Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After what’s being seen as a good interview with Piers Morgan Starmer recovers a touch in the “Next

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462

Toms said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Why I'm disinviting my unvaccinated friends to dinner parties.

If you won’t have the vaccine, you’re no friend of mine.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/wont-have-vaccine-no-friend-mine/

Wouldn't it be simpler not to invite them in the first place?
    What an odd article.
    1) While I'm as enthusiastic a vaxxer as the next man, this comes across as more than a little holier-than-thou.
    2) Do dinner parties exist any more? My parents used to have them. But that was back in the days when restaurants were very expensive and not very good. I don't think I've ever been to a dinner party. I have eaten my tea at other people's houses, but I wouldn't have called it a party.
    3) IRL, I know no-one who won't have the vaccine. Well, possibly I do, but they haven't said. This woman appears to have anti-vaxxers coming out of here ears.

And 4, as Robert says above.

This woman has taken a position I agree with (you should have the vaccine) irritated me with it.
    The absence of dinner parties has been one of the great disappointments of adult life. I'm not sure I've ever been to a proper one (as opposed to some food and drinks at someone's house, followed by drunken singing in the kitchen, which doesn't count). Being a fully signed up member of the Metropolitan Liberal Elite I thought I would be up to my ears in prawn cocktails and After Eights by now, but nothing doing.
    Wait, food, drinks and then drunken antics don't count as dinner parties? Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years!
    If someone hasn't asked you to pass the port at some point during the evening, it doesn't count as a 'proper' dinner party.
    Last time I drank neat port was at my university graduation.

First time I drank neat port was at my university graduation.
    Isn't port something you put on ice cream?
    At the pub, mix it with Blue WKD and you have a "Cheeky Vimto".

Probably doesn't go down well with the 'dinner party set'.
    I once tried to explain Cheeky Vimto to American colleagues but they could not get past the fact we had a soft drink that is an anagram of vomit.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Why I'm disinviting my unvaccinated friends to dinner parties.

If you won’t have the vaccine, you’re no friend of mine.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/wont-have-vaccine-no-friend-mine/

Wouldn't it be simpler not to invite them in the first place?
    What an odd article.
    1) While I'm as enthusiastic a vaxxer as the next man, this comes across as more than a little holier-than-thou.
    2) Do dinner parties exist any more? My parents used to have them. But that was back in the days when restaurants were very expensive and not very good. I don't think I've ever been to a dinner party. I have eaten my tea at other people's houses, but I wouldn't have called it a party.
    3) IRL, I know no-one who won't have the vaccine. Well, possibly I do, but they haven't said. This woman appears to have anti-vaxxers coming out of here ears.

And 4, as Robert says above.

This woman has taken a position I agree with (you should have the vaccine) irritated me with it.
    The absence of dinner parties has been one of the great disappointments of adult life. I'm not sure I've ever been to a proper one (as opposed to some food and drinks at someone's house, followed by drunken singing in the kitchen, which doesn't count). Being a fully signed up member of the Metropolitan Liberal Elite I thought I would be up to my ears in prawn cocktails and After Eights by now, but nothing doing.
    Wait, food, drinks and then drunken antics don't count as dinner parties? Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years!
    If someone hasn't asked you to pass the port at some point during the evening, it doesn't count as a 'proper' dinner party.
    Last time I drank neat port was at my university graduation.

First time I drank neat port was at my university graduation.
    You water it with brandy? (The only possible non-weird option)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,381
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, Covid 19 seems a strange virus to emerge from gain-of-function research.

That would result in either a more infectious, or a more deadly disease.

Why Covid19 has been so incredibly effective at spreading around the world has been for almost the opposite reason: it takes a considerable time after initial infection before there is enough virus in a person's system to be detectable.

The result of this is that carriers have spread far and wide, without realising they're carriers, and without being able to be detected as carriers.

If you were, however, funded by the CCP and told to use gain-of-function to create a coronavirus with asymptomatic transmission - for use as a bioweapon - this is what you’d get
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Rubbish England performance. There is never any tempo, never any creativity, it is like over 50s walking football.

I notice booing of taking of the knee again. Will be interesting to see what happens next season if they carry on and full stadiums, I think will we see some booing and some clapping.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, Covid 19 seems a strange virus to emerge from gain-of-function research.

Why Covid19 has been so incredibly effective at spreading around the world has been for almost the opposite reason: it takes a considerable time after initial infection before there is enough virus in a person's system to be detectable.

The result of this is that carriers have spread far and wide, without realising they're carriers, and without being able to be detected as carriers.

If you were, however, funded by the CCP and told to use gain-of-function to create a coronavirus with asymptomatic transmission - for use as a bioweapon - this is what you’d get
    No it is not.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2021
    Would it make sense for a lab to engineer a dangerous virus without also finding a antidote?
    Or should one regard the general populace as expendable and not admit to the possession of a antidote?
  • Options
    Lib Dems calling on Williamson to resign.
    : "Sir Kevan was a good appointment and many of us were cheering him on. The Government’s pitiful offer... was an insult to him and to our young people. It really is the last straw - the Education Secretary has to go."
  • Options
    Another nice evening...another knife fight...

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1400175283500691456?s=20
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Toms said:

Would it make sense for a lab to engineer a dangerous virus without also finding a antidote?
    Or should one regard the general populace as expendable and not admit to the possession of a antidote?

What is the CCP's social welfare function?

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,073

: "Sir Kevan was a good appointment and many of us were cheering him on. The Government’s pitiful offer... was an insult to him and to our young people. It really is the last straw - the Education Secretary has to go."

Why it’s Gavin Williamson who needs to go (but won’t)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/03/meet-the-new-breed-of-cabinet-minister-too-rubbish-to-fail
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Scott_xP said:

I'm told ministers will tomorrow discuss whether to put Portugal back on the amber list 😬

No denials from the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/02/uk-to-give-quarantine-free-travel-status-to-handful-of-new-places-say-sources

If we already have the Indian strain of the virus in the UK which we do, what is the advantage in stopping people from Portugal or anywhere else? If we want to get of other people bad list, then lets start by reducing the number of places on our bad list.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/03/meet-the-new-breed-of-cabinet-minister-too-rubbish-to-fail
    Will be interesting to know in this case if it is Williamson fault...or if Sunak wouldn't release the purse strings.
  • Options
    Toms said:

This is why it would not make sense as part of a BW programme. Rule number 1, have protection for your own troops.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

I notice booing of taking of the knee again. Will be interesting to see what happens next season if they carry on and full stadiums, I think will we see some booing and some clapping.

They can’t back down now as it would look like they’re letting the dissenters win. So we’re in for a fun few weeks in August and September.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Will be interesting to know in this case if it is Williamson fault...or if Sunak wouldn't release the purse strings.
    In this case he's done nothing wrong. I'm as astonished as you are! Now it may turn out in hindsight that he is at fault here, but just at the moment it's not the case.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I approve this message.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

They can’t back down now as it would look like they’re letting the dissenters win. So we’re in for a fun few weeks in August and September.
    They would be much better to learn from the NFL approach. Come up with a really positive campaign that is much wider than BLM (even though they say no no its not that, that is what has become associated with).

The NFL "Inspire Change" is a much wider and more positive campaign than BLM, Defund the Police, Topple the Statues.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Scott_xP said:

You would have thought that there should have been some attempt to establish the length of the purse strings at the start. And if Williamson gave him a brief without establishing that (or at least a ballpark figure that wasn't out by a factor of 10!) then he is an idiot (but then we know that).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I'm told ministers will tomorrow discuss whether to put Portugal back on the amber list 😬

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/02/uk-to-give-quarantine-free-travel-status-to-handful-of-new-places-say-sources

At least there's been no major events recently when thousands of travellers would have gone and mingled in Portugal with thousands of other people from across the world.
    To be fair (and i don't know the extent of the truth and/or how effectively it was policed) but i read that the fans travelling to the Champions league match were travelling and limited to something of a bubble to avoid mixing with the wider local population.

But Max's point stands. If there is a suggestion that Portugal should be on the amber list, then frankly there's no hope of serious lifting of restrictions on June 21st. It would just be completely inconsistent.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

This is right. Civilian gain of function research has been done primarily in relation to flu and other known zoonotic diseases to help predict where the next human-infecting strain will come from. Generally this has related to transmission and host range, not to increased morbidity or mortality.

Generally, gain of function relates to a number of changes:
    1. change of host range
    2. change of transmissibility
    3. change in antigenicity (evasion of existing immune responses and vaccines)
    4. change in virulence

It is the first three that most interest the Peter Daszaks - and the Anthony Faucis - of the world.

Viral loads and duration and timing of infectiousness are not usually the focus of this work.
  • Options
    I wonder if Israel has their equivalent of Brenda from Bristol. Less than an hour before it’s back to the polls...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,073
    Omnium said:

In this case he's done nothing wrong. I'm as astonished as you are! Now it may turn out in hindsight that he is at fault here, but just at the moment it's not the case.

He should have resigned instead of touring the studios defending this abomination
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Today, Health Sec @HumzaYousaf said 10 children age 0-9 were in hospital last week "because of Covid". A serious claim. We asked Scot Gov for
    - The basis of the figures
    - If any are seriously ill
    - If Mr Yousaf was definitely correct

They came back with this, 7 hours later:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1400156215750111242?s=20
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

This is right. Civilian gain of function research has been done primarily in relation to flu and other known zoonotic diseases to help predict where the next human-infecting strain will come from. Generally this has related to transmission and host range, not to increased morbidity or mortality.

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

It is the first three that most interest the Peter Daszaks - and the Anthony Faucis - of the world.
    Great. They’re making brand new viruses that can evade vaccines. Brilliant.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

Flu does that every season, as do many enveloped viruses.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimT said:

Toms said:

This is why it would not make sense as part of a BW programme. Rule number 1, have protection for your own troops.
    Your own *troops*; the white clad clones in those Wuhan videos looked thoroughly well protected. Civilians not so much.

Just rounding lands end under sail on a Falmouth pilot cutter btw. Feel better than I have for 15 months
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimT said:

Toms said:

Your own *troops*; the white clad clones in those Wuhan videos looked thoroughly well protected. Civilians not so much.

Just rounding lands end under sail on a Falmouth pilot cutter btw. Feel better than I have for 15 months
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525

Scott_xP said:

Though if Sir Kevan's resignation letter is to be believed, the PM knew of the problem last week;

When we met last week, I told you that I do not believe it will be possible to deliver a successful recovery without significantly greater support than the government has, to date, indicated it intends to provide...

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-sir-kevan-collins-resigns-over-catch-plan

Clearly the PM has a lot on- he had a wedding to plan to for starters. But if the Prime blooming Minister can't bang treasury heads together on something like this, what is the point in the Prime blooming Minister?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Omnium said:

He should have resigned instead of touring the studios defending this abomination
    Currently it's just one plan against another. I don't know, you don't know, and he doesn't know quite how these plans might work out. We just have to see.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

At least there's been no major events recently when thousands of travellers would have gone and mingled in Portugal with thousands of other people from across the world.
    To be fair (and i don't know the extent of the truth and/or how effectively it was policed) but i read that the fans travelling to the Champions league match were travelling and limited to something of a bubble to avoid mixing with the wider local population.

But Max's point stands. If there is a suggestion that Portugal should be on the amber list, then frankly there's no hope of serious lifting of restrictions on June 21st. It would just be completely inconsistent.
    The news seemed to have plenty of images of them mingling in pubs.

Seems unlikely to have done that in a bubble.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Omnium said:

He was bloody useless on Sky this morning.

Which is unsurprising, he's bloody useless full stop.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

Envy you being on the water off Cornwall.

By protection in a live agent BW context, you're really not talking PPE, but vaccines or medical prophylaxis, of which neither existed at the time of the Wuhan outbreak.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Toms said:

I hesitate to appeal to authority but the estimable SeanT, once a villein of this fief, posited the idea the Chinese made this as a bioweapon and intended to make a vaccine - but the bug leaked far too early.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-Id-write-covid-the-thriller
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

‘Gain of function’ research is over. Killed by Covid
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

Nah. It is just starting. It might change its name. But it is here to stay. It may move largely in silico, but there will still be some wet work.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

The news seemed to have plenty of images of them mingling in pubs.

Seems unlikely to have done that in a bubble.
    But even so, how many British people are out there at the moment, probably doing far more mingling with the local population than would have occurred with a few thousand football fans mixing almost entirely amongst themselves, for one day only, and in the open air? It's like saying that Cheltenham was the cause of the first wave, and ignoring every other packed environment that hundreds of thousands of people would have been mixing in (outdoors AND indoors) at the same time.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Although I lean toward the lab leak theory (and have for some time), what difference does it make?

Regardless of how it started, China attempted a cover up for a month or more, and essentially let it loose on the rest of the world.

They should be paying reparations.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

Nah. It is just starting. It might change its name. But it is here to stay.
    Nah. The outcry at the end of this will be monumental. The idea we will allow tiny-dicked scientists to go back in their poxy labs to create even more, brand new, extra-dangerous viruses, is preposterous. The scientists will be lucky to escape jail
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

A competent and confident minister could have threatened to resign if the funds weren't released.

If the Education Secretary is willing to accept piss all and tour the studios like its a great victory then he needs to take responsibility.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

Nah. The outcry at the end of this will be monumental. The idea we will allow tiny-dicked scientists to go back in their poxy labs to create even more, brand new, extra-dangerous viruses, is preposterous. The scientists will be lucky to escape jail
    Still 70:30?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

A competent and confident minister could have threatened to resign if the funds weren't released.

If the Education Secretary is willing to accept piss all and tour the studios like its a great victory then he needs to take responsibility.
    In the case of Gavin Williamson, he'd probably have more change of getting the money if he threatened not to resign.
  • Options
    It is not the “working class” who voted for the Tories.

It is the elderly, who tend to be concentrated in economically backward areas like Hartlepool.

• Options

Although I lean toward the lab leak theory (and have for some time), what difference does it make?

Regardless of how it started, China attempted a cover up for a month or more, and essentially let it loose on the rest of the world.

They should be paying reparations.

It makes a huge difference in multiple ways. How we treat future pandemics, how we police science, how we deal with China.

Tho I agree with you that China is already guilty on numerous charges, and there must be a reckoning whatever we unearth about the origin of the bug
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

1. change of host range
    4. change in virulence

Still 70:30?
    After the Fauci emails, maybe 75:25
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

It is the elderly, who tend to be concentrated in economically backward areas like Hartlepool.

I thought the Tories had a huge lead in C2DEs?
  • Options
    This is not a convincing England performance
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Leon did you see that the WaPo went back and changed an old headline about the lab leak from “debunked” to “debated”.
  • Options

@Leon did you see that the WaPo went back and changed an old headline about the lab leak from “debunked” to “debated”.

I did. And Vox stealth-edited one of their ‘lab leak conspiracy theory’ articles. Shameless
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Yes, working class people stop being working class when they become pensioners now apparently. Even though they’re all on state benefits
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

Hence voting to preserve their own wealth and ethnic hygiene at the expense of their grandkids’ life chances.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    edited June 2021

That seems like an odd statement. Does class no longer matter once people get old? And even if class is indeed less significant than age, how would it be inaccurate to acknowledge that, but still note what the vote by class was including those who are retired?

This seems like one of those situations where multiple things are true at the same time - old people vote Tory, and working class people vote Tory. Focusing on the actual working age vote may or may not be reasonable, but would surely be a seperate point, not a rebuttal.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Leon said:

This is not a convincing England performance

It's firmly convinced me.
    They'll not win the Euros.
  • Options

Today, Health Sec @HumzaYousaf said 10 children age 0-9 were in hospital last week "because of Covid". A serious claim. We asked Scot Gov for

link not working, what did they come back with?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That seems like an odd statement. Does class no longer matter once people get old? And even if class is indeed less significant than age, how would it be inaccurate to acknowledge that, but still note what the vote by class was including those who are retired?
    Read the accompanying article.
    Low income working voters did not vote Tory.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2021/06/labour-not-conservatives-was-largest-party-among-low-income-workers-2019
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

Hence voting to preserve their own wealth and ethnic hygiene at the expense of their grandkids’ life chances.
    What you want to see is a poll of working-age population only that is broken down by class. I don't think the data you cite is sufficient for your claim.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It is the latest excuse for left wingers to try and wriggle out if the fact the working class vote is no longer their property. A Brexit induced theory
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, working class people stop being working class when they become pensioners now apparently. Even though they’re all on state benefits
    Read the article and stop thy douchery.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2021/06/labour-not-conservatives-was-largest-party-among-low-income-workers-2019
  • Options

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

The grandkids who inherit their wealth?
  • Options

isam said:

Heard it all before when Remain voters wanted Leave to be a posh thing
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

The grandkids who inherit their wealth?
    Those who have wealthy grandparents yes.
    Otherwise you’re fooked.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Rumours that Johnson will put back the 21st unlocking stage...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h
    Then they face the anger of the Nation, this indicates they have no belief in the vaccine.
    It will signal that normality can just be pushed back every time scientists kick and scream on TV.

This will be unforgivable
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

What you want to see is a poll of working-age population only that is broken down by class. I don't think the data you cite is sufficient for your claim.
    Article contains such data.
    Read and let the scales fall from your eyes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

link not working, what did they come back with?
    "The information the Health Secretary referenced was preliminary data provided to track the impact of COVID-19 across Scotland. We continue to work closely with Public Health Scotland to develop data for reporting in the weekly COVID-19 statistical publication

Background:

Details of individual patients conditions cannot be disclosed for patient confidentiality reasons"

So basically they gave a non-reply reply
  • Options

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

There may be some truth in that if the Labour Party under Corbyn was offering the voters some radical generational redistribution policy. But I don’t think they did.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

kle4 said:

Read the accompanying article.
    Low income working voters did not vote Tory.

The point you initially made was it was not the 'working class' who voted Tory, now you focus on low income working voters. I can believe that point, but my reaction is it seems to be a seperate point to the claims made by the Tories and supporters.

Pointing out the 'working class' claims of the Tories is not as significant as it seems, due to things like the economically active vote or low income working vote share, does not seem to refute a claim about the working class vote as a whole, it seems to just explain it is not that significant, which is not the same thing.

The Tory point may be broader and not the most relevant point (hence why they focus on it), that can be argued, but is the core of that broad argument actually incorrect?
  • Options

That is outrageous,
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Ok. So now we know you’re happy to ignore data if it doesn’t support your pet theories.

Cool.
  • Options

isam said:

But how has this changed over time? Is it just that the population of eg. Hartlepool has put on decades on their average age in a matter of a few years, or that the Tories have made serious inroads into a demographic "working class workers" that used to be nearly universally Labour?
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 786
    Watched the interview. My feeling was that it humanised him quite a bit and, speaking personally, made me think he is an impressive man to go from his background to where he is, via the career he's had.
    My fear is, his achievements won't necessarily be properly understood by the general viewing public and that it probably didn't change any minds. Still, he should keep going with this kind of thing and the attempt to reach people where they are is admirable. I keep seeing stuff online from the Labour left annoyed that he agreed to be interviewed by Morgan (Saint Jeremy would never stoop to this kind of thing) and that he would listen to Blair. The interview certainly annoyed some of the right people!
    That said, I am predisposed to him and think I'll probably vote Labour at the next general, so I am not neutral on this.
  • Options

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h
    Then they face the anger of the Nation, this indicates they have no belief in the vaccine.
    It will signal that normality can just be pushed back every time scientists kick and scream on TV.

If that happens Boris needs to go.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Ok. So now we know you’re happy to ignore data if it doesn’t support your pet theories.

Cool.
    Haha no

But you’ve got a millionaires son earning 15k pa in his first job as working class and a retired couple in a Dagenham council house as not working class
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Omnium said:

He was bloody useless on Sky this morning.

Which is unsurprising, he's bloody useless full stop.
    I'd respect the hell out of a government spokesperson if, pressed to defend Williamson, they attempted to do so on the basis he was 'the most consistent Cabinet Member'.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

isam said:

But how has this changed over time? Is it just that the population of eg. Hartlepool has put on decades on their average age in a matter of a few years, or that the Tories have made serious inroads into a demographic "working class workers" that used to be nearly universally Labour?
    Thanks for engaging.

There *has* been a shift from Lab to Tory since 2017 in this demographic. It’s just notable that a majority of lower income working voters STILL voted Labour in 2019 which is against current received opinion.

Secondly, Hartlepool has aged over time.
    The demographic mix has skewed even older than the general population because, in essence, younger people leave to find better jobs.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

Having trawled a bit it’s no more than a discussion about a two week delay if the data takes a turn for the worse, and I assume that is not cases but deaths and hospitals.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cool.
    Haha no

But you’ve got a millionaires son earning 15k pa in his first job as working class and a retired couple in a Dagenham council house as not working class
    Pathetic.
    Head in the sand idiocy.
    Dial up another Enoch vid why don’t you.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

That is outrageous,
    It is!
    There should be some kind of law against it.

I’m serious.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    edited June 2021

alex_ said:

isam said:

Thanks for engaging.

There *has* been a shift from Lab to Tory since 2017 in this demographic. It’s just notable that a majority of lower income working voters STILL voted Labour in 2019 which is against current received opinion.

The demographic mix has skewed even older than the general population because, in essence, younger people leave to find better jobs.
    But hasn't migration of the young been a thing for decades now? My economics teacher in the Midlands in the late 70's had come down from Hartlepool. He told us back then it was a big thing. Nobody bright stayed up there (to those on here offended, that may have been a broad generalisation on his part - but he did get me an A at A-level!)
  • Options
    Is there a market of whether the Olympics go ahead on time, delayed again, or cancelled.

Japan is vaccinating now at a rate of 500,000 a day, and this number is set to rise. but it is from a low base, (7.2% 1 jab 2.6% both) and with only 6 ish weeks to go before athletes and journalists start to arrive, so a lot of the vaccinated will likely not be in the + 2 weeks.

I suspect the 'loss of face' from cancelling will be too much, but they may be very different from a normal Olympics.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cool.
    Haha no

Pathetic.
    Head in the sand idiocy.
    You thought you had a point
    You were wrong!
    You were wrong!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    edited June 2021

That's a bit of a simplification.

The Tories had a clear majority with the over 40s with the Labour/Tory crossover point at age 39:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Watched the interview. My feeling was that it humanised him quite a bit and, speaking personally, made me think he is an impressive man to go from his background to where he is, via the career he's had.
    My fear is, his achievements won't necessarily be properly understood by the general viewing public and that it probably didn't change any minds. Still, he should keep going with this kind of thing and the attempt to reach people where they are is admirable. I keep seeing stuff online from the Labour left annoyed that he agreed to be interviewed by Morgan (Saint Jeremy would never stoop to this kind of thing) and that he would listen to Blair. The interview certainly annoyed some of the right people!
    That said, I am predisposed to him and think I'll probably vote Labour at the next general, so I am not neutral on this.

I haven’t watched it, but why do you say it was impressive to go from his background to become DPP? He went to a grammar school, did he not? It doesn’t seem out of the ordinary that he’d go on to have a good professional career.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

Having trawled a bit it’s no more than a discussion about a two week delay if the data takes a turn for the worse, and I assume that is not cases but deaths and hospitals.
    If the data for hospitalisations* and deaths took a turn for the worse to the extent that it actually justified delay (as opposed to just a rise from a very low base that was unlikely to be sustained in serious numbers) then it would be difficult to justify maintaining the restrictions at current levels, let alone loosening them.

A two week delay would have very little impact whatsoever, given how low our figures are. And once you delay once, you create the circumstances for a repeated slipping of the date.

*I also would like to know more about "hospitalisations". I have a suspicion that a lot of hospitalisations at the moment could be just people with positive test + mild symptoms, visiting hospitals as a precaution.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

I really think that letters will go in to the '22 if he does.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Unpopular said:

I haven’t watched it, but why do you say it was impressive to go from his background to become DPP? He went to a grammar school, did he not? It doesn’t seem out of the ordinary that he’d go on to have a good professional career.
    Grammar school then private schooling (unclear whether state or family paid)

• Options

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

The data would have to turn much, much worse for a delay to be justifiable.

Then if that happens its unlikely to be for two weeks.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    alex_ said:

isam said:

More of the first than a lot of people realise. Crudely, eighteen year olds leave Redwallton to go to Uni. Once they leave, they tend not to go back; they find their life-partners and get jobs in cities. Why the hell would they go back?

The Red Wall seats that have flipped tend to be either relatively remote, or places that don't really make economic sense as places now there's no coal mining. A lot of those places have had huge changes in the age profile. See the tables in this article;

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/12/how-demographics-explains-why-northern-seats-are-turning-tory
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    alex_ said:

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

If the data for hospitalisations* and deaths took a turn for the worse to the extent that it actually justified delay (as opposed to just a rise from a very low base that was unlikely to be sustained in serious numbers) then it would be difficult to justify maintaining the restrictions at current levels, let alone loosening them.

A two week delay would have very little impact whatsoever, given how low our figures are.

I also would like to know more about "hospitalisations". I have a suspicion that a lot of hospitalisations at the moment could be just people with positive test + mild symptoms, visiting hospitals as a precaution.
    I posted earlier about the England only data. Quite instructive that there is little or no increase in English hospitals despite the increased cases and hot spots. I think this will hold for the next 12 days and Boris will be able to hit the target.
  • Options
    Lol TAA’s hamstring has gone.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cool.
    Haha no

Pathetic.
    Head in the sand idiocy.
    You were wrong!
    You were wrong!
    Either you haven’t read the article, or you have and didn’t understand it.
  • Options

alex_ said:

isam said:

Thanks for engaging.

But hasn't migration of the young been a thing for decades now? My economics teacher in the Midlands in the late 70's had come down from Hartlepool. He told us back then it was a big thing. Nobody bright stayed up there (to those on here offended, that may have been a broad generalisation on his part - but he did get me an A at A-level!)
    The last 25 years has seen this phenomenon increase significantly.

There used to be “decent” middle class jobs in places like Hartlepool. Not so much anymore.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

I think we have the answer.

It's a great figleaf to allow you to reinforce your own prejudices.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

I really think that letters will go in to the '22 if he does.
    Pointlessly if so. He would win any ballot of MPs.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

alex_ said:

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

A two week delay would have very little impact whatsoever, given how low our figures are.

I also would like to know more about "hospitalisations". I have a suspicion that a lot of hospitalisations at the moment could be just people with positive test + mild symptoms, visiting hospitals as a precaution.
    I posted earlier about the England only data. Quite instructive that there is little or no increase in English hospitals despite the increased cases and hot spots. I think this will hold for the next 12 days and Boris will be able to hit the target.
    And it was revealed today that 40% of the covid "deaths" are actually people who covid was not a cause of death.

So, basically halve the nightly figure appearing on BBC News at Ten.
  • Options

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    2h

agreed, anything short of an even newer supper supper spreading variant that is at risk of ovewming the NHS and it must not be delayed.

I don't know who this Adam Brooks is or how reliable he has been in the past, but we have almost 3 weeks of data to come out, lots of time for cased to plato (and hopefully then fall)

being cynical, it might be an attempt to stop people like you and I calling for full reopening early. by manipulation us to say it should happen on planed time of the 21st
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cool.
    Haha no

Pathetic.
    Head in the sand idiocy.
    You were wrong!
    You were wrong!
    Either you haven’t read the article, or you have and didn’t understand it.
    I haven’t as I don’t subscribe to the New Statesman. But you started off with

“it is not the “working class” who voted for the Tories.

It is the elderly,”

“Working class” isn’t measured by wealth. Low income workers can be upper class. Wealthy retirees can be working class
  • Options
    Presumably TAA will be replaces with Aaron Wan-Bissaka...
  • Options

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

Fundamentally, whatever the truth, if it IS the old due to significant changes in the demographics of the areas, then isn't this just disastrous news for Labour? It means that the seats haven't been gained by the Tories in a temporary rebellion against their party, but evidence that they can write these seats off and need to go looking elsewhere (although who knows where?)
  • Options

RobD said:

They tend to be OLD.
    Economically inactive.

Happens to be true though, doesn’t it?

The statistics on wealth accumulation for the under 30s are simply terrifying.
    Old people don’t seem to care, or at least vote parties and policies that make the situation ever worse.

Perhaps this is simply what happens when a demos ages so much that the economically inactive (ie retired) form the decisive bloc.
This discussion has been closed.