Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some polling news for Mr Gove to ponder: YouGov finds that

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some polling news for Mr Gove to ponder: YouGov finds that LAB has a 41pc lead amongst teachers

I’ve now got full details of the YouGov poll of teachers which was carried out for the NUT. I should stress that this is a representative sample of teachers in England and Wales with the YouGov using its estabished polling panel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited January 2014
    Ignore it! It's an NUT poll.*

*Just to save others saying it.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Interesting. And not good news for Gove.
    I like him and I think he's a good thing. But, clearly, he's not great at winning over the sceptical or the semi-hostile.

I wonder how many state school teachers there are nationally? And how that averages out per constituency?
  • Options
    I am not sure Gove needs to be worried about up setting the teachers. It is the parents and the wider community that he needs to convince rather than those with a vested interest in protecting their own jobs and work practices.
  • Options
    The Con Home link FPT may explain why some of us had high hopes of all that 'power back to the teachers' guff he came out with in the early days. Only to have our hopes dashed. Boo hoo.

Anyway, off out so will leave you to the long holidays/gold-plated pension/responsible for all society's ills stuff.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    @Carola
    - I believe that you're in education?
    Does your experience suggest Gove is very unpopular with teachers?
    If so, it the man or the policies or both?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I am not sure Gove needs to be worried about up setting the teachers. It is the parents and the wider community that he needs to convince rather than those with a vested interest in protecting their own jobs and work practices.

What a short sighted comment. There are 900+ teachers in each constituency.
  • Options

A lot of teachers were on side with some of his policies Richard. I doubt you'll believe that as clearly - despite my 10 years doing ed research for the Govt and 20 years in the classroom - you'll know more about it than me.
  • Options

And if he is a minister worth his salt he should be doing what is necessary to improve the education of our children rather than what is going to get him re-elected. That inevitably means upsetting teachers since the whole education system is in such a mess after decades of mismanagement.

If he is not there to improve things then what exactly is the point of him being a minister?
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

@Carola
    - I believe that you're in education?
    Does your experience suggest Gove is very unpopular with teachers?
    If so, it the man or the policies or both?

I'm off out, but read that Con Home link or anything from: http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/a-guide-to-scenes-from-the-battleground/
    ... which pretty much supports my views.
  • Options
    Carola said:

A lot of teachers were on side with some of his policies Richard. I doubt you'll believe that as clearly - despite my 10 years doing ed research for the Govt and 20 years in the classroom - you'll know more about it than me.
    What I know is that our education system is only a couple of points above laughing stock and that (although I disagree with some of what he is doing) Gove's agenda might actually do something about improving things rather than people just pretending everything is fine.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    My wife is a teacher and I've just stood down as a school Governor. I'm surprised they found 16% of Tories. The bile I've seen for Gove - and it's personal- is quite something to behold. The Lib Dems have reserved some of theirclearest differentiation for education and this points at why.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2014

Amazing. So many, and yet the standard of education is woeful.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    edited January 2014
    Freggles said:
    Well, this thread should be closed: that link's obviously won the debate. Who cares about reading, writing and arithmetic as long as our kids can produce puerile posters using Photoshop.
  • Options

Carola said:

What I know is that our education system is only a couple of points above laughing stock and that (although I disagree with some of what he is doing) Gove's agenda might actually do something about improving things rather than people just pretending everything is fine.
    I don't know a teacher who thinks that everything is fine. Most teachers I know think that the last Govt (and many before them) damaged education. Most - even if not Tories - were prepared to give Gove a chance when he talked of more academic rigour and giving us our balls back.

What he's actually doing is giving more power to those who did most to create the mess we're in in the first place.

There are signs that things are changing with ofsted, which gives me hope... but there are so many other clusterfeckish issues building up around the edges that I suspect it's too late.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    What was the LD share in the 2010 poll?

Some one said a couple of threads ago that teachers were disproportionately in the LD>Lab switchers. Are we in danger of drawing different conclusions from the same data when it isn't really warranted?

Basically a lot of anti-Irag war voters have returned to Labour (from LD). Not sure we can say more than that, especially specifically on education,.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    Gove is a twit. Always was, always will be. His personal polling backs that up.

Stating the obvious will always upset the PB Romneys though.
  • Options
    Who gives a stuff? In my experience teachers aren't always the brightest of coves, and when you consider the propaganda they're forever being fed by the Guardian or The Morning Star none of this is remotely surprising.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited January 2014

I could be wrong, dear father, but don't parents outnumber teachers?

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015
    Has anyone posted this Populus poll? the fieldwork is dated 20-22 Dec, so it's the poll we would have normally expected the Monday before Christmas, but is appears to have only recently gone up on their website.

Con 35
    Lab 37
    LD 12
    UKIP 9

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Online-VI-23-12-2013-3.pdf
  • Options
    I hate to point this out, but the most striking difference between the 2010 Ipsos-MORI poll and this YouGov poll is support for the LibDems:

2010: 23%
    Now: 8%

The LibDem approach of differentiating themselves from Michael Gove doesn't seem to be working too well.

This is part of a wider difficulty they have: if they differentiate themselves by joining in with the Tory-bashing, those who are minded to agree with them are given less, not more, reason to support them.
  • Options

So, 900 teachers, 15% swing from Con-Lab. That's 135 people per constituency, hardly earth shattering, and that's before you take into account that this is an NUT poll, or that current polls show a 6-7% swing in any case, accounting for about 60 of those 135 teachers. All in all, a total non story from a psephological point of view.

What is substantially more significant is that this poll suggests the teaching profession is massively unrepresentative of society in general. One suspects that a similar poll of university professors / lecturers would turn up similar results. The entire education system in this country is seemingly riddled with leftyism, which is very unhealthy.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Charles said:

Basically a lot of anti-Irag war voters have returned to Labour (from LD). Not sure we can say more than that, especially specifically on education,.

It's a bit of a stretch to claim Iraq is the primary motivation for most lost lib dem voters.

Far better to look at the evidence of when the most of the switching took place and what effect it had.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Not hard to spot is it?
    What's interesting is that despite the Clegg and the lib dems losing this huge chunk of voters (and quite obviously most of them going to labour) it didn't stop labour and the tories from being incredibly close in the polls and indeed there was a crossover in more than one poll at the end of 2011, even after the lib dem VI had crashed to it's current calamity Clegg level. The changes after that are mostly all Osbrowne's omnishambles which then decoupled the tory and labour VI and really kickstarted the kippers from a manageable 5% or so (for Cameron) to their current stubbornly high levels.

The truth is that the lib dem switchers didn't matter that much before the kipper surge since crossover was still possible. They also might not even matter if the kipper VI gets to the level again where it starts taking a bigger chunk out of little Ed's polling. The higher the kipper VI goes the more likely it is that it won't be just the tory vote it's eating into and the kipper vote is definitely going to get much higher yet again before the May EU elections. Count on it.

Little Ed will be posturing on kipper core issues alongside Cammie soon enough. His advantage is that his own backbenchers don't run about like headless chickens quite as much as tory euroscpetics do when the EU comes up. However, little Ed is very weak on his own personal image and still has huge trouble persuading votes or cost of living and other areas where disillusioned voters do not respond well to him so he can no more afford to lose voters to the kippers than Cammie can.

Will many kippers come back to previous parties? Very likely. Will all of them though? No and those voters all matter.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Wind turbines are currently generating 6.06GW in the UK, the highest ever figure:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

and that's before you take into account that this is an NUT poll

It's a yougov poll.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    I'd guess that if you polled any other group of public sector professionals - doctors, nurses, social workers, university lecturers - you'd get similar results. The Tories seem to delight in blaming all the faults in public services on the staff, which may go down well with the Daily Mail but is hardly likely to win votes amongst this key constituency. A generation ago the majority of teachers and doctors would probably have been Tories - they have now lost this core constituency - which is part of the explanation for the Tory decline in urban areas and the North IMO.
  • Options

I hate to point this out, but the most striking difference between the 2010 Ipsos-MORI poll and this YouGov poll is support for the LibDems:

The LibDem approach of differentiating themselves from Michael Gove doesn't seem to be working too well.

This is part of a wider difficulty they have: if they differentiate themselves by joining in with the Tory-bashing, those who are minded to agree with them are given less, not more, reason to support them.

UKIP coming from nowhere to be neck to neck with LDs among teachers is also interesting.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Robert Kimbell ‏@RedHotSquirrel
    Lord Ashdown tells The Times that "Labour supporters who previously voted (LDEM) to keep the Tories out would now turn to (UKIP)" - IB Times

I've got no figures on this. Can this be Paddy? ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    AndyJS said:

Wind turbines are currently generating 6.06GW in the UK, the highest ever figure:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

What's equally amazing is that we have about 20 gigawatts of idle CCGTs right now, plus another 6gw of idle ocgts and oil
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2014
    The Tories' forgetting how to attract support from those motivated by public service is a major weakness. Sometimes their rhetoric seems almost designed to push support away.
  • Options
    Hell, you learn a lot of things on OGH's site:

Only today I learned that "Pakistanis" existed during the 'Wars of the North-West Frontier'. Impossible historically: Unless you are someone who believes in Keir Starmer's version of Law and History....
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Mick_Pork said:

Charles said:

It's a bit of a stretch to claim Iraq is the primary motivation for most lost lib dem voters.

Far better to look at the evidence of when the most of the switching took place and what effect it had.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Not hard to spot is it?
    What's interesting is that despite the Clegg and the lib dems losing this huge chunk of voters (and quite obviously most of them going to labour) it didn't stop labour and the tories from being incredibly close in the polls and indeed there was a crossover in more than one poll at the end of 2011, even after the lib dem VI had crashed to it's current calamity Clegg level. The changes after that are mostly all Osbrowne's omnishambles which then decoupled the tory and labour VI and really kickstarted the kippers from a manageable 5% or so (for Cameron) to their current stubbornly high levels.

The truth is that the lib dem switchers didn't matter that much before the kipper surge since crossover was still possible. They also might not even matter if the kipper VI gets to the level again where it starts taking a bigger chunk out of little Ed's polling. The higher the kipper VI goes the more likely it is that it won't be just the tory vote it's eating into and the kipper vote is definitely going to get much higher yet again before the May EU elections. Count on it.

Little Ed will be posturing on kipper core issues alongside Cammie soon enough. His advantage is that his own backbenchers don't run about like headless chickens quite as much as tory euroscpetics do when the EU comes up. However, little Ed is very weak on his own personal image and still has huge trouble persuading votes or cost of living and other areas where disillusioned voters do not respond well to him so he can no more afford to lose voters to the kippers than Cammie can.

Will many kippers come back to previous parties? Very likely. Will all of them though? No and those voters all matter.
    "It's a bit of a stretch to claim Iraq is the primary motivation for most lost lib dem voters."

There's a bit more to it. In areas where a large enough bloc switched to lib-dem over Iraq to give Labour no chance then all the tactical voting guardianista types switched as well. If the bloc vote switches back then the tactical voters do as well.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    edited January 2014
    Jonathan said:

The Tories' forgetting how to attract support from those motivated by public service is a major weakness. Sometimes their rhetoric seems almost designed to push support away.

All teachers are motivated by public service? None of them are there for the money, that's selfless, we should be proud.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:
    Well, this thread should be closed: that link's obviously won the debate. Who cares about reading, writing and arithmetic as long as our kids can produce puerile posters using Photoshop.
    It was meant to be mildly amusing but I suppose your circuits don't account for that.

I'll post a railway themed joke next time, one approved by the PB Hodges Committee on Funniness

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    How many voters will not vote Labour when they realise that they are contributing to the final salary pensions of teachers, civil servants, doctors, nurses, lecturers, social workers and others in the public sector?

How does this poll compare with other surveys of voting intentions of teachers? I would be very surprised if the centre left has not have a majority of support from this group.

What we really need is a by election.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:
    It was meant to be mildly amusing but I suppose your circuits don't account for that.

I'll post a railway themed joke next time, one approved by the PB Hodges Committee on Funniness

Perhaps if it was funny, I'd have laughed. ;-)
  • Options
    MrJones said:

"It's a bit of a stretch to claim Iraq is the primary motivation for most lost lib dem voters."

There's a bit more to it. In areas where a large enough bloc switched to lib-dem over Iraq to give Labour no chance then all the tactical voting guardianista types switched as well. If the bloc vote switches back then the tactical voters do as well.

That effect (such as it was) was almost certainly most pronounced at the time of Iraq, which, lest we forget was quite some time before the current Con Dem coalition. The truth is the Clegg lost almost all of those lib dems after the formation of the coalition so it's a pretty safe bet they aren't responding to Iraq but a coalition with the tories.

Iraq cost labour a great many voters and not all of them went back but let's not pretend why the huge numbers of lib dem switchers has taken place since 2010 and what is self-evidently driving them.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

How many voters will not vote Labour when they realise that they are contributing to the final salary pensions of teachers, civil servants, doctors, nurses, lecturers, social workers and others in the public sector?

You're behind the times. At the next GE all the major public sector final salary pension schemes will be closed.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Perhaps if it was funny, I'd have laughed. ;-)
    Well, I found it funny, so don't worry yourself unnecessarily about it.

rcs1000 said:

I could be wrong, dear father, but don't parents outnumber teachers?

Do the Tories have a 41% lead among parents, then?

• Options
    Neil said:

dr_spyn said:

You're behind the times. At the next GE all the major public sector final salary pension schemes will be closed.
    Indeed, the NHS pension package has changed significantly for example.
    I think people who are very Tory overestimate how much people care or feel negatively towards public sector workers. All it takes is to be acquainted with a few to realise it's not how the Daily Mail make it out to be.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

UKIP coming from nowhere to be neck to neck with LDs among teachers is also interesting.
    The UKIP identifiers probably intend to vote for Team Clegg. They're just too embarrassed to admit to being LDs to a pollster.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    It's a pity that such a high proportion of the teaching profession in Western countries is so remorselessly left-wing.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

MrJones said:

That effect (such as it was) was almost certainly most pronounced at the time of Iraq, which, lest we forget was quite some time before the current Con Dem coalition. The truth is the Clegg lost almost all of those lib dems after the formation of the coalition so it's a pretty safe bet they aren't responding to Iraq but a coalition with the tories.

Iraq cost labour a great many voters and not all of them went back but let's not pretend why the huge numbers of lib dem switchers has taken place since 2010 and what is self-evidently driving them.
    I'm not arguing the coalition wasn't the reason for the switch back - just saying when a bloc switches there's a double whammy effect from tactical voters switching as well.
  • Options
    @Neil Even if the final salary schemes are closed to new entrants the problem hasn't gone away.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Do the Tories have a 41% lead among parents, then?

Clearly your maths is somewhat deficient. If there are only 900 teachers in Gove's constituency then he will need nowhere near a 41% lead amongst parents to offset a similar lead amongst teachers.
  • Options
    Hell, you learn a lot of things on OGH's site [ii]:

Why children obviously stopped reading under "Labour reforms". Seriously folk; * get an education....

* Larfable accounts of the causes of the 'First World War': Atleast HB clearly states the subtle cause of the 'Second World War' correctly...!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's a pity that such a high proportion of the teaching profession in Western countries is so remorselessly left-wing.

I imagine if anything, the ideological pressure being put on public services at the moment will only galvanize support for the Left among public sector workers - and discourage conservatives from working there in future. In much the same way as I doubt many Labour supporters are queuing up to work for the banks

• Options
    "A French secret agent planted a “bomb” in the grounds of the residence of Paris’s envoy to London to test British security – provoking fury when it was discovered by Scotland Yard.

Two containers of high explosive were discovered by a sniffer dog shortly before the ambassador was due to host President François Mitterrand in October 1984. When police questioned the security officer responsible, more explosive was found stashed in his hotel room."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/national-archives-french-planted-bomb-in-london-to-test-security-9035751.html

Did the questioning involve falling down a flight of stairs?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Sean_F said:

I imagine if anything, the ideological pressure being put on public services at the moment will only galvanize support for the Left among public sector workers - and discourage conservatives from working there in future. In much the same way as I doubt many Labour supporters are queuing up to work for the banks

like Blair?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Neil Even if the final salary schemes are closed to new entrants the problem hasn't gone away.

The vast majority of public servants wont be in final salary pension schemes by the time of the next GE. Just look at the OBR projections for the cost of these schemes before declaring them a "problem".

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited January 2014

I'd guess that if you polled any other group of public sector professionals - doctors, nurses, social workers, university lecturers - you'd get similar results. The Tories seem to delight in blaming all the faults in public services on the staff, which may go down well with the Daily Mail but is hardly likely to win votes amongst this key constituency. A generation ago the majority of teachers and doctors would probably have been Tories - they have now lost this core constituency - which is part of the explanation for the Tory decline in urban areas and the North IMO.

I doubt very much indeed if there has been a Tory majority amongst teachers for many decades. Certainly when I was at school in the late 70s and early 80s there was a very dominant and open anti-Tory movement amongst teachers.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    MrJones said:

Freggles said:

Sean_F said:

like Blair?

Don't be ridiculous.

Blair does nothing to support the Labour party these days

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Somewhere between the 1960s and today, the right lost the knack of talking to people with public service motivation.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Sean_F said:

But teachers' support for left-wing politics seems constant across Western democracies. Teachers are the backbone of every left-wing party.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

MrJones said:

Freggles said:

Sean_F said:

like Blair?

Don't be ridiculous.

Blair does nothing to support the Labour party these days

he's not a party member any more then?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Somewhere between the 1960s and today, the right lost the knack of talking to people with public service motivation.
    'public service motivation'? Isn't it patronizing how the Left only regard the state-funded brigade as being worthy of crediting with societal contribution? All the other poor souls who work all hours for a business are clearly only motivated by sickening greed.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Sean_F - If you look at the findings from 2010 it doesn't suggest they were that left wing. The Tories on 29% versus 37% nationally and Labour on 40% versus 29% nationally. Given that public sector employees tend to do better under Labour I don't think that's an enormous divide. Something has happened since 2010 though.

Why does Gove behave as he does? Ultimately he's a Newspaper columnist by trade. A bit of contention probably comes naturally.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    This reminds me of the Ken Clarke NHS reforms back under the last Conservative Government. As a nurse at that time, I cannot emphasis enough just how unpopular Clarke was with some front line staff in the NHS during this period. And yet with hindsight, he was right to try to do what he did to reform the NHS back then. A point worth making when this whole argument should be about delivering the best most cost effective public services.
    Fat_Steve said:

Interesting. And not good news for Gove.
    I like him and I think he's a good thing. But, clearly, he's not great at winning over the sceptical or the semi-hostile.

I wonder how many state school teachers there are nationally? And how that averages out per constituency?

• Options

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

'public service motivation'? Isn't it patronizing how the Left only regard the state-funded brigade as being worthy of crediting with societal contribution? All the other poor souls who work all hours for a business are clearly only motivated by sickening greed.
    QED.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Teachers pensions are under threat by the long overdue reforms - hence they resent the govt. In other news the pope is reportedly a catholic.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the merits, or otherwise, of public sector workers it's very odd from a strategic point of view for the Tories to appear to write them off as potential supporters. Set alongside their failure to secure the boundary changes and their gratuitously insulting approach to the Lib Dems during the AV referendum campaign it makes you wonder if they are seriously interested in winning the majority that has eluded them for 22 years.

Or do they expect the voters to be so awed by Osborne's economic brilliance that they will be swept back to power in spite of the obstacles they have created for themselves?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Tim Montgomerie: "I don't understand why the privately courteous Gove is quite so confrontational with the teachers. His big weakness"

1. He's not; he's confrontational with the unions, which looks like the same thing and sounds like the same thing but isn't (though it does largely have the same effect).

2. He likes the cut and thrust of a good debate.

3. He's confident in his case and knows the unions will oppose him whatever.

4. He knows that unions will propose discussions partly in order to slow down implementation (and partly for presentation), and he knows he may very well be on borrowed time. The unions can afford to wait; Gove can't.

5. He wants the public to see that the unions oppose progress and the interests of pupils, parents, the economy and the country. He has some way to go to win this argument.
  • Options
    Anecdote: [Just for antifrank]

First job was as a "youth-worker" with LBL (1985; so an English-speaking contract). My senior was a "big-boned" under-graduate Primary-School teacher-student (that had no more than two 'A'-Level qualifications; one a 'D', other an 'E') who was studying at Goldsmiths, New Cross. Her - similarly employed colleague - had a similar back-story: The subsequent case of The Bamber Family made the latter her 'famous'.

Thankfully my voluntary time at Rathfern showed me not all teachers were useless; just. The teacher I spent many years working with had a beautiful daughter - an Oxbridge First in Classics, no less - who chose to follow in her mums footsteps.

:bless:
  • Options

Leaving aside the merits, or otherwise, of public sector workers it's very odd from a strategic point of view for the Tories to appear to write them off as potential supporters. Set alongside their failure to secure the boundary changes and their gratuitously insulting approach to the Lib Dems during the AV referendum campaign it makes you wonder if they are seriously interested in winning the majority that has eluded them for 22 years.

Or do they expect the voters to be so awed by Osborne's economic brilliance that they will be swept back to power in spite of the obstacles they have created for themselves?

Indeed. Sometimes it seems that winning broad political support (including the public sector) is somehow at odds with what the Tories want to achieve politically.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Gove vs the teachers' unions reminds me of Kissinger's comments on the Iran/Iraq war.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MrJones said:

Freggles said:

Sean_F said:

like Blair?
    Well, that says more about Blair than Labour. I doubt there were many Labour supporters queuing up to work for George Bush either.

It is something of a mystery why Blair - a natural Christian Democrat in European terms - joined Labour when it was going through one of its most left-wing phases. I can only assume that with no natural home, he thought it his least-worst option, though that must have involved considerable foresight at a time when the Tory Wets were still a significant factor in the party, as well as refusing to jump onto the SDP bus.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    David, you hit the nail squarely on the head with that post.

Tim Montgomerie: "I don't understand why the privately courteous Gove is quite so confrontational with the teachers. His big weakness"

1. He's not; he's confrontational with the unions, which looks like the same thing and sounds like the same thing but isn't (though it does largely have the same effect).

2. He likes the cut and thrust of a good debate.

3. He's confident in his case and knows the unions will oppose him whatever.

4. He knows that unions will propose discussions partly in order to slow down implementation (and partly for presentation), and he knows he may very well be on borrowed time. The unions can afford to wait; Gove can't.

5. He wants the public to see that the unions oppose progress and the interests of pupils, parents, the economy and the country. He has some way to go to win this argument.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed. Sometimes it seems that winning broad political support (including the public sector) is somehow at odds with what the Tories want to achieve politically.
    This is one of the many interesting parallels that can be drawn between today's Tory party and the Labour Party of the 1970s and 80s. Both have unswerving confidence in the rightness of their beliefs, despite the clear polling evidence that the voters are not on the same wavelength. Both contemptuously reject the support of those groups whom they consider unworthy - small business people and entrepreneurs in the case of old Labour and public sector workers in the case of today's Tories. And both laid much of the blame for the perceived ills of the day at the door of the EU......

• Options
    Jonathan said:

We all know what that all means: Leftist code for conservatism to dance to the 'progressive' tune. Forget all that - such capitulation is wrecking the free world. The 'public sector' should be confronted with a single, stark choice: embrace right-wing solutions and stop causing trouble or be destroyed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

We all know what that all means: Leftist code for conservatism to dance to the 'progressive' tune. Forget all that - such capitulation is wrecking the free world. The 'public sector' should be confronted with a single, stark choice: embrace right-wing solutions and stop causing trouble or be destroyed.
    An excellent example of the "sod the voters" attitude that makes the Tories so attractive....
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    dr_spyn said:

"A French secret agent planted a “bomb” in the grounds of the residence of Paris’s envoy to London to test British security – provoking fury when it was discovered by Scotland Yard.

Two containers of high explosive were discovered by a sniffer dog shortly before the ambassador was due to host President François Mitterrand in October 1984. When police questioned the security officer responsible, more explosive was found stashed in his hotel room."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/national-archives-french-planted-bomb-in-london-to-test-security-9035751.html

Did the questioning involve falling down a flight of stairs?

Wasn't that a YPM plot?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Another polling note for Mr. Gove.
    Last year teachers were 2nd only to doctors in the Ipsos-MORI Trust Table with 86% saying they tell truth
    See pic.twitter.com/EI2SQN3QDu
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

Somewhere between the 1960s and today, the public sector ethos (outside the armed forces) became very hostile towards the right.

Which came first, and why, are the questions.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2014
    Only 8%..!

I’m surprised the Lib Dem share is so low, or do they only appeal to ‘serious’ academics.?
  • Options

Last year teachers were 2nd only to doctors in the Ipsos-MORI Trust Table with 86% saying they tell truth

Oh, gosh!

Al-Beeb irony from the - now delinquent - journalist! How the youth must blush....

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    A poll of teachers find most vote Labour, whatever next, a poll of stockbrokers and bankers find most vote Tory?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Yes. Chicken and egg.

Somewhere between the 1960s and today, the public sector ethos (outside the armed forces) became very hostile towards the right.

It can be no coincidence that the PC experiment was first tried out in the softer state-funded areas at this time (education, social work, health, local government). Once such mechanisms were in place it was no problem for the more invidious and questionable aspects of Leftism to get a foothold. The takeover continued with the police a few decades later. As you say, the military have been spared so far, but probably not for much longer.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

Yes, it's the stupid electorate's fault that they've stopped voting Conservative and nothing to do with the actions and rhetoric of that party at all. A telling insight in to why the Conservative Party no longer wins parliamentary majorities. Oh wait, that's the fault of everyone else too....the BBC, the "liberal elite", etc etc.
  • Options
    Interesting article by the Chinese Ambassador in yesterday's Telegraph, saying Britain and China won WW2 together against Japan, as he tries to get UK support against what China sees as Japanese aggression
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/10546442/Liu-Xiaoming-China-and-Britain-won-the-war-together.html
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited January 2014

Probably more likely that they know the public sector is one large part of the problems faced by this country and that any solution which has a realistic chance of pulling the country out of the mess it has been plunged into must involve radical reform of that sector. Starting from that point there is probably not much point trying to win them over as they know it will not work.

The public sector in their current form are part of the problem. They are not willingly going to be part of the solution. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
  • Options
    SeanF I also think the abolition of the grammar schools also was an issue, the average grammar teacher was more likely to be a Tory than the average comprehensive or secondary modern/high school teacher, indeed grammar school teachers were probably more Tory than many private school teachers as the Tories were the only party committed to them. They would never have been Thatcherite on the whole, but many 'One Nation' Tories could be found in grammar school common rooms!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

Yes, it's the stupid electorate's fault that they've stopped voting Conservative and nothing to do with the actions and rhetoric of that party at all. A telling insight in to why the Conservative Party no longer wins parliamentary majorities. Oh wait, that's the fault of everyone else too....the BBC, the "liberal elite", etc etc.
    You're being very defensive.

Why the public sector shifted Left over 50 years (by no means confined to the UK) is surely an interesting question.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interesting article by the Chinese Ambassador in yesterday's Telegraph, saying Britain and China won WW2 together against Japan, as he tries to get UK support against what China sees as Japanese aggression
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/10546442/Liu-Xiaoming-China-and-Britain-won-the-war-together.html

China's contribution to WWII was quite significant. Japan took around 1m casualties, fighting the Chinese.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

China's contribution to WWII was quite significant. Japan took around 1m casualties, fighting the Chinese.
    True. But in this case it appears pretty clear that the current aggressor is China rather than Japan. Certainly their sea grab is unsupportable by international law.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

The Tory Party have decided to undermine and attack public services, and those who work in public services, sometimes seemingly as their main priority of Government.

Gove is a symptom of this disease. When and why it infected the Tories, I'm not sure.

That kind of paranoia is interesting. There is a real siege mentality in some public sector organisations. The Tories are always out to get to get them, or else, Labour behaving like Tories.
  • Options

Probably more likely that they know the public sector is one large part of the problems faced by this country and that any solution which has a realistic chance of pulling the country out of the mess it has been plunged into must involve radical reform of that sector. Starting from that point there is probably not much point trying to win them over as they know it will not work.

The public sector in their current form are part of the problem. They are not willingly going to be part of the solution. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
    Another classic example - a whole swathe of the electorate written off as being a "problem" and not worth bothering with. Do you actually want to win a general election ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

Why the public sector shifted Left over 50 years (by no means confined to the UK) is surely an interesting question.
    It's odd, I would say that a career in the public sector is quite a conservative choice.

Yet some on the right here almost seem to think that people need to be cured of their public sector ethos.

Did the Conservatives simply stop being conservative?

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

It's odd, I would say that a career in the public sector is quite a conservative choice.

Yet some on the right here almost seem to think that people need to be cured of their public sector ethos.

Perhaps you could define this 'public sector ethos'?

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rgeQ0QD-o

:awaits...:

• Options
    SeanF Indeed, RichardT But the Chinese appeal to the UK interesting, anyway, off to watch Drive
  • Options
    I am not a Tory so no I do not want (them) to win :-)

And I am not writing them off. I am being realistic.

The public sector needs to be slashed dramatically - certainly far more dramatically than the current Government are doing or proposing. They are unsustainable in the modern economic era. Something many other countries are also discovering.

Now if I were a public sector worker with little interest in politics or economics (as is the position for the majority of the population not just those in the public sector) all I would see is that the nasty Tories/Coalition/ Labour (because they will be forced to do the same thing if they win after 2015) are trying to destroy my job and my pension. So I would most likely oppose them. Under those circumstances there really is no point the Tories trying to butter them up. Saying nice things whilst taking away someone's job isn't usually a recipe for success.

Pragmatism. Something that is sadly lacking amongst a lot of posters on here.
  • Options
    I'm more concerned that politicians as a whole have so little private sector experience, yet they enthusiastically seek to regulate it despite having almost no knowledge of what they're dealing with.

The shadow Cabinet is an extreme example of this: only Rachel Reeves has any significant private sector experience. But the same criticism could be levelled at both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I think the school system is excessively complicated, probably because politicians want to be seen to make ripples and score points over the short run. It's a monstrosity, and growing more appendages yearly. What needs doing is to stop all this proliferation with academies, free schools, foundation schools, etc., and to concentrate on getting some improvements steadily over the long haul in universal comprehensive state schools.

Standards do need improving, but I wonder whether Gove isn't just another narrowly educated points scorer, strong in the humanities but weak in science and maths. Why I believe he even demonstrated a lack of knowledge of basic science by confusing thermodynamics with Newtonian mechanics on one occasion.

Whatever: broadly, the goal should be to teach literacy, numeracy, scepticism and a basic knowledge of science. That's asking a lot, but it would be sensible asymptote.

Just a thought: as a part of the state system I would like to see streaming offered pupil by pupil and subject by subject for each of the last few years.
  • Options

Another classic example - a whole swathe of the electorate written off as being a "problem" and not worth bothering with. Do you actually want to win a general election ?
    I suspect that for many Tories the answer to that question is no. They believe that Cameron is a lost cause, a pale blue Blair out to betray true Toryism to the dark forces of the EU, and if he is defeated the Tories can reinvent themselves as a truly radical force. A Miliband government is bound to be a disaster and will pave the way for the election of a new right-wing Tory/UKIP government which will usher in a return to the glorious 1980s.

Another striking parallel with the Labour Party of the 1970s, many of whose members believed Callaghan to be little different from the Tories and looked forward to defeat as an opportunity to return to the glories of a past era - in their case the 1940s. Except that the electorate did not want to go with them. I very much doubt they will follow the Tories back to the future either.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    The performance of our educationalists over the last 20 years makes the performance of batsmen in Australia this winter look inspiring. We have fallen down the international performance tables in a way that is alarming and threatens the welfare of all who live in this country.

So the starting point must be that we have been doing things wrong, that we need to change the way we teach, what we teach and how we teach. This is where Gove is and he is right.

The tricky part is that like any other set of employees teachers will respond better to encouragement than hectoring, leadership more than bullying and inspiration rather than assertion. This is where Gove has had a lot less success. What we need is an education profession that is dedicated to improvement and better results. Ideally this will be self led. It certainly needs to be a team effort.

Why do teachers think it is ok to tolerate useless teachers in their schools damaging the children for whom they are responsible? Why are they not professionally offended by the incompetents undermining their hard work and effort? Is it just for a quiet life or because it is easier? Is there not a collective sense of responsibility in the majority of our schools? If not what do we do about it?

I give Gove a lot of credit because he seems much more interested in these questions than how teachers might want to vote. That does not mean he has got all the right answers at all.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    antifrank said:

I'm more concerned that politicians as a whole have so little private sector experience, yet they enthusiastically seek to regulate it despite having almost no knowledge of what they're dealing with.

The shadow Cabinet is an extreme example of this: only Rachel Reeves has any significant private sector experience. But the same criticism could be levelled at both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems.

Care to elaborate on the difference you'd think it'd make?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Chicken and Egg.

Yes. Chicken and egg.

I think we've got a very strange version of the Conservative Party in power, one that will not be missed and not be replicated ever again.

They are ideologically pure, but their ideology is warped and bears little resemblence to traditional conservatism or even the Thatcherism they profess to worship.

Sercos, Toby Youngs and Hedge Funds are to be trusted, everyone else is the enemy and should be attacked by all means foul or fair.
    A spot on analysis. In some ways it is like the "Tea Party" Republicans in the US who drone on and on about being standard bearers for the conservatism of Reagan with little or no actual understanding of how Reagan governed or what he stood for.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The PB Romneys are always wrong. The PB Romneys never learn.

LOL

:)

Be amusing to see just how low Lawyers would be on that kind of list. ;)
  • Options
    @corporeal They'd have some conception of the importance of a business generating revenue and keeping overheads under control when not supported by a safety net.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited January 2014
    antifrank said:

The shadow Cabinet is an extreme example of this: only Rachel Reeves has any significant private sector experience.

I wouldn't mind "experiencing" Rachel :)

(Sh1t! Did I press "send"???)
This discussion has been closed.