Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clegg’s big EE2014 gamble: pitching the LDs as the party o

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clegg’s big EE2014 gamble: pitching the LDs as the party of “in” and leading the fight against UKIP

The Telegraph is leading this morning on attacks by Nick Clegg and Treasury Secretary, Danny Alexander, on UKIP with them pitching the party as the only one which is enthusiastic about remaining in the EU.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    More people are enthusiastic about the EU than are enthusiastic about the Lib Dems at the moment, so establishing the Lib Dems as the only UK-wide party of "In" does seem like a good move. Differentiation in the marketplace, and all that.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I think the Lib Demms will stay in 4th place, and will not be overtaken by the Greens, mainly because the floppy splitty Greens are even more useless than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    I would like to congratulate the Telegraph for managing four EU stories on the front page of telegraph.co.uk, not including the LibDem one:

- Seats on buses to London from Bulgaria and Romania booked up 'for days'
    - EU too power hungry
    - UK courts will be able to over-rule ECHR
    - Romanians and Bulgarians given free access to GPs

Of, course, it's worth remembering that the last headline would be rewritten to: "Brits denied access to health services in Spain" if it were all reversed...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I would like to congratulate the Telegraph for managing four EU stories on the front page of telegraph.co.uk, not including the LibDem one:

- EU too power hungry

Of, course, it's worth remembering that the last headline would be rewritten to: "Brits denied access to health services in Spain" if it were all reversed...

Of course, there's no mention of how full up Megabus was at this time last year... and "Six more seats filled on 08:52 from Bucharest than in 2012" doesn't have quite the same ring to it
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited December 2013
    rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

In Spain you cannot get free state healthcare if under pension age unless you are employed and paying national insurance. Except for emergency treatment via an EHIC card.
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

In Spain you cannot get free state healthcare if under pension age unless you are employed and paying national insurance.
    Doesn't the EH111 card get you care? (Or whatever it's called these days?)
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

In Spain you cannot get free state healthcare if under pension age unless you are employed and paying national insurance.
    Does this mean the 28% of Spaniards who are unemployed do not get healthcare?

By the way, in general I am much more of a fan of the insurance system they have in France than the straight 'free' system we have. It makes it clear to users what the cost of healthcare is, while still offering universal coverage.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

By the way, in general I am much more of a fan of the insurance system they have in France than the straight 'free' system we have. It makes it clear to users what the cost of healthcare is, while still offering universal coverage.
    I am referring to expats whether residents or non-residents. Not sure about Spanish nationals.
  • Options
    I believe from friends who live in France it is the same as Spain regarding free healthcare for Croats under retirement age.
  • Options
    felix said:

I believe from friends who live in France it is the same as Spain regarding free healthcare for Croats under retirement age.

I have got free healthcare for me and my family in France when on holiday through the EH111 card (in fact, I would say the care we got was *far* superior to the NHS in every way).

Is EH111 for Brits only? Or does it only cover holidays?
  • Options
    felix said:

It's hard not to feel that the French insurance system is superior in terms of flexibility, quality of service and cost
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

It's hard not to feel that the French insurance system is superior in terms of flexibility, quality of service and cost
    Cost? French health spending is higher than ours. Say what you like about the NHS but it is cheap.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Cost? French health spending is higher than ours. Say what you like about the NHS but it is cheap.
    You are absolutely right - they spend 20-25% more per person than we do.
    Of course, that still half what the Americans spend...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

I have got free healthcare for me and my family in France when on holiday through the EH111 card (in fact, I would say the care we got was *far* superior to the NHS in every way).

Apparently there have been some cases where hospitals in Spain have refused other EU citizens treatment that they're legally entitled to and tried to make them use expensive private cover and claim it on their travel insurance. The Commission's been on their case about it:
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-474_en.htm

Maybe Felix's friends are referring to that, rather than the official legal position.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

The Americans may be paying through the nose but most medical advances do seem to come from the United States these days. Perhaps our politicians, and the NHS and industrialists, could learn something about how best to integrate clinical care and research.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Apparently there have been some cases where hospitals in Spain have refused other EU citizens treatment that they're legally entitled to and tried to make them use expensive private cover and claim it on their travel insurance. The Commission's been on their case about it:

Maybe Felix's friends are referring to that, rather than the official legal position.
    No the official legal position for expats is that there is no entitlement for those under retirement age if you are not paying into the Spanish social security system except for emergency treatment using the EHIC card. It is the same in most EU countries I believe. Most non-working expats under 65 get private cover or go back and forth to the UK and use our NHS - despite this being fraudulent!
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

No the official legal position for expats is that there is no entitlement for those under retirement age if you are not paying into the Spanish social security system except for emergency treatment using the EHIC card. It is the same in most EU countries I believe. Most non-working expats under 65 get private cover or go back and forth to the UK and use our NHS - despite this being fraudulent!
    Regarding your link the document confirms that expats are only entitled to emergency cover - most expats who complain are those who try to use the EHIC CARD to get full cover.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

The Americans may be paying through the nose but most medical advances do seem to come from the United States these days. Perhaps our politicians, and the NHS and industrialists, could learn something about how best to integrate clinical care and research.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. The cost of healthcare in the US is higher for at least four reasons:

1. Doctors are much better paid in America
    2. Drugs are much more expensive (because, by law, Medicaid and Medicare are not allowed to use their monopsony position to negotiate for better prices)
    3. Insurance for doctors is heinously expensive
    and
    4. People have a lot more medical procedures
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. The cost of healthcare in the US is higher for at least four reasons:

2. Drugs are much more expensive (because, by law, Medicaid and Medicare are not allowed to use their monopsony position to negotiate for better prices)
    and
    Number 3 should be borne in mind by those who think medical mishaps occur only in the NHS.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Talking of health, Julie Bailey, who founded the 'Cure the NHS' campaign after her mother's death at Stafford Hospital, has been made a CBE.

A nurse who whistleblowed at the same hospital has been made an OBE.

A good call on both counts. Bailey in particular deserves some recognition at some of the sh*t some people (some sadly on here) threw at her.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25549054
  • Options
    Is it true that Farage wants economic growth only for Christians?
  • Options
    Tim should be knighted for services to drawing the Prime Minister's attention to the need to shore up his image with lady voters, leading to:

"... New Year's Honours list, which features more women than men for the first time.

"Women - 611 of them - make up the majority (51%) of the list - the previous highest proportion was 47%."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25550751
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Talking of health, Julie Bailey, who founded the 'Cure the NHS' campaign after her mother's death at Stafford Hospital, has been made a CBE.

A good call on both counts. Bailey in particular deserves some recognition at some of the sh*t some people (some sadly on here) threw at her.

Isn't it "whistle blew"?

Otherwise I agree. Such encouragement and recognition is needed.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I agree. Kippers are very vocal in the press and message boards, but noise does not equal winning the argument. The LibDems pro EU stance is a major plus in my view. The problem is that EU elections are treated with such contempt that they are a farce in the UK.

Labour are reasonably pro EU as well, so the kippers look likely to remain noisy hecklers rather than anything more effective.

More people are enthusiastic about the EU than are enthusiastic about the Lib Dems at the moment, so establishing the Lib Dems as the only UK-wide party of "In" does seem like a good move. Differentiation in the marketplace, and all that.

• Options
    felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Regarding your link the document confirms that expats are only entitled to emergency cover - most expats who complain are those who try to use the EHIC CARD to get full cover.
    I don't think it does confirm that - it says that they're entitled to emergency cover by virtue of having the EHIC card, but it doesn't say anything about the situation for non-emergency cover.

In a lot of countries, including Japan, residents (nationals or not) who want subsidized healthcare need to sign up for some kind of contributory scheme, which may be part of national insurance or may be something else. Obviously if you prefer not to join the relevant scheme and hope to return to the UK and use the NHS if you get sick then you won't be covered, but apart from that, is there a suggestion somewhere that non-Spanish citizens are being denied access to the relevant schemes (NI or whatever they do for the unemployed etc) that Spanish people would be joining?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Isn't it "whistle blew"?

Otherwise I agree. Such encouragement and recognition is needed.
    Of course. (Smacks himself around the head with a lump of dough).

I blame the fact I have been baking bread and have not yet had my first coffee of the day.

More background on Mrs Donnelly and the utter failure at Stafford Hospital:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-23487863
  • Options
    Medical indemnity insurance represents about 15% of my costs in private practice, despite never having a succesful case against me in either private or NHS sector

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

and
    Number 3 should be borne in mind by those who think medical mishaps occur only in the NHS.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    And folowing up my own post:
    "THERE was one particular occasion when a lady died. She probably would have died anyway – it wasn't a failure in diagnosis – but it was how she was treated in that last 24 hours of life. It was just awful. She was spoken to so rudely. She was just dumped in a wheelchair. She waited for hours and hours to go back to the nursing home she was in, only to come back in as an emergency the next day. And she was frightened. I think she knew she was going to die because she recognised me from the previous day – she grasped hold of my hand and said 'am I going to die?'. And that still haunts me now, because of how she was treated. She might still have died, but it was the fact we could still have given her a more dignified end to life."
    And then this:
    Eventually, having done all she could to highlight the failings, Helene moved on to SSOTP. The Healthcare Commission report which exposed Stafford's grotesque inadequacies came out in 2009, their inspectors having gone in while Helene was there, but not followed up her attempt to talk to them.

"When the report came out, I was so incensed," she says. "Alan Johnson, the then health secretary, came on the radio and said 'what is so concerning about this is that no nurses or doctors spoke out about it'.
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stafford-Hospital-whistleblower-comes-shadows/story-18838037-detail/story.html
  • Options
    From Clegg’s perspective there is little to lose and maybe a lot to gain by being the one who is not equivocating in his approach to the Farage threat. Also it might be smart positioning the party as the main opponents of UKIP.

I would fully agree with that. Their local internal contradictions in Cornwall notwithstanding, I've never understood why the Lib Dems haven't been more forthright in their support for the EU. It might be a minority position but it's a substantially bigger minority than they're currently receiving support from and with no-one else fishing in that pond, offers plenty of opportunities.

I think Mike's being a bit pessimistic in suggesting that the LDs could struggle to win a single MEP. That's not outside the realms of possibility but it really will be a shocking night if they don't keep at one in at least one of the three southern constituencies outside London. Finishing fifth, on the other hand, is a good deal more likely given that the Greens have a strong record in these elections.
  • Options
    I have made the observation here a few times that events at Stafford were shocking, but not that atypical of the NHS.

In Leicester we are shortly to have our CQC inspection, and I expect it to be damning in many ways. I shall be interested to see the process and in particular whether it recognises the serious issues or gets bogged down in trivia. CQC reports on their website usually are damning of management.

I am glad the Stafford two got named in the honours list. More deserving than some superannuated politician.

And folowing up my own post:

"THERE was one particular occasion when a lady died. She probably would have died anyway – it wasn't a failure in diagnosis – but it was how she was treated in that last 24 hours of life. It was just awful. She was spoken to so rudely. She was just dumped in a wheelchair. She waited for hours and hours to go back to the nursing home she was in, only to come back in as an emergency the next day. And she was frightened. I think she knew she was going to die because she recognised me from the previous day – she grasped hold of my hand and said 'am I going to die?'. And that still haunts me now, because of how she was treated. She might still have died, but it was the fact we could still have given her a more dignified end to life."
    And then this:
    Eventually, having done all she could to highlight the failings, Helene moved on to SSOTP. The Healthcare Commission report which exposed Stafford's grotesque inadequacies came out in 2009, their inspectors having gone in while Helene was there, but not followed up her attempt to talk to them.

"When the report came out, I was so incensed," she says. "Alan Johnson, the then health secretary, came on the radio and said 'what is so concerning about this is that no nurses or doctors spoke out about it'.
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stafford-Hospital-whistleblower-comes-shadows/story-18838037-detail/story.html

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

Pure heresy RCS, it's an indisputable fact that the NHS is the best system in the world ever and can never be bettered and that everyone in the universe is jealous that we've got it and they haven't. A lifetime of social ostracism awaits you.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

and

Pharma and medical R&D is more worthwhile in the US than elsewhere because patents are more vigorously protected. Companies therefore have an incentive to invest. But it also explains many of the extra costs for end users there. It's instructive to compare and contrast US life sciences R&D with what happens over the border in Canada, where patents are much harder to enforce and there is not much R&D at all. American citizens effectively subsidise life sciences R&D for the rest of the world. We are very lucky they do, but one day they'll cotton on and we'll all be buggered.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Certainly, it makes sense for the Lib Dems to pitch their appeal to people who are pro-EU, as there are more of them than currently say they'd vote Lib Dem
  • Options
    One of my houseguests for New Year is an NHS worker who voted Labour at the last election. Unprompted she told me yesterday that she thought that things were getting noticeably a lot better in the NHS trust in which she was working, with some of the worst examples of waste and bureaucracy being dealt with. This was the exact opposite of what I had been expecting her to say.
  • Options
    Lebanon has an enormous number of Syrian refugees. What do they need? More bombs and bullets?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25544352

3 billion USD of arms is 3 times what all EU countries have given in aid to the refugees.

Saudi is possibly the most vile of all the ME countries, though some real competition in that league.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

Pure heresy RCS, it's an indisputable fact that the NHS is the best system in the world ever and can never be bettered and that everyone in the universe is jealous that we've got it and they haven't. A lifetime of social ostracism awaits you.
    Well, Jeremy Hunt recently said that the NHS was a superb service and Lord Howe said it made us the envy of the world the other day, so apparently the Tories love it now
  • Options
    On topic, well obviously the Lib Dems should take this position. There's a gap in the market for a noisily pro-EU party. I'm not sure the tone is right yet. They need to pitch more aggressively, along the lines of:

"If you want Britain to stay in the EU, you've got to vote for a party that is committed to keeping Britain in the EU. That means the Lib Dems."
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

Well, Jeremy Hunt recently said that the NHS was a superb service and Lord Howe said it made us the envy of the world the other day, so apparently the Tories love it now
    LOL two politicians dish spin, conclusive proof. Next.
  • Options
    I would agree. It wasnt just the economy that got messed up under Labour, the NHS did also, in part camoflauged by increased spending.

Labour simply is incapable of getting value for money when spending our money.
    antifrank said:

One of my houseguests for New Year is an NHS worker who voted Labour at the last election. Unprompted she told me yesterday that she thought that things were getting noticeably a lot better in the NHS trust in which she was working, with some of the worst examples of waste and bureaucracy being dealt with. This was the exact opposite of what I had been expecting her to say.

• Options

I would agree. It wasnt just the economy that got messed up under Labour, the NHS did also, in part camoflauged by increased spending.

Labour simply is incapable of getting value for money when spending our money.

antifrank said:

I tend to have a lot of dealings with ambulance staff, I'm on nodding terms with many EMAS paramedics and technicians. They all seem really disgruntled, mostly about management, and being overstretched.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Not sure that this will do the LDs any good. Are they really going to devote serious campaign resources to the Euros? As Mike regularly reminds us, the EU is a minority passion.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

On topic, well obviously the Lib Dems should take this position. There's a gap in the market for a noisily pro-EU party. I'm not sure the tone is right yet. They need to pitch more aggressively, along the lines of:

"If you want Britain to stay in the EU, you've got to vote for a party that is committed to keeping Britain in the EU. That means the Lib Dems."

I agree it is the best stance for them to take, almost a gap in the market if you like.

Very easy for the media and UKIP to pick them off though, they only have to quote what Clegg and the rest said would happen if we didn't join the Euro.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not sure that this will do the LDs any good. Are they really going to devote serious campaign resources to the Euros? As Mike regularly reminds us, the EU is a minority passion.

Being a liberal democrat is a minority position too. The question is, can Clegg persuade the 30% or so of voters who are committed to EU membership to lend him their vote in May.

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Speaking of the euro, the Latvians will join shortly:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25332243

Sounds like rats joining a sinking ship to me, but there we are.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Cleggover's comments in the DT are further proof that the growth and public recognition of UKIP, has changed UK politics for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    One of the impossible mountains any pro-EU party has to climb is to **somehow** explain the actual purpose of the Euros beyond a protest vote. Fundamentally, there is still no EU political culture in the UK. Not sure the LDs are in a position to solve this.

No-one knows what an MEP really does, let alone the differences between the parties' programmes. Until this happens the Euros are just a protest vote competition, between...

* Protest against he EU
    * Protest against the govt,
    * Protest against local govt
    * Protest against a specific party

...or all four. UKIP are set up to do well.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Being a liberal democrat is a minority position too. The question is, can Clegg persuade the 30% or so of voters who are committed to EU membership to lend him their vote in May.

That is an obvious no.

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

I was in Latvia in may, and was astonished by their enthusiasm. The Latvians I met explained that, however bad Brussels was, it couldn't be worse than 50 years of Russian occupation. The biggest museum in Riga is the museum of the occupation, and it's almost a shrine to avoiding anything to do with the Russians. The other point made was that, as a very small country, they would need to either link their currency to another (like Hong Kong with the dollar) or join the Euro or ruble. The Euro, to them, seemed the least bad option.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    It does make sense, but only as part of a wider strategy. Just as not that many people are interested enough in the EU to vote UKIP solely for that reason (their rise is mostly for wider reasons), there aren't that many super-europhiles either.

On the NHS, we all have our anecdotes, good and bad (inevitably given the size of the organisation), but the polling is unambiguous that most people find it pretty good most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be improved or that we should treat any criticism as heresy. Generally in any organisation the people who actually work for it are some of the most critical, but they clearly need a hearing anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

I was in Latvia in may, and was astonished by their enthusiasm. The Latvians I met explained that, however bad Brussels was, it couldn't be worse than 50 years of Russian occupation. The biggest museum in Riga is the museum of the occupation, and it's almost a shrine to avoiding anything to do with the Russians. The other point made was that, as a very small country, they would need to either link their currency to another (like Hong Kong with the dollar) or join the Euro or ruble. The Euro, to them, seemed the least bad option.

Iceland is having this debate on an ongoing basis. They need to do something, but seem to have ruled the Euro out. Maybe they should get together with an independent Scotland to create a new currency. One Arc = 100 Prosperities. More seriously, is there scope for a Nordic currency involving Denmark, Norway and Iceland in which an independent Scotland might participate. Very different economies, of course, but pretty similar outlooks and no obviously dominant partner.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited December 2013
    Nobody really cares what Clegg says these days. Having him and the likes of little Danny in favour of something is a sure-fire way of turning the public against it now.

It will please a few uber Cleggites and their ostrich faction of inept spinners, but the fact is the public just aren't listening anymore and haven't been for years.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

There is no cure for calamity Clegg's toxicity. Either enough lib dems MPs finally realise that and try to do something about it to save their own skins, or Clegg and his ostrich faction manage to cling on just long enough for a ruinous election and leave the many, many years of rebuilding to those who bottled taking action. Bottled it like David Miliband did against Brown.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Did Miliband really finish the year with lower approval ratings from YouGov, Ipsos Mori and Opinium?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

One of the impossible mountains any pro-EU party has to climb is to **somehow** explain the actual purpose of the Euros beyond a protest vote. Fundamentally, there is still no EU political culture in the UK. Not sure the LDs are in a position to solve this.

No-one knows what an MEP really does, let alone the differences between the parties' programmes. Until this happens the Euros are just a protest vote competition, between...

* Protest against he EU

Is there an obvious EU political culture in many European countries? In Spain, for example, I see very little coverage of what happens in Brussels except as it affects Spain. MEPs are pretty much as unknown as they are here and turnouts are generally much lower than for national elections.

The Pirate Party got 17% of the vote in the last Swedish EU Parliament election. It got a fraction of that in the subsequent national poll.

In fact, it might be worth keeping an eye on the EU Parliament vote for the Pirate vote in a few member states

• Options

On the NHS, we all have our anecdotes, good and bad (inevitably given the size of the organisation), but the polling is unambiguous that most people find it pretty good most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be improved or that we should treat any criticism as heresy. Generally in any organisation the people who actually work for it are some of the most critical, but they clearly need a hearing anyway.

That's the thing that bugs me about about Labour and the NHS, Nick.
    Critism of "our" NHS is greeted by Labour supporters (especially on here!) as being the most heinous crime imaginable.
    In the real world, the general public don't love the NHS, or hate the NHS. It's something that has always been there, that we probably take a little to for granted, and it's something we'd rather like to keep. We're reasonably happy with it, and we'll all have excellent, average, and poor anecdotes about it.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    New game from the BBC Where's Maggie or Find Fatcha.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25438586

• Options
    New Year's Day on PB

There will be a crossword. This time compiled by Aaron Bell
  • Options

Jonathan said:

* Protest against he EU

Is there an obvious EU political culture in many European countries? In Spain, for example, I see very little coverage of what happens in Brussels except as it affects Spain. MEPs are pretty much as unknown as they are here and turnouts are generally much lower than for national elections.

The Pirate Party got 17% of the vote in the last Swedish EU Parliament election. It got a fraction of that in the subsequent national poll.

In fact, it might be worth keeping an eye on the EU Parliament vote for the Pirate vote in a few member states

The more I think about it, the more the thing is set up to fail. In Westminster I have one MP, like him or loathe him, there is a chance you might know who that person is.

In Brussels/Strasbourg I have 10 MEPs. Because I am pretty well infomred about politics, I know three out of that ten. I could not name the other 7, or the leaders of the parties in the European parliament. In a working system, I should know exactly who they are, what they have done and what their promise is.

In this context, a pro-EU position does not stand a chance. It is impossible to engage in these elections in a straightforward way.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think Clegg has made a sensible move. There has to be a party that is pro-EU. Tories are massively split, with most apparently wanting to leave the EU. Labour are pro-EU, but are far too nervous to discuss this in a positive way, for fear of upsetting some voters. Will Labour match the Tories in offering an in/out EU referendum in 2017 ? A lot of people think that they will do, but I am not so sure. I just cannot see it being a sensible move for the UK to be debating EU membership for about 2 years, when it should be concentrating on obtaining a sustained economic recovery. Business and investors like to have certainty.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

That's a bit unfair - it's looking at 'cultural' figures (i.e. the ones who could safely be put on the Golgafrincham B Arc). Thatcher was the first picture on yesterday's, which dealt with global figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25438587
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Anyone watching it will see the late baroness is first and last.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Jonathan said:

* Protest against he EU

The Danish and German press give a fair amount of coverage to EU Parliament debates - obviously most where they affect the country - and MEPs in Denmark are quite well-known (one has just been transferred back to a senior Government post). Turnout overall is shown here:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/aboutparliament/en/000cdcd9d4/Turnout-(1979-2009).html

- it's drifted down from 62 to 43 over 30 years, though it varies wildly by country, with e.g. Latvia nearly 3 times as interested as Lithuania.

My evening job is translation, mostly EU documents, and it has to be said that most of the legislation is clearly useful to business (e.g. I've just done 4000 words on standards for marine fire-fighting equipment, which will mean the same on-board fire extinguishers can be sold everywhere) but profoundly unexciting, and it's often not obvious how e.g. Labour and Tories could stake out different positions on the subject.

As EiT has said, the main source of information for many people is NGOs, who identify an issue that is being decided at EU level and mobilise support for their position. When the EU was deciding to ban testing of cosmetics on animals (forcing shampoo into rabbits' eyes over 3 days etc.), there was intense lobbying by both industry and animal welfare groups of every MEP on the key committee, and our regular supporters got stuck in with emails to all the key people. (We won.) Party lines are less sharp than in Westminster - much of the EPP (Christian Democrats) is reliably pro-industry, but the other MEPs generally look at issues from case to case and don't always vote as a bloc.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Perhaps our politicians, and the NHS and industrialists, could learn something about how best to integrate clinical care and research.

One of the speakers at the UKIP conference made the damage done to medical research, the cost of clinical trials, by the EU clinical trials directive the subject of his speech.

http://youtu.be/5m1jJ6gmo2Y
  • Options
    Poll alert.

Panelbase/Scottish National Party
    Sample size: 1,012 adults in Scotland
    Fieldwork: 13-20 December
    (+/- change from 30 Aug - 5 Sep Panelbase/Sunday Times)

Scottish Parliament constituency vote

SNP: 40% (-5)
    Labour: 32% (n/c)
    Conservative: 15% (+3)
    Lib Dem: 5% (n/c)
    Other: 8% (+2)

Scottish Parliament regional list vote

SNP: 40% (-6)
    Labour: 31% (+3)
    Conservative: 14% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 5% (+1)
    Green: 5% (-1)
    Other: 5% (+1)

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2013/dec/final-poll-2013-shows-substantial-snp-lead
  • Options
    BetVictor - Scottish GE 2016 - Most seats

SNP 4/6
    Lab 5/4
    oth 150/1
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

* Protest against he EU

The more I think about it, the more the thing is set up to fail. In Westminster I have one MP, like him or loathe him, there is a chance you might know who that person is.

In Brussels/Strasbourg I have 10 MEPs. Because I am pretty well infomred about politics, I know three out of that ten. I could not name the other 7, or the leaders of the parties in the European parliament. In a working system, I should know exactly who they are, what they have done and what their promise is.

In this context, a pro-EU position does not stand a chance. It is impossible to engage in these elections in a straightforward way.

I have had quite a bit of low level interaction with various EU institutions, including the Parliament and a few MEPs. The major problem as far as I can see is that there is nothing in the whole system to encourage those inside the bubble to look outside it. Specific, issue-based media scrutiny is almost entirely non-existent, voters have no idea who represents them, pay and benefits packages are top class, facilities are superb, national politicians and institutions take all the real flak. It creates a terrible complacency that, in general, means there is no real questioning in Brussels of how the EU is organised or projects itself. In short, the EU is its own worst enemy. No wonder those who do speak out against it make hay - they have so much to aim at. A response from an entitled bureaucrat or MEP that begins with "Well, actually, it's a lot more complicated than that ..." (even if it is) is bound to fall on deaf, smouldering ears.

• Options

I think Mike's being a bit pessimistic in suggesting that the LDs could struggle to win a single MEP. That's not outside the realms of possibility but it really will be a shocking night if they don't keep at one in at least one of the three southern constituencies outside London. Finishing fifth, on the other hand, is a good deal more likely given that the Greens have a strong record in these elections.

Are the LDs so certain to have a bad night?

Their post 2010 performance at local elections ~15%, is much the same as their past EU election numbers. A PR election.

1999: 12.7%
    2004: 14.9%
    2009: 13.7%

(numbers all taken from Wikipedia.)

• Options

That's the thing that bugs me about about Labour and the NHS, Nick.
    Critism of "our" NHS is greeted by Labour supporters (especially on here!) as being the most heinous crime imaginable.
    In the real world, the general public don't love the NHS, or hate the NHS. It's something that has always been there, that we probably take a little to for granted, and it's something we'd rather like to keep. We're reasonably happy with it, and we'll all have excellent, average, and poor anecdotes about it.

I think the public view is a bit warmer than that - IIRC it turns up in polls as the most popular institution, ahead of the armed forces and the Royals. But I agree both that people have mixed but on balance positive impressions, and also that it shouldn't be treated as some sort of Holy Scripture.

From where I'm standing it seems to me that what you describe tends to be reactions to people who are having a go at the NHS in general on the basis of individual cases - posts like "Ha, how can anyone but thick Labour voters say the NHS is any good after Stafford?" are pretty common. Most don't come out and say "I want to scrap the NHS" but it's pretty clear that's what some of them mean, and of course a strong reaction to that is reasonable if one thinks it's important.

You see it more here because some posters are commendably frank about their views (possibly since they're not standing for election), whereas Tory politicians muffle any leanings they may have to get rid of the thing. But the suspicion that it's what most Tories basically think is widespread and a very substantial drag on the Tory vote.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Morning all :)

Well, I listened to Nick's New Year Message and anodyne stuff it is for the most part. As others have said, it's probably a good idea for the Party to be unashamedly pro-EU though always with the caveat that it's far from perfect and needs ongoing reform.

Interesting also to hear the differentiation on the economy and the three successes mentioned were cutting taxes, freezing petrol prices and free school meals. Whether George Osborne would put those three at the top of his list we'll have to ask Avery.

I thought the attack line on Labour was intriguing - on Europe it was more about not having a line but on the economy it was back to pre-2010 and nowhere was the iinference that a vote for UKIP might also wreck the recovery by handing power to Labour which I suspect will be the main Conservative attack line on UKIP.

"Don't let Labour ruin it" is an old message and whether it has the resonance it once did remains to be seen. It's not just about statistics and indicators - individuals can be doing well but that doesn't mean they don't resent the loss of a local service or they know someone who has suffered through benefit cuts.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer - I agree with much of what you say and certainly see it in my own area (IP). MEPs can often be swayed by loud, well-organised lobbying - often to the Commission's and national government frustration. But I do think there is also a very seductive Brussels bubble that protects those inside it and shields them from the real world. This is extremely damaging - and a bad thing - in my view. The Commission is far too often a horribly cosy, self-congratulatory consensus.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    As one of the select few left - a pro-Europe Tory - I look more kindly on Cleggy for positioning this way and in something like the Euros that would be tempting for me...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

When the USA conservatives were casting around for an alternative to Obamacare, the French model seemed to emerge as their least-worst option.

Civitas produce some interesting pamphlets on different healthcare models.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/nhs/index.php

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    "Sold out! Flights and buses full as Romanians and Bulgarians head for the UK"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531440/Sold-Flights-buses-Romanians-Bulgarians-head-UK.html#ixzz2p2tizPAX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And those above are presumably the well off. I can see long lines of Transilvanian hoi polloi trecking to the UK by all and any means.
  • Options

As one of the select few left - a pro-Europe Tory - I look more kindly on Cleggy for positioning this way and in something like the Euros that would be tempting for me...

Not so few. Michael Fallon advocated the Conservatives making a pro-EU case to combat UKIP in the run-up to the Euros.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/12/tea-at-22-michael-fallon-on-jobs-europe-and-ukip/
  • Options
    O/T: I had Nate Silver's book on prediction, "The Signal and the Noise" as an Xmas present - have only dipped in so far but looks excellent for anyone interested in our sort of stuff.
  • Options
    Two BA flights, each carrying 152 passengers (none of them British, presumably), sold out; and 16 coaches - each carrying 50 passengers - scheduled to hit our shores next month. What the Mail has uncovered is around 1,100 people travelling to Britain from Romania and Bulgaria in January. Truly an invasion of unprecedented proportions; and I guess we'll have to assume the return legs undertaken by the planes and coaches will be empty.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Ostensibly a sensible move by Clegg.

I'm interested in what this means for Labour at the Euros. If the LibDems are drawing the anti-EU heat, that may deflect fire away from Labour's pro-EU tendencies.

A few posters have mentioned the Greens. The Euros really should be crucial for them; a PR election, held at a time of disenchantment with the other pro-environment party (the LibDems), and when for the first time they have both a (Westminster) MP and control of a council. Thus far I haven't seen any sign that they're capitalising on it.
  • Options
    Mr. Capitano, it's not a good time to be a Green, I suspect. People are displeased about energy costs, greenery is expensive, and with temperatures plateauing[sp] for rather a long time the country (but not its politicians) are becoming increasingly sceptical.

It's probably another reason why UKIP are doing well. If warming scepticism is your major political issue, who else would you vote for?
  • Options
    F1: Schumacher condition slightly improves, but it's still extremely bad:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25558709
  • Options
    Imagine my surprise when I consulted the website of the Wizz Airlines quoted by the Mail to find it runs just one daily flight from Bucharest, and that the higher than usual rates cover a period which is a bank holiday weekend in Romania. If you wait until a weekday you can save a packet. Whoever would have thought it?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531440/Sold-Flights-buses-Romanians-Bulgarians-head-UK.html#ixzz2p2tizPAX

And those above are presumably the well off. I can see long lines of Transilvanian hoi polloi trecking to the UK by all and any means.

I think the Mail are over egging the pudding a little.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    MikeK said:

As someone else wisely pointed out upthread, how does that compare with normal?
  • Options
    For some reason I have a craving to collect two-pound coins next year. Not as bent as a two-pound note hopefully....
  • Options
    Spanish newspapers have found that flights from the UK to Madrid and Barcelona are booked solid for weeks to come. It can only mean that poncing Brits eager to steal Spanish jobs and benefits are on the move.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

Doesn't the EH111 card get you care? (Or whatever it's called these days?)
    The EHIC (the replacement to the E111) is a much abused system - by the service providers rather than by the patients.

When I worked in Norway I was refused treatment on the EHIC system on the grounds that since I was working there rather than just visiting the system did not apply to me and I therefore had to pay for all treatment on my credit card.

I did eventually get the money back through my insurers who then took over the case against the Norwegians and I am sure got their money back but the system is not as straightforward as people seem to think. Though I have had no experience of it I understand that tourists in Spain and France have had similar problems.
  • Options
    Not the most important story, but the new coins look alright:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25558632

Miles better than the bloody awful failed second form offering of recent years, which replaced the portcullis and Britannia with little chopped up bits of the royal crest.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    edited December 2013
    @NickPalmer said:
    "My evening job is translation, mostly EU documents, and it has to be said that most of the legislation is clearly useful to business (e.g. I've just done 4000 words on standards for marine fire-fighting equipment, which will mean the same on-board fire extinguishers can be sold everywhere) but profoundly unexciting, and it's often not obvious how e.g. Labour and Tories could stake out different positions on the subject."

Nick, do you really believe that 4000 words on the standards of marine fire fighting equipment is useful to business?

I think this is exactly the sort of thing that makes the EU so unpopular. What small businessman who wants to sell fire extinguishers (not exactly cutting edge technology) has the time, the money or the ability to cope with regulations like this? In the name of the single market the vast majority of potential market participants are excluded for the benefit of the big boys.

I do a number of cases involving EU law. It is always incredibly complicated with large numbers of different documents being referred to and inter-related to each other. The eurolexis sites hardly help as they are extremely difficult to make sense of. Where I have to explain this to business people the invariable response is irritation verging on anger and complete confusion about why it has to be so complicated.

I cannot help feeling that the Commission and the Parliament exist in the sort of bubble that Southam describes where they genuinely think that they are being useful and productive churning out vast quantities of regulations on matters that simply don't need regulated at all, let alone at EU level.

How many anti EU speakers claim a very high share of our legislation is produced by this regulation factory? As others have said the EU is its own worst enemy. If they concentrated on the important things and took even more long lunches in Brussel's fabulous restaurants they might become more popular and the Lib Dem strategy might have better prospects.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

- EU too power hungry

Agreed. It is one of the huge problems with the cult of the NHS that those who have not experienced alternatives actually think it is a world class service whereas compared to many other European countries it is 'not bad' at best. The system in France is miles better whilst still being free at point of delivery.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

But why:

As any fule knows the Kingdom of Wee-Fr'Eck is the honey-pot! All that oil; all that progressiveness; all those wonderful banks! Someone is selling the Western Eastern* Macaedonian and Dacian tribes a pap....

* Sorry; Hoare-Laval moment....
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

But why:

As any fule knows the Kingdom of Wee-Fr'Eck is the honey-pot! All that oil; all that progressiveness; all those wonderful banks! Someone is selling the Western Eastern * Macaedonian and Dacian tribes a pap....

* Hoare-Laval moment.... :oops:
  • Options

Poll alert.

Panelbase/Scottish National Party
    Sample size: 1,012 adults in Scotland
    Fieldwork: 13-20 December
    (+/- change from 30 Aug - 5 Sep Panelbase/Sunday Times)

Scottish Parliament constituency vote

SNP: 40% (-5)
    Labour: 32% (n/c)
    Conservative: 15% (+3)
    Lib Dem: 5% (n/c)
    Other: 8% (+2)

Scottish Parliament regional list vote

SNP: 40% (-6)
    Labour: 31% (+3)
    Conservative: 14% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 5% (+1)
    Green: 5% (-1)
    Other: 5% (+1)

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2013/dec/final-poll-2013-shows-substantial-snp-lead

Slightly spooky how consistently the Scottish LDs figure hovers around that 5-6% mark, and how afaicr it accords pretty closely with Scottish sub samples also. The only way is up! There does seem to be a persistent, if small, upsurge for the SCons. I wonder if the clear defining of the SNP as the potential breakers of the Union has concentrated the minds of some SNP voting Cons?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Is it true that Farage wants economic growth only for Christians?

By that logic, Cameron doesn't want it at all, and Miliband only wants it for 500 people ;)
  • Options
    @DavidL - if you want to sell fire extinguishers, having to comply with one set of standards covering a market of 500 million plus is surely better than having to comply with 28 sets of standards, isn't it? As a small internet business, it's certainly easier for us to have to comply with one set of data protection laws, rather than a couple of dozen plus.
  • Options
    Hats off to Clegg for at least being positive about Lib Dems EU support. Makes Cameron look even more insincere, and of course it reinforces the LDs as the only party to vote for Europhiles
  • Options

Imagine my surprise when I consulted the website of the Wizz Airlines quoted by the Mail to find it runs just one daily flight from Bucharest, and that the higher than usual rates cover a period which is a bank holiday weekend in Romania. If you wait until a weekday you can save a packet. Whoever would have thought it?

Yeah I suppose it will only be 1000 or so Roms and Bulgs coming... And there was i thinking it would be 29m... Bloody Farage
  • Options
    isam said:

Yeah I suppose it will only be 1000 or so Roms and Bulgs coming... And there was i thinking it would be 29m... Bloody Farage

Not sure what Farage has to do with the Mail printing a story designed to deceive its readership. That said, my guess is that the anticipated influx of Romanians and Bulgarians from tomorrow will be closer to 1000 than 29 million.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Two BA flights, each carrying 152 passengers (none of them British, presumably), sold out; and 16 coaches - each carrying 50 passengers - scheduled to hit our shores next month. What the Mail has uncovered is around 1,100 people travelling to Britain from Romania and Bulgaria in January. Truly an invasion of unprecedented proportions; and I guess we'll have to assume the return legs undertaken by the planes and coaches will be empty.

When the A8 EU countries were first allowed to migrate to the UK, the Guardian ran a couple of stories in literally and exactly the opposite direction - "look, the buses from Warsaw are half empty, no one is coming, the Daily Mail is making it up".

About six months later, when it was pretty damn clear there WAS a massive influx underway, the Guardian went oddly quiet.

Lefties, like you, should really shut the F up on this subject. Your track record is not good, your "opinions" are unwanted, your values are deviant and perverse.

You've been dying to do that all Christmas. Happy new year to you.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Nick, do you really believe that 4000 words on the standards of marine fire fighting equipment is useful to business?

I think this is exactly the sort of thing that makes the EU so unpopular. What small businessman who wants to sell fire extinguishers (not exactly cutting edge technology) has the time, the money or the ability to cope with regulations like this? In the name of the single market the vast majority of potential market participants are excluded for the benefit of the big boys.

No, I wouldn't say so - I've worked on UK regulations which are similarly dense, and the reason is simply that they need to be specific on points of detail. To take a random paragraph of my translation (no nit-picking please, I've sent it off!):

"In the protected spaces, the electrical circuits that are required to trigger the system shall be conducted in fireproof cables, in accordance with the I.E.C. standards. The pipe systems necessary for hydraulic or pneumatic use shall be made of steel or other heat-resistant material approved by the national authority."

If I'm hoping to supply fire extinguishing systems to ships across the EU, it's useful to know that the cables need to be fireproof to a specific standard and that it's OK to use an alternative to steel piping if I can get it locally approved. I'm not sure that it could be worded much more briefly without losing precision. The other paragraphs deal with everything from the warning systems that prevent crew being randomly sprayed with CO2 to the electrical backups to prevent the fire burning up the circuits needed to trigger the sprays.

Ostensibly a sensible move by Clegg.

I'm interested in what this means for Labour at the Euros. If the LibDems are drawing the anti-EU heat, that may deflect fire away from Labour's pro-EU tendencies.

A few posters have mentioned the Greens. The Euros really should be crucial for them; a PR election, held at a time of disenchantment with the other pro-environment party (the LibDems), and when for the first time they have both a (Westminster) MP and control of a council. Thus far I haven't seen any sign that they're capitalising on it.

The Greens are doing OK in the polls and seem to have supporters who are entirely, ostentatiously indifferent to tactical voting appeals. I think they'll have problems in Brighton and Hove as they've collided with reality there, but they'll do inconveniently well elsewhere for us rival progressives.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

There was an interview with the Latvian foreign minister I heard (where the interviewer adopted pretty much the Morris Dancer position, possibly as a devil's advocate but more likely because he couldn't be bothered to understand the situation in Latvia).

IIRC (and it was two or three months ago), he said that about 80% of Latvia's foreign trade is conducted in Euros, so as the country is massively affected by the Eurozone anyway it makes a lot more sense to be in it.

FWIW, I am far from convinced that it is a sinking ship. Having survived intact throughout the last five years, it's proven remarkably resiliant and while the Eurocrisis isn't quite out of the woods yet, the situation's far better than it was a year ago, or two years ago. Indeed, the consequences of the crisis - greater co-operation and oversight combined with structural reform in the Med countries, slow though it is - should help to solidify the bloc in the future.

We can reasonably expect the Eurozone to expand again in 2015 with Lithuania. Who the next entrant will be after that, and when, is a trickier question.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

isam said:

Not sure what Farage has to do with the Mail printing a story designed to deceive its readership. That said, my guess is that the anticipated influx of Romanians and Bulgarians from tomorrow will be closer to 1000 than 29 million.

I didn't say he had anything to do with it...

But he did lead me to believe there would be 29m coming over... I'll have to take my shed off the right move website if your prediction is right.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    I was listening to some interesting bits on R5 about the Romanian "invasion" last night driving home. First there was a lot of emphasis on how insulted the Romanians were and how they regarded much of the coverage in our tabloid press as little short of racist. (They clearly have a point.)

Secondly, there are now apparently 4,000 Brits working and living in Romania. Many of them have been incentivised to start businesses there by schemes designed to encourage inward investment which is sorely needed.

Thirdly, it was claimed that those who were coming were not coming on spec but because they already had a job here (unlike the Poles etc who did come here on spec).

Well we will see. At the moment the UK is the job creation centre of the EU and if I was young, ambitious and Romanian I might at least think about the possibilities of working in the most exciting city on earth.
This discussion has been closed.