Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Biden era begins with his predecessor boycotting the ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,714
edited January 2021 in General
imageThe Biden era begins with his predecessor boycotting the ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

Partly because of the events of two weeks ago this afternoon’s inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States seemed to take on a special significance. What were striking were the regular cutaway TV shots of groups of American soldiers not in formal ceremonial to us but in battle fatigues – a reminder of the occupation of the capital building and the onslaught on the Capitol building that that led to four people being killed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    He wasn't missed.....
  • Options
    46th, like Joe
  • Options
    It wasn't unprecedented.

The Adams family missed the inaugurations of their successors.

Ditto Van Buren & Johnson.

Wilson also skipped his successor's inauguration but he was poorly.

Obviously I'll forgive the likes of Kennedy and Lincoln for missing the inauguration of their respective successors.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    edited January 2021

It wasn't unprecedented.

Obviously I'll forgive the likes of Kennedy and Lincoln for missing the inauguration of their respective successors.

Few Remainers attended Leavers' parties a year ago either.
  • Options
    FPT

Change of question:

Has the Donald been arrested yet? From what I read earlier authorities in New York Stake have a few* suspected criminal matters they wish to question him about.

Not yet, I don't think they wanted to overshadow Biden's big day.

SDNY reportedly would have charged Trump and his family years but for the DoJ rule that says you cannot indict sitting Presidents.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    Sore loser.

Emphasis on ‘loser.’
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

FPT

Change of question:

Has the Donald been arrested yet? From what I read earlier authorities in New York Stake have a few* suspected criminal matters they wish to question him about.

SDNY reportedly would have charged Trump and his family years but for the DoJ rule that says you cannot indict sitting Presidents.
    ''Healing''
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So when does the mass arrest of Biden and his accomplices start?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

FPT

Change of question:

It's not a rule. It's an opinion paper.

It is not backed by law and never tested in the courts.

Same as the opinion paper that says a president can't pardon themselves. Just an opinion.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Alistair said:

It's already happened - the man you saw inaugurated is actually Trump wearing a Biden mask and a corset.
  • Options

It wasn't unprecedented.

I think Kennedy was actually there for Johnson’s swearing in. Or at least, his corpse was on the same plane.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,689
    Alistair said:

It's already happened. In order to keep the peace, Trump and Biden's minds were swapped.

TrumpBidden will run the country. BiddenTrump will be kept in a secret prison hidden in an abandoned oil platform.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

Apparently some Q people are now saying March 3rd. For reasons.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    In leftists lecturing the right on what they should do next news,

The Hill reports that more than half of the Repubs in the House of Representatives have signed a letter saying that Liz Cheney should step down as leader.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Already happened, Trump is now using Biden's face.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1351910626696851461
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,817
    Saga Cruises will require full vaccination a minimum of 14 days before departure - suspect others may follow as vaccine extends below 50:

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx
  • Options

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    Oh shut up you ludicrous popinjay.

If he didn't want to face criminal charges he shouldn't do illegal things.
    How dare you bring facts into this discussion? Everything to do with Trump is based on gut emotion and the fact the lame stream media always lies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It wasn't unprecedented.

I think Kennedy was actually there for Johnson’s swearing in. Or at least, his corpse was on the same plane.
    Ah yes, Johnson and the Secret Service illegally took JFK's body out of Texas.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,508

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    "Just-Ice"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,912
    Evening all :)

Perhaps a realisation that an anti-politics or anti-politician sentiment is all well and good but you need to be careful for what you are wishing.

Trying to run a country like a business is one thing but most businesses in my experience aren't democracies but dictatorships. When private sector managers move into local Government some think they can command and cajole but those that do either fall foul of the rigorous anti-harassment and anti-bullying policies in councils or, far worse, try to manage Councillors like a CEO manages a Board of Directors. That never ends well.

It's a cliche but politics is generally best left to the politicians. Trump has tried the CEO approach but it's not ended well for him.
  • Options

In leftists lecturing the right on what they should do next news,

The Hill reports that more than half of the Repubs in the House of Representatives have signed a letter saying that Liz Cheney should step down as leader.

As The Hill also reports in that story, "The vote will be conducted via secret ballot."

So how many who SAID they want Liz Cheney out, will actually VOTE that way when push comes to shove?

Unknown, but certainly WILL be an interesting day. AND a potentially crucial one for the Republican Party, within and without the US House of Representatives.
  • Options

Saga Cruises will require full vaccination a minimum of 14 days before departure - suspect others may follow as vaccine extends below 50:

How will you be able to prove it? Are we getting certificates now?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

Same as the opinion paper that says a president can't pardon themselves. Just an opinion.
    The Framers really screwed up, they genuinely thought that every man that would become President would be an honourable person.

A bit like with our monarchy ironically.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    edited January 2021

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    Quite. If he has acted illegally he should face punishment, yet some seem to be of the view that because him facing punishment would be divisive, justice should not matter.

And even as it relates to any healing, you probably cannot start the healing of a wound until you clean and disinfect it first.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I guess GPs will start charging for letters confirming your vaccination status.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Letter from your doctor, saying you've been vaccinated, at a guess.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

The Framers really screwed up, they genuinely thought that every man that would become President would be an honourable person.

Whatever his shortcomings, Charles is not comparable to Trump.

(I’m saying nothing about Andrew.)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,055
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

I’m in the wrong profession, aren’t I?

Edit - doubly so as my jab probably won’t be done via the GP system as a result.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

They anticipated a dick becoming president, many of the founding fathers thought other founding fathers were Arseholes after all.

What they ridiculously didn't anticipate was political parties, and then the political parties supporting the Chief Dick.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    Quite. If he has acted illegally he should face punishment, yet some seem to be of the view that because him facing punishment would be divisive, justice should not matter.

And even as it relates to any healing, you probably cannot start the healing of a wound until you clean and disinfect it first.
    I don't see what Trump has to worry about. After all, the US courts couldn't find any of the millions of cases of voter fraud despite Trump and Team Kraken presenting them with all the evidence on a plate, so there's no way they'll ever be able to convict him of anything...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Edit - doubly so as my jab probably won’t be done via the GP system as a result.
    As I understand it your GP will be able to see your vaccine status via your records, even if they didn't vaccinate you.

Hurrah for NHS numbers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Alistair said:

But....talk to me about his Veep. Has Pence changed his face (and sex) too?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,459
    People didn't have to go to hug their grannies you know.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

Although unlike them we have removed problem monarchs - with extreme prejudice. Granted, you don't want to get into it being a habit with presidents.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,400

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    You can do some good if you have a care. Next time you're on 8chan please start telling the faithful the election was NOT stolen. This is a prerequisite for healing. I'd do it but they won't listen to a stranger.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,202
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,459
    ydoethur said:

You do get the reminder card for the second one.
  • Options
    This Holocaust seminar is taking an awful lot of time to put the boot into Corbyn.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

People didn't have to go to hug their grannies you know.
    No, and I do hold people more responsible for their own actions above most things, but this was a concerted push by the goverments to encourage some level of Christmas mixing. Sure, many will have done so anyway, but probably not as many as did when it was policy.

The numbers since then have been even worse than I had feared, I must say.
  • Options
    Disturbing. Not as disturbing as his sudden obsession with imps, but still.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

Are you sure?

Both are fornicators and adulterers.

They both believe in the hereditary principle.

I mean they'd be nobodies but for their parents.

Both know people close to Jeffrey Epstein.

Both treated their ex wives like crap.

I could go on.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

As I understand it your GP will be able to see your vaccine status via your records, even if they didn't vaccinate you.

Hurrah for NHS numbers.
    My GP practice are so useless they send repeat prescriptions to the wrong pharmacy.

If they get a jab registered correctly they haven’t done themselves, it will be a minor miracle.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

Are you sure?

Both are fornicators and adulterers.

They both believe in the hereditary principle.

I mean they'd be nobodies but for their parents.

Both know people close to Jeffrey Epstein.

Both treated their ex wives like crap.

I could go on.
    You could, but you’d still be wrong.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FPT

Change of question:

Actually, the Founders did NOT assume that every President would be honorable, or even semi-loyal. THAT is one of the reasons why they put impeachment for high crimes & misdemeanors into the Constitution.

As Alexander Hamilton said in The Federalist #68

"These most deadly adversaries of republican government might naturally have been expected to make their approaches from more than one quarter, but chiefly from the desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils. How could they better gratify this, than by raising a creature of their own to the chief magistry of the Union?"
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''
    "Just-Ice"
    "There's no justice,.... just us!"
  • Options

kle4 said:

FPT

Change of question:

''Healing''

I don't see what Trump has to worry about. After all, the US courts couldn't find any of the millions of cases of voter fraud despite Trump and Team Kraken presenting them with all the evidence on a plate, so there's no way they'll ever be able to convict him of anything...
    Indeed! It was staring them in the face and yet nothing, for shame.

Purely on his messing around with the elections it feels like he has to have committeed some crime, and then there's all his business dealings, but frankly I wouldn't be shocked if he never ends up convicted.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

How will you check that I have received the vaccine?
    You will be required to bring the vaccination document and/or evidence with you as proof at the time of boarding.

What if I am exempt from receiving the vaccine?
    Sadly we would not be able to allow you to cruise and would ask that you contact our Cruise Guest Services who will be able to discuss your options with you and arrange a full refund.

Will I still be able to travel if I choose not to have the vaccine?
    We have made the decision not to allow a guest to travel with us if they choose not to receive the vaccine. The majority of our guests fall into the at-risk age bracket and our priority is their safety and wellbeing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    the vaccination document is that a thing ?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You will be required to bring the vaccination document and/or evidence with you as proof at the time of boarding.

Sadly we would not be able to allow you to cruise and would ask that you contact our Cruise Guest Services who will be able to discuss your options with you and arrange a full refund.

We have made the decision not to allow a guest to travel with us if they choose not to receive the vaccine. The majority of our guests fall into the at-risk age bracket and our priority is their safety and wellbeing.
    Wouldn’t it have been much easier if they gave us certificates at the time of vaccination? Or stamped passports for those who have them?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Alistair said:

It's already happened - the man you saw inaugurated is actually Trump wearing a Biden mask and a corset.
    Corset is, is my tightly strung reply
  • Options

Disturbing. Not as disturbing as his sudden obsession with imps, but still.
    No that - imp for important - does not work well. Hope it was a one off.
  • Options
    I'm sure Sturgeon will be effusive in her thanks.....(but one does wonder why its being done now, not earlier):

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1351926256456101899?s=20
  • Options
    I forget who was asking earlier, but I think this is the video you meant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll-yYQwmuM
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I liked Joe's dialled down speech and the occasionally informal moments in the pomp. They did a very good job today. Lovely to see everyone coming together.

A new era.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why the vaccinations went so brilliantly today? 1/3rd of a million jabs administered it would seem?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Any reason why Biden's speech began 10 mins early? They usually time things so that the oath is taken on the stroke of Noon. Perhaps part of the ceremony was cancelled at the last minute?

He should be impeached for insurrection - declaring himself president and speaking as President 10 minutes before he really was. Disgraceful.

Does anyone know why the vaccinations went so brilliantly today? 1/3rd of a million jabs administered it would seem?

They had said more sites were being set up, I presume that has had an effect alongside there being sufficient supply today?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Alistair said:

Already receiving emails from the lunatic wing of the GOP House calling for that. No joke
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wouldn’t it have been much easier if they gave us certificates at the time of vaccination? Or stamped passports for those who have them?
    Airlines are working towards a global and secure App for all platforms. In best case it will also be used for visa entry. The IATA Travel Pass will tick the boxes on covid status and vaccination.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-airlines-apps/airline-body-iata-develops-mobile-apps-for-covid-era-travel-idUSL1N2I91IM

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-trials-app-offering-instant-covid-19-details-from-passengers-1.1611039658854

etc.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

Already receiving emails from the lunatic wing of the GOP House calling for that. No joke
    This in my inbox from Marjorie Taylor Green this morning, before inauguration:

"Friend -- Did you see my announcement on Newsmax?

"I'm filing Articles of Impeachment on Joe Biden.

"75 million Americans are fed up with inaction.

"It's time to take a stand. Will you become a citizen co-sponsor?"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

the vaccination document is that a thing ?

I get a signed doc when I get the flu jab at my local pharmacy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The government are just too slow on all of this. It's very obvious that international travel is going to require vaccine certificates from later this year, get a system and database in place now rather than later.
  • Options

Most likely, weekend effect unwinding

• Options

Alistair said:

That has to be parody, but in these mad days, who knows?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    eek said:
    :lol: Though I think press ganging is older.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

That has to be parody, but in these mad days, who knows?
    Pence was going to be replaced with a simple robot, but we got them mixed up, so we don't know which one is the robot and which one is Pence. Both claim to be Pence, obviously......

{Susan Calvin to the blue courtesy phone, Susan Calvin to the blue courtesy phone}
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

Why you - are you charge of mass arrests then ?
  • Options

Thanks for this. Do you have a source for your graph? I'd love to bookmark it and check it each day.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,032

I'm sure Sturgeon will be effusive in her thanks.....(but one does wonder why its being done now, not earlier):

If you listened to Nicola’s press conferences, instead of just being snarky about her, you would know.
  • Options

Thanks for this. Do you have a source for your graph? I'd love to bookmark it and check it each day.
    I generate it as part of my daily graphs. If you want access to the original spreadsheet - tons of data, PM me.
  • Options

eek said:
    :lol: Though I think press ganging is older.
    I would have to check, but I do not think that less ganging has been tried for web development recruitment.

Hmmmmmmmm..... though.......

Yet.
  • Options

I generate it as part of my daily graphs. If you want access to the original spreadsheet - tons of data, PM me.
    Having previously given you a hard time for all the graphs posted that would require cheek on my part and a large amount of magnanimity on yours :wink:

It's an excellent bar chart. If there's a chance of knowing when you'll post it up each day I'll make sure I check in.
  • Options

If you listened to Nicola’s press conferences, instead of just being snarky about her, you would know.
    What did Sturgeon say?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

LOLs. For some reason, despite never having voted in the US (it would be illegal) nor contributed to either party's coffers in any shape or form, nor having volunteered for any political activity, I get tons of mass emails from national politicians and think tanks of both parties.

I don't know whether everyone gets them, or I have been singled out for various online or RL activities.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The government are just too slow on all of this. It's very obvious that international travel is going to require vaccine certificates from later this year, get a system and database in place now rather than later.
    How does the government set up a national vaccination status database without setting up a national identity database that has already been dropped over privacy concerns? Probably by being less rigorous but hopefully some serious thought is going into this. @TheScreamingEagles suggested earlier it might be tied to NHS numbers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

Roger said:

It's a surprise that Jacob Rees Mogg has something in common with anyone normal
    Would you consider J-Lo normal?
    Don’t be fooled by the rocks that she’s got, she’s still Jenny from the block.
    Nice one 😊
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    edited January 2021
    C4 doing a longish piece following Trump supporters from before the election, including the shaman headdress guy. I actually felt more than a scintilla of pity for a lot of them, and if it were possible, even more loathing for the prick that led them to the place they’re in. May replay some of the footage of Don Jr and Eric greetin’ for some karmic soothing.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

despite never having voted in the US (it would be illegal)
    Didn't stop millions of others this last November, surprised you let that stop you.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Alistair said:

They must have done a metric shit-tonne of very rapid liposuction with an industrial-strength vacuum.
  • Options

Here is one source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How does the government set up a national vaccination status database without setting up a national identity database that has already been dropped over privacy concerns? Probably by being less rigorous but hopefully some serious thought is going into this. @TheScreamingEagles suggested earlier it might be tied to NHS numbers.
    Apologies if this is a dumb question...But how do they know which people have been jabbed, which still need to be vaccinated, and in what order, if they don't have a national vaccination status database?
  • Options
    You have to laugh, looking back at the insane volumes of pixels wasted by the likes of @MrEd etc on the ways in which Biden wasn’t going to be president. Some of the threads in that fortnight after the election are hugely entertaining to read again.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,883
    edited January 2021

You have to laugh, looking back at the insane volumes of pixels wasted by the likes of @MrEd etc on the ways in which Biden wasn’t going to be president. Some of the threads in that fortnight after the election are hugely entertaining to read again.

Whilst I have no time for his politics his view of what the Republicans would attempt to do, was pretty much spot on. Without that information, mine and others understanding of the situation and what was happening would have been far less complete.

There was a real threat to democracy here.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,032

What did Sturgeon say?
    “To answer your question about the Army, they have been involved in different points of our pandemic response all along. This is not as simple or a case of suddenly involving the Army.

“The Army were based in this building for a quite significant time period last year, so we call on them when we think they have the particular expertise to help with particular tasks.

“We are really grateful to them for that.”
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

NI number or NHS numbers.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Here is one source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
    Thanks Tim. Not quite as pretty as Malmesbury's but it's still good for a visual learning lass. Thank you :smile:
  • Options

What did Sturgeon say?
    “To answer your question about the Army, they have been involved in different points of our pandemic response all along. This is not as simple or a case of suddenly involving the Army.

“The Army were based in this building for a quite significant time period last year, so we call on them when we think they have the particular expertise to help with particular tasks.

Seems pretty clear cut. Expecting a full retraction from Carlotta in 5... 4... 3... 1999999... 1999998...
  • Options

Whilst I have no time for his politics his view of what the Republicans would attempt to do, was pretty much spot on. Without that information, mine and others understanding of the situation and what was happening would have been far less complete.

Nope. I’m on record over and again saying that the endless lawsuits and recounts were complete nonsense/noise.

The only time I thought democracy was under threat was the storming of the Capitol. And I was probably wrong about that.

MrEd was a whole world of wrong from about 6pm EST on election day through the following fortnight.
  • Options

C4 doing a longish piece following Trump supporters from before the election, including the shaman headdress guy. I actually felt more than a scintilla of pity for a lot of them, and if it were possible, even more loathing for the prick that led them to the place they’re in. May replay some of the footage of Don Jr and Eric greetin’ for some karmic soothing.

Same reaction here. All the vulnerable people. Why must they be exploited so.
  • Options

Nope. I’m on record over and again saying that the endless lawsuits and recounts were complete nonsense/noise.

The only time I thought democracy was under threat was the storming of the Capitol. And I was probably wrong about that.

MrEd was a whole world of wrong from about 6pm EST on election day through the following fortnight.
    If there had been a Republican majority in the House things might have been tense, given a lot more of them were willing to block certification than those in the Senate.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I suspect Caldicott Guardians will be having a 'fun' time with this.
  • Options

What did Sturgeon say?

Delighted to be right that Nicola was effusive in her thanks.....but still wondering why this has not been done before now - did she say?
This discussion has been closed.