Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After the Portugal decision the front pages are entirely predictable – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2021 in General
imageAfter the Portugal decision the front pages are entirely predictable – politicalbetting.com

The really hard part of all of this for ministers is that the vast majority of adults have now been vaccinated and it becomes hard to make the case for the continuation of strict travel controls. They got the plaudits for the vaccine roll-out and the danger is they could see the opposite over this.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Once we're through offering to over 18 we should implement vax passports
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Pulpstar said:

For foreign travel
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited June 2021
    Mike has nailed it:

"The vast majority of adults have now been vaccinated and it becomes hard to make the case for the continuation of strict travel controls. They got the plaudits for the vaccine roll-out and the danger is they could see the opposite over this.

What many will find hard to understand is why those who have been fully vaccinated will have to be subject to long airport queues and compulsory quarantine on their return from holiday destinations. Surely proof of vaccination should be enough?"

I'm absolutely livid about this. I voted Conservatives (twice) and Green (once) last month. I am mindful right now never to give the Conservatives my support ever again. That's how angry this has made me.

The whole point of double vaccination is that we should have back our freedom. Yes, there will be case rises and some deaths but not on the previous scale and we have to take that hit. The wider damage socially, economically, emotionally, psychologically and physically is incalculable.

This is an utter nonsense. I'm fuming.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

Mike has nailed it:

"The vast majority of adults have now been vaccinated and it becomes hard to make the case for the continuation of strict travel controls. They got the plaudits for the vaccine roll-out and the danger is they could see the opposite over this.

What many will find hard to understand is why those who have been fully vaccinated will have to be subject to long airport queues and compulsory quarantine on their return from holiday destinations. Surely proof of vaccination should be enough?"

I'm absolutely livid about this. I voted Conservatives (twice) and Green (once) last month. I am mindful right now never to give the Conservatives my support ever again. That's how angry this has made me.

The whole point of double vaccination is that we should have back our freedom. Yes, there will be case rises and some deaths but not on the previous scale and we have to take that hit. The wider damage socially, economically, emotionally, psychologically and physically is incalculable.

Yet if the Polling is to be believed the vast majority of Brits support, and continue to support, lockdowns and restrictions to fight the virus.

Of course that may change but there is no sign yet.

It also doesn’t help when the media constantly have zero covid zealots, like this from ‘independent’ SAGE on regularly demanding restrictions are not eased due to the Delta variant.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

For foreign travel
    so much easier said than done.... however EU (rather than UN or other body) will probably be the best bet to start as most UK travellers go there and (b) the mechanisms are pretty much in place. After that it will be a nightmare to administer - China currently only recognised its own vaccine for entry purposes........
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Government supporters will be along soon to blame the media for running stories about new variants while calling for restrictions to be eased, or scientists or independent SAGE. Basically anyone except the government.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Government supporters will be along soon to blame the media for running stories about new variants while calling for restrictions to be eased, or scientists or independent SAGE. Basically anyone except the government.

You've saved us the effort with your partisan nionsense.
  • Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42
    edited June 2021
    In terms of government popularity in the short term, I think if they unlock fully domestically on the 21st, they've certainly got leeway to kaibosh foreign travel, especially as the two can be linked in people's minds (party on in vaxxed fortress Britain this year while the rest of the world catches up with us).

Most people I speak to (I run a busy pub, so speak to lots) are either resigned to this being a summer with no travel, or else have booked something abroad but never held out too much hope it would work out.
  • Options
    Surely the problem is not with amber list countries per se but with the requirements for quarantine and test on return from holiday in one of these countries like, say, Portugal. A Covid test abroad, and two (private) covid tests and quarantine back in England (and presumably something similar for the other Home nations). Could these not be eased for those known by the NHS to have been vaccinated?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

My sympathy on this front is minimal.

The pandemic isn't a new story. It disrupting travel is not unexpected.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Mike has nailed it:

Chill out.. good health is better than a serious risk of catching covid. A sense of perspective is needed. A double vaccination is no guarantee of immunity.
  • Options

Surely the problem is not with amber list countries per se but with the requirements for quarantine and test on return from holiday in one of these countries like, say, Portugal. A Covid test abroad, and two (private) covid tests and quarantine back in England (and presumably something similar for the other Home nations). Could these not be eased for those known by the NHS to have been vaccinated?

Actually the regulations are a little confusing on this point. On returning to England, travellers must quarantine and pay for two Covid tests, but also can be released from quarantine if they pay for one test.

On arrival in England you must:

quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
    take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

Actually the regulations are a little confusing on this point. On returning to England, travellers must quarantine and pay for two Covid tests, but also can be released from quarantine if they pay for one test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list
    Not quite, you still have to book & pay for the two tests on arrival in UK from Amber, but you can have the option of paying for an early release test (extra) whuch releases you early.
    Many folk have booked flights and are in a for a shock on return, it aint cheap (rightly so...)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    edited June 2021

Mike has nailed it:

The interesting thing about Covid is that people have been happy to willingly accept draconian restrictions on their freedom, indicating that they don't really value it all that much. People have descended in to a mad panic over a virus which when all is said and done is just a public health problem and not an existential threat to our survival as a nation. Freedom took thousands of years to build up and just ends in a poorly drafted government edict written in a panic by a conservative government. It is only because of a group of backbench tory MP's that the government are forced to limit its actions in this respect, otherwise this would never end, because control of this nature is addictive and irresistable to those in power, and the public health justification is always there. The actions of the SNP are particularly instructive on this point.

If it takes irrational restrictions on foreign holidays to make people wake up then great; but it will probably need a lot more than that.
  • Options

Not quite, you still have to book & pay for the two tests on arrival in UK from Amber, but you can have the option of paying for an early release test (extra) whuch releases you early.
    Many folk have booked flights and are in a for a shock on return, it aint cheap (rightly so...)
    Yes, that's the puzzle. You must pay for two tests, and also quarantine, but then there is the option to leave quarantine early (after five days) by paying for a test. The impression is the two rules were written independently and without consultation.

And as previously suggested, why is not vaccination status, at least for British residents whose status will be known to the NHS, a factor?

This is not joined-up government.
  • Options
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I lived through a cholera epidemic. Two-fifths of those around me dropped dead within a week. The vaccine was mostly ineffective.

One of those two statements is not in fact my personal experience.

In contrast to 'time to die' there is only one thing I say to Death: 'not today.'

L'Chaim.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

The interesting thing about Covid is that people have been happy to willingly accept draconian restrictions on their freedom, indicating that they don't really value it all that much. People have descended in to a mad panic over a virus which when all is said and done is just a public health problem and not an existential threat to our survival as a nation. Freedom took thousands of years to build up and just ends in a poorly drafted government edict written in a panic by a conservative government. It is only because of a group of backbench tory MP's that the government are forced to limit its actions in this respect, otherwise this would never end, because control of this nature is addictive and irresistable to those in power, and the public health justification is always there. The actions of the SNP are particularly instructive on this point.

If it takes irrational restrictions on foreign holidays to make people wake up then great; but it will probably need a lot more than that.
    Great post
  • Options

Mike has nailed it:

Chill out.. good health is better than a serious risk of catching covid. A sense of perspective is needed. A double vaccination is no guarantee of immunity.
    That's the second person to tell me to chill. TSE told me yesterday to 'calm down dear' which tells me a lot about him.

You are the one needing a sense of perspective. I have received two of the amazing vaccinations and I DON'T CARE if I now risk getting covid. Why? Because I am fit and healthy and with both jabs I'm not going to die of covid. There are 15 to 20 more likely ways in which I could die. I am perfectly well aware that there is no guarantee of immunity. So what? I have criss-crossed the globe all my life, with a host of dangers and many vaccinations to attempt to keep me safe. I've lived through several other pandemics, more deadly than covid. I know full well that none of the vaccinations were guarantees of immunity just as getting in a car, crossing the road, flying on a plane, or eating my toast are not guarantees of my safety.

THAT is the perspective we all now need. Once you are double jabbed you should live your life and cast out this dreadful, disastrous, hideous fear mongering which has reduced people to wobbling wrecks.

So don't tell me to chill. This tory voter is right fucked off and Boris Johnson can stick his government up his arse.

I shan't vote for them ever again.
    Sounds like you should vote for Laurence Fox
    But do you honestly think things would be any better under the Labour party? I think we would have an SNP like situation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    One comment Mike - there will be plenty of people in Batley and Spen who have booked foreign holidays as well. This announcement may cause a few more to shift to the independent candidates and make Labour’s job at holding just a little easier.
  • Options
    Whether people think this is irrational or not, it was always a credible possibility.

Once Parliament returns properly and Government can no longer do things without votes, it'll be interesting to see how this sort of thing changes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

That's the second person to tell me to chill. TSE told me yesterday to 'calm down dear' which tells me a lot about him.

You are the one needing a sense of perspective. I have received two of the amazing vaccinations and I DON'T CARE if I now risk getting covid. Why? Because I am fit and healthy and with both jabs I'm not going to die of covid. There are 15 to 20 more likely ways in which I could die. I am perfectly well aware that there is no guarantee of immunity. So what? I have criss-crossed the globe all my life, with a host of dangers and many vaccinations to attempt to keep me safe. I've lived through several other pandemics, more deadly than covid. I know full well that none of the vaccinations were guarantees of immunity just as getting in a car, crossing the road, flying on a plane, or eating my toast are not guarantees of my safety.

THAT is the perspective we all now need. Once you are double jabbed you should live your life and cast out this dreadful, disastrous, hideous fear mongering which has reduced people to wobbling wrecks.

So don't tell me to chill. This tory voter is right fucked off and Boris Johnson can stick his government up his arse.

But do you honestly think things would be any better under the Labour party?
    Christ, no.

But I do believe the Conservatives are drunk on power and they won't now yield it. It suits them to maintain this dystopian fear-mongering fantasy.

I have always taken a fairly laissez-faire attitude to rules and laws. Nothing major, you understand. The odd bit of speeding now and again. Parking infelicitously. That kind of thing.

Now I find myself becoming militantly anti-Government. Why? Because I see before me the crushing of our civil liberties. At almost every turn this allegedly libertarian Boris Johnson is in fact doing the opposite by his actions. As Michael Gove ironically predicted, once Government steals your freedom you won't ever get it back.

It's appalling.
  • Options
    Mr. Cockney, it's not just the Palpatine Tendency (power... unlimited power!), it's also what Machiavelli wrote about. Specifically, men tend to make mistakes in two ways, first of all by being too far in one direction (complacent at Christmas) and then moving too far the other way as a reaction.

The Government's in a relatively good spot right now and will be wary for both healthcare and political reasons of seeing another outbreak.

And yes, tons of people have been vaccinated, or at least have one jab.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    ydoethur said:

One comment Mike - there will be plenty of people in Batley and Spen who have booked foreign holidays as well. This announcement may cause a few more to shift to the independent candidates and make Labour’s job at holding just a little easier.

There'll be far, far more who have a summer holiday booked in the UK - who will be mighty relieved if on 14th, Boris announces that domestic Covid measures are at an end. That is when, for most, the feel-good factor kicks in. At least in the UK we can have our lives back.

B&S votes on the 17th.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

There'll be far, far more who have a summer holiday booked in the UK - who will be mighty relieved if on 14th, Boris announces that domestic Covid measures are at an end. That is when, for most, the feel-good factor kicks in. At least in the UK we can have our lives back.

B&S votes on the 17th.
    Well I'll state this now and let's see if I'm wrong: I do not believe that on June 21st Boris Johnson will 'give back' all of our internal freedoms.

I put 'give back' in ' ' because it's not his fucking freedom to give. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Thread on the NI protocol TL:dr “”It’s all the UK’s fault”

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1400683894744272901?s=21
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Whether people think this is irrational or not, it was always a credible possibility.

Once Parliament returns properly and Government can no longer do things without votes, it'll be interesting to see how this sort of thing changes.

Of course it was a credible possibility - you could see it coming a mile off. However when 3 weeks ago Shapps was touring the studios saying that the new travel list “traffic light” system was cautiously opening up holidays and shifting back to “personal responsibility/judgements”, but implying that the Govt position was that it really wasn’t encouraging people to visit Amber countries, but should stick to the Green List, that people could assume that the criteria for green list countries should be a bit more robust so that planning anything other than a short trip at short notice wouldn’t be sabotaged at great cost on rather arbitrary criteria which make no real sense, once you actually look at them.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Mike has nailed it:

Chill out! You will have a coronary at this rate.
  • Options

darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

Christ, no.

But I do believe the Conservatives are drunk on power and they won't now yield it. It suits them to maintain this dystopian fear-mongering fantasy.

I have always taken a fairly laissez-faire attitude to rules and laws. Nothing major, you understand. The odd bit of speeding now and again. Parking infelicitously. That kind of thing.

Now I find myself becoming militantly anti-Government. Why? Because I see before me the crushing of our civil liberties. At almost every turn this allegedly libertarian Boris Johnson is in fact doing the opposite by his actions. As Michael Gove ironically predicted, once Government steals your freedom you won't ever get it back.

It's appalling.
    Can I gently suggest you wait until 14th June before you invoke "crushing our civil liberties". If Boris postpones the release that day, you'll be in good company. If he declares War Is Over - at least on the home front - then we get our civil liberties handed back to us, fresh as they ever were.

We wouldn't want people speculating that you are just the latest hyperbolic incarnation of SeanT!
  • Options

Mike has nailed it:

Chill out! You will have a coronary at this rate.
    Isn't it interesting that when someone comes out with a contrary point of view, and express some passion, the only response from some people is an Ad hominem, 'chill out' or 'you're going to have a coronary.'

That's fine.

Yes, I'm passionately angry about this and I voted tory last month. So disregard me all you like but Boris Johnson and the Conservatives are about to start a slide in the polls. A long, slow, decline.

Mark my words. Tell me to chill all you like but you need to stop and reflect.
  • Options

darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

Christ, no.

It's appalling.
    Can I gently suggest you wait until 14th June before you invoke "crushing our civil liberties". If Boris postpones the release that day, you'll be in good company. If he declares War Is Over - at least on the home front - then we get our civil liberties handed back to us, fresh as they ever were.

We wouldn't want people speculating that you are just the latest hyperbolic incarnation of SeanT!
    I don't think SeanT knows what 7am looks like, does he?

Boris Johnson will not declare War Over on the home front 10 days from now. Absolutely guaranteed. He will not fully unlock on June 21st. They're drunk on power.
  • Options
    The Govt seem to now be hanging a major part of their argument on “caution” due to the “Nepalese” variant something about which they freely admit they have no data, no evidence on transmissibility, harmfulness, or vaccine effectiveness. So as a precaution they are assuming “worst case” on all 3. If Govt decisions like this are now based completely on “known unknowns” then they might as well tell people that there is no point in planning for foreign travel ever again.

Because they are basically saying that it doesn’t matter whether vaccines are effective against all variants upon which they have data. There will always be others out there ready to be elevated to a level of “concern” at a moments notice.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The Govt seem to now be hanging a major part of their argument on “caution” due to the “Nepalese” variant something about which they freely admit they have no data, no evidence on transmissibility, harmfulness, or vaccine effectiveness. So as a precaution they are assuming “worst case” on all 3. If Govt decisions like this are now based completely on “known unknowns” then they might as well tell people that there is no point in planning for foreign travel ever again.

Because they are basically saying that it doesn’t matter whether vaccines are effective against all variants upon which they have data. There will always be others out there ready to be elevated to a level of “concern” at a moments notice.

Yep
  • Options

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.
    Well I'll state this now and let's see if I'm wrong: I do not believe that on June 21st Boris Johnson will 'give back' all of our internal freedoms.

I put 'give back' in ' ' because it's not his fucking freedom to give. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Government has had to suspend some of our freedoms during the worst health event in our lifetime. They have had to do that because, whilst most people are sensible and exercise extreme caution, they are put at risk by a sizeable minority who think they have the inalienable freedom to be a dickhead.

It's called responsible government. Hell, there's enough folk on here who are happy to proclaim that same government was irresponsible in not suspending our freedoms much harder, much sooner.

• Options

darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

Christ, no.

It's appalling.

Boris Johnson will not declare War Over on the home front 10 days from now. Absolutely guaranteed. He will not fully unlock on June 21st. They're drunk on power.
    You can take great comfort in one thing: they haven't got the money to keep us locked down. They need us off their furloughed plate and fully out there, unrestricted, earning taxes - pronto.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Tony Connelly is always worth reading.

Looks like Lord Frost is indeed buggering up on the protocol and the EU are considering retaliation measures.
  • Options

darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

Christ, no.

It's appalling.

You can take great comfort in one thing: they haven't got the money to keep us locked down. They need us off their furloughed plate and fully out there, unrestricted, earning taxes - pronto.
    I'm not taking any comfort in this. They know that they can keep some restrictions - just in case etc - whilst bringing the economy back to 'normal'. It's what they think of as a compromise!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    There are 2 linked problems here. Firstly, the majority of holiday makers are quite young and will therefore not be vaccinated at all or at best will too recently have had a single dose. Secondly, we are once again not getting the benefits of our vaccination program.

The link is the lack of pace in our vaccination drive over the last month. It has been immensely disappointing and we are paying the price both domestically with increasing cases and hospitalisations and internationally in that our travel has again been restricted.

The meme that the government has done brilliantly with the roll out of the vaccines is strong and has so far helped the government but I am surprised that people have accepted the current rate of vaccination without more fuss. Only 448k yesterday. Its pathetic and threatens both the 21st June release and holidays. If, as we should have been, we were vaccinating at twice that rate these problems would solve themselves.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    This is the right call by the govt. Anything that stands in the way of domestic reopening on 21st needs to be swept away, because that is the overwhelming priority. And if there’s a variant of concern getting their scientists excited then right now you lock the door.

In a month and a bit all the over 40s will he double vaxxed and all the over 18s vaxxed once, which should knock the stuffing out of any new variant sufficiently to buy time for a booster programme if needed, without non-pharma-intervention. Hit those vaccine hurdles and show the reopening wasn’t a cluster and then it is the right time to talk about loosening external restrictions.
  • Options
    Arrogant comment approaching: unlike most people in this country, and possibly most people on here, I've stared Death in the face many, many, times. I've lived in some very tough and very rough parts of the world where mortality rates were horrendous and, as I mentioned, lived through a cholera epidemic. I've been in some very dangerous situations. I have been attacked by a rioting mob. I've been held up by drunk child soldiers and on another occasion had a gun held to my head. I've used up my nine lives and then some.

Until last year most Brits never really thought about Death. Not much. When it came along it was an unwelcome intruder and a shock. But for the most part it was as sanitised as possible.

Well, Death is the one certainty of life. And you have a choice. Live in fear and under its shadow. Or make the most of every day and enjoy life as much as you can.

That doesn't mean being reckless. None of the aforementioned occasions were by choice. They happened through my job. But I would still live my life to the full in the way I have.

Because the alternative isn't living and it isn't life.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    ydoethur said:

Not a bad outcome for the Government - keeps Starmer in his job and persuades Labour there isn't really a problem with the WWC
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    alex_ said:

They have been criticised for not putting India on the red list when that was exactly how much we knew about the Delta variant. The fact that the Nepal version is Delta+K147N must give rise to concern as it is potentially an escape mutation.

Unfortunately the Government was unclear when advising people whether they should book holidays "only if you are willing to lose the money" should have been the line. Which is why I've booked nothing and am waiting for both the UK position to stabilise and also for rules to be lifted in target countries.
  • Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/politics/ufos-sighting-alien-spacecraft-pentagon.html

Early briefings of Pentagon ufo report. 1200 incidents detailed. Secret US tech ruled out in almost all cases. Foreign tech suspected in “some” cases. Characteristics of objects such that balloons and birds are ruled out.

Conclusion left hanging. Sounds like the conclusion is We don’t know what they are and do not speculate.

Which then presumably invites a new process, this time involving civilian scientists and engineers looking at data in a more transparent manner. Whether the Handsy in Chief has the marbles and courage to give a proper speech being honest about it all I doubt but perhaps he’ll surprise me.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

This is the right call by the govt. Anything that stands in the way of domestic reopening on 21st n

Fancy a bet that they don't lift all restrictions? I bet you now that they won't.
  • Options

Does anyone genuinely think the risk presented by allowing travellers to Portugal is higher than the risk presented by keeping the borders open for India for weeks?

I don’t.

This is a cock-up.

I wouldn't say that this is a cock up. Open borders to India definitely was.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

The interesting thing about Covid is that people have been happy to willingly accept draconian restrictions on their freedom, indicating that they don't really value it all that much.
    I don't think that follows at all.

For a rational individual, the decision is one that weighs both sides of the equation. The key element on the other side of the equation is the medical consequences (for oneself and the knock on risk for friends and family) of catching the virus.

I suspect that people value their freedom highly, but feared dying from the virus even more. Now that the latter fear is fast receding, it is entirely reasonable that people protest more about arbitrary limitations on our freedom.

• Options

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.
    It had better turn out more favourably than the announcement that foreign travel would resume on 17 May has done.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    What was obviously a cock-up was permitting unvaccinated fans to travel to Portugal.

Travel should be based on vaccinations. And David L is absolutely right, our vaccination rate has been pathetic this past month. We should be jabbing 1 million a day, 24/7. Literally day and night.

You think youngsters wouldn't roll their sleeves up at 2am especially if they knew it meant they could go to Ibiza?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

Does anyone genuinely think the risk presented by allowing travellers to Portugal is higher than the risk presented by keeping the borders open for India for weeks?

I don’t.

This is a cock-up.

I did not, and am not intending to, holiday abroad this year.

In fact I am typing from a “shed” (actually it’s very nice) with a buttercup meadow just outside the M25 where I have taken the kids for half term break.

But I do pity those who books travel to Portugal.
    As someone notes upthread, being on the green list should have meant something.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Good morning, everyone.

Some of us have family abroad, work abroad. It’s not just one week of holiday. Step outside your bedroom and realise that now everybody’s life is as narrow as your own.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mike has nailed it:

Asymmetric transmission imposes risks on others. There are large numbers of unvaccinated who have not yet been offered vaccination

Also you could do what my wife has done & just go anyway. Just build the self isolation and cost into your plans and cut your cloth accordingly
  • Options

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I lived through a cholera epidemic. Two-fifths of those around me dropped dead within a week. The vaccine was mostly ineffective.

In contrast to 'time to die' there is only one thing I say to Death: 'not today.'

L'Chaim.

Cholera is easy to treat - you just need water and salts
  • Options
    Of course the very slow rate of vaccination is not willfulness by the government. What has happened is that after a period where we almost took it for granted that they would roll a 6 every time on vaccinations they have come up with a couple of 1s in that large volumes of vaccine that they expected to have has not arrived. I suppose statistically this was likely to happen at some point but the timing is seriously disappointing and I find it bizarre that we can have front pages like those in the thread header with so little discussion of it.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

Yes, that's the puzzle. You must pay for two tests, and also quarantine, but then there is the option to leave quarantine early (after five days) by paying for a test. The impression is the two rules were written independently and without consultation.

And as previously suggested, why is not vaccination status, at least for British residents whose status will be known to the NHS, a factor?

This is not joined-up government.
    Read what swing_voter said, which is correct.

You must pay for and take two tests (on or before day 2 and on or after day 8) and quarantine. You have the option of paying for and taking a third test allowing you to leave quarantine early (on or after day 5). If you do take the additional test and leave quarantine early you must still take the final test on or after day 8. It really is very simple - take two tests and quarantine for 10 days or take 3 tests and leave quarantine early. In what way does that give the impression that these rules were written independently?
  • Options
    Anyway, I shall cart my anger off this forum for the day as apparently expressing my passion (aka fury) with the Government about this isn't terribly welcome.

We will however look back and see the moment before Dom Cummings' parliamentary appearance as the apotheosis of this Government's poll ratings. Yesterday's travel fuck-up fits what Dom said about Boris: he hasn't got a handle on this and his ministers are all pulling in different directions.

They won't fully unlock on June 21st and there will be further restrictions, both domestic and international, ahead throughout this year and into next. It's evidently in their DNA.

One very angry (former) tory voter.

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Some of us have family abroad, work abroad. It’s not just one week of holiday. Step outside your bedroom and realise that now everybody’s life is as narrow as your own.
    Indeed and this is very sad. But most everyone has family and business in this country and they’ve not been able to interact with them unimpeded for over a year. We get that fixed first and foreign travel can follow a couple of month down the line.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    DavidL said:

Of course the very slow rate of vaccination is not willfulness by the government. What has happened is that after a period where we almost took it for granted that they would roll a 6 every time on vaccinations they have come up with a couple of 1s in that large volumes of vaccine that they expected to have has not arrived. I suppose statistically this was likely to happen at some point but the timing is seriously disappointing and I find it bizarre that we can have front pages like those in the thread header with so little discussion of it.

"large volumes of vaccine that they expected to have has not arrived."

First I've heard of this to be honest.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I don’t.

This is a cock-up.

I did not, and am not intending to, holiday abroad this year.

In fact I am typing from a “shed” (actually it’s very nice) with a buttercup meadow just outside the M25 where I have taken the kids for half term break.

But I do pity those who books travel to Portugal.
    As someone notes upthread, being on the green list should have meant something.
    I have no intention of going abroad this year either. It just seems a pretty crazy thing to do in a pandemic and I agree with @Morris_Dancer 's comment downthread that anyone booking such a holiday must surely have appreciated that there was a risk.

But the reason our government spent extra billions on our vaccines was that we would get vaccinated fast so that we could open up our economy and travel with impunity. This is not happening and I share the general frustration about that.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

This is the right call by the govt. Anything that stands in the way of domestic reopening on 21st needs to be swept away, because that is the overwhelming priority. And if there’s a variant of concern getting their scientists excited then right now you lock the door.

In a month and a bit all the over 40s will he double vaxxed and all the over 18s vaxxed once, which should knock the stuffing out of any new variant sufficiently to buy time for a booster programme if needed, without non-pharma-intervention. Hit those vaccine hurdles and show the reopening wasn’t a cluster and then it is the right time to talk about loosening external restrictions.

It would be extremely illogical for the Government to have taken the decision it did over Portugal (which let's face it, was based on a "spike" in case numbers, whatever they claim about the circulating of unknown 'variants' - if case number hadn't gone up, they wouldn't have done anything), and continue with the domestic road map on June 21st.

That's not to definitely say it won't happen, but it would be extremely illogical given what is currently happening to UK case numbers. It makes no real sense to say that we can disregard info on case numbers in this country because of the extent to which we are vaccinated, but not make decisions on people travelling from abroad on the same basis (and remember - the restrictions are on people coming here, not people leaving this country - that is just a knock on corollary). If UK vaccination protects against rising case numbers here, then UK vaccination protects against people coming here from places with rising case numbers abroad.
  • Options

So instead of using the joint committee to work for a solution they are going to use it to shout at the UK? That’s constructive.

And it’s laughably one sided reporting… the state frustration at “refusal to consider an SPS agreement” but forget to add the words “containing dynamic alignment”. The UL would be fine with an SPS agreement based on alignment
  • Options

I don’t.

This is a cock-up.

The risks of being in Portugal appear broadly equivalent to the risks of being in the UK at the moment, based on latest case rates.

We don't seem to know much about this so-called Nepalese variant, but there's no data that it presents any special risk. Indeed I saw it described as a minor tweak of the existing Indian variant (although the difference between a sub-variant and another variant eludes me), with which we are already awash.

The act of flying to and from Portugal does carry some additional risk, for sure, but then there are flights arriving at our airports still from all over, including many criss-crossing within the UK, and no-one seems particularly concerned about limiting this risk.

It's been the case for centuries that during a pandemic many people instinctively try and shun anything foreign, and this obsession with stopping travel to and from relatively safe destinations appears to come from the same mould.

Many of the tourists interviewed this morning make the point that they feel safer in Portugal because the regulations and protocols are more widely observed and enforced than they are at home, which is the same feeling I had travelling Germany and Italy last September.

• Options
    Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

The place where I was there was no ORS. And getting sufficient fluids into people who are spewing it out from every orifice is the sort of comment from someone sitting in their comfy armchair who has never been in the situation. Even when we managed to get saline drips in, it was not guaranteed they would survive.

If you don't know what you're talking about, which you don't, belt up.

p.s. although I will mention a bemusing aside. There is a theory that you can stick a line into a coconut and then I/v. We never quite got that far but we very nearly did.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

For foreign travel
    so much easier said than done.... however EU (rather than UN or other body) will probably be the best bet to start as most UK travellers go there and (b) the mechanisms are pretty much in place. After that it will be a nightmare to administer - China currently only recognised its own vaccine for entry purposes........
    Not usually queues to go to China though, Europe is key and then USA/Canada, rest are not much of a bother maybe Aust/NZ
  • Options

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.

Government has had to suspend some of our freedoms during the worst health event in our lifetime. They have had to do that because, whilst most people are sensible and exercise extreme caution, they are put at risk by a sizeable minority who think they have the inalienable freedom to be a dickhead.

It's called responsible government. Hell, there's enough folk on here who are happy to proclaim that same government was irresponsible in not suspending our freedoms much harder, much sooner.

Spot on
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There are 2 linked problems here. Firstly, the majority of holiday makers are quite young and will therefore not be vaccinated at all or at best will too recently have had a single dose. Secondly, we are once again not getting the benefits of our vaccination program.

The link is the lack of pace in our vaccination drive over the last month. It has been immensely disappointing and we are paying the price both domestically with increasing cases and hospitalisations and internationally in that our travel has again been restricted.

The meme that the government has done brilliantly with the roll out of the vaccines is strong and has so far helped the government but I am surprised that people have accepted the current rate of vaccination without more fuss. Only 448k yesterday. Its pathetic and threatens both the 21st June release and holidays. If, as we should have been, we were vaccinating at twice that rate these problems would solve themselves.

I wonder whether AZ is quietly diverting some of its vaccines elsewhere to be honest
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

What was obviously a cock-up was permitting unvaccinated fans to travel to Portugal.

Travel should be based on vaccinations. And David L is absolutely right, our vaccination rate has been pathetic this past month. We should be jabbing 1 million a day, 24/7. Literally day and night.

You think youngsters wouldn't roll their sleeves up at 2am especially if they knew it meant they could go to Ibiza?

In my experience youngsters really want jabs. They just cant get them yet. My Facebook feed is full of 20somethings complaining about still not being offered a vaccine.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Charles said:

Mike has nailed it:

Asymmetric transmission imposes risks on others. There are large numbers of unvaccinated who have not yet been offered vaccination

Also you could do what my wife has done & just go anyway. Just build the self isolation and cost into your plans and cut your cloth accordingly
    As ever though it will not impact the rich, ordinary people will not be able to afford all the tests and additional non paid days off work etc.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

I wonder whether AZ is quietly diverting some of its vaccines elsewhere to be honest
    Don't really see what AZ has to do with it. You can't get it if you're U40.
  • Options

Arrogant comment approaching: unlike most people in this country, and possibly most people on here, I've stared Death in the face many, many, times. I've lived in some very tough and very rough parts of the world where mortality rates were horrendous and, as I mentioned, lived through a cholera epidemic. I've been in some very dangerous situations. I have been attacked by a rioting mob. I've been held up by drunk child soldiers and on another occasion had a gun held to my head. I've used up my nine lives and then some.

Until last year most Brits never really thought about Death. Not much. When it came along it was an unwelcome intruder and a shock. But for the most part it was as sanitised as possible.

Well, Death is the one certainty of life. And you have a choice. Live in fear and under its shadow. Or make the most of every day and enjoy life as much as you can.

That doesn't mean being reckless. None of the aforementioned occasions were by choice. They happened through my job. But I would still live my life to the full in the way I have.

Because the alternative isn't living and it isn't life.

I thought there were three certainties in life… death, taxes… and nurses
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    I was a little concerned about the recent absence of hysteria steeped morning disquisitions by the poster known as Mysticrose (a ‘successful’ author I believe?). I see my concern was misplaced.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

darkage said:

Mike has nailed it:

Christ, no.

It's appalling.

Course he knows what seven am looks like - but only from the other side...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

That would certainly explain the apparent mystery of why many under-40s on the island have been left out to hang for over three weeks, denied the AZN and told that there isn't any alternative available (at the one main vaccination site) on the island. If it were simply a matter of ferrying some Moderna over, or procuring the storage conditions for Pfizer (which some local GP practices had for the oldies, and are probably barely using now) then surely it would have been done straight away?

The simplest and most logical explanation is that we are up against supply limitations and therefore moving a load of different vaccine onto the island would have meant finding somewhere else to take it from.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

Supply is higher than the rate of vaccination currently. We've now tipped into demand issues as 30-39 year olds are busier and more difficult to book into the available daytime slots. The government should really just open up to all 18+ ASAP so capacity utilisation hits close to 100% again. A friend of mine has booked her first dose for next weekend as it was the first evening/weekend slot available. She did this last week.

It's really frustrating because we could potentially double the first dose rate with more evening appointment availablity but the government is just ignoring this need and trying to cram busy under 40s into the 6pm-8pm and reduced weekend capacity appointments.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

In my experience youngsters really want jabs. They just cant get them yet. My Facebook feed is full of 20somethings complaining about still not being offered a vaccine.
    In Leicester anyone over 18 can get the Pfizer as a walk-in at the moment. Fox Jr did yesterday. I don't see why this is not being encouraged nationally, particularly in light of people's summer plans.

Many European countries exempt the double vaccinated from quarantine. Once it is open to all adults we could do the same here.
  • Options

Looks like Lord Frost is indeed buggering up on the protocol and the EU are considering retaliation measures.
    The reality was that the NI protocol was never acceptable and was never going to work. It was accepted to get the deal over the line but I seriously question if we ever meant it or whether we expected the "temporary" derogations to go on indefinitely.

I therefore do not think that Frost has "buggered up" the protocol, he has simply said that it will not work and is not acceptable to us. That puts us in breach but finding a response to that by the EU that does not amount to self harm will be tricky.

The EU has run a surplus of the thick end of £90bn of surplus in goods with the UK for a long time. That is starting to change fairly fast and the more restrictions they put on the faster it will change. If, as was being alleged yesterday, they allow "red tape" to increase the cost of food supplied by them we will simply buy our food somewhere else. The EU is currently losing far more trade than we are. Do they really want to make that even worse?
  • Options
    Crap weather alert: We have it on the island at the moment, dry-running it for the rest of the South East who will have it soon.
  • Options

Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

The place where I was there was no ORS. And getting sufficient fluids into people who are spewing it out from every orifice is the sort of comment from someone sitting in their comfy armchair who has never been in the situation. Even when we managed to get saline drips in, it was not guaranteed they would survive.

p.s. although I will mention a bemusing aside. There is a theory that you can stick a line into a coconut and then I/v. We never quite got that far but we very nearly did.
    I spent 10 years working with LSHTM on tropical diseases but was not on the front line. So I’ve picked up a bit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Possibly, although my wife had her second AZ on Tuesday. Has the bullying and hysterical nonsense by the EU worked? That would be annoying.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.

All that is true.

But in the United States of America - a place where Delta Covid also roams - there is not even the slightest suggestion that restrictions will last beyond the middle of this month.

In every State across the US, restrictions are being removed... permanently. Indeed, restrictions have been being removed for about 10 weeks now.

Domestic and international air travel is returning, with the number of flights between the US and Mexico almost double the level of January. Total passenger volume is back to 2 million passengers a day - that's only a smidgen below the levels of 2019, and up 700% year-over-year.

And you know what's happening to hospitalisations and deaths. They're continuing to fall.
  • Options

Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

It is indeed. Cholera loses a hell of a lot more fluid than an ordinary gastroenteritis.

My top tip for more minor gastro-enteritis for travelers is full sugar sodas and a large packet of crisps. The sugar helps with absorption of the salt. Feel better within hours.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Mike has nailed it:

As ever though it will not impact the rich, ordinary people will not be able to afford all the tests and additional non paid days off work etc.
    Life was ever thus.

But if people really want 2 weeks abroad they can just take the quarantine time out of their remaining holiday time (admittedly that doesn’t work for gig workers but thats a much bigger abuse that needs to be fixed)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

alex_ said:

They have been criticised for not putting India on the red list when that was exactly how much we knew about the Delta variant. The fact that the Nepal version is Delta+K147N must give rise to concern as it is potentially an escape mutation.

Unfortunately the Government was unclear when advising people whether they should book holidays "only if you are willing to lose the money" should have been the line. Which is why I've booked nothing and am waiting for both the UK position to stabilise and also for rules to be lifted in target countries.
    Real question:

I thought that the Nepal version had been shown not to exist the other day, or did I miss something?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

moonshine said:

It would be extremely illogical for the Government to have taken the decision it did over Portugal (which let's face it, was based on a "spike" in case numbers, whatever they claim about the circulating of unknown 'variants' - if case number hadn't gone up, they wouldn't have done anything), and continue with the domestic road map on June 21st.

That's not to definitely say it won't happen, but it would be extremely illogical given what is currently happening to UK case numbers. It makes no real sense to say that we can disregard info on case numbers in this country because of the extent to which we are vaccinated, but not make decisions on people travelling from abroad on the same basis (and remember - the restrictions are on people coming here, not people leaving this country - that is just a knock on corollary). If UK vaccination protects against rising case numbers here, then UK vaccination protects against people coming here from places with rising case numbers abroad.
    I’m not aware that they give us the data regularly but we must be sequencing the greater proportion of positive test results in the Uk. There’s now early data on the efficacy of our vaccines against the variants in widest circulation in this country, with two doses doing the job against the Indian variant but one seemingly a bit weaker.

They don’t have good data on whatever new variant is circulating in Portugal.

To me the policy should be simple at this point. We use vaccination to return to normal domestically while keeping the backdoor shut. As other countries reach herd immunity through vaccination we open up travel to them, probably with a requirement that any travellers incoming or outgoing are double vaxxed. For other countries where new variants are still popping up, well we’ll have to wait until 2022 when they have their house in order.

Other posters are right that there’s no strategic thinking to any of this, it’s all just reactionary bollocks. The government should be clear: we will do everything in our power to open fully in June and ensure no domestic winter restrictions. And this is how we will achieve it...

Instead it’s all wishy washy “yes laura people deserve a holiday”.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The reality was that the NI protocol was never acceptable and was never going to work. It was accepted to get the deal over the line but I seriously question if we ever meant it or whether we expected the "temporary" derogations to go on indefinitely.

I therefore do not think that Frost has "buggered up" the protocol, he has simply said that it will not work and is not acceptable to us. That puts us in breach but finding a response to that by the EU that does not amount to self harm will be tricky.

The EU has run a surplus of the thick end of £90bn of surplus in goods with the UK for a long time. That is starting to change fairly fast and the more restrictions they put on the faster it will change. If, as was being alleged yesterday, they allow "red tape" to increase the cost of food supplied by them we will simply buy our food somewhere else. The EU is currently losing far more trade than we are. Do they really want to make that even worse?
    It’s Frost’s protocol that he is now saying won’t work. That’s either gross incompetence or gross deceit.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.
    C&A votes on 17th
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

B&S votes on the 17th.

All that is true.

But in the United States of America - a place where Delta Covid also roams - there is not even the slightest suggestion that restrictions will last beyond the middle of this month.

In every State across the US, restrictions are being removed... permanently. Indeed, restrictions have been being removed for about 10 weeks now.

Domestic and international air travel is returning, with the number of flights between the US and Mexico almost double the level of January. Total passenger volume is back to 2 million passengers a day - that's only a smidgen below the levels of 2019, and up 700% year-over-year.

And you know what's happening to hospitalisations and deaths. They're continuing to fall.
    I read this, as well as news of opening up in Europe, and I fear we are squandering our vaccine success.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So the Oven Ready Deal was sold on a false promise. Welcome to the world of Brexit where our word is no longer our bond, it is worth nothing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

I spent 10 years working with LSHTM on tropical diseases but was not on the front line. So I’ve picked up a bit.
    Really? Which diseases did you pick up?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    moonshine said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/politics/ufos-sighting-alien-spacecraft-pentagon.html

Early briefings of Pentagon ufo report. 1200 incidents detailed. Secret US tech ruled out in almost all cases. Foreign tech suspected in “some” cases. Characteristics of objects such that balloons and birds are ruled out.

Conclusion left hanging. Sounds like the conclusion is We don’t know what they are and do not speculate.

Which then presumably invites a new process, this time involving civilian scientists and engineers looking at data in a more transparent manner. Whether the Handsy in Chief has the marbles and courage to give a proper speech being honest about it all I doubt but perhaps he’ll surprise me.

The report says what that there are things on video that we can't explain with our current technology.

Which is rather a long way away from there are aliens out there.

• Options

DavidL said:

It’s Frost’s protocol that he is now saying won’t work. That’s either gross incompetence or gross deceit.
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. I think you should allow for the distinct possibility that it's both.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

An acute case of nepotism and chronic name-dropping. Both incurable, sadly.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Lol. The English language paper of record briefs the findings of a US government security assessment. Which concludes there are high tech craft on our planet that are not American and not foreign.

Pb: when can I go on holiday?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

The report says what that there are things on video that we can't explain with our current technology.

Which is rather a long way away from there are aliens out there.

Robert your head is in the sand on this.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

L'Chaim.

Stupid fucking comment.

An acute case of nepotism and chronic name-dropping. Both incurable, sadly.
    Norman St John Stevas was still the best:

'One should not be a name dropper, as Her Majesty said to me yesterday.'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Anyone been watching the vg Road to Partition on BBC2? I knew some of the events but it was striking how close to a Balkan style situation Ireland was in 1916-22: murder, assassination, massacres, rebellion, civil war, ethnic cleansing, state killing.
    As one historian put it (I paraphrase), partition was not a solution rather it put the problem in a deep freeze, and sooner or later problems have to come out of the deep freeze.
  • Options
    MattW said:

alex_ said:

Real question:

I thought that the Nepal version had been shown not to exist the other day, or did I miss something?
    Doesn’t really matter if it exists or not. Or whether it was really from Nepal (one case in Nepal genome sequenced I believe). The Govt have it as an excuse, appropriately labelled with a country that was in the news as “having it bad”, and everything else follows from there...
  • Options

DavidL said:

"large volumes of vaccine that they expected to have has not arrived."

First I've heard of this to be honest.
    Novavax is one example. In March the arrival of 60m does were supposed to be imminent:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-56836877

But now the registration has been deferred to Q3: https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/novavax_announces_further_delays_for_regulatory_filings_of_covid-19_vaccine_1369844

No one's fault, these things happen but it hasn't helped.
This discussion has been closed.