Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It would be playing into UKIP’s hands to bar Farage from th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It would be playing into UKIP’s hands to bar Farage from the debates

Judging by comments coming out of the Miliband camp it appears that Labour has decided that it would not work in their favour if they were seen to be black-balling Nigel Farage from the GE2015 leaders TV debates.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Whilst I am not a fan of Farage as leader of UKIP for a lot of reasons, I think it is a big mistake to believe he can't think on his feet after all the year's of heckling and barracking he has received at almost every public meeting and appearance he has ever made.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    If being excluded allows him to play the victim card then being included will be great for his party's exposure during the campaign and either way he will be laughing (and Cameron crying!).
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Politically it might make sense, logistically less so - he still has no members of parliament, and it's elections that we use to really gauge public opinion. Why not Alex Salmond?

Although I'm against debates in the first place. We have leaders in place for all the parties all the way through parliament, and they get to argue quite happily if they can get the air-time - not something Farage is short of.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Yawn...

Can we have Paisley Jnr in the debates? He's got more seats...

UKIP ain't going to be in the debates. Get over it...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    If Farage is invited, why not the leaders of all the other parties with, you know, actual MPs in Parliament?

They have just as much or as little chance of becoming PM as he does.
  • Options
    Good first session of 2014 for England. Australia 78/3
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (FPT, re SeanT etc.)

The good thing about I.Q.s is that the people who have a high I.Q. are intelligent enough to understand how arbitrary, meaningless and irrelevant they are to real life, and the people who have a low I.Q. are too thick to know or care anything about it what it is anyway.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Posters should not accuse new posters of being other posters. Such comments will now be deleted, repeated violations of this rule, and your right to instantly publish maybe revoked

You are Dame Edith Evans (1888-1976).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Cyclefree said:

If Farage is invited, why not the leaders of all the other parties with, you know, actual MPs in Parliament?

Or ministers, even - which should be the acid test for inclusion...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 2014
    Having Farage in the debates would be horrible for Cameron. Nearly all the Tories' populist attacks on Labour take the form of, "X is a scandal and a terrible menace to civilization. Under the Tories there would be marginally less of X than under Labour". These arguments cannot survive the presence of someone else on the stage saying, "We should stop X."

The chicken accusation isn't good news either, so Cameron should get out in front of this ahead of the Euros: Announce his position for the general election debate now (no MPs, no debate slot) but challenge Farage to a one-on-one debate ahead of the Euro elections. That limits the damage if Farage comes out ahead, and has a big upside if Con beat UKIP in the Euros, which they may well do.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Cyclefree said:

Yes, but that cuts both ways - Clegg is clearly not going to be PM any more than Farage, but nobody is suggesting excluding him.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, but this type of political shannigans from both Labour and the Libdems would come across as totally transparent. We have all been here before with Alex Salmond in this debate, and despite being the elected FM of Holyrood with a handful of SNP Westminster MP's and a couple of MEP's, he still failed to make the cut in the 2010 Leadership debates. So excluding Nigel Farage and UKIP who have NO Westminster representation is simple not going to wash as a major issue or negative for Cameron and the Conservatives as a result. For Nigel Farage and UKIP on the other hand, its hardly going to aid their visibility in the GE campaign as a result.

Lets get some perspective here. George Galloway and his Respect party have managed to do what Nigel Farage and UKIP have so far still failed to achieve after several attempts, and that is to win a Westminster by-election in this Parliament. But nobody is seriously suggesting that Galloway should then get an automatic place in the debates on the back of this single win.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    David Cameron's EU referendum bill 'unlikely' to become law.
    David Cameron is facing embarrassment over Europe as peers warn that his attempt to pass a referendum law faces failure

according to the Daily Telegraph.

Oh, dear !
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Cyclefree said:

Yes, but that cuts both ways - Clegg is clearly not going to be PM any more than Farage, but nobody is suggesting excluding him.
    Clegg is a minister of the Crown, and likely to remain one, post 2015. It's not impossible he could be PM, even pro tempore...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @fitalass

nail.. head...

and Galloway has x times more chance of being in the next parliament than Farage....
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Nick, you cannot cherry pick which minor party leaders you can invite or exclude from these debates simple based on who you think might be more harmful to Labour's opponents. Either you decide that Farage, Salmond & Co are all welcome, or the debates should simple include the Leaders who are in a position to become PM or a power broker in a Hung Parliament. But its quite ridiculous to invite a Leader of a party has no Westminster representation while ignoring the other minor parties who have long held Westminster seats.

I am sure that both the Conservatives and the Labour party would be quite happy to exclude Nick Clegg and the Libdems from the Leadership debates. But as the third party in UK Westminster politics with nearly 60 MP's despite their poor Euros performances, and still the likely kingpin in any Hung Parliament, I think the electorate might have something to say about that!

Cyclefree said:

• Options
    I've said what the criteria are many times:-

i) a national UK party (no separatists or sectionalists); and

ii) ministrable (no nutters, pariahs, single-issues, etc. Assume the worst until proved otherwise.)

SNP (and others, e.g. NI) don't make it on ground i). UKIP (and Respect, Greens, etc) don't make it on ground ii)...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Surely it is quite likely (or at least possible) that UKIP will have an MP before the election, so excluding them from the debates on the basis they have no representation may be a tough call. I think the issue is if - come April 2015- UKIP has only 12% or so in the polls and lags the libs, in which case I just can't see them being invited, or anyone particularly caring.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Surely it is quite likely (or at least possible) that UKIP will have an MP before the election, so excluding them from the debates on the basis they have no representation may be a tough call. I think the issue is if - come April 2015- UKIP has only 12% or so in the polls and lags the libs, in which case I just can't see them being invited, or anyone particularly caring.

• Options
    @rcs1000 What odds are you offering? I don't think they will have an MP before (or after) the next election.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The SNP were in Government at Holyrood, Alex Salmond was elected FM for god's sake! They also had both Westminster and EU representation when they were excluded from the last Leadership debates leading up to the 2010 GE despite their protests.

So its hardly a tough call to then exclude Nigel Farage and UKIP from a Westminster Leadership debate before the next GE when UKIP couldn't even win a Westminster by-election over the last three years when another party Leader has managed to achieve this feat.

And lets not forget that UKIP now hold less MEP seats than they did at the last Euro elections as well. There are far more established minor parties who have consistently won Westminster seats and who are not even in contention to be invited to take part in a GE campaign Leadership debate as a result.
    rcs1000 said:

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    Of course Nigel Farage can't appear in the TV debates for leaders of the main political parties.

The man lacks a degree and doesn't know where to put his apostrophes.

If the BBC needs to give the kippers airtime in the interests of impartiality then it should screen Al Murray as the Pub Landlord before the debates and claim it is a party political broadcast on behalf of the United Kingdom Independence Party.

Whatever next? OGH suggesting Nick Clegg is included?.
  • Options
    @fitalass

You are muddling up between rational grounds for making a decision and the political narrative that may result.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    RodCrosby said:

ii) ministrable (no nutters, pariahs, single-issues, etc. Assume the worst until proved otherwise.)

I don't like the sound of this, who gets to decide who's a nutter? Bear in mind that some of the people they had along last time believe in the existence of invisible super-heroes, so it's not like there's some kind of rational, non-bonkers consensus that you can be outside of.

In the Japanese debates they had something like 15 people of varying degrees of crazification, it seemed to work out OK, aside from the fact that it was the second-craziest person on the stage who ended up getting elected.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    In New Zealand up to the 2005 election, all party leaders were in the debates. It became unwieldy so from 2008 onwards a two tier debate system was put in place, a head to head between the two putative PMs and a minor parties debate where everyone else got stuck in.

I don't see why some form of two tier debate solution can't be applied here also.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Cameron should call their bluff and invite the Greens, Plaid and the SNP along as well...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A pre Euro election debate would be ridiculous without UKIP; and with current polling It would be difficult to exclude UKIP from any GE debate, now that genie is out of the bottle.

What does need doing though is a change in the format of the debates so that they are less presidential in style and more cabinet involvement. A series of debates with a half dozen different themes spread over six or more weeks would be a better format. This could start with Education, then Health, then Home Office, then Foreign affairs, then Finance policy then culminating in Leaders, with a good gap of 3-4 weeks before the actual poll would be my preferred format. We would then see the parties manifestos laid out and the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team, rather than the trivia of whether Dave is balding or Ed needs more nasal surgery.

We have the advantage of knowing when the election is so can have a longer campaign than previously.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Clearly Nigel Farage should be included but only in a post watershed Leaders Debates as I'm unsure the viewing public is ready for a senior politician to address them with a finger up north.

On the other hand .... titters .... perhaps Farage will be invited to the Leaders Debate on the basis that :

1. Ukip has no MP's.
    2. Whacko and fruitloops are under-represented in politics, if not in Ukip
    3. Ukip represent the vast majority of the UK resident 29million Bulgarians post 1st Jan.
    4. Leader Debates with Farage will reveal the best of British comedy since Morecambe and Wise.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Well, so much for that!
    EU referendum bill faces failure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10547669/David-Camerons-EU-referendum-bill-unlikely-to-become-law.html

Is this what Cammo was banking on all along?

UKIP giving a derisory cheer today.
  • Options
    @Jack

I would dispute point two. All the evidence that I see demonstrates that swivel eyed loons are already well represented in existing parliamentary parties. Just this week we had policies on all women train sets and a call for a freeze on gym memberships for underpriveliged fatties.
    JackW said:

Clearly Nigel Farage should be included but only in a post watershed Leaders Debates as I'm unsure the viewing public is ready for a senior politician to address them with a finger up north.

On the other hand .... titters .... perhaps Farage will be invited to the Leaders Debate on the basis that :

1. Ukip has no MP's.
    3. Ukip represent the vast majority of the UK resident 29million Bulgarians post 1st Jan.
    4. Leader Debates with Farage will reveal the best of British comedy since Morecambe and Wise.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes, but that cuts more than both ways - Miliband is clearly not going to be PM any more than Clegg, but nobody is suggesting excluding him.

On the "Fat Chance Mate" basis of exclusion from Leader Debates since 1979 then only the following would have taken place :

1979 - Callaghan and Maggie
    1992 - Major and Kinnock
    2010 - Brown and Cameron

• Options
    I do so much hope that Farage gets included. A debate with him included is pretty much guaranteed to be more entertaining and his direct 'speak it as you see it' style would actually put the others under quite some pressure to be more open and less 'soundbitey'. I suspect Miliblob might fear this aspect more than Dave.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Provided UKIP are still polling over 5%, they should be included. It would be good for politics.
  • Options

@Jack

I would dispute point two. All the evidence that I see demonstrates that swivel eyed loons are already well represented in existing parliamentary parties. Just this week we had policies on all women train sets and a call for a freeze on gym memberships for underpriveliged fatties.

JackW said:

1. Ukip has no MP's.

They seem like "Sensible Policies For A Better Britain" although perhaps not radical enough ....

An All Woman HS2 train line with special first class gym carriages for female fatties of East European decent on benefits since 1st January 2014 ?!?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

A pre Euro election debate would be ridiculous without UKIP; and with current polling It would be difficult to exclude UKIP from any GE debate, now that genie is out of the bottle.

What does need doing though is a change in the format of the debates so that they are less presidential in style and more cabinet involvement. A series of debates with a half dozen different themes spread over six or more weeks would be a better format. This could start with Education, then Health, then Home Office, then Foreign affairs, then Finance policy then culminating in Leaders, with a good gap of 3-4 weeks before the actual poll would be my preferred format. We would then see the parties manifestos laid out and the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team, rather than the trivia of whether Dave is balding or Ed needs more nasal surgery.

We have the advantage of knowing when the election is so can have a longer campaign than previously.

A series of themed debates would be nice for us political anoraks; the general public would rapidly lose interest.

There would also be much more smoke than light.

I mean, what are the purpose of having even the debates we had last time, from a) the politicians' point of view, and b) the publics?
  • Options
    Dave may also appear as the safe middle option between Farage and Miliband, so there would be gains as well.

A prolonged GE campaign with UKIP in the debates would expose the paucity of UKIPs policies, and would show the opposition on the left and the right to the sensible centrist policies of the coalition. There is nothing to fear. Politicians should trust the great British public and accept their wisdom.
    Patrick said:

I do so much hope that Farage gets included. A debate with him included is pretty much guaranteed to be more entertaining and his direct 'speak it as you see it' style would actually put the others under quite some pressure to be more open and less 'soundbitey'. I suspect Miliblob might fear this aspect more than Dave.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Jein, in answer to the thread premise. Excluding Farage gives him the opportunity to do a live webcast or similar, putting forward his points and attacking those of others without rebuttal. Including him gives him a greater air of legitimacy, and the stupid (more on this below) nature of the debates will prevent any questioning beyond the most basic level.

However, the reason Farage should be excluded is not party political advantage this way and that, but the fact that he has not a single MP. With a stronger electoral record it would be different.

The most important point is that the debates are themselves harmful to democracy.
    1) 90 minutes thrice seems like a long time. But each debate is themed and each leader gets equal airtime. So that's just 30 minutes on each topic, minus the time the moderator spends speaking. It's superficial.

2) They dominated the last electoral campaign. Goodbye grand speeches, farewell clever policies, the dumbing down of politics continues apace as the man most capable of not saying anything stupid for 30 minutes wins the day.

3) The worm is so badly designed as to seriously affect in a negative way the result. For those unaware (pay attention, I've banged on about this for ages) the worm is a little line on the screen at the same time as the debates. A small panel (around 8-12, I think) of 'ordinary members of the public' have hand-held dials which they use to indicate approval or disapproval with a speaker's words at a given instant. This was found last time to have a significant impact on the perspective of viewers, which is very bad news.

The panel are meant to be objective/neutral/representative of the general public view. But such a small panel is wide open to mob effect (someone rates Clegg low because they loathe the Lib Dems, others follow suit and he looks as popular as plague) or someone for or against a given party saying "Oh yes, I am a floating voter. Who shall I vote for?" when really they have a picture of Ed Miliband in their purse.

4) Fairness is impossible. Farage is on 15-20% ish in the polls but has no MPs. Does he get included? No, that's mad. He has no electoral record worthy of inclusion. But his party is regularly outpolling Clegg's. But if we remove Clegg then we don't have a man whose party is actually in government.

The debates were a good idea but a rubbish reality. They should be scrapped. They won't be.

Party leaders will be accused of cowardice if they dare to point out the approach just doesn't work here. Media organisations will stamp their little feet and wet their little panties if they're denied their 90 minutes of electoral limelight.

So, the broken, stupid debates will continue. And whether Farage is there or not, they're bloody daft.
  • Options
    I could get behind that as a policy if only those women who had cleaned behind the fridge were permitted. Standards must be maintained!
    JackW said:

@Jack

JackW said:

1. Ukip has no MP's.

They seem like "Sensible Policies For A Better Britain" although perhaps not radical enough ....

An All Woman HS2 train line with special first class gym carriages for female fatties of East European decent on benefits since 1st January 2014 ?!?

• Options

Snip good stuff

You are utterly right about the worm. It is far too open to abuse.

If anyone wants to read the relevant paper:
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0018154
    In sum, our data indicate that viewers exposed to the worm are subject to social influence processes which later form the basis of their opinions. Thus, the responses of a small group of individuals could, via the worm, influence millions of voters. This possibility is not conducive to a healthy democracy, and therefore we argue that broadcasters should avoid the simultaneous presentation of average response data with televised election debates.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, having the worm live (as an option or standard) would be an indefensible disgrace. Imagine if a party got even a single supporter into the panel as a 'neutral'. It would dramatically alter the entire result for the entire programme.

Bit sleepy now, but I might check that link later.
  • Options

I could get behind that as a policy if only those women who had cleaned behind the fridge were permitted. Standards must be maintained!

JackW said:

@Jack

JackW said:

1. Ukip has no MP's.

That Sir is a Bloom-ing good idea !!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    JackW said:

Miliband is clearly not going to be PM any more than Clegg

Eh ?

Been on the Dan Hodges sauce ?
  • Options
    Campaigns generally provide more smoke than light. Remember bigotgate, the war of Jennifers ear and we're alriiigghhht!?

Debates are going to happen, what we need is a format that provides entertainment and betting opportunities for us political anoraks.

I am not sure that there is much evidence that these debates have much effect on shifting views or votes in any country. There is the potential for gaffes, but short of Farage doing a Jonny Vegas after a good session in the green room, these are more entertaining than significant.

A series of themed debates would be nice for us political anoraks; the general public would rapidly lose interest.

I mean, what are the purpose of having even the debates we had last time, from a) the politicians' point of view, and b) the publics?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    If you allow Farage, I can't see how you could then deny the leader of the greens (whoever they are) a place either.

Any rules on this are arbitrary.
  • Options
    Whether crazy or inspired, the plan to establish a colony on Mars is certainly ambitious. They've decided on the initial 1,000 potential candidates, which they'll whittle down by reality TV:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2532567/Mars-One-project-selects-1-000-people-hoping-live-Red-Planet.html
  • Options

Campaigns generally provide more smoke than light. Remember bigotgate, the war of Jennifers ear and we're alriiigghhht!?

Debates are going to happen, what we need is a format that provides entertainment and betting opportunities for us political anoraks.

I am not sure that there is much evidence that these debates have much effect on shifting views or votes in any country. There is the potential for gaffes, but short of Farage doing a Jonny Vegas after a good session in the green room, these are more entertaining than significant.

So the sole reasons for having the debates are to entertain and provide betting opportunities.

Riiiiggghhht.

Scrap them immediately.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Eh ?

My dear fellow, you don't really think the British nation is going to entrust its future to Ed Miliband ?!?

I regret to advise you that young Ed will follow in the marvellous heritage of inevitable British LoTo losers that recently has included :

Howard .. IDS .. Hague .. Kinnock and the never to be forgotton Foot.

• Options
    I wonder what the worm would do if someone (presumably Farage) proposed restricting the vote to those who watched the debates...
  • Options

So the sole reasons for having the debates are to entertain and provide betting opportunities.

Riiiiggghhht.

Scrap them immediately.
    I'm with you on that. The evidence in from 2010 shows they are just circus's. Very little serious politics is shown in them.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    JJ..I agree, the Debates are a a complete waste of everyone's time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2014
    Nick Clegg could have been Prime Minister in 2010, and possibly in 2015 (or whomever the Lib Dem leader is in 2015)

Just imagine in 2010 if Labour were really serious about the Rainbow Coalition, Nick Clegg could have had the option to either form a coalition with the Conservatives or with the Rainbow alliance.

You can imagine, Labour desperate to hang to power, could have said, Nick, we are prepared to make you Prime Minister of this Rainbow coalition.

I can't see anyone making the same offer to Nigel Farage, for a variety of reasons, mostly due to the lack of UKIP seats.
  • Options
    There may be little 'serious politics' but the debates were widely watched and had a significant bearing on voting choices (remember the Cleggasm?). Alot of people vote for parties rather than individual candidates and make their choice of party based largely on the leader's persona. So - yes - they are circuses but hugely influential and politically important circuses.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited January 2014

@JackW
    Are you saying YES or NO that the 2010 LD switchers will not stick with Labour on anything like the scale that we are seeing in the polls?

That is the only way that PM EdM can be stopped.

• Options

I wonder what the worm would do if someone (presumably Farage) proposed restricting the vote to those who watched the debates...

Some interesting thinking there IA, and btw welcome back.

Clearly restricting the franchise must be a well defined and thought out policy. My first inclination is :

The voting franchise shall be restricted to Scottish armigers whose bearings predate 1745 and who have achieved a holding in excess of 500 acres.

We simply shouldn't want to concern those who do not qualify with the hum drum nature of governance of the nation.

Ah ..... Mrs Jack W has put in a nod for ladies who have achieved a holding of 500 pairs of shoes. This appears to be a sensible and modest amendment .... because she tells me it is so .... and I know my constituency !!

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited January 2014

If you allow Farage, I can't see how you could then deny the leader of the greens (whoever they are) a place either.

Remember the Norwich North by-election in 2009. Local BBC ran debate of selected candidates and included the Greens but excluded UKIP. This was on the basis that Greens strong in the city and had a number of councillors.

At the elections UKIP did better than the Greens

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2014
    Expect the Nats to stop banking with HSBC

Stephen King, chief economist at HSBC, said independence would be “a disaster for Scotland, a shrug of the shoulders for everybody else”.

The Deputy First Minister claims the economy will win the referendum for the separatists as a series of economists warn of the damage independence would inflict on Scotland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10547796/Nicola-Sturgeon-Economy-will-decide-independence-referendum.html
  • Options
    Rather than scrap the debates, why not change them?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There may be little 'serious politics' but the debates were widely watched and had a significant bearing on voting choices (remember the Cleggasm?). Alot of people vote for parties rather than individual candidates and make their choice of party based largely on the leader's persona. So - yes - they are circuses but hugely influential and politically important circuses.

Did the Cleggasm actually have any effect on the final voting outcome? I can't quickly find a chart showing the Lib Dem's polling share before the debates, compared to their final vote share.

Was it all just media noise and fluff?
  • Options
    The full interview with various economists on Scottish Independence, they will rue the day etc

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d073c3ee-7117-11e3-8f92-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2pH02Lh10
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    fitalass said:

Nick, you cannot cherry pick which minor party leaders you can invite or exclude from these debates simple based on who you think might be more harmful to Labour's opponents. Either you decide that Farage, Salmond & Co are all welcome, or the debates should simple include the Leaders who are in a position to become PM or a power broker in a Hung Parliament. But its quite ridiculous to invite a Leader of a party has no Westminster representation while ignoring the other minor parties who have long held Westminster seats.

I am sure that both the Conservatives and the Labour party would be quite happy to exclude Nick Clegg and the Libdems from the Leadership debates. But as the third party in UK Westminster politics with nearly 60 MP's despite their poor Euros performances, and still the likely kingpin in any Hung Parliament, I think the electorate might have something to say about that!

Cyclefree said:

It is a joke including the Lib Dems but excluding other party leaders. It is just a con between the Tories and Labour , they want to continue taking their turns at wrecking the country. They prefer filling their own pockets to democracy.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Eh ?

My dear fellow, you don't really think the British nation is going to entrust its future to Ed Miliband ?!?

I regret to advise you that young Ed will follow in the marvellous heritage of inevitable British LoTo losers that recently has included :

Jack. Are you saying YES or NO that the 2010 LD switchers will not stick with Labour on anything like the scale that we are seeing in the polls?

That iis the only way that PM EdM can be stopped.

I'm saying you're paying too much heed to a group that :

a. May not recall correctly how they voted.
    b. May have dropped of the register.
    c. Will have their influence diluted by (my expected) higher turnout.
    d. Have not fully engaged with the prospect of a Miliband government.
    e. Still have time to change their mind again.
    f. Know the poll that count is in May 2015 not snap shot polls now.
    g. May vote differently in the marginals.

• Options
    If you live in a safe seat, which most people do, the chances of being caught up in any kind of meaningful political discourse during a GE campaign are pretty remote. The idea that the debates dumbed anything down in 2010 is ridiculous.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Did the Cleggasm actually have any effect on the final voting outcome? I can't quickly find a chart showing the Lib Dem's polling share before the debates, compared to their final vote share.

Lib Dem ICM share of the vote before the first Debate 20%.

Lib Dem ICM share of the vote after the first Debate 30%

Final ICM Lib Dem share of the Vote 26%

Actual Lib Dem share of the vote 23%
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited January 2014
    It would be to Farage's advantage not to be invited. He would over-shadow the debates in his absence. In the news bulletins that followed, he would be able to get over whatever message he wanted, in his own time, and in his own way.

If NF were there, how would he perform? I reckon, reasonably. He can temper his tub-thumping style effectively enough, and look polished and sensible. But he would have two disadvantages: lack of practice in the HoC, and he does not do forensic.
  • Options

Fair enough. But any change would have to be aimed at giving them a meaningful purpose beyond just giving media types hard-ons.

I cannot see how they can be changed to become more meaningful. They will continue to be home to sound-bite ephemera.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10547669/David-Camerons-EU-referendum-bill-unlikely-to-become-law.html

Yup, he must know the procedures so he must have known this was the likely outcome. Some of his backbenchers insisted, so he must have figured it couldn't do any harm to go through the motions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Eh ?

I think he may well be. But I might be wrong. To say he has no CHANCE is what I take issue with.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Lib Dem ICM share of the vote before the first Debate 20%.

Lib Dem ICM share of the vote after the first Debate 30%

Final ICM Lib Dem share of the Vote 26%

Actual Lib Dem share of the vote 23%
    Thanks. So any effect of the debates in the actual result would be hard to ascertain, especially as other factors (e.g. the Guardian coming out in favour of the Lib Dems) also occurred during that period.
  • Options
    One muses on which constituency will be the 2015 version of Basildon 1992 when it became absolutely clear, that despite expectations, Kinnock had failed.

Will our very own Nick Palmer presage a night of gloom for Ed or will Nick be a ray of sunshine in the dark skies of Ed's failure ??
  • Options

Fair enough. But any change would have to be aimed at giving them a meaningful purpose beyond just giving media types hard-ons.

I cannot see how they can be changed to become more meaningful. They will continue to be home to sound-bite ephemera.

The entire GE campaign is about sound bites. How many voters get to hear any politician make an entire speech or read party manifestos? An achingly low number. Instead, they get their information from the newspapers and the TV - both of which pick and choose what they decide to cover. Moderated debates take out the middleman.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Depressing thread. The debates (and the qualification rules) really demonstrate the cracks in our constitutional settlement. I (like most people) will not get to vote for any of the of the potential PMs.

If UKIP stand more than 300 candidates, it is possible that Farage could command a majority in the HoC. So on that basis he is a potential PM.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

Good thing too... as well as inevitable.

Wonder how many gullible Tories fell for all that Parliament Act posturing?
  • Options
    JJ

I do seem to remember some ridiculously high anomalies in the LD polling round about this time. On 20 April, a YouGov poll put the Liberal Democrats on 34%, the Conservatives on 33% and Labour on 28%.

They didn't get anywhere near that in the 2010 GE despite getting their best result ever.
  • Options
    Just had a quick look at the Discussion part of that piece:
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0018154#s4

Sums up the problems quite well. The worm is wide open to bias and has a significant impact on voters' opinions. It's got to be axed.

I doubt it will be, for the same reasons cretinous politicians think using polygraphs on paedophiles who are out of prison is a good idea.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Remember the Norwich North by-election in 2009. Local BBC ran debate of selected candidates and included the Greens but excluded UKIP. This was on the basis that Greens strong in the city and had a number of councillors.
    At the elections UKIP did better than the Greens
    That may have been their public justification, but essentially the BBC regard the Greenoids as mainstream and UKIP as extreme, and they make editorials decision which reflect that mindset. It says much more about the BBC than the parties concerned.

• Options

The entire GE campaign is about sound bites. How many voters get to hear any politician make an entire speech or read party manifestos? An achingly low number. Instead, they get their information from the newspapers and the TV - both of which pick and choose what they decide to cover. Moderated debates take out the middleman.
    "Moderated debates take out the middleman."

Rubbish. The middleman are the achingly tight rules debate rules. Remember the 76-point agreement by which the 2010 debates were run?

The debates were a farce, and will continue to be a farce. Reality-TV politics for the gormless.
  • Options
    JackW said:

One muses on which constituency will be the 2015 version of Basildon 1992 when it became absolutely clear, that despite expectations, Kinnock had failed.

Will our very own Nick Palmer presage a night of gloom for Ed or will Nick be a ray of sunshine in the dark skies of Ed's failure ??

The election of a Labour MP can never be a "ray of sunshine" to anyone. Well, hardly anyone ... defence lawyers did quite well out of many of the last tranche.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

Cyclefree said:

Clegg has MPs in Parliament. That's the reason for inviting him. Farage does not. Until UKIP shows that it is capable of winning a seat I don't see why he should be put on a par with the other leaders. The Greens have more entitlement to participation in the debate than UKIP based on Parliamentary performance.

And I do think that Parliamentary performance should be the key - since we are talking about elections to that very Parliament.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    If Ukip win 10 MPs then they can be in the debates in 2020 - fair enough.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Eh ?

I think he may well be. But I might be wrong. To say he has no CHANCE is what I take issue with.
    I might be guilty of an ever so mild case of political hyperbole and Ed might have a tiny chance if Cameron was found in bed with a black lesbi*n Bulgarian benefit cheat of pensionable age chanting against the monarchy whilst eating babies and glugging on an inferior claret .... but .... ok .... the duff claret might tip the balance

But you get my drift ....

• Options

MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

Yup, he must know the procedures so he must have known this was the likely outcome. Some of his backbenchers insisted, so he must have figured it couldn't do any harm to go through the motions.
    The difficulty for Cameron (or ant PM, come to that) is that whilst most of us just want to get on with our lives, the membership-of-the-EU-is-leftie-high-treason-brigade are as obsessed with it as John Loony is with himself. My local Tory councillor, a perfectly reasonable woman when discussing most other topics, starts to froth at the mouth when the subject comes up. It's sad, really.

I also think it's a generational thing - people whose childhood mainly consisted of their parents' (and indeed grandparents') war stories seem to have trouble adjusting to an organisation in which Germany, whom they suppose we defeated in those wars*, is so influential.

~~~

*On the other hand, I was taught that we didn't win either World War - the Americans did. Obviously I'm only mentioning this in the hope that it will derail the thread completely and Our Genial Host will have to write another one to get the discussion back to anywhere within hailing distance of political betting...

• Options

Rubbish. The middleman are the achingly tight rules debate rules. Remember the 76-point agreement by which the 2010 debates were run?

The debates were a farce, and will continue to be a farce. Reality-TV politics for the gormless.

There is no law stating the debates must remain the same. Unfortunately, Josias, not everyone has your profound wisdom and intelligence. Some of us are just "gormless" and would prefer to see our political leaders present their cases without their views being edited by journalists.

• Options
    My own hunch is we'll have three debates in 2015, but they'll be one on one.

Cameron v Miliband

Miliband v Clegg

Cameron v Clegg

Remember Miliband doesn't want to be tag teamed by the PM and his Deputy.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, Cameron and the Tories need to get out some clear guideline for the debates so as to avoid being ambushed. Personally, I think he should advocate both debates and UKIP's inclusion. For all the talk about 'they don't have any MPs', it would be absurd and publically unjustifiable to exclude a party which is polling more strongly than one that will be included (and will have done so for two years or more), which is almost certain to have finished in the top two in the last national election (maybe first), which has consistently scored seconds in by-elections and which polled ahead of the Lib Dems in the 2013 locals and will probably do so again in 2014. They consistently beat the Lib Dems in the PCC elections a year ago.

Put simply, I don't think the public will accept arguments based on questionable constitutional niceties (the debates are a recent innovation and anyone asserting constitutional principles is doing so on very thin substance). If they see the Lib Dems in - and they will be in - then they won't accept UKIP out. Mike is right on that: it will look like a cosy status quo protecting their own.

Any rules have to look forward (i.e. how well are they likely to do after the election), as well as back. You could, for example have made a case to exclude Ross Perot from the 1992 US presidential debates; you could have made a case to include him in 1996; you couldn't credibly have advocated both positions.

On the question of impact, it's unclear who would be most damaged by a strong UKIP performance, or where. All three main parliamentary parties draw some support from the coalition UKIP has put together.

For those who want UKIP's exclusion, the other alternative is no debates at all. Expect to see some kite-flying on the subject of how they distort and detract from the 'real' campaign.
  • Options
    The fact that UKIP outpoll the LDs but have no MPs says more about our electoral system than the relative merits of their political platforms. And the LDs' whole agenda is driven by a burning desire to bring in PR. By LD logic UKIP should have about 60 MPs.
  • Options

There is no law stating the debates must remain the same. Unfortunately, Josias, not everyone has your profound wisdom and intelligence. Some of us are just "gormless" and would prefer to see our political leaders present their cases without their views being edited by journalists.

That's what things like manifesto's are for...but no one bothers to read them..
  • Options
    BenM said:

MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

If this is the end it will come just before the Euro elections - which would be spectacularly bad.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

JackW said:

The election of a Labour MP can never be a "ray of sunshine" to anyone. Well, hardly anyone ... defence lawyers did quite well out of many of the last tranche.

I think Nick Palmer is certainly someone who'd determine his election as a "ray of sunshine" and even Nigel Farage might think so and it worth pulling every finger out to oust Anna Soubry !!

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, that would be a bad format. A PM debate without the actual PM participating is just daft.

Also, whilst Miliband might not want to be tag-teamed, as you put it, that would suit both Clegg and Cameron. Clegg could also use a three-man debate to try and portray himself as the middle option (not an evil baby-eating Tory, and not a weird, Marxist Miliband).

Including UKIP when they have no MPs and not the Greens would seem like an odd decision.
  • Options
    BenM is right. Dave seems to keep forgetting he has no majority on his own. Any political system fiddling he wants to make (referendums, voting systems, boundaries, MP counts, etc) needs LD support. He can't enforce the Parliament Act.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GeoffM said:

JackW said:

I think Nick Palmer is certainly someone who'd determine his election as a "ray of sunshine" and even Nigel Farage might think so and it worth pulling every finger out to oust Anna Soubry !!

Swapping one slavish Europhile drone for another is neither one thing or another for Farage (or the country)

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited January 2014
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

If this is the end it will come just before the Euro elections - which would be spectacularly bad.
    Spectacularly bad for Tories.

So good for the rest of us, then.
  • Options
    If UKIP are polling as they are now , then Cameron may as well gamble in letting them join a debate given that the following may occur
    a) the potential tory defectors to UKIP may already be in the UKIP polling and any new converts from the debates will come from Labour.
    b) Farage may mess up and shift some voters from UKIP to Tory.

If he was really cunning he could push for the inclusion of the SNP which will affect Labour but not the tories . The greens would take votes of all 3 main parties so no advantage either way to having them in or not
  • Options
    The SNP are Scottish-only. It'd be indefensible to include them (and silly, if Yes wins).
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Patrick said:

The fact that UKIP outpoll the LDs but have no MPs says more about our electoral system than the relative merits of their political platforms. And the LDs' whole agenda is driven by a burning desire to bring in PR. By LD logic UKIP should have about 60 MPs.

But the point is that it is unlikely Ukip will outpoll the Lib Dems at the election, whatever the mid term polls say
  • Options
    BenM said:

TGOHF said:

BenM said:

MikeK said:

Well, so much for that!

Spectacularly bad for Tories.

So good for the rest of us, then.
    No quotes from the govt in Mr Kirkup's article - can only think this is pre game mind games from both sides.
  • Options

That's what things like manifesto's are for...but no one bothers to read them..

No, they don't. I certainly didn't. And I would be hugely surprised if that many posters on here read the ones each party published in 2010. The simple fact is that outside of marginal seats GE campaigns are primarily fought on the TV and via the written media - online and offline. Putting leaders - and other senior frontbenchers - head to head and debating with each other can only be a positive part of that process. And there is absolutely nothing which states that the debates always have to be held in the way they were held in 2010. I'd like to see them asking each other questions, for example - and being able to comment on the answers they receive.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    The Good News continues

The Markit CIPS PMI for Construction has come in at 62.1 for December only 0.5 below November's reading of 62.6.

Optimism for 2014 has increased (57% forecasting growth, 14% a decline) and all three sub-sectors (Commercial, Residential and Civil Engineering) made strong contributions.

Key paragraph in Survey:

Higher levels of business activity reflected strong rates of expansion in all three broad categories of construction output monitored by the survey. Residential activity remained the fastest growing area of construction, but it was also the only category to post a slower pace of expansion than in November. Meanwhile, work on commercial projects rose at the steepest rate since August 2007 and civil engineering activity increased at the same pace as that reported in the previous month.

All that is needed now is for the Services PMI due on Monday to be within a point or two of its November reading and Q4 GDP looks as though it will come in near the Q2 and Q3 levels.
  • Options

The rules are indeed arbitrary but they'd still have to be justified by those writing / agreeing to them, so they'd have to be credible. I think it would relatively easy to justify UKIP's inclusion and the Greens' exclusion based on their respective electoral and polling performances in the 2010-5 period.
  • Options

Patrick said:

It did have an effect. The Lib Dems saw a measurable increase in support across constituencies they weren't targetting, which almost certainly must have come from their national exposure. It's one of the main reasons why their share increased from 2005-10 but their number of MP's fell (the others being that where the Lib Dems had a chance, the Cleggasm had less effect as there was already a strong LD campaign, and that in many of their seats, they were up against the Conservatives, who also advanced between 2005-10).
This discussion has been closed.