Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 2014 prediction time: Will it be another year when the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 2014 prediction time: Will it be another year when the Tories fail to secure a lead?

7-8 polls 5-6 polls 3-4 polls 1-2 polls NONE     

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I'm hoping for a couple.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Tory lead by May...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    1 or 2. Will be at the back end of the year.

Whoever has voted 11-12, can you make sure you are a fully signed and paid up Betfair customer ?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Tory lead by May...

Is that consistent leads?

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Tory lead by May...

No, not expecting that until January 2015...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    RodCrosby said:

Tory lead by May...

UKIP should be polling at their highest in the lead-up to / aftermath of the Euro elections which makes a Tory lead by then a tougher ask.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Tory lead by May...

No, not expecting that until January 2015...
    Thanks.

• Options
    In other news, France is now set for the 75% top rate of income tax:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25541739
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whoever has voted 11-12, can you make sure you are a fully signed and paid up Betfair customer ?

My guess is that is down to the dregs of the Chrisrmas port

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    One of the many blessings of the festive season is that we have not been deluged with daily polls. So when we get the first polls of the new year there is at least the potential for greater movement than we have seen on a daily basis. It is also a time when the public have been paying even less attention to politics than usual which usually does the government some good.

But I think it will be the middle of the year before the tories get a lead and even then it will probably be short lived albeit I expect the polling to remain closer thereafter than it has been for much of 2013. Hopefully by the end of 2014 we will start to see more consistent tory leads.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Pulpstar said:

My guess is that it's down to "Ave-it" who's drunk the dregs of the Christmas port too

• Options
    Thanks to those who dragged themselves away from their Christmas port and had a stab at the quiz on the previous thread.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    I guessed at 1-2: I expect Labour to maintain a consistent lead but MOE should secure the odd startling result in both directions. After all, 2013 did see a tie in one ICM.

I'll be surprised if polls have moved much when the entertainment resumes in January. People have as David observes been paying no attention at all. I was asked by one zealot to canvass on Dec 21/22, and refused not through laziness but because voters would think we were nuts.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

My guess is that it's down to "Ave-it" who's drunk the dregs of the Christmas port too

jack - what do you think of the UKIP situation back in Scotland? Sounds a bit rum to me

• Options
    Mrs "Ave-it" has joined her husband and also opted for 11-12.
  • Options
    My polling prediction for 2014, is that we'll see some major divergence between the pollsters.

If you were to ask me which pollster may be the first to show a Tory lead, I'd go for Ipsos-Mori because of their turnout filter.

I think the first major polling event could be Ed trailing Nick in the Mori leader ratings.

That might set the cat amongst the pigeons.
  • Options
    Scrapheap going for 7-8 maybe :) ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    antifrank said:

Good news for UK income tax receipts.

Good news for home owners in Primrose Hill.

Bad news for people who are not invested in high-end London property.
  • Options
    The changes between March 2012 and Dec 2013 with ICM

Con minus 7

Lab plus 1

LD minus 3

UKIP plus 8
  • Options

I'll be surprised if polls have moved much when the entertainment resumes in January. People have as David observes been paying no attention at all.

There are a lot of voters who have spent Christmas sans electricity, and whilst coping with adversity can boost the government (eg Gordon Brown's storms boost) in this case things may have dragged on too long.

A Kinnock-led Opposition might have drawn unfavourable comparisons between now and the efficiency of the 1987 hurricane clean-up by the then CEGB but now we are all en thrall to the markets so the private power companies must surely be doing an excellent job in adverse circumstances. The Christmas lights still twinkle in Notting Hill as they do in Primrose Hill and Chipping Norton.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

jack - what do you think of the UKIP situation back in Scotland? Sounds a bit rum to me

I think some high up personage had a finger high up their botty when they decided to change the Scottish leadership.

A period of calm and noblesse oblige was required and not digitalus du posterior en Ecosse

• Options
    I voted 3-4. This is being a bit cowardly, actually.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What - how many we'll let in today?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited December 2013

Pulpstar said:

What - how many we'll let in today?
    Fret not, I've backed Stoke
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I opted for 3-4. I think we may get one before the Euro elections and then pretty much level pegging. Once Scotland says YES in September I expect the Tory lead to be constant in English polls (as they effectively will be by then).
  • Options
    Also backed Stoke to concede 3 or more goals today. 9/4 with William Hill.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    2 new full backs - we're the ones likely to let in 3... v weak bench too - so much for the big squad, loads of people missing (Holtby, Defoe, Kaboul, Sandro, Vertonghen, Rose, Walker) off the top of my head...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    JackW said:

Thanks to those who dragged themselves away from their Christmas port and had a stab at the quiz on the previous thread.

Jack

Which famous Liberal cricketer lost to the sound of an opera aria?

• Options
    Crossover by Christmas.

Plan A will triumph in spite of early disappointments.
  • Options
    Prediction time:

The Coalition will not last to the end of 2010, umm 2011 – scrub that, 2012 – and er, 2013..!

OK, definitely 2014….maybe!
  • Options
    I've gone for 1-2 on the ICM polls.

Spurs mindset, hope for the best, expect the worst..... fear everyone (Daily Mail)
  • Options

I'll be surprised if polls have moved much when the entertainment resumes in January. People have as David observes been paying no attention at all.

There are a lot of voters who have spent Christmas sans electricity, and whilst coping with adversity can boost the government (eg Gordon Brown's storms boost) in this case things may have dragged on too long.

A Kinnock-led Opposition might have drawn unfavourable comparisons between now and the efficiency of the 1987 hurricane clean-up by the then CEGB but now we are all en thrall to the markets so the private power companies must surely be doing an excellent job in adverse circumstances. The Christmas lights still twinkle in Notting Hill as they do in Primrose Hill and Chipping Norton.
    And Gideon said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And Gideon saw the light, and it was good; and Gideon divided the blues from the darkness

• Options
    Twop Twips ‏@TwopTwips 13 Dec

NEVER go into a hardware shop in Birmingham and ask for some 4-ply.

(via @thomas__)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited December 2013
    Never say Never. I will say sometime there will be a Tory lead. I expect the December 2014 polls will be even for Labour and Tory. That would represent a 3.5% swing from Con to Lab - about 4% in marginals.

I voted 3-4.
  • Options
    I voted 5-6, but it could well be fewer. I'm just hoping that at least a couple of them are before 18 September.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AveryLP said:

And Gideon saw the light, and it was good; and Gideon divided the blues from the darkness

You are taking the Lords name in vain, AveryLP. Thunders and Lightnings will be brought forth on your head; your feet will be planted in mire and your arms will be stretched and always tire...
  • Options
    Considering the budget is in March, Gideon to come up with more accounting tricks to justify more tax breaks and yet 80-90% of PBers say CON lead will be between 0-2 months.

I hope Avery predicted , at least, 9 times !
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    I voted 1-2. So expect it to be anything *but* that, following Jessop's fifteenth rule of betting

On another note: congratulations to 7fingers on the last thread. And yes, the bet's valid; just put the winnings into the baby's bank account. ;-)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Very popular in France as all polls suggest.

• Options
    New William Hill prices on IndyRef turnout:

66% and over 5/6
    Under 66% 5/6

Other turnout prices - FAV only:

BetVictor 65% and over 4/9
    Paddy Power More than 64% 8/15
    Betfair 75.01% and over 2/1
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Dear Zlatan. Your services are needed at Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs (delete as appropriate). We'll pay you the same as you currently get, but you'll get 30% more of it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    5/6 for over 66% looks like good money, I think turnout will be way over that, just wish I had some money.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Dear Zlatan. Your services are needed at Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs (delete as appropriate). We'll pay you the same as you currently get, but you'll get 30% more of it.

WRONG. Typical Tory, never reads the detail. It is the EMPLOYERS who pay the 75% - not the Employee.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

5/6 for over 66% looks like good money, I think turnout will be way over that, just wish I had some money.

Turnout for Devolution in 1979 was just 63.8%, in an era when turnouts were generally a lot higher than they are today...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

malcolmg said:

Turnout for Devolution in 1979 was just 63.8%, in an era when turnouts were generally a lot higher than they are today...
    That is misleading Rod, because not voting at all had the same effect as a No vote*, so lots of No supporters simply stayed at home.

* due to George Cunningham's 40% Amendment to the Scotland Act 1978
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

malcolmg said:

That is misleading Rod, because not voting at all had the same effect as a No vote*, so lots of No supporters simply stayed at home.

That's a supposition, not a fact...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

Considering the budget is in March, Gideon to come up with more accounting tricks to justify more tax breaks and yet 80-90% of PBers say CON lead will be between 0-2 months.

I hope Avery predicted , at least, 9 times !

Curious you say that, Surby.

I think you are right about the tax breaks, but it will not (only) be for electoral reasons.

The primary reason will be economic and the need to sustain and manage the economical revival. The end of this calendar year has seen the beginnings of a turnaround in lending to businesses and most commentators are predicting an upturn in business investment through 2014. There will though be a lag though between this upturn and its impact on growth.

At the same time there is a limit to the amount of short term growth which can be generated through consumer expenditure, especially when real incomes are only likely to recover gradually. We don't know yet what the Christmas retail figures will be but even if they hold up, there will be limited capacity for sustaining spend through the sparse winter months.

So to bridge the gap between an inevitable easing off of growth in consumer expenditure and the impact of increased business investment, the economy would benefit from a short and measured fiscal stimulus. Fitting such stimulus to the needs of the economic cycle, the perfect timing would be the second quarter of 2014.

George is both a lucky and a skillful chancellor. His timing is but a cigarette paper in width off perfect. Not only will he increase net disposable incomes by easing the tax burden in the March 2014 budget, he will have the right economic excuses for doing so.

No need for accounting tricks here, Surby.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I got on 75% + at Betfair when it was over 4. I'm kicking myself for not putting on a bigger stake.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

malcolmg said:

I'm simply trying to help you avoid a false assessment of likely turnout, but feel free to completely ignore the proffered intelligence.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

antifrank said:

Very popular in France as all polls suggest.

It always is until people realise that it is bringing in a lot less money than was claimed because everyone who can has left the country. One of the reasons there are such large numbers of French entrepreneurs moving across the Channel to London.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

WRONG. Typical Tory, never reads the detail. It is the EMPLOYERS who pay the 75% - not the Employee.
    Even better. The entrepreneurs move their whole business to the UK. The French Lefties really are very stupid sometimes.
  • Options

I opted for 3-4. I think we may get one before the Euro elections and then pretty much level pegging. Once Scotland says YES in September I expect the Tory lead to be constant in English polls (as they effectively will be by then).

If Scotland votes Yes in September, is it not more likely that David Cameron and his party will get a lot of the blame? Or do you think that English voters are more likely to blame Tony Blair and his party for implementing the devolution policy he had inherited from John Smith?

I've never been convinced by the argument that Scottish independence would boost the Tories in England. I think that losing the last of the colonies, and thus finally closing the British Empire chapter for good could be a nail in the coffin of Toryism. The movement grew and flourished because of Empire, but is it really fit for purpose in the post-Empire phase of England's history?

• Options
    Posters on here always seem to underestimate their own football teams...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013

surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

Even better. The entrepreneurs move their whole business to the UK. The French Lefties really are very stupid sometimes.
    Pretty hard to move a football club, or do you envisage Paris Saint-Germain relocating to Chelmsford?
  • Options

If Scotland votes Yes in September, is it not more likely that David Cameron and his party will get a lot of the blame? Or do you think that English voters are more likely to blame Tony Blair and his party for implementing the devolution policy he had inherited from John Smith?

I've never been convinced by the argument that Scottish independence would boost the Tories in England. I think that losing the last of the colonies, and thus finally closing the British Empire chapter for good could be a nail in the coffin of Toryism. The movement grew and flourished because of Empire, but is it really fit for purpose in the post-Empire phase of England's history?

Big question is how does it effect GE2015.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Polling from just under a month ago.

YouGov finds 67% of voters want Scot MPs banned from voting in Commons post yes vote 61% of Scots agree

14% Oppose, 17% in Scotland

Just remember Dave, Vox populi, vox Dei
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

You are taking the Lords name in vain, AveryLP. Thunders and Lightnings will be brought forth on your head; your feet will be planted in mire and your arms will be stretched and always tire...
    Do not be concerned, me old Weathercock.

True Tories have fixed the roof when the sun has shone.

And I have ascended the Scala Sancta in Rome on my knees, earning a plenary indulgence of nine years off purgatory for each step. The 28 steps mean I now have a credit of 271 years.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cameron will get the credit if it's a NO and get the blame if it's a YES.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, unlike Easterross, I am not yet convinced it will be a Yes vote in September, but for obvious reasons punters like yourself must make an assessment of the effects of both Yes and No votes on English electoral behaviour.

I suspect that a Yes vote would cripple Cameron's reputation and his premiership. Perhaps unfairly he would go down in history as the PM that broke the Union (I can name at least 3 PMs that bear a far bigger burden of reponsibility).

A No vote on the other hand would be a tremendous triumph for Cameron. His signing the Edinburgh Agreement was a gamble, and it would be seen to have paid off handomely. The auld enemy the Scots would have been taught their lesson and be open to public ridicule throughout the planet: all talk and no action. Cameron and his party could do what they liked to the defeated Scots, as they had played their trump card and lost the hand. UK GE 2015 would start to look like game on for Con Maj.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I voted for 1-2 which means it will be zero or above 3.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Its more hmm - Could there be a result of NOM, Lab Most Seats, Con Most seats excluding Scotland.

Who is PM in that scenario ?
  • Options
    My scenario if there's a Yes vote.

Dave proposes legislation removing the rights of Scots MPs to vote in Westminter and send MPs to Westminster in 2015.

Labour opposes this, this boosts the Tories in England and possibly Wales, may not be a positive for Labour in England.

Of course, the great unknown is if Scots vote to leave, but never do, because of legal delays and Alex Salmond's inability to deliver the promises he made during the campaign.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Cameron has already mastered the art of winning a referendum.

It is in General Elections where he needs to up his game.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Stuart I don't think 99.5% of the population of England will give a toss if Scotland votes YES in September. They don't actually realise there is any difference between England and GB/UK. Even Dr David Starkey doesn't know the difference, given he was rabbiting on about English kings when referring to the descendants of James VI sitting on the combined thrones from 1625-1901. Equally I don't think it will affect their voting intentions in the slightest other than some of the loony far right will probably revert to Tory because they will credit David Cameron in their own eyes with getting rid of the sponging Scots.

What it will do is permanently deprive Labour of 35-50 MPs from Westminster which will suit the London Tory Party perfectly, though they will never admit it.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited December 2013
    I'd prefer constant 1% Labour leads to keep everyone on their toes. Tory leads will lead to complacency.

But I think Tory leads will come after the Euros are done with and around the time the union is saved.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,861
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

malcolmg said:

Well, it's certainly true for the No voters (and Yes ones) who could hardly be expected to get to the polling booth because they were dead and buried/cremated, but still got counted as No.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Credit or blame from whom? History? I'm not convinced English voters care very much one way or the other, although that can change.

If No wins, then surely the question is whether Darling returns triumphant to London with a free choice of front bench jobs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron has already mastered the art of winning a referendum.

It is in General Elections where he needs to up his game.

Well, if the polls are to be believed (and I'd urge extreme caution on that point), then David Cameron has had an excellent IndyRef thus far. His choice of Alastair Darling to run his No campaign was a masterstroke, and even his placewoman Ruth Davidson has been slightly improving (albeit from a dire base).

The problem from springtime onwards is that this ceases to be a phoney air war and becomes a hot ground war. I just don't rate the Scottish Tories as a ground war outfit, and he can't rely on the SLDs (there aren't many left) or the SLabbers/trade unionists (their ground troops have seen through BT for the Tory front that it is).
  • Options

surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

Pretty hard to move a football club, or do you envisage Paris Saint-Germain relocating to Chelmsford?
    Nope of course not but there are huge numbers of businesses which can and will move - in fact there are huge numbers which have already moved and the lefties in France seem to have forgotten that membership of the EU means they can still sell their products and services back into France and there is nothing the French government can do about it.

Personally I think it is a shame that the EU undermines national taxation policies but it is amusing to see fanatically Europhile lefties coming to the realisation that what we have said all along is correct and that high taxation welfarism is dead in an open market.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

Effectively, all employment taxes fall on the employee, because that raise the cost of employment. A 10% income tax, and a 10% employers tax are economically identical

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Tessa Jowell's hopes of ousting Boris Johnson as London Mayor were hit last night after a shocking foul-mouthed outburst by the former Cabinet Minister
    In an extraordinary interview, the MP – who was made a dame last year and is known for her ‘mumsy image’ – used the word ‘f***’ four times in addition to ‘s***’, ‘a******e’ and ‘penis’.

Her comments came in an interview with the Labour-supporting Guardian intended to promote her campaign to become Labour’s candidate in the 2016 London poll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530482/Tessa-Jowells-four-letter-rant-threatens-bid-London-Mayor-Labour-Dame-turns-air-blue-accused-faking-tears-marriage-split.html
  • Options

surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

Nope of course not but there are huge numbers of businesses which can and will move - in fact there are huge numbers which have already moved and the lefties in France seem to have forgotten that membership of the EU means they can still sell their products and services back into France and there is nothing the French government can do about it.

Personally I think it is a shame that the EU undermines national taxation policies but it is amusing to see fanatically Europhile lefties coming to the realisation that what we have said all along is correct and that high taxation welfarism is dead in an open market.
    Personally, I find one of the EU's redeeming characteristics is that they encourage governments to complete for both corporates and bright people. Competition between governments is a welcome break on stupidity.

• Options

Stuart I don't think 99.5% of the population of England will give a toss if Scotland votes YES in September. They don't actually realise there is any difference between England and GB/UK. Even Dr David Starkey doesn't know the difference, given he was rabbiting on about English kings when referring to the descendants of James VI sitting on the combined thrones from 1625-1901. Equally I don't think it will affect their voting intentions in the slightest other than some of the loony far right will probably revert to Tory because they will credit David Cameron in their own eyes with getting rid of the sponging Scots.

What it will do is permanently deprive Labour of 35-50 MPs from Westminster which will suit the London Tory Party perfectly, though they will never admit it.

I'm finding the opinions expressed here very instructive. Perhaps it will be a mixture of conflicting factors.

Strengthening ER's argument is
    (a) the sponging Jocks meme still plastered all over the Daily Mail and the like (it is always instructive to compare their English and Scottish editions);

and (b) the decline in Britishness even in England as seen in recent censuses and opinion polls. The decline and fall of Britain will be that much less of a shock/surprise to the Zeitgeist of all, except perhaps the elderly and the more Britnat, as it would have been in the 1970s.

It might also be remembered that Mr Cameron and the Tories are showing chateau generalship, for they have taken great care not to fight for the union personally, apart from the odd visit to the (literal, not metaphorical porridge factory aside (which itself explained some of the reasons why he has avoided visiting the front line). In those circumstances it's a tossup which penal battalion in the trenches gets the blame - Labour or even the LDs, or the media.

I also suspect that in the case of a Yes the Tories will be delighted to blame the Scots for everything from dinosaur extinction to scrapping the Trident replacement, so there's that as a bonus too.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

Heh. Just done blog saying all believers in climate change are literally insane.

Now I just need the ideal time to post it.

Next time it snows, and you can reference this piece from the indy in 2000

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past....."Children just aren't going to know what snow is"

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Heh. Just done blog saying all believers in climate change are literally insane.

The way you constantly challenge the beliefs of your Telegraph readers is hugely admirable (and brave).

• Options
    ::Buffs Nails::

My post at 3:18

Also backed Stoke to concede 3 or more goals today. 9/4 with William Hill.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The climate has changed in the past, and will do so in the future (CO2 levels 5 times current during the Jurassic). The effect of man is quite another question ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Grandiose said:

Personally, I find one of the EU's redeeming characteristics is that they encourage governments to complete for both corporates and bright people. Competition between governments is a welcome break on stupidity.

I agree to a large extent. But of course that is still something we could have without EU membership. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @Stuart_Dickson

Well, if the polls are to be believed (and I'd urge extreme caution on that point), then David Cameron has had an excellent IndyRef thus far. His choice of Alastair Darling to run his No campaign was a masterstroke, and even his placewoman Ruth Davidson has been slightly improving (albeit from a dire base).

The problem from springtime onwards is that this ceases to be a phoney air war and becomes a hot ground war. I just don't rate the Scottish Tories as a ground war outfit, and he can't rely on the SLDs (there aren't many left) or the SLabbers/trade unionists (their ground troops have seen through BT for the Tory front that it is).

Cameron's two tactical triumphs on the Scottish Referendum have been to negotiate an initial binary decision and to treat the debate for what it truly is: an internal family dispute and not a war between England and Scotland.

I really don't accept your arguments about ground wars. It is patronising and wrongheaded to assume that Scots will vote in a referendum on independence in the same was they do in a local election. The vote will be considered by all as fundamental, long term and important and this attitude will mean that party activism will have a greatly diminished sway over voting.

On the positive side, I do not sense that Cameron intends any triumphalism from Westminster in the event of a NO vote. Magnanimity in victory will not only be personally characteristic and self-defining, it will also be politically advantageous.

The key to Scotland's future happiness lies not in the result of the September 2014 referendum but in the post referendum relationship between the SNP and Westminster. And a strong Cameron-Salmond relationship will be the foundation upon which this future will be built.

It is a truth which I believe both Eck and Dave have already recognised and which both have started to work on.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Strengthening ER's argument is
    (a) the sponging Jocks meme still plastered all over the Daily Mail and the like (it is always instructive to compare their English and Scottish editions);

and (b) the decline in Britishness even in England as seen in recent censuses and opinion polls. The decline and fall of Britain will be that much less of a shock/surprise to the Zeitgeist of all, except perhaps the elderly and the more Britnat, as it would have been in the 1970s.

It might also be remembered that Mr Cameron and the Tories are showing chateau generalship, for they have taken great care not to fight for the union personally, apart from the odd visit to the (literal, not metaphorical) porridge factory aside (which itself explained some of the reasons why he has avoided visiting the front line). In those circumstances it's a tossup which penal battalion in the trenches gets the blame - Labour or even the LDs, or the media.

I also suspect that in the case of a Yes the Tories will be delighted to blame the Scots for everything from dinosaur extinction to scrapping the Trident replacement, so there's that as a bonus too.
    Chateau generals are still generals. And generals defeated in decisive battles rarely have sparkling careers thereafter.

The LDs won't get the blame because they'll be an irrelevance. Labour won't get the blame because they'll be seen to have done their best with the shitty hand Cameron gave them.

The media would deserve a lot of the blame, but the media is never held to account.

Blaming the Scots will be a fun game for a year or two, but as England faces up to the new realities of its own independence it may begin to actually enjoy governing itself again.
  • Options
    Depends:

Somehow I doubt that OGH uses imperial-measurements. Given the small metrics that is Napoleonic amongst the dhimmies, eight per-cent must be huge!

I, personally, think that permanent cross-over will occur by August 2014 (following England winning the "World Cup"). Losing Scotland the following month will be a bonus...!
  • Options

SeanT said:

The way you constantly challenge the beliefs of your Telegraph readers is hugely admirable (and brave).
    :)
  • Options
    Chelsea have been utterly under the radar in terms of sneaking up to within 2 points of top.
  • Options

Depends:

Somehow I doubt that OGH uses imperial-measurements. Given the small metrics that is Napoleonic amongst the dhimmies, eight per-cent must be huge!

I, personally, think that permanent cross-over will occur by August 2014 (following England winning the "World Cup"). Losing Scotland the following month will be a bonus...!

You can buy Yes at 4/1 and England winning the World Cup at 33/1. If you are right then you may never need to work again.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Depends:

You can buy Yes at 4/1 and England winning the World Cup at 33/1. If you are right then you may never need to work again.
    Probably the world's worst 169-1 double.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

After floodwaters recede and power is restored, but before the storms return.

And surely any sane blogger would leave scientific controversies to, well, science?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A little bit of reality for our excitable Nat friends, and Easterross,

In all of the 30-odd polls on independence since 2012, just one poll has shown a (1 point) lead for YES. And that was since dismissed as skewed.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/scottish-independence-referendum

In truth the polling seems to show a curious cycling, with the NO lead shrinking and growing every two months or so - but averaging about 15-20.

Ah, but don't forget the secessionist surge that's going to happen in 2014.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @AveryLP
    Cameron's two tactical triumphs on the Scottish Referendum have been to negotiate an initial binary decision and to treat the debate for what it truly is: an internal family dispute and not a war between England and Scotland.

I really don't accept your arguments about ground wars. It is patronising and wrongheaded to assume that Scots will vote in a referendum on independence in the same was they do in a local election. The vote will be considered by all as fundamental, long term and important and this attitude will mean that party activism will have a greatly diminished sway over voting.

On the positive side, I do not sense that Cameron intends any triumphalism from Westminster in the event of a NO vote. Magnanimity in victory will not only be personally characteristic and self-defining, it will also be politically advantageous.
    Ho ho. We'll see just how much of a "tactical triumph" the binary question is when we see how all the Devo Max supporters cast their votes. They are a bigger group than both the Yes and the No camps, and will decide the outcome of this referendum.

I don't expect English Tories to understand the coming ground war. The more you fail to comprehend the happier I become.

Triumphalism is what Westminster and Whitehall do best. They are Olympic masters of that game. Winning a No vote will be no exception. Magnanimity is not even in their dictionary.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I do occasionally poke the Telegraph demographic in the eye, as well. I did a blog implying UKIPpers are kinky ("suburban doggers") and got about 2,000 angry emails.
    Giving UKIP more supporters is a bonus, SeanT. Lat's hope they are voters as well.;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Depends:

Probably the world's worst 169-1 double.
    :) Poor old England.

You know, I have a strange gut feeling about this World Cup. For pretty much the first time in history, England are going into it without being over-hyped. I just wonder if that may help them to actually perform once the competition begins. I'll certainly be shouting them on. If England actually win the final I think that Salmond and Jenkins may explode with the sheer joy of their unexpected gift.
  • Options
    Hoorar - Yet another of my predictions wrong!

United to beat Spurs on New Years Day then....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I do occasionally poke the Telegraph demographic in the eye, as well. I did a blog implying UKIPpers are kinky ("suburban doggers") and got about 2,000 angry emails.
    Giving UKIP more supporters is a bonus, SeanT. Lat's hope they are voters as well.;)
    Still believe that UKIP will get 23 seats?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

@AveryLP

Ho ho. We'll see just how much of a "tactical triumph" the binary question is when we see how all the Devo Max supporters cast their votes. They are a bigger group than both the Yes and the No camps, and will decide the outcome of this referendum.

I don't expect English Tories to understand the coming ground war. The more you fail to comprehend the happier I become.

Triumphalism is what Westminster and Whitehall do best. They are Olympic masters of that game. Winning a No vote will be no exception. Magnanimity is not even in their dictionary.

And what would happen if Mr Miliband wins the UK GE in 2015, after a Yes? [edited] Or a No? Would his reaction be any different?

• Options

I disagree. A lot of English people care very much indeed about the outcome of the IndyRef. Certainly a lot more than your 0.5%.

And the difference between England and GB/UK is much more widely understood now than it was back in the 70s, and much, much more so than the 40s (remember Churchill's "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word that means more to me than any other word. That word is England.")

The depriving Labour of 35-50 MPs from Westminster thing is just a temporary setback to Miliband. The damage to Cameron will more than offset that.
  • Options

I disagree. A lot of English people care very much indeed about the outcome of the IndyRef. Certainly a lot more than your 0.5%.

And the difference between England and GB/UK is much more widely understood now than it was back in the 70s, and much, much more so than the 40s (remember Churchill's "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word that means more to me than any other word. That word is England.")

The depriving Labour of 35-50 MPs from Westminster thing is just a temporary setback to Miliband. The damage to Cameron will more than offset that.
    I think that Stuart is right on this one. If it is YES then it will be a huge negative for Cameron and his party for years to come. That's one of the reasons why I'm not ruling out a YES victory. Kicking Cameron and the Tories would be a good reason to vote for change.

• Options
    David Cameron defends 'comatose' Alistair Darling's leadership of campaign against Scottish independence
    - David Cameron and Lord Forsyth reject whispering campaign against performance of Better Together and its leader, Alistair Darling

... Lynton Crosby, the Prime Minister’s election guru, has issued an emphatic denial he is behind the whispering campaign amid rumours that polls giving the unionists a commanding lead are wrong and Alex Salmond’s separatists are likely to triumph.

Downing Street sources rejected the claims about Mr Crosby as “second and third-hand tittle-tattle” and claimed the real culprit was someone without any close involvement in the fight against independence.

... The Sunday Times reported Lord Forsyth’s concerns that the UK Government is complacent about the result, but he told the Telegraph that Mr Darling, the former Chancellor, was doing a “great job” and criticism of Better Together is “unfounded”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10541254/David-Cameron-defends-comatose-Alistair-Darlings-leadership-of-campaign-against-Scottish-independence.html
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

The only comment I've heard re independence in England boils down to "it's up to them, don't care either way". I think you underestimate the don't give a toss factor in England.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,956
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

After floodwaters recede and power is restored, but before the storms return.

And surely any sane blogger would leave scientific controversies to, well, science?
    If we'd left science to scientists we'd now be living in a world of applied eugenics. Scientists are as prone to lunacies and groupthink as anyone else.

My blog relates to the recent storms and rains.
    Andrew Neil is currently getting stuck in to climate change fanatics on twitter... Maybe now is the time to blog
  • Options
    saddened said:

The only comment I've heard re independence in England boils down to "it's up to them, don't care either way". I think you underestimate the don't give a toss factor in England.
    Link?

The polling evidence would tend to back my take rather than yours or Easterross's.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I think that Stuart is right on this one. If it is YES then it will be a huge negative for Cameron and his party for years to come. That's one of the reasons why I'm not ruling out a YES victory. Kicking Cameron and the Tories would be a good reason to vote for change.

Is this a good time to remember that the Tories and Dave aren't solely in government on their own.

Will the Lib Dems also experience this huge negative?
This discussion has been closed.