Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Georgia run-offs – almost as important as the Presidential election itself – politicalbetting.co

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited December 2020 in General
The Georgia run-offs – almost as important as the Presidential election itself – politicalbetting.com

YouTube video of Lincoln project ad

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    First ?
  • Options
    Second like Trump
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Lets hope the GOP lose the senate and Biden has the power to make some changes. Good grief they're needed.
  • Options

Second like Trump

Loser!!!!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    There will be plenty of time to get our revenge on the perfidious French.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Thought they were anti a border in the Irish Sea?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Aren't Christmas overnight stays banned in NI too?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Emerson absolutely nailed Georgia In November.
  • Options

Second like Trump

Loser!!!!
    FAKE NEWS!!!!! I WON HUGELY
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited December 2020
    Most of the latest polls in Georgia show the Republicans holding onto both Senate seats and their Senate majority, though one has the Democrats ahead.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1338993983213752320?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1339460403173179392?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1340006832593506304?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1340834584511082498?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1341046361060306944?s=20

In which case if the GOP do hold the seats and the Senate Biden will be the first President to enter office in January without his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989 and there would be confirmation that the election in November was merely a vote to replace Trump, there was no desire for an unchecked Democratic majority or any shift left in the US from the average US voter. Biden could still use executive orders but beyond that have little mandate for any further change and be able to get much through the GOP Senate even if he can get it through the Democratic controlled House.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Emerson absolutely nailed Georgia In November.

In which case the GOP will hold the seats
    'https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1339460403173179392?s=20
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

Didn't we ban Danish lorries for a short time a little while back. I wonder if they are quietly plotting to make us repeatedly step barefoot on Lego.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Shifting Trump out the White House was THE big incentive to get Dem voters out in big numbers in November. Senate races in January? Maybe not so much....
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Didn't we ban Danish lorries for a short time a little while back. I wonder if they are quietly plotting to make us repeatedly step barefoot on Lego.
    We closed them down over their mink mutation, so...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I make a thousand large lorries nose to tail about 18 miles long - max.

There will be a quick resolution to this - if only because many drivers stuck in Kent are French or European and a bit pissed off, and want to get home for Christmas.

And Irish.

Macron has seriously damaged EU freight and I cannot see this continuing as anger rises against the French decision from EU companies
    If 'Cockney Covid' had been 'le covid' in France we might have done the same.
    Why not admit Macron is wrong in this decision rather than trying to deflect it

Also he has forced Toyota into a controlled closure of manufacturing in France and the UK
    Macron is wrong. It's exactly the sort of nationalist politics that I am against. If only there was a pan European body that mitgated against this sort of politics. Something that both Britain and France could participate in and resolve their differences.
    Like how it resolved BSE?
  • Options
    The Times has got hold of some fairly bleak modelling of infections/deaths/hospital admissions for February. Might be best not to think about it.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There will be a quick resolution to this - if only because many drivers stuck in Kent are French or European and a bit pissed off, and want to get home for Christmas.

And Irish.

Macron has seriously damaged EU freight and I cannot see this continuing as anger rises against the French decision from EU companies

Also he has forced Toyota into a controlled closure of manufacturing in France and the UK
    Macron is wrong. It's exactly the sort of nationalist politics that I am against. If only there was a pan European body that mitgated against this sort of politics. Something that both Britain and France could participate in and resolve their differences.
    It took you more than a quarter of an hour to come up with that. Must try harder.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Second like Trump

Loser!!!!
    He obviously won by a landslide :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2020

The Times has got hold of some fairly bleak modelling of infections/deaths/hospital admissions for February. Might be best not to think about it.

but...but...but....we should wait until February before we do any lockdowns, to see if that modelling is a load of bollocks.

Because er, Boris....Christmas....u-turn....clown......
  • Options

but...but...but....we should wait until February before we do any lockdowns, to see if that modelling is a load of bollocks.

Good to see you defending the indefensible.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

False positives...Sweden...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And Irish.

It took you more than a quarter of an hour to come up with that. Must try harder.
    You got zingered.

We feel your pain.
  • Options

Where our prime minister leads...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

Or more likely starting about dec 28th...
  • Options
    FPT
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And Irish.

There isn't. France has the right to close its borders for matters of health and security. They did it following the Bataclan and Stad de France terrorist attacks as well. Same for every other country. The EU has no power in this issue.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good to see the paucity of your attack lines.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And Irish.

You got zingered.

We feel your pain.
    If you think a 25 year old reference is a zinger, your standards are really slipping. And whilst you play your games, the country stands on the brink.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,644
    edited December 2020

First ?

Confidence required :smile: .

Statements not questions.

You are not Sir Kendrick.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DellAnnaLuca/status/1340936912010276865?s=20
    118 times more than the Germans and 61 times more than the French.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited December 2020

Shifting Trump out the White House was THE big incentive to get Dem voters out in big numbers in November. Senate races in January? Maybe not so much....

I'm not betting yet but I think the Democrats have a very fair shout here. They have higher propensity voters than the GOP now - if it's a de facto midterm turnout rerun, they're favourite to win.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good to see the paucity of your attack lines.
    Who's attacking? If you feel attacked that's your problem.
  • Options
    Christ on a bike, this modelling is before the mutant strain was properly identified.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1341149040814288899
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Yeah, it's everywhere already. This is ultimate barn door territory.
  • Options

Christ on a bike, this modelling is before the mutant strain was properly identified.

Scary days.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scary days.
    Can't wait to be back in school on 4th Jan, or get sued by Gavin Williamson.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Someone couldn't hit it with a banjo?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited December 2020
    The government needs to rethink its vaccine priority list, based on those projections it is highly likely the NHS staff are going to be infected and/or self isolating in such large numbers that there won't be enough staff to deal with the deluge.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Equally a lot of Trump Republicans have zero incentive to get out and vote.

I suspect it’s easier to get democrats out to vote a second time than those republicans
  • Options

FPT

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And Irish.

There isn't. France has the right to close its borders for matters of health and security. They did it following the Bataclan and Stad de France terrorist attacks as well. Same for every other country. The EU has no power in this issue.
    Not really sure why @Jonathan is flapping about Brexit on this.

It is quite reasonable for France to close its borders whilst this is evaluated, just as everyone did for Denmark, and various countries back in the Spring. Good job that Brexit means we have practiced coping.

I suspect that Little Napoleon will discover that it is already there.
  • Options

The government needs to rethink its vaccine priority list, based on those projections its highly likely the NHS staff are going to be infected and/or self isolating in such large numbers that there won't be enough staff to deal with the deluge.

They are currently in the second band, right? I think you are right though.
  • Options

Doesn't that apply equally to those GOP voters whose big incentive was keeping Trump in the WH? I believe an eminent PB Trafalgarian has made certain claims about 2016 Trump on the ticket v. 2018 Trump not on the ticket..
  • Options

The government needs to rethink its vaccine priority list, based on those projections its highly likely the NHS staff are going to be infected and/or self isolating in such large numbers that there won't be enough staff to deal with the deluge.

That's sensible. I wonder if there are any other ways in which the vaccine can be expedited. Could the Oxford virus be green lit. It's storage requirements are such that it should be able to go faster.
  • Options

And the German and French testers have all left the building, until the New Year.

I'm guessing.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's sensible. I wonder if there are any other ways in which the vaccine can be expedited. Could the Oxford virus be green lit. It's storage requirements are such that it should be able to go faster.
    We've heard that is imminent, and should be far far easier to distribute en masse.
  • Options
    Who the f*ck is getting on a plane at this point ? The only people I know who have flown recently really didn't want to fly but it was neccessary for their work.
    But that's not the majority of flyers right now, particularly over christmas when contracts pretty much all go into a de facto pause.
    Just who are these would be flyers ?
  • Options

The government needs to rethink its vaccine priority list, based on those projections it is highly likely the NHS staff are going to be infected and/or self isolating in such large numbers that there won't be enough staff to deal with the deluge.

Aren't they already being vaccinated?

I believe Foxy said he has been.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who the f*ck is getting on a plane at this point ? The only people I know who have flown recently really didn't want to fly but it was neccessary for their work.
    But that's not the majority of flyers right now, particularly over christmas when contracts pretty much all go into a de facto pause.

A couple I know say they have to go to a warmer climate for Christmas because they can't cope with the British winter.

It is an annual tradition apparently.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

We've heard that is imminent, and should be far far easier to distribute en masse.
    Let's hope so. Sounds like every day counts.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Has Easter been cancelled?

Plenty of hints, leaks, briefings, statistical models and graphs for Tier 4 lockdown rules, guidelines masked by broad state powers for an unspecified period.

A year ago if @SeanT had posted an outlined plot for a dystopian sci-fi novel set amongst a backdrop of a population under mass house arrest, large unused Potemkin hospitals, with a chorus of technocrats arguing over the impact of a virus, we might think it was all the work of @Adrian_Harper
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A couple I know say they have to go to a warmer climate for Christmas because they can't cope with the British winter.

They should probably be shot instead.
  • Options

Medical professionals are in the second wave.

The guidance confirms a priority list published in September has remained unchanged, and recommends patients should be vaccinated in the following order:

Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
    All those 80 years of age and over; frontline health and social care workers
    All those 75 years of age and over
    All those 70 years of age and over; clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
    All those 65 years of age and over
    All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
    All those 60 years of age and over
    All those 55 years of age and over
    All those 50 years of age and over

https://www.gponline.com/jcvi-confirms-priority-groups-covid-19-vaccination/article/1701635
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Doesn't that apply equally to those GOP voters whose big incentive was keeping Trump in the WH? I believe an eminent PB Trafalgarian has made certain claims about 2016 Trump on the ticket v. 2018 Trump not on the ticket..
    Georgia was one of the states Trump did relatively worst compared to a generic Republican however, Trump only got 49% in Georgia this year compared to the 53% even Romney got in the state in 2012 for example.

In comparison in Ohio for example Trump got 53% in 2020 compared to just 47% for Romney in 2012 and in Florida Trump got 51% in 2020 compared to just 49% for Romney in 2012.

Biden won Georgia with only a minority vote of 49%, so if the GOP candidates get the remaining 51% including the not Trump Republicans who went Libertarian in the presidential election they will hold the seats as Emerson suggests
  • Options
    My working assumption is that even in currently-Tier 2 Devon, we will be locked down, March 2020-style, before the end of the year until at least mid-February.

Futher afield, the M25 will become a minefield....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I've rolled my eyes at them so much I can see my optic nerves.

A few of us have pointed out the risks of going to an EU country during a pandemic and with a possibility of a no deal Brexit happening whilst they are out there.

But they will self isolate when they get back so that's ok.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

People going home?

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A few of us have pointed out the risks of going to an EU country during a pandemic and with a possibility of a no deal Brexit happening whilst they are out there.

People are idiots. Remind me why they get the vote again?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

People going home?

Nope, both Brits, born and bred.

I think one of them can trace their lineage back to the Plantagenet era.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Would you be astonished to learn they also like to put pineapple on their pizzas?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Exactly, plenty of Brits, especially wealthy Brits spend the December or January holidays in warmer and sunnier climes, from the Canary Islands, to Barbados, the Maldives, the Seychelles and Mauritius or Florida etc
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

And the German and French testers have all left the building, until the New Year.

I'm guessing.
    I asked this morning a direct question seeking a direct answer

Name me an area in Europe for which had had a similar increase in incidence under a similar level and duration of elevated restriction as Kent and Essex have had? Name me an area which looks like another place where this should better have been spotted?

I'm pretty sure that variant is in the wild in other places. I'm less sure that there will be a another place where the variant has become quite so dominant.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    RobD said:

Also identified in Belgium in November, apparently (post hoc, in the same way we’ve identified it here from back in September).

Here’s the latest PHE report on the strain (increased infectivity now “high confidence”):
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/947048/Technical_Briefing_VOC_SH_NJL2_SH2.pdf

• Options

My working assumption is that even in currently-Tier 2 Devon, we will be locked down, March 2020-style, before the end of the year until at least mid-February.

Futher afield, the M25 will become a minefield....

Expect a national Tier 3 minimum lockdown inc possibly secondary school closures until 28 Feb.
  • Options

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

People going home?

Nope, both Brits, born and bred.

I think one of them can trace their lineage back to the Plantagenet era.
    So French then.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,729

Yes, on Sunday 13th. One of the leftovers at the prototype vaccine centre.

I lost a friend to the virus today. 95 and frail, but a great bloke that I have known for 20 years.
  • Options
    Swingers party gone wrong?

Plus anyone else having images of pegging involving that lot?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Democracy is merely window dressing. The Establishment never allow them to implement any change The Establishment don't like....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not betting yet but I think the Democrats have a very fair shout here. They have higher propensity voters than the GOP now - if it's a de facto midterm turnout rerun, they're favourite to win.
    Georgia GOP is turning up the dial on voter suppression though. Early voting locations closed etc.

And American Swing voters fucking love themselves some 'bi-partisanship' because they are idiots.
  • Options
    Will no one rid us of this turbulent group of rule breaking parasites?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1341152234273460226
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I lost a friend to the virus today. 95 and frail, but a great bloke that I have known for 20 years.
    Sorry to hear that, Foxy.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Democracy is merely window dressing. The Establishment never allow them to implement any change The Establishment don't like....
    Ah, a British Democracy.
  • Options
    I know it is low numbers but the Scottish Borders cases have absolutely rocketed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,729
    Is there a national Darwin award?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    A friend of mine is away in Barbados. She appears to be having a lovely time! I’m rather jealous!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Oh my, much love.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Link to the paper on the SA variant.
    https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1341066796808478722
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sorry to hear that and my condolences.
  • Options

Hush, Lembit's already reaching for his mask.
    Was once in the Opik family house in Belfast and had a brief moment with his sister. True story.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I'm guessing.
    I asked this morning a direct question seeking a direct answer

Name me an area in Europe for which had had a similar increase in incidence under a similar level and duration of elevated restriction as Kent and Essex have had? Name me an area which looks like another place where this should better have been spotted?

I'm pretty sure that variant is in the wild in other places. I'm less sure that there will be a another place where the variant has become quite so dominant.
    Can't recall which but read there was a German city with a really worrying Kent-like rise. Anybody know?
  • Options

Was once in the Opik family house in Belfast and had a brief moment with his sister. True story.
    Wasn't Lembit reputedly the human tripod?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I know it is low numbers but the Scottish Borders cases have absolutely rocketed.

Outbreak at the Borders General in Melrose accounts for some of that.
  • Options

Medical professionals are in the second wave.

The guidance confirms a priority list published in September has remained unchanged, and recommends patients should be vaccinated in the following order:

Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
    All those 80 years of age and over; frontline health and social care workers
    All those 75 years of age and over
    All those 70 years of age and over; clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
    All those 65 years of age and over
    All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
    All those 60 years of age and over
    All those 55 years of age and over
    All those 50 years of age and over

https://www.gponline.com/jcvi-confirms-priority-groups-covid-19-vaccination/article/1701635
    Yes I know that's the theory but it seems the NHS have started waves one and two simultaneously. In part because it's logistically difficult to get the Pfizer vaccine into care homes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    We have banned all travel from South Africa right ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited December 2020
    So Spurs fans what you rather prefer to happen this season?

1) Spurs winning the title

or

2) Arsenal getting relegated

Arsenal plan for doomsday scenario of relegation from the Premier League

A number of Arsenal players face big pay cuts if the once unthinkable happens and the club is relegated to the Championship

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/12/21/arsenal-plan-doomsday-scenario-relegation-premier-league/
  • Options
    edited December 2020

It was at Sandringham in Norfolk which is still only in Tier 2, it was outside and they only went over 6 including the children, there have been far worse infringments
  • Options

Yawn.

I’m no fan of the monarchy, but who cares?

They are going for a walk. So what?

The endless moralising and curtain twitching is nauseating.
    And far enough apart that they look to be in separate bubbles.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

My condolences.
  • Options
    If we're going into Tier 4 England-wide (which I will support - although I also think schools should close), then it needs to apply for many weeks/months without changes being made to it.
  • Options

Wasn't Lembit reputedly the human tripod?
    'Twas a while back, but I don't remember it popping up in the conversation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sorry for your loss, Foxy.
  • Options
    Concessions on both sides? Say it ain't so.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I wonder if there's any modelling for a pretty much UK-wide Tier 4 where all the spread is the mutant variant.
  • Options

So Spurs fans what you rather prefer to happen this season?

1) Spurs winning the title

or

2) Arsenal getting relegated

Arsenal plan for doomsday scenario of relegation from the Premier League

A number of Arsenal players face big pay cuts if the once unthinkable happens and the club is relegated to the Championship

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/12/21/arsenal-plan-doomsday-scenario-relegation-premier-league/

It's amusing to think about but not going to happen.

Sheffield are going down clearly. The Gunners are not finishing below West Brom. Which leaves only one spot left to fall down but there's half a dozen clubs who could take that.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Pulpstar said:

You obviously didn't hear the Simon Calder one hour phone in on R5L this lunchtime...
    Highlights included recommending cheap flights to the Canaries.
    Spain closed to UK this afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.