Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BETFAIR, THE US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS, AND THE GAMBLING COMMISSION – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    Initial review of the Slovakia mass test is up.
    https://twitter.com/StfnFlsch/status/1334498853526130688

Our biggest failure over the summer was not to get this sort of scheme up and running. It might well have prevented completely the winter lockdowns - and would have been far, far cheaper than the test & trace program we have.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I think The Sun will go all 'Bless you Boris! For thou hast saved us!' They'll reckon that their readership is too dim to understand the finer points, and a failure by Boris will sort of suggest a failure of the very idea of Brexit itself. Rupert won't want his personal judgement denigrated like that.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/michael-flynn-suspend-constitution-martial-law-trump-reelection-b1765467.html

Trump is now calling for a re run of the November election.
    If Flynn got his way the USA is heading into a very dark place.

US Elections are protected by the constitution. There's no way on God's green earth any member of SCOTUS or the top brass of the military (See Milley's speech) would go along with that (Which is what matters in this scenario).
    I think even Pence at that point tells Donald 'enough'.
    He probably got the idea from Starmer.

Thank God we live in a civilised country where noone important would ever call for a second vote just because they were squarely beaten in the first.
    I'd be ok with another EU referendum now (Though I don't think there is appetitie for it), and probably vote the same way as before (remain). To try and have one before the initial result was implemented (leaving the EU), I agree was antidemocratic nonsense.
    You mean you'd vote to remain out now? Or you'd vote to rejoin? You can't vote to remain in now.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    At the hospital where my daughter works they have issued all staff with a self test Covid kit, very similar to a pregnancy test, and have asked them to test themselves daily.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Gavster does seem to have malfunctioned pretty badly this morning; is two independent gaffes in the same media round a record?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/michael-flynn-suspend-constitution-martial-law-trump-reelection-b1765467.html

US Elections are protected by the constitution. There's no way on God's green earth any member of SCOTUS or the top brass of the military (See Milley's speech) would go along with that (Which is what matters in this scenario).

Thank God we live in a civilised country where noone important would ever call for a second vote just because they were squarely beaten in the first.
    I'd be ok with another EU referendum now (Though I don't think there is appetitie for it), and probably vote the same way as before (remain). To try and have one before the initial result was implemented (leaving the EU), I agree was antidemocratic nonsense.
    How could you vote remain now that we have left? That wouldn't be an option.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Remain outside. I'm sure that's what @Pulpstar means...
  • Options
    Why the MHRA was relatively quicker:

Unlike regulators in the U.K. and some other countries, however, the FDA has not taken the data for the new vaccines on a rolling basis.

Recently, there has been disagreement between federal officials about how quickly after the Dec. 10 advisory panel an emergency use authorization could occur. The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Robert Redfield, has said that such a decision could occur almost immediately after the panel. But Peter Marks, who heads the FDA center responsible for the decision, has said instead that the decision would happen within “a few weeks.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/02/u-k-approves-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-putting-pressure-on-fda/

Expect Trumper tantrums.....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Presumably fish is being bigged up to be of critical importance since that's the only area where there is any hope of compromise with the EU. If we get an acceptable deal on fish, then Boris can claim victory and brush the climbdowns on LPF and governance under the carpet. It's either that or no deal.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932
    On Topic Thanks Peter I will complain to that E Mail today
  • Options
    Moscow’s mayor has announced that medical staff, teachers and social workers can begin signing up for a Covid-19 vaccination in the city from Friday.

The first jabs will be administered at the weekend and, as more of the Sputnik V vaccine is supplied, the mayor promised to expand the list of people who are eligible.

The gradual rollout, ordered by President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, will begin even while Sputnik V is still being tested for safety and efficacy.

With 28,145 new cases of coronavirus detected in Moscow on Thursday, and 554 deaths, the need for an effective vaccine is urgent, especially as the Kremlin continues to rule out an unpopular, national lockdown.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Another more general point is that it's highly irresponsible for Fauci and European politicians to be undermining the UK approval of the same bloody vaccine they will inevitably approve in days (FDA) or weeks (EU). All of this is just feeding the anti-vaxxer cycle, now you have the hugely respected Fauci being quotable as saying it's been rushed to approval days before the expected FDA approval and the EU implying the MHRA may have taken shortcuts weeks before their expected approval of the same vaccine.

Even on here we've seen normally smart people doubt the credibility of the MHRA despite the EMA previously relying on exactly the same MHRA for decades.

I said yesterday that politicising the vaccine approval by saying "because brexit" was a bad idea, I stand by that today and also extend my criticism to EU politicians seeking to undermine the MHRA because it has been better organised than the EU regulatory effort.

Your last two sentences rather contradict each other!

I understand that the EMA (or its agents) and the FDA are looking at additional information.

As I pointed out earlier, the trials are not complete and we are using interim data on relatively small numbers. There is inevitably a degree of uncertainty remaining until the trials are complete. It is a philosophical point to decide at what level of risk to authorise a vaccine.

On the whole I think it right to authorise, and am going to be one of the guinea pigs in the first out of trial bit of surveillance, so literally have skin in the game.

I was under the impression that Pfizer had now completed their trial, and had submitted those final numbers to the MHRA, which was why they were so confident they could get a speedy authorisation.
    Yes, that is what I've read elsewhere too. The "additional data" has already been provided to all regulators, the MHRA have just worked through it very quickly because they have been very organised.
    No, this is the breakpoint for evidence of efficacy, the trial is a 2 year one according to their protocol.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

Certainly the Swiss are awaiting additional data, and also have purchased several million doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/incomplete-data-stalls-swiss-authorisation-of-covid-19-vaccines/46196598

I think they are awaiting evidence of efficacy in different subgroups, which is important in terms of prioritisation, and assessing relative risk.

I am not a vaccine sceptic, and will be one of the initial guinea pigs when rolled out. There are risks involved, but probably less than the virus itself.
    Any idea what they might do with the placebo group ?
    When they signed up for the trial, it was on the basis that (if in the placebo group) they would not receive the vaccine for some considerable time. That's probably not going to be a realistic condition for the full two years.
    Interesting. If they are mostly fit and healthy, and 95 % of the population gets the jab, smashing the incidence rate to virtually nothing, you could justify not giving it to them. But then an idiot starts on about vaccine passports...
    If the vaccines work as anticipated and pretty much eliminate the virus through herd immunity, then there won't be enough cases coming up in either group to get much additional useful data on efficacy (essentially no one in either group will be testing positive, so there will be no further information on risk differential between groups as the risk from coronavirus to both would be ~0).

I suppose they could serve as a baseline group for safety - comparing observed (non-coronavirus) negative events in the placebo versus vaccinated groups.
  • Options
    The new Mini ?

China's best selling electric car (cost c.£4,000).
    https://insideevs.com/news/458005/china-wuling-hong-guang-mini-sales-november/
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Why must he use such ridiculous analogies though, searchlights this time, when do we launch the barrage balloons to stop a third wave. It doesn’t add to the message let’s have some plain fair English to convey difficult concepts.

I did think Johnson was particularly poor in using the searchlight analogy, but only caught the first few minutes, as had a busy evening session.

"A searchlight picking out an invisible enemy" or something on those lines. No amount of light can help see something truly invisible!

Like most of our politicians he has no understanding of science, he is a wordsmith and nothing more. Ignorance expressed in tortured wartime rhetoric.
    It all depends on one's definition of a wordsmith. Johnson is more a word-wrangler or even word-mangler.

Johnson the writer, like Johnson the statesman seems to be another over hyped product for his self-salesmanship portfolio.

He is better at politics than he is a writer/journalist!

P.S. Very informative header from PtP.
    That's PR for you. Pompous arse has transformed into 'wordsmith'
    If PB has taught us nothing else, we ought to be well aware that people who write for a living have some very wacko views. And an over inflated view of themselves.
    Indeed, one of the pleasures of PB is that amateur commentators often, but not always, write and analyse to a much higher standard.

Journalism and Op-Ed writing in the age of the Internet has a real problem. The free stuff can be appalling, ignorant click bait, but can also be far better.
    Here is the priority listing as it appears in the Times today.

Do you know where I can find a definitive definition of “underlying health conditions” as referenced in priority 6? Thanks.

Yes the JCVI green book.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/939119/Greenbook_chapter_14a___provisional_guidance_subject_to_MHRA_approval_of_vaccine_supply_.pdf

The part on underlying health conditions is lifted almost verbatim from the Flu jab green book

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/931139/Green_book_chapter_19_influenza_V7_OCT_2020.pdf

So I'm 99% confident that if you get the flu jab as I do for medical reasons you'll be in tranche 3 or 6 depending on how severe your medical condition is.
    If you are “extremely vulnerable” you will know as you will have had multiple communications from the Department of Health telling you what to do.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Gavster does seem to have malfunctioned pretty badly this morning; is two independent gaffes in the same media round a record?
    In what way is expressing an opinion on the strangeness of Eton a gaffe ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

‘There absolutely will be a black market’: How the rich and privileged can skip the line for Covid-19 vaccines
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/03/how-rich-and-privileged-can-skip-the-line-for-covid19-vaccines/

You know who you are. :smile:

We do...

• Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Nor is rejoin, at least not without an overwhelming majority to convince the EU that it wouldn't be reversed again within a few years.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

‘There absolutely will be a black market’: How the rich and privileged can skip the line for Covid-19 vaccines
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/03/how-rich-and-privileged-can-skip-the-line-for-covid19-vaccines/

"The concept of “essential workers” has already been tested during the pandemic, when Florida declared that World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) met the definition and could remain open during lockdown. The chairman of WWE, Vince McMahon, is friends with President Trump, while his wife, Linda McMahon, served in the administration and is chair of a pro-Trump super PAC. Neither WWE nor Florida’s health department responded to requests for comment about whether WWE would be considered essential for the vaccine rollout."

There was a hilarious clip I saw of them "wrestling" in an empty arena, appearing to smash each other to bits, then clearly somebody shouted ad break, and they just stopped and had a chat....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Saying how bloody wonderful the UK is compared to the ghastly foreigns is straight out of the BJ world beating UK playbook so presumably cancels out the other 'gaffe'? Gav safe for now then.
  • Options

Some 57,184 out of the 63,852 Covid deaths so far have been to over-65s; the vast majority of the under-65s who died suffered from severe underlying health conditions. There will no longer be any worthwhile case for lockdowns, restrictions and social distancing of any kind once everybody in those two groups who wants a vaccine has been treated: in fact, that should be the trigger for Covid Liberation Day.

telegraph

I agree govt lockdown measures should be lifted at that stage, although not sure what levels of personal risk one should take in the few months between the lifting and getting a vaccine if it happened.

Id expect though that the govt will take a more risk averse* view and still keep a looser level of restriction in place for that period until everyone has been vaccinated so it might not be a question that needs an answer.

*risk averse in covid terms, there are of course plenty of other competing risks.
    We're unlikely to get everyone vaccinated though? I'd imagine that some of the people in risk groups are exactly the people who we can't, in all conscience, vaccinate, and who would rely on the rest of us giving herd immunity.

Anyone know what the figures for this look like?
    Agreed was using everyone as shorthand for everyone who wanted a vaccine and it has been approved for (so perhaps not pregnant, certain pre exisiting conditions, children?).
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Another more general point is that it's highly irresponsible for Fauci and European politicians to be undermining the UK approval of the same bloody vaccine they will inevitably approve in days (FDA) or weeks (EU). All of this is just feeding the anti-vaxxer cycle, now you have the hugely respected Fauci being quotable as saying it's been rushed to approval days before the expected FDA approval and the EU implying the MHRA may have taken shortcuts weeks before their expected approval of the same vaccine.

Even on here we've seen normally smart people doubt the credibility of the MHRA despite the EMA previously relying on exactly the same MHRA for decades.

I said yesterday that politicising the vaccine approval by saying "because brexit" was a bad idea, I stand by that today and also extend my criticism to EU politicians seeking to undermine the MHRA because it has been better organised than the EU regulatory effort.

Your last two sentences rather contradict each other!

I understand that the EMA (or its agents) and the FDA are looking at additional information.

As I pointed out earlier, the trials are not complete and we are using interim data on relatively small numbers. There is inevitably a degree of uncertainty remaining until the trials are complete. It is a philosophical point to decide at what level of risk to authorise a vaccine.

On the whole I think it right to authorise, and am going to be one of the guinea pigs in the first out of trial bit of surveillance, so literally have skin in the game.

I was under the impression that Pfizer had now completed their trial, and had submitted those final numbers to the MHRA, which was why they were so confident they could get a speedy authorisation.
    Yes, that is what I've read elsewhere too. The "additional data" has already been provided to all regulators, the MHRA have just worked through it very quickly because they have been very organised.
    No, this is the breakpoint for evidence of efficacy, the trial is a 2 year one according to their protocol.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

Certainly the Swiss are awaiting additional data, and also have purchased several million doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/incomplete-data-stalls-swiss-authorisation-of-covid-19-vaccines/46196598

I think they are awaiting evidence of efficacy in different subgroups, which is important in terms of prioritisation, and assessing relative risk.

I am not a vaccine sceptic, and will be one of the initial guinea pigs when rolled out. There are risks involved, but probably less than the virus itself.
    Any idea what they might do with the placebo group ?
    When they signed up for the trial, it was on the basis that (if in the placebo group) they would not receive the vaccine for some considerable time. That's probably not going to be a realistic condition for the full two years.
    Interesting. If they are mostly fit and healthy, and 95 % of the population gets the jab, smashing the incidence rate to virtually nothing, you could justify not giving it to them. But then an idiot starts on about vaccine passports...
    If the vaccines work as anticipated and pretty much eliminate the virus through herd immunity, then there won't be enough cases coming up in either group to get much additional useful data on efficacy (essentially no one in either group will be testing positive, so there will be no further information on risk differential between groups as the risk from coronavirus to both would be ~0).

I suppose they could serve as a baseline group for safety - comparing observed (non-coronavirus) negative events in the placebo versus vaccinated groups.
    Also worth noting that trials can get stopped early if it becomes clear that the intervention is significantly advantageous compared to the control(s). There's often provision for all participants to get the effective treatment as a priority once shown (I haven't read the protocols for these trials, if available, so don't know whether that applies here).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,171
    This person on Twitter talks about themselves as if everyone else ought to know how important they are, but I've never heard of them before.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Breaking: islanders will have to travel to Portsmouth to get the vaccine

For care home residents, that should be *interesting*
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Saying how bloody wonderful the UK is compared to the ghastly foreigns is straight out of the BJ world beating UK playbook so presumably cancels out the other 'gaffe'? Gav safe for now then.
    I heard Williamson's vaccine comments on the radio earlier. They had a strong vibe of Alan Partridge when he went off on one about farmers. Hopefully nobody is planning to drop a dead cow on Williamson any time soon, but he should probably steer clear of canal boats for a while.
  • Options
    Keeping up the pressure to help ar brave lads playing hardball with them Eurocrat negotiators.

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1334500715448954885?s=20
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    Gaussian said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Nor is rejoin, at least not without an overwhelming majority to convince the EU that it wouldn't be reversed again within a few years.
    I don't know, I think they'd quite like tens of billions a year of our money.

Also, the tacit acknowledgement that leaving had been wrong.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Keeping up the pressure to help ar brave lads playing hardball with them Eurocrat negotiators.

all the cards
  • Options

all the cards
    Nimble.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

You mean you'd vote to remain out now? Or you'd vote to rejoin? You can't vote to remain in now.
    Rejoin :D - yes sorry !
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    I heard Williamson's vaccine comments on the radio earlier. They had a strong vibe of Alan Partridge when he went off on one about farmers. Hopefully nobody is planning to drop a dead cow on Williamson any time soon, but he should probably steer clear of canal boats for a while.
    I'd only read the transcript so was willing to accept that there just might be a bit of self deprecating, world beating British irony in amongst it.

Then I heard it.

Fuck
    ing
    hell
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Rejoin is unrealistic. We should, in my opinion, be in EEA/EFTA with Norway, Switzerland, etc. Where we should have always stayed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Fishing said:

Gaussian said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

I don't know, I think they'd quite like tens of billions a year of our money.

Also, the tacit acknowledgement that leaving had been wrong.
    Sunk costs and all that.

& Yes, it's obviously not going to happen for a very long time with Labour currently ruling out rejoining.
  • Options

Rejoin is unrealistic. We should, in my opinion, be in EEA/EFTA with Norway, Switzerland, etc. Where we should have always stayed.

I would be very content with that arrangement
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Andy_JS said:

This person on Twitter talks about themselves as if everyone else ought to know how important they are, but I've never heard of them before.
    He is a regular on the media to talk about how shit Brexit is. He was a nobody before that. Basically a more educated version of Stop Brexit Man.

"At the age of 27 he left his job and moved into his parents' loft to become a campaigner against Brexit, telling the Evening Standard that he made the decision to quit because he was "frustrated that the pro-Remain argument was not being made effectively by mainstream politicians."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313
    Scott_xP said:
    Nigel Farage tried to sink the 2019 deal, but Brexiteers weren't interested and Boris got the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure he'll get it this time.

• Options

all the cards
    We must have misheard Michael Gove when he said that. What he actually said was
    "The UK Government has all the cads."

(Back on topic, if the park is flooding now, presumably it's prone to flooding more often, which feels like a bad thing.)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902
    edited December 2020

Nigelb said:

We do...

That's a lot of flap generation using a total lack of evidence :smile: .

The only provider they have mentioned is the the Medical Director of a online clinic catering to execs etc, who is getting THREE texts messages a day asking "when" and says he won't break any rules. Yep, a Doctor not doing what he is not supposed to do for 3 people a day will wreck the whole process.

Then one of the worries is that people with mild versions of high risk medical conditions will "exploit their conditions" to "jump the queue".

Meanwhile, "people in the news media, such as reporters" are just stated as people who will have access, with no comment.

Media bullshitters, bullshitting.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    I'd only read the transcript so was willing to accept that there just might be a bit of self deprecating, world beating British irony in amongst it.

Then I heard it.

Fuck
    ing
    hell
    It was a joke.

Watch the video, he's laughing when he says it and so too is the host.
  • Options
    The fact that Gavin Williamson is a prize idiot is not news. I did tell y'all, back when he was Chief Whip.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140

all the cards
    We must have misheard Michael Gove when he said that. What he actually said was
    "The UK Government has all the cads."

(Back on topic, if the park is flooding now, presumably it's prone to flooding more often, which feels like a bad thing.)
    Was it empy before? (Like the new housing estate called 'Watermeadow' just below my Devon friend's house ...).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Then I heard it.

Fuck
    ing
    hell
    It was a joke.

Laughs at his own 'jokes'?
    Another black mark against the twat.
  • Options
    At least he has a sense of humour unlike those outraged at his comments.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Then I heard it.

Fuck
    ing
    hell
    It was a joke.

Laughs at his own 'jokes'?
    Another black mark against the twat.
    Williamson is not fit to be a cabinet minister

That is all that needs to be said
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Rejoin :D - yes sorry !
    Good idea. Rejoining I mean, not saying sorry!
    Probably the worst decision Britain's made, apart from partitioning India.
  • Options
    Interesting tweet, from a well-informed source:

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1334515838636978176
  • Options

He is still hopeless though
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Why must he use such ridiculous analogies though, searchlights this time, when do we launch the barrage balloons to stop a third wave. It doesn’t add to the message let’s have some plain fair English to convey difficult concepts.

I did think Johnson was particularly poor in using the searchlight analogy, but only caught the first few minutes, as had a busy evening session.

"A searchlight picking out an invisible enemy" or something on those lines. No amount of light can help see something truly invisible!

Like most of our politicians he has no understanding of science, he is a wordsmith and nothing more. Ignorance expressed in tortured wartime rhetoric.
    It all depends on one's definition of a wordsmith. Johnson is more a word-wrangler or even word-mangler.

Johnson the writer, like Johnson the statesman seems to be another over hyped product for his self-salesmanship portfolio.

He is better at politics than he is a writer/journalist!

P.S. Very informative header from PtP.
    That's PR for you. Pompous arse has transformed into 'wordsmith'
    If PB has taught us nothing else, we ought to be well aware that people who write for a living have some very wacko views. And an over inflated view of themselves.
    Indeed, one of the pleasures of PB is that amateur commentators often, but not always, write and analyse to a much higher standard.

Journalism and Op-Ed writing in the age of the Internet has a real problem. The free stuff can be appalling, ignorant click bait, but can also be far better.
    Here is the priority listing as it appears in the Times today.

Do you know where I can find a definitive definition of “underlying health conditions” as referenced in priority 6? Thanks.

Yes the JCVI green book.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/939119/Greenbook_chapter_14a___provisional_guidance_subject_to_MHRA_approval_of_vaccine_supply_.pdf

The part on underlying health conditions is lifted almost verbatim from the Flu jab green book

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/931139/Green_book_chapter_19_influenza_V7_OCT_2020.pdf

So I'm 99% confident that if you get the flu jab as I do for medical reasons you'll be in tranche 3 or 6 depending on how severe your medical condition is.
    If you are “extremely vulnerable” you will know as you will have had multiple communications from the Department of Health telling you what to do.
    Indeed, those will be the people in tranche 4.
  • Options

The fact that Gavin Williamson is a prize idiot is not news. I did tell y'all, back when he was Chief Whip.

The mystery is how he got to become Chief Whip in the first place, let alone where he is now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

Yep, suggesting Eton might admit girls is hilarious.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1334517749373161478

'Questionable' is putting it very mildly. Ignore anything from @jdpoc
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289

The harder the Brexit, the easier it is to argue for "hard" rejoin
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yep, suggesting Eton might admit girls is hilarious.
    They admit girls to the VIth form of the boys school my grandson attends. As a VIth former, he thinks it's quite a good idea!
  • Options

The mystery is how he got to become Chief Whip in the first place, let alone where he is now.
    I think it must have been the tarantula that got him the job. It gave him an air of quiet but ill-defined menace ideal for the Chief Whip gig.
  • Options
    Feck, I didn't even know that there was going to be a LOTR tv show. I've got a bad feeling about this.

https://twitter.com/MarcoGBiagi/status/1334518793222152193?s=20
  • Options

The first step of the climbdown?
  • Options

I think it must have been the tarantula that got him the job. It gave him an air of quiet but ill-defined menace ideal for the Chief Whip gig.
    Maybe they should have appointed the tarantula instead. Bet there wouldn't be 70 odd rebels then!
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I see people on here regularly also posting tweets from that "Nick" guy, who claims exclusive breaking news every day about how bad Brexit will be, and who as far as I can tell has no real special insight.
  • Options
    Wasn't Gove against the idea?
  • Options

Feck, I didn't even know that there was going to be a LOTR tv show. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Dune.

Enough said.
  • Options
    I did say that yesterday plus cruise lines

See Ryanair have ordered 75 additional Boeing 737 max jets at 9 billion dollars

Sure Airbus will be upset
  • Options

I wonder who's going to play Gollum/Smeagol?
  • Options

Why climbdown when negotiations involve giving and taking
  • Options

"governance if systematic divergence". In other words there won't be any divergence for the short to medium term. In other words we leave the free trade area and instead have trade that is free. No more free movement. just movement that we have chosen to be free. Etc etc.

Johnson is presumably down to his final few options of lipstick colour for the pig.
  • Options

Ryanair have never bought Airbus so I doubt they'll be surprised. And I very much doubt Ryanair are paying anything close to 9 billion dollars - that's the "list price" - not what Ryanair have got out of Boeing!
  • Options

Anyone's guess.
  • Options

This doesn’t sound like the EU buckling to me.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Maybe Alex Salmond, if he can only remember to say "precious" instead of "first minister"?
  • Options

This idea anyone is buckling ignores any negotiations where a deal is being thrashed out

Maybe wait for the detail if and when a deal is struck
  • Options

Don't knock Ryanair; they've been declared Europe's BEST-PERFORMING airline of the past 10 years in Decade of Airline Excellence Awards.
    And, to be fair, what you see, and pay for, is what you get.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

Why climbdown when negotiations involve giving and taking
    I am giving and taking
    You are being unreasonable
    He/She has to climedown
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Ryanair have long been all 737 (while Easyjet are all Airbus), to avoid the overhead of different crews and maintenance for different types. Hence they're not going to switch unless Boing falls a long way behind on running costs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Maybe Alex Salmond, if he can only remember to say "precious" instead of "first minister"?
    Interesting suggestion but no good - Mr S is too substantial. Gollum is skinny!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited December 2020

Don't knock Ryanair; they've been declared Europe's BEST-PERFORMING airline of the past 10 years in Decade of Airline Excellence Awards.
    And, to be fair, what you see, and pay for, is what you get.
    To be honest I would not fly Ryanair if they were the last airline standing

Also I did not know they did not support Airbus
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    edited December 2020

The desperation of some otherwise sensible posters here for their own country to sign up to an unfavourable trade deal is tragicomic. It's like someone punching themself in the face - it almost calls for some form of medical help.
  • Options

This idea anyone is buckling ignores any negotiations where a deal is being thrashed out

Eh? I'm not one of the few who's been saying for months that the EU would "buckle" because "we hold all the cards".

Frankly I'm happy that a deal looks closer today.
  • Options
    Interestingly if that report is accurate, it means it's exactly what @HYUFD said would happen.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Interesting suggestion but no good - Mr S is too substantial. Gollum is skinny!
    It's a CGI. I think Andy Serkis who played him in the films was bigger than Gollum too.
  • Options

The desperation of some otherwise sensible posters here for their own country to sign up to an unfavourable trade deal is tragicomic. It's like someone punching themself in the face - it almost calls for some form of medical help.
    You think that just because I favour a deal over no deal I need medical help?

It's a view.
  • Options

I did search online for a more reliable source - but all I got was a month old story about how heavy rain had delayed works so they were going to start working Sundays to catch up. Nothing more recent - other than Manston airport will be used as a lorry park.

• Options

It's a view.
    No, I think the fact that several posters here appear desperately to want Bojo to get a bloody nose and for the worst possible outcome for Britain from these negotiations to occur, when most of us live and work in the UK, is bordering on medical.

I would be strongly against rejoining the EU, ever. But if we were ever to do so, I wouldn't be hoping to accede on the worst possible terms so that everyone would be taught a lesson for their foolish error. I'd be rooting for the best possible outcome.
  • Options

It's a view.
    No, I think the fact that several posters here appear desperately to want Bojo to get a bloody nose and for the worst possible outcome for Britain from these negotiations to occur, when most of us live and work in the UK, is bordering on medical.

I would be strongly against rejoining the EU, ever. But if we were ever to do so, I wouldn't be hoping to accede on the worst possible terms so that everyone would be taught a lesson for their foolish error. I'd be rooting for the best possible outcome.
    "Worst possible outcome for Britain" is of course entirely subjective.
  • Options

Eh? I'm not one of the few who's been saying for months that the EU would "buckle" because "we hold all the cards".

Frankly I'm happy that a deal looks closer today.
    I have never believed we hold all the cards but equally neither does the EU

A deal needs compromise on both sides
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313

It's a view.

The best possible outcome in that case would presumably be the same terms as Germany?
  • Options

I'm sure the EU will, in the end, be prepared to climb down on fish, but only in return for major UK concessions on LPF and governance. That's because the latter are central to the raison d'etre of the EU, whereas the former is not.

I suppose there will be a deal if Boris can be convinced that his win on fish can be sold as sufficient compensation for conceding on LPF and governance. Otherwise there will be no deal, other than, perhaps, mini-deals to keep the planes flying, etc.
  • Options

It's a view.

It's a view.

I'm not saying a deal is the worst possible outcome - on balance I think from here, a deal is the best outcome. I am saying some PBers are actively cheering for the worst possible outcome, because it would salve their Brexit pain by humiliating Boris, and all their other perceived tormentors. If you're mature and clear headed enough not to be one of them, good for you and sorry to have troubled you.
  • Options

It's a view.

It's a view.

I'm not saying a deal is the worst possible outcome - on balance I think from here, a deal is the best outcome. I am saying some PBers are actively cheering for the worst possible outcome, because it would salve their Brexit pain by humiliating Boris, and all their other perceived tormentors. If you're mature and clear headed enough not to be one of them, good for you and sorry to have troubled you.
    Good post
  • Options

By the EU?

If we have the right to set our own rules unilaterally and they have the right to retaliate if there's systematic divergence then that is a great deal.

It means we have the power to do whatever we want, which is the whole point of Brexit. If we do something they dislike then there could and should be a procedure to deal with that.

That's a proper trade deal. Not LPF nonsense tying us into their rules.
  • Options

I did search online for a more reliable source - but all I got was a month old story about how heavy rain had delayed works so they were going to start working Sundays to catch up. Nothing more recent - other than Manston airport will be used as a lorry park.

At a Zoom u3a meeting I participated in earlier this week we were shown, inter alia, a talk by Carole Cadwallader about the misinformation on the the internet generally and Facebook in particular.
  • Options

At a Zoom u3a meeting I participated in earlier this week we were shown, inter alia, a talk by Carole Cadwallader about the misinformation on the the internet generally and Facebook in particular.
    She is an expert on misinformation.
  • Options

Wasn't Gove against the idea?
    Countries are going to start asking for proof of immunisation from arrivals - Qantas have already said they'll amend their T&C once there's wide availability. It's inevitable. Another f*ck up by the UK government.

Closer to home, Guernsey has 4 COVID cases - all from arrivals, tested on arrival and all self-isolation.

Jersey has over 300 cases and uncontrolled community spread, so they're shutting down hospitality until 2021.
This discussion has been closed.