Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2015 – the scene is set for four way tactical voting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2015 – the scene is set for four way tactical voting

A key part of the Tory effort to remain at Number 10 will be to get over to CON-UKIP defectors that in the key LAB-CON battlegrounds the best way of stopping Ed Miliband becoming next PM is by them voting with the blues rather than the purples.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Deliberately basically first, globule...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    There is a smallish group of Labour supporters whose sole function in voting is keeping the tories out. This group is somewhat larger but arguably also more irrelevant in Scotland than elsewhere. Clearly this group are willing to vote tactically to achieve their objective and have done so in the past to support Lib Dems.

Is there any evidence that any other segment of the electorate are so motivated or are willing to vote that way? What we get on here, for example, from the numerous UKIP supporters is that the tories and Labour are just the same and they are indifferent to the outcome. They will vote according to their principles. SeanF may be an exception to this but I can think of few others.

Tim has repeatedly pointed out that tories are traditionally very reluctant to vote tactically. In his view voting according to your principles is evidence of stupidity.

What we have seen in Scotland is that FPTP really does not work well with 4 players and that you get some extreme results with the winner having little over 25% of the votes. But I don't know of any evidence that even this level of absurdity increased tactical voting.

In short I doubt the premise of the headnote. In almost all constituences there will be insufficient reliable information available to make such choices even if the electorate were so minded which I suggest they are not in the vast majority of cases.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: very sad to hear that what had been reported, when I first read it, as 'not a serious' head injury has now shifted to Schumacher being in a coma. Help arrived swiftly and obviously money's no object so hopefully he'll be able to recover, but it's clearly a grave situation:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993
  • Options
    Never in a million years would I vote tactically, Tim thinks I am stupid anyway.

A real man votes with his principles, I'll leave it to others to vote for things they don't believe in.

As a UKIP man my obvious choice is to vote Tory, but why would I vote for a party that doesn't believe in giving bright working class kids a chance, that is run by a pro-EU elite, that had to be dragged by the Lib Dems into raising the tax threshold.

I don't believe in the Tory party and will not vote tactically to support them. If that means Ed gets in then so be it.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: very sad to hear that what had been reported, when I first read it, as 'not a serious' head injury has now shifted to Schumacher being in a coma. Help arrived swiftly and obviously money's no object so hopefully he'll be able to recover, but it's clearly a grave situation:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993

The case seems to bear an alarming similarity to Natasha Richardson who initially turned the ambulance away after a skiing accident and a head injury and subsequently died. Hopefully in this case the brain swelling has been identified quickly enough and acted upon to avoid such a tragic outcome.

• Options
    Mr. L, I'm not familiar with the case you refer to, although did hear it in passing on Sky last night.

The other day I read an interesting comparison between Vettel and Schumacher, asserting the latter was better because he went to Ferrari and turned it around, whereas Vettel (whilst undoubtedly being immensely quick) very quickly found himself at a winning team and has (so far) stayed there.

As a child my earliest F1 memories are of Schumacher and Hill. I was a Schumacher fan, not so much despite his rule-bending/breaking, but because of it (I enjoyed rooting for the villain).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

Never in a million years would I vote tactically, Tim thinks I am stupid anyway.

A real man votes with his principles, I'll leave it to others to vote for things they don't believe in.

As a UKIP man my obvious choice is to vote Tory, but why would I vote for a party that doesn't believe in giving bright working class kids a chance, that is run by a pro-EU elite, that had to be dragged by the Lib Dems into raising the tax threshold.

I don't believe in the Tory party and will not vote tactically to support them. If that means Ed gets in then so be it.

"a party that doesn't believe in giving bright working class kids a chance"

I presume this means a return to grammar schools. In which case, what happens to the less-bright working class kids?

I see a great deal of concentration on the 'grammar schools', and very little on the perhaps more important aspect: the kids who really need help.

An education system has to help everyone.
  • Options

Nigel, your views are exactly the point I was making and a good illustration.

I completely disagree with you that tories are failing to give bright working class kids a chance. It seems to me that the Gove reforms are focussed exactly on that point and he has said as much many times (being a bright kid from a poorish background himself). It will of course be some years before we know whether he has succeeded or not. Maybe that is a discussion for another time.

Tactical voting requires (a) a strongly motivated electorate (b) who are more against something than for something and (c) has sufficient reliable information to make that choice. I really do not see even 2 of 3 of these requirements in the vast majority of constituencies.

• Options
    @DavidL - do you believe that all those voting SNP in the 2011 Scottish elections did so for positive reasons? My sense was that many of those votes were anti-Labour ones.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "That Ashcroft polling also showed that in spite of the coalition the LDs were making progress with LAB voters in key LD-CON marginals where 19% indicated a readiness to vote tactically."

Being willing to vote tactically, and being wiling to vote LD, are two different things.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I completely disagree with you that tories are failing to give bright working class kids a chance. It seems to me that the Gove reforms are focussed exactly on that point and he has said as much many times (being a bright kid from a poorish background himself). It will of course be some years before we know whether he has succeeded or not. Maybe that is a discussion for another time.

Tactical voting requires (a) a strongly motivated electorate (b) who are more against something than for something and (c) has sufficient reliable information to make that choice. I really do not see even 2 of 3 of these requirements in the vast majority of constituencies.

It also requires a (d) - a chance your vote will make a difference. In most constituencies it won't. But for left-leaning voters in LD/Tory marginals it certainly does. It will be interesting to see whether Tory voters in Labour/LD battlegrounds begin to think in the same way. The little evidence there is seems to indicate they won't - maybe the politics of differentiation in the Coalition works against the LDs here.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    DavidL interestingly challenges the (pretty widely-accepted) premise that tactical voters exist in large numbers.

Classically it's true of small parties. The far left, the far right (beyond UKIP) and the Greens would all do better if people thought they might win seats, and there have been polls for many years showing LibDems at 30% or more given a push-poll question ("If the LibDems might win here, would you..."), which shows a basic propensity. It's also a factor which many people keep in mind, partly because they otherwise wouldn't vote at all - loads of voters think we're all rubbish to varying degrees, but they will vote because they want to defeat the local candidate of Y.

Next time, I think a lot of Lib-Lab votes are going to be tactical. The main question mark is UKIP, and there I think the tactical vote will prove elusive - their voters are generally going to vote UKIP if they vote at all.

FPT - JohnLoony asks if older contributors were aware of the horrors in Cambodia before the fall of the Khmer Rouge and whether there might be something similar in North Korea. It had become pretty clear that the KR were murderous nutters, and only cold-war considerations prevented a general welcome when Vietnam got fed up with KR border raids and took them out. I don't think the sheer scale of the horror was widely-known, though.

The position is potentially similar in North Korea, but we don't know the full scale for sure. The problem is that in the absence of a free press it's very hard to distinguish between governments that routinely mistreat opponents (like nearly all dictatorships and some democracies) and governments that slaughter citizens on an industrial scale: defectors tend to claim the latter, but it's not always quite true. A key difference is whether you can get by just keeping your head down (as you pretty much could under latter-day Franco and Brezhnev, but not under Hitler or Pol Pot). FWIW my impression is that North Korea is pretty terrible - whether on a Pol Pot scale we shall see when it collapses.

What the world should be doing about it right now is a very difficult question and I don't pretend to know the answer. "Contain it and hope China pulls the plug" seems the default, and it may be the least evil.
  • Options

Mr. L, I'm not familiar with the case you refer to, although did hear it in passing on Sky last night.

The other day I read an interesting comparison between Vettel and Schumacher, asserting the latter was better because he went to Ferrari and turned it around, whereas Vettel (whilst undoubtedly being immensely quick) very quickly found himself at a winning team and has (so far) stayed there.

As a child my earliest F1 memories are of Schumacher and Hill. I was a Schumacher fan, not so much despite his rule-bending/breaking, but because of it (I enjoyed rooting for the villain).

It was my wife that mentioned it and she seems to be right: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ambulance-turned-natasha-richardson-skiing-accident-mont-tremblant-resort-article-1.368103 She always had a bit of a thing for Schumacher (and Liam Neeson as well actually).

I have never been as enthusiastic about F1 as you clearly are but I was a lot more interested in the Schumacher/Hill era. At the time the clear indication was that Schumacher was far more involved in the development of the car than current drivers. Is this perhaps because of the absurd restrictions against practice now in place?

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2013
    Off-topic:

I love t'Telegraph's Scotland threads.* But this one has made me think....

Come the 'Ridding-of-the-Scots' I believe that the Union-Flag should no longer have the Saltaire as a [rather boring] back-drop: Ergo, I propose that every July a new, rUK, Union-Flag should be issued which - in place of the butchers' apron [1997-2010] - the area fore-lost should be represented by the colours of the English Premiership champions.

A Chelsea win would restore history;
    An Arsenal win would see a reduced red/expanded white motif (and be better than an unlikely Liverpool schemed flag);
    A Manckie-City win would remind us all to wash at 30 degrees-celcius;
    An Aston Villa win would remind us that Russia failed to nuke the West-Midlands during the Cold War; and
    A Newcastle win would make us look like an Italian dukedom....

Just imagine the fun: Team sponsorship would rocket as corporations try to "buy" the next Union-Flag design. Imagine some of the old-stylee Wimbledon and Liverpool kits from the 'Nineties being reintroduced: What fun we could have with "our" flag...

* That Tanya looks like a sassy chick! :wink:
  • Options

DavidL said:

It also requires a (d) - a chance your vote will make a difference. In most constituencies it won't. But for left-leaning voters in LD/Tory marginals it certainly does. It will be interesting to see whether Tory voters in Labour/LD battlegrounds begin to think in the same way. The little evidence there is seems to indicate they won't - maybe the politics of differentiation in the Coalition works against the LDs here.

Very good points SO.

Will Labour supporters see a difference in supporting a Lib Dem after the Coalition? Will we see even less tactical voting?
  • Options
    @NickPalmer - a key difference between the Khmer Rouge and the North Korean regime seems to be a belief in the underlying "ideology". The KR genuinely believed in their cleansing mission; in North Korea it is all about perpetuating the rule of an entrenched elite. Maybe that's what the KR regime may have become if it had had time to develop. And maybe it was once KR-like in North Korea.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited December 2013
    Mr. L, it was better back then.

I would say that Schumacher was more involved, not necessarily just in car development (I have a vague notion he tested the wheels off of everything) but in building the team around himself. He had several unsuccessful seasons with Ferrari prior to the purple patch, but was always a team player (well, with Ferrari, not so much his team mates).

The problems F1 face now are partly not of the sport's own making. Aerodynamics dominate performance, but many tracks (stupidly including the recently designed ones which should've been better crafted) have medium speed or right angle corners, at which passing is practically impossible because the car ahead disrupts airflow, slowing the car behind. Not F1's fault that happens, but if they let unfettered aerodynamic research go on it would probably make the matter worse.

The tyres now are a result of Canada a few years ago when everyone was surprised by how briefly they lasted and we had many pit stops and great excitement. Unfortunately the planks who make such decision failed to consider that if the tyres were predictably short-lived then teams would just work out the optimal strategy (drive at 80% or so instead of 100% with 2 extra pit stops) and the Canadian excitement wouldn't be reproduced.

I don't mind KERS/ERS too much as it's an entirely level playing field. DRS is a gimmick. I also think it's a good thing we'll finally have some variation in engines again. I hope the Renault is a dog.

Edited extra bit: that said, it's worth recalling that 2010 and 2012 were great seasons.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer
    Tactical voting is not an issue in 500+ seats. There the outcome is pretty certain whatever.

Where it does matter is in seats like yours in Broxtowe or mine in Bedford which were won by the Tories in 2010 with very small majorities. Voters in the middle are very powerful and will get an enormous amount of attention.

A LD>LAB switchover in either makes the Tory position even more precarious.

What many on PB don't appreciate is that the general election experience in the marginals is totally different from in the CON & LAB heartlands where you won't see much real campaigning by any partty.
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    edited December 2013
    Disillusioned though I am with politics at the moment I think the one thing that could get me into the polling booth again is the threat of significant UKIP progress. If I thought they could win where I live then I'd certainly stand up and be counted voting against them in whatever way I thought would be most effective.

That's a matter of life and death though. If UKIP were to succeed in their ultimate goal of creating a machine capable of rolling back time to the 1950s then those of us born after that decade will, I assume, simply cease to have ever existed.

(Or maybe I've watched "Doctor Who - Invasion of the Dinosaurs" once too often? ;) )
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    DavidL said:

It was my wife that mentioned it and she seems to be right: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ambulance-turned-natasha-richardson-skiing-accident-mont-tremblant-resort-article-1.368103 She always had a bit of a thing for Schumacher (and Liam Neeson as well actually).

I have never been as enthusiastic about F1 as you clearly are but I was a lot more interested in the Schumacher/Hill era. At the time the clear indication was that Schumacher was far more involved in the development of the car than current drivers. Is this perhaps because of the absurd restrictions against practice now in place?

The reason Hill got the second Williams seat in 1993 was largely down to his experience with developing the Williams active-suspension system on the FW14B and FW15C. Some claim Williams' success in 1996 and 1997 are down to Hill's ability to develop the core car after much of the FW15C's technology was banned before the start of the 1994 season (except, of course, for Benetton).

I've never really rated Schumacher's ability to 'develop' a car; although he reportedly had a great 'feel' for a car, and understood much of the technology enough to give the engineers good feedback.

The current testing limitations are both understandable and intensely frustrating.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

Will Labour supporters see a difference in supporting a Lib Dem after the Coalition? Will we see even less tactical voting?
    The Ashcroft poll, as I write in the header, had 19% of LAB voters ready to switch in the LD-CON battlegrounds. I would expect that proportion to be higher.

• Options

@DavidL - do you believe that all those voting SNP in the 2011 Scottish elections did so for positive reasons? My sense was that many of those votes were anti-Labour ones.

In most parts of Scotland we are moving back to a 2 party system with the SNP and Labour the main players. The Lib Dems have a number of MPs well beyond their current strength and will lose a lot of seats at the next election making this more obvious. The tories are the main opponents to the SNP in some rural areas but very weak ones.

For the reasons Nick describes minor parties get squeezed in FPTP systems and there was undoubtedly a coalescence around the SNP as a credible opposition to a dominant and complacent Labour party. The fact that a significant number of SNP supporters are against independence would be evidence of some tactical voting in their favour because of this but I would find it difficult to assess the extent of it.

It seems to me that FPTP as a voting system will inevitably push a two party structure. It is possible for those parties to be different in different parts of the country but eventually people will think they have a binary choice they can comprehend. The SDP/Liberal Alliance never quite made that breakthrough and suffered. Unless and until UKIP do the liklihood of tactical voting on a large scale seems slight to me. Maybe Scotland is further down that path.

• Options
    In England at least as have two tactical voting unknowns:

1. Anti-Tories who traditionally voted LibDem in seats where Labour are nowhere - what will they now do that a LibDem vote is a Tory vote? There is a log of anger out there so I can't see apathy capturing too many. So it's good news for independents and therefore the incumbent Tory.

Unless of course Farrage continues his canny appeal across the spectrum. As long as he maintains his principled opposition to Cameron I can see UKIP sucking up a lot of support in Tory/LibDem marginals. Yes their politics isn't an obvious fit for those voters but as a protest vote against the Tories it could be extremely powerful.

2. Government supporters trying to keep Labour out. I'm sure a bit if the Tory-UKIP switching vote is soft but like several posters on here I believe much of the switch is permanent at least with Cameron as Tory leader. Bit what about the other way, Tories going UKIP in Labour seats to try and block out the Labour candidate?

I remain convinced that UKIP are the elephant in the room that PB Tories and most pollsters don't want to address. We shall see.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

It's something that for the first time in my voting life I am having to think about as I now live in a marginal constituency, instead of the safe Labour or Tory seats I have been in previously. My default position is that I don't want a Tory government. That means I should vote Labour here; but that leaves me totally unenthused because despite the fact I like some of his ideas I don't rate EdM, don't see a party with a clear 21st century vision and because I worry about the clunky, unreformed left. An LD vote will be wasted, in addition to which I thoroughly dislike the Liberal part of the party as exemplified by David Laws. The Greens, UKIP etc are off the table. But I have to vote. Whatever I do will be largely negative.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,028
    Couple of points, one current, one fFPT.
    There is a website www.tactical-voter.org.uk/‎ but it seems to be defunct. I used it when a LibDem voter living in a Lab/Con marginal, and as a LibDem supporter (if not by then a member) I've certainly voted Labour to "keep the Tory out". It wasn't much of an issue really because the Tory was nearly as daft as they come, and although to my delight he lost, he subsequently regained the seat, then defected to UKIP
    FPT I agree with Nick (where have I heard that before) re the Khmer Rouge. It did seem, IIRC correctly that, as I posted on the previous thread, they were viewed "officially" as both a stabilising factor in an extremely unstable area, and also as some sort of bulwark against the Chinese. British troops were actually involved in training some of theirs at one point. Occasional Cambodians still grumble about it. It was only after a couple of years that, as NP says, it was generally realised that they were murderous nutters.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, if we had a write-in option you could vote Morris Dancer.

[Strange but true: I received a write-in vote for a Californian governor election. In the end I was defeated by Arnold Schwarznegger].
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

The Ashcroft poll, as I write in the header, had 19% of LAB voters ready to switch in the LD-CON battlegrounds. I would expect that proportion to be higher.

I agree. The anti-Tory party is large and highly-motivated. The anti-Labour party outside Scotland has not really found its feet yet, though it clearly exists.

• Options
    In 2015 the untactical vote will be at least as much of the story as the tactical vote. Will previous tactical Lib Dem voters decide that they won't get fooled again and decide instead to vote for the party of their heart? Will UKIPpers decide that LibLabCons really are all the same and vote for the party of their heart? Both groups will be coming under a lot of pressure to see just how firm they are in those beliefs.

In 2010 I cast an anti-tactical vote. I live in a Lib Dem/Labour marginal (well, it won't be in 2015, but it was in 2010). Rather than vote for either, I voted for the Greens. A wasted vote? Only if you think that the only objective in voting is to get your preferred candidate elected.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

In 2015 the untactical vote will be at least as much of the story as the tactical vote. Will previous tactical Lib Dem voters decide that they won't get fooled again and decide instead to vote for the party of their heart? Will UKIPpers decide that LibLabCons really are all the same and vote for the party of their heart? Both groups will be coming under a lot of pressure to see just how firm they are in those beliefs.

In 2010 I cast an anti-tactical vote. I live in a Lib Dem/Labour marginal (well, it won't be in 2015, but it was in 2010). Rather than vote for either, I voted for the Greens. A wasted vote? Only if you think that the only objective in voting is to get your preferred candidate elected.

Why not Tory?

• Options
    DavidL said:

I agree Gove is doing an excellent job, the fact he is taking on the loony teaching unions who have systematically wrecked what was a perfectly sound education system is brilliant. His reforms are the closest to the return of grammars that I could wish for, but it's still grammar school lite as far as I am concerned.

Josias I agree we need to give every child the best education possible, why would the return of grammar schools prevent that? I live in Bucks where we still have grammars and believe me the kids who do not pass the eleven plus still get a very good education, I know from experience as my eldest granddaughter did not pass but still did much better than we expected her to.
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver Given that I was voting for a candidate that I knew would not win, I wanted to register the importance of the environment for this voter.

I strongly dislike the Tory traditional right's view of society and I regard the EU as in general a good thing that we should remain a constructive part of. These are dealbreakers for me.

I liked David Cameron - I still do, as it happens: he's lazy, which is generally a good thing in a politician since it stops them doing too much. But the unjustified sense of entitlement and superiority that all politicians radiate comes across particularly badly in many Conservatives, and I don't see why my vote should encourage them.

At the next election, if I were choosing on the leaders I'd choose Ed Miliband because he learns from his mistakes. But like you I worry about the unreconstructed left of Labour and it has repeatedly shown that it does not wish to make the tough choices that need to be made.

Nick Clegg is by far the weakest of the three party leaders (full disclosure, I've never liked his public persona, which has the air of a bishop who has recently retired following a slightly murky scandal, and the rest of the public has caught up with me on this). But I think the Lib Dems have done a good job in Government, by and large, and at present I expect I'll vote for them in 2015.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The strong polling evidence is the reverse. The September Ashcroft polling found more than twice as many LD>LAB switchers (35% to 17%) in the CON-LAB battlegrounds than in the GB as a whole.

There's also evidence that these switchers are more motivated to vote and have more positive views of the TwoEds than LAB voters generally.

I'm writing a post on this which I had hoped to finish this morning.

• Options
    Sometimes the only thing to do is larf'. Case-in-point: Pretentious lawyer who lauds his property in Hungary accusing the Tories of being "socially conservative". British-comedy; hey....
  • Options
    @FluffyThoughts You'll be delighted to know that I actually wrote that post from my property in Hungary.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

@NickPalmer
    Tactical voting is not an issue in 500+ seats. There the outcome is pretty certain whatever.

Where it does matter is in seats like yours in Broxtowe or mine in Bedford which were won by the Tories in 2010 with very small majorities. Voters in the middle are very powerful and will get an enormous amount of attention.

What many on PB don't appreciate is that the general election experience in the marginals is totally different from in the CON & LAB heartlands where you won't see much real campaigning by any partty.

Yes, that's right. It's also air war vs ground war. In Broxtowe, my campaign doesn't have much money and the Tories don't have many canvassers, so both sides are deploying accordingly - we do up to 5 canvass sessions a week, they do multi-page glossy leaflets posted to people's homes. I'm not sure there is any solid evidence of what works best. Unlike the usual "find out what they vote and move on" rule for canvassing, we are giving LibDem voters absolutely all the time they would like to discuss the position. The LibDems don't have a candidate at all yet, nor does UKIP, though both will I think choose in Q2.

• Options
    Don't misunderestimate the Lib Dems

The Liberal Democrats claimed yesterday to be the first governing party in recent history to have increased its membership while in power.

Figures released by the party showed that in the last three months of the year membership grew by more than 2,000 – wiping out reductions seen in the first two quarters of 2013. Overall the party will go into 2014 with over 200 new members – which is an achievement not matched by their Conservative coalition partners who have seen steep falls in paid membership since 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/support-for-liberal-democrats-increased-this-year-9029518.html
  • Options
    On topic in 2015 I'm considering tactically vote for the first time in my life.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

@NickPalmer

Yes, that's right. It's also air war vs ground war. In Broxtowe, my campaign doesn't have much money and the Tories don't have many canvassers, so both sides are deploying accordingly - we do up to 5 canvass sessions a week, they do multi-page glossy leaflets posted to people's homes. I'm not sure there is any solid evidence of what works best. Unlike the usual "find out what they vote and move on" rule for canvassing, we are giving LibDem voters absolutely all the time they would like to discuss the position. The LibDems don't have a candidate at all yet, nor does UKIP, though both will I think choose in Q2.

Are there noticable differences between campaigning now and 2008/9? From polls you should be having a much easier time of it. Whilst you probably can't or won't say that, it would be interesting to know if or how things are different.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Tactical vote to keep Labour out and the green anti car, fence sitting LD in? Only one bullet, which one to shoot?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Must be "interesting" living in the Broxtowe sort of marginal. Tories are expected to win here; around 50% of the vote last time, and they don't even bother to canvass in the locals. In the county elections last year we had, IIRC, two leaflets from UKIP and that was it.

The only "political" activity I've come across recently was an invitation to join the Con Club, as "the beer is cheaper there". The next sentence was "Have you ever heard anyone discuss politics there Fred?" To which Fred shook his head!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

@NickPalmer

Glossy leaflets won't tell the Tories where their supporters are and will be of only limited value as a motivational tool to get them out to vote on the day. The Tories lack of activists, and the high level of disllusionment with Cameron amongst those they do have, will hinder their re-election efforts IMO.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Press conf on Schumacher on Sky now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    I am in a genuinely 3-way marginal where my vote really will matter, at least based on the 2010 result. Glenda Jackson won this last time with only 42 votes to spare, with the Tories second. There are 3 new candidates for the 3 main parties and they all seem interesting.

The Tories have been campaigning hard in my ward recently - I was recently canvassed by a rather handsome and polite young man, so gave him more of my time than I might otherwise have been inclined to.

I do not want Labour back in; I don't think they deserve to be in power again so soon and while I have a grudging respect for Ed Milliband I think that we will only have a left of centre/social democratic party worth voting for once the cohorts of Blair and Brown have shuffled off the stage.

So I will be watching keenly to see who is most likely to beat Labour here, though given the way the polls are at present it may well be that Labour take the seat handsomely.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I am in a genuinely 3-way marginal where my vote really will matter, at least based on the 2010 result. Glenda Jackson won this last time with only 42 votes to spare, with the Tories second. There are 3 new candidates for the 3 main parties and they all seem interesting.

The Tories have been campaigning hard in my ward recently - I was recently canvassed by a rather handsome and polite young man, so gave him more of my time than I might otherwise have been inclined to.

I do not want Labour back in; I don't think they deserve to be in power again so soon and while I have a grudging respect for Ed Milliband I think that we will only have a left of centre/social democratic party worth voting for once the cohorts of Blair and Brown have shuffled off the stage.

So I will be watching keenly to see who is most likely to beat Labour here, though given the way the polls are at present it may well be that Labour take the seat handsomely.

They will. You can expect an LD collapse of epic proportions.

• Options
    Carola said:

Press conf on Schumacher on Sky now.

Don't know why they don't just end the conf rather than spend an extra ten minutes saying 'We can't tell you any more.'
  • Options

I agree Gove is doing an excellent job, the fact he is taking on the loony teaching unions who have systematically wrecked what was a perfectly sound education system is brilliant. His reforms are the closest to the return of grammars that I could wish for, but it's still grammar school lite as far as I am concerned.

Are you sure it was the loony teaching unions and not previous governments who wrecked education? Without knowing precisely what broke, it is hard to assign blame. Most grammar schools, for instance, were abolished by Mr Heath's Conservative government, not by the teaching unions.

Come to think of it, was the education system ever perfectly sound? There are certainly anecdotal reports of low literacy levels amongst conscripts to the armed forces in the 1940s and 50s.

In any case, what exactly is Gove doing to remedy the situation? He seems to have presided over a shortage of school places but let's leave that to one side. Free schools seem more a sign of despair than a solution -- HMG has no idea how to improve schools but if we let the world and his wife have a go, maybe something will turn up. Because surely if Gove did know what was the Free School secret sauce, he'd immediately roll it out across the country, would he not?
  • Options
    BBC imply Schumacher is fighting for life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25548140

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    I won't have to do it where I live but I would vote tactically to keep out a UKIP candidate. I've always been wary of them, but the thoughts of their as expressed on here genuinely concern me. They are for nothing and against everything. You can smell the fear of progress from them.
  • Options
    Link to BBC coverage of news conference on Schumacher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25547624
  • Options

Are you sure it was the loony teaching unions and not previous governments who wrecked education? Without knowing precisely what broke, it is hard to assign blame. Most grammar schools, for instance, were abolished by Mr Heath's Conservative government, not by the teaching unions.

In any case, what exactly is Gove doing to remedy the situation? He seems to have presided over a shortage of school places but let's leave that to one side. Free schools seem more a sign of despair than a solution -- HMG has no idea how to improve schools but if we let the world and his wife have a go, maybe something will turn up. Because surely if Gove did know what was the Free School secret sauce, he'd immediately roll it out across the country, would he not?
    Come to think of it, was the education system ever perfectly sound? There are certainly anecdotal reports of low literacy levels amongst conscripts to the armed forces in the 1940s and 50s.

Read Derek Jameson's life story, re his time in National Service.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,864

Re National Servicemens' illiteracy in the 1940s and 1950s - surely much of this cohort had its education disrupted by WW2 (bombing, teacher conscription, evacuation). But that may not be the whole explanation.

• Options
    DavidL said:

In most parts of Scotland we are moving back to a 2 party system with the SNP and Labour the main players. The Lib Dems have a number of MPs well beyond their current strength and will lose a lot of seats at the next election making this more obvious. The tories are the main opponents to the SNP in some rural areas but very weak ones.

For the reasons Nick describes minor parties get squeezed in FPTP systems and there was undoubtedly a coalescence around the SNP as a credible opposition to a dominant and complacent Labour party. The fact that a significant number of SNP supporters are against independence would be evidence of some tactical voting in their favour because of this but I would find it difficult to assess the extent of it.

It seems to me that FPTP as a voting system will inevitably push a two party structure. It is possible for those parties to be different in different parts of the country but eventually people will think they have a binary choice they can comprehend. The SDP/Liberal Alliance never quite made that breakthrough and suffered. Unless and until UKIP do the liklihood of tactical voting on a large scale seems slight to me. Maybe Scotland is further down that path.

Scotland is several decades down that path. We have had 4-party politics since the late 1960s.

But as you say, we are nearly back to 2-party politics in most parts of the country: Labour vs SNP.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Cyclefree said:

They will. You can expect an LD collapse of epic proportions.

I think that a shame. While I don't like Nick Clegg particularly I thought the Lib Dems did a brave and honourable thing in helping form a stable government. It has made me rather more inclined to vote for them than previously.

• Options
    @OKC - Was the education msystem ever perfectly sound?

Er...no. People naturally look back to the carefree days of their youth and imagine that everything must have been better but this is merely whimsical nostalgia. The education system might not be perfect but it is far better now than it has been at any time in the past. I have no doubt that my kids received a much higher standard of education in the state system in the 1990s-2000s than the one I received in the 1960s and 1970s.

• Options

DavidL said:

Scotland is several decades down that path. We have had 4-party politics since the late 1960s.

But as you say, we are nearly back to 2-party politics in most parts of the country: Labour vs SNP.
    Not sure that's true for Westminster. How many seats are genuinely contestable by only SNP *and* Labour? It's surely substantially outweighed by those where either only one party has a chance, or where either the Lib Dems or Tories also have a shout.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Morning all :)

Fair to say that my vote in East Ham will be irrelevant - Stephen Timms got 70% in 2010 and it's hard to see him doing any worse to be onest.

The 2014 London local elections will be hugely significant as a pointer for how the key battleground is looking. Labour had a very good year in 2010 but will need to do better to be on course to pick up seats in 2015. There are any number of key Boroughs - Sutton, Kingston and Richmond for obvious reasons likewise Barnet, Enfield, Harrow, Merton and Croydon to name just a few.

On a complete tangent, isn't it now time to scrap all public holidays and allow people to work as an dwhen they want (with safeguards for those who don't wish to and without compromising anyone's paid holiday entitlement). I was listening on LBC to a discussion regarding running Tubes on Christmas Day which happened until the 1970s - strong support for a restoration of that service.
  • Options
    Rather than go over the grammar school = social mobility/golden age of literacy stuff (again) I'd just check out ex-FT Chris Cook's stuff. It's based on evidence.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to roll a dice to decide my vote in 2015 I think.

Current weightings are 1/2th Conservative, 1/3rd Lib Dem, 1/6th UKIP.

I'll be hoping for a narrow Labour victory on the night.

My seat (Engel) is nailed on Labour.
  • Options
    Our schools have always been rubbish (it was cited as a reason for Britain's relative decline against the USA and Germany at the end of the 19th century). They will remain so while so many involved in education are so complacent about current poor standards.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Don't misunderestimate the Lib Dems

The Liberal Democrats claimed yesterday to be the first governing party in recent history to have increased its membership while in power.

Figures released by the party showed that in the last three months of the year membership grew by more than 2,000 – wiping out reductions seen in the first two quarters of 2013. Overall the party will go into 2014 with over 200 new members – which is an achievement not matched by their Conservative coalition partners who have seen steep falls in paid membership since 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/support-for-liberal-democrats-increased-this-year-9029518.html

An increase of 200 members between December 2012, and December 2013 should be set against the ~23,000 fall between December 2010 and December 2012.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/12/how-lib-dems-tried-hide-fall-their-membership
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

I have voted tactically Labour or Lib Dem depending on the circumstances all my life. I was one of those that said never again after the Coalition was formed but I have gradually retreated from that position and would again vote Lib Dem if I was in a Lib Dem/ Tory marginal. I therefore think you are correct that an increasing number of Labour sympathisers will vote tactically in those circumstances. In seat terms that won't harm Labour provided the large proportion of 2010 Lib Dems stick to switching to Labour in the Lab/Con marginals.
  • Options

Basically I agree.

But I will vote first and foremost for the person locally I think will be the best representative for my constituency. Of course party affiliation will play a big part of that so it is most likely my vote will go to the UKIP candidate but that is by no means certain. Were I in Birkenhead it is 99% certain I would vote for Frank Field. Were I in Haltemprice then it is 99% certain my vote would go to David Davis.

But this idea that as UKIP supporters we should vote Tory to keep out Labour is laughable. On the issues that matter to me personally there is not that much difference between the two and when it comes to the 'vision' of each party I am afraid they both leave me cold. Two organisations whose sole aim is to get elected and stay elected and who will promise anything to achieve that in the certain knowledge they will be able to ditch all their promises once they are in power.

Both parties (and of course the Lib Dems in spades) are utterly bereft of principles and undeserving of support under their current leaderships.
  • Options

"a party that doesn't believe in giving bright working class kids a chance"

I presume this means a return to grammar schools. In which case, what happens to the less-bright working class kids?

I see a great deal of concentration on the 'grammar schools', and very little on the perhaps more important aspect: the kids who really need help.

An education system has to help everyone.
    Whereas the current system helps no one.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I vote Lib Dem as a tactical vote to stop the Tories. If it were a PR election system, I would probably vote Labour. But in truth Labour are the least worse option and no party really represents my politics. I am closer to SDP/Shirley Williams. Pragmatic left of centre.

I cannot see the Tories win a majority in an election, until they become a one nation party again.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I vote Lib Dem as a tactical vote to stop the Tories. If it were a PR election system, I would probably vote Labour. But in truth Labour are the least worse option and no party really represents my politics. I am closer to SDP/Shirley Williams. Pragmatic left of centre.

I cannot see the Tories win a majority in an election, until they become a one nation party again.

One nation under God, One nation under Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I vote Lib Dem as a tactical vote to stop the Tories.

That worked out well.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,224
    edited December 2013

FPT I agree with Nick (where have I heard that before) re the Khmer Rouge. It did seem, IIRC correctly that, as I posted on the previous thread, they were viewed "officially" as both a stabilising factor in an extremely unstable area, and also as some sort of bulwark against the Chinese. British troops were actually involved in training some of theirs at one point. Occasional Cambodians still grumble about it. It was only after a couple of years that, as NP says, it was generally realised that they were murderous nutters.

More than a couple of years, and Western governments' attitudes were ambivalent for a long time after the KR were kicked out.

'The Cambodian training became an exclusively British operation after the “Irangate” arms-for-hostages scandal broke in Washington in 1986. “If Congress had found out that Americans were mixed up in clandestine training in Indo-China, let alone with Pol Pot,” a Ministry of Defence source told O’Dwyer-Russell, “the balloon would have gone right up. It was one of those classic Thatcher-Reagan arrangements.” Moreover, Margaret Thatcher had let slip, to the consternation of the Foreign Office, that “the more reasonable ones in the Khmer Rouge will have to play some part in a future government”.'

http://tinyurl.com/cjma4cw

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

While I don't doubt the findings are technically accurate, they do run completely contrary to any kind of reasoning.

Why would Labour voters be likely to switch to the Lib Dems now in Con/LD marginals when:

- They backed Labour when that party was much more unpopular than it is now?
    - The Lib Dems, by contrast, are far less popular nationally?
    - The Lib Dems have deeply undermined their 'vote Yellow to stop Blue' by going into coalition with Blue.
    - Most Con/LD marginals in 2015 were also that in 2010, so tactical considerations are the same now as they were then?

The arguments for tactical voting are all very well but the question is not whether tactical voting will take place or not, but whether more or less will do so than last time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Josias I agree we need to give every child the best education possible, why would the return of grammar schools prevent that? I live in Bucks where we still have grammars and believe me the kids who do not pass the eleven plus still get a very good education, I know from experience as my eldest granddaughter did not pass but still did much better than we expected her to.
    Indeed the most comprehensive report into the effects of selective education in recent years showed that the presence of Grammar schools in an area had no adverse effect on the results from the local comprehensives compared to those areas without grammars.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

While I don't doubt the findings are technically accurate, they do run completely contrary to any kind of reasoning.

Why would Labour voters be likely to switch to the Lib Dems now in Con/LD marginals when:

- The Lib Dems have deeply undermined their 'vote Yellow to stop Blue' by going into coalition with Blue.
    - Most Con/LD marginals in 2015 were also that in 2010, so tactical considerations are the same now as they were then?

The arguments for tactical voting are all very well but the question is not whether tactical voting will take place or not, but whether more or less will do so than last time.

hucks67 said:

I vote Lib Dem as a tactical vote to stop the Tories.

That worked out well.
    Depends on his seat as to whether it was the correct vote or not. Last GE I could have cast a tactical vote for the Lib Dems (Sheffield Central) but chose not to ;)
  • Options
    Berwick upon Tweed looks like a difficult seat to decide how to vote tactically - Here the best tactical vote is probably to go with your conscience.
  • Options
    If the attitudes expressed on this thread are representative then the election outcome is clear. UKIP supporters are generally unwilling to vote tactically because they do not see the Tories as significantly different from Labour. Labour and LD supporters, on the other hand, are likely to vote tactically because there remains a shared desire to see the back of the Tories. So the Ashcroft polls are right and the Tories are headed for what could be a humiliating defeat.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

DavidL said:

Indeed the most comprehensive report into the effects of selective education in recent years showed that the presence of Grammar schools in an area had no adverse effect on the results from the local comprehensives compared to those areas without grammars.
    I have been a long time grammar school fan, but the data posted from the financial times here was genuinely shocking. Free school meals children did significantly worse in grammar school areas than in secondary modern ones.

• Options
    Can't imagine voting tactically myself... I'm sure many labour voters who were minded to vote lib dem will be put off by the current coalition, and that Clegg used "most votes" as a reason for talking to the conservatives first in 2010.

Imagine a lefty voting LD to keep outa Tory in a marginal, failing, and Conservatives edging the national vote share.. Leading to the current coalition continuing... Not so clever now
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

Methinks they run contrary to your hopes and dreams.

The world has moved on and David Cameron will reinforce the Lib Dem appeal to LAB voters by telling us all of what is in his black book - the policies that the yellows have stopped the blues from doing while in government.

• Options

@OKC - Was the education msystem ever perfectly sound?

Er...no. People naturally look back to the carefree days of their youth and imagine that everything must have been better but this is merely whimsical nostalgia. The education system might not be perfect but it is far better now than it has been at any time in the past. I have no doubt that my kids received a much higher standard of education in the state system in the 1990s-2000s than the one I received in the 1960s and 1970s.

I have no doubt that they do not. Both teaching standards and discipline in schools are now far worse than they were when I was at school in the 1970s and it is clear from universities that the abilities in both maths and English are now well below what they were in the past.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

The recent Brown-Survation polls had the LDs falling from 2nd to 4th in 'Folkestone and Hythe', and, 'Bognor Regis and Littlehampton'.

http://survation.com/2013/12/alan-bown-polls-4-new-constituencies/
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

Are we talking about people who say they voted Lab in 2010 or are we talking about people who identified with Lab at the time when Ashcroft polled them, but then offered to switch in his constituency squeeze question?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Very good points SO.

Methinks they run contrary to your hopes and dreams.

The world has moved on and David Cameron will reinforce the Lib Dem appeal to LAB voters by telling us all of what is in his black book - the policies that the yellows have stopped the blues from doing while in government.

You really think that Labour-inclined voters are *more* likely to tactically support the Lib Dems now than they were in 2010?

Since I made that earlier post, I've been triyng to square the circle between the poll results and the logic. I do wonder whether these mythical new tactical voters exist at all. We know from the guest article the other week that it seems that significant numbers of people are now misremembering how they voted in 2010 (this is not new - in fact it's a common feature of governments that lose popularity). Could it be that although they say they voted Labour in 2010, in fact they actually backed the Lib Dems, have now written that out of their mind but could be persuaded to back them again if they thought that there wouldn't be another Blue-Yellow coalition.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    @edmundintokyo & @david_herdson

The Ashcroft mariginals polling asks a two stage question. The standard one and then a "your own constituency" one. My figures are based on the proportion of the former who said LAB who then switch to LD for the 2nd question.

Their move is the reason why the LDs appeared to be doing well in the key LD-CON battles.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Free school meals children did significantly worse in grammar school areas than in secondary modern ones.''

Even though I am thatcherite tory I find it pretty repugnant that any 11-year old should be given a test and branded with a 'secondary modern' stamp on the basis of the results.

Have streaming by all means, in fact why not make it compulsory. But send everybody to the same school. I reckon you learn a great deal about the problems of the low paid or non-working classes by being educated in the same school as them.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The recent Brown-Survation polls had the LDs falling from 2nd to 4th in 'Folkestone and Hythe', and, 'Bognor Regis and Littlehampton'.

http://survation.com/2013/12/alan-bown-polls-4-new-constituencies/
    The Survation poll in Bognor Regis/Littlehampton had a sample with Labour in 2nd place in 2010 rather than the Lib Dems . The Folkestone sample had the Lib Dems at 21% in 2010 rather than the 30% in 2010 they actually had , Both polls managed to find people who say they voted Labour and Conservative in 2010 who would vote Lib Dem in 2015 .
  • Options
    As a very deep cover Soviet spy, who came to England in 1956 aged 10, I shall vote Labour.
    This tactic will work towards putting a government in power which will wreck the UK from end to end and complete the brilliant work of Gordon Brown. The US will have to find another aircraft carrier near Europe and the imbecile British people will get their just deserts for being politically retarded.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I have been a long time grammar school fan, but the data posted from the financial times here was genuinely shocking. Free school meals children did significantly worse in grammar school areas than in secondary modern ones.

Chris Cook can in no way be considered to be an unbiased commentator on the subject and is a long term opponent of Grammar schools.

Interestingly the same Sutton Trust study which identified the low number of Free School Meal children at Grammar schools also found that those areas with Grammar schools see no drop in results for the comprehensives in their areas compared to areas without Grammar schools.

In short the presence of Grammar schools has no adverse effect on the eventual results of those children not passing the 11 plus and since those who do pass end up with a slightly better result at GCSE and A Levels the overall effect for an area is to slightly improve results.

Of course opponents like Chris Cook are only interested in highlighting the lack of FSM children at Grammars whilst ignoring the fact that there is no adverse effect on non-Grammar children.
  • Options
    ''Both teaching standards and discipline in schools are now far worse than they were when I was at school in the 1970s''

Are you advocating the return of corporal punishment? I remember seeing many a jack the lad getting smacked around by the larger teachers at school in the 70s.

• Options
    Have to say the comments by ukip voters slagging off Farage for his comments about Syrian refugees aren't good... Shame so many people confuse immigration with mass immigration, and refugees with economic migrants
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013

@edmundintokyo & @david_herdson

The Ashcroft mariginals polling asks a two stage question. The standard one and then a "your own constituency" one. My figures are based on the proportion of the former who said LAB who then switch to LD for the 2nd question.

Their move is the reason why the LDs appeared to be doing well in the key LD-CON battles.

OK, so the solution to @david_herdson's conundrum could be that the people in question did actually vote LibDem in 2010 (whether tactically or as first preference), support Lab now when asked about the national picture, but plan to vote LibDem again in 2015, this time tactically.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    isam said:

Have to say the comments by ukip voters slagging off Farage for his comments about Syrian refugees aren't good... Shame so many people confuse immigration with mass immigration, and refugees with economic migrants

Large chunks of UKIP support do a very good impression of BNP lite. Sadly they drag down the more thoughtful of their membership. It's the primary reason I would tactically vote against them.
  • Options
    Have to say the comments by ukip voters slagging off Farage for his comments about Syrian refugees aren't good...

Doesn't that suggest to you that a sizeable chunk of UKIP's support will never be satisfied with any measures on immigration or immigrants, no matter how restrictive?

• Options

@NickPalmer - a key difference between the Khmer Rouge and the North Korean regime seems to be a belief in the underlying "ideology". The KR genuinely believed in their cleansing mission; in North Korea it is all about perpetuating the rule of an entrenched elite. Maybe that's what the KR regime may have become if it had had time to develop. And maybe it was once KR-like in North Korea.

I don't think the DPRK started off as "Khmer-Rouge-like". It started as a fairly normal Soviet satellite state, with moderate Stalinism, and heavy subsidies from the USSR. It was not so long ago that the GDP per capita of North K was about the same as that of South K, but then bang went the USSR (and its subsidies) and boom went the SK economy. The DPRK responded by developing and accentuating the distinctive Juche ideology, and becoming more idiosyncratic and specific to Korean culture, increasingly since the 1970s.

As some PBers may know, I have in the past been acquainted with a few people who are fans of the DPRK and of the Juche/Songun system, but I have never heard any of them express a single word of support for the tyranny of the Pol Pot régime.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Both teaching standards and discipline in schools are now far worse than they were when I was at school in the 1970s''

Are you advocating the return of corporal punishment? I remember seeing many a jack the lad getting smacked around by the larger teachers at school in the 70s.

We didn't have corporal punishment at my schools.

Having done a fair bit of work in schools over the years I am stunned to see kids playing on their mobiles, openly chatting with each other and sitting with their backs to the teachers whilst lessons are being 'taught'. Swearing at the teachers and talking over them/answering back is now endemic.

I have seen this in more than a dozen schools I have visited in the East Midlands over the last 5 years. There have been one or two honourable exceptions (notably a couple of Grammar schools and one very good Academy) but generally what I have seen is a complete lack of discipline and no effort or ability on the part of the teacher to do anything other than get through the lesson and get the children out.
  • Options
    isam said:

Agree entirely. Not a great fan of Farage as a leader but in this case he is spot on.
  • Options

Because their desire to "get rid of the Tories" is more intense than it was last time, to the extent that any reduction in the number of Conservative MPs would be a "good" thing, even if it means getting a Lib Dem MP instead of a Labour MP. The gamble for such tactical voters would be that if Labour is the largest single party, then the Lib Dems can be relied on to be treacherous scoundrels who will happily change sides and jump into bed with Miliband just because Labour has more seats than the Conservatives.

• Options
    taffys said:

Have to say the comments by ukip voters slagging off Farage for his comments about Syrian refugees aren't good...

Doesn't that suggest to you that a sizeable chunk of UKIP's support will never be satisfied with any measures on immigration or immigrants, no matter how restrictive?

Well there are definitely some, I guess it's down to how sizeable the chunk is...

It's the same on both sides though, there are many pro EU immigration posters on here who paint UKIPs position on immigration as being much more severe than it is, as if having a visa system would mean zero immigration
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Bognor Regis/Littlehampton is the constituency next door to mine and I know it quite well . The Bown poll suggests that the Lib Dems came 3rd in 2010 when in reality they came 2nd . It also suggests they are in 4th place now polling 7% in the more Conservative parts of Pagham , Felpham and Middleton and marginally higher in Bognor and Littlehampton towns . The reality in May was that the Lib Dems won both Littlehampton CC seats , one of the Bognor seats and came a close 3rd in the 2nd Bognor CC seat which is combined with much more Conservative Aldwick . They polled 34% or so of the vote rather than the 8% indicated by Survation .
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,864
    I would vote tactically for the Conservatives, if I were still living in Luton South in 2015.

If I were living in a safe Conservative or Labour seat, or in a seat that UKIP might win, like Thanet South or Eastleigh, I'd vote UKIP.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,864
    taffys said:

I think a teacher should be entitled to use the same degree of physical punishment as a parent.

• Options
    I'm with the hardline UKIPpers on the subject of Syria (and I'm generally pro-immigration). There are 9 million displaced Syrians. Accepting a few refugees - or even tens of thousands of refugees - is not going to make any meaningful difference. It's gesture politics at its worst.

The British government has got this right - we should be giving generous aid to help the people on the ground. And we are.
  • Options
    I rather went off Tactical Voting in 1995, when I was a student at Royal Holloway and I was voting in the Runnymede Borough Council election. The previous election result in the ward was something like Con 600, Lib Dem 500, and no Labour candidate. The candidates were Con, Lib Dem and Labour. At the time (being a naive student) I was still centre-left, and I would have preferred to vote Labour. But I decided to vote tactically for the Lib Dem in order to defeat the Conservative.

But the result was (IIRC) Con 511, Lab 272, LD 267. So the tactical voting went the wrong way.

Since then I don't think I've done anything which would normally count as "tactical" voting, except perhaps in the Greater London Assembly election in 2000, where I decided not to vote for Peter Tatchell (who was then standing as an independent in the list section, and who might have been a good GLA member) on the grounds that he did not have a realistic chance of reaching the 5% threshold.
This discussion has been closed.