Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New polling tonight finds 64% thinking a deal is unlikely compared with just 16% who do – politicalb

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageNew polling tonight finds 64% thinking a deal is unlikely compared with just 16% who do – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I just hope we get a deal.
  • Options
    Biden backable at 1.06 again.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    FPT:

tlg86 said:

Thursday nights for Man Utd after Christmas.

Not unless UEFA deduct points from PSG (or if it resumes Istanbul wins).
    Aren't PSG 4-3 ahead of Man Utd on head to head? And why might PSG lose points?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

Apparently PSG have said that they won't play is Istanbul don't want to play.

So UEFA might see this as a not honouring a fixture issue.

UEFA have swapped the 4th official with the VAR which Istanbul aren't happy with, they want him removed.
  • Options

I just can't see it now. Johnson hasn't got it in him. He will bow to the loons who want to send our economy off a cliff for their fantasy.
  • Options

Biden backable at 1.06 again.

You can still get 1.05 on Georgia for Dems. That'a after THREE recounts which changed nothing. Quite incredible.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

Yes, they said on Goals Show on BTS1 that if Man Utd lose then there is no result at PSG which would allow Man Utd to go through.

(Unless PSG get points deducted which seems very unlikely).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,998

I just can't see it now. Johnson hasn't got it in him. He will bow to the loons who want to send our economy off a cliff for their fantasy.

Which means he gets deposed in January instead of December.

Is it really worth it?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

UEFA have swapped the 4th official with the VAR which Istanbul aren't happy with, they want him removed.
    Not sure how PSG can be in trouble. What do UEFA expect, a repeat of One Team in Tallinn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmgQEedBMY
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

Not sure how PSG can be in trouble. What do UEFA expect, a repeat of One Team in Tallinn?

Yes, remember they made Scotland replay that match.
  • Options
    I can understand Man Utd getting dodgy decisions in domestic competitions; I don't understand how they get them in Europe.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020

Awks.

twitter.com/BrianSpanner1/status/1336424592894799873

Not the real twitter account
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    FPT

BT have given me 6 months of Britbox free. Thought I may as well. Anything worth watching in particular apart from Spitting Image?

I watched an awful lot of Midsomer Murders over the summer...
    Haha - love a good murder. I've plumped for a 'rare' black and white episode of The Avengers - I'll see how I go with it! There seems to be quite a lot on here.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    What exactly is the point of getting the general public (who aren't privy to the negotiations) to guess the outcome? Hopefully we will all know one way or another tomorrow night although even then I wouldn't be surprised to see the suspense dragged out even longer.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Looks like the expectation management has been pitched just right. If a deal is done, it will look less like a capitulation, and more like a Meisterstück.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

And Man Utd will be out. PSG need to win to top the group.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Law5_TheRef/status/1335968224941371396?s=19

Not aure this is what the game will be remembered for.
  • Options
    Why would he claim he doesn't have Whatsapp? Even I have it, and I studiously ignored it for years. Not realistic that a politician these days wouldn't have it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Hasn't Bozo gone to Brussels to try and cop off with Ursula? After a couple of phone dates he thinks he's in with a shout.

Deal? What deal?
  • Options

Why would he claim he doesn't have Whatsapp? Even I have it, and I studiously ignored it for years. Not realistic that a politician these days wouldn't have it.
    Apple fanboy so insists on only using iMessage?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Two things about that third RB Leipzig goal.

1) Harry Maguire is the world's most expensive defender

2) What has happened to De Gea? I've never seen a keeper to go from such a peak to a trough.

He was very good at Leicester, and is good for England. At Leicester he did have the advantage of the magnificent Wilfred Ndidi in front of him.
  • Options
    And to think Ricky Gervais was taking the piss with his song title "Equality Street"....

Labour Birmingham council is accused of woke virtue signalling after naming new streets 'Diversity Grove' and 'Equality Road'
  • Options
    Foxy said:

2) What has happened to De Gea? I've never seen a keeper to go from such a peak to a trough.

He was very good at Leicester, and is good for England. At Leicester he did have the advantage of the magnificent Wilfred Ndidi in front of him.
    De Gea was at fault for the 3rd.

Far too slow off his line and Henderson would have had the ball in his hands while De Gea was thinking

I expect Henderson to become no 1 after tonight
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Johnson and Johnson will know by January if their vaccine works...

hnson & Johnson’s candidate remains promising for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the company is targeting a single-dose regimen for the vaccine, unlike most of the other players which require two doses (although it also started a two-dose regimen to evaluate incremental benefits). This should make it much easier to administer at the time of a pandemic, putting less stress on the healthcare infrastructure. Secondly, the distribution could also be relatively seamless as the vaccine is expected to remain stable for at least three months at refrigerator-like temperatures, unlike some other vaccines (such as Pfizer’s) that need specialized freezers. The vaccine is also likely to be relatively affordable. Per a deal with the U.S. government, Johnson & Johnson has priced its vaccine at about $10 per dose.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/12/08/johnson--johnson-the-dark-horse-of-the-covid-vaccine-race/?sh=2c5c5984560b
  • Options

Looks like the expectation management has been pitched just right. If a deal is done, it will look less like a capitulation, and more like a Meisterstück.

Yes, the PR has improved immeasurably since Carrie took over from that amateur guy. The impression given is that Boris has had enough, pushed the hapless Frosty aside, and stepped in to sort matters out with his fellow big guns. It's almost Gordon Ramsey-esque in its muscular trouble-shooting look. Boris's final speech to camera - 'They said we'd never get a deal, but through British fortitude, deftness and spunk I can this day announce...' - will be the cherry on the cake. His enemies won't stand a chance (at least for the time being).
  • Options

Foxy said:

De Gea was at fault for the 3rd.

Far too slow off his line and Henderson would have had the ball in his hands while De Gea was thinking

I expect Henderson to become no 1 after tonight
    Henderson was why Sheffield United did so well last season, compared to this one.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

And Man Utd will be out. PSG need to win to top the group.
    Utd deserve to be out and I am a Utd supporter
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I have always found that opinion about the Supreme Court very weird. The right wingers are mostly hardcore Constitutionalists. Their belief is the document written all those years ago still trumps everything else even today. So why would they find fudges to steal the election for Trump? It just isn't the way they see the world and why over the years they haven't always voted along what you would perceive as the party line.
  • Options
    By the end of today, the nation will reach the so-called safe-harbor deadline, which is generally accepted as the date by which all state-level election challenges — such as recounts and audits — are supposed to be completed.

Broadly, this means that President Trump’s efforts to overturn the presidential election are nearing the end of the line. After today, state courts would most likely have to throw out any new lawsuit challenging the election.

NYTimes blog

Meanwhile Biden is 1.05...
  • Options

Yes, the PR has improved immeasurably since Carrie took over from that amateur guy. The impression given is that Boris has had enough, pushed the hapless Frosty aside, and stepped in to sort matters out with his fellow big guns. It's almost Gordon Ramsey-esque in its muscular trouble-shooting look. Boris's final speech to camera - 'They said we'd never get a deal, but through British fortitude, deftness and spunk I can this day announce...' - will be the cherry on the cake. His enemies won't stand a chance (at least for the time being).
    The danger of sending Johnson is that he agrees with whoever he is speaking to, whether that is Ursula or the ERG.
  • Options
    What is going on with all this football stuff? We are supposed to be arguing about Brexit and debunking whatever Philip posts.

Not football. They do not even have fashionable shoes....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

I have always found that opinion about the Supreme Court very weird. The right wingers are mostly hardcore Constitutionalists. Their belief is the document written all those years ago still trumps everything else even today. So why would they find fudges to steal the election for Trump? It just isn't the way they see the world and why over the years they haven't always voted along what you would perceive as the party line.
    Plus of course, unlike GOP elected politicians, they are not beholden on Trump and the MAGA wing for their continued employment. Even those appointed by Trump can just ignore him.
  • Options
    Good to see the vaccination programme start today! However, in my 40s, I guess I'm a long way down the priority list!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The danger of sending Johnson is that he agrees with whoever he is speaking to, whether that is Ursula or the ERG.
    Fortunately he'll be seeing Ursula vdL, not Steve Baker.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    @londonpubman you do realise I want a deal, right? From a selfish perspective, anyway.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    edited December 2020
  • Options

Best not mention the spunk.

That has got Bozo into enough bother over the years.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Good to see the vaccination programme start today! However, in my 40s, I guess I'm a long way down the priority list!

Unless you've got an underlying condition, you won't even make the priority list!

Those of us higher up the pecking order would happily swap places with you if we could also swap ages :wink:
  • Options
    You would not believe this poll if you read this forum and Boris just one point behind Starmer in telling the truth

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1336425850103848964?s=19
  • Options

And to think Ricky Gervais was taking the piss with his song title "Equality Street"....

Labour Birmingham council is accused of woke virtue signalling after naming new streets 'Diversity Grove' and 'Equality Road'

Way to send property prices into freefall before you've even started.
  • Options
    "The Supreme Court’s order was all of one sentence, and there were no noted dissents."

NYTimes
  • Options

You would not believe this poll if you read this forum and Boris just one point behind Starmer in telling the truth

Let's revisit this at the end of January...
  • Options
    Something is spooking the markets. Note that Trump is out to 1.1 to leave in 2021 (cf 42 in 2024) and Biden & Democrats out to 1.05. The 14th is next Monday.
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.04
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.08
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.06
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.07
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.01

AZ Dem 1.05
    GA Dem 1.05
    MI Dem 1.04
    NV Dem 1.05
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.12
    Trump exit date 2021 1.1
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    The fact that there doesn't appear to even have been a written dissent sends a pretty strong message: "Fuck off, we're not getting involved in this".
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Lol so much for that crap about Trump getting a 6-3 advantage to strike down democracy. The judges are still judges, not slaves to Trump.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol so much for that crap about Trump getting a 6-3 advantage to strike down democracy. The judges are still judges, not slaves to Trump.

Thoughts and prayers for MrEd.
  • Options

@londonpubman you do realise I want a deal, right? From a selfish perspective, anyway.

Gallowgate I can't comment as the site stasi deem my original comment to be inappropriate!

:lol:
  • Options

Is this just fantasy?

Or is it real life?

You may feel like you're caught in a landslide but there's no escape from reality.
  • Options

Indeed but this is a long way away from the perception of most PB posters
  • Options

They could name one Andy Street to keep the Tories happy.
  • Options

They could name one Andy Street to keep the Tories happy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

FPT

BT have given me 6 months of Britbox free. Thought I may as well. Anything worth watching in particular apart from Spitting Image?

Haha - love a good murder. I've plumped for a 'rare' black and white episode of The Avengers - I'll see how I go with it! There seems to be quite a lot on here.
    Hellfire Club?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Maybe in the meantime you could explain how the supposed 'Worst PM Evahhh' is beating Sir Keir with a stick...
  • Options

Maybe in the meantime you could explain how the supposed 'Worst PM Evahhh' is beating Sir Keir with a stick...
    No idea. I guess most people don't agree with me. It has happened...occasionally. :smiley:
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Great tweet. My lib mates going on about this did my head in. And they were wrong, of course, as were the liberal bedwetters and Trumpton fantasists right here on PB.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Thoughts and prayers for MrEd.
    With him, Lucky Guy and Contrarian every step of the way at this difficult time.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    PSG game is being played tomorrow.

Starting again at point when stopped - ie after 13 mins with score 0-0.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

The fact that there doesn't appear to even have been a written dissent sends a pretty strong message: "Fuck off, we're not getting involved in this".
    Safe Harbour day has arrived.

It's over.

As it was on the day after the election.
  • Options

I think it was Sean Lock who came up with "Inequality Street" on the late night version of Countdown.
  • Options

FPT

Hellfire Club?
    Haha - no, one of the very early episodes - the main character is a Doctor and Steed isn't even in the episode I watched (though was a character in the series). It has worn pretty well for a black and white drama series. The later wacky comedy elements were largely missing.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    @TSE no need to worry about me - I know you’re concerned because it’s the second time you suggested prayers for me but I am seriously fine :) A few Grand up and just waiting to hear the excuses from many on here when Joe is played like an absolute fiddle by China. That’s if he’s not out before too long (apparently it’s an open secret in DC he’s in cognitive decline and Harris isn’t a popular figure in Congress so the feeling is that, when (and it’s apparently a when, not if) she takes over, things will get even rockier
  • Options

"The Supreme Court’s order was all of one sentence, and there were no noted dissents."

NYTimes

Clearly getting this PA lawsuit out of the way so they can concentrate on the new one where Texas sues all the swing states
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited December 2020

OnboardG1 said:

Safe Harbour day has arrived.

It's over.

As it was on the day after the election.
    NOT over! And Betfair were absolutely right to hold out for the surprise you didn’t expect!

Aliens have made a secret pact with Trump.

Ignore the other papers the Daily Star appear to have an exclusive on it.
  • Options
    Seems a rather stupid thing to do now, rather than in the course of the negotiations, as a bargaining chip.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

@TSE no need to worry about me - I know you’re concerned because it’s the second time you suggested prayers for me but I am seriously fine :) A few Grand up and just waiting to hear the excuses from many on here when Joe is played like an absolute fiddle by China. That’s if he’s not out before too long (apparently it’s an open secret in DC he’s in cognitive decline and Harris isn’t a popular figure in Congress so the feeling is that, when (and it’s apparently a when, not if) she takes over, things will get even rockier

Lol, I’ve seen more gracious concessions from your beloved Trump himself!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Even amid all the nonsensical stuff floating around, that as time goes by his own estimate of how much he actually won by, and therefore the extent of fraud needed to overturn that being so much more extreme, is pretty notable. By this time next week he'll be saying he was actually ahead by a lot in California, and on inauguration day he'll be saying he was only a whisker away from winning DC.
  • Options

I've seen stupider street names
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Is this just fantasy?

Or is it real life?

You may feel like you're caught in a landslide but there's no escape from reality.
    Was this the day when Philip finally lost it?

Does anyone actually have some benefit of access to EU market place without accepting some level playing field rules? Was such a deal ever possible?
  • Options
    On-topic, does it really matter whether the man on the Clapham omnibus thinks a deal is likely?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even amid all the nonsensical stuff floating around, that as time goes by his own estimate of how much he actually won by, and therefore the extent of fraud needed to overturn that being so much more extreme, is pretty notable. By this time next week he'll be saying he was actually ahead by a lot in California, and on inauguration day he'll be saying he was only a whisker away from winning DC.
    When Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, Donald Trump was there to greet him.

• Options

I don't follow this take at all. Some would always call it a masterstroke and some would always call it capitulation, do we have reason to beileve the pushing it (intentionally or not) to the very last second will have managed expectations to the point of changing those positions. I mean, even if it is not a capitulation and even if that is so obvious everyone accepts that, the response will be he shouldn't have left things so late. And if it is a capitulation to the point no one can deny it, the response will be that a bunch of people claimed Boris wanted no deal and so even if it was because of a capitulation those people are proven wrong.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The must be fraud in DC because did you see how much the Trump campaign spent on advertising in DC? They spent a fortune in advertising in DC yet supposedly got such a low number of votes? It doesn't make sense, because no competent campaign would spend such a large amount of money in DC unless they thought they were getting competitive votes there so that is proof there was fraud.
  • Options
    The emergency application was addressed to Justice Samuel Alito, who handles emergency petitions from Pennsylvania and the surrounding region. Alito could have acted on the request alone, but instead referred the matter to the full court. The court’s denial means that fewer than five justices supported the GOP bid

Plausible deniability? "None of us supported it, but we can say little and avoid the worst of the crazies as they won't know which of us did not support it".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Inside this unconvincing human disguise, is this one of the aliens swinging into action now? Is this why Trump has been confident all along, knowing he had aliens on board?

What if those white rays worked? We wake up tomorrow remembering how he won a second term?
  • Options

Don't forget this blog is more hard left than super ultra LAB Corbynista/Pidcock Society!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There's plenty for the other side to worry about with the makeup of the court, but even more so than Senators and Congressman there was no benefit to the justices sticking their necks out with so little to work from, even had they been so inclined. I mean, what does it matter to them if he gets pissed off they won't lick his feet?
  • Options

On-topic, does it really matter whether the man on the Clapham omnibus thinks a deal is likely?

No.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kle4 said:

The emergency application was addressed to Justice Samuel Alito, who handles emergency petitions from Pennsylvania and the surrounding region. Alito could have acted on the request alone, but instead referred the matter to the full court. The court’s denial means that fewer than five justices supported the GOP bid

Plausible deniability? "None of us supported it, but we can say little and avoid the worst of the crazies as they won't know which of us did not support it".
    Not really, the case wasn't completely facetious - undemocratic, facist yes but at the heart was an argument there that Act 77 violated the PA constitution.
    SCOTUS decided it was best to avoid as it's a state matter.

The Texas case is far far madder in my opinion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Truss has done a fantastic job.

It is remarkable how terrible a job Liam Fox did for years in the same role and how competently and quietly she's been able to just get on with it.

Most underrated member of the Cabinet by far.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Not really, the case wasn't completely facetious - undemocratic, facist yes but at the heart was an argument there that Act 77 violated the PA constitution.
    SCOTUS decided it was best to avoid as it's a state matter.

The Texas case is far far madder in my opinion.
    I was only teasing, from the sounds of it the court won't shy away from being clear when they act in concert, I was just struck that Alito could apparently have denied it personally without involving the others.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

Hasn't Bozo gone to Brussels to try and cop off with Ursula? After a couple of phone dates he thinks he's in with a shout.

Deal? What deal?

The call will have been just like that scene in Get Carter where Michael Caine is on the phone to Britt Ekland.

Take your bra off.
  • Options
    The reported action on early voting sites etc in Georgia, will that apply for the runoff selections? And does that effectively kill off the Democrat chances?
  • Options

It does in the sense that it would probably be more of a problem for Johnson if a large majority expected a deal and he didn't get one, and there is probably an upside for him if he gets a deal unexpectedly given most people think he won't (if the deal gets a decent reception). Expectations game, basically.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Truss has done a fantastic job.

It is remarkable how terrible a job Liam Fox did for years in the same role and how competently and quietly she's been able to just get on with it.

Most underrated member of the Cabinet by far.
    Yes. He’s completely lost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vk0Q0K28Pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wkO4hk07o

😟
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Is this just fantasy?

Or is it real life?

Was this the day when Philip finally lost it?

Does anyone actually have some benefit of access to EU market place without accepting some level playing field rules? Was such a deal ever possible?
    Whoosh! How did you not get that reference?

To answe your question then many countries have some benefit of access to EU market place without accepting the level playing field rules the EU wants the UK to accept. Canada for instance remarkably enough has a Canada style trade deal with Canada style access to the Single Market and a Canada style LPF.

All the UK is asking for is exactly what other countries already have so of course it is possible.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The reported action on early voting sites etc in Georgia, will that apply for the runoff selections? And does that effectively kill off the Democrat chances?

You mean this?

https://twitter.com/RElliotWSB/status/1336392637687984133

IIUC the legislature isn't currently in session, so they couldn't pass stuff to change the rules of the runoff even if the courts would let them.
This discussion has been closed.