Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2010 Lib Dems who have switched to Labour are more like

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2010 Lib Dems who have switched to Labour are more likely to be public sector workers than any other voter group

On New Year’s eve I posted the first part of my look at 2010 Lib Dem voters who have switched to Labour and reported polling that showed that they were more certain to vote and less likely to change their minds than other groups.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    First!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    More evidence that these "2010 Lib Dems" are people who voted for Blair, couldn't vote for Brown and so far appear happier with Ed than Nick
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

More evidence that these "2010 Lib Dems" are people who voted for Blair, couldn't vote for Brown and so far appear happier with Ed than Nick

Quite possibly, although the LDs lost seats in 2010 they had gained almost a million additional votes from somewhere.

For myself as a 2010 Lib Dem I think I voted Tory in 2005 before I decided trickle-down economics was ineffective, but I don't think I'm typical of the bloc as a whole in that regard. I am a public sector worker though.

• Options
    Freggles said:

I voted Tory in 2005 before I decided trickle-down economics was ineffective

You stopped voting Tory because you didn't like the economics after 8 years of Gordon Brown...

OK.
  • Options
    FPT
    Tim_B said:

one of 6 football games today: how much better can it get

How about the Eagles beating the Cowboys by a narrow margin to win the division, at Jerryworld, in the last game of the regular season?

Happy New Year :-)
  • Options
    Is there not a fairly widespread view amongst right-of-centre opinion formers that public sector workers (other than front line service personnel, obviously) should not have votes?
  • Options

Is there not a fairly widespread view amongst right-of-centre opinion formers that public sector workers (other than front line service personnel, obviously) should not have votes?

No
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

I think the general consensus is that they should not have jobs.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

You stopped voting Tory because you didn't like the economics after 8 years of Gordon Brown...

OK.
    I think Freggles would have been better wearing bicycle clips.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Maybe they will be converted after a stint in the private sector??
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    In other words there is no such thing as 2010 LibDem to Lab switchers. They are Labour voters who flirted with the LibDems in 2010. How about a pollster asking this group about previous voting pattern. I suspect few will ever have voted Tory and normally voted Labour.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    Anyone listening to R4 Today at the moment? Guest editor, P.J. Harvey. There have been slots presented by Clive Stafford-Smith and Jon Pilger. Warning to those monitoring BBC bias: you should check your heart-rate monitor before tuning in!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055

Welcome to PB, and congratulations on such an (ahem) interesting first post.

In answer to your question: there is not. Support for the franchise as it stands if very high amongst all political parties. Debates continue about giving votes to the 16-18 year olds, and prisoners.

So unless you define "public sector workers (other than front line service personnel, obviously)" as being under 18's or prisoners, then the answer is a resounding no.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.
    It was more a question of ideology than personal experience, I was reaching political maturity and moving past the desolate wasteland of Conservative despair for the sunny uplands of Progressive Thought.

Sadly, then Nick Clegg happened.
  • Options

I think that is only on Guido's "site".

Over here they support public sector workers and people on benefits having the vote, but reserve the right to claim Labour victories are less legitimate afterwards. They like having excuses to hand.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the FT's front page splash today:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/34f1fe70-7308-11e3-8e87-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2p9py6vi7

"Britain’s economic recovery is expected to strengthen in 2014 as the world’s sixth-largest economy shrugs off fears over the sustainability of the upswing, according to a poll of economists."

"The poll respondents’ optimism chimes with the Treasury’s most recent collection of private sector forecasts, published in mid December, which showed economists on average expect growth of 2.4 per cent for 2014 – up from their estimates of 1.4 per cent for last year. Subsequent upward data revisions raise the likely growth rate close to 3 per cent, many of the economists said."

From a related piece:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a59899b2-72e1-11e3-b05b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2p9py6vi7

"George Osborne should be cautious about boasting that the recovery vindicates his deficit reduction plan, but a large majority of economists still think austerity should continue at its planned pace.

The chancellor did receive support from a majority, who said that those who opposed spending cuts because it destroyed growth prospects, “had been proved comprehensively wrong”."

When the economists start supporting the government's current course of action, be afraid. Be very afraid.

If they're right, however, this will be hugely important for the next election. These are two articles that should be read by every political wonk.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.
    It was more a question of ideology than personal experience, I was reaching political maturity and moving past the desolate wasteland of Conservative despair for the sunny uplands of Progressive Thought.

Progressive Thought's great if you have the money for it. What happens when you don't ?

The facts of life remain conservative.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I was reaching political maturity and moving past the desolate wasteland of Conservative despair for the sunny uplands of Progressive Thought.

...After 8 years of Gordon Brown.

Allright.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

Progressive Thought's great if you have the money for it. What happens when you don't ?

$33Bn squirreled away in tax havens, there is plenty of money in the world, but the people who shape the facts are conservative.
  • Options

There is a story floating round that Ed's next big idea is a new government department for spending. It is unclear what they do when "there is no money left" but I am sure he is planning a great speech to explain it all
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

$33Bn squirreled away in tax havens, there is plenty of money in the world, but the people who shape the facts are conservative.
    No they're not. Like any walk of life they're a mix from across the political spectrum. Tony had little problem being bankrolled by millionaires. The number of times we've had outed lefties like Jimmy Carr justifying their tax position as just following the rules seems to have escaped you. People with money in tax havens are simply rich people who want to keep their money, their politics has nothing to do with it.

If you're that concerned about tax havens then it might be worth asking why Labour did so little about it and borrowed at all our cost instead of closing down tax loopholes. Or was that them being progressive ?
  • Options

If you're that concerned about tax havens then it might be worth asking why Labour did so little about it and borrowed at all our cost instead of closing down tax loopholes. Or was that them being progressive ?

If the people putting the money in Tax havens are "progressives" like Jimmy Carr, then that is a surely a yes...
  • Options

Anyone listening to R4 Today at the moment? Guest editor, P.J. Harvey. There have been slots presented by Clive Stafford-Smith and Jon Pilger. Warning to those monitoring BBC bias: you should check your heart-rate monitor before tuning in!

Unlistenable! My heart rate was 200. Leftie claptrap almost wall to wall. Reached for the off button. At least it got me to the work desk early on first morning back.
  • Options

Unlistenable! My heart rate was 200. Leftie claptrap almost wall to wall. Reached for the off button. At least it got me to the work desk early on first morning back.

Even lefties have had enough

@gabyhinsliff: Rowan Williams reading his own poems on @r4today. Now everyone's back at work & there's real news again, can we pls stop with the guest eds?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    antifrank said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on the FT's front page splash today

antifrank

I believe I owe you a yellow box. Here is a summary of the main external forecasts for the performance of the UK economy. A useful companion for the FT articles you linked.
    OBR EFO (Dec 2013)                                      
    Key UK Econometrics - Main External Forecasters
    --------------------------------------------------------
    2012 2013 | 2014 | 2015 2016 2017 2018
    --------------------------------------------------------
    OBR | |
    (Dec 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.1 1.4 | 2.4 | 2.2 2.6 2.7 2.7
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.6 | 2.3 | 2.1 2.0 2.0 2.0
    Output gap -2.6 -2.3 | -1.8 | -1.6 -1.2 -0.7 -0.2
    | |
    IMF | |
    (Oct 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.2 1.4 | 1.9 | 2.0 2.0 2.1 2.3
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.7 | 2.3 | 2.0 1.9 2.0 2.0
    Output gap -2.9 -2.7 | -2.4 | -2.1 -1.8 -1.5 -1.0
    | |
    OECD | |
    (Nov 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.1 1.4 | 2.4 | 2.5
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.6 | 2.4 | 2.3
    Output gap -2.7 -2.5 | -1.7 | -1.2
    | |
    EC | |
    (Nov 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.1 1.3 | 2.2 | 2.4
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.6 | 2.3 | 2.1
    Output gap -2.8 -2.2 | -1.1 | 0.0
    | |
    NIESR | |
    (Nov 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.1 1.4 | 2.0 | 1.9 2.1 2.1 2.2
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.6 | 2.5 | 1.9 1.9 2.0 2.0
    Output gap -4.7 -4.3 | |
    | |
    BoE | |
    (Nov 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.4 1.6 | 2.9 | 2.5 2.7
    CPI inflation 2.7 2.2 | 2.1 | 1.9 1.9
    | |
    Oxford Economics | |
    (Nov 2013) | |
    GDP growth 0.1 1.4 | 2.5 | 2.4 2.6 2.6
    CPI inflation 2.8 2.6 | 1.8 | 1.8 1.7 1.9
    Output gap -5.8 -5.8 | -5.1 | -4.6 -4.0 -3.6
  • Options
    @AveryLP I'm touched. My very own yellow box.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

Conservative? You mean people like Margaret Hodge or should I say the Hon. Lady Margaret Hodge whose brother boasts on the family company website (Stemcor) that they have paid £14 million Corporation Tax in the past 3 years on turnover of approx. £1.5 billion.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

No they're not. Like any walk of life they're a mix from across the political spectrum. Tony had little problem being bankrolled by millionaires. The number of times we've had outed lefties like Jimmy Carr justifying their tax position as just following the rules seems to have escaped you. People with money in tax havens are simply rich people who want to keep their money, their politics has nothing to do with it.

That was them being hypocritical.

There may be a few lefties with a few million but I would guess the majority is from oligarchs and billionaires, I can only think of a few of them who are left-wing.

• Options
    Freggles said:

There may be a few lefties with a few million but I would guess the majority is from oligarchs and billionaires, I can only think of a few of them who are left-wing.

I could post the first Dan Hodges article of the year explaining why Ed will never be PM, but this comment from it is far more entertaining
    Bear in mind, never before in history have the white working classes been so hammered by the nasty Tories.

The biggest upshot of this is that a huge proportion of Labour voters CANNOT afford a land line so CANNOT be polled.

Labour's lead could be 12 percent or more
    Yes, Labour supporters are too poor to have land lines so the polling numbers are skewed...

Unspoofable
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to Avery for the interesting (to me) personal comments last thread - the family has largely lost interest in these things so it's pleasant to encounter someone who knows about them. (Apologies to others who are unlikely to care.) Ivan Lyon was described by my parents as incredibly brave and a very rough diamond, hard to get on with but clearly a consummate soldier. There was a film about him which I've not seen (Kill the Tiger). The family understanding is that he was beheaded rather than shot, as a 'mark of respect' by the Japanese (my aunt will to this day still not buy anything from them), though that's not borne out by the references I've seen.

By contrast James Stuart was extremely charming on the surface - my mother liked him a lot. He had to make his way as a lumberjack and other exotic occupations as the non-inheriting younger son, before eventually ending up as Churchill's chief whip. He was, perhaps necessarily, tough and hard-edged under the surface, unlike his gentle brother James who got the inheritance, who had a different castle and was absent-mindedly vague about where the land's boundaries were.

A different world from today, and one with seemingly only a surfqce resemblance to Downton, which is where our discussion started.
  • Options

Freggles my dear chap, you must be very naïve. There are lots of lefties who say one thing and do the opposite. They disapprove of private education but send their own children to public schools or move home to send them to top notch "comprehensives". They moan about tax avoidance but all follow their accountants advice on reducing their tax bills. They pontificate strong employment laws but in reality follow the most anti-union behaviour when its their money which is at stake if the business fails.

Tony Blair sent Lord Cashpoint round the world with the begging bowl and he came home with it bulging. Have a look at the Honours lists under Blair/Brown and then research Labour's big donors lists. You will see the same names appearing on both. The clever thing is recognising them not for giving the Labour Party a big wodge of cash but for the genuine good work they do in communities or for charities.

ALL politicians and people with strong political views are the same. Their beliefs rarely extend to themselves and their families. That is human nature. I just wish the politicians of the left would be a bit less hypocritical about it. Tories don't pretend to be poor or working class when they are not. The same cannot be said for most Labour politicians. Look at the Labour front bench. The majority come from exactly the same privileged background as their Tory opposite numbers.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the replies to my earlier post. (I'm not new to PB.com btw, I used to post quite a lot years ago but then couldn't make sense of the new(ish) software until to-day. Perhaps the pills have started to work...

As to the hare I raised, I think I agree with Freggles. The position is basically libertarian but in order to be a thoroughgoing libertarian it is first necessary either to be stinking rich, or to be young & fit with no family, or have a family you can't stand. What was it C P Snow said about why people went on to local Councils? Probably applies to those of us who comment on political blogs, too. What that implies about Our Genial Host I shudder to think...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    "Public sector workers, of course, have borne a lot of the brunt of the coalition’s cutbacks. There are a lot of them and they are important from an electoral standpoint."

But a lot less than there were in 2010.

Like LD voters.

HNY.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    And the 2013 good news continues into 2014

The first of Markit/CIPS key PMIs for the UK Economy was released at 9.30 this morning. Today's PMI is for Manufacturing in December. Construction follows tomorrow and Services (the big one, as Services account for around 75% of GDP) comes on Monday.

The October and November Manufacturing PMIs were both 58.4, the highest readings since February 2011. The December PMI has come in at 57.3, slightly down on the previous two months but broadly maintaining the trend for the quarter. .

If the three sectors, Services, Manufacturing and Construction all post at levels similar to the previous two months, then this bodes well for strong Q4 GDP growth and relieves some of the pressure on December retail sales figures to show that household and personal consumption has held up.

St. George is the mounted Field Officer commanding the great march of the makers at the Trooping of the Colour. We all salute you, Sir!
  • Options

Freggles my dear chap, you must be very naïve. There are lots of lefties who say one thing and do the opposite. They disapprove of private education but send their own children to public schools or move home to send them to top notch "comprehensives". They moan about tax avoidance but all follow their accountants advice on reducing their tax bills. They pontificate strong employment laws but in reality follow the most anti-union behaviour when its their money which is at stake if the business fails.

Tony Blair sent Lord Cashpoint round the world with the begging bowl and he came home with it bulging. Have a look at the Honours lists under Blair/Brown and then research Labour's big donors lists. You will see the same names appearing on both. The clever thing is recognising them not for giving the Labour Party a big wodge of cash but for the genuine good work they do in communities or for charities.

ALL politicians and people with strong political views are the same. Their beliefs rarely extend to themselves and their families. That is human nature. I just wish the politicians of the left would be a bit less hypocritical about it. Tories don't pretend to be poor or working class when they are not. The same cannot be said for most Labour politicians. Look at the Labour front bench. The majority come from exactly the same privileged background as their Tory opposite numbers.

Sorry, I meant a few million in tax havens. Of course there are plenty of millionaires on the left including Ed but having a few mil in the Virgin Islands is different.

And I'm well aware of hypocrisy on the Left and the generally elitist, London centric nature of the Labour leadership. There is no satisfactory alternative though.

As for the Tories not pretending to be poor or working class, Tim's photo album demonstrates that they do indeed try to be of the people when the cameras are out
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

And the 2013 good news continues into 2014

The first of Markit/CIPS key PMIs for the UK Economy was released at 9.30 this morning. Today's PMI is for Manufacturing in December. Construction follows tomorrow and Services (the big one, as Services account for around 75% of GDP) comes on Monday.

The October and November Manufacturing PMIs were both 58.4, the highest readings since February 2011. The December PMI has come in at 57.3, slightly down on the previous two months but broadly maintaining the trend for the quarter. .

If the three sectors, Services, Manufacturing and Construction all post at levels similar to the previous two months, then this bodes well for strong Q4 GDP growth and relieves some of the pressure on December retail sales figures to show that household and personal consumption has held up.

St. George is the mounted Field Officer commanding the great march of the makers at the Trooping of the Colour. We all salute you, Sir!

Sgt Major Dobson of Markit gave his salute in words:

“UK manufacturing’s strong upsurge continued at the end of 2013, with rates of growth in production and new orders still among the highest in the 22-year PMI survey history. On its current track, the sector should achieve output growth of over 1% in the final quarter while filling around 10-15 thousand jobs, continuing its positive contributions to both the broader economic and labour market recoveries.

If there was anything of concern on the parade ground it was that both input and output prices rose at their fastest levels for 28 months in December raising a discordant and unwelcome note on the inflationary front.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Theresa May to be Home Sec at next GE is 8/11 w Paddy Power... Seems a good bet to me, any reason it isn't?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

I could post the first Dan Hodges article of the year explaining why Ed will never be PM, but this comment from it is far more entertaining
    Bear in mind, never before in history have the white working classes been so hammered by the nasty Tories.

The biggest upshot of this is that a huge proportion of Labour voters CANNOT afford a land line so CANNOT be polled.

Labour's lead could be 12 percent or more
    Yes, Labour supporters are too poor to have land lines so the polling numbers are skewed...

Unspoofable

More likely, it is a criticism of polls that is common in the United States where many people have ditched landlines for mobile phones. Whether that has happened here to a significant extent, I do not know, but it may be a valid concern and should not be dismissed as unspoofable. And it might be not Labour but Conservative or SNP supporters who are thus underpolled.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Many thanks for the replies to my earlier post. (I'm not new to PB.com btw, I used to post quite a lot years ago but then couldn't make sense of the new(ish) software until to-day. Perhaps the pills have started to work...

As to the hare I raised, I think I agree with Freggles. The position is basically libertarian but in order to be a thoroughgoing libertarian it is first necessary either to be stinking rich, or to be young & fit with no family, or have a family you can't stand. What was it C P Snow said about why people went on to local Councils? Probably applies to those of us who comment on political blogs, too. What that implies about Our Genial Host I shudder to think...

Welcome back, IA, good-natured returnees like yourself are especially welcome. I remember you as a regular LibDem poster. What are your present voting plans?

I don't think I've ever met a councillor who was a frequent blogger, except the unfortunate Rick who blogged once too often. The two are perhaps alternative ways of filling one's free time, both probably better than an acquaintance, who spends most of it on a MMORG, living the life that he hasn't found in reality. I'd say he was a friend, but he doesn't really have time for friendships.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OGH said, "Public sector workers, of course, have borne a lot of the brunt of the coalition’s cutbacks. There are a lot of them and they are important from an electoral standpoint. One of the challenges of making cutbacks is that those who work in the public sector are voters too."

This is one of the GBrown's problems inherited by the coalition - and being a coalition has not been resolved as required and certainly not in the manner of Ireland and Portugal. Hence the Deficit has not been reduced as much as could have been done.

This is just one of the problems that will inhibit growth in 2014 and the best that I can see is a flat-lining economy in 2014 after the restocking of 2013.

It will be very hard to find jobs for the under-educated and unemployable as well as the unskilled without significant employee mobility. As has been previously noted, at the same time we do seem to have bred a greater number people who are of less intelligence than previously was the case.

Our education system needs vast improvements at all levels in order to compete globally - something that is being resisted by the educational intelligensia because they will have to work more hours and harder for the same pay. An extension of school hours at both ends of the day would help parents (and cut child-care costs) who are trapped by the costs ensuing from the house-price boom of the 2000s.

As more countries become industrialised, both global food and energy prices will not decrease. We have to use energy more efficiently and that includes heating and insulation - it is amazing that we are still catching up the Scandinavians in that regard.

Exports (and export substitution) must increase and much of the financial sector appear unwilling to back companies who export to the BRIC and similar countries.

Devolution has brought more problems than it has solved and we are moving even more towards more uneven economic, health and education performances among the four countries.

As nation we are unsure how to deal with the continued surge of fundamental Islamic groups globally and also how to integrate the Muslims within our community. Such continued unrest draws upon our resources and diverts attention from other necessary problems.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Loved the latest Sherlock last night - even the cheeky bit of clever subliminal marketing when Sherlock was appraising Watson's soon to be fiancé, deducing that she read the Guardian and was "intelligent"....wonder how long before Dacre towers erupts?
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    If I was a Public Sector worker, I'd vote for a party that is happy to ignore reality and maintain totally unsustainable employment numbers and pension arrangements in the public sector over one that had the balls to address these issues.

Simply an issue of turkeys not voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    Schards said:

If I was a Public Sector worker, I'd vote for a party that is happy to ignore reality and maintain totally unsustainable employment numbers and pension arrangements in the public sector over one that had the balls to address these issues.

Pension problems in the private sector will not be solved by blaming the public sector. Whether any government has the desire to address these problems is open to doubt.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    And now for some more good news and some welcome relief

After Debenhams issued a profit warning following poor Christmas Sales, its shares tumbling 12% in light pre-New Year trading and its Finance Director resigning today, the alarm bells started to ring for the UK retail sector in general.

In a post on retail sales last week I noted that we need to wait for John Lewis and the big supermarkets to make announcements before concluding that overall retail sales have disappointed in December.

John Lewis have now commented on sales volumes (but not profits) but their story is very much better than that of Debenhams. The markets should be smiling in relief today.

From City Index:

John Lewis has confirmed that it saw a strong rise in its sales over the Christmas period.

The department store chain revealed that like-for-like sales at its stores were up 1.2 per cent, while the biggest improvement was seen online, with a 23 per cent boost to sales compared to the figures recorded for 2012.

Managing director Andy Street told the BBC that sales through its click-and-collect service were among the biggest reasons for its rise in sales, with this part of the business expanding by 60 per cent in 2013 when compared to the previous year.

John Lewis' city centre stores experienced record sales on December 23rd as British shoppers looked to finish off their Christmas shopping at the last minute. John Lewis, unlike many of the other major retailers across the country, elected not to discount its goods in the run up to Christmas last year.

It is time to reward St George with a post Christmas bonus of John Lewis vouchers.
  • Options
    Schards said:

Well you can see their point - it's a ponzi scheme which is cutting back on new subscribers - even Madoff wasn't that daft ;)

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning. I posted this last night, and nobody bothered to answer. Now that Financier is on perhaps he can elucidate:

For those of a financial bent, some news and data on the Bitcoin phenom.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/12/31/bitcoins-incredible-year/?utm_campaign=forbestwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Inspite of reading the article, I'm still all at sea regarding whether it's a bluff, a double bluff, the Emperors New Clothes or the real thing.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    SeanT wrote

Appreciation of Downton is a proxy for IQ testing. People with an IQ from 105-135 do not get it (quite seriously, try this on your friends). People with an IQ sub 105 (average to stupid) enjoy it as soap opera, supersmart people (IQ over 135) clearly perceive its uncanny genius.

I am confused. I have an IQ over 135, but I enjoy "Downton Abbey" as a soap. I started watching it about 6 episodes ago (because of the rape episode) and I have watched it since. Before that, I only watched about 1 episode a year or so ago after Bates was arrested for murdering his wife.

Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something wrong with Sean's theory?
  • Options
    The comments on Guido are often hate filled filth, however this hits the nail on the head:

The Tories can’t win in 2015 as
    1. No boundary changes
    2. UKIP trending at ~ 15% in the polls; they cost the Tories 20 seats in 2010 with 3% of the vote.
    3. Pilgrims still in position actively campaigning against the Government of the day using taxpayers money
    4. Union education fund is still in place
    5. No TU reform allowing Crow and his mob hold us to ransom
    6. Tory constituency parties are disintegrating in protest at Cameron’s liberal policies
    7. The Tories will lose 7/8 seats along the route of HS2 to single issue candidates
    8. The Tories will lose one seat in Portsmouth due to shipbuilding being concentrated in Scotland
    9. No control of mass immigration
    10. Public spending still out of control and the national debt rising on a daily basis
    11. Human Rights Act still in place
    12. No referendum on Europe
    13. State control of the press introduced
    14. Cameron wanted to take us to war in Syria
    15. Gay Marriage

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tories clearly need to remember how to win the votes of those motivated by public service.
  • Options
    Happy New Year to all.

Does anyone know what generally happens to public sector workers who leave the public sector and get a private sector job? Do they typically stay lefty or do they now vote with their self interest and become more right wing?

My guess is that those who leap become a bit more right wing but those who are pushed stay bitter and lefty.

So....how does the coalition steadily reducing public sector job counts play out electorally?
  • Options

Loved the latest Sherlock last night - even the cheeky bit of clever subliminal marketing when Sherlock was appraising Watson's soon to be fiancé, deducing that she read the Guardian and was "intelligent"....wonder how long before Dacre towers erupts?

There was a better one than that: there was a scene involving a self-help group of conspiracy theorists who believe that Holmes is not dead. The TV is on on the background, and it shows a newsflash that Sherlock is not dead. A few seconds later, all their phones start pinging as they get messages.

Given the way he first unveils himself (in a restaurant, then a cafe), this seems rather unlikely. It'd be much more likely to be on Buzfeed: "15 places that Sherlock has been seen".

Yes, the BBC really do think they can beat the new media for rumours and news. Oh dear.

;-)

The latest episode had absolutely dire writing and plot. As with Doctor Who, they're treating their audience as fools. It's lowest-common denominator sci-fi.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

There are more than a few lefties with a few millions, there are quite a lot of them with lots of millions. They follow their accountants advice and minimse their tax bills, then complain we aren't spending enough on whatever cause takes their fancy.

So coming back to the point if you're that concened on tax havens why didn't Labour actively reduce tax avoidance opportunities in 13 years in power ? It's the coalition under extreme fiscal pressure that is actually making some moves.
  • Options

Welcome back, IA, good-natured returnees like yourself are especially welcome. I remember you as a regular LibDem poster. What are your present voting plans?

I don't think I've ever met a councillor who was a frequent blogger, except the unfortunate Rick who blogged once too often. The two are perhaps alternative ways of filling one's free time, both probably better than an acquaintance, who spends most of it on a MMORG, living the life that he hasn't found in reality. I'd say he was a friend, but he doesn't really have time for friendships.

Nick, I've never been a Lib Dem. Cross my heart & hope to die :(
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    I was rather entertained by the Sherlock episode (only watched it this morning, it clashed with Stargate Continuum last night). The Guardian mention actually made me think of the Keirsey/Myers-Briggs personality test rather than the newspaper.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    JohnLoony said:

SeanT wrote

Appreciation of Downton is a proxy for IQ testing. People with an IQ from 105-135 do not get it (quite seriously, try this on your friends). People with an IQ sub 105 (average to stupid) enjoy it as soap opera, supersmart people (IQ over 135) clearly perceive its uncanny genius.

I am confused. I have an IQ over 135, but I enjoy "Downton Abbey" as a soap. I started watching it about 6 episodes ago (because of the rape episode) and I have watched it since. Before that, I only watched about 1 episode a year or so ago after Bates was arrested for murdering his wife.

Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something wrong with Sean's theory?

His theory is mince, purely there to try and point out how smart he is, NOT
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited January 2014

You missed some of the other words

“Only Child. Disillusioned Lib Dem. Guardian. Bakes Own Bread.”

Edit:Full disclosure. I may have watched this episode of Sherlock three times already.
  • Options

The comments on Guido are often hate filled filth, however this hits the nail on the head:

The Tories can’t win in 2015 as
    1. No boundary changes
    2. UKIP trending at ~ 15% in the polls; they cost the Tories 20 seats in 2010 with 3% of the vote.
    3. Pilgrims still in position actively campaigning against the Government of the day using taxpayers money
    4. Union education fund is still in place
    5. No TU reform allowing Crow and his mob hold us to ransom
    6. Tory constituency parties are disintegrating in protest at Cameron’s liberal policies
    7. The Tories will lose 7/8 seats along the route of HS2 to single issue candidates
    8. The Tories will lose one seat in Portsmouth due to shipbuilding being concentrated in Scotland
    9. No control of mass immigration
    10. Public spending still out of control and the national debt rising on a daily basis
    11. Human Rights Act still in place
    12. No referendum on Europe
    13. State control of the press introduced
    14. Cameron wanted to take us to war in Syria
    15. Gay Marriage

Why does that bother you ? Tories will struggle and UKIP can't win. We'll have an HP, most likely Coalition 2. If Ed wins we'll be heading into the latest EU Treaty revision, with lots of shouting but nothing to stop him.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Happy New Year to all.

Does anyone know what generally happens to public sector workers who leave the public sector and get a private sector job? Do they typically stay lefty or do they now vote with their self interest and become more right wing?

My guess is that those who leap become a bit more right wing but those who are pushed stay bitter and lefty.

So....how does the coalition steadily reducing public sector job counts play out electorally?

Cleaners on minimum wages all vote Conservative but Cabinet Ministers on six-figure salaries all vote Labour. With some groups, the relationship between employment and voting is more complex. For instance, if consultant surgeons pop out to vote between outpatients clinics, they are duty-bound to vote Labour, but if they visit the polling station on their way to private practice, then Conservatives get their Xs.

If the Conservative Party is serious about winning, it needs to drop its Marxist belief that votes are determined by employment sector.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Freggles said:

Sorry, I meant a few million in tax havens. Of course there are plenty of millionaires on the left including Ed but having a few mil in the Virgin Islands is different.

And I'm well aware of hypocrisy on the Left and the generally elitist, London centric nature of the Labour leadership. There is no satisfactory alternative though.

As for the Tories not pretending to be poor or working class, Tim's photo album demonstrates that they do indeed try to be of the people when the cameras are out
    It is a perverse inability to understand life that pervades the minds of so many political warriors, I fail to understand why so many become political myopics.

The objectives of the modern Left and Right are pretty much identical, it is the belief in the route to arrive at the destination that is different.

I don't know any Conservative who wishes the poor to suffer, the weak to be denied healthcare, the disabled to be discarded to the scrapheap of human detritus. I also know no Labour or LibDems who would wish for any of those things. All the people I know have compassion to varying degrees and vote for all the main stream parties.

There are millions of voters out there of all political colour who want to live in a harmonious society where there is no poverty, suffering or crime. What a shock, there is a universal attraction towards Utopia.

The real question and only question is not about the tiny minority of super rich individuals, (be they Heartless Tories, Hypocritical Labour or Louche LibDems - all are stereotypes best avoided), but about the community the other 99% of us build and inhabit. This requires a consideration of the relationships between rights and responsibilities which is far too unclear, the fair distribution of the income the state takes from the population, the expectations of the nation and the affordability of those expectations, the method of providing help for those in need and how it is afforded.
  • Options
    Re the myth that UKIP cost the Tories 20 seats in 2010.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/4444
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JohnLoony said:

SeanT wrote

His theory is mince, purely there to try and point out how smart he is, NOT
    His theory fell down on so many levels.

I hate to break it to you Sean, but as a Sherlock fan, I also like Downton.

And most of the American shows you listed.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. Abroad.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    MikeK said:

Good morning. I posted this last night, and nobody bothered to answer. Now that Financier is on perhaps he can elucidate:

For those of a financial bent, some news and data on the Bitcoin phenom.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/12/31/bitcoins-incredible-year/?utm_campaign=forbestwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Inspite of reading the article, I'm still all at sea regarding whether it's a bluff, a double bluff, the Emperors New Clothes or the real thing.

@MikeK

Have to confess it has not grabbed my attention (been too busy with conventional business and commodity markets) - seems to be a bit like Esperanto - a good idea, not universally backed and a bit ethereal.

Have you tried to buy some at your bank?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    isam said:

Theresa May to be Home Sec at next GE is 8/11 w Paddy Power... Seems a good bet to me, any reason it isn't?

Seems a goodish bet so I've taken £25 of it.

Home secretary is traditionally a hard place to be - but she has made a good fist of it...

Can't see May being demoted, so where could she possibly move to -

Ruling out chancellor, GO is safe there (1/10 to stay or so)
    Foreign Sec ? Possible but that would mean Hague moving too which I can't see. If he does AN Other replaces him.
    Prime Minister ? DC must be 1-20 at least to stay as PM.

Can't see why she is 8-11, to my mind it is more of a 2-5 shot at the longest.
  • Options

Re the myth that UKIP cost the Tories 20 seats in 2010.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/4444

quite so, at the end of the day the Conservatives cost the Conservatives 20 seats as they didn't persuade enough people to vote for them.
  • Options
    I suppose there wre alot of changes in Home Secretary during recent memory in the Blair/Brown years - but crikey - Charles Clarke, Jacqui Smith ?! The coalition has been alot more stable in personnel terms than Brown/Blair ever was.
  • Options
    New UKIP seats at next GE exchange market up at Betfair.

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.112351227

The starting odds favour zero seats.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Welcome back @Innocent_Abroad. Really great to see you again

IA has been posting on PB just about longer than anybody else although we have not seen him much in the past year. I think he was one of the first tranche from 2004 and played a big part in the early days of the site.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I suppose there wre alot of changes in Home Secretary during recent memory in the Blair/Brown years - but crikey - Charles Clarke, Jacqui Smith ?! The coalition has been alot more stable in personnel terms than Brown/Blair ever was.

In the last 4 years of the last labour government, there were four Home Secretaries.
  • Options

You missed some of the other words

“Only Child. Disillusioned Lib Dem. Guardian. Bakes Own Bread.”

Edit:Full disclosure. I may have watched this episode of Sherlock three times already.
    She works in the public sector and drinks champagne - of course she was a Guardian reader...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In the last 4 years of the last labour government, there were four Home Secretaries.
    I know, it didn't reflect well constantly shuffling. May must be 8-11 to stay as Home Sec ?
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), with the added words it does seem likelier to refer to the paper than the personality type. Which is a shame.
  • Options

It's tempting to correlate longevity in post with competence, until you remember Jacqui Smith was there longer than a week
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I know, it didn't reflect well constantly shuffling. May must be 8-11 to stay as Home Sec ?
    I think the problem for any Home Secretary, is that they are at the mercy of events, more so than any other Department.

But I'd take the bet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's tempting to correlate longevity in post with competence, until you remember Jacqui Smith was there longer than a week
    I'll not have a bad word said against Jacqui Smith.

Her husband's exploits gave me a lot of amusement.
  • Options

Welcome back @Innocent_Abroad. Really great to see you again

IA has been posting on PB just about longer than anybody else although we have not seen him much in the past year. I think he was one of the first tranche from 2004 and played a big part in the early days of the site.

Ah, apologies to IA. I didn't recognise the name.
  • Options
    Did Watson's fiance have a gym membership ?

Before reading remember this is the official Labour website and it's not the first of April.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/71899451817/cost-of-keeping-new-years-resolution-going-up-as-gym

"Luciana Berger MP, Labour’s Shadow Public Health Minister, said:

“Millions of people across the country will want to kick-start 2014 by getting fitter and more active.

“There is a real risk however that many people will be put off from keeping to their New Year’s resolutions by soaring gym charges and David Cameron’s failure to tackle the cost-of-living crisis."
  • Options
    Spoke to a Lib Dem friend of mine on NYE. He said he'd vote for Labour in a heartbeat if they were to drop Ed Balls.

He also thought that Ed Miliband should come up with some policies.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

There are more than a few lefties with a few millions, there are quite a lot of them with lots of millions. They follow their accountants advice and minimse their tax bills, then complain we aren't spending enough on whatever cause takes their fancy.

So coming back to the point if you're that concened on tax havens why didn't Labour actively reduce tax avoidance opportunities in 13 years in power ? It's the coalition under extreme fiscal pressure that is actually making some moves.
    They didn't want to scare the horses, particularly when there was enough money around to invest more than the Tories had.

Also I wasn't in Government, and didn't vote for Labour then, so don't feel any responsibility for their faults in office
  • Options
    Mr. Freggles, if there was enough money around then why would Brown borrow £153bn pre-recession?

Labour's approach to spending is reminiscent of Brewster's Millions.
  • Options
    Just 12% of teachers would vote Conservative

A new YouGov poll for the National Union of Teachers also shows that 79% believe the coalition's impact on the education system has been negative.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/01/just-12-teachers-would-vote-conservative
  • Options
    When I become the country's first Directly Elected Tyrant, I may restrict the vote to only those that work in the private sector.
  • Options
    Given how averse David Cameron has been to reshuffles, Theresa May must be excellent value at 8/11 to be Home Secretary when the next general election is called. I'd make it a 1/3 shot. I'm on.

It should be noted that the risk to this bet is not just that Theresa May might run into trouble but also that George Osborne or William Hague might need to be replaced by her.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

For anyone interested in a lesser-acknowledged part of WWII, Jeremy Clarkson presents a documentary on BBC 2 tonight on the PQ17 Arctic Convoy disaster. Not our brightest moment in that conflict.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/crdmjc/pq17-an-arctic-convoy-disaster

It should be interesting: Clarkson's usually quite good at this populist military history stuff.
  • Options

When I become the country's first Directly Elected Tyrant, I may restrict the vote to only those that work in the private sector.

Will Sherlock become part of the national curriculum, as part of the Cumberbatch Studies module?
  • Options

Just 12% of teachers would vote Conservative

A new YouGov poll for the National Union of Teachers also shows that 79% believe the coalition's impact on the education system has been negative.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/01/just-12-teachers-would-vote-conservative

How did that compare with parents ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Given how averse David Cameron has been to reshuffles, Theresa May must be excellent value at 8/11 to be Home Secretary when the next general election is called. I'd make it a 1/3 shot. I'm on.

It should be noted that the risk to this bet is not just that Theresa May might run into trouble but also that George Osborne or William Hague might need to be replaced by her.

Won't happen with GO. Hague is the marginal risk. But 8-11 is good :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Will Sherlock become part of the national curriculum, as part of the Cumberbatch Studies module?
    Saw the Desolation of Smaug at the flicks last night and would like to echo TSE’s comment on the subject - damn you Mr Peter ‘cliff hanger’ Jackson...!

PS. Not seen Sherlock yet – no spoilers ‘pretty’ please ; )
  • Options

Yes.

I'm toying with writing a thread entitled, The Tories/Lab/Lib Dems would win a landslide in 2015 if they replaced Dave/Ed/Nick with Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, the piece he did on St. Nazaire[sp] was well worth watching.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

Freggles said:

OK.

No they're not. Like any walk of life they're a mix from across the political spectrum. Tony t be worth asking why Labour did so little about it and borrowed at all our cost instead of closing down tax loopholes. Or was that them being progressive ?

They didn't want to scare the horses, particularly when there was enough money around to invest more than the Tories had.

Also I wasn't in Government, and didn't vote for Labour then, so don't feel any responsibility for their faults in office

They didn't "invest" it, they borrowed it and spent it. As for scaring the horses I thought that's what you wanted to do now ? Much easier to tax people in prosperity than in a period of stagflation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Home secretary is traditionally a hard place to be - but she has made a good fist of it...

Foreign Sec ? Possible but that would mean Hague moving too which I can't see. If he does AN Other replaces him.

You are probably right but it is a long time to wait for an 8/11 shot.

To play devil's advocate, there is a scenario which might appeal to George Osborne, wearing his reelection strategizing hat. GO to step back from front bench in early 2015 because he has read the polls and knows that, fairly or unfairly, voters don't like him. May to be CotE to undermine Balls, who will repel (even more) women if it looks like he is trying to bully May. New Home Sec to be old buffer who will free up job after election in return for peerage.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Did Watson's fiance have a gym membership ?

Before reading remember this is the official Labour website and it's not the first of April.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/71899451817/cost-of-keeping-new-years-resolution-going-up-as-gym

"Luciana Berger MP, Labour’s Shadow Public Health Minister, said:

“Millions of people across the country will want to kick-start 2014 by getting fitter and more active.

“There is a real risk however that many people will be put off from keeping to their New Year’s resolutions by soaring gym charges and David Cameron’s failure to tackle the cost-of-living crisis."

Middle class lefties need more subsidies H, no point giving them to the poor they'd only spend it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

To play devil's advocate, there is a scenario which might appeal to George Osborne, wearing his reelection strategizing hat. GO to step back from front bench in early 2015 because he has read the polls and knows that, fairly or unfairly, voters don't like him. May to be CotE to undermine Balls, who will repel (even more) women if it looks like he is trying to bully May. New Home Sec to be old buffer who will free up job after election in return for peerage.
    Hence why I'm in for 25 and not a ton ;)
  • Options

Mr. Freggles, if there was enough money around then why would Brown borrow £153bn pre-recession?

Labour's approach to spending is reminiscent of Brewster's Millions.

Throwing big numbers around without context is statistically illiterate, Mr. Dancer.

UK debt in 2007 before the crash was relatively smaller than that of France, Germany, the US, Canada and Japan.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46935000/jpg/_46935371_world_debt_level_466.jpg

It was the global banking crisis that broke Britain as everyone believed until the Tories started parroting the lie about Labour's debt crisis (that mysteriously affected the rest of the world) during the Labour leadership contest.
  • Options

Welcome back Innocent. Been a while since we had the dubious pleasure of your bizarre sweeping statements.
  • Options

Yes.

I'm toying with writing a thread entitled, The Tories/Lab/Lib Dems would win a landslide in 2015 if they replaced Dave/Ed/Nick with Benedict Cumberbatch.
    He'd get Mrs J's vote.

Re: Desolation of Smaug. I went to see this with a female friend in Nottingham before Christmas, and God, it's long. Not I-want-to-see-more long, or even my-bladder's-going-to-burst long, but my-wife-will-think-I'm-having-an affair long.

Someone'll take the three films and condense them into a better two-hour film that is actually watchable.
  • Options

Saw the Desolation of Smaug at the flicks last night and would like to echo TSE’s comment on the subject - damn you Mr Peter ‘cliff hanger’ Jackson...!

PS. Not seen Sherlock yet – no spoilers ‘pretty’ please ; )
    Re Smaug - I've read the book, and I know what happens next, but the cliff hanger still left me cursing Mr Jackson.

Have you noticed both Sherlock and the Desolation of Smaug features lots of Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • Options
    I see Fluffy Thoughts has taken the oil bet up !

Nice of him ;) (>/< £50 at YE)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

But the current polling shows Osborne is more popular/preferred to run the economy than Balls, so that theory falls down.
This discussion has been closed.