Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs have a better than 6% chance of taking Chesham & Amersham – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,057
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Tariffs on imports and exports on all goods would be "tapered out slowly" to allow Brit farmers to adjust after major row. Dubbed “battle for the soul of Brexit" - PM threw his weight behind free traders led by Truss in a blow to protectionists who wanted to limit terms of deal.
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1395471571553341445

No, this is the right approach. In the end Zero Tariffs are best

New Zealand long ago decided to aim at Total Free Trade in Agriculture. It was controversial, but it seems to be working:

"Agricultural goods – New Zealand is the world’s 12th largest agricultural exporter by value and the #2 dairy exporter in the world. We’re the number one sheep meat exporter, the number one dairy product exporter and the second biggest wool exporter. Improving productivity, value-add and export earnings in this sector are critical to New Zealand's sustainable economic growth. FTAs are one way the government can support such growth."

https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/trade/nz-trade-policy/

In all honesty I find that hard to believe. NZ dairy is the biggest "dairy exporter" in the world? More than French cheese and yoghurt? Truly? Perhaps they mean sheep-dairy

Anyway it is fairly impressive for a tiny faraway country
    Lots of dairy and sheep in NZ (though anchor butter is now made in Britain) and with its climate and cheap well watered agricultural land about the best agricultural land in the world.

Sure, I just doubt that NZ - a small, faraway archipelago, next to no-one - can export so MUCH quick-to-spoil dairy, compared to, say, France, a large, fertile country with a famed agriculture sector, immediately surrounded by 500m people

Perhaps they are excluding intra-EU trade? Then it might be believable. Kinda

EDIT: Wow, I've had a look. And it seems to be basically true

"Fonterra is a truly global superpower in a sector in which New Zealand punches well above its weight. For a nation of just under 4.5 million, New Zealand’s dairy exports performance is startling.

"It is the world’s largest exporter of butter, churning out 550,000 tonnes in 2016, more than double the amount of the EU and almost 20 times more than neighbouring Australia.

"The country is second only to the EU in cheese exports, is by far the largest exporter of dry milk powder products, and is the fourth-largest exporter of milk. It helps that there are more than twice as many cows as people in New Zealand, but experts trace the success of the industry to an economic catastrophe that happened more than 40 years ago."

https://www.gtreview.com/magazine/volume-15issue-5/milk-new-zealands-dairy-exports-conquered-world/

Lesson? FTAs really work. The UK should aim for this. Boris is right

Big demand in China for dairy now, hence the increasing Chinese interest in NZ. Lots of Lamb to the Middle East too.

Like I pointed out, zero tariffs on imported food were the biggest reason for the great agricultural depression from 1870 onwards. Arguably good for urban consumers, but devastated British agriculture.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466

Just wandered into anti-vax land on twitter by mistake. Wow. Some of these guys are seriously nuts.

Seems to be a load of stuff about even being near someone who has been vaccinated can make you very ill.

Coincidentally I did similarly earlier (via Dan Hodges’ timeline). It was truly like a portal into the Twilight Zone. Perhaps the ultramundane do walk among us, after all.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,648
    I'm starting to wonder if Boris is a bit of a political genius. He seems to make the right policy decision, but by instinct. Or clever delegation?

He makes mistakes that would kill others, yet emerges unscathed. He knows what will please his new voters, without alienating the old voters

I can see why the likes of @kinabalu cordially detest him. He is quite an enemy to face
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Tariffs on imports and exports on all goods would be "tapered out slowly" to allow Brit farmers to adjust after major row. Dubbed “battle for the soul of Brexit" - PM threw his weight behind free traders led by Truss in a blow to protectionists who wanted to limit terms of deal.

New Zealand long ago decided to aim at Total Free Trade in Agriculture. It was controversial, but it seems to be working:

"Agricultural goods – New Zealand is the world’s 12th largest agricultural exporter by value and the #2 dairy exporter in the world. We’re the number one sheep meat exporter, the number one dairy product exporter and the second biggest wool exporter. Improving productivity, value-add and export earnings in this sector are critical to New Zealand's sustainable economic growth. FTAs are one way the government can support such growth."

In all honesty I find that hard to believe. NZ dairy is the biggest "dairy exporter" in the world? More than French cheese and yoghurt? Truly? Perhaps they mean sheep-dairy

Lots of dairy and sheep in NZ (though anchor butter is now made in Britain) and with its climate and cheap well watered agricultural land about the best agricultural land in the world.

Sure, I just doubt that NZ - a small, faraway archipelago, next to no-one - can export so MUCH quick-to-spoil dairy, compared to, say, France, a large, fertile country with a famed agriculture sector, immediately surrounded by 500m people

"Fonterra is a truly global superpower in a sector in which New Zealand punches well above its weight. For a nation of just under 4.5 million, New Zealand’s dairy exports performance is startling.

"It is the world’s largest exporter of butter, churning out 550,000 tonnes in 2016, more than double the amount of the EU and almost 20 times more than neighbouring Australia.

"The country is second only to the EU in cheese exports, is by far the largest exporter of dry milk powder products, and is the fourth-largest exporter of milk. It helps that there are more than twice as many cows as people in New Zealand, but experts trace the success of the industry to an economic catastrophe that happened more than 40 years ago."

https://www.gtreview.com/magazine/volume-15issue-5/milk-new-zealands-dairy-exports-conquered-world/

Big demand in China for dairy now, hence the increasing Chinese interest in NZ. Lots of Lamb to the Middle East too.

Like I pointed out, zero tariffs on imported food were the biggest reason for the great agricultural depression from 1870 onwards. Arguably good for urban consumers, but devastated British agriculture.
    Arguably?

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,112
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

My first chance to comment on the proposals to "transform" the railways.

I used to travel by train 3-4 times per week before the pandemic, for both business and pleasure. The business model for train companies, based on high-earning sardine trains morning and evening, has been demolished and while it's worth noting weekend travel numbers have stood up rather better, it's a good time to start re-thinking public transport.

I'm not quite sure what to make of GBR - it sounds a bit like a country-wide Transport for London whereby different services run services but constrained by centrally-driven ticketing and timetabling. Of course, there's not much competition out there now - yes, if I want to go from London to Exeter, I can either go GWR from Paddington or SWR from Waterloo.

It's a broad brush but the faster the train the more expensive the fare - there are big differences from London to York if you want to get there in two hours or two and a half hours. If time's not an issue and you can book well in advance, train travel is very reasonably priced but that's not where the operators make their money - they can afford to run off-peak services as loss leaders as the commuter trains will pay their way.

Or at least they did.

The concern I have is the funding of GBR and whether Sunak, in his need to plug the deficit, will look to reduce unprofitable services (I'm sure he wants Beeching's reputation) and cut back on modernisation and improvements. The problem is a profitable public transport model in a post-pandemic environment isn't easy to find - Gatwick and Heathrow Express perhaps the two best examples.

Ultimately, perhaps, public transport shouldn't be about profit and market forces. Good transport is an enabler across the wider economy - a reliable transport system benefits the economy in many ways and perhaps the lesson is it will pay for itself in terms of boosting growth regionally and nationally.

For a Government wishing to burnish its environmental credentials, additionally, looking like you are serious about public transport (not just rail but local light rail systems and buses) as a way of offering a reliable and viable alternative to road traffic seems sensible and plans to restore some rail lines (which isn't cheap) are a step in a promising direction. I'd also argue transport infrastructure provision is an integral part of a successful housing and planning policy.

As someone that has used public transport all I can say is I will either move to within walking distance or go back to driving public transport is a shit solution. It doesn't take you door to door, if it involves changing train or bus you are at the mercy of the buggers turning up etc. I have done lots of public transport and it has normally taken 2 to 3 times the length of time it would take in a car and cost twice as much. The only exception being train trips of 15 minutes or less with no changes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

You can see why the Scented Jacinda is so keen to be sweet with the Chinese
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTiKNR_euQ

Senator Martin Heinrich, Democrat, New Mexico

Member of Senate Intelligence Committee and Member of Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

The two areas of government most closely associated with UAP investigation.

LOL he's clearly humouring the guy! 😂
    TMZ is leading entertainment tabloid television show in the USA. Must see TV for huge number of folks, in particular younger viewers and (someday) voters.

Any politico being interviewed by TMZ who does NOT humor the interviewer would be a flaming idiot.

PLUS note that Roswell is in Sen. Heinrich's bailiwick.
    Of course! 👽

Anyone who takes TMZ seriously ... needs help!
    You’ve spent months talking about weirdos on YouTube not counting. We give you cnn, fox, the NY Times, NBC, 60 mins etc... We give you serving senators, ex presidents, ex CIA heads. Multiple military personnel talking on the record about the same event that has also had video, infrared and telemetrics supporting their story.

Nothing will ever satisfy you that there’s some extraordinary technology that needs to be explained. Nothing. Not even Leon’s space bassoon. I don’t know whether it’s aliens, it would concern me less than it being earthly at this stage frankly.
    Oh I 100% understand that there's advanced technologies.
    Let’s run with your theory. What happens next if someone inside the DoD has been falsifying Navy flight video and telemetrics with off the shelf software? To the extent that it’s made its way to the highest levels of classified briefings and motivated a cross party congressional initiative to demand answers from the executive?

The day is going to come when you will look back and be embarrassed by what you’re writing now.
    They're feeding conspiracy lunatics with a more entertaining conspiracy that justifies DoD spending, rather than having them hooked on a conspiracy about underground paedophile networks and shadow Presidents only known about by Q and his followers.

It's conspiracy detox. It's a joke.
    Ok let’s run with your latest theory. Do you not think that would be perhaps the biggest story of post war American politics, given the senior politicians from both sides of the aisle that have apparently fallen for it?
    @moonshine

As far as I'm aware there are:

1. Things that air force pilots have seen for fifty years in the upper atmosphere that defy our understanding
    2. Some drone footage that has people very excited
    3. A jokey (and not particularly committal) answer to a question by Barack Obama
    and...
    4. The possibility that the US government will release a report in the coming months

What am I missing?

My guess, fwiw, is that the report will say:

Air force pilots have seen things in the upper atmosphere that we can't explain.

Which is true!

But it's not anything like conclusive evidence of extra-terrestrials flying space ships around the US.
    You are missing tons of stuff, and the entire narrative. And, as a smart guy, you really should be doing better. Google!

I am 100% unconvinced this is aliens. The hypothesis is still way out there

But I cannot explain the behaviour and statements of multiple, senior actors on the US political and journalistic stage, unless some of them - or all of them - really are mystified by these gravity-defying OMFG-drones
    No offense but same question. How do we know you're not an alien?
    Aren't we all *aliens*, in some deep, somewhat Wokey way? Who has never looked out at Modern Britain and thought, "Fuck, I do not belong here"
    I haven't but I have looked and said "Fuck you don't belong here"
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Member of Senate Intelligence Committee and Member of Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

TMZ is leading entertainment tabloid television show in the USA. Must see TV for huge number of folks, in particular younger viewers and (someday) voters.

Any politico being interviewed by TMZ who does NOT humor the interviewer would be a flaming idiot.

Of course! 👽

You’ve spent months talking about weirdos on YouTube not counting. We give you cnn, fox, the NY Times, NBC, 60 mins etc... We give you serving senators, ex presidents, ex CIA heads. Multiple military personnel talking on the record about the same event that has also had video, infrared and telemetrics supporting their story.

Nothing will ever satisfy you that there’s some extraordinary technology that needs to be explained. Nothing. Not even Leon’s space bassoon. I don’t know whether it’s aliens, it would concern me less than it being earthly at this stage frankly.
    Let’s run with your theory. What happens next if someone inside the DoD has been falsifying Navy flight video and telemetrics with off the shelf software? To the extent that it’s made its way to the highest levels of classified briefings and motivated a cross party congressional initiative to demand answers from the executive?

The day is going to come when you will look back and be embarrassed by what you’re writing now.
    They're feeding conspiracy lunatics with a more entertaining conspiracy that justifies DoD spending, rather than having them hooked on a conspiracy about underground paedophile networks and shadow Presidents only known about by Q and his followers.

Ok let’s run with your latest theory. Do you not think that would be perhaps the biggest story of post war American politics, given the senior politicians from both sides of the aisle that have apparently fallen for it?
    They've not "fallen" for anything.

They've making very bland non committal or even jokey comments that are getting ran with by obsessives and those who have fallen for it like you.

If you're going to be buying into conspiracies then better nudge, nudge wink wink jokes about extraterrestrials than you buying into Q.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

And why all NZ lamb is halal slaughtered.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,603

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

There's a lot of over-squealing by farmers in this.

Remember how last year the NFU wanted all kinds of restrictions on negotiations in Trade Deals made into law?

But imo going totally non-tariff non-quota is too far for this one. Backstops are required.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    FYI, just received the following advice from my health provider re:

What can you safely do now that you’re fully vaccinated?

You’ve waited out the two weeks after your last COVID-19 shot and are excited to get back to activities you put on hold due to the pandemic. Here’s what you can do to protect yourself and others while enjoying the benefits that come with being fully vaccinated.

What you can start to do:
    > Go maskless in many indoor settings, though some businesses may continue to ask customers to wear a mask.
    > Spend time outdoors without a mask.
    > Resume most activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart — with some exceptions.
    > Travel in the U.S. without getting tested or self-quarantining before or after travel.

What you should keep doing:
    > Wear a mask when going to the doctor or visiting a long-term care facility.
    > Mask up on public transportation and in schools.
    > Follow masking guidance from local businesses and workplaces.
    > Get tested if you experience COVID-19 symptoms.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    Leon said:

I'm starting to wonder if Boris is a bit of a political genius. He seems to make the right policy decision, but by instinct. Or clever delegation?

He makes mistakes that would kill others, yet emerges unscathed. He knows what will please his new voters, without alienating the old voters

I can see why the likes of @kinabalu cordially detest him. He is quite an enemy to face

Seems he is in touch with the red wall voters

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1395439465259208706?s=19
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    This has just given me a good chuckle.

Rhodes Must Fall have said that Oriel allowing the statue to remain is an act of institutional racism, a slap in the face with the hand of white supremacy, demanded decolonisation of the institution and the city and steps towards reparations.

It's just a massive tantrum:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-57189928
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Absolutely. NZ exports are completely dominated by agriculture and tourism, both are very much the Asian Market, though I am fond of NZ wine. There is plenty of gutrot there, but the export stuff is almost always decent and often excellent.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

And why all NZ lamb is halal slaughtered.
    Is New Zealand cheese any good?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Off topic: Oatly is valued at $13 billion. WTF?!?

Brand and first mover advantage
    Perceived as buying for the future
    Absurd amounts of liquidity that need to deployed
    And there was me thinking it was the oat equivalent of a micro-brewery!
    The amount of IP protected technology development needed to effectively milk an oat is astounding. It’s a Tesla-seque step change.
    According to my Google search, you steep the oats in water, crush it into a pulp, then strain off the solids. It that what you mean by protected IP?
    Mmm, yes, but then you have to do a whole bunch of other things to it to make it even halfway palatable and inoffensive to look at.
    I am quite a fan of oatmilk and use it on cereal. It keeps well and is low carbon and high fibre. Nice and creamy in a cappuccino too.
    I really wanted to like oatmilk for reasons of carbon and land-use. I've tried three times, but it's no good to me. My daughter says pea milk is better, which at least is a viable alternative in a way soya and almond milk aren't (for environmental reasons), but I was so disappointed with oat milk, I'm wary.
    Just drink normal milk, FFS.
    I do drink normal milk. And I eat lots of good cheese. I J Mellis deliver for free within Edinburgh.

But if I found a non-dairy alternative to milk, that resulted in less greenhouse gas emissions, and more efficient use of land, that was still enjoyable to drink, then I would think that, at least some of the time.

I don't see why you should be so touchy about that.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

@moonshine

1. Things that air force pilots have seen for fifty years in the upper atmosphere that defy our understanding
    3. A jokey (and not particularly committal) answer to a question by Barack Obama
    and...
    4. The possibility that the US government will release a report in the coming months

What am I missing?

Air force pilots have seen things in the upper atmosphere that we can't explain.

Which is true!

But it's not anything like conclusive evidence of extra-terrestrials flying space ships around the US.
    You are missing tons of stuff, and the entire narrative. And, as a smart guy, you really should be doing better. Google!

But I cannot explain the behaviour and statements of multiple, senior actors on the US political and journalistic stage, unless some of them - or all of them - really are mystified by these gravity-defying OMFG-drones
    Aren't we all *aliens*, in some deep, somewhat Wokey way? Who has never looked out at Modern Britain and thought, "Fuck, I do not belong here"
    Are you ever in a good mood? At all times of day or night, you present as permanently at war with the world.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

The eeriest solution I've read is that this is a super intelligent species living alongside us, but unobserved, in our solar system, perhaps even under the oceans of earth

Ooo-er

For those that think this is a load of bollocks this guy is a pretty good debunker. He's thorough and he doesn't sneer (as some do, off-puttingly)

https://twitter.com/MickWest

Here's a good monologue from a guy explaining why this probably isn't US DoD Psy-ops to increase military spending

"Saagar Enjeti
    @esaagar
    ·
    4h
    People are skeptical of UFO disclosures as psyop by the Pentagon for more funding

I understand why BUT modern history of UFO/Pentagon is DOD blocking all attempts to uncover evidence and eventually resigning themselves to leaks

My monologue today:"

https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/1395396833317376000?s=20
    Maybe it’s the dolphins?
    No it's definitely the mice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's a great product. The only non dairy milk like stuff that I can deal with. Everything else is universally crap, soy, almond, hazelnut, hemp, pea - all terrible. Even non-oatly oat milks are awful.

Definitely an oatly convert.
    Hmm from some of the comments might have made a mistake, place I worked at had a coffee machine with an attached fridge which pumped milk out of a jug. I got in early one morning and filled the jug with goats milk....maybe should have used oat milk. However I was gratified that the marketing team gagged over their cappucino's
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,277
    MaxPB said:

It's a great product. The only non dairy milk like stuff that I can deal with. Everything else is universally crap, soy, almond, hazelnut, hemp, pea - all terrible. Even non-oatly oat milks are awful.

I bulk ordered Alpro oat milk in our Waitrose order this week as it was on special offer. They had run out and substituted with Oatly, but honoured the special offer price. That wouldn't have happened if we'd shopped in store.

BTW, I don't generally drink it, it is for Wor Lass.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

Remember how last year the NFU wanted all kinds of restrictions on negotiations in Trade Deals made into law?

But imo going totally non-tariff non-quota is too far for this one. Backstops are required.
    It will be the NTBs that are worth watching.

One person's NTB is another's food standards.
  • Options

Rhodes Must Fall have said that Oriel allowing the statue to remain is an act of institutional racism, a slap in the face with the hand of white supremacy, demanded decolonisation of the institution and the city and steps towards reparations.

But - horror! - Oriel used the now-racist term "BME" which is now known to be TOTALLY racist, especially by those who campaign against racism and used to use the word BME because it was non-racist, unlike the previous term, which was racist. Just like the racist term "BME" is, now

RACISTS
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

@moonshine

and...

What am I missing?

Which is true!

Are you ever in a good mood? At all times of day or night, you present as permanently at war with the world.
    You object to an honest answer being no I have never felt I don't belong in the uk? What is grumpy about that? Or the fact that I believe some people have attitudes such as "Gays should be strapped to a chair and thrown of a building" do not belong in the uk?

Personally I suspect most would agree with me
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Delightful indeed. Did you notice that the BBC put their best Race reporter on the story? I'm not kidding - his name is literally 'Michael Race'. Talk about getting typecast!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Leon said:

Look at the number of crying wolf incidents that have led to... huge success for him

Proroguing Parliament
    “People of colour” (people of talent)
    The ‘violent’ row with his girlfriend reported to The Guardian by Neighbours
    The holiday in Mustique
    No Deal Brexit being the plan
    The wallpaper
    “Piles of bodies”

I feel his success is so unpalatable to his haters that several people have left this site rather than admit what you say. To be fair to @kinabalu, he has stayed and does admit it

All these have supposedly been his downfall. The latest strategy is to say they’re all going to add up eventually, just you wait.

He turns normal men into David Brent irked by Neil
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

The eeriest solution I've read is that this is a super intelligent species living alongside us, but unobserved, in our solar system, perhaps even under the oceans of earth

Ooo-er

For those that think this is a load of bollocks this guy is a pretty good debunker. He's thorough and he doesn't sneer (as some do, off-puttingly)

Here's a good monologue from a guy explaining why this probably isn't US DoD Psy-ops to increase military spending

"Saagar Enjeti
    @esaagar
    ·
    4h
    People are skeptical of UFO disclosures as psyop by the Pentagon for more funding

I understand why BUT modern history of UFO/Pentagon is DOD blocking all attempts to uncover evidence and eventually resigning themselves to leaks

“ perhaps even under the oceans of earth “

Kraken Awakes.
    That's a great book.
    The old “science fiction” era was just more creative and thoughtful than the “syfi” era?
    And just a lot more unnerving?
    Wyndham was particularly good at the unnerving. But I don't buy the old science fiction is better or more creative than all syfi. I think quite a bit of modern syfi deals with sociological issues in novel and insightful ways.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimT said:

The amount of IP protected technology development needed to effectively milk an oat is astounding. It’s a Tesla-seque step change.
    According to my Google search, you steep the oats in water, crush it into a pulp, then strain off the solids. It that what you mean by protected IP?
    Mmm, yes, but then you have to do a whole bunch of other things to it to make it even halfway palatable and inoffensive to look at.
    I am quite a fan of oatmilk and use it on cereal. It keeps well and is low carbon and high fibre. Nice and creamy in a cappuccino too.
    I really wanted to like oatmilk for reasons of carbon and land-use. I've tried three times, but it's no good to me. My daughter says pea milk is better, which at least is a viable alternative in a way soya and almond milk aren't (for environmental reasons), but I was so disappointed with oat milk, I'm wary.
    I do drink normal milk. And I eat lots of good cheese. I J Mellis deliver for free within Edinburgh.

But if I found a non-dairy alternative to milk, that resulted in less greenhouse gas emissions, and more efficient use of land, that was still enjoyable to drink, then I would think that, at least some of the time.

We've been drinking milk since the dawn of time. Cows aren't the reason we have climate change. That's down to us burning billions and billions of fossil fuels.

You don't need to make yourself miserable by drinking misty pea or oat water and trying to convince yourself you like it. It's utterly futile and will almost certainly be rendered redundant by future innovations in farming and technology.

So I really wouldn't beat yourself up about it.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

@moonshine

and...

What am I missing?

Which is true!

You object to an honest answer being no I have never felt I don't belong in the uk? What is grumpy about that? Or the fact that I believe some people have attitudes such as "Gays should be strapped to a chair and thrown of a building" do not belong in the uk?

Er, where’s the chair-throwing thing come from? I’m simply observing your perennially agitated presentation.
  • Options
    TimT said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

Ooo-er

"Saagar Enjeti
    @esaagar
    ·
    4h

“ perhaps even under the oceans of earth “

Kraken Awakes.
    That's a great book.
    The old “science fiction” era was just more creative and thoughtful than the “syfi” era?
    And just a lot more unnerving?
    Wyndham was particularly good at the unnerving. But I don't buy the old science fiction is better or more creative than all syfi. I think quite a bit of modern syfi deals with sociological issues in novel and insightful ways.
    If people havent read it oath of fealty by Niven and pournelle is a good light read along sci fi sociology issues
  • Options

Delightful indeed. Did you notice that the BBC put their best Race reporter on the story? I'm not kidding - his name is literally 'Michael Race'. Talk about getting typecast!
    Is the political philosophy of Michael Race racism?
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimT said:

We've been drinking milk since the dawn of time. Cows aren't the reason we have climate change. That's down to us burning billions and billions of fossil fuels.

You don't need to make yourself miserable by drinking misty pea or oat water and trying to convince yourself you like it. It's utterly futile and will almost certainly be rendered redundant by future innovations in farming and technology.

Cattle are a major source of greenhouse gases, particularly methane.

I buy oatmilk because it keeps well, has excellent nutritional value, and has a lovely rich creamy taste on cereal.

I buy semi-skimmed cows milk for tea, but it tends to go off too quickly.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,669

That is straight out of Brass Eye!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Xtrain said:

Is it official LibDem policy to be against HS2 and new housing development or is it just for the C & A by election?

It seems to be Lib Dem position to support free movement and increasing the UK's population, but to be in favour of NIMBYism and against having houses or infrastructure built for the people they want to live here.
    It's the LibDem policy to support whichever local policies are most likely to result in them winning a byelection.

I don't think that is particularly nefarious.
    When the policy is significantly different to the one promoted by the LDs next door it asks questions about cynicism, consistency and verisimilitude.

My attitude is that if you deal with LibDems you know that at some stage you will be wrestling with a pig in a cesspit. But also that that is what they do to survive, often out of necessity.

I had to make a Planning Appeal because of such manoeuvres, and because the application was a slam-dunk it imposed extra costs of a number of k on the Council for Lib Dem political reasons - a step too far imo on that one.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

@Leon

Of course! 👽

@moonshine

and...

What am I missing?

Which is true!

Er, where’s the chair-throwing thing come from? I’m simply observing your perennially agitated presentation.
    I replied to leon saying he doesnt feel he belongs in the country always and do people share that feeling? Why does me saying yes I feel I belong here come across as being grumpy?

I therefore assumed you meant the second piece where I said that I felt some people didnt belong and gave you an example of the type of people that don't belong here....people who dont support western liberal attitudes to gay people, women, etc. I would have thought you would have agreed or is it you only object to those attitudes in white people?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,669

MaxPB said:

I bulk ordered Alpro oat milk in our Waitrose order this week as it was on special offer. They had run out and substituted with Oatly, but honoured the special offer price. That wouldn't have happened if we'd shopped in store.

If you are bulk buying - does she bathe in it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

TimT said:

We have been burning coal as long as we've been drinking milk. In both cases it used not to matter because so few of us existed to do it. Now there are billions of us, it does.

Milk drinking has been a minority sport, too. Lots of people lack the genes to digest the stuff
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

Leon said:

Look at the number of crying wolf incidents that have led to... huge success for him

Proroguing Parliament
    The holiday in Mustique
    The wallpaper
    “Piles of bodies”

I feel his success is so unpalatable to his haters that several people have left this site rather than admit what you say. To be fair to @kinabalu, he has stayed and does admit it

All these have supposedly been his downfall. The latest strategy is to say they’re all going to add up eventually, just you wait.

It's almost as if a career as an extremely successful journalist and twice-victorious London Mayor does, actually, prepare you for the ruthless politics and endless media that come with being British PM
  • Options

Oh, that's brilliant!

Next week: 'William Woke' interviews Prince Harry.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,004
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

That's not related to tariffs or quotas, is it?

yes
    Which is totally disingenuous. There’ll be standards to adhere to
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm from some of the comments might have made a mistake, place I worked at had a coffee machine with an attached fridge which pumped milk out of a jug. I got in early one morning and filled the jug with goats milk....maybe should have used oat milk. However I was gratified that the marketing team gagged over their cappucino's
    LOL Try filling it with shanina next time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936
    edited May 2021
    Yorkshire! Yorkshire! Yorkshire!

Indian Covid-19 variant cases more than double in a week as fresh ‘triple mutant’ emerges in Yorkshire

Public health officials have classed the new strain, AV.1, as a variant under investigation after 49 cases

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/indian-covid-19-variant-cases-more-than-double-in-a-week-as-fresh-triple-mutant-emerges-in-yorkshire-1012296
  • Options

It as if removing a statue isn't really their motivation....and doing so won't stop their complaints.

Some of these bad faith actors are like XR, no matter what you do, only a complete collapse of the current capitalist system will start to appease them.
    I finally had a response from my XR friend tonight on Facebook messenger.

She's not happy. The passive aggressiveness was off the scale. In fact, it was rude.

And she's a real person talking to me as a real person on a private 1:1.

I have absolutely no idea how to engage with that level of fanaticism.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

I buy oatmilk because it keeps well, has excellent nutritional value, and has a lovely rich creamy taste on cereal.

Never drink milk with tea. You lose so many of the health benefits. Black tea makes you live forever. Look at the East Asians

Also, milk in tea is disgusting. Like cheese in coffee

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Try filtered - lasts about twice as long and tastes fine.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

If you want to see what NZ exports (and to whom), here's the link: https://oec.world/en/profile/country/nzl#:~:text=Exports: The top exports of,South Korea ($1.15B).

There's a lotta milk and butter in there.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Xtrain said:

Is it official LibDem policy to be against HS2 and new housing development or is it just for the C & A by election?

It seems to be Lib Dem position to support free movement and increasing the UK's population, but to be in favour of NIMBYism and against having houses or infrastructure built for the people they want to live here.
    It's the LibDem policy to support whichever local policies are most likely to result in them winning a byelection.

When the policy is significantly different to the one promoted by the LDs next door it asks questions about cynicism, consistency and verisimilitude.

My attitude is that if you deal with LibDems you know that at some stage you will be wrestling with a pig in a cesspit. But also that that is what they do to survive, often out of necessity.
    If your policy is localism, then that will manifest itself in different ways in different constituencies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

Asking our farmers to compete with Australia and NZ is like asking Morgan Motor Co to take on Ford and GM. I mean, you might survive as a niche product for eccentrics.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

and is there a plant based alternative for virgins blood, just asking for Miss Bathory
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

If you buy lactose free milk it spoils much less quickly.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419
    edited May 2021
    New Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

Leon said:

Proroguing Parliament
    The holiday in Mustique
    The wallpaper
    “Piles of bodies”

It is possible to think he is both politically (electorally) talented, and a complete shit. Indeed I'm not sure what else one can think about him. And I think it will add up eventually, perhaps sooner than you think.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Xtrain said:

If your policy is localism, then that will manifest itself in different ways in different constituencies.
    I see that you don't disagree with my analysis :smile:
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    This thread has signed a trade deal with New Zealand
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Yeah, bollocks. It's a few percent. Cattle weren't an issue 200 years ago. Or for the 20,000 years before that.

It's funny how moos only become a problem when overlapped onto massive worldwide burning of oil and coal, isn't it?

Fair enough if you actually like oatmilk and want it. But let's not kid ourselves the hairy-shirt stuff is any sort of solution.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

Asking our farmers to compete with Australia and NZ is like asking Morgan Motor Co to take on Ford and GM. I mean, you might survive as a niche product for eccentrics.
    They will have to go locavore, and upmarket, and artisan: which makes total sense for a crowded, rich, populous, but relatively small, intricate country like the UK. We don't have prairies that can grow grain for the world

The farmers have 15 years to prepare, they cannot be shielded forever. Let's do it. This is one reason we voted Brexit

If farms go out of business, turn them into wildflowers and woodland. Let the nation sing with butterflies!
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

They will have to go locavore, and upmarket, and artisan: which makes total sense for a crowded, rich, populous, but relatively small, intricate country like the UK. We don't have prairies that can grow grain for the world

The farmers have 15 years to prepare, they cannot be shielded forever. Let's do it. This is one reason we voted Brexit

If farms go out of business, turn them into wildflowers and woodland. Let the nation sing with butterflies!
    I don't think British farmers have much to worry about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Never drink milk with tea. You lose so many of the health benefits. Black tea makes you live forever. Look at the East Asians

I have Yorkshire Gold* for breakfast, but drink herb tea or green tea at work. Initially this was because I never had any milk in the work fridge, but now by preference.

*I prefer Typhoo because the tea bags are biodegradeable, but Mrs Foxy rules on this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Makes smoothies/milkshakes with it. Uses it in tea and coffee. Makes porridge with it. It keeps for ages, so just taking advantage of the special offer.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,255
    isam said:

Leon said:

Proroguing Parliament
    The holiday in Mustique
    The wallpaper
    “Piles of bodies”

I rewatched the office recently and came to realise Brent is a sound guy and effective boss, and Neil a socially awkward and unprofessional tosser.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Surely it is Green Tea with the health benefits? And I add milk to that, btw.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    FWIW, Blair was the same, that is things which would, even should, have brought down others, bounced off. He wasn’t brought down by the voters but the English voter empathy vacuum that was Gordon Brown. I suspect that Cummings sees himself as being having Brown-seque power. Certainly the same level of self-awareness.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624

Foxy said:

TimT said:

It's possible to quantify what proportion of global warming is due to methane from dairy cows. It's not a massive proportion, but it's not nothing, though methane is generally less problematic than carbon dioxide because it's not resident in the atmosphere for so long.

If I was beating myself up about it then I would have stopped eating and drinking the stuff. My attitude to sugar is far more problematic, and has nothing to do with global warming.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Surely it is Green Tea with the health benefits? And I add milk to that, btw.
    Black tea has massive health benefits

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6512146/

"it should be noted that it is recommended that black tea to be consumed without any additives like milk or sugar"

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-black-tea.html

Once you get used to black, you never go back
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282

Indian Covid-19 variant cases more than double in a week as fresh ‘triple mutant’ emerges in Yorkshire

Public health officials have classed the new strain, AV.1, as a variant under investigation after 49 cases

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/indian-covid-19-variant-cases-more-than-double-in-a-week-as-fresh-triple-mutant-emerges-in-yorkshire-1012296

Kent variant Indian variant you were lucky
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Reparations. Lol. Doesn't mark them out as complete crazies at all.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

Nonsense. Free trade works.

Farmers need to adapt and compete or get out of the industry and let those who can take over. That's what the Kiwis did and it worked wonders.

Protectionism doesn't work.
  • Options

I used to get up, cough one lung out before breakfast and lunch on left over plague, but you tell that to youngsters today and they don't believe you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,617

It as if removing a statue isn't really their motivation....and doing so won't stop their complaints.

Some of these bad faith actors are like XR, no matter what you do, only a complete collapse of the current capitalist system will start to appease them.
    They are the mirror image of the current Republican party in that respect.
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook-pm/2021/05/18/hopes-for-jan-6-commission-fade-492897
    MCCARTHY SLAMS THE DOOR ON KATKO — The big news on the Hill this morning is that House Minority Leader KEVIN MCCARTHY announced his opposition to a bipartisan Jan. 6 commission. He issued a statement against the proposal and spoke out against it at the House GOP Conference this morning, even though his ally JOHN KATKO (R-N.Y.) negotiated on his behalf and secured almost all the concessions McCarthy had sought....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Foxy said:

I used to get up, cough one lung out before breakfast and lunch on left over plague, but you tell that to youngsters today and they don't believe you.
    Four Yorkshiremen of the apocalypse.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,296
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

We have been burning coal as long as we've been drinking milk. In both cases it used not to matter because so few of us existed to do it. Now there are billions of us, it does.

Milk drinking has been a minority sport, too. Lots of people lack the genes to digest the stuff
    Globally, sure but if you're of european descent it's highly likely you're fine with milk.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,455

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Farmers fucked by BoZo

Arguably?

Nonsense. Free trade works.

Farmers need to adapt and compete or get out of the industry and let those who can take over. That's what the Kiwis did and it worked wonders.

Protectionism doesn't work.
    Agriculture in UK definitely depends on protectionism- Cumbrian sheep farmers, pig/chicken farming (to maintain high welfare standards) and others -these are all "protected" in one way or another...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,215
    California is revising its maths curriculum: “Teachers must engage in critical praxis that interrogates the ways in which they perpetuate white supremacy culture in their own classrooms, and develop a plan toward antiracist math education.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-20/california-controversial-math-overhaul-focuses-on-equity
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

A Lib Dem party led by Paddy or Charlie could have had a real punt at this. A Lib Dem party led by Ed really struggles for impact. Personally, I think 6% is quite generous.

Paddy maybe but Charlie appealed more to left leaning graduates in urban areas, which was where most of the LD gains came from in 2001 and 2005.

Chesham and Amersham however is a wealthy and fiscally conservative but pro Remain Home Counties seat with an aversion to HS2 and new housing, the type of seat an anti hard Brexit LDs led by the Orange Book Ed Davey should be doing well in
    Charlie and Paddy were both brilliant campaigners who could create a buzz and some momentum. Ed, not so much. I expect this to be a comfortable Conservative hold on a lowish turnout.
    CON - first by some way
    LD - second with a respectable showing but not that close
    LAB - will they bother? :lol:
    49 Con
    42 LD

Would be my guess.

I think that makes almost 20-1 for the LDs good value. Indeed, I'd probably back them down to about 8-1.

That being said, you wouldn't want to do it for lots of money, but the current odds are too long.

I'm wary of using odds as a method of proclaiming alleged 'value'.

There is no law of averages here. Just because you bet 20 times on different markets all at 20-1 doesn't mean that one time in 20 you will win.

In fact, these 'value' bets are a great way to lose money.

Value only applies if you outsmart the market and that requires smarter knowledge than the bookies and the other punters.

Does that apply here in Buckinghamshire?

Doubt it.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    Off topic, brilliant piece by Cyclefree on the last thread.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,439

Off topic, brilliant piece by Cyclefree on the last thread.

Cyclefree's is the new thread aiui (Publish and be damned).
This discussion has been closed.