Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2013: The year when according to political punters, at leas

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2013: The year when according to political punters, at least, nothing changed very much

Labour’s polling lead over the Tories is down a couple of points on a year ago but the gap seems to be remarkably stubborn. Even in the very bad period for Labour in the late summer Miliband’s party continued to see reasonable polling gaps.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    first.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    It's quite remarkable how the polls have stayed so consistent for all parties, except UKIP where I suspect the churn includes those who previously didn't vote.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Both the Euros and the indyref will make things more interesting next year. It has been a dull year politically.
  • Options
    Mr Smithson seems to ignore the economic recovery opportunities, which georgie-porgie will utilize, when it suits him to put the two Edds back in their box.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Mr Smithson seems to ignore the economic recovery opportunities, which georgie-porgie will utilize, when it suits him to put the two Edds back in their box.

Ah, my friend; but even you must have noticed the increasing number of the voting public saying, in effect, a plague on the Lab/lib/Con parties, and seeking the UKIP alternative.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Clearly Betfair haven't heard of Dr Fisher and our Rod Crosby.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    UKIP will not be in a position to implement any policy, apart from putting Miliband in Downing street.
    MikeK said:

Ah, my friend; but even you must have noticed the increasing number of the voting public saying, in effect, a plague on the Lab/lib/Con parties, and seeking the UKIP alternative.
  • Options
    There are many who have put money on a CON majority [ some have hedged, of course ] believe that the US President is Mitt Romney !
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Apart from "leaving the EU" which is going to be very difficult to implement and possibly have serious consequences for many of our fellow-Brits living in such places as France and Spain, let alone working there, what policies does UKIP have. Apart from withdrawing employment protection from workers?
  • Options
    FPT:
    @Tykejohnno. "UK has the highest density of population in Europe" [ or, in so many words ]

As usual you are talking crap ! Just because you repeat it does not make it correct.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934666.html

Malta, Netherlands, Belgium well above UK. Germany just behind us.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Fascinating battle on the ECHR developing.

Sadiq Khan going in to bat for the court in an interview for the Observer trailed in the Guardian.

Meanwhile, in the telly, a top judge says European courts have too much power.

Are labour going to line up behind the ECHR? Blimey.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Sadiq Khan going in to bat for the court in an interview for the Observer trailed in the Guardian.

Yes !! Let's puncture the anti EU bubble. Wasn't one of the sponsors of the ECHR someone called Winston Churchill. He used to be a Prime Minister.

The ECHR predates the EEC/EU and has nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    OKC,

"what policies does UKIP have."

I can't really answer for Ukip, but one policy is one more than Labour have.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

OKC,

"what policies does UKIP have."

I can't really answer for Ukip, but one policy is one more than Labour have.

And your point is?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Yes I am aware of that.

Kahn's point is that other countries are using our dislike of the ECHR to commit human rights abuses.

I guess he probably has a point, but I'm not sure that voters are that bothered about what's happening overseas right now.

Kahn will have to defend the court when the next major criminal is allowed to stay because of his human rights.

Best of luck with that one....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    OKC,

"And your point is?"

Why expect any party to produce a manifesto more than a year before an election?

I've voted LD for the last few elections (Labour before then) on the basis of what they represent not what their policies are. I suspect you do too. If I'm wrong, please accept my apologies.

If you know the LD policies already, I'd be interested in seeing them.

• Options
    What were the figures of all the 1200 or so cases that went to the ECHR from the UK the ECHR found FOR the UK for all but 12. Or something like that
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856

Both the Euros and the indyref will make things more interesting next year. It has been a dull year politically.

What's interesting is the relationship between the two. As things stand, No should win the independence referendum fairly easily. But, a triumph for UKIP across England and Wales might boost the Scottish Yes campaign, by driving home how different Scottish politics is.

• Options

MikeK said:

Apart from "leaving the EU" which is going to be very difficult to implement and possibly have serious consequences for many of our fellow-Brits living in such places as France and Spain, let alone working there, what policies does UKIP have. Apart from withdrawing employment protection from workers?
    Withdrawing from the jurisdiction of the ECHR.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Yes !! Let's puncture the anti EU bubble. Wasn't one of the sponsors of the ECHR someone called Winston Churchill. He used to be a Prime Minister.

It has a great deal to do with the EU.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

As I said, all to do with allowing the powerful to abuse the weak.
  • Options
    FPT:

surbiton said:
    FPT:
    @Tykejohnno. "UK has the highest density of population in Europe" [ or, in so many words ]

As usual you are talking crap ! Just because you repeat it does not make it correct.

No he is not talking crap. You are misquoting him. What he actually said was "England is officially Europe's most densely packed country". It is there just a few posts below your own.

And whilst city states and small islands like Malta may have a higher population density, England at 407 people per sq Km is well above the Netherlands or Belgium - or any other country in Europe.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

There is no damage to the economy of this country or the welfare of the people who live here that UKIP will not accept as long as we leave the EU which they hate manically .
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Or upholding democratic self-government, depending on who you sympathise with.

• Options
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

You really are doing well with the unenforced errors today Surbiton.

Whilst what you say may have been true in the past it is now not true. Membership of the EU requires membership of the ECHR. Indeed the EU is now becoming a member of the ECHR in its own rights so that even were the UK to leave the EHCR as a signatory it would still be forced to remain a member and adhere to all its rulings so long as it remained a member of the EU.

Secondly there is a long term project ongoing to unify and align ECHR and ECJ rulings which will make it possible for the ECJ to enforce ECHR rulings.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

There is no damage to the economy of this country or the welfare of the people who live here that UKIP will not accept as long as we leave the EU which they hate manically .
    Sorry Mark we need to correct that for you.

There is no damage to the economy of this country or the welfare of the people who live here that the Lib Dems will not accept as long as we remain in the EU which they love unconditionally.

There. It makes sense now.
  • Options
    pb2 is not letting me post, so I'll do my recap of last year's predictions and next year's predictions on here. Last year's recap to follow shortly.
  • Options
    2013: not much to write home about

At this time of year, I like to work out what I'm expecting for the year ahead, largely to clarify my own thoughts for betting purposes. But before I do that, it's important to look back to the previous year's predictions to introduce a note of humility and to try to work out where I went wrong.

So how did I do last year? Here were my predictions:

http://politicalbetting.blogspot.hu/2012/12/2013-unlucky-for-whom.html

The first thing to note is that I actually didn't make that many. That was not just cowardice but also an implied prediction that not that much would happen. I just wish I'd said so more explicitly.

So, my detailed predictions:

1. Labour will keep and perhaps increase its lead in the polls

Labour managed to keep its lead, but it has reduced over the last year. So while this prediction wasn't hopeless, it wasn't on the money either.

Where did I go wrong? I assumed that the economy wouldn't improve. In fact, the economy had a really good 2013. The YouGov polling on the performance of the Government has shown a small but meaningful swing in favour of the Government, and the swing to the Conservatives has been of a similar level.

In many ways, Labour has outperformed the economic backdrop in 2013. Can it continue to defy economic gravity?

2. UKIP will rise further in the polls

A big tick for me here. I was even right for broadly the right reasons.

3. But don't expect major changes in the identity of Britain's politicians

Another big tick for me here. But this was an easy prediction to make. For all three party leaders it's just too complicated right now to change things about.

4. The cause of Scottish independence will continue to languish

I'm reasonably happy with this prediction too. Even Panelbase, consistently the most favourable pollster for the nationalists, shows the same 9 point deficit it showed at the end of 2012. If the Yes campaign has shown any progress, it is in persuading erstwhile opponents to think further about the subject, with a rise in Don't Knows. But they have yet to be converted to supporters.

So I didn't do too badly for once. But 2013 was a quiet year. 2014 should be a lot more challenging. I'll make my predictions for 2014 in the next couple of days.
  • Options
    Apologies for those uninterested in my last post, but I find it helpful for my own purposes. And it's sort of on topic.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    @antifrank:

Thanks for that. Looks like you did reasonably well.

Off-topic:
    The BBC has short obituaries of the ex-MPs who died during the year:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25449128
  • Options

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Whilst what you say may have been true in the past it is now not true. Membership of the EU requires membership of the ECHR. Indeed the EU is now becoming a member of the ECHR in its own rights so that even were the UK to leave the EHCR as a signatory it would still be forced to remain a member and adhere to all its rulings so long as it remained a member of the EU.

Secondly there is a long term project ongoing to unify and align ECHR and ECJ rulings which will make it possible for the ECJ to enforce ECHR rulings.
    That is even better ! Churchill's dream being promulgated across Europe.
  • Options

FPT:

surbiton said:
    FPT:

No he is not talking crap. You are misquoting him. What he actually said was "England is officially Europe's most densely packed country". It is there just a few posts below your own.

And whilst city states and small islands like Malta may have a higher population density, England at 407 people per sq Km is well above the Netherlands or Belgium - or any other country in Europe.

Does England have a different immigration policy to the UK ? The UK is one country. I didn't realise you wanted Scotland to secede.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

There is no damage to the economy of this country or the welfare of the people who live here that the Lib Dems will not accept as long as we remain in the EU which they love unconditionally.

Nope it does not make sense now but I can see why a supporter of UKIP wants to change my words so that it matches their perverted dogmatic view of life .
  • Options
    taffys said:

Yes I am aware of that.

Kahn's point is that other countries are using our dislike of the ECHR to commit human rights abuses.

I guess he probably has a point, but I'm not sure that voters are that bothered about what's happening overseas right now.

Kahn will have to defend the court when the next major criminal is allowed to stay because of his human rights.

His name is spelled KHAN.
  • Options
    The talk here seems to be about UKIP, UKIP, UKIP when its not the Scot Nats dominating the thread. Is it only me who thinks that after the next election the UKIP manifesto for it will be about as relevant as that of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Sean_F said:

What's interesting is the relationship between the two. As things stand, No should win the independence referendum fairly easily. But, a triumph for UKIP across England and Wales might boost the Scottish Yes campaign, by driving home how different Scottish politics is.

What makes you think NO will win easily, what planet do you boys here live on.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

FPT:

surbiton said:
    FPT:

Does England have a different immigration policy to the UK ? The UK is one country. I didn't realise you wanted Scotland to secede.
    You've been caught out misquoting again. Just admit it and move on.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

The planet that's called reality where most Scottish voters live and intend, as polls indicate, to vote No by a wide margin.

Your cause is lost for a generation.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The talk here seems to be about UKIP, UKIP, UKIP when its not the Scot Nats dominating the thread. Is it only me who thinks that after the next election the UKIP manifesto for it will be about as relevant as that of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party?

The last Labour gov't went to court to establish that no manifesto was relevant after the election.

• Options
    The debate about the ECtHR is increasingly interesting. Both Lord Judge, the recently retired Chief, and Lord Sumption SCJ have added their voices to a growing list seeking major reform of the relationship between the court and the United Kingdom. The sophistry of Brighton has had little effect. It will also be observed that the traditional caricature of those seeking reform as 'hang-em, shoot-em flog-em' demagogues is simply untenable, as are numerous other arguments made in support of the status quo. As Lord Judge lucidly points out, it is irrelevant to the current debate that the text of the Convention represents laudable aims, or that it was written by distinguished British lawyers.
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

The planet that's called reality where most Scottish voters live and intend, as polls indicate, to vote No by a wide margin.

We shall see, I will enjoy your abject grovelling re your stupidity come September. Another one living in the M25 bubble.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Lord Judge:

"If it's right, it can't be overruled by anybody. I genuinely don't think that a body of judges - however distinguished - should have that sort of power."
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

The amusing arrogant complacency of SLAB replicated by an ARSE. :)

Perhaps you should consult your labour chums leading 'better together' as to how well their polling held up for the 2011 scottish election?

Or if you could finish your "cause is lost for a generation" stupidity with 'killing the SNP stone dead' that would complete your oblivious hilarity.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

If Tim is still reading, then the film 'Up' is on BBC1 at 18.50.

Just so he can see the inspiration behind "Look, squirrel!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBWrMQVsuak
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

Perhaps you should consult your labour chums leading 'better together' as to how well their polling held up for the 2011 scottish election?

Or if you could finish your "cause is lost for a generation" stupidity with 'killing the SNP stone dead' that would complete your oblivious hilarity.
    Who knows where the invisible man Darling is, sightings of him are rarer than rocking horse sh*t nowadays. Mcdougall the same , never seen speaking in public , can only do tweet or contrived address to their BBC chums.
  • Options
    "2013: The year when according to political punters, at least, nothing changed very much"

There may not have been another omnishambles from Osbrowne but it is very far from the static picture that some would like to believe as UK polling report highlights.
    Six public opinion trends from 2013

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8572
    The changes are also very easily spotted in the all polls trends.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

So for the first few months of 2014 it's going to be tories trying to rubbish the kippers with little Ed mostly keeping his head down but still trying to convince voters he can tackle the cost of living crisis.

The incredible idiocy of further alienating tory kipper waverers by spinning that a vote for UKIP is a vote for labour makes it an absolute certainty that will be the line spun by the out of touch twits. Meanwhile little Ed will still struggle to convince voters he truly understands cost of living issues as he gets drawn into internal labour arguments as well as immigration and EU posturing when it becomes clearer that the kipper vote is not just taking from the tories particularly when it gets higher.

• Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Claiming that because British lawyers were involved in the ECHR's creation we should respect it now is like citing the virtue of Trajan to justify the mutilations of Nicephoras Phocas.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

Quoting 2011 or 1992 (or, for older readers, 1970) is always a salutary reminder to those who expect the future to pan out as an extrapolation of the present. That said, the reason why we remember them and why they are quoted is because they were exceptional. The majority of elections produce a result pretty similar to the polls several weeks or months out.

The question the SNP and Yes campaigners need to answer is why they think the polls will change in the next nine months when there's been barely any movement so far. If they are to change, something has to prompt that: what is it?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

Quoting 2011 or 1992 (or, for older readers, 1970) is always a salutary reminder to those who expect the future to pan out as an extrapolation of the present. That said, the reason why we remember them and why they are quoted is because they were exceptional. The majority of elections produce a result pretty similar to the polls several weeks or months out.

The question the SNP and Yes campaigners need to answer is why they think the polls will change in the next nine months when there's been barely any movement so far. If they are to change, something has to prompt that: what is it?
    David, There has been a change both to Yes and Don't know. Most people have not really been engaged yet and unless the NO's do not come up with anything better than border guards, no money and European's ignoring us it will change quickly. Once people look at reality and see the failures and look at the last 50 years, where we are headed , the demonisation of the poor and disabled whilst the rich gorge themselves will have major impact on people, also the threat of more Tory government will mean that Labour voters sickened by their side propping up the Tories will mean labour voters will move to Yes as only alternative.

PS we are more than 9 months out so polls are not a real guide at this point , only the direction of travel, which is away from NO.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Yes I am aware of that.

His name is spelled KHAN.
    Any link to facts about Khan's point that "other countries are using our dislike of the ECHR to commit human rights abuses"?

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

As Malcolm has already highlighted there have been some changes and we are still nowhere near the actual campaign proper anymore than we are for the general election or even the EU elections.

The question the No side need to answer is what exactly are their plans to get out the vote and for the ground campaign in general? Those counting on 'flipper' Darling or a unionist friendly press to do all the work for them are going to be in for quite the surprise.

Perhaps a quick glance at the No campaign's 'rallies' and efforts to speak face to face with voters across scotland to date might be the salutary reminder some still seemingly unfamiliar with scottish politics need?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Mick_Pork

'Perhaps a quick glance at the No campaign's 'rallies' and efforts to speak face to face with voters across scotland to date might be the salutary reminder some still seemingly unfamiliar with scottish politics need? '

If that's the case, why is the polling so poor for the Yes campaign?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Regarding the ECHR, as our membership of the EU is contingent on us being signed up to it, one is engaging in a degree of sophistry if one were to claim the two issues were not connected. (At the same time, it is worth remembering that both Norway and Switzerland are signatories, and those countries are usually loath to pool sovereignty, so it is worth asking ourselves if we are cutting our nose off to spite our face here. I don't know the answer, I'm just asking the question. Of course, both those countries are members of Schengen too.)

Regarding population density: what a crock of shit everyone talks.

If England was excessively crowded, people would not come, and - indeed - people would leave.

It's very simple. You have the ability to vote with your feet, if you don't like how crowded England is. You can move to Scotland or Wales, or indeed any country inside the EU, and most of the countries in the world will welcome you with reasonably open arms if you are well educated.

You may not like how crowded England is. But you don't get to choose that.

That may seem outrageous. The British government should be allowed to blah, blah, blah.

But the town of Ipswich doesn't get to choose how many people live in Ipswich. It can't stop people from buying apartments in the town and living ten to the room.

Of course, it doesn't happen because there are better options available. The economic 'indifference principle' kicks in. It's like people who talk of 'demand outstripping supply', it's a nonsense made up by people who don't understand economics.

In other words, if England were 'full', then people would choose other options. (And the price of houses in Dundee would be significantly higher.)

But to repeat my earlier quote, you don't get to choose how many Scots or Welsh or Northern Irish get to live in this country. And you don't get to choose how many children Mrs Smith at number 11 has.

If there were 'too many', people would leave. And then there wouldn't be too many.

Stop trying to plan, and let economics and people's own feet make the decisions.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

The immigration vs aging population nonsense.

Hypothetical economy where someone of working age can support 1.5 pensioners but there are 2 pensioners per person of working age then obviously you have a problem but importing extra working age people is by definition not a solution if that support ratio remains fixed. If the x number of working age people it takes to support y number of pensioners stays the same then as those new people age you just made the original problem *worse*.

It's simple arithmetic.

(And that's without taking into account the extra costs of housing, schools, hospitals, roads, flooding etc.)

So the support ratio is the important bit i.e. whether it's 1.8 working people per pensioner or 2.4 working people per pensioner or whatever it is. So actual long-term solutions to the problem which weren't just ideological spin in disguise have to involve changing the ratio of how many working age people are needed to support how many pensioners.

Things that would do that include
    -increasing *per capita* GDP
    -increasing pension age
    -reducing pensioner welfare bill
    -not wrecking private pensions
    -using people's worklife taxes for pensions and not current expenditure
    -temporarily riding the pensioner population bulge and letting the population decline to a more sustainable level

etc

Adding more people - unless they are only large net contributors - obviously (by simple arithmetic) just makes the problem worse long-term.
  • Options
    @MrJones:

From a purely economics perspective - and ignoring all else - doesn't it depend completely on whether migrants are temporary or permanent.

So, if the Polish plumber comes here and lives and works for four years, and then returns to his family in Gdansk then he may well have (a) lowered the average wage of plumbers, but (b) will have positively contributed to the dependency ratio during his time in the country.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

I wouldn't have thought you were the only one on PB who thinks that
  • Options
    @rcs1000

'In other words, if England were 'full', then people would choose other options. (And the price of houses in Dundee would be significantly higher.)'

If people could take their job to Dundee they would,but of course in the real world that's not an option.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Winning the referendum was always going to be a tall order for my side. The default position is always one of No Change.

However, the Yes/No polling figures for a referendum like this aren't necessarily reliable. If they were, then all the polls would be giving a roughly similar level of Yes/No/DK support to each other, and they don't.

Psephologists like John Curtice have tried to discover methodological reasons for the disparity, but have been unable to unearth any.

Panelbase (the pollster showing the highest Yes vote) can't explain it either, but their explanation - that no pollster really has the methodology to accurately estimate Yes/No support - seems likely to be the case.

in that event, the best we can do is to estimate the levels of support from an average of BPC member polls, and that shows (excluding DKs) 40% Yes, 60% No. Given that the only further useful data that can be gained from the polls is the direction of travel within each pollster (when using the same methodology as previously), that's moderately encouraging for Yes campaigners. The trend across all these pollsters is from No to Don't Know. That shift from the default No is important.

Can that trend be continued? Can the DKs be converted to Yes? We'll need to wait to find out!

It would be a brave (or foolish, or partisan) person to assume that No will have an overwhelming win on 18th September.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    edited December 2013

Polls change, that's their nature. To suggest that current polling can be relied upon to stay static until a referendum almost 10 months away seems wishful to say the least.

Polling before the AV referendum, every PB Unionist's favourite example of the electorate's attachment to the status quo, regularly showed AV in the lead by anything up to 17 points ahead from Nov '10 to Feb '11, the momentum towards No happened in the last 3 months. Two months before the '95 Quebec referendum, polling showed No winning over Yes by 2:1, the actual result was a No win by just over a point.

If Yes was currently substantially ahead but losing its lead incrementally while bleeding support to Don't Knows, I'd be far from complacent.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    john_zims said:

@Mick_Pork

'Perhaps a quick glance at the No campaign's 'rallies' and efforts to speak face to face with voters across scotland to date might be the salutary reminder some still seemingly unfamiliar with scottish politics need? '

If that's the case, why is the polling so poor for the Yes campaign?

Same reason the polling was so poor for the SNP before the campaign actually got fully underway in 2011. Gauging just how capable a party or referendum side is of mounting a sustained and effective campaign is likely to be somewhat important for those who still don't seem to get it.

Alternatively the master strategy pioneered by Cammie's chumocracy of labeling their own activists as "swivel-eyed loons" might help the tories in next year's EU elections to just as good a result as the 2013 May local elections. Just in case anyone thinks elections or referenda are all about what an increasingly irrelevant and impotent press says or even a few party talking heads in interviews.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@rcs1000

'In other words, if England were 'full', then people would choose other options. (And the price of houses in Dundee would be significantly higher.)'

If people could take their job to Dundee they would,but of course in the real world that's not an option.

It's not 'their' job, it's a voluntary agreement between then, and their employer. It us not a possession.

They can always enter into a similar voluntary agreement with someone else, somewhere else. That they do not suggests they value the arrangement more than square feet. (And if you look at Hong Kong, people there like economic prosperity a lot more than a few square feet.)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

@MrJones:

From a purely economics perspective - and ignoring all else - doesn't it depend completely on whether migrants are temporary or permanent.

So, if the Polish plumber comes here and lives and works for four years, and then returns to his family in Gdansk then he may well have (a) lowered the average wage of plumbers, but (b) will have positively contributed to the dependency ratio during his time in the country.

Do we have any figures from the 2004 accession states? If the Telegraph is to be believed (yes, I know...) then the population of Poland alone has dropped by a million. Whilst only a proportion will be over here, it would be interesting to see how many would consider returning to their countries of origin in the future. (*)

Looking at my immigrant friends, few would. They are all well educated and earning large amounts in industries that are at best nascent in their home countries. Then again, I tend to associate with techies.

In fact, the number who have become UK citizens might be a useful pointer - they're less likely to do this if they're not considering settling permanently.

Perhaps it's a sign of how wonderful Britain is, that people prefer to live here rather than in Romania, Poland and elsewhere ...

(*) We also need to consider the damage it does to the countries who have lost large portions of their populations, especially when they tend to be young.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

That is even better ! Churchill's dream being promulgated across Europe.
    In exactly the same way as those who try to claim Churchill wanted Britain in the EEC/European Union, you are wrong to believe he wanted us to be bound by the sort of institution the ECHR has become. Clearly in both cases he saw Britain as being an example for the rest of Europe to follow without actually being a member of that club. It is very clear from the statements he made in the 1950s that he did not believe Britain should be bound to Europe either legally or politically in the way it has subsequently developed.

So as with all your other attempts to mislead this afternoon you are once again quite wrong.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Nope it does not make sense now but I can see why a supporter of UKIP wants to change my words so that it matches their perverted dogmatic view of life .
    The only perverted views being promulgated here are from a supporter of a party which is neither liberal nor democratic. Your twisting of both language and logic is shameful and frankly no more than I would expect from you and your rapidly diminishing party..
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

surbiton said:
    FPT:

In which case you are wrong AGAIN. Doing well today aren't you. I am a long time English supporter of Scots Independence for all the very best reasons both practically and philosophically.

But of course that wasn't the point of my post. The point was to highlight the fact that you deliberately misquoted TykeJohnno so as to make it appear he was wrong in his assertion when in fact what he said was absolutely correct.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Europhile though i am, I have reservations about all kinds of fixed constitution that elected MPs can't override - American history is full of exapmles of things that most people came to want to change but found they couldn't easily because of the Constitution - almost unbridled election spending and almost unbridled gun ownership, to name but two.

That said, the ECHR has a special mission, to protect individuals against unreasonable State action, and on the whole I think that's a useful backstop, even when I don't agree with them. i'm surprised that lpeople much more libertarian than me don't feel the same. If the EHR was entirely British, Judge's comments would still apply -it's not clear to me how much of the objections stem from the word "Europe" and how much people really object to court-enforceable individual rights against the State.

Note that AFAIK there is nothing in the ECHR ruling to prevent Parliament passing a law that a range of crimes, or possibly even all crimes, are punishable by the loss of the vote - it is not illegal to limit the vote to over-18s, so limiting it to people who have been imprisoned for crimes is not in principle different. What the ECJ objects to is sticking it in arbitrarily as an extra punishment with no legal basis. A reasonable compromise IMO would be to limit the restriction to people due to spend the next Parliament in prison.

• Options
    @rcs1000

'So, if the Polish plumber comes here and lives and works for four years, and then returns to his family in Gdansk then he may well have (a) lowered the average wage of plumbers, but (b) will have positively contributed to the dependency ratio during his time in the country.'

But if the average plumber is now claiming tax credits & other benefits because their wages have been cut then there is no positive contribution for (b). .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You may not like how crowded England is. But you don't get to choose that.

That may seem outrageous. The British government should be allowed to blah, blah, blah.

But the town of Ipswich doesn't get to choose how many people live in Ipswich. It can't stop people from buying apartments in the town and living ten to the room.

Of course, it doesn't happen because there are better options available. The economic 'indifference principle' kicks in. It's like people who talk of 'demand outstripping supply', it's a nonsense made up by people who don't understand economics.

In other words, if England were 'full', then people would choose other options. (And the price of houses in Dundee would be significantly higher.)

But to repeat my earlier quote, you don't get to choose how many Scots or Welsh or Northern Irish get to live in this country. And you don't get to choose how many children Mrs Smith at number 11 has.

If there were 'too many', people would leave. And then there wouldn't be too many.

Stop trying to plan, and let economics and people's own feet make the decisions.

Sorry RCS bit whilst I often agree with you in this case you are utterly wrong. We have a principle called Sovereignty which means that however much you may dislike it we do indeed have the right to stop people coming to the country. Your analogy with a town is incorrect. A more accurate analogy would be with ones own home. We have the right to stop random people coming into our homes if we choose - with the obvious exception of certain officials - and that is the same principle which most countries in the world also apply to their own borders. Indeed the example of Australia which was quoted earlier today is very good for this. I know you consider yourself to be a Libertarian but one prominent strand of that political theory is propertarianism and that certainly has a lot to say about the rights of people to move to a country against the wishes of the existing population.

You seem to believe that we should have free movement of individuals so long as companies wish to employ them. Since those companies can currently choose to dispose of that labour again should it prove surplus to requirement at a later date would you agree that under those circumstances the company themselves, having lobbied for open borders and the right to employ whoever they want, should also assume full responsibility for paying for that excess labour once they have disposed of it. By which I mean they should pay the full cost of all benefits, schooling, health care and retirement for any workers who would not otherwise have come to the country? After all, why should corporate entities be exempt from the costs of increased immigration that they themselves have demanded to help improve their profit margins? .
  • Options
    So if we can't believe the polls on independence what other evidence is there that the No campaign is making significant headway and likely to be victorious? Certainly recent elections be they local or Holyrood don't seem to show a stampede of support towards the SNP. And why if the Yes campaign is going so well have 3 of it's directors left?

I also can't help but think that the supporters of independence greatly underestimate the solidity of the No vote and how motivated it will be to come out on the day.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding the ECHR, as our membership of the EU is contingent on us being signed up to it, one is engaging in a degree of sophistry if one were to claim the two issues were not connected. (At the same time, it is worth remembering that both Norway and Switzerland are signatories, and those countries are usually loath to pool sovereignty, so it is worth asking ourselves if we are cutting our nose off to spite our face here. I don't know the answer, I'm just asking the question. Of course, both those countries are members of Schengen too.)

snip

I like the idea of higher house prices in Dundee. Ours is worth about 2.5 times what we paid for it 22 years ago which is pretty pathetic, barely better than inflation. If some claustrophobic Londoners want to come and start paying multiples of the current prices they are very welcome.

I agree that those who claim there is no link between the EU and the ECtHR are out of date. I think our own Judges are becoming increasingly exasperated with the lack of quality or reasoning in decisions of the ECtHR and it is healthy that they are saying so publicly.

The Court had worthy origins and aspirations but has simply become a run away train out of control seeking to justify its own existence. Basic Human rights are a bedrock to which all countries need to be held. Once they are protected how they deal with the more subtle points is a matter for them and their elected politicians, not any court. The idea that they can continually accress additional rights and protections by "interpretation" or judicial activism is flawed and needs to be stopped.
  • Options
    With regard to the ECHR, respect is earned not bestowed. It has given too many decisions that have undermined respect, even among those that sympathise with the policy results.
  • Options

Europhile though i am, I have reservations about all kinds of fixed constitution that elected MPs can't override - American history is full of exapmles of things that most people came to want to change but found they couldn't easily because of the Constitution - almost unbridled election spending and almost unbridled gun ownership, to name but two.
    The US constitution can be amended by elected representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Five_of_the_United_States_Constitution
  • Options

Indeed. In fact there are loads of amendments to the US constitution. Funnily enough it is often the amendments rather than the original constitution that are the greatest cause of argument in the US. Most of the contentious issues as well as most of the most important freedoms are contained within the amendments rather than the constitution itself.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

I wanted to comment on the thread this morning from David Herdson but Mrs Stodge insisted the Christmas sales were of greater import..

To be honest, Western Europe got 1989-90 wrong just as it got 1918-19 wrong but that's easy to say in hindsight. So much of today's political discourse flows from the events of the end of the 1980s. Without those pivotal events, I doubt UKIP would even exist today and certainly not in its current form while the frame of the European debate would be very different.

As it is, the EU has, through accident or design (and contrary to some on here, I suspect the former) become an organisation thoroughly discredited and distrusted by large sections of the British population though that may be true of all power structures and institutions of authority especially since the financial crisis.

I'm an internationalist by conviction but I can't defend the EU as it stands. Nor though do I have any enthusiasm for a post-EU UK as postulated by UKIP though I'm far from clear as to what that would be like. It remains to be seen what David Cameron (if he gets the chance) will achieve through his re-negotiation.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Read it again, it can't...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited December 2013
    Anthony Wells has done a summary of the year.

Lab lead:

Jan 2013 - 9.9%
    Feb 2013 - 10.8%
    Sept 2013 - 5.3%
    Nov 2013 - 6.9%
    Dec 2013 - 6.0%

The magnitude of the lead changed direction in Feb, Sept and Nov.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

So how did the 27 current amendments come to exist?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

?
    It's difficult. But it's supposed to be difficult.
  • Options

So if we can't believe the polls on independence what other evidence is there that the No campaign is making significant headway and likely to be victorious? Certainly recent elections be they local or Holyrood don't seem to show a stampede of support towards the SNP. And why if the Yes campaign is going so well have 3 of it's directors left?

I also can't help but think that the supporters of independence greatly underestimate the solidity of the No vote and how motivated it will be to come out on the day.

Those solidly pro or anti independence will indeed be strongly motivated to come out on the day. For either side to assume that everyone currently saying Yes or No to pollsters are solid for that position would be unwise.

That's why I don't pretend that I can characterise what people outwith those groups will do on 18th September. Equally, I don't use (frankly silly) terms such as "stampede", or make (frankly foolish) assumptions that referendum votes will proceed along party lines.

You, of course, are free to do as you wish.
  • Options

Note that AFAIK there is nothing in the ECHR ruling to prevent Parliament passing a law that a range of crimes, or possibly even all crimes, are punishable by the loss of the vote - it is not illegal to limit the vote to over-18s, so limiting it to people who have been imprisoned for crimes is not in principle different. What the ECJ objects to is sticking it in arbitrarily as an extra punishment with no legal basis. A reasonable compromise IMO would be to limit the restriction to people due to spend the next Parliament in prison.

It has been the custom in this country that prisoners do not get to vote, what right does an unelected court have to tell us that prisoners should 'vote'. Our law is not codified anyway...
  • Options
    oldnat said:

Those solidly pro or anti independence will indeed be strongly motivated to come out on the day. For either side to assume that everyone currently saying Yes or No to pollsters are solid for that position would be unwise.

That's why I don't pretend that I can characterise what people outwith those groups will do on 18th September. Equally, I don't use (frankly silly) terms such as "stampede", or make (frankly foolish) assumptions that referendum votes will proceed along party lines.

You, of course, are free to do as you wish.
    Many thanks for your (frankly patronising) response. No I don't believe that the vote will be fully along party lines. But if Independence was the likely outcome it would not be crazy to assume that the main party supporting independence would be making progress in the right direction. And as for the use of the term 'stampede', I hardly think that's the silliest term you'll come across in the independence debate.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

So how did the 27 current amendments come to exist?

An amendment is not effective until it is ratified by (3/4ths of) the States, of course.
  • Options

Many thanks for your (frankly patronising) response. No I don't believe that the vote will be fully along party lines. But if Independence was the likely outcome it would not be crazy to assume that the main party supporting independence would be making progress in the right direction. And as for the use of the term 'stampede', I hardly think that's the silliest term you'll come across in the independence debate.

Indeed, many silly terms will be used (on both sides) during the campaign (as always happens). Doesn't stop them being silly, though! That's why I was being (frankly patronising).

Given the scale of the SNP victory in 2011, it might be a little surprising if they had continued that momentum. In any case, a fair proportion of that vote was in response to the perceived incompetence of Labour in Scotland.

Despite the efforts of Nick Johnston and what the Scotsman describes as "a burgeoning centre-right movement for Scottish independence", I don't anticipate a significant shift among those on the right who define their position by their Britishness, though their may be some movement among their Poujadist element.

The critical group who will decide the referendum are those who traditionally voted Labour - or didn't vote at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I don't think the test is a 1.22 shot for the soap dodgers. Book adjustment:

Australia
    £33.06

England
    £78.24

The Draw
    £28.50 (Irrelevant)

Our batting has been utter garbage but our bowling has been ok this test !
  • Options
    oldnat said:

Indeed, many silly terms will be used (on both sides) during the campaign (as always happens). Doesn't stop them being silly, though! That's why I was being (frankly patronising).

Given the scale of the SNP victory in 2011, it might be a little surprising if they had continued that momentum. In any case, a fair proportion of that vote was in response to the perceived incompetence of Labour in Scotland.

Despite the efforts of Nick Johnston and what the Scotsman describes as "a burgeoning centre-right movement for Scottish independence", I don't anticipate a significant shift among those on the right who define their position by their Britishness, though their may be some movement among their Poujadist element.

The critical group who will decide the referendum are those who traditionally voted Labour - or didn't vote at all.
    You really ought to post on here more often.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Anthony Wells has done a summary of the year.

Lab lead:

Jan 2013 - 9.9%
    Feb 2013 - 10.8%
    Sept 2013 - 5.3%
    Nov 2013 - 6.9%
    Dec 2013 - 6.0%

The magnitude of the lead changed direction in Feb, Sept and Nov.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

The conservative share has certainly increased.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

It has been the custom in this country that prisoners do not get to vote, what right does an unelected court have to tell us that prisoners should 'vote'. Our law is not codified anyway...

Nah, it's the custom in this country not to punish anyone for anything without a law saying we can. If that principle is no longer valid, there are all sorts of interesting things we could do - seize all the property of anyone sent to prison, perhaps?

• Options
    Mr. Palmer, that's a silly post. Prisoners by definition have been punished for wrongdoing. If the judge mentioned below is right and the ECHR is unelected, unaccountable and cannot be overruled/ignored then it's clearly off the rails and in need of serious wing-clipping.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nah, it's the custom in this country not to punish anyone for anything without a law saying we can. If that principle is no longer valid, there are all sorts of interesting things we could do - seize all the property of anyone sent to prison, perhaps?

Well we can do that now, via the Proceeds of Crime Act.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited December 2013

Pulpstar said:

The bar on prisoners voting is not some kind of arbitrary custom or decision made by an official without reference to law.

It was officially passed into law by the Representation of the People Act 1983. (Edit: which in itself was a consolidation of earlier acts of 1870, 1967 and 1969)

The ECHR judgement seeks to overturn a properly debated and approved law passed by Parliament. You may not agree with that law but to try and claim it has no legitimacy or is equivalent to the arbitrary seizure of property is a dishonest position for a former (and perhaps hopefully future) Parliamentarian.
  • Options
    Last night's cricket was the most depressing day for England cricket since I started following cricket in 1990.

Even worse when we were bowled out for 46 in The West Indies.
  • Options
    If England was excessively crowded, people would not come, and - indeed - people would leave.

Many people don't realise how crowded it is until they get here and are forced to live on a roundabout in Peterborough or an old football ground in Hendon.

And people are leaving.
  • Options
    Cheer up, Mr. Eagles. It's a little over a month until the Six Nations, and then not too long until F1 returns.
  • Options
    This is my story of the year.

Even tasering didn't stop him self pleasuring,

Alleged masturbating man in Salem bar arrested after Taser proves ineffective, officials say

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2013/12/alleged_masturbating_man_in_sa.html
  • Options
    Front page of the Sunday Times

"Tories fear Scots will break away - Wake up, England, or lose Union"

The Sunday Times ‏@thesundaytimes 1m

Tomorrow's front page:

Tories fear Scots will break away + Bumper 4-page puzzle special

pic.twitter.com/jszUcolBny
  • Options

Cheer up, Mr. Eagles. It's a little over a month until the Six Nations, and then not too long until F1 returns.

I'm still traumatised by last year's Six Nations.
  • Options
    oldnat said:

The kind of traditional labour voters who, say, Dennis Canavan might well resonate with. Whereas those kind of traditional labour voters might not be quite so persuaded by the pro Iraq, pro PFI, pro private healthcare, pro 'deeper and tougher cuts than Thatcher' Alistair Darling.

Good thing they won't be on either side debating independence, oh that's right, they almost certainly will.

:)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Last night's cricket was the most depressing day for England cricket since I started following cricket in 1990.

Even worse when we were bowled out for 46 in The West Indies.

That is an utterly ridiculous over-reaction - and I speak as someone given to utterly ridiculous over-reactions.

This is just turning into One Of Those Tours - a summer-long Bad Day At The Office. From Trott going home with the abdabs to Swann retiring so suddenly, it's all gone wrong every way it can. I am sure it will be a whitewash. But - frankly - who cares? We recently won three Ashes series in a row, handsomely, and eight years ago we won the greatest Ashes series in history - a victory which will never be bettered, I believe, in the history of Test cricket.

This isn't England regressing to the Bad Old Days, it's a good team in serious transition who - just a couple of years ago - were the best team on the planet. If we lost the next two Ashes series 5-0 then yes, you'd have a point... But we're not there yet.

Calm down, soldier!
    Blimey, SeanT, the voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.