Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ahead of the May 6 locals – some key facts and figures – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Leon said:
    Johnson does it most weeks

No biggie
    This is a biggie - make no mistake

Scotland has just entered uncharted territory
    Blimey BigG.is there no news from which you don't demand the defenestration of an opponent of this Government? It was Khan at the weekend, UVDL earlier today and now Nippy.
    Big G's list is longer than that: Macron, Merkel, VDL, Khan, Dick, Williams of Hartlepool (in advance), Sturgeon.

Only Drakeford is truly safe from the Big G axe. Or is he?
    Drakeford is top of the list but no idea who Dick is
    Dame Cressida (De Menenez) Dick.
    She was definitely on BigGs list

Now he claims not to even know her
    Maybe check my posts
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour has just selected one of their most pro-Remain former MPs to stand in a constituency that voted 70% Leave, in the shape of Paul Williams.

What could possibly go wrong...

His press release manages to "throw us [Stockton] under the fucking bus" according to a close mutual friend. He isn't wrong either - I am both astonished and entertained that Labour have shit the bed this badly again.

Imposing a non-local candidate, who was the poster boy for the People's Vote, into Hartlepool where support for the EU was like support for the monkey. What on earth are they thinking? The campaign will keep being pulled back to two issues:
    1. You abandoned your PCC campaign for a better job. What will stop you doing the same here?
    2. You openly and endlessly campaigned for a 2nd referendum. Why did you want to overturn democracy and why do you think the people of Hartlepool are stupid?
    Remind me, how many times did they vote for Mandelson?
    Do you think they would have voted for him in 2019?

Different world now.
    Would they ave been given the chance, given Corbyn’s views on people of his *cough* ethnicity?

Admittedly, Miliband still stood and was elected.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Leon said:

No biggie

Blimey BigG.is there no news from which you don't demand the defenestration of an opponent of this Government? It was Khan at the weekend, UVDL earlier today and now Nippy.
    Big G's list is longer than that: Macron, Merkel, VDL, Khan, Dick, Williams of Hartlepool (in advance), Sturgeon.

Cressida - I'm sure you were calling for her to go a few days ago.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

No biggie

You surely know I have a huge interest in Scotland and am pro the union

And many are calling for the useless UVDL to go
    A Judge recently ruled that Boris Johnson misled Parliament over Covid contracts.

Did Boris Johnson resign?
    He also misled Parliament over the return of schools.
    You and I both know how this works now.
    "If the public are unhappy, they can make their views known at the appropriate time- the brilliance of British Democracy is that they can fire me, kick me out... in 2024."

Though the blatantness of the snigger before "2024" does grate a bit.

(The previous method of political regulation was the Decent Chap Principle- A Decent Chap knows when they've done wrong and goes. The government got round that by not appointing any Decent Chaps, or Decent Chapettes).
    One thing recent years have shown is we need a proper process of impeachment.

It wouldn’t be easy to set one up, but at the moment these bastards are pretty well literally getting away with murder.
    Donald says hi!
    I said ‘proper,’ which lets the USA’s system out on the fly.
    Is there a workable way? If it's politicians, you fall into the quicksand of lobby fodder. If it's not politicians, you run into the "Unelected X's thwarting the Will Of The People" problem.

Truly shameless populists are a bugger to get out of the system.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,395
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

@TSE

Couple of questions I was wondering if you knew the answer to:

1) What time do vaccination centres open until?

2) Is there any sort of protocol/procedure for people turning up and asking if there’s any spare vaccine they could have?

If you don’t know, no worries, was just a thought.

1) Depends on the centre, some are open until 8/9 pm.

2) Simple walk ins are frowned upon, your best option is to go inside a vaccination centre with someone who has age related/mobility/health issues, and ask nicely if they have some spare vaccines, it is something a few vaccination centres are allowing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Who'd have thought the dour Scots would provide us with such entertaining political theatre?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The finding of the Holyrood committee also vindicates Salmond. Yet AGAIN. An d opens several more cans of tartan worms,

Every time this has come before a court or a tribunal or a committee, they find that the SNP/Sturgeon lied and Salmond was right

There could be years more of this. Why should Salmond let it go now, as he is being exonerated in public and his enemy crumbles?

I think the last point is what will drag her down so much, Salmond won't stop now, he keeps winning and has no incentive to let sleeping dogs lie. Especially after her testimony and many remarks casting doubt on the verdict in his trial. He's absolutely got the right to keep gunning for her, in his place I'd do the same until she was utterly destroyed.
    Yep, me too. And he is good at this brutal stuff. And he burns with righteous fury (as you would in his position)

At some point the SNP will realise that this isn't going away until Sturgeon and her delightful husband have gone away, and for all her incredibly tenacious popularity, she is damaging the ultimate cause. That's when she goes (if it's not any of the other times I've already outlined!)
    The thing I find strange is the extraordinarily contemptuous and aggressive tone she uses whenever referring to Salmond. Seems to be provoking him (not that he needs provoking, mind).
    They REALLY hate each other. And she lets that unbalance her (perhaps that is the root of all her troubles). Her constant snide hints that he's really guilty were quite pointless, and must have riled him all the more.

He will never leave this alone until either she is vanquished, or he is dead.
    Don't give them ideas :wink:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Scott_xP said:
    Doubly so in Scotland because everyone knows which party will win the election before it is held.

The likelihood of the SNP losing is zero, so their Parliamentarians also have zero incentive to remove Sturgeon. It might now take the continued (and guaranteed) support of the sock puppets to keep her in office again, but Sturgeon will be back as First Minister. All these inquiries are an irrelevance.
    I disagree and expect this will see her out of office in 2021

I would also suggest the Greens may want to keep their distance from Sturgeon
    They couldn't even bring themselves to vote against Swinney, they ain't going to bring down the Nats and vote to put Douglas Ross into bat. The notion is laughable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    The first sentence of the German health ministry's message to reassure people about AstraZeneca says that the EMA will "publish a warning about it" but recommend to continue its use. They argue that stopping and starting vaccinations shows people that they should trust it.

https://twitter.com/BMG_Bund/status/1372635679679741955
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@TSE

2) Is there any sort of protocol/procedure for people turning up and asking if there’s any spare vaccine they could have?

2) Simple walk ins are frowned upon, your best option is to go inside a vaccination centre with someone who has age related/mobility/health issues, and ask nicely if they have some spare vaccines, it is something a few vaccination centres are allowing.
    Right, thanks.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Debate bout what?
    Biden called Putin a killer and said he had no soul

The Russians are mighty pissed
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Debate bout what?

Performatively so.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

Leon said:

No biggie

Dame Cressida (De Menenez) Dick.
    She was definitely on BigGs list

Now he claims not to even know her
    Maybe check my posts
    Can you help SKS out with lists?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Debate bout what?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1372634409682284546
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Floater said:
    Debate bout what?
    Trump. Would be funny.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Debate bout what?

Well, apart from under Tsar Nicholas II and Gorbachev, they always were.

History says when they start being sober you should be worried.
  • Options

Leon said:

No biggie

Cressida - I'm sure you were calling for her to go a few days ago.
    Cressida Dick of the MET- yes
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The finding of the Holyrood committee also vindicates Salmond. Yet AGAIN. An d opens several more cans of tartan worms,

Every time this has come before a court or a tribunal or a committee, they find that the SNP/Sturgeon lied and Salmond was right

There could be years more of this. Why should Salmond let it go now, as he is being exonerated in public and his enemy crumbles?

I think the last point is what will drag her down so much, Salmond won't stop now, he keeps winning and has no incentive to let sleeping dogs lie. Especially after her testimony and many remarks casting doubt on the verdict in his trial. He's absolutely got the right to keep gunning for her, in his place I'd do the same until she was utterly destroyed.
    Yep, me too. And he is good at this brutal stuff. And he burns with righteous fury (as you would in his position)

At some point the SNP will realise that this isn't going away until Sturgeon and her delightful husband have gone away, and for all her incredibly tenacious popularity, she is damaging the ultimate cause. That's when she goes (if it's not any of the other times I've already outlined!)
    The thing I find strange is the extraordinarily contemptuous and aggressive tone she uses whenever referring to Salmond. Seems to be provoking him (not that he needs provoking, mind).
    They REALLY hate each other. And she lets that unbalance her (perhaps that is the root of all her troubles). Her constant snide hints that he's really guilty were quite pointless, and must have riled him all the more.

He will never leave this alone until either she is vanquished, or he is dead.
    I wonder why she is so convinced about his guilt, someone who was her svengali for so long 🤔
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The first sentence of the German health ministry's message to reassure people about AstraZeneca says that the EMA will "publish a warning about it" but recommend to continue its use. They argue that stopping and starting vaccinations shows people that they should trust it.

Honestly, more and more I keep wondering where this reputation for competency that Germany has got comes from.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,107

Scott_xP said:
    Doubly so in Scotland because everyone knows which party will win the election before it is held.

The likelihood of the SNP losing is zero, so their Parliamentarians also have zero incentive to remove Sturgeon. It might now take the continued (and guaranteed) support of the sock puppets to keep her in office again, but Sturgeon will be back as First Minister. All these inquiries are an irrelevance.
    They won't lose, in the sense of being by some margin the largest party. But they may well fail to secure a majority, which will make it easier for Boris to refuse IndRef2 or, worse still, lose the existing pro-Indy majority (SNP + Green) which would kybosh it completely and probably lead to her leaving office.
    It also makes it easier for Boris to refuse her request (tho he would do it anyway). She's weakened.

I wonder if she might just go for UDI, as she sees her indy dream failing along with her career. At that point she'd have nothing to lose. And a lot to gain. Roll the dice?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@TSE

They are pretty good at spotting fakes with assumed identities. Knowing the NHS number and name but not their own address was a bit of a giveaway!
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,435

Scott_xP said:

They couldn't even bring themselves to vote against Swinney, they ain't going to bring down the Nats and vote to put Douglas Ross into bat. The notion is laughable.
    Here's a possibility (don't laugh).

SNP/Green lose pro-Indy majority.

The 3 Unionist Parties vote down minority SNP Govt.

Everyone votes down minority SCon Govt.

SLab/LibDem/Green minority Govt enters office with Anas as 1st Minister.

Tories abstain and SNP descend into civil war.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

They are facing the electorate in May and without their support, Sturgeon or whoever is likely to lead a minority SNP government and no indyref2

• Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

They are pretty good at spotting fakes with assumed identities. Knowing the NHS number and name but not their own address was a bit of a giveaway!
    Yeah, @ydoethur, take some proof of your identity with you (like a driving license) and your NHS number with you.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

I wasn’t planning to do anything like that. I was just wondering if I turned up at the end of the day and politely asked if they had any vaccine that would otherwise go to waste I might get jabbed.

But if the answer’s no, it’s no. Not the end of the world as I am after all in a group at low risk of death, if not low risk of infection.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

They won't lose, in the sense of being by some margin the largest party. But they may well fail to secure a majority, which will make it easier for Boris to refuse IndRef2 or, worse still, lose the existing pro-Indy majority (SNP + Green) which would kybosh it completely and probably lead to her leaving office.
    It also makes it easier for Boris to refuse her request (tho he would do it anyway). She's weakened.

I wonder if she might just go for UDI, as she sees her indy dream failing along with her career. At that point she'd have nothing to lose. And a lot to gain. Roll the dice?
    UDI? Must be joking. Would shatter the whole Yes movement. She won't go there.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,395
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

I wasn’t planning to do anything like that. I was just wondering if I turned up at the end of the day and politely asked if they had any vaccine that would otherwise go to waste I might get jabbed.

But if the answer’s no, it’s no. Not the end of the world as I am after all in a group at low risk of death, if not low risk of infection.
    If you tell them you are a teacher (with evidence) then you might get lucky.

The thing the vaccinators really hate people who take the piss.

(Like I'm 30 with no underlying issues but I want a vaccine so I can go on holiday)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Could see that happening. After all, it’s roughly what happened in 2007.

The downside for the Tories though is they would cease to be the opposition without getting into government.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Remains to be seen if any SNP MSPs or MPs call for Sturgeon to go.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

No, I didn't think that you would, but it has been happening in Leicester.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Leon said:

On the vaccine slowdown:

There are about 53 million adults in the UK. If we assume that, to get out of the shit, we need to jab everyone once plus all the vulnerable groups for a second time, that gets us up to 85 million vaccinations.

As of tonight, 27.6m doses have been administered. Let us be optimistic and assume that we get up to 35m by the end of the month, due to the brief uplift in supply. That leaves 50m to go.

How long will that take if supply from abroad goes to shit, as looks increasingly likely? IIRC, domestic production is about 2m AZ per week and that assumes nothing else goes wrong (bad batches, low yields, vials running out and everything else.) It could be a long, long wait.

Novavax, Moderna, Pfizer. The SII in India have said they WILL give us the other 5m AZ in about 4 weeks.

AZ production in the UK is a lot more than you say, I believe - and will improve

You are being unduly pessimistic. We've had bad news, but remember we have now done 27.6 MILLION injections; 580,000 - 1% of the adult population - were done just today
    We have done 27.6 million injections - but it's taken about three months.

If we want to do the remaining 70+ million injections by the end of July (so we can then start on the autumn boosters) we have to increase the rate very significantly. Instead of 10 million per month we need close to 20 million.

It's a big challenge.
    We don't need to double jab everyone in the country to effectively eliminate covid. Plus, the J&J vaccine is single dose.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,255
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Interesting update re Scotland................https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-great-burn/#comments

Evening Malc,

This extract from the Wings blog is hilarious:

"And this wholly incidental mention of Liz Lloyd conveniently brings us back to the statement released by an unknown complainer through Rape Crisis Scotland, because Liz Lloyd is the subject of it."
    The twats even left the name of the complainer in , they are getting even worse. Bet Wolfe is nowhere to be seen this week. Too busy threatening Spectator and Guido.
    Not normally the greatest fan of wings over Bath but I did genuinely LOL at this comment:
    "Because if you live in Scotland you can only rationally be one of two things at this moment in history: (a) terrified, or (b) an idiot."
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Legendary modesty klaxon.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1371055295884095488

Now 7/2 and 20/1 respectively.

Where are you betting on that?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Roger said:

Andy_JS said:
    The real nightmare would be the likelihood of having someone like her as a neighbour
    LOLz. We had someone move into a new development behind us tell us that we were not allowed to have chickens and a rooster under the development's by-laws. We pointed out that the farm had been in existence since 1728 (US, so shorter history) and was not part of the development so he could go off and perform a sex act on himself.

Ultimately, he and his like won out. We moved into deeper a darker countryside on 75 acres in the agriculture preserve (minimum 25 acre holdings). Now we cannot see, let alone hear, our neighbours. We are surrounded by Trump supporters, but to complain about that would be to become that 'lady'.
  • Options

The EMA's official tweet was also bone-headedly stupid

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1372588755085840388?s=20

"still outweighs" - like there is an ongoing live debate and hmm, we shall see. Then the word "risks". So there ARE risks. And why even mention "blood clots". Those are the two words that scream out. This jab gives you BLOOD CLOTS

Fuckin eejits. Just say "We have decided it is a safe and effective vaccine". Tuck all the other stuff away, which really is trivial in comparison, on some obscure website
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I don’t think she’d have ‘little to lose’ either. Without any sort of process behind her she would be guilty of sedition and treason, and without wishing to sound like the Wild Man of Epping Forest, that does carry rather a long prison sentence.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

No, I didn't think that you would, but it has been happening in Leicester.

To look at that in a positive way, at least it shows they want the vaccine. A much nicer problem than the one in France.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

"Do others have a favourite City Church?

Having visited them all I probably go for St Vedast-alias-Foster due to the modest Epstein in the Courtyard and All Hallows on the Wall because the ceiling is like a perfect drawing room."

Like Topping I'd go for Hawksmoor's Christ Church, Spitalfields. Possibly my favourite church in the world, not just London. But is it in the City, technically? I think not

So I'd go for either St Brides, Fleet St (Roman foundations in the cellar!), St Stephen Walbrook - Wrenaissance perfection - or St Bartholomew the Great - medieval and picturesque

https://www.themontcalm.com/blog/a-look-at-christ-church-spitalfields/

https://ststephenwalbrook.net/tag/church-design/

https://regentclassicorgans.com/st-bartholomew-the-great/

St Brides is also right next to Goldman Sachs
    Goldmans has moved.

But did you see their analyst PowerPoint today?
    So they have, although they're still not very far from Fleet Street and St Brides.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

If she doesn't the tartan hardcore will try and bring her down, when Boris says No. Either way I sense her remarkable career may be in the final Act
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MaxPB said:

Honestly, more and more I keep wondering where this reputation for competency that Germany has got comes from.
    Well, they should know how their own populations respond to messages. Just because we find that messaging counterproductive doesn't mean it's counterproductive for French, Germans, Swedish, etc.

I've read that they are a lot more risk averse than we are, so the willingness to pause and make sure all's well might be reassuring to them.

We'll see. If they're getting the messaging right for their own populations it's just bad luck that other places around the world misinterpret it.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Spurs eh?

But they only need one.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Could see that happening. After all, it’s roughly what happened in 2007.

The downside for the Tories though is they would cease to be the opposition without getting into government.
    True, but they really wouldn't have a choice, and breaking the SNP grip on ScotGov would be a huge gain.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Spurs :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

If she doesn't the tartan hardcore will try and bring her down, when Boris says No. Either way I sense her remarkable career may be in the final Act
    She has made quite clear she will not do a UDI which would be illegal and not internationally recognised as it was not in Catalonia.

Sturgeon in any case has always been a careerist, her main focus is staying FM of an SNP government, Salmond was the one who always put independence first and for whom the SNP were just a vehicle for that ambition.

Hence why many nationalist hardliners now despise Sturgeon
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

LOL. Very witty.
  • Options
    Spurs behind
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I actually looked at the detail of what the commission has proposed on the new export registration measures today. I know, actually reading stuff before forming a conclusion, it's novel idea.

To summarise - they are essentially just talking about introducing a reciprocity clause that nations *must* consider when making the decision to authorise exports.

In regards to Pfizer the reciprocity already exists, the UK provides crucial ingredients for the process of making the Pfizer vaccine, the Belgian (and other) government can simply fill the form in and say that they import lipid nanoparticles from the UK and the EU can take no further measures because the consideration has been made. There is a 0% chance that Belgium will decide to take the step of blocking Pfizer vaccine exports to the UK. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Wrt Moderna and Spain it's a little trickier in the near term, the Spanish government could simply use the same reciprocity as it is a net beneficiary of the Pfizer vaccine but specific to Moderna the UK doesn't currently have any inputs so with a literal reading of the new measure the Spanish government may have to block Moderna vaccine exports to the UK, but in the slightly less short term (maybe 4-6 weeks) Moderna will have moved their fill and finish to Switzerland or the UK where no such restrictions on exporting exist and Spain just loses the business as the company would be in breach of their contract with Moderna to supply the stated clients as outlined.

For our vaccine programme there is maybe a small risk of Spain using a literal interpretation of the proposed measure to block exports to the UK, but I think it's extremely unlikely, I'd rate it at a 5% chance, maybe less because ultimately Spain doesn't get to use those vaccines it holds back anyway, Moderna will just keep them in storage until the ban is lifted and they lose the long term business partnership which delivers jobs and investment.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Scott_xP said:

They are facing the electorate in May and without their support, Sturgeon or whoever is likely to lead a minority SNP government and no indyref2
    The sock puppets will back the SNP. If Sturgeon is the leader that means they'll back her. Their entire Parliamentary representation is derived from pro-independence list votes loaned by SNP backers. If they bring down a pro-independence Government and let the Unionists in, they are done.

Scott_xP said:

There is exactly zero probability of a Unionist majority. Although even if there was the sock puppets wouldn't back it, for the rather obvious reasons given above.

EDIT: I suppose I shouldn't say zero. I was student of science once. Certainty is a big thing.

There is, in fact, an infinitesimally small chance of a Unionist majority this year. A bit like there's an infinitesimally small chance of Edinburgh being levelled by an asteroid strike this year. I don't think either of those things will be particularly worrying Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    F'king hell, what are Spurs doing?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Having visited them all I probably go for St Vedast-alias-Foster due to the modest Epstein in the Courtyard and All Hallows on the Wall because the ceiling is like a perfect drawing room."

Like Topping I'd go for Hawksmoor's Christ Church, Spitalfields. Possibly my favourite church in the world, not just London. But is it in the City, technically? I think not

So I'd go for either St Brides, Fleet St (Roman foundations in the cellar!), St Stephen Walbrook - Wrenaissance perfection - or St Bartholomew the Great - medieval and picturesque

Goldmans has moved.

And no, I did not. If it's interesting, please forward.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    On topic, Labour now have just 17% of county seats up this year but 47% of district seats while the Tories have 60% of the former but only 30% in the latter.

Hence the locals could be a tale of 2 elections, Labour gains in the county elections but Tory gains at district level
  • Options
    Leon said:

"still outweighs" - like there is an ongoing live debate and hmm, we shall see. Then the word "risks". So there ARE risks. And why even mention "blood clots". Those are the two words that scream out. This jab gives you BLOOD CLOTS

Fuckin eejits. Just say "We have decided it is a safe and effective vaccine". Tuck all the other stuff away, which really is trivial in comparison, on some obscure website
    Though our own press conference did cover the same ground, with 5 cases of of CVST and DIC in 11 million vaccines. It may well prove to be a very rare side effect, and is certainly needing further surveillance. Whether there are any other risk factors in the cases remains to be seen. Best carry on for now but be vigilant.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I actually looked at the detail of what the commission has proposed on the new export registration measures today. I know, actually reading stuff before forming a conclusion, it's novel idea.

To summarise - they are essentially just talking about introducing a reciprocity clause that nations *must* consider when making the decision to authorise exports.

In regards to Pfizer the reciprocity already exists, the UK provides crucial ingredients for the process of making the Pfizer vaccine, the Belgian (and other) government can simply fill the form in and say that they import lipid nanoparticles from the UK and the EU can take no further measures because the consideration has been made. There is a 0% chance that Belgium will decide to take the step of blocking Pfizer vaccine exports to the UK. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Wrt Moderna and Spain it's a little trickier in the near term, the Spanish government could simply use the same reciprocity as it is a net beneficiary of the Pfizer vaccine but specific to Moderna the UK doesn't currently have any inputs so with a literal reading of the new measure the Spanish government may have to block Moderna vaccine exports to the UK, but in the slightly less short term (maybe 4-6 weeks) Moderna will have moved their fill and finish to Switzerland or the UK where no such restrictions on exporting exist and Spain just loses the business as the company would be in breach of their contract with Moderna to supply the stated clients as outlined.

For our vaccine programme there is maybe a small risk of Spain using a literal interpretation of the proposed measure to block exports to the UK, but I think it's extremely unlikely, I'd rate it at a 5% chance, maybe less because ultimately Spain doesn't get to use those vaccines it holds back anyway, Moderna will just keep them in storage until the ban is lifted and they lose the long term business partnership which delivers jobs and investment.

That sounds like a fair analysis.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Exiting Europe?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Joanna Cherry will.

Not sure about the others.

Blackford is important, and I will be very surprised if he changes his mind on supporting her.

But Swinney - I could just see him doing it, even if he’s less influential.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Exiting Europe?
    We should have asked them to negotiate for us.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Spexit.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_xP said:

Slight problem: Tories abstaining would see SLab minority government voted down too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

LOL. Very witty.
    The MSPs certainly won't do anything. In the event of her becoming seriously wounded one or two of the Westminster members might start off (Cherry, MacAskill, MacNeil) in consort with Salmond, but we are a very long way from there.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

SLab/LibDem/Green minority Govt enters office with Anas as 1st Mini wster.

Slight problem: Tories abstaining would see SLab minority government voted down too.
    They could have an informal arrangement - supply and confidence, or whatever its called. And get a few policy wins from negotiating with the Administration. Quite possible.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The sock puppets will back the SNP. If Sturgeon is the leader that means they'll back her. Their entire Parliamentary representation is derived from pro-independence list votes loaned by SNP backers. If they bring down a pro-independence Government and let the Unionists in, they are done.

Scott_xP said:

There is exactly zero probability of a Unionist majority. Although even if there was the sock puppets wouldn't back it, for the rather obvious reasons given above.

EDIT: I suppose I shouldn't say zero. I was student of science once. Certainty is a big thing.

There is, in fact, an infinitesimally small chance of a Unionist majority this year. A bit like there's an infinitesimally small chance of Edinburgh being levelled by an asteroid strike this year. I don't think either of those things will be particularly worrying Nicola Sturgeon.
    I don't agree. It is far from the most probable outcome but the possibility of a Unionist majority is well above zero or even infinitesimally small. I would put it somewhere between 10 and 20% at the moment, more if Nicola goes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    HYUFD said:

She has made quite clear she will not do a UDI which would be illegal and not internationally recognised as it was not in Catalonia.

Sturgeon in any case has always been a careerist, her main focus is staying FM of an SNP government, Salmond was the one who always put independence first and for whom the SNP were just a vehicle for that ambition.

As soon as you understand Sturgeon isn't interested in independence, everything becomes clear.

She'll talk about it to keep her supporters onside but thanks to Boris Johnson she doesn't have to do anything about it. In essence, the Conservatives support the SNP, not overtly obviously, but they help the SNP by denying them a referendum which they might well lose.

A second referendum defeat would be an existential crisis for the SNP - not having such a vote but talking about wanting to have it holds everyone together.

The status quo works well for everyone - they do their bit by going on about a vote knowing it won't happen, you do your bit by constantly denying them that vote.

If you really wanted to kill off the SNP you'd offer them a second vote but you don't want that either because the SNP prevents a Labour majority and the notion of Labour being in the SNP's pocket plays well in England thus maintaining the Conservative position.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

What about the Novavax from Czechia? I understood that we might get our first batch from there, prior to delivery from the domestic supply.

Czechia is a Covid epicentre at the moment, so they'd definitely have a use for it, even if the EU haven't actually bought any.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rim9z3X.NpYk/v0?fbclid=IwAR0ODL_MKntKLsziT2uEzhkC0pW6GuIUG_C-0PPz3pnA7iIqTPaMn0l8fnE

It's been doing the rounds on various Slack channels all day.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,976
    ydoethur said:

I suspect Nicola Sturgeon will say it was an inadvertent misleading of Parliament rather than a deliberate misleading.

A bit like Priti Patel's defence that she inadvertently bullied civil servants rather than deliberately bullied them.

Both stink, but you can see how Boris Johnson and his government have debased standards in this country.

Boris Johnson has one priceless advantage, and that is a large majority made up mostly of lobby fodder.

Sturgeon does not have a majority. She seems unlikely to get one now.

The Greens are critical. If they say they will support an SNP administration but only if she stands down, it is over.
    The Greens are likely to support her. They share the same woke policies.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

If you tell them you are a teacher (with evidence) then you might get lucky.

The thing the vaccinators really hate people who take the piss.

(Like I'm 30 with no underlying issues but I want a vaccine so I can go on holiday)
    In LA, they now have two centers where all the unfinished doses go at the end of the day. If you are ok to queue for four or five hours, and don't mind the risk of the guy in front of you getting the last dose, you can get vaccinated today.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Labour will not back a Tory minority government but the Tories might back a minority Labour (+Lib Dem) government. What is needed for a Unionist government, minority or otherwise, is for Labour to overtake the Tories. Its possible but difficult.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The WHO tweet also mentioned "the risks".

It was absurd.
  • Options
    Oh Spurs.
  • Options
    Oh dear - President Biden has referred to "President Harris" in a bulletin
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

As soon as you understand Sturgeon isn't interested in independence, everything becomes clear.

She'll talk about it to keep her supporters onside but thanks to Boris Johnson she doesn't have to do anything about it. In essence, the Conservatives support the SNP, not overtly obviously, but they help the SNP by denying them a referendum which they might well lose.

A second referendum defeat would be an existential crisis for the SNP - not having such a vote but talking about wanting to have it holds everyone together.

The status quo works well for everyone - they do their bit by going on about a vote knowing it won't happen, you do your bit by constantly denying them that vote.

If you really wanted to kill off the SNP you'd offer them a second vote but you don't want that either because the SNP prevents a Labour majority and the notion of Labour being in the SNP's pocket plays well in England thus maintaining the Conservative position.

It's another example of the 1984 theory of The War. It doesn't matter if the Indy campaign goes well or badly, because it's not there to be won or lost. The important thing is that The Campaign continues, because that shores up the position of the leaders on both sides.
  • Options
    If only there was a word for this Spurs performance.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What about the Novavax from Czechia? I understood that we might get our first batch from there, prior to delivery from the domestic supply.

Czechia is a Covid epicentre at the moment, so they'd definitely have a use for it, even if the EU haven't actually bought any.
    They haven't bought any. There's no consideration to make.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Exiting Europe?
    Is Jose toasty? He has underperformed with the squad he has.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The WHO tweet also mentioned "the risks".

It was absurd.
    Yes, but so did our government press conference.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited March 2021
    No SNP MSPs/MPs are going to call for Sturgeon's resignation at the very least this side of the official publication of the full committee report and almost certainly not before the Hamilton inquiry also reports.

If the latter is even more damning for her, which seems very possible now, then some people might stick their heads above the parapet. But I expect the number of those people to still be small.
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I generally agree. But if she is in real trouble (which looks likely now) but still in charge in the election campaign then I think she will double and treble down on the indyref2 stuff to ensure that a lot of the wavering SNP vote turn out for them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Exiting Europe?
    He may end up winning more trophies this season than OGS, Klopp, and Ancelotti combined.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432
    kle4 said:

I'm not attached to the districts, but I am to the counties.

I'd only support it if, say, Hampshire County Council became the unitary.

Problem is it is fair that some counties, in themselves, probably are too big for single unitaries, but then you get into weird divisions of untiaries. Wiltshire and Swindon(Wiltshire) makes pretty decent sense, but others somewhat less so.
    I'm attachhed to the counties too. But I don't necessarily see why counties should have to equal locak government units.
    What I really want is a sub-unit of the country that is consistent over time so that I can ask a question like 'list all the clubs who have ever been in the football leage whose home ground was in Cheshire' without having to go on a lengthy explanation of what I mean by Cheshire.
    This is not as trivial as it sounds.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rim9z3X.NpYk/v0?fbclid=IwAR0ODL_MKntKLsziT2uEzhkC0pW6GuIUG_C-0PPz3pnA7iIqTPaMn0l8fnE

It's 13 people in the investment banking division.

And yes, that job is literally the pits. And after two years you're expected to fuck off to business school.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I'm not attached to the districts, but I am to the counties.

I'd only support it if, say, Hampshire County Council became the unitary.

You really want to be ruled from So’ton?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

Wow. That is damning. Who TF would want to work there?
  • Options

If only there was a word for this Spurs performance.

A Cummings?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Though our own press conference did cover the same ground, with 5 cases of of CVST and DIC in 11 million vaccines. It may well prove to be a very rare side effect, and is certainly needing further surveillance. Whether there are any other risk factors in the cases remains to be seen. Best carry on for now but be vigilant.
    Sure, just don't put it in your one big official tweet, that has now been retweeted several thousand times. Madness. Can they not see how it looks? Are they just dim? This is basic PR

By all means inform the public of some very rare, possible, unproven, but scary-sounding risks in a dense Pdf in your hard-to-find website. Not on bloody Twitter.

I do wonder if there is still a faint agenda to smear AZ, in favour of the others, who, of course, make a profit
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Exiting Europe?
    I think so. Maybe last the season though. He always seems to lose the dressing room in his second season nowadays.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

Chameleon said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour has just selected one of their most pro-Remain former MPs to stand in a constituency that voted 70% Leave, in the shape of Paul Williams.

What could possibly go wrong...

Brexit is already done. So long as he doesn't pick at the scab (and I'm assuming he won't) then it should make no difference.
    He won't be the one in control of whether the scab is picked though. And the people who are will be feeling *very* itchy.
    Any shouting by the usual suspects, especially given the circumstances (low turnout by-election in the middle of a plague) will go mostly unheard by a mostly disinterested electorate. Labour hold.
    Uninterested. Presumably not disinterested.
  • Options
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

And I thought boarding school hours were bad!
  • Options

No SNP MSPs/MPs are going to call for Sturgeon's resignation at the very least this side of the official publication of the full committee report and almost certainly not before the Hamilton inquiry also reports.

If the latter is even more damning for her, which seems very possible now, then some people might stick their heads above the parapet. But I expect the number of those people to still be small.

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I generally agree. But if she is in real trouble (which looks likely now) but still in charge in the election campaign then I think she will double and treble down on the indyref2 stuff to ensure that a lot of the wavering SNP vote turn out for them.
    She'll definitely double-down and say that "the people" will be final judge. The strategy has been to drag this out until the election campaign.

Worth noting that the 5-4 vote by the inquiry was by no way assured. Down to Andy Wightman being independently-minded and not the Green sock-puppet that his former SGP colleagues are. He also voted to No Confidence Swinney last week.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

It's 13 people in the investment banking division.

And yes, that job is literally the pits. And after two years you're expected to fuck off to business school.

Yeah, I've heard some pretty horrible stuff from the US side of things, not as bad here but still pretty awful. All in all I'm glad I came into banking as a career changer rather than as a graduate or junior. Having real life work experience and a backbone really helped a lot early on at Barclays and I also knew when it was time to leave and didn't have any sentimentality over it.
  • Options
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

Presumably people wanting to earn several hundred thousand a year. Did they think there wouldn't be a price for that?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Sure, just don't put it in your one big official tweet, that has now been retweeted several thousand times. Madness. Can they not see how it looks? Are they just dim? This is basic PR

By all means inform the public of some very rare, possible, unproven, but scary-sounding risks in a dense Pdf in your hard-to-find website. Not on bloody Twitter.

I do wonder if there is still a faint agenda to smear AZ, in favour of the others, who, of course, make a profit
    Their tweet is highly congruent with Whitty in the press conference:

"Professor Chris Whitty said "all of medicine is about the potential risks of a treatment" and says the key question is "are the benefits big enough to justify that".

With the vaccine, there is an "incredibly small potential risk" against "the really very substantial protections these vaccines give".

In order to reassure, you have to stick to the truth.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,217

I've backed the Greens for 14+ seats.

Please come in. That'd be a stonking bet.

That's +1 Green in each region.

Central Scotland looks close. They might only need to increase their vote by +0.7pp there.
    Glasgow, they might need +2.5pp for an extra seat.
    Highlands & Islands, +4pp.
    Lothian, +6pp (?).
    Mid Scotland & Fife, +6pp (?).
    North East Scotland, +0.7pp.
    South Scotland, +0.7pp.
    West Scotland, +5.9pp.

What odds did you bet at?

They're not currently polling that much better than before the last election, but I'd have thought it would be an obvious shift for some Independence minded voters.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Labour will not back a Tory minority government but the Tories might back a minority Labour (+Lib Dem) government. What is needed for a Unionist government, minority or otherwise, is for Labour to overtake the Tories. Its possible but difficult.
    It must be a thankless task being a Scottish Tory. Because of their low ceiling of support it's a virtual impossibility for them ever to win a Scottish Parliament election outright, or to obtain any support from anyone else to rule as a minority or in coalition. And the cumulative effect of Brexit, devolution and Labour's stupidity is that the Tories are now the Party of England and it's unlikely that an MP for a Scottish seat will ever hold any cabinet position in London other than SoS for Scotland again. You have to wonder what keeps them going.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

And I thought boarding school hours were bad!
    Trying to imagine what a boarding school would be like where the students were up until 5am each night and only got 4 hours for sleeping, eating and grooming.
  • Options
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

It's still the single most desirable bit of CV experience for anyone in banking/investment. It's the equivalent of having a Harvard or Oxford degree so people put up with the shit for two years.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,976
    If Sturgeon puts independence first, she will resign. If she puts herself first, she will try to stay. I don’t expect her to resign, even if Hamilton finds she misled Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt

Goldmans has moved.

Presumably people wanting to earn several hundred thousand a year. Did they think there wouldn't be a price for that?
    I am sure these individuals are not earning that amount, nor are many of them likely to survive at that rate until they get to that level.
This discussion has been closed.