only a couple of days for me.

The anaesthetists and theatre staff were flat out on ICU, and do have lots of burnout as well as accumulated Leave owing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Oh my.

No rude jokes, no secret santas, no political discussions. Oh, and no bribes either but that's a different course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Oh my.

Yeah, I should probably leave this here. Or even 10 minutes ago.
    I still chortle at having to answer a question from one seminar in 2017.

Do you think you would have issues with having a Muslim manager?

I replied yes, because I'm such a good Muslim and every other Muslim isn't, compared to me, that would inevitably lead to conflict.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Well that’s a shock. Keep spending in the south guys.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    Fpt

Today we shall be mostly talking about Palestine and the Zionists

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like I did this weekend.

Wonderful weekend.

You should all go.

WFH.

Oh my.

No rude jokes, no secret santas, no political discussions. Oh, and no bribes either but that's a different course.
    Bribery is such a ugly and inaccurate word.

I prefer the term 'facilitation fee'.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

I'm sorry to hear that. Just as with many illnesses, the long and slow rehabilitation after the pandemic may be more painful and dispiriting than the crisis itself. I'd love to hear that the government intends to take it as seriously (and pay as freely) as they did procurement of the vaccine, but I fear it will take a while before public opinion forces them into that, if ever.

--AS
    What would be the Cherry on the cake is the pension tax proposals in the DT today. Lots more would hand in their notice of retirement including myself.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    We need to be realistic. No foreign travel before 2022 maybe 2023 unless absolutely essential.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

--AS

--AS
    Millions have died. Our economy is in tatters. They got it hopelessly wrong on masks, and many other things. And the UK scientific elite either lied or conspired about "lab leak" - which you conveniently choose to ignore

Put the worst offenders in the dock and let a jury decide. They can have legal aid
    It's the government that should be in the dock. There's a wide range of scientific opinion - some turns out to be right, some wrong.

The government has taken the decisions, some of which were shockers.
  • Options

Fpt

Today we shall be mostly talking about Palestine and the Zionists

Early eighties mod outfit, the red boys, call a press conference to announce reunion tour for 2022
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106

I would be very interested in knowing what the highest level quantitative qualification is that Johnson has, and at what grade. O level maths, perhaps? In my only personal interaction with him, where the subject was economics, I had the strong sense of someone for whom numbers, and indeed objective reality, were at best loosely grasped. It helps to explain the lying too, of course.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Leon said:

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

--AS

--AS
    I think that perhaps they would be well advised not to run to microphones blurring the lines between advisors to the government and people seeking to actively make policy.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

I would be very interested in knowing what the highest level quantitative qualification is that Johnson has, and at what grade. O level maths, perhaps? In my only personal interaction with him, where the subject was economics, I had the strong sense of someone for whom numbers, and indeed objective reality, were at best loosely grasped. It helps to explain the lying too, of course.
    Also the very messy personal finances.
  • Options

We need to be realistic. No foreign travel before 2022 maybe 2023 unless absolutely essential.

Absurd

That means the end of the UK foreign travel industry forever. No way they can sustain complete shutdown over several years. It means the loss of millions of jobs and maybe 5-10% GDP. Close Gatwick and Stansted, and so on

If it is reciprocated - and no foreign tourists come here, either - it means the death of central London (likewise Edinburgh, Bath, Cambridge, etc etc etc) and another 5% off GDP. It means a huge Depression

Zero Covidians like you are worse than the disease itself
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited June 2021
    Aha.

The PB Furioso tendency is kicking off. Time for supper.

I have no problem with continuing international travel restrictions - we always knew that would be slow; however I want to see domestic travel restrictions lifted quite quickly.

And I'd far rather be having this 3rd wave now in high summer, rather than in the 4-8 weeks time that is likely for anywhere in Europe in kicks off.

Perhaps also time for an email to the MP.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Good question.

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

Certainly the phrase "cost-benefit analysis" (even one that largely ignores cash and pitches short-ish term health outcomes against medium and longer term ones) seems to have completely disappeared from the language of government.
    I think one thing i find frustrating is there is no sense from within Government of the lockdown in March (and i suppose Dec) 2020 being emergency measures made necessary by an unknown threat and in an unvaccinated world - which should never be repeated except in completely exceptional future circumstances.

What was considered exceptional, is now widely seen as a default response to any future surges in the virus or pressures on the NHS. Where is the serious thinking about alternatives - that can be implemented if necessary if it all goes wrong again? If you don't send out a clear message to all areas of Government that another lockdown is unacceptable, where is the incentive to develop alternatives. Whether it is to find alternative ways to increase medical provision (perhaps greater use of smaller, remote sites), dealing with court backlogs, education, etc etc.
    And if the thinking is not possible within government then were is the engagement with those outside government?

In fact there ARE many outside government who have invested huge amounts of time and energy trying to come up with alternative solutions. Whether they be at airports, hosts of live events, hospitality, etc etc. And yet throughout we've heard a common complaint - Government won't engage, won't commit to supporting or developing solutions, gives assurances and then changes its mind...

No wonder so many are disillusioned.

• Options
    Leon said:

Absurd

That means the end of the UK foreign travel industry forever. No way they can sustain complete shutdown over several years. It means the loss of millions of jobs and maybe 5-10% GDP. Close Gatwick and Stansted, and so on

If it is reciprocated - and no foreign tourists come here, either - it means the death of central London (likewise Edinburgh, Bath, Cambridge, etc etc etc) and another 5% off GDP. It means a huge Depression

Yup, it’s a sledgehammer to crack a nut. We need to learn to live with COVID and vaccines are the way out.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

On Warwick FPT:

--AS

--AS

It's the government that should be in the dock. There's a wide range of scientific opinion - some turns out to be right, some wrong.

The government has taken the decisions, some of which were shockers.
    Why exculpate the scientists? They are on TV daily telling us "masks are forever". Fuck them. If they want this kind of media and political power, then they must shoulder the culpability that comes with it. Otherwise we have created a new kind of Catholic priesthood, pre-Reformation, laying down mores and laws yet enjoying total immunity from any problems they create

Let us have an inquiry into the science AND the politics. The two are inextricably linked, anyhow
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    Leon said:

Absurd

Love you too Leon. It's important to put the interest of the country first.

See you in Cornwall ♥️
This discussion has been closed.