Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LADBROKES tighten the odds on Sturgeon NOT being the First Minister by the end of the year – politic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited January 2021 in General
imageLADBROKES tighten the odds on Sturgeon NOT being the First Minister by the end of the year – politicalbetting.com

The controversial events over Alec Salmond departure from the party continue to pose problems for Sturgeon. The Telegraph is reporting that SNP ministers got legal advice from a top QC ‘ that it would lose the Alex Salmond judicial review which it proceeded with.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First...like the Irish for our spare jabs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,190
    Second. Why am I always second in the queue at the butchers?
  • Options

Good choice. They speak English (so the labels would not need to be translated and replaced) and cross-border travel increases the risk of reinfecting Blighty. I don't suppose we can get it done by the Cheltenham Festival in mid-March?
  • Options
    Doesn't she look tired.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,190

Doesn't she look tired.

She's got a lot on. What with the break up of the union and then there's all that scottish independence business.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Does it still count if she declares UDI and makes herself President of the SSSR?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    If the last thread was vaccinated and this one isnt wouldnt we be safer staying there?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Good choice. They speak English (so the labels would not need to be translated and replaced) and cross-border travel increases the risk of reinfecting Blighty. I don't suppose we can get it done by the Cheltenham Festival in mid-March?
    March 2022, perhaps.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Doesn't she look tired.

OGH is a master of the damaging screengrab.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Second. Why am I always second in the queue at the butchers?

Are you in the EU?
    That would explain it
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

If the last thread was vaccinated and this one isnt wouldnt we be safer staying there?

It got Sputnik. Better here.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    https://twitter.com/SpinningHugo/status/1355996335418318848?s=20

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - AstraZeneca offered eight million more doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union to try to defuse a row over supplies, but the bloc said that was too far short of what was originally promised, an EU official told Reuters.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

You can go back and forth. The government is still only *talking* about closing the borders.

Come to think of it, in the last couple of weeks it has become common to have two threads running simultaneously.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

https://twitter.com/SpinningHugo/status/1355996335418318848?s=20

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - AstraZeneca offered eight million more doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union to try to defuse a row over supplies, but the bloc said that was too far short of what was originally promised, an EU official told Reuters.

She needs to work on her salesmanship to convince people all the pram throwing was effective. More effective, indeed, than if they'd just discussed it without the diplomatic mess ups.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Doesn't she look tired.

Tired, or stressed?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,391

Doesn't she look tired.

She's got a lot on. What with the break up of the union and then there's all that scottish independence business.
    And that's just the stuff inside her head.
  • Options
    9/4 to 2/1?
    Have many front pages been held?
  • Options

Doesn't she look tired.

I think that's what betting folk might call a related contingency.
  • Options
    Mike's conclusion seems sound. Just doesn't seem likely enough to be worth it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    FPT: Less than a million over 75s still to do, out of nearly 6 million. There's about 6.7m in 65-75 tranche, so with 9m jabs done, we must be making good inroads into those too.
  • Options

FPT: Less than a million over 75s still to do, out of nearly 6 million. There's about 6.7m in 65-75 tranche, so with 9m jabs done, we must be making good inroads into those too.

I know a number of my extended family in those groups getting jabbed this.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    It's not particularly good news as a pro-indy person, but from what I have tried to understand from the various blogs and sources about "Sturgeon v Salmond", about SNP internal politics and transphobia, and general uncertainty as to what the independence plan is despite supposed 11 point plans, the wheels seem to be coming off the SNP bandwagon. Something seems to have gone quite wrong. In a way perhaps it isn't a surprise as it happens to most parties at some point (albeit over different things), but the SNP have done a decent job up to now of this stuff not being an issue.

The only question seems to be is any of this going to hit the general public awareness sufficiently soon before the election in May, which isn't that clear. For reasons I don't quite understand the mainstream media haven't really picked up a lot of this as much as expected, although it is beginning to percolate through as per the header plus general interest from Sky News.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328
    A question for our friends in the North. Is the coverage of this being muted by

- What the fuck? What The Actual Fuck!?
    - Legal reasons.

??

I am wondering if it is the first - it is so insane that it can't get past reality filters.

Some of the other stuff that is going on as well - The one about prosecutors admitting malicious prosecution? Why? What?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

My 74/72 year old parents have not been contacted yet. Hoping we hear something next week.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    tlg86 said:

My 74/72 year old parents have not been contacted yet. Hoping we hear something next week.
    If we can maintain 600k a day during the coming week, that looks likely to be quite soon. Depending on vaccine delivery, of course.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm not that old, but I am clinically extremely vulnerable, and I still haven't heard anything either. I think I am supposed to be done with the 70-74 year olds.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If we can maintain 600k a day during the coming week, that looks likely to be quite soon. Depending on vaccine delivery, of course.
    The SAS are launching the regular operation to siphon supplies from the Pfizer and AZ facilities on the content as we speak.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

tlg86 said:

I'm not that old, but I am clinically extremely vulnerable, and I still haven't heard anything either. I think I am supposed to be done with the 70-74 year olds.
    Try the online booking site.

It says you need to have had your letter, but at least from family members it is as if the system sometimes allows people in the correct groups to book before they got their (while still being in the correct group).

I don't know if it just isn't doing as much checking as it should, or if there is a delay between the backend system being primed with a big tranche of people before all the letters are spat out.
  • Options
  • Options

tlg86 said:

You need to have had a letter, text, or email, and I haven't had one yet.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I received a telephone call from our surgery for both of us to go in next day

Just gave our names and straight in without any paperwork
  • Options

tlg86 said:

You can still try it with your NHS number. A relative was a bit OCD about this, and from the beginning kept entering it and it would say No, No, and then yes that's fine. Their letter didn't arrive until a week after that.

Is that cheating the system? I don't know, they are in a priority group, so not exactly queue jumping.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I had a call last week, but it was for a test at hospital.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Tax return completed

2 kg of oranges marmaladed

January sorted.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Does this mean I have to listen to sodding Michael Vaughan?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1356006994310815748?s=20
  • Options

tlg86 said:

My wife likewise. It seems that GPs have been given very considerable power in the system, to exercise clinical judgement.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

You can still try it with your NHS number. A relative was a bit OCD about this, and from the beginning kept entering it and it would say No, No, and then yes that's fine. Their letter didn't arrive until a week after that.

Is that cheating the system? I don't know, they are in a priority group, so not exactly queue jumping.
    I might give that a go: I had a Christmas present arrive in the post a couple of weeks ago, so it is possible the vaccine one has got lost...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,162
    IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

It’s the little wins that count! Well done
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Pagan2 said:

The European versions of both threads are still in the caccination queue.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    When the EU crashes and burns, I reckon France and Germany can forget that CPTPP membership....

(BTW rcs1000, following on from yesterday, Truss was saying that membership of CPTPP would reduce whisky tarrifs: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-free-trade-pacific-cptpp-truss-b1795295.html )
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

It got Sputnik. Better here.
    Why am I tingling in my breasts after the jab?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

tlg86 said:

I might give that a go: I had a Christmas present arrive in the post a couple of weeks ago, so it is possible the vaccine one has got lost...
    That was their concern. In their area it was taking sometimes 10-14 days just for letters to get through due to all the posties off sick.
  • Options

9/4 to 2/1?
    Have many front pages been held?

No 55%
    Yes 45%

:innocent:
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

I got my 2020 moth records in this month - over 6,300 of them, written up, reviewed and accepted.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Our vaccinations were at the Venue Cymru Theatre and conference centre
  • Options
    Just wait till President Biden wakes up from his nap...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

I got my 2020 moth records in this month - over 6,300 of them, written up, reviewed and accepted.
    Who receives them?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

The SAS are launching the regular operation to siphon supplies from the Pfizer and AZ facilities on the content as we speak.
    Rene's cafe in Brussels still the rendezvous point I guess.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

My mum was called the same day as her appointment ( nearly two weeks back). She had to fill in a short form before getting her jab that evening.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

JIT

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

tlg86 said:

Friends who are teachers but only in their 40s have been told they can sign up for the end of day 'spare' vaccination list at the local mega site. If you are in or near a large city, this may be worth looking at?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

My mum was called the same day as her appointment ( nearly two weeks back). She had to fill in a short form before getting her jab that evening.
    We only had to give our dates of birth and address
  • Options
    This thread might have been useful betting wise when Salmond's evidence first became public, when (presumably) the odds were juicier. Unfortunately this blog was in the middle of the Trumpgasm at the time.
  • Options
    felix said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Good moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The European Onion are stooling our Coovid Jobs!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385
    felix said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Will they smuggle them out in rolled up copies of the "Fallen Madonna with the big boobies"?

I'll get my coat....
  • Options

This thread might have been useful betting wise when Salmond's evidence first became public, when (presumably) the odds were juicier. Unfortunately this blog was in the middle of the Trumpgasm at the time.

If your Trumpgasm lasts more than 4 years, consult a doctor.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JonathanD said:

tlg86 said:

Friends who are teachers but only in their 40s have been told they can sign up for the end of day 'spare' vaccination list at the local mega site. If you are in or near a large city, this may be worth looking at?
    I think there is an element of organized chaos...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/healthy-young-people-receiving-covid-vaccine-in-parts-of-england

Perhaps going forward we might follow the Israeli approach is you can check if a centre predicts they will have spare and then queue up from a certain time.

Amazing how the Guardian managed to find one "disaster" case where somebody got 1000 jabs they didn't want. 9 million done, but look over here, we have one example of somebody getting the wrong delivery.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

tlg86 said:

In my circle, progress is as follows:

*Mother-in-law (cohort 2) only got jab yesterday, but she's in Wales and we know they were a little pedestrian early on
    *Stepfather (cohort 3) last Thursday
    *My husband and my best friend from work (who are both shielders) were notified of their respective appointments on Friday, and will be seen on the 3rd and the 8th respectively
    *Dad (also cohort 4) is still waiting for his, but had a generic text message from the GP advising in so many words that they were very busy but hadn't forgotten him and would get there
    *Nothing yet about Mum (cohort 5)

I think the takeaway from this is that there are plenty of people out there who have only just had appointments, or are still waiting and starting to fret a little, but there's no reason to suppose, either from what we hear in the media or from personal experience, that the country isn't on track for everyone in those top four groups to at least have an appointment confirmed by mid-February.

I don't blame anyone who's not yet had their appointment for worrying (my better half and I were both sweating on it a little until the call came,) but one gains the impression that the NHS has this under control and will be in touch. It might not be necessary to start chasing just yet.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    First Starmer, now Sturgeon? Next thread: "Why Ed Davies' days as Lib Dem leader already look numbered."
  • Options

felix said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Will they smuggle them out in rolled up copies of the "Fallen Madonna with the big boobies"?

I'll get my coat....
    We might need six big ones if they are particularly successful.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,475

RobD said:
    When the EU crashes and burns, I reckon France and Germany can forget that CPTPP membership....

(BTW rcs1000, following on from yesterday, Truss was saying that membership of CPTPP would reduce whisky tarrifs: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-free-trade-pacific-cptpp-truss-b1795295.html )
    YEs - about a billion a year of whisky exports to CPTPP countries.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?
    A shadowy organisation headed by the County Moth Recorder.

They then feed into a network of datasets.

Gives "them" the ability to track the movements of every moth in the country. Day or night...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

DoB to check against priority grouping, and address so they can check the chip is working.

I assume.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

First Starmer, now Sturgeon? Next thread: "Why Ed Davies' days as Lib Dem leader already look numbered."

Based on past history I'd be more worried for Neil Hamilton.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I've been trying to book since Friday, but I'm stuck in the "wrong link" glitch.

Need to wait for a new letter.
  • Options

felix said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Good moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The European Onion are stooling our Coovid Jobs!
    Quick check - How many German Spies are in this hospitalon this thread?
  • Options

JonathanD said:

tlg86 said:

I think there is an element of organized chaos...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/healthy-young-people-receiving-covid-vaccine-in-parts-of-england

Perhaps going forward we might follow the Israeli approach is you can check if a centre predicts they will have spare and then queue up from a certain time.

With all the databases, spreadsheets and apps floating around, one of my hopes is that the NHS would produce a unified app that allows you to access your patient records, test results and appointments and also fully integrates with Covid testing and vaccinating.

There must be huge potential to take advantage of QR codes, contactless checking in, push notifications etc. Now seems the perfect opportunity to do something bold in this area.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?

Gives "them" the ability to track the movements of every moth in the country. Day or night...
    They've got Bill Gates' microchips in them, haven't they?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

- and then I can write one:

"Will Boris Johnson EVER leave Downing Street?"
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    fpt for Kinabalu

Fair enough - you aren't vaxxed, and I withdraw my chortling.

I still think your policy is both naive and actively dangerous. A half-vaxxed UK will end up back in the pandemic toilet very quick, with a ruined economy, and in a position to help no-one, for a decade. Silly idea
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

I've been trying to book since Friday, but I'm stuck in the "wrong link" glitch.

Have you tried this? You don't need your special link. Those links as far as I know are to send you to a specific vaccine centre that you have been assigned to. This link allows you to select from a range of ones (more than likely a bit further apart / a mega one).

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

Well, maybe. Not sure an independent Scotland will get grandfathered into that CPTPP membership....
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?

A certain Mark Solomons mother had a piece in the Spectator a few weeks back, with similar accounts to what you reported here. He is in Dorset whereas you're in Devon aiui. But perhaps you're acquainted?

• Options
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

Try this link: it just needs your NHS number (which should be on any letter they have sent you) and date of birth.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.
    The flip side is it (I guess) opens up the UK market to easier competition from Japanese whisky, which may or may not result in a net overall benefit to the Scottish market.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.
    Singapore is 320m. Mexico 120m ish.

But Japan is on the top 10 list by volume, not value. That surprised me.

https://twitter.com/ScotchWhiskySWA/status/1095569493613518848
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?

They've got Bill Gates' microchips in them, haven't they?
    Shhhhh.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    If the SNP get a majority in May and Boris refuses a legal indyref2 then the SNP tensions will come to a head over what to do next.

If more reports damaging to Sturgeon come out over the Salmond affair then she will be in difficulty
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    edited January 2021

tlg86 said:

My brother phoned on my mum's behalf in response to a letter she got asking her to make an appointment... he was asked a few questions, including our mum's gender (!).

When she got to the appointment my 83 year old mum was asked if she was pregnant, which made her laugh.

Still, she's had the jab, no issues. Well done the NHS, HMG's Vaccine Taskforce and Oxford/AstraZeneca!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    edited January 2021

Does this mean I have to listen to sodding Michael Vaughan?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1356006994310815748?s=20

The cricket news has cheered me up a lot. The last time England away test matches were shown live on ordinary British TV was about 1987 I think.

Id probably do the time-honoured thing of watching the TV muted with the radio commentary on.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.

It's mainly a blends market. There's a big highball trend there.
  • Options
    He's taken a risk. We may have to get him to Rene for "onward movement"....
  • Options
    Re Sturgeon, I read today that the SNP is "planning" an indyref2 before Xmas 2021.

Now, I know this is just Sturgeon (menaced by Salmondgate) playing to her Tartaned jihadis in the cheap seats, but surely this is such a ludicrous proposition it will backfire?

Setting aside the 99.9% likelihood she will get snubbed by Westminster, there is simply no way a referendum could be legislated and organised and held during a hideous pandemic, which will still, very much, be with us - either at home or abroad or probably both - til the end of the year.

I know the Nats are keen on empty gestures, but surely this is so empty it makes them look absurd? Perhaps theuniondivvie, when he stops being disgusted with everyone, can explain

• Options
    Endillion said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.
    The flip side is it (I guess) opens up the UK market to easier competition from Japanese whisky, which may or may not result in a net overall benefit to the Scottish market.
    Japanese whisky is OK, but I prefer the Scottish stuff.

Actually, my favourite whisky isn't whisky at all but whiskey: Bushmills 16yo.
  • Options
  • Options
    Endillion said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.
    It doesn't do the volumes to be a serious competitor here. Nice bonus for collectors and whisky snobs though.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?

Is there a 20 year atlas published for moths like there is for plants? I had to deal with the best part of a million plant records for our county for the last period. Kept me busy in the first lockdown...

There's obviously a few amateur naturalists out there still but not as many as there used to be. All this campaigning about climate change and yet very few new recorders actually monitoring what is out there...

• Options
    Leon said:

fpt for Kinabalu

Fair enough - you aren't vaxxed, and I withdraw my chortling.

I still think your policy is both naive and actively dangerous. A half-vaxxed UK will end up back in the pandemic toilet very quick, with a ruined economy, and in a position to help no-one, for a decade. Silly idea

I don't remove mine since he wants the vaccinations to continue through to his age group but then stop before mine and others.

Which makes no sense unless he's drinking Toby Young's koolaid.
  • Options
    The Mail has been told that at one North London hospital, refusal among BAME nurses is so prevalent, vaccines prepared for the day are having to be thrown away when these frontline staff fail to turn up for their appointments.

And yet black and Asian NHS staff have accounted for 63 per cent of Covid deaths, despite making up only 21 per cent of the workforce.

One senior nurse at a London NHS practice told us: ‘Vaccine fear is a huge problem among my black British staff. More than half of my small group of nurses won’t have it, even though they are on the front line of the vaccine roll-out and should be role models to encourage uptake in their communities.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9208051/When-Covid-puts-ethnic-minorities-risk-uptake-jab-lower.html

I am sure there is some selective stuff in this article from the Mail, but we really can't have front line staff not getting vaccinated.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I was trying to think of what the EU rescinding A16 reminded me of and it’s this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=312LkJs9Dd8
  • Options
    Leon said:

Re Sturgeon, I read today that the SNP is "planning" an indyref2 before Xmas 2021.

Now, I know this is just Sturgeon (menaced by Salmondgate) playing to her Tartaned jihadis in the cheap seats, but surely this is such a ludicrous proposition it will backfire?

Setting aside the 99.9% likelihood she will get snubbed by Westminster, there is simply no way a referendum could be legislated and organised and held during a hideous pandemic, which will still, very much, be with us - either at home or abroad or probably both - til the end of the year.

I know the Nats are keen on empty gestures, but surely this is so empty it makes them look absurd? Perhaps theuniondivvie, when he stops being disgusted with everyone, can explain

On the other hand, should UK gov out crazy her and push for a summer 2021 referendum?
  • Options
    Speaking of those who've Ratnered their reputation, it seems Aung San Suu Kyi and her fellow party leaders have been arrested.

I doubt she'll get a fraction of the sympathy she used to get.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184
    MattW said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

Japan is a v big market.

Every 7/11 in Taiwan has several scotches, so I get that. But I have visited France many times and never seen Scotch drunk. Which part of french society drinks Scotch?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tax return completed

January sorted.

Who receives them?

A certain Mark Solomons mother had a piece in the Spectator a few weeks back, with similar accounts to what you reported here. He is in Dorset whereas you're in Devon aiui. But perhaps you're acquainted?

Not in my facebook group, but hard to keep track. The Devon recorder said the number of recorders was up nearly 50% last year, the number of moth records some 60%. Lockdown, innit? An easy (and rewarding) thing to do from home.
This discussion has been closed.